Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Nowhere Man

On 9/11/2017 at 10:46 PM, AmandaPanda said:

Donna struggles with suspicion; Bosworth hits a breaking point; Joe confesses to Gordon while Cameron faces past mistakes.

Everything in this reveal about ep 5 makes sense except what is Joe going to tell Gordon?

I think it's simply that Joe becomes aware of what Cameron has done and then breaks it to Gordon... I don't think that really counts as "confessing" anything, but Joe certainly has not done anything worthy of a "confession" so far this season??

11 hours ago, cinles said:

Everything in this reveal about ep 5 makes sense except what is Joe going to tell Gordon?

Exactly what I was going to ask. CP may be right, it's only that Joe learns about what Cameron did and then tells Gordon.

12 hours ago, Catbookss said:

Exactly what I was going to ask. CP may be right, it's only that Joe learns about what Cameron did and then tells Gordon.

That makes sense since everything else seems to revolve around what Cameron did. Actually, I just saw a new video from this week & I think what Joe & Gordon talk about is Comet because Joe is really steamed over Rover's abilities now.

Edited by cinles
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ketose said:

So, is the show up to the Summer of 1995? Because that's when Nowhere Man premiered on UPN.

I just googled Nowhere Man & there was a TV show on for one season which sounds cool where a guy has his existence erased. Ketose, I think most of us and most everybody thinks of the Beatles' song. But as weird as the titles are, they may be pulling a fast one & the title may refer to an unknown TV show. But who gets erased?

• Love 1

Oh, sh*t. It's Tom.  ? The only reason we're seeing Tom is that he has a bromance with Chris Cantwell. We could have found out this stuff without seeing him.

Edited by cinles
  • Love 1

I can't believe I'm saying this but.... I am really diggin Donna so far in this episode. 

10 minutes ago, cinles said:

Oh, sh*t. It's Tom.  ? The only reason we're seeing Tom is that he has a bromance with Chris Cantwell. We could have found out this stuff without seeing him.

And.... he can stand up in the Airstream.

:D

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, CanadaPhil said:

I can't believe I'm saying this but.... I am really diggin Donna so far in this episode. 

Do you think she suspects it's Cameron? I really can't tell. But her clothes are awesome. I don't remember business clothes being that cool in the 90's.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, CanadaPhil said:

And.... he can stand up in the Airstream.

But at least we know he's not going to sweep Cameron off her feet. Yea!

Ugh.... Desperate Douche Bos makes me cringe. 

I'm going to call it... Bos will do a Peter Pan... like you know who.

RIP old Bos. 

Edit... Oh, Oh... no Peter Pan... but close enough.

Edited by CanadaPhil
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, CanadaPhil said:

I luv the way she is circling back and drilling down on getting to the bottom of the programming "mystery".

She's acting like I think she would have acted if she hadn't married Gordon. I see her mother right now.

OMG Cameron is soooo stupid.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, CanadaPhil said:

Interesting how Cameron prefaces her car confession to Joe with her Tom story about "wanting him to leave".... So, is her confession to Joe not really the same sort of thing?

Yes, I think that was the point.

Was what Gordon humming not "Nowhere Man"... I'm not sure? Gordon mentions having watched that show "four times in the theater" as well.... So I don't think they are watching the TV Show "Nowhere Man"?

Edited by CanadaPhil
6 minutes ago, cinles said:

OK, was that Nowhere Man the song or Nowhere Man the TV show? Could Gordon & Katie have been watching the TV show? Bueller Bueller

I wasn't an avid watcher, but Nowhere Man was a TV show about a photographer who got a picture of 4 men hanged in Southeast Asia. When he came home, his family was gone and his identity was wiped from the records. So he went around trying to figure out who did it and why his picture was so important. I'm not sure if it applies to the episode, but the timing is close. 

7 minutes ago, CanadaPhil said:

Was what Gordon humming not "Nowhere Man"... I'm not sure? Gordon mention's having watched that show "four times in the theater" as well.... So I don't think they are watching the TV Show "Nowhere Man"?

You mean when he was trying to get Katie to figure out what he humming? I thought maybe - I'll pay closer attention. That didn't sound like Nowhere Man.

Edited by cinles
1 hour ago, ketose said:

I wasn't an avid watcher, but Nowhere Man was a TV show about a photographer who got a picture of 4 men hanged in Southeast Asia. When he came home, his family was gone and his identity was wiped from the records. So he went around trying to figure out who did it and why his picture was so important. I'm not sure if it applies to the episode, but the timing is close. 

Yeah, I read IMDb about the show, but I think they're still in 1994. Someone on Twitter said the song Gordon was humming was the one Donna sang over the phone either when she was with Hunt or Gordon was in CA. So we know where this is going if true.

1 hour ago, CanadaPhil said:

and...

What is Katie wearing Mom Jeans?

