Type keyword(s) to search

Retro TV Channels: ”The Good Old Days of Television”

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Selfie was a surprising and disappointing cancel after 1 season. 
Equally (or more!) incomprehensible was the cancellation of BrainDead.

I'd also mention "Middleman".

On 5/8/2022 at 10:52 PM, ratgirlagogo said:

Terriers (IMO one of the best shows ever on television).

I think "Terriers" was hampered by its title.  People probably thought it was about dogs.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Speaking of one-season shows, I really enjoyed The Good Guys with Bradley Whitford and Colin Hanks.   Whitford's senior agent was caught in his past "glory days" and there was entertaining use of music, one episode even using the Stones' version of "You Can't Always Get What You Want"! (which would never be allowed in syndication I suspect, if the show had lasted that long)

I see the show is on Prime, I still have one three episodes I purchased.

Edited by roseha
Have 3 eps of the show.
  • Love 2
On 5/11/2022 at 7:35 AM, Gharlane said:

I never heard of MeTV+ before now! 

Is it a streaming service?  

It's a sub channel that's only available in a handful of cities per MeTV's website.

On 5/11/2022 at 4:25 PM, roseha said:

Speaking of one-season shows, I really enjoyed The Good Guys with Bradley Whitford and Colin Hanks.  

I really liked that one too and was bummed when it got cancelled.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

I seem to have lost Antenna TV and have Get TV in its place.  So bummed!  No more Family Ties, Barney Miller, Silver Spoons, etc.  :( 

If you get fetv, it has Barney Miller. On the bright side, getTV has The Rockford Files. Love me some James Garner.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well DAMMIT. ComCRAP just relaxed MeTV with StartTV.🤬🤬🤬🤬

Thank goodness for FrndlyTV so I can still get my Perry Mason and Brady Bunch.

Just what the hell is going on???

Do you get MeTV? They do 2 Perry Mason episodes weekdays.

1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

Do you get MeTV? They do 2 Perry Mason episodes weekdays.

On Frndly? Yes. But my cable provider has pulled MeTV. It’s no longer available. Like I said above, they replaced it with StartTV.

(edited)
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well DAMMIT. ComCRAP just relaxed MeTV with StartTV.🤬🤬🤬🤬

Thank goodness for FrndlyTV so I can still get my Perry Mason and Brady Bunch.

Just what the hell is going on???

22 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I seem to have lost Antenna TV and have Get TV in its place.  So bummed!  No more Family Ties, Barney Miller, Silver Spoons, etc.  :(

The change might be coming from the sub channel, not from Comcast. The contracts might have run out with MeTV and Antenna TV and they picked up StartTV and GetTV. 
I used to get Cozi, but now it’s all religious programming. 

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 1

For being a Sony Network getTV must try to save money by purchasing the most inexpensive to them packages they can in regards to some of the shows they air. I've seen Charlie's Angels rebroadcast on many channels over the years and the quality of the episodes getTV airs are pretty bad.  That's not the case for all the series that I occasionally watch that they happen to air. 

getTV was added to the YouTubeTV lineup awhile back.  They also have COZI which I didn't have access to when I had Uverse. I lost MeTV and Antenna TV though after cancelling Uverse. I'm home all the time so having access to "regular TV" is kind of a comfort thing. 

On 5/13/2022 at 8:39 PM, chitowngirl said:

The change might be coming from the sub channel, not from Comcast. The contracts might have run out with MeTV and Antenna TV and they picked up StartTV and GetTV. 
I used to get Cozi, but now it’s all religious programming. 

Nope. Turns out they removed it on the SD channels. MeTV is now an HD channel!

Still wish the MORONS in charge would bring back I Love Lucy, though.

3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Verizon did it - they dropped MeTV out of DC. We still get MeTV out of Baltimore, but on Suday nights at 10 pm they show local news instead of Ed Sullivan and Carol Burnett. Booo!!!!

That's too bad because The Ed Sullivan episodes lately have been just popular music compilations from various episodes. Last night's Folk-Rock compilation had a bunch of great clips.  (And no plate-spinners or Topo Gigio to sit through).

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

That's too bad because The Ed Sullivan episodes lately have been just popular music compilations from various episodes.

Yeah, I got all excited at that post and went through the cable guide to find Ed Sullivan only to see that it's just a music compendium.  I want to see the old shows I remember from childhood, cheese and all.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

Yeah, I got all excited at that post and went through the cable guide to find Ed Sullivan only to see that it's just a music compendium.  I want to see the old shows I remember from childhood, cheese and all.

They'll probably go back to running the old shows when they run out of genres (they've only been doing the compilation shows for three weeks.  This coming Sunday is Soul music).

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, my tiffany said:

My Comcast moved METV to a different channel and added METV+ and Decades.  I also get these on an antenna-anchored TV.  

I'm jealous that you have access to all three of those channels.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, my tiffany said:

My Comcast moved METV to a different channel and added METV+ and Decades.  I also get these on an antenna-anchored TV.  

