Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E05: Descending Into Good And Evil

Drogo
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Bebecat said:

Margarita was going on a bit about having a larger model, especially her bust size. Wish these folks would get over it, the models are different sizes, deal and shut up.

I've been sewing for over 50 years, and I know exactly what she meant.  Designing for and sewing for a larger model is a challenge.  

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, terrymct said:

There was a worse one.  Remember when Emilio tried to make a dress out of rope and washers?   

emilio_xl.jpg

That thing is ugly and I think an example of being disrespectful to a model but I think this was mostly his intent with execution issues. If I remember right, Emilio didn't have the time or the materials to give as much coverage as he wanted but he always wanted a sexy bathing suit look. You'll never convince me Aaron's was intentional. He had no idea what to do after Tim shot down his convertible skirt thing and just flailed until time was up. There was no vision or design along with it being an incomplete mess. And I don't see this model having to hold her top on with her arm.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, millennium said:

Kenya's design owned that runway.

I don't think much of Brandon and his "I've never designed women's clothes" aesthetic.   Tonight his colors were drab, his design nondescript.   I haven't liked anything he's made so far, and his personal look is second only to Aaron's in absurdity, like bad '80s MTV.   To see him win over Kenya tonight was painful, not only because her design was far superior but because her smile had been so bright and hopeful.

Claire is not fair of face, and apparently far less attractive on the inside.

The question I asked aloud this week is "Why is Liris thanking the judges?"   

All of this. And Kenya's  model totally rocked the  hell out of that outfit from head to toe. If I were that tall and thin I would so want to have some local seamstress knock that off for me.

There is no explanation for Brandon getting the win and Kenya was extremely gracious in her non-reaction because she and the guy with the feathers, which also turned out beautifully, must have been hopping mad inside.  Brandon is sweet but he needs to go.

Glad to see Aaron go. He was very unappealing to me and when he wore the see-through pantaloons, I was like, eww. Loved Zac when he was just like, "No."

I also wondered about the model saying thank you. Maybe she was just so pleased to have gotten a designer who appreciated her curves and made something beautiful and luxe for her.

Can we talk about the Muslim girl? She is sweet and talented but I laugh each time Heidi says it's an anonymous runway like they don't fucking know the girl covered from head to toe dressed the model covered from head to toe. If that's her choice, great, I totally respect it, but this is Project Runway and her scope in my view is too limited.

The twins are an abomination and each time one of them speaks I want to shriek. Looks like they get their comeuppance next week!

• Love 9
12 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Didn't we all know that Claire was not going to be the "or more" to be aufed. 

Ha! I knew because I recorded the overnight airing (too many 9pm conflicts) and it was full of promos for next week clearly showing Claire. Bah, I need to get better at fast-forwarding without looking.

Aaron's look was so poorly done...how does one turn out something that unfinished with two days to work? Embarrassing.

Edited by Michichick
Aaron is not Brandon
  • Love 2

It occurs to me there may be a large difference in perception between people who sew clothes and those who don't.  I fall into the first category, and I pay particular attention to drape, seam finishes, etc.  I know wht types of construction require skill, and what types do not (as do the judges). I know which fabrics are difficult to work with.  I appreciate it when a contestant handles these challenges well.  

Whereas someone who does not sew might very well be judging based solely on whether they think the final effort is pretty and/or they would wear it.  

7 minutes ago, politichick said:

. . .this is Project Runway and her scope in my view is too limited.

I hear you, and I wouldn't wear most of what she produces, but there is a huge demand for more "modest" stylish clothing , not only from Muslim women but from many others.  

Edited by Sprockets
Posted before it was fully baked.
  • Love 14
11 minutes ago, Michichick said:

Aaron's look was so poorly done...how does one turn out something that unfinished with two days to work? Embarrassing.

Aaron seemed to spend more time on his muslin "mock-up" of a design he didn't use than he did on the finished "garment."  

