Type keyword(s) to search

Retro TV Channels: ”The Good Old Days of Television”

• Start Topic

29 minutes ago, Maverick said:

I don't see where MeTV is airing Hazel.

It’s also Antenna that airs Hazel 

Edited by opus

My cable provider (RCN) has just added Start to my package (it replaced what was a 2d and therefore surplus Heros & Icons channel). Still haven't forgiven them for dumping MeTV for Charge!  But I'm enjoying the programming on Start and feeling old because at this point it is possible to be nostalgic for early 2000s TV.  I'm particularly enjoying the Cold Case reruns and also Crossing Jordan.

Also, Strong Medicine was ridiculously over the top melodramatic.

2 hours ago, dalek said:

Also, Strong Medicine was ridiculously over the top melodramatic.

It originally aired on Lifetime, so no surprise there! And that was before that channel devolved into complete trash.

I've been getting my 21 Jump Street fix for the past couple of weeks off the Roku Channel. I know it's not a retro channel, but it's rather a retro show now, isn't it. I'm somewhat closer to Tom Selleck's age than I am to Johnny Depp, but I am not feeling in the least like a child molester for oogling Johnny Depp in some teeny tiny shorts in an episode. I also did a lot of oogling of Selleck's Magnum PI short shorts back in the day and I feel no guilt whatsoever.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

ME-TV has added "THe Invaders" and "The Planet of the Apes" to their Late Sat.-early Sun. SciFi block.  They started off the "dick van Dyke Show" with two of the best episodes-"Coast-to-Coast Big Mouth" and "That's my Boy?"

• Love 2

I stumbled on the weekend binge of The Streets of San Francisco on Decades - missed the first 4 or 5 episodes, but set my DVR to get the rest.  My preteen self thought Michael Douglas was so freaking hot.  And now I have about 3 dozen episodes to savor.    

• Love 1

Well I was thoroughly enjoying the Hazel marathon on Antenna TV today...

until they played a  30 minute commercial for a local Kia dealership. WTF?  At first I thought it was just a programming glitch because it went back to a full Hazel episode but then it happened again. Only the last 30 seconds of the episode is shown.  How does this happen? Did the advertiser pay to have them interrupt the marathon?   I want to complain but have no idea who I would contact.  

11 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I want to complain but have no idea who I would contact.  

Their website has a contact page with an online email contact form:

https://antennatv.tv/contact-form/

Sadly no phone number of course.  They suggest using the Facebook page for the fastest answer, if you do Facebook.  

The Kia thing sounds odd to me, more like a mistake on the end of the local affiliate.

• Love 1
(edited)

Me-TV showed two more top "The Dick van Dyke Show" episodes, crowd favorite "It May Look Like a Walnut" and a good Laura episode "The Curious Thing About Women."

On 5/8/2019 at 1:29 AM, shapeshifter said:

I just noticed that Decades has been airing Twin Peaks

R.I.P. "Twin Peaks" and "The Mod Squad" actress Peggy Lipton has passed away.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Me-TV showed two more top "The Dick van Dyke Show" episodes, crowd favorite "It May Look Like a Walnut" and a good Laura episode "The Curious Thing About Women."

I remember loving that "Walnut" episode as a kid anytime I saw the rerun on TV. It's been ages since I've seen it, so it was fun to catch it again last night :). 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/26/2019 at 12:12 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

Me-TV will start running Three Stooges on Sat. evenings starting June 1st.  It will be interesting to see how censored they'll be.

Much as I love the Three Stooges, I pretty much hate this programming move since they're dropping Wild Wild West, which doesn't run on any other station AFAIK,  and since IFC and AMC both run the Stooges already and have for years.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:23 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

FETV is now showing "Route 66," one of the best written shows of that era.

I've forgotten how dark most of the "Route 66" episodes were, esp. considering the time they were aired.  I'm enjoying rewatching them.