Dang, much as I hated Comcast when I had it, I might be willing to change for Decades. I don't have a tv with an antenna.

14 hours ago, my tiffany said:

Now I have to see if they added Decades in my area! They moved MeTV from SD to HD channel, but I haven't seen MeTV+; they just replaced the SD channel that was MeTV with StartTV.

(edited)
On 5/18/2022 at 9:26 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Now I have to see if they added Decades in my area! They moved MeTV from SD to HD channel, but I haven't seen MeTV+; they just replaced the SD channel that was MeTV with StartTV.

Quoting myself, because YAY!!!! ComCrap finally added Decades!!! And I can watch My I Love Lucy!!!!!

Oh! And MeTV+ has also been added so I can now watch:

• Vega$
  • ORIGINAL Hawaii Five-0
  • Hardcastle & McKormick

Whaaaat????

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
On 5/17/2022 at 1:12 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

They'll probably go back to running the old shows when they run out of genres (they've only been doing the compilation shows for three weeks.  This coming Sunday is Soul music).

This coming Sunday, R&B Greats

The Ike And Tina Turner Revue - "Proud Mary"; Jackie Wilson - "Lonely Teardrops"; Stevie Wonder - "Fingertips"; James Brown - Medley: "Please, Please", "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag"; The Temptations - "I Can't Get Next To You".

(edited)

Ed Sullivan Rock Classics continues this coming Sunday (I guess there's still a British Invasion show to come)

Rock Legends

Elvis Presley - "Hound Dog"; James Brown - Medley: "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag"/ "I Feel Good"; Buddy Holly - "Peggy Sue"; Jerry Lee Lewis - "What'd I Say"; Fats Domino - "Blueberry Hill"; Bo Diddley - "Bo Diddley"; Elvis Presley - "Don't Be Cruel".

The Bo Diidley performance is "notorious" https://www.edsullivan.com/bo-diddley-on-the-ed-sullivan-show-story/

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Love 2

The music continues.  If they do more "Top Hits" shows, this could go on for a while.

Ed Sullivan's Rock 'n' Roll Classics

TOP HITS OF 1965 (S1, EP10)

The Four Tops - "Same Old Song" "Sugar Pie" & "Something About You"; Sonny & Cher - "I Got You Babe"; Herman's Hermits - "I'm Henry The Viii, I Am"; The Four Seasons - "Let's Hang On!"; The Lovin' Spoonful - "Do You Believe In Magic"; Tom Jones - "It's Not Unusual"; Dino, Desi & Billy - " I'm A Fool".

On 5/12/2022 at 10:00 PM, Jaded said:

It's a sub channel that's only available in a handful of cities per MeTV's website.

I really liked that one too and was bummed when it got cancelled.

I loved the Good Guys it was hilarious and had a great soundtrack.

• Love 2
On 6/7/2022 at 9:28 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

This coming Sunday's MeTV's "Summer of Me" binge is "I Love Lucy."

While I'm THRILLED with this (and I posted it in the show's thread), I am so uberly pissed at MeTV. Clearly they still have the rights to air this show, and have deigned to put it in their new block of "The Summer of MeTV", but won't put it back on the air for regular rotation?🤬

• Applause 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

While I'm THRILLED with this (and I posted it in the show's thread), I am so uberly pissed at MeTV. Clearly they still have the rights to air this show, and have deigned to put it in their new block of "The Summer of MeTV", but won't put it back on the air for regular rotation?🤬

I agree.  They also need to run The Dick van Dyke Show on a daily basis instead of one day a week.

• Love 3
On 6/7/2022 at 6:23 PM, kathyk24 said:

I loved The Good Guys it was hilarious and had a great soundtrack.

The one on Fox a few years ago? What's it doing on MeTV?

On 6/8/2022 at 9:42 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

TBH, I am suffering from I Love Lucy fatigue. It seems like it's practically on every syndicated channel now.

• Useful 1
41 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

TBH, I am suffering from I Love Lucy fatigue. It seems like it's practically on every syndicated channel now.

Curious - what channels? I don't recall seeing it on any channels when I'm going through my on-screen guide.

3 hours ago, Gharlane said:

The one on Fox a few years ago? What's it doing on MeTV?

It is? Which channels other than Decades? It's no longer on MeTV or Hallmark. And only select episodes on Paramount+ Now The Andy Griffith Show (as much as I love it) is on every damn channel, it seems and in two hour blocks.

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Curious - what channels? I don't recall seeing it on any channels when I'm going through my on-screen guide.

Same. When MeTV dropped it in early 2021, it seemed like all other cable shows dropped it.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1

The beat goes on...

This coming Sunday night

Ed Sullivan's Rock 'n' Roll Classics

GONE TOO SOON (S1, EP18)

Janis Joplin - "Maybe, Maybe, Maybe"; Elvis Presley - "Peace In The Valley"; Buddy Holly - "Oh Boy!"; The Mamas & The Papas - "Words of Love"; Bobby Darin - "Mack The Knife"; The Carpenters - "We've Only Just Begun".