• Love 7

Kenya's fit her model well but as being impeccably made?  Every time they showed the closeup of the top-that one string hanging down drove me crazy.  But all of them seem to have loose threads and whatnot because there just isn't enough time.  And most of them don't even finish the hems-they just cut it.

But I did not care for Kenya's.  I didn't find anything special about it at all and it does not help that I absolutely loathe peplums.  It was a tuxedo pant and peplum top.  No design there.

And maybe that is why Brandon got the win.  Because he is surprising the judges and giving them something that they have not seen before.  I happened to like it but can understand why others did not.  I also liked Kentaro's a lot.  

I would have given the win to Brandon just to see the look on Claire's face!

• Love 17

So glad to see Kenya in the top. I thought she would be the winner but inthinkninget why Brandon was chosen. It was well constructed and unexpected. Those qualities carry so much weight. I actually did expect Nina to be upset about the side boob, though. 

Very mich enjoyed Kenya's eyeballing the twins dashing and clattering around. I thought Shawn was going to slide into a wall and hurt herself, thanks to her slippery shoes. I don't hate the twins but I sure roll my eyes a lot. I still they were home-schooled special snowflakes who were never encouraged to socialize with anyone else. Homeschooling can be positive and enriching, or it can reinforce isolation and specialness. They should have been in public school AND never in the same class. 

Claire's gown skirt was clearly inspired by Aaron's underpant display last week.

I thought the Disney kids were decent judges. They were articulate and had some interesting comments. Even the "I wouldn't wear it" comment was backed up with a little additional commentary. 

Oh, Aaron. I think he simply overthought to the point that he got way away from his personal taste (or "taste"), and he spent WAY too much time on the muslin mockup. Which was probably because he was insecure due to overthinking. The result was just so so so pitiful. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, CaughtOnTape said:

As far as Brandon's in concerned, it deserved the win if for no other reason than it was original.  Kenya's was a good interpretation of the challenge and was well made, but it was not original in any way.  And Michael's was also well made and a good interpretation but it was nothing new or original either.  And this is Project Runway.  Would I have worn Brandon's?  No.  Never.  But I'm not exactly on the cusp of fashion and I don't believe it was made with me in mind.  It was made for the runway and I frequently don't like what designers send down the runway so....

Agree that Brandon's look was original.  I didn't care for it but it was fashion forward.  Every catalogue I've received recently--Neiman Marcus, Lafayette, Bloomingdale's--had outfits with those kind of sleeves.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, loki310 said:

You know, I think the twins are getting a bad edit. You can tell that they're really talent - lol jk. They are incredibly annoying and I hope one of them goes home next week. I don't even care which one. And then I hope the one that remains gets laryngitis and can't speak until she goes home.

I'm personally hoping one gets the boot and the other self eliminates since her sister won't be there to help. 

14 minutes ago, suzeecat said:

All the designers have been pretty much covered here, but has anyone else noticed there appears to have been a Swatch switch?

This week's Swatch appeared much thinner and YOUNGER ! ! ! !

I thought Swatch looked much darker too! I don't remember Swatch having so much black fur before. I swear last season's was almost all light grey. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I thought the Disney kids were decent judges. They were articulate and had some interesting comments. Even the "I wouldn't wear it" comment was backed up with a little additional commentary. 

I agree. I thought they were on point and got their criticisms through with tact.

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, suzeecat said:

All the designers have been pretty much covered here, but has anyone else noticed there appears to have been a Swatch switch?

This week's Swatch appeared much thinner and YOUNGER ! ! ! !

I keep thinking that this show has to end before Swatch dies because it'll be so sad not to see him. A quick Google search tells me he's around ten so hopefully he has a few more years left!

• Love 4

I like Brandon, and I liked his look, but I would like to see a different silhouette from him soon.

