Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E15: The Finale

• Start Topic

I'm suspicious of the fact that Koine was given a post-star-pick chat on stage with Cat when no one else was. I fear it means she's 2nd; she won't get a moment of her own later because focus will be on the winner.

Edited by dcalley

Ha, I was right. The show gave away that Koine was 2nd. That's ok; I'm happy with that top 2. Were Kaylee and Logan in anything smaller than the top 9 dance? I feel like I never saw them on stage!

Edited by dcalley

I am thrilled Koine got to 2nd place, she did hit bottom probably twice if you include her being the final finalist, so my thought was she was going to leave 4th.  She looked gorgeous in her blue dress, and how cute did she look next to Lex, the blue in his shirt collar matched her dress. I am so happy for her, and she seemed genuinely grateful for any placement.   However, for my money they left in the right order.  I am genuinely thrilled for Lex he is a force of nature, he proved it, working through injury to get to the top.  So cute that two Japanese Americans won the prize. 

My favorite Koine dances were her encores,  Koine and Kiki's Salsa,  Koine and Lex's Broadway and Koine and Marco's Door Dance.   I also loved the reprise of the Vogue piece and the Disco group routines.   Lex also got three encores,  his Broadway with Taylor,  Broadway with Koine and Hip Hop with Gaby.  He also got the star turn with the Shaping Sound piece,  but the other 3 got the I Rise piece.  

Both Kiki and Taylor only had two encores;   Kiki got two ballroom dances, one with Koine and one with Jenna,  and Taylor got the Broadway with Lex and another Contemporary with Robert.

I missed not seeing an encore for Logan and Allison, the hip hop should have been reprised!  (On tour he could do that with Jasmine.)

I would not have picked Luther's group dance or the Chris Scott hairspray hip hop- but I suppose those are producer decisions, and of course Jasmine is touring, so whatever.

Just another note, dance wise Koine is usually impeccable, but I think she may have been dancing hurt tonight.  Although the door dance had a lot more flow, she was assisted in her leap off the door by Marco, he was very careful with her,  and she flubbed the I Rise piece, the leap wasn't as effective as it was the first time, and she lost her footing  at the end.  I wonder if it was the Mia Michaels dance that was recorded earlier where she was just launched that she sustained an injury.  If she's not injured she's definitely tired.  But she has been the one who was pretty dramatically athletic in the pieces tonight. 

34 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Were Kaylee and Logan in anything smaller than the top 9 dance? I feel like I never saw them on stage!

I didn't see them at all,  I thought they would have least repeated the Shadow. 

Edited by Andie1
Lex - Congrats!
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

Everything about that opening number felt forced and false.  When Mandy does a clunker, it clunks.

It was really a finale with a lot of Mandy Moore.  Her Disco with Val was a lot better than this opening, and then they also reprised one of her  contemporaries for Taylor and Robert.  I think she probably was the most encored tonight.

Loved the disco number again.  Cyrus, Comfort and Fikshun together were everything - took me right back to watching late night disco on tv in the 70s (a little punchier in movement than was the style, but easily overlooked in favour of enjoying the chewier bits).

• Love 6

I figured Lex had it in the bag but was pleasantly surprised Koine made it to 2nd. I just had the same thought process as above where I assumed because Koine had been in the bottom more than the others that she probably would be out first.

I wondered if DWTS starting last week actually hurt Kiki's votes. I think he deserved 4th in terms of those that remained, but I've noticed that a lot of his online fanbase unshockingly were also DWTS fans.  Either because they are just into ballroom or because of his connections.  So with the DWTS premiere on the same night as the finals last week and them focused on DWTS voting, they probably didn't vote as hard for Kiki.

I would have been more than fine with Koine winning, but otherwise I think the rankings were correct...again, of those that remained. If it were up to me I would have swapped out Kiki and Taylor entirely.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, dcalley said:

Ha, I was right. The show gave away that Koine was 2nd. That's ok; I'm happy with that top 2. Were Kaylee and Logan in anything smaller than the top 9 dance? I feel like I never saw them on stage!