;P

Do they have the right fashion? Donna was wearing a very cool long jacket. I was in the business world in the mid 90's & my jackets were short & I don't think we wore mom jeans??

Edited by cinles
1 minute ago, CanadaPhil said:

and...

Why is Katie wearing Mom Jeans?

;P

I don't know, but the actress playing Katie said they were going for a Janeanne Garafolo look. From what I've seen from old Ben Stiller Show episodes, they're pretty close.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, ketose said:

I don't know, but the actress playing Katie said they were going for a Janeanne Garafolo look. From what I've seen from old Ben Stiller Show episodes, they're pretty close.

I read that too, about Janeane Garafolo - I know they are very meticulous about the clothes, but sometimes I don't get it. Those aren't mom jeans. They don't hit her pelvic bones, but they also don't go up to her boobs. They're called mid rise.

Edited by cinles
  • Love 1

I liked seeing Tom again, and I like that he got a HEA. For what Cam put him through, he deserves it. 

Oh, look, Donna figured out it was Cam who fixed the problem. I enjoyed her making the team squirm. I also loved her red blazer. I'd wear that now.

What was Gordon's confession to Joe? Joe already knows Gordon is with Katie.

24 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I liked seeing Tom again, and I like that he got a HEA. For what Cam put him through, he deserves it. 

Oh, look, Donna figured out it was Cam who fixed the problem. I enjoyed her making the team squirm. I also loved her red blazer. I'd wear that now.

What was Gordon's confession to Joe? Joe already knows Gordon is with Katie.

I feel the opposite - I never liked Tom even before he & Cameron got together. He doesn't even serve a purpose this season. It would be like having Joe's ex-wife show up last season.

That red blazer was too cool for the 90's. I would so wear most of Donna's clothes today.

It said Joe confesses to Gordon - I still don't know when that happened either. Maybe at the end when he was talking about what the business meant to him?

Edited by cinles
  • Love 2

The "confession" was really nothing more than Joe confiding to Gordon that he feels like he has lost his gift for "predicting the future" so to speak. 

It actually felt like everyone OTHER than Joe was actually confessing something tonight. 

PS: I wonder how Cam will feel when it turns out that the ONLY person able to solve her game was Donna.

PPS: Anytime I happen to play a game in future I am going to look for butterflies and see if I can climb them.

Edited by CanadaPhil
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, CanadaPhil said:

The "confession" was really nothing more than Joe confiding to Gordon that he feels like he has lost his gift for "predicting the future" so to speak. 

It actually felt like everyone OTHER than Joe was actually confessing something tonight. 

You know what it feels like to me - they've got the peanut butter in the jelly. Bos is heading a tech team. Joe is heading a coding team. It looks like Cameron & Gordon are doing nothing. Donna is acting like a royal hiney-ness. Gordon, Donna & Cameron should be figuring out where they're going. Joe is the cheerleader - 'it's not the thing. It's the thing that gets you to the thing'. They're all wearing the wrong hats.

Edited by cinles
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, cinles said:

.....Joe is the cheerleader - 'it's not the thing. It's the thing that gets you to the thing'. They're all wearing the wrong hats.

Ding! 

That was such a great line in S1. Thank's for the reminder. And Donna and Cameron are more sympatico then they think! They are both Butterfly Climbers! :D

• Love 3

I thought the song sounded like "Baby Mine" from Dumbo (odd, yes)....figured someone here would have pinpointed it better than that, but no takers yet?

I think the jeans were pretty typical of what we wore in the early/mid '90s. No low rise, tapered to the ankle. I hated jeans back then. Lots more options in the past 15-20 years.

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Moxie Cat said:

I thought the song sounded like "Baby Mine" from Dumbo (odd, yes)....figured someone here would have pinpointed it better than that, but no takers yet?

I think the jeans were pretty typical of what we wore in the early/mid '90s. No low rise, tapered to the ankle. I hated jeans back then. Lots more options in the past 15-20 years.

Since they didn't figure out what the song was in the episode, it must have a deep meaning.

• Love 2

I guess "Katie" likes Gordon as her boss more than Selina Meyer.

Donna is worried someone may try to sabotage her?  Is she that paranoid or she can't stand the idea of Cameron saving the day?

Wasn't she ready to bail on Rover but now it's a big deal to her?

It's still an unbelievable dynamic.  Diane was Donna's mentor and presumably still has some kind of authority over her?  But her boyfriend works for her former protege and she believe he was just bored?  Meanwhile, Boz thinks Diane will dump him as soon as she finds out about his money troubles, so he's become a sniveling beggar?  California softened this rugged Texan?  Such a cliche.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

Yea, I just listened to it and that's what it sounds like to me too.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, CanadaPhil said:

PS: I wonder how Cam will feel when it turns out that the ONLY person able to solve her game was Donna.