I usually like Amy's stuff, but today's look did not do it for me.  Ugly color, wrinkled.  I didn't think she was notably better than the non-Aaron members of the bottom 3 and could easily have been down there with them.  

I didn't hate Ayana's design, but those colors... YUCK.  Ayana's color palette has been horrible basically every week except the week she did black, and I'm surprised no one has said anything to her yet.  No more mustard, tan, curry, panty-hose colors, please!

Liris needs to sit down.  "This is the first time someone has designed for my body."  Brandon made her a midriff-baring crop top (which ended up on the top) for the first challenge.  She also wore that horrible yellow Big Bird thing with the extremely fitted top and way-short skirt that rightfully got whats-his-name sent home.  I get that Brandon's was oversize and not fitted (because that's what Brandon does) and that the yellow thing was ass-ugly, but it's not like everyone's been sending her down the runway in a potato sack trying to cover her up like her body's a problem.  This show isn't about her and what she likes to wear...

• Love 18
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I liked Amy's silver cape when it was closed but the pink dress underneath looked poorly constructed with bad material. It looked like a shitty homemade version of Gwyneth Paltrow's dress when she won an Oscar for Shakespeare in Love.

Yes! That is exactly what I thought as well. I loved the cape though, made me think of art deco 20s-30s movies glamour.

I think the twins cause the cheating drama, but I still can't figure out why Tim is so, so angry about it. He was shaking he was so angry, I know the twins are rage inducing, but it seemed a bit over the top.

Of course I am off to the UK for 2 weeks so I will miss the next episode unless this is on in London? Anyone know?

• Love 2

Claire's looked like a Barbie dress, the kind that is the cheapest in the toy store, $1.99 at best.

Aaron's looked like his model fell into a birthday party and got caught in the streamers

Amy's- yes, on whoever said Mrs. Roper. Not a good reference.

Samantha: so, so very ugly. So ugly.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, LAFR said:

I didn't ask but I'm very glad that others did. Thank you for bringing back coverage of Project Runway. And especially thank you for doing so in such a way that I can read it at my desk.

Yes, the podcasts are not for work or other environments with people around.  Greatly prefer written material.

24 minutes ago, dollsandroses said:

I was pleasantly surprised to see the 2 plus sized models looking so elegant & sexy.  I think that's the point to this season, that woman of all sizes can be beautiful & sexy.

It's a good palate cleanser after Amy's inexplicable win a couple of years ago.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, phantom said:

The judges like Brandon because he makes stuff they haven't seen before on the show and after how many dozens of seasons that's not easy. I think they are just ecstatic to look at something that is both creative, fresh AND well-made. Whether it actually fits the challenge du jour is secondary.

Exactly.

I didn't care for Brandon's outfit, it looked like a pink apron with one of those 18th century regency women's jackets that only fit over the bodice. And it was not evening. I loved Kenya's.

I am now at the point where I only watch the runway show because I cannot handle the antics of the twins in the workroom. I am not sure what next week is about . but I do think it's unfair that the twins work as a team most of the time. Yes, they all ask each other's opinions and sometimes help each other out, but the twins behavior  goes way beyond what is fair. If they had a show where everyone competed as teams that have worked together IRL, then that would be fine. This ain't right. 

And I agree with the poster upthread who said that the twins are in it for exposure, pure and simple. When they introduced themselves as designers for Katy Perry, my reaction was ewww. My reaction still is ewww.   

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 7

Love Brandon, but I really don't get his win except for the "very different" factor.  Design  - and side boob - aside, it's far too casual to qualify as evening wear IMO, it seemed like something you'd go sailing in (well, except for those sleeves).

Thought Ayana should have been in the bottom - that ugly mishmosh of ugly colors and ugly fabrics was awful.  

Loved Amy's 1920's cape but the dress was terrible, and whoever said it was like Gwyneth Paltrow's Oscar dress was spot on.

How could Aaron NOT get auffed with that. . .whatever it was?  