I thought there was something up when Koine gave such poised responses about what it would mean to her to win, and then again when she sat with Mia, she seemed to be the most hungry to do the show and to be grateful for the experience. Then the fun with her name.. things tonight that were never in the narrative to get her to top 2.  Cool thing is she did it without getting pimped and primed by Nigel and the panel.

• Love 5

Happy with the results!! I thought Koine was going to be 3rd or 4th.  Happy she came in 2nd.  At first, the show seemed like a farewell but then Cat said see you next summer.   I know it's wishful thinking since the show doesn't know until the last minute. 

I thought Logan and Allison were going to do their hip hop.  Logan and Kaylee should have done at least the shadow dance.   

• Love 6

I figured Lex was going to win but just before Cat read the results I had two seconds of hope that Koine would pull out the upset.

But if she couldn't win the final order was perfect.

"L-O-V-E" is my third favorite routine ever behind "The Garden" and "Rama-Lama" when Wade was in it in a finale.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, realdancemom said:

At first, the show seemed like a farewell but then Cat said see you next summer.   I know it's wishful thinking since the show doesn't know until the last minute. 

We certainly know that FOX was already in talks with Nigel for next season, and so the Cat sign-off is a good sign. I'm suspecting that the show is delivering sufficient social media buzz in a desirable (i.e. young) demographic in addition to the Emmys, and those things may be enough despite the ratings.  The Emmys alone have been enough in prior seasons. The return of the tour is also a good sign. 

Plus,  the lighting department had an outstanding season

I do wish they'd test a Nigelless panel for once - I actually do appreciate what he does for the show, and he has toned down the Uncle Pervy quite a bit this season. But if the show is going to be a true television perennial it will have to do so at some point without him anchoring the panel. I'm not sure it's a sacrifice he's ready for, but they should try at least an episode or two of the live show or two without him next summer.

I do hope we see more Mia in future seasons. Mandy is great, and I like Travis. But Mia comes with a philosophy, and I like that philosophy. I think she gets dancers to a more direct and authentic communication of emotion. The more dancers that get exposed to that through the show the better as far as I'm concerned. And I think she educates the audience as well. She's not perfect, and she can easily strike people as pretentious, but she along with Wade still set the bar for this show.

I was certainly happy with Americer's choices tonight. I was hoping for Koine like many of you, but Lex is certainly a worthy winner.

Edited by Mertseger
Inserted missing words for clarity
  • Love 6

If Lex and Taylor are in a relationship why didn't we see them even acknowledge each other after he won?  I only saw her off to the side of everyone at the end.  

Koine seemed like she knew she wasn't going to win and genuinely happy for Lex.

• Love 2

Tonight's performances:

Group dances:

Spoiler

Top 10 & All Stars (Mandy Moore)

Top 10 & All Stars (Mia Michaels)

Koine, Kiki, Taylor, & Mark's encore

New duets:

Spoiler

Lex & Travis - contemporary (Travis Wall)

Robert & Vanessa - contemporary (Mandy Moore)

Encore duets:

Spoiler

Koine & Kiki - salsa

Taylor & Lex - jazz

Dassy & Fik-Shun - hip hop

Koine & Lex - Broadway

Robert & Jasmine - hip hop

Koine & Marko - contemporary

Kiki & Jenna - cha cha

Lex & Gaby - hip hop

Taylor & Robert - contemporary

• Love 1

Even though I would happily have traded Logan and Kaylee in place of Taylor and Kiki, this was exactly the order I chose for these 4 finalists.  So I'm a happy camper.  It was fun seeing the group disco again, one of my favorite group routines across all seasons.  I also enjoyed seeing Lex and Koine's pizza routine again.  Although I've watched Travis and Lex's Shaping Sound routine more than a few times, it was special to see it live.  It gave me chills.   That Vanessa performance was bad...really bad.  Please, show, if you come back next year, lose Vanessa stat. 

