Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Everything Is Great! (1) / S02.E02: Everything Is Great! (2)

Having had their memories erased by ambitious master architect Michael, Eleanor, Chidi, Tahani and Jason again settle into the Good Place, unaware of what has previously transpired...except that Eleanor discovers the one clue she had left for herself and attempts to piece things together.

Promo:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

So Micheal's retirement was not a lie. He actuall will be torn into pieces stretched over a billion stars and tortured for eternity. Fun! It makes more sense that that would be the retirement for a demon rather than for somebody running a good place, though.

Is it just me or was Sean more into this whole thing last season? I mean he wasn't extatic, but he was interested in how it would all play out.

Wondering how long attempt three will last. Will the demon formerly known as real Elenor bring this all down because she feels underutilised and underapreciated and thus overdo it and give everything away? Guess we'll see.

This season is certainly already a lot of fun. Once again I wish this was Netflix and I could just binge it.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 13

It's just been added to Canadian Netflix, I know that. I thought it was on US Netflix this entire time?

Most multicultural U.S. show ever.  For that reason I will tune in every week even though so far I'm kind of dismayed that last season was all blown apart.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7

Prediction: This season we will learn that this is actually Michael's torture somehow.

This reminds me of the Joe Schmo show, where a fake reality show was constructed with outrageous reality show events to fool the one person not in the know. The first season (Big Brother clone) had lots of close calls, but the reveal didn't happen until the intended point. The second season (Dating competition show) had two marks, and one figured it out midway through. The show then drafted her to become a character herself.

Michael's plan seems too exacting to ever work. Things had to go wrong in exactly the right way, rather than an improv-like take what is there and go from there. Given what we've seen I don't know how long they can maintain this status quo.

Lots of fun so far.

• Love 23

Loved it. So glad this show is back.

Even without the note, Michael's in for some trouble. The characters retained a bit of their growth from the first season. Janet and Jason may actually be soulmates. Chidi made a decision rather quickly. (Yes, it was an obvious decision, but I could see the ramifications of just having to make such a decision giving him a stomach ache.) Tahani was coming to apologize and admit a mistake. Eleanor wasn't nearly as much of an ashhole as she was in episode 1. Plus, Vicki is so much fun.

God, I would LOVE a twist in which Michael is actually a human, too. (Or I suppose he could be a deceased demon, as long as our fab four are still real.) Season 3 could look at Sean pulling all the strings behind Michael's back... I mean, success is impossible, failure means retirement, Eleanor's so sharp, and his actors are revolting. It works.  

• Love 11

That was too funny and please more Denise.. I know she’s a demon IR whatever and says it’s because she wants a bigger role.. But I think she’s got an itch for chidi… Can’t wait fir the rest if the season.. I hope we get more of the other demons screwing with our heroes… And if he gets time off from his Fox show Adam Scott as Trevor

• Love 4

This show is amazing! Confounding expectations once again. This time, the expectation is that Season 2 will be all about the Fab Four somehow finding each other and figuring it all out despite Michael's attempt to keep them apart. And then that happens...the first week?!??!??

So next week is going to be The Good Place 3.0. Will the week after that be 4.0? Ah, but that's what I now expect! So it won't happen that way. 

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 11

So, so good. Was Jason's "soul mate" (the one who was enamored by the fire) on last season? I know that Bambajan (or something like that) is on again this season, but didn't recognize anyone else other than "Denise."

Really good beginning of the season. Love the new dynamic of seeing things from Michael's side. It seems like that eventually the demons may end up being tortured more than the humans. Michael's idea sounds good in theory that I'm sure the demons were excited by it at first but now it seems like a lot of work. Michael, as another poster stated, is making things too elaborate. 

Denise, former real Eleanor, is going to be a problem for Michael eventually.

Love Eleanor continually making side comments about Tahani being hot. Do wonder if that will go somewhere besides side comments? Though did notice Eleanor's reaction to Chidi's soulmate. I like either pairing. Hell I just want the four humans and Janet to have more crazy adventures. I am wondering what Michael will do to try to keep them apart or will he?