Claire's bitch face is hilarious - top of the heap  as a special snowflake.  If the twinsies aren't being intentionally obnoxious, then they are just tone deaf no-talents.

I loved, loved, loved Kentaro's - but I'm a big fan of subtle in color and draping.  I thought it was gorgeous and elegant.  Maybe it didn't read "good" to the judges, but to me it was by far the most sophisticated piece on the runway.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, phantom said:

Such a wasted opportunity to get some good air time. I don't think they even mentioned where the site is (Tarrytown, NY)? And none of the designers referenced the architecture as an inspiration so it seems like a wasted trip to me.

Good point. I live near there and just the opening shot of the Hudson made me think "I know where that is!"  Why DID they bother to go there?

• Love 1

My verdict: Kenya should have won. Brandon's look was good, but Kenya's was better. 

As for Aaron's look, what a hot mess that was. If Swatch had chewed it up & spat it out, it couldn't have been any worse. 

Because it can never be said enough, SHUT UP, CLAIRE!! And that literally goes double for your sister! 

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

I cannot handle the antics of the twins in the workroom

That running is SO childish. That's why they keep falling and getting stuff caught on the work tables and such. I guess it "proves" to the others how HARD they are working :/

• Love 11

Didn't Zac say to Brandon "we've seen this several times.  You need to do something else?"  Then Brandon gets the win?  I quite liked the sleeves and pink striped fabric, but it certainly didn't represent "good."  Kenya should have gotten the win.

Maybe the twins will run with scissors and "accidentally" trip over someone's foot.

I think this Swatch is version 2.0.  I swear I read the original Swatch crossed the bridge.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Souris said:

I'm depressed because Brandon is so clearly The Chosen One and is going to win and I DO NOT GET IT. His stuff always looks like a hot mess to me. He seems like a lovely person, but ... just no on the designs.

This! I do somewhat like it and think he's original, but I also don't really get it. Also this look reminded me too much of his previous looks. For me it was safe on the higher side, but there were others that deserved top 3 more IMO. And I think Kenya should have won over Brandon. But it seems pretty clear he is destined to be in the finale and probably will win.

Aaron's look... Pffff. One of the ugliest ever on PR. His previous looks, with the exception of the team challenge, were ugly as hell too. Makes me wonder how he even got on the show. What he sent out today just... You can't do that! Like Nina said, this is Project Runway. Most of the time the aufed looks have either proper construction or some sort of vision, at least something redeeming, like the colouring in Claire's dull fairy princess dress, but Aaron's dress was a mess top to bottom.

So the model paired with the losing designer loses too? Before this season I think they gathered all the models after the elimination and made the designers pick and the leftover model was out. Though they stopped showing it after the early seasons.

I didn't mind they cut out all the model stuff to focus more on the designers in the later seasons, but I liked the model stuff in the earlier seasons. I don't really care for the models giving their opinions in front of a mirror. If they want more for the models in PR, give me Morganza going out in Jay's dress all night and ruining it, give me models being clients and having to shop for the fabrics themselves, give me designers stealing each others models give me a motherfucking walk off. But maybe that would take away too much from the designers again...

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

I liked Kenya's suit but it did not seem original to me.  With the sleeves and the bib, looks like something Prince wore in concert circa 1985, only less sexy.

Agree. It was lovely, and the model rocked it, but it wasn't original.

Also, I noticed the sheen on Brandon's fabric, so it read evening to me--not traditional black dress evening, but an evening bent. And it fit the challenge perfectly, not a costume, but essence of good, like if Snow White was hip and happening.

• Love 12
28 minutes ago, dleighg said:

That running is SO childish. That's why they keep falling and getting stuff caught on the work tables and such. I guess it "proves" to the others how HARD they are working :/

They are exactly the sort of people who spend hours complaining about how busy they are instead of using those hours to get shit done. Everything they do is performative. Everything is for an audience. That has to be exhausting. I'd feel bad for them if they weren't 100% the cause of their own stress.