Edited by SnarkyTart
  • Love 3

I hated the lighting and camera work during Mia's piece because I could barely see what anyone was doing.

That Lex/Travis piece was intense.  Not like Lex needed it, since he won anyways, but that piece showed more personality than anything he did with Gaby.  Maybe he just didn't like Gaby, heh.

Lex and Koine had more chemistry in their pairing than Lex and Taylor, but if I am to believe Friends, that is a good thing.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

Was it just me, or did Nigel feel not so happy with the final results? He just had a weird expression on his face during the announcements

Mandy Moore shook her head no when Taylor placed third.

I really appreciated the show gave Robert and Dassy a turn in front of the finale audience.  I realize it was partially because those numbers will be featured on tour, but for the friends and families of those dancers it had to be wonderful for them to be seen on TV once again.

Pretty happy with the results.  My preference was Koine, but I cannot deny Lex's talent -- and like many others I expected him to win at the start of the season.  The 3 finalists who didn't take the title were definitely very gracious in defeat.

Now it's time for good thoughts the show returns next season and tweaks the few nagging issues that didn't allow this season to soar as much as it could have -- Top 20, All Stars only in final phase, NO Doriana Disco of Death, variety of choreographers -- new and returning (with a strong dose of Jean Marc for sheer joy and laughter with solid choreo).

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Andie1 said:

It was really a finale with a lot of Mandy Moore.  Her Disco with Val was a lot better than this opening, and then they also reprised one of her  contemporaries for Taylor and Robert.  I think she probably was the most encored tonight.

Well they gave her the pumped up title this season -- and spent a lot of time and money on that Academy opener to drive home the point that she was the LaLa Land choreographer.  Not surprising they re-used it to get more bang for their money.  If you look at the fact they re-aired most of the big production numbers for finale you definitely realize the budget constraints and the ways the show is trying to do whatever it can to stay on the air.  I'm afraid that whatever concessions the network demanded to make season 14 happen will be increased yet again if we are to see season 15, just the nature of corporate America today.

My dream next season would actually be Nigel, Mary and Adam on the panel.  Yes, Nigel can drive me bonkers at times, but I also realize that the show has been his passion project and I am immensely grateful to him for bringing so much beautiful artistry to network television all these years so I do think his should be a voice heard as it has been. 

• Love 3

I thought it was interesting that looking back at the Academy Routine, Mandy featured all four finalists individually  in their sections.  Lex was front and centre with guys who leap,  Koine and Taylor were the focus of the contemporary girls and Kiki and partner got to break out a bit from the ballroom dancers.

According to Kristyn Burtt, The Academy,  the Kanemura Vogue,  and Mandy and Val Disco, Luther's hip hop, were re-broadcasts of the original, and Travis' Shaping Sound, and Mia's Group routines were taped performances, and I wasn't mad at it, it gave the kids a chance to take a breath.

The live performances were the top ten individual duets and Mandy's opening.

1 hour ago, Tikichick said:

Mandy Moore shook her head no when Taylor placed third.

I saw that and I wasn't shocked by it, she lurved Taylor's line for contemporary and she just finished a Mandy piece.

1 hour ago, Tikichick said:

I really appreciated the show gave Robert and Dassy a turn in front of the finale audience.  I realize it was partially because those numbers will be featured on tour, but for the friends and families of those dancers it had to be wonderful for them to be seen on TV once again.

I agree,  Mark got another chance with the I Rise piece, but  saddened that Logan especially and Kaylee didn't get a repeat, at least Sydney got a chance to be a quick highlight with Kiki on the group opening piece.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

Was it just me, or did Nigel feel not so happy with the final results? He just had a weird expression on his face during the announcements

He was pushing for a Lex Taylor team so he could push the romance when promoting the tour.   I read on another board when they did the pizza dance dress rehearsal a missed opportunity to play up the romance could have been a pissed Taylor at the door.. heh. 

7 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Yay Lex!

I'm happy they encored L-O-V-E, Dassy/Fikshun, and the hairspray routine! Yes, that's right, the hairspray routine. 