This evening's (June 11) episode of "Route 66" on FETV, "Eleven the Hard Way", features Walter Matthau and famous face Edward Andrews as town officials gambling in Reno to make enough money to save their town.

• Useful 1
(edited)

By the way, I hope this isn't too off topic, but Route 66 is free if you have Amazon Prime (included with Prime Video).  As are all seasons of Dobie Gillis.  I thought for one great moment that Prime was going to give us all of Perry Mason as well, but it was just a tease!   They give you one free episode, then the rest requires CBS All Access which I will not subscribe to (my name and date of birth CBS?  I don't think so).  

Edited by roseha
fixed spelling
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, roseha said:

By the way, I hope this isn't too off topic, but Route 66 is free if you have Amazon Prime (included with Prime Video).  As are all seasons of Dobie Gillis.  I thought for one great moment that Prime was going to give us all of Perry Mason as well, but it was just a tease!   They give you one free episode, then the rest requires CBS All Access which I will not subscribe to (my name and date of birth CBS?  I don't think so).  

Just make up a name like Jane Smith with a fake DOB.

• Love 1
Just now, WendyCR72 said:

Just make up a name like Jane Smith with a fake DOB.

Ha, I guess I could do that Wendy :).  I've toyed with something like January 1, 1900 just to see if they'd notice.

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, roseha said:

Ha, I guess I could do that Wendy :).  I've toyed with something like January 1, 1900 just to see if they'd notice.

Ha, that sounds like something a Seinfeld character would do and then have to come up with a disguise upon receiving notice that they will be  publically honored as the oldest member of the service.

• LOL 4
(edited)

An interesting "Route 66" episode over the weekend on FETV, "A Month of Sundays" (1961, season 2, episode 1).  Buz and Tod are working in the Berkeley Pit, a copper mine in Butte, MT, when Broadway star Arline Simms (the lovely Anne Francis) returns to town, having abruptly left her hit show in New York.  Of course, Buz and Tod are immediately-and understandably-attracted.  Buz falls in love with Arline, going so far as to buying a ring and asking her to marry him, while Tod accidentally discovers the reason Arline left NYC. Poignant drama ensues.

Also in the episode is old-time matinee idol Conrad Nagel and Betty Garde (the contemptible Wanda Skutnik from "Call Northside 777"). Typical of the casting of this show.

At the end of the episode we get a good look at Berkeley Pit when it was still in operation. Today the huge Berkeley Pit is one of the country's biggest superfund sites. Abandoned by Anaconda copper mining company, it's a almost 1,800 ft deep (and a mile by a half-mile round) cesspool of highly acidic, poisonous water. When the pit fills to the water table level (est. to happen next year), it will contaminate the area's water supply with arsenic, cadmium, sulphuric acid, etc. The Pit is surprising close to downtown Butte.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

COZI TV is showing Kojak on Sunday nights.

When I was a kid I used to really enjoy watching the show in syndication on Saturday and Sunday afternoons on Metromedia NY 5.

(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 6:04 PM, roseha said:

Route 66 is free if you have Amazon Prime (included with Prime Video). 

Two good episodes last night from Season 2. Ethel Waters as a dying jazz singer who wants to band back together and gets Tod and Buz to help her (also in the episode jazz great Coleman Hawkins plays "Snooze").  The second has Robert Duvall as a heroin addict who Tod tries to get to go cold turkey.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
(edited)

One of yesterday's "Route 66" episodes featured a dark-haired Robert Redford as a young Polish-American student accused of killing his girlfriend.  Redford lost the Tod Stiles role in the show to Martin Milner. (We could have had Paul Newman and Martin Milner in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.")

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Useful 2
On 4/23/2019 at 11:02 PM, WendyCR72 said:

It originally aired on Lifetime, so no surprise there! And that was before that channel devolved into complete trash.

Heh. The TV tropes page calls "A Lifetime Movie Of The Week in episodic form".

But I'm glad for the Start channel for reairing Cold Case, especially since it will probably never be released on DVD. I'm also glad that unlike most channels, they don't stop/change their programming on the weekend.