• Love 16

I did not like Brandon's design and it didn't even fit the theme. It wasn't Good nor Descendants inspired or wearable. And the top was  a crop top with the models boobs hanging out. What's so innovative about that compared to the other designs?

I thought Kenya's should've won. Her looks like a feminine modern take of Captain Hook.

Edited by In2You
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Sprockets said:

I've been sewing for over 50 years, and I know exactly what she meant.  Designing for and sewing for a larger model is a challenge.  

As have I, both professionally and for my own amusement.

Technically it's a different challenge. It's really not just a case of cutting/making something bigger or fuller; all of the patterning is different. DD boobs fall (no pun intended) a lot different than AA's do--they need much more support and that calls for different sewing skills. A crotch where thighs are rubbing together must be cut and fitted differently. I'm not in any way saying it's better or worse but it's a whole 'nuther ball game if you've never done it.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 12
14 hours ago, CherryMalotte said:

At least with Brandon it's not something you've seen every day of the week,...

Maybe not every day of the week, but we've seen cropped tops from him for the last four Thursdays.

Edited by Miss Ruth
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, politichick said:

Can we talk about the Muslim girl? She is sweet and talented but I laugh each time Heidi says it's an anonymous runway like they don't fucking know the girl covered from head to toe dressed the model covered from head to toe. If that's her choice, great, I totally respect it, but this is Project Runway and her scope in my view is too limited.

I remember someone posting last season that they actually do the show twice--once with no contestants and once with. That would make sense, otherwise it would be obvious who the designer is, you'd just have to look at their faces as the clothes went down.  I suspect that if that's the case, then Ayana wouldn't put the scarf on her model during the first showing, as that would let the judges know who she is.  Last week, it wasn't obvious which was hers. I agree with the many posters who have said that there's a big market for modest fashion. For some, it may be a religious thing, and for others, they simply don't want to show skin. It's a smart designer who thinks about this portion of their customer base.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

While to the rest of us, it only serves to prove acting all frantic is not indicative of talent or skill. To the contrary, in fact.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

While to the rest of us, it only serves to prove acting all frantic is not indicative of talent or skill. To the contrary, in fact.

I had a principal  who used to say, "Don't think I'll be impressed with you if I drive by here at 6 o'clock and you're still here.  Work smarter, not harder!"
"

• Love 13
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

Childish and disrespectful. Aside from being the most annoying humans to ever compete on this show, their constant yelling and running is very disrespectful to the other designers. They're such special snowflakes, I'm sure it has never occurred to either of them that the workroom is a shared space and respecting others while you use it is the way to work. If I was trying to design or work on a garment with them shrieking and running around, I'm pretty sure I'd lose it and club them with a hot iron or stab them with my shears. I loved Kenya's reaction to Claire in the sewing room.

I loved Michael's this week and wish he would have won. I get Brandon's was different, but I feel Michael's really nailed the challenge. She totally looked like she could have been the evil queen.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, ava111 said:

I think they got two days just because they had to make the trip to the castle and then to Moods. I noticed they didn't get in to the work room till 3.30 pm so they couldn't possibly have give them only 6 hours.

I can't believe they visited Lyndhurst and didn't go INSIDE.   Talk about inspiration.   The house was once owned by robber baron Jay Gould.   The interior is a Victorian wonderland.   I have been there several times.   Lyndhurst doubled as Collinwood in the two Dark Shadows feature-length movies, House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, terrymct said:

There was a worse one.  Remember when Emilio tried to make a dress out of rope and washers?   

emilio_xl.jpg

Thank you! As I was watching last night, I kept trying to remember who had made the washer/rope bikini, and my mind just kept giving me 'Seth Aaron', and I knew it hadn't been him... same season, yes?

4 hours ago, phantom said:

As jacked up as Emilio's washer and string bikini was, it didn't send him home.