As far as the hairspray routine goes,  I would say the encore was much better than the inital performance. 

5 minutes ago, Andie1 said:

I thought it was interesting that looking back at the Academy Routine, Mandy featured all four finalists individually  in their sections.  Lex was front and centre with guys who leap,  Koine and Taylor were the focus of the contemporary girls and Kiki and partner got to break out a bit from the ballroom dancers.

According to Kristyn Burtt, The Academy,  the Kanemura Vogue,  and Mandy and Val Disco, Luther's hip hop, were re-broadcasts of the original, and Travis' Shaping Sound, and Mia's Group routines were taped performances, and I wasn't mad at it, it gave the kids a chance to take a breath.

The live performances were the top ten individual duets and Mandy's opening.

I saw that and I wasn't shocked by it, she lurved Taylor's line for contemporary and she just finished a Mandy piece.

In the original broadcast of the piece I noticed they featured Lex and knew the show had him pegged as a(the?) frontrunner, along with a good deal of the audience.  Last night I noticed the others you mentioned, along with Logan, who I also suspect had to be considered a serious contender at that point as well.     

• Love 3
2 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

My word for that was sinister, not "interesting".

I don't know about that when I realize that many of these dancers are not unknown quantities to those behind the scenes as they are with much of the audience. 

• Love 2

Nigel s/b proud.  His 3 main picks made it.  He shouldn't be upset that Taylor didn't make 2nd.  He shouldn't get everything that he scripted.  At least give us the excitement of trying to select the other placements.  Otherwise, there would be no need to watch the show period.  Just watch the clips for enjoyment. 

I had picked Lex for the winner and Kiki to remain in the game even before seeing them perform.  The connections were too great to ignore.  Not saying they aren't talented; just obvious chosen ones.  You knew the show would slant, rationalize, OTT etc to ensure they would remain in the game.  The audience did kinda think for themselves because they picked Koine over Taylor and Kiki. 

Personally, based on her performances during the competition, in and out of her comfort zone, I'd say Koine should've been the winner.  But she did good to knock out Taylor and Kiki.  Lex was pimped but he had a great fanbase as well because they stayed with him through the ballroom routines.    The rationalization from some is so what if he's not good in ballroom, partnering or lifts, he is the best dancer.

• Love 2

I wonder if Marko and Koine will find ways to continue their partnership. They each elevate the other, plus there seems to be genuine affection between them. I would wonder the same with Lex, except I think he'd rather dance with Taylor if he's going to pair up, plus he has Shaping Sound. I am very impressed with her, as a person and as a dancer. 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Mason said:

I wonder if Marko and Koine will find ways to continue their partnership. They each elevate the other, plus there seems to be genuine affection between them. I would wonder the same with Lex, except I think he'd rather dance with Taylor if he's going to pair up, plus he has Shaping Sound. I am very impressed with her, as a person and as a dancer. 

It's funny, Koine has chemistry with everyone they paired her with, but the chemistry between her and Marko genuinely did make me understand the idea behind Nigel saying "let us know when you name the day" back in week one of competition.  Mind you, I would not have said it -- particularly in front of a television audience, but I can absolutely see where he was coming from on that front.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

I didn't see Mandy Moore's expression like others that posted.  When Taylor's name was announced as third, Nigel had a shocked face.  I was thrilled since I would have been happy with a Lex or Koine win.  I think Nigel and TPTB thought that Lex and Taylor were going to be the final two.  I was even afraid that Taylor might pull an upset and actually win.  She along with Lex did the Mia love routine.  She also had the Travis contemporary routine last week.  Those are the type of routines that get lots of votes especially with the teen girls.  At least, that's what I assumed and I'm glad that I was wrong.  I noticed all her reprisals were either contemporary or the bird jazz piece.  The type of routines that I said she was good at but it didn't show the versatility of somebody like Koine.  I'm glad the show's manipulations didn't work.