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Aileen said:

So, so good. Was Jason's "soul mate" (the one who was enamored by the fire) on last season? I know that Bambajan (or something like that) is on again this season, but didn't recognize anyone else other than "Denise."

I recognize the two Asian ladies at least. One had her dog kicked into the sun, and the other had complaints to Eleanor. And the couple who tried to swing with Chidi and Eleanor (balding white guy/black lady).

It occurs to me if the show runs long enough (God or nondenominational diety willing), we'll probably see the actual Good Place since we've only seen the Bad Place and the Medium Place (assuming that's real) so far.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

I recognize the two Asian ladies at least. One had her dog kicked into the sun, and the other had complaints to Eleanor. And the couple who tried to swing with Chidi and Eleanor (balding white guy/black lady).

The two ladies were Pevita (with Teacup the dog) and Jessica. Probably more will be shown as the season continues. And Gunnar / Chuck who was the one who wanted to be able to bite them. 

1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

That was too funny and please more Denise.. I know she’s a demon IR whatever and says it’s because she wants a bigger role.. But I think she’s got an itch for chidi… Can’t wait fir the rest if the season.. I hope we get more of the other demons screwing with our heroes… And if he gets time off from his Fox show Adam Scott as Trevor

Vicky is great and I think you are right. The way she introduced herself to Chidi at the pizza place she was clearly flirting with him. She was desperately trying to reintroduce herself to him with that limp (despite not having one earlier) until Angelique blocked her. Then we find out where the limp came from later.  Maybe it was all to torture him as she knows adding another love interest would make him even more miserable. Can't wait to find out.  

I had acted in Rashomon in high school. I love the style of different perspectives being used there. 

I had hoped we'd find out how Tahani died. We know they died from their worst traits. Eleanor (narcissism = arguing with the guy she constantly ignored led her to hit by a truck), Chidi (indecisiveness = air conditioner fell on him), and Jason (stupidity = suffocated in a safe), but not Tahani yet. Likely from some way to get back at her sister. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 4

I think Tahani actually comes off worse this round than before. She was incredibly rude to her "soulmate" this time, where in Round 1 she tried with Jianyu.

The demons all seem so dimwitted! I didn't notice that before. Trevor's demons seemed snide but not necessarily incompetent.

• Love 7
59 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Prediction: This season we will learn that this is actually Michael's torture somehow.

This is exactly what I was thinking, especially since Michael's staff is so unruly and unwilling to comply with his plan this time around.

This reminds me of the Joe Schmo show, where a fake reality show was constructed with outrageous reality show events to fool the one person not in the know. The first season (Big Brother clone) had lots of close calls, but the reveal didn't happen until the intended point. The second season (Dating competition show) had two marks, and one figured it out midway through. The show then drafted her to become a character herself.

I went to law school with the guy from season one of the Joe Schmo show. He got the call that he was cast not even a week into the first semester of our 1L year. I remember all of us telling him to ask for a 1 year deferment. And then the show aired and we felt like jerks. We didn't know it was going to turn into the Joe Schmo Show, but we all felt kinda bad for Matt.

Michael's plan seems too exacting to ever work. Things had to go wrong in exactly the right way, rather than an improv-like take what is there and go from there. Given what we've seen I don't know how long they can maintain this status quo.

Lots of fun so far.

The reason Joe Schmo worked was because they had really talented improv comedians in the cast. Kristen Wiig was in that cast. Michael's plan is too regimented to work. What Tahani's freak out demonstrated is that any of them could quickly take the chaos engine role away from Eleanor and drive the narrative. Michael has got to be a little bit more open to improv. It's a little inside baseball, but I would love it if we see Michael trying to lead his staff through improv exercises.

The 4 of them do seem to be growing and becoming better. And Jason and Janet seem like they might actually be soulmates.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I think Tahani actually comes off worse this round than before. She was incredibly rude to her "soulmate" this time, where in Round 1 she tried with Jianyu.