• Useful 1

Next weekend's MeTV binge is "Leave It to Beaver."  Which of course is on everyday already, unlike "I Love Lucy." I'd prefer something like "Odd Couple" or "WKRP in Cincinnati" which isn't on rotation on their daily schedule.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Next weekend's MeTV binge is "Leave It to Beaver."  Which of course is on everyday already, unlike "I Love Lucy." I'd prefer something like "Odd Couple" or "WKRP in Cincinnati" which isn't on rotation on their daily schedule.

I agree with you. But they are touting it as a Father's Day tribute. I see we're going to get Laverne & Shirley at some point. They dropped that show on Sundays without any notice. I also see we're getting Gilligan's Island marathon at some point which they show regularly.  The Love Boat has also disappeared. While the show was predictable, it was fun to see who showed up as guest stars.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

WKRP in Cincinnati seems to have moved over to Decades for now. Decades began running it (starting with the pilot) it in the 12:30AM Eastern/9:30PM Western time slot last week.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm annoyed the pulled The Love Boat.  Presumably it will be back in the fall when the Sunday blocks end but it didn't need to be taken off because the marathons don't overlap it but the pushed Full House into its slot.   MeTVs Sunday programming has been crap for a while now.  Insipid Gilligan's Island for hours on end, Full House, Monk, MASH that already airs endlessly throughout the week.  The whole day is a waste right now unless they marathon is something interesting, which doesn't look likely. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Maverick said:

I'm annoyed the pulled The Love Boat

Given that CBS has "The Real Love Boat" starting in the fall, there might be a rights issue involved in this matter.

• Sad 1
9 hours ago, Maverick said:

I'm annoyed the pulled The Love Boat.  Presumably it will be back in the fall when the Sunday blocks end but it didn't need to be taken off because the marathons don't overlap it but the pushed Full House into its slot.   MeTVs Sunday programming has been crap for a while now.  Insipid Gilligan's Island for hours on end, Full House, Monk, MASH that already airs endlessly throughout the week.  The whole day is a waste right now unless they marathon is something interesting, which doesn't look likely. 

"Monk" plays on about three other retro channels as does "Full House."  Actually, since I've started rewatching "MASH" I don't mind, but there are only about 6-7 shows left of the final season for me to watch. There are so many shows that either aren't on or play only once or twice a week, I don't see the need to binge these much broadcast series.

7 hours ago, SVNBob said:

Given that CBS has "The Real Love Boat" starting in the fall, there might be a rights issue involved in this matter.

Oh, Lord!

9 hours ago, SVNBob said:

If this is “real” then what was what we were watching all these years? Not real? 🤣🤣. I guess it’s their way of naming it to not get it confused with the original but it’s from so long ago it might not make a difference?  I watched the original back in the day so it could be interesting to see who would show up on this version.  

• LOL 1
31 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

If this is “real” then what was what we were watching all these years? Not real? 🤣🤣. I guess it’s their way of naming it to not get it confused with the original but it’s from so long ago it might not make a difference?  I watched the original back in the day so it could be interesting to see who would show up on this version.  

I assume its another "reality" show.  I guess you'd have to wait for "Celebrity Real Love Boat" if you want to see b-listers and washed-up "stars" on the show.

• LOL 2

The music continues.  Unfortunately there were a lot of better songs in 1969 than most of these (I wonder if by 1969 Ed didn't want to deal with most of the popular bands, who probably looked down on the show anyway.

Top Hits Of 1969 (s1, ep14)

Smith - "Baby It's You"; Oliver - "Jean"; Brooklyn Bridge - "Worst That Could Happen"; The 5th Dimension - "Aquarius/Let The Sun Shine In"; Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Proud Mary".

On 6/14/2022 at 11:17 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

I assume its another "reality" show.  I guess you'd have to wait for "Celebrity Real Love Boat" if you want to see b-listers and washed-up "stars" on the show.

Thinking about this more, I wonder if Charo from the original Love Boat will make an appearance 🤣

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

Thinking about this more, I wonder if Charo from the original Love Boat will make an appearance 🤣

She should, it would be perfect.  Maybe she could fall in love with Jimmie J.J. Walker and they could collect Medicare together.

• LOL 5

Decades binges for July: 7/2-3 - The Twilight Zone (this also continues all day for the holiday on Monday); 7/9-10 - Remington Steele; 7/16-17 - Hardcastle & McCormick; 7/23-24 - The Wild, Wild West; 7/30-31 - Taxi.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

Decades binges for July: 7/2-3 - The Twilight Zone (this also continues all day for the holiday on Monday); 7/9-10 - Remington Steele; 7/16-17 - Hardcastle & McCormick; 7/23-24 - The Wild, Wild West; 7/30-31 - Taxi.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll sign up for a 7-day free trial on Frndly to see TWWW (even though I have the series on DVD 😁). I lost Decades a few years ago.