PPS: Anytime I happen to play a game in future I am going to look for butterflies and see if I can climb them.

I was starting to think Pilgrim was like Thermonuclear War - the only way to win is not to play.

5 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

Katie might have been wearing those jeans because they were easier to change out of than her leggings on Roller Derby night.

Hi, I'm a lurker who has loved this show from episode one. Just wanted to throw this out there... "Baby Mine" was the song that the old Donna sang over the phone to Haley to comfort her when Gordon took the girls to visit his brother ... only Donna sang "Haley Mine".  This doesn't seem to bode well for Haley, hope she isn't the new Ryan..

• Love 1

Katie's jeans were very early-mid 90s. That's just how they looked back then, watch some early years of BH90210 and you'll see Brenda and Kelly walking about in very similar jeans. High waisted and kind of boxy or too baggy between waist and thighs. Worn with a big belt, stand out buckle and a horrible tight, boob squashing - crotch irritating body top. Even in the first series of Friends Rachel and Monica sometimes fall foul of them. It was another few years before waistlines dropped down to the hips.

What was the big significance of Gordon burning his journals? We only learned about them 2 minutes before and he's seemed perfectly chilled and happy all season. How was it supposed to be any big moment for him? And to have it intercut with the heavily telegraphed scenes of Donna figuring out Cam's game was weird because 'Cam and Donna's two halves of a whole thing' is the ongoing theme of the season while Gordon burning his journals came from left of field. It did give us a clue to the year though, as the journal Gordon was currently writing was dated (I think) Nov '95 - Mar '97.
2iu8zn.png
(I initially thought it was Nov '93 - Mar '94 but I've watched it a few times and messed about with screen shots and I I think it's definitely 95-97, though that would make Hayley 16-18 and she definitely doesn't seem that old.)

8 hours ago, scrb said:

Donna is worried someone may try to sabotage her?  Is she that paranoid or she can't stand the idea of Cameron saving the day?

I don't think it's wrong for Donna to wonder if someone is trying to sabotage her. It doesn't matter if it's Cameron (though she adds an extra layer) or someone else. There is a lot of time and money invested in Rover.

• Love 1

I thought Donna playing Pilgrim was really, really beautiful--that was an incredibly moving scene for me.  I'm quite invested in the Donna/Cameron dynamic, in all of its fucked-up glory.  Much as I want them to, I just don't see this relationship healing in the five episodes that are left in the series. They've both done awful things to each other.  But I appreciate the Bechdel test pass: they didn't break up over a man, they broke up over their passion for their work, passion which went in different directions and forced them to choose.  They chose work over friendship--it's in character for both of them, sad as it makes me personally. But nonetheless, Donna loves Cameron, which is exactly why she hates her so much.  Moreover, Donna *gets* Cameron, and that's why she is the only one who could crack the Pilgrim puzzle.  At its core, I think Pilgrim depicts the journey of women navigating the very male world of tech in the 1990s.  It's both of their stories.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Fiddlefaddle said:

Hi, I'm a lurker who has loved this show from episode one. Just wanted to throw this out there... "Baby Mine" was the song that the old Donna sang over the phone to Haley to comfort her when Gordon took the girls to visit his brother ... only Donna sang "Haley Mine".  This doesn't seem to bode well for Haley, hope she isn't the new Ryan..

I had posted that already, but how do you jump from Gordon humming that song to Haley, what, committing suicide?? When I read someone said they thought it was the song Donna sang, my first thought was that was a first sign Gordon & Donna were going to eventually get back together.  I don't know the lyrics to the song - do they talk about a teen girl committing suicide, because I can't believe Donna would sing a song like that to her child!!

13 hours ago, CanadaPhil said:

Gordon mentions having watched that show "four times in the theater" as well.... So I don't think they are watching the TV Show "Nowhere Man"?

They're watching the Robert Redford/River Phoenix/Mary McDonnell movie Sneakers. Techies with moxie pulling capers.

I can't tell if Toby Huss has lost actual weight or if they're just costuming him in bagger clothes. Effective, either way. It has a subliminal effect of making me worry for him.

Watching Lee Pace's eyes harden in the scene in the car was kind of chilling. I think we might be in store for the return of Bad Joe.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, crashdown said:

I thought Donna playing Pilgrim was really, really beautiful--that was an incredibly moving scene for me.  

I'm so glad someone else said that! 

:)

I was blown away by Kerry Bische's performanvce in that scene!!

She did not say a word and yet her sense of discovery and wonder was perfectly conveyed by her facial expressions and her eyes.

We, as the audience looking in are experiencing her range of emotions and it's just amazing.

Kudo's to Kerry! I have certainly not been a Donna fan of late, but those moments were just off the charts!

If any of you somehow missed that moment, you need to revisit the ending, put the damn phone down and just rewatch! ;)

Edited by CanadaPhil
  • Love 10