I really wish a channel would rerun "Sisters".

• Love 3

Here are some screenshots to explain in more detail.

908818-A1-8309-4-D7-F-8-D53-16-C56-D02-D

Laff's schedule page had Mousehunt as being listed for today, when it was really 3rd Rock From The Sun. Even what’s on now had 3rd Rock From The Sun being incorrectly listed as 7 PM. 

Laff is saying that Summer School is being shown tomorrow, which is probably also going to be incorrect as well.

E1271567-80-FB-483-E-8-D69-4-A1-BFDC4-BC

Here is the correct information:

A115-CF9-D-689-B-49-B2-819-B-7879966-B01

698-C686-A-D76-C-4504-BB38-1-D7-E6-FE6-D

It should be interesting to see what Laff has scheduled for the rest of the week, because it’s all going to be the wrong information to even begin with according to them.

5 hours ago, Camille said:

Heh. The TV tropes page calls "A Lifetime Movie Of The Week in episodic form".

But I'm glad for the Start channel for reairing Cold Case, especially since it will probably never be released on DVD. I'm also glad that unlike most channels, they don't stop/change their programming on the weekend.

I really wish a channel would rerun "Sisters".

It’s really nice to see Touched By An Angel on the Start channel as well.

Do not trust Laff's website for what's playing, and only just depend on your television provider's listing for what's really playing.

That's what I'll be doing with XFINITY Stream, because they have the right information and Laff's website's schedule does not.

I never watched Decades - didn't really know I had it - but accidentally stumbled on their weekend binge of The Streets of San Francisco a few weeks ago.  I missed a few episodes, but my DVR caught the rest and I had a blissful couple of weeks watching 2 or so episodes a day.  I loved that show - Michael Douglas was sex on a stick, and he and Karl Malden were so great together. Since then I've checked to see what each week's binge would be, and it's been series I have zero interest in.  But the weekend of July 6, the binge will be Remington Steele,  another favorite of mine, with the divine Pierce Brosnan and in the first season, James Read too.  Speaking of sex on a stick . . .

3 minutes ago, Calvada said:

But the weekend of July 6, the binge will be Remington Steele,  another favorite of mine, with the divine Pierce Brosnan and in the first season, James Read too.

Oooh, thanks for the heads up! Love Remington Steele!

7 hours ago, Calvada said:

I never watched Decades - didn't really know I had it - but accidentally stumbled on their weekend binge of The Streets of San Francisco a few weeks ago.  I missed a few episodes, but my DVR caught the rest and I had a blissful couple of weeks watching 2 or so episodes a day.  I loved that show - Michael Douglas was sex on a stick, and he and Karl Malden were so great together. Since then I've checked to see what each week's binge would be, and it's been series I have zero interest in.  But the weekend of July 6, the binge will be Remington Steele,  another favorite of mine, with the divine Pierce Brosnan and in the first season, James Read too.  Speaking of sex on a stick . . .

It’s a shame that I don’t have Decades anymore, because it got dropped for Start TV.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/25/2019 at 6:02 PM, Calvada said:

But the weekend of July 6, the binge will be Remington Steele, 

Oh, thank you!  I try to look ahead to see what binges are coming, but missed seeing this coming!  I love Decades programming, so that means my provider will drop it soon, probably. 

On 6/25/2019 at 6:06 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Oooh, thanks for the heads up! Love Remington Steele!

Edited by freddi
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

It’s a shame that I don’t have Decades anymore, because it got dropped for Start TV.

I still have Decades, but I lost H&I for Start TV. So far, I am not impressed. At all.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I still have Decades, but I lost H&I for Start TV. So far, I am not impressed. At all.

Lucky. I don’t have H&I, but the condo my family and I stay at does. I only watch Start TV just for Touched By An Angel.

3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Me too, and I'm still bitter.

It’s unfortunate, but I got used to having it.