The demons all seem so dimwitted! I didn't notice that before. Trevor's demons seemed snide but not necessarily incompetent.

I think they seem incompetent because they're out of their element. They have to pretend to be nice (no biting or twisting).

interesting Eleanor caught on so quickly. I wonder if Michael will eventually see his interests align with the 4. He can avoid retirement if they all go in on a ruse against Sean. 

I kind of missed the sense of danger this time. Knowing the twist kind of took away some of the suspense. The end restore that again to an extent. The show had a brisk pace last season and I hope to see that continue.

The irrational irritation at little things is possibly my favorite part of this show. The references to odd forms of torture was a funny addition this time. 

• Love 12

I really wasn't expecting the premise to be blown up again by the end of the premiere. What a great twist.

Vicky really is well-suited to this more subtle Bad Place, which is why it's a shame for her that Michael gave her so little to do.

Now that we know this show has crazy twists in store, I think @Fukui San's prediction is right. Things went as badly for Michael as they did for the human four.

• Love 5

Schur said in an interview the medium place is real. 

Michael pushed way too hard on tehani and Jason.  Jason wouldn't have been able to hold up the deception 24/7, and tehani wasn't taken down a peg she was shoved off the ladder. The giant picture of her sister was good, but the rest was too much for her to handle

• Love 18

So good! I am so glad this show is back!

I think what I liked best was seeing the behind the scenes machinations of Michael and his crew. I thought it was neat to see the ways they were working against the 4. Also am liking the dynamic where the crew isn’t totally on board with Michael’s plan and want to do things the old fashioned way. Between them and Shawn, Michael is going to have an uphill battle.

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I think that was the point. Her soulmate is a short guy who has little to no appreciation for the posh lifestyle she was used to. She lives in a very small place with a picture of her arch-nemesis on the wall. She was more tortured than ever before.   

In round one, she had the benefit of living in a mansion wearing the fancy clothes she would wear while alive. When Jianyu (Jason) kept to himself, it was frustrating as she was lonely, but she wasn't really tortured until her feelings for Chidi surfaced. 

24 minutes ago, MarquisDeCarabas said:

Michael pushed way too hard on tehani and Jason.  Jason wouldn't have been able to hold up the deception 24/7, and tehani wasn't taken down a peg she was shoved off the ladder. The giant picture of her sister was good, but the rest was too much for her to handle

Right. Jason could just hide in solitude in the bud hole. Torture for sure as he did want companionship, but it was better than stuck in a yogurt (yurt) with someone around him all the time.  

• Love 11

I had not realized that the premiere had happened. I thought it was interesting seeing things from Michael's side of the world. He really is a guy out of his element.

I  did enjoy seeing him frustrated dealing with the "demons" that he  was stuck with. I hope they don't constantly reboot this each week as I feel that it would turn into some sort of gotcha show with twists every week and that would suck IMHO.

It is nice that the 4 are showing real growth though. I am pretty sure i recognized the guy torturing Tehani about the cargo pants. Wasn't he one of the ones helping Eleanor clean up last season on garbage patrol?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Dots And Stripes said:

The references to odd forms of torture was a funny addition this time.

Two words... "penis flattening". Oh man... also loved the demon complaining about how he used to just twist people until they broke.

I'm finding I feel the same as when we started last season. Great potential but I'm not sure how it will work longterm.

Funny that "2.0" flared out in like a day. I think Michael's main problem is he was trying to recreate things that happened spontaneously the first time and force them to happen again this time.

Can't wait to see where we go from here.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 8

I'm just so happy this show is back! FORK YEAH!

I think part of Michael's problem is that he's trying too hard to recreate what specifically happened in 1.0 (Eleanor getting drunk and the shrimp situation) instead of just letting the four of them wander around and become miserable in different ways.

1 hour ago, Dots And Stripes said:

The irrational irritation at little things is possibly my favorite part of this show.