It should have - I remember being cranky at the time when it seemed his status as one of the season's chosen ones kept him safe. Although I will definitely say it's better than Aaron's, if only because it stayed put without actual hoiking on the runway.

• Love 1

There was an outtake thing that I caught because while fastforwarding it, I thought it was the show. I'm surprised it got cut. Claire is panicking about her top and Shawn points  out that she NEEDS to make progress and asks if there's anything non-top related that she can work on. I'm assuming that it didn't fit the flow of the episode, but it was the first twin interaction I saw that didn't have one doing any kind of work for or offering an opinion to the other. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, vibeology said:

They are exactly the sort of people who spend hours complaining about how busy they are instead of using those hours to get shit done. Everything they do is performative. Everything is for an audience. That has to be exhausting. I'd feel bad for them if they weren't 100% the cause of their own stress.

"Performatwins powers, activate! Form of - a howling dervish! Form of - an over-eNUNciating blowhard!"

I shall refer to them as the Performatwins from now on, which will hopefully only be for another episode. Why am I thinking that the big "scandal" is that they'll break a rule about how much others can help you with labor in an individual challenge?

2 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

I liked Kenya's suit but it did not seem original to me.  With the sleeves and the bib, looks like something Prince wore in concert circa 1985, only less sexy.

Or Austin Powers. (Same - I liked it, but didn't feel original enough)

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, lovesnark said:

Childish and disrespectful. Aside from being the most annoying humans to ever compete on this show, their constant yelling and running is very disrespectful to the other designers. They're such special snowflakes, I'm sure it has never occurred to either of them that the workroom is a shared space and respecting others while you use it is the way to work. If I was trying to design or work on a garment with them shrieking and running around, I'm pretty sure I'd lose it and club them with a hot iron or stab them with my shears. I loved Kenya's reaction to Claire in the sewing room.

I think the twins have worked it out that running in the workroom translates to camera time.   The show rewards their obnoxiousness.   Claire KNEW there was no way her refusal to thank the judges would end up on the cutting room floor.     These two have designs all right, but not on fashion.   They're here to make an impression.

• Love 18

Too much side boob!!!!

When the model said she'd be nervous wearing it out I believed her. I could see Heidi wearing it. She'd totally be fine with a boob or two popping out. It was interesting if you'd never seen any of Brandon's previous designs, but it was a bit same old same old by this episode. And I don't see evening unless it's an evening picnic. But, then, how do you eat?

I thought Magarita's was more flattering than Michael's, but his had more design. Isn't amazing how both their models looked probably two sizes smaller with more skin exposed? Margarita's looked three sizes smaller than in her sleepwear outfit.

Edited by carrps
  • Love 5

in contemplating Aaron's look and other hideous looks of yore, I think we should mention that woman who wrapped her model in black trash bags.  Stella was it?  I think that was worse than the Emilio Sosa hardware bikini.

Aaron seems like a sweet kid, but I don't get his aesthetic or personal style at all.  Or maybe I get it, but just am too skeeved out by it.  The saggy black camisole in that TH?  The off-color bloomers over the jockeys?  The weird yellow/pink hair?  I'm all for androgeny and don't mind men in skirts at all, but it's got such a pervy, flasher who lives in his mother's basement vibe.  It's like Norman Bates wearing his dead mother's tattered underclothes. 

I loved Brandon's look.  I don't view it in the I-would-wear/I-wouldn't-wear dichotomy.  I just loved it.  I loved how even though it wasn't fitted or revealing, it still mirrored her body shape and was really sexy.  Loved the colors and reference to menswear and bondage.  I do get tired of contestants always equating tight+skin with sexy.

But I would not have minded if Kenya won.  That was amazing and she is amazing.  Love the reference to Prince! Now that one I would wear (if I had the legs for it!)  Her model intrigues me, too.  She has an unusual face that I find interesting and beautiful.

• Love 7