As I previously posted, in terms of SYTYCD, I thought Koine should be the winner because she's versatile, has great chemistry with all her partners, has great technique, and performs each routine perfectly.  However, I can't deny Lex's talent.  He's always great in his solos and group routines.  His performance ability has improved.  Loved the routine with Travis.  I saw a clip on youtube but it was so much better on the show.

I did like the popping routine and the Hairspray routine.  The only reason why I said that I think Logan and Kaylee should have at least done the Shadow routine is because they came in 5th and 6th.  It seems the show should have showed one of their dances because of their placings.  When Christopher Scott was announced as one of the choreographers, I did think that Logan and Allison were going to do their hip-hop routine.  I liked their Dee contemporary and I liked Kaylee/Cyrus' Tyce contemporary but since neither choreographer was mentioned, I figured they weren't doing those routines.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Tikichick said:

My dream next season would actually be Nigel, Mary and Adam on the panel.  Yes, Nigel can drive me bonkers at times, but I also realize that the show has been his passion project and I am immensely grateful to him for bringing so much beautiful artistry to network television all these years so I do think his should be a voice heard as it has been. 

It was great seeing Adam Shankman again. I agree he would be a welcome addition to the judging panel. Nigel, Mary and Adam is my dream judge's panel too. Many have voiced that they prefer Nigel no longer judge. Not me, I enjoy Nigel and appreciate his passion for dance and bringing this wonderful show to our TV screens.

• Love 8

We certainly know that FOX was already in talks with Nigel for next season, and so the Cat sign-off is a good sign. I'm suspecting that the show is delivering sufficient social media buzz in a desirable (i.e. young) demographic in addition to the Emmys, and those things may be enough despite the ratings.  The Emmys alone have been enough in prior seasons. The return of the tour is also a good sign. 

I certainly hope so. Dance is an art that gets short shrift in the popular culture. This show has taught me so much about forms, styles, and the various choreographers who are working these days. And the production value is so high....I am often marvelling at the lighting and the camerawork as much as the dancing.

But please, please, please ... give the third judge seat to a choreographer or former contestant....or rotate a weekly guest from those two groups. And no celebrities! Vanessa was by far the worst thing about this season, and Jason Derulo was not much better a few years ago. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Tonight's performances:

Group dances:

Reveal hidden contents

Top 10 & All Stars (Mandy Moore)

Top 10 & All Stars (Mia Michaels)

Koine, Kiki, Taylor, & Mark's encore

Huh. I walked out of the room after a minute of Vanessa singing and therefore missed about 40 seconds of her and Robert dancing.

Nigel with his hands over his face and you all talking about him looking disappointed makes me wonder if he truly found out when Cat opened the envelope. We know he doesn't do that for the eliminations because he telegraphs who is leaving with his remarks. I just don't buy him waiting to find out along with everyone else.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Huh. I walked out of the room after a minute of Vanessa singing and therefore missed about 40 seconds of her and Robert dancing.

Nigel with his hands over his face and you all talking about him looking disappointed makes me wonder if he truly found out when Cat opened the envelope. We know he doesn't do that for the eliminations because he telegraphs who is leaving with his remarks. I just don't buy him waiting to find out along with everyone else.

Maybe, Nigel knew that Lex was going to win but not the other placings.

15 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

Except I just remembered my theory that the Koine time on stage with Cat and clips of her name were deliberately done because she placed 2nd and wouldn't get a later montage/time with Cat. It's possible Nigel wasn't involved in that decision and possible he didn't figure it out in real time, but I doubt it.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

Except I just remembered my theory that the Koine time on stage with Cat and clips of her name were deliberately done because she placed 2nd and wouldn't get a later montage/time with Cat. It's possible Nigel wasn't involved in that decision and possible he didn't figure it out in real time, but I doubt it.

2 hours ago, crossover said:

....   The rationalization from some is so what if he's not good in ballroom, partnering or lifts, he is the best dancer.