Death (or torture) by a thousand paper cuts!

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, sjankis630 said:

It is nice that the 4 are showing real growth though. I am pretty sure i recognized the guy torturing Tehani about the cargo pants. Wasn't he one of the ones helping Eleanor clean up last season on garbage patrol?

One of the guys on garbage patrol was Gunnar / Chuck the would-be biter. Glenn was the guy torturing Tahari about the cargo pants. He was actually at Michael's board meeting for the Good Place plus a few more episodes. One was where he reminded everyone of Michael's upcoming Eternal Shriek. 

3 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

I'm finding I feel the same as when we started last season. Great potential but I'm not sure how it will work longterm. Funny that "2.0" flared out in like a day. Can't wait to see where we go from here.

Their triggers were set off in the same day.  They'll need to dial it back.  It just so happens that everything in their lives that would torture them are present in so-called paradise on the day they arrived.  That's too coincidental.  Plus, it was never going to survive Eleanor knowing to contact Chidi anyway. 

• Love 3

I went to law school with the guy from season one of the Joe Schmo show. He got the call that he was cast not even a week into the first semester of our 1L year. I remember all of us telling him to ask for a 1 year deferment. And then the show aired and we felt like jerks. We didn't know it was going to turn into the Joe Schmo Show, but we all felt kinda bad for Matt.

That's crazy. I loved the first season of Joe Schmo and that was primarily for Matt who in my opinion, was a funnier and more engaging character than any of the improv comics around him. I can't even imagine how much that situation must have fucked with his head though.

Anyway, back to the episode. Really enjoyed it but also showed the way this particular version of the premise isn't sustainable long-term. I still haven't given up hope that Michael's actually running a con on the Bad Place demons (or whatever they'll called) and trying to show the possibility of redemption with E/C/T/J. I also think it'll be a nice twist if the demons are forced into a position of having to interact and emphasize with humans for the first time ever and that starts a full reform of the Bad Place's way of doing business. 

• Love 3

I had thought they might keep with the "be careful what you wish for" soulmate torture they seemed to be setting up with Eleanor.  Turns out the humans were better at torturing each other than the demons were at torturing them. The demon soulmate torturers had no subtlety, which led the humans to question the "good place" narrative too quickly.   The way that led them to find each other seemed a little too fortuitous (other than Eleanor with her "find Chidi" instruction), though maybe the disillusionment was leading them to seek out some confidants/humanity.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

This series really is an interesting modern retelling of No Exit, in a lot of ways. Michael really seems to be banking on the whole "Hell is other people" philosophy to torture the fab four.

The way you phrased that made me realize something for the first time. Michael isn't just the name of Ted Danson's character; it's the name of the show runner. Who also is working constantly to orchestrate the movements of all the characters. Michael (Ted Danson) views all the inhabitants of The Good Place (the place) as pieces to move around the chessboard; while Michael (Schur) views all the inhabitants of The Good Place (the show) as pieces to move around the chessboard. Coincidence? I think not.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 18
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

Jianyu make Tahini look good though.  If her soulmate was a Buddhist monk, it means she's deeper and more thoughtful and her existence has more meaning.  Of course she tried with the person who made her look better.

As to the demons, I think they have no idea how to interact up close with humans while pretending to be humans.  They are completely out of their depth.

I'm so glad this show is back!!

• Love 11
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't think Tahani is coming off worse.  I think Michael is playing to the groups most obvious failings for picking their "soulmate". Tahani is superficial by nature but she had some growth last season so she was able to at least partially adapt the her new wardrobe and less then perfect guy.  Jianyu and his silent monk routine allowed her to be with a hot guy who didn't talk.  That could be seen as an early ideal for her.

I am liking the demons.  They seem more like corporate drones and Michale seems like that executive who wants to shake things up but only makes things more difficult for the drones who just want to go into work and do their job.  "This job is weird.   It's all talk and no twisting." 

