Type keyword(s) to search

Retro TV Channels: ”The Good Old Days of Television”

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

It's not a reboot. It's just a special "one night" sort of thing paying homage to the original series, where actors will get together and recreate a particular episode of the original series. They did this for "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons" a couple years ago, now they're going to do the same for these show. 

Do we know what day and what episodes? I want to set the DVR 😊

On Sun. Dec 12, the "Alfred Hitchcock" show on METV showed the episode "The Jar", from a story by Ray Bradbury, and with a great cast including Billy Barty, George Lindsey, Pat Battram, Slim Pickens, and many more. I remember being creeped out by this episode as a kid.  When I was young I used to do a haunted house around Halloween and charge neighborhood kids 5 or 10 cents to go through it (until the other kids mothers made my parents stop it because I was scaring the bejeebers out of their kids).  The last year I made a "Jar" to include in the haunted house. 

• Love 1

This weekend, the Decades binge has been changed to The Monkees, in tribute to Mike Nesmith. 

For January: 1/1-2 - The Twilight Zone (60s version); 1/8-9 - Promised Land; 1/15-16 - The Fall Guy; 1/22-23 - Batman.

• Love 1

Noticing the reference to both shows above, it's interesting to me that 60s shows like Batman (3 Seasons) and The Monkees (2) ran relatively briefly despite being enormous hits.  

RIP Mike Nesmith.

• Useful 1
19 hours ago, roseha said:

Noticing the reference to both shows above, it's interesting to me that 60s shows like Batman (3 Seasons) and The Monkees (2) ran relatively briefly despite being enormous hits.  

RIP Mike Nesmith.

Batman ran 2 episodes a week though for the first two seasons, for a series final total of 120 episodes, a number almost equivalent to 5 full seasons

• Useful 1
On 12/16/2021 at 7:48 PM, roseha said:

RIP Mike Nesmith.

Batman started off as a superhit but sort of ran out of steam.  The writing wasn't very good and they pretty much ended up repeating themselves over and over.

• Love 1

Now with the unfortunate passing of Betty White (sob!) I'm wondering if The Twilight Zone will get nerfed for Mary Tyler Moore and/or Golden Girls. If it does please let me know.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Useful 1
On 12/31/2021 at 3:36 PM, LexieLily said:

Now with the unfortunate passing of Betty White (sob!) I'm wondering if The Twilight Zone will get nerfed for Mary Tyler Moore and/or Golden Girls. If it does please let me know.

Next weekend Decades will be binging The Mary Tyler Moore show.  

• Love 1

TVLand is running a marathon of Golden Girls right now through tomorrow evening, followed by

Hot In Cleveland [just started]. and runs through early Monday morning.

Maybe they will continue preempting the scheduled shows after that too?

Now it looks like Golden Girls is going to run tomorrow (Sunday)during the day, 6am—11pm, and more Hot In Cleveland 11pm—6am Monday.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
Just now, chessiegal said:

Well, that's nice, but really MeTV. Two hours? That's the best you can do? We're talking Betty White!!!

It's entirely possible that they already had a bigger event planned for her birthday in a couple more weeks and they're going to keep that on schedule.  But they also want to honor her now while everyone else is.

• Useful 3
11 hours ago, SVNBob said:

It's entirely possible that they already had a bigger event planned for her birthday in a couple more weeks and they're going to keep that on schedule.  But they also want to honor her now while everyone else is.

We'll see. They gave more tribute time to Dawn Wells!

• Love 1

In addition to showing MTM in honor of Betty White this weekend, Decades is also running her episode of The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast from 1978 several times: Friday at 9 p.m., Saturday at noon, Sunday at 6 p.m., and Monday at 5 a.m.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Hyacinth B said:

And I'm probably one of the three people in the US who remembers it, but it looks like Decades is bringing back one of my favorite childhood heroes. Saturdays at 5:30 AM Central, the old 1950's British "Adventures Of Robin Hood" series starring Richard Greene. Happy day!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047706/

I remember that and I think Monty Python's Dennis Moore song was a parody of the "Robin Hood" theme.

• LOL 1

Yep!

From the comments on IMDb, it was very popular in Britain in the 50