I'm among those who firmly believe this to be true. I don't know of any contemporary dancer who can perform Hip Hop as well as Lex and that includes Alex Wong. I also think being trained in ballet and tap and performing both of those genres quite well, adds to a dancer's versatility. OK....I know ballet and tap are not part of this competition but still, to have that back round has to have some weight to the skill set of a dancer. Someone said Lex is known as the dancer with air under his feet (or something like that) and that is so very true. Not many dancers who have appeared on this show have that ability to make everything look so effortless and defy gravity while they are doing it.

• Love 4

I didn't see Mandy's reactions to the outcome, but I am generally very over Mandy in general.  I admit she does some good work and I think the critical success of La La Land is partially why she is so everywhere at the moment, but between her elevated roles on both SYTYCD and DWTS I really need a Mandy break.  I'd appreciate her more if she wasn't choreographing next to every routine on every show (yes, an exaggeration).  She also has a habit of being obsessed with dancers that I don't personally care for, so she tends to feature those folks over far more interesting dancers (IMO). I get why Mandy would love a Taylor in terms of her lines, but give me a Koine any day.  She has her pets and those are the ones that get her time and featured spots.

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Speaking of montages.....Why weren't Lex and Koine given a montage each before the final results were announced? Haven't they done that in previous seasons? The top 2 deserve a montage just as much as the 3rd and 4th place. All other contestants also received a montage when they were eliminated.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

Speaking of montages.....Why weren't Lex and Koine given a montage each before the final results were announced? Haven't they done that in previous seasons? The top 2 deserve a montage just as much as the 3rd and 4th place. All other contestants also received a montage when they were eliminated.

Because it was more important that Vanessa get a dance showcase.

Hopefully as a parting gift.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

I'm among those who firmly believe this to be true. I don't know of any contemporary dancer who can perform Hip Hop as well as Lex and that includes Alex Wong. I also think being trained in ballet and tap and performing both of those genres quite well, adds to a dancer's versatility. OK....I know ballet and tap are not part of this competition but still, to have that back round has to have some weight to the skill set of a dancer. Someone said Lex is known as the dancer with air under his feet (or something like that) and that is so very true. Not many dancers who have appeared on this show have that ability to make everything look so effortless and defy gravity while they are doing it.

That's fine.  Lex is a versatile dancer since he's ballet trained, tap trained, hip hop trained and maybe more.  But the only style that should count in the sytycd versatility portion is hip hop.  And some other requirements are ballroom and partner work.

For me, the winner should be the one who performed/executed best during the competition period, in and out of the comfort zone.  People shouldn't have to remember that last year, the dancer won the best so and so, or, during the auditions, he/she had the best solos etc.  In football, the Patriots went 18-0 one year but lost the super bowl.  That year's team is still considered to be the best that year.  But they didn't prove it during the competition period (super bowl). People still respect them.  They just didn't get the hardware.

If performing best during the competition period is not a requirement, TPTB should just do like WoD and decide who they want to win.  In that way, they can stop the audience manipulation.  If there are requirements, they should judge accordingly.  Some people prefer ballroom training.  Others prefer contemporary, jazz or hip hop.  None should rank higher than the other when it comes to sytycd competition.  But people still weigh ballet/contemporary training higher, even the judges.  I could see that for some jobs like bwy but not the sytycd competition.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, dcalley said:

Yeah, don't really know all the manipulations.  I just know that to me, Nigel looked shocked when Taylor was announced third.  Maybe, they were going to do the Koine name thing regardless where she placed.  They really butchered her name a lot.  Nigel did it again after he already apologized to her for saying her name wrong all season. 

I agree with luvthepros that both Lex and Koine should have had a montage.  In previous seasons, so they didn't give away the winner, they montaged both 1st and 2nd place contestants into one clip.  They showed this clip before Cat announced the winner.  Sometimes, they ran late and so the winner didn't really have that long of a celebration.  So I'll agree with PhoneCop that I could have done without Vanessa's song and dance.  So eliminate that, give Lex and Koine a montage and let Logan and Kaylee do their shadow dance.

• Love 1