• Love 7

Was it ever explained why someone like Chidi deserved hell?  (This show is about hell, right?  I'm honestly confused).  Earth Chidi was terribly indecisive, that's all I can remember, but it doesn't seem like enough.  And Tehani, what, she was just envious of her sister?

• Love 6

I have to admit that I wasn't sure how I would feel about season two, since I did not expect the twist in season one. So excited to see last night's first two episodes, and I still love this show!   It is so clever and does a great job zagging just when you think it's going to zig. How it got left off the Emmy nominations I do not understand. 

I did not expect we would already be on version three and love that Michael is now lying to Sean about its success.  Having the demons be disgruntled because they don't feel their characters was also a nice touch.  I love these writers!

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Was it ever explained why someone like Chidi deserved hell?  (This show is about hell, right?  I'm honestly confused).  Earth Chidi was terribly indecisive, that's all I can remember, but it doesn't seem like enough.  And Tehani, what, she was just envious of her sister?

Chidi wasn't just undecive.  He made everyone's life miserable because of it.  It wasn't that he couldn't make big decisions but he couldn't make any decisions.  He was  frozen by in indecisiveness.  

Tehani sin was pride and envy and she is all kinds of superficial.  She did donate tons of money to a charity but only did it to be better then her sister and to snog  an actor (I forget which one).  She never did anything unless she was going to  get recognized for it.

these aren't horrible murders,  this is a light breezy dramedy.  We need to "like" all four of them especially  dirtbag Eleanor so she can't really be that big of a dirtbag.  

For this to work They all need to be exceptionally redeemable.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

Jianyu make Tahini look good though.  If her soulmate was a Buddhist monk, it means she's deeper and more thoughtful and her existence has more meaning.  Of course she tried with the person who made her look better.

I agree Tahini's behavior was the most radically different but that's because her first season persona was the most an artificial construction of who she thought she needed to be, but she finally started to grow and think for herself. She bought into Jinayu as her soulmate because it fed into that view of herself. So she allowed Jason his alone time because she was still self-centered.

Eleanor and Chiti are like Jason and Janet, the shows OTP. I don't think E/C will ever bone but they are glorious platonic love. It's why I am worried for Tahini because she seems the most lost in terms of the basic conceit but I am cool with her pulling a Kelly Taylor and choosing herself and realizing friends are important! She could also end up with Gym guy because even though his whole reason for being around is to pull off his shirt, the actor made me like him. Look he loved his life twisting people until they were torn apart; obviously he would balk when thrust into a job that doesn't work to his strengths but he is still hot and gives depth.

This shows return delighted me.

• Love 4

Now that the show has evolved into a backstage comedy, we can evaluate the demons by how well they play their parts to the foursome and maintain their characters. 

Best Actors

Anjali (Chidi's perfect woman) - really put the screws to Chidi well
Both Chidi's soulmate and the other guy in that double triangle (rhombus?) play their parts well
Tahani and Jianyu's soulmates - no breaks of character

Worst Actors

Eleanor's soulmate - needs more levels. Not good at improv.
Old Real Eleanor - She is right in that she can handle a bigger role, as she showed last season.
Biting guy

• Love 3

I really enjoyed this show last season so I'm thrilled that the premiere was so good.  I'm only slightly worried about the show losing its serialized aspect dueto the nature of all these resets.  

• Love 2

Hawaii 5-Dough serving everyone Hawaiian pizza was some kind of perfect, because there's nothing more befitting the Bad Place than pineapple on pizza. 

Loved Chidi's aside about his dilemma building an ice cream sundae. The actor completely nails Chidi's neuroticism but still makes him likeable. 

I fully ship Jason and Janet. There was something so sweet and special about her learning to hug. 

Interesting that even though everyone was reset, the connections they felt before still existed. Chidi was annoyed by Eleanor yet intrigued by her and the note, Jason still found solace in Janet, and Eleanor's instincts kicked in before anyone else's and again determined they were actually in the Bad Place. Tahani is the weak link IMO, as she seems too consumed with herself and her appearance. I'd like to see more of a genuine bond between her and the others.

Definitely thinking this season's twist is going to be about Michael. He thinks he's in control but his staff is working against him. It's as if Michael is running this test that's doomed to fail, not just because Eleanor and the others are outsmarting him, but because his boss has stacked the deck against him.

• Love 15

Tahini in crocs. She focused on the cargo pants, but it was crocs that cracked me up. I liked her more this time, maybe because we already know her. Michael was tougher on her this time, straight away. I thought it was too much - seeming like hell, too soon. 

I'm so glad this is back. I finally got back to it on Netflix, a few weeks ago, finished watching it after losing track of it on tv last year. I watch so many dark or four shows, that it was a relief - this show cheers me up. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 4

Fabulous opening!  I really love this show and am so glad it's back.  I can totally get on board with the idea of Michael being the one who is being punked.  I just love our fab 4 (and Janet!) and love that they are retaining some of the experiences from the time(s) before.  I don't think we will keep cycling through them figuring it out though, at least not for a while.  Maybe not the full season, but who knows.  Love that this isn't so cookie cutter.  

• Love 2

Really enjoyed this episode! If I were the head of NBC, I would call Mike Schur and tell him to keep going as long as he wanted to.

Loved the fast pace, loved Tahani's being mortified about the teeny house and teeny soulmate, loved that Jianyu's soulmate is really just as dopey as he is, I'm hoping they become friends despite Michael's intentions. Most of all, I enjoyed Danson getting to be more versatile. I loved the glimmers of the old Sam Malone desperation, Danson plays frustration so well, go nearly any episode of Cheers in its first season and him being frustrated with Diane is a thing of beauty, acting wise.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, morgan said:

I can totally get on board with the idea of Michael being the one who is being punked.  I just love our fab 4 (and Janet!) and love that they are retaining some of the experiences from the time(s) before. 

It'd be neat if the four grow so much over the repeated experience that they become *actually* eligible for the real Good Place and just as Michael thinks he's perfected his methods, they get taken up. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Linny said:

Interesting that even though everyone was reset, the connections they felt before still existed. Chidi was annoyed by Eleanor yet intrigued by her and the note, Jason still found solace in Janet, and Eleanor's instincts kicked in before anyone else's and again determined they were actually in the Bad Place. Tahani is the weak link IMO, as she seems too consumed with herself and her appearance. I'd like to see more of a genuine bond between her and the others.

3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I agree Tahini's behavior was the most radically different but that's because her first season persona was the most an artificial construction of who she thought she needed to be, but she finally started to grow and think for herself.

I agree that Tahani has grown. She’s still superficial, but l couldn’t imagine early season 1 Tahani publically apologizing to Eleanor after a drunken outburst or admitting that cargo pants are quite comfortable. Heck, I couldn’t see season 1 Tahani loosening up enough to get sloppy drunk. And she hasn’t yet done any name-dropping about her friends Beyonce, Taylor, or Kanye. “My good friend Kanye frequently wears cargo pants.”

2 hours ago, Linny said:

Loved Chidi's aside about his dilemma building an ice cream sundae. The actor completely nails Chidi's neuroticism but still makes him likeable

True. Chidi as a character has the potential to be really annoying, but William Jackson Harper gives him innocence and vulnerability that make him lovable.

Oh, and Chidi definitely has a type. His perfect almost-soul mate Angelique looks a lot like his girlfriend from last season’s flashbacks. (But it’s not the same actress). I’m guessing Michael engineered Angelique’s appearance for that very reason.

• Love 6
57 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Really enjoyed this episode! If I were the head of NBC, I would call Mike Schur and tell him to keep going as long as he wanted to.

No!  Classic mistake so many American tv shows fall into.  And one of my favorite throw away lines from season one when Tahani talks about her favorite long running British shows....she had seen all 30 episodes!  The Brits are so smart and know when to pull the plug.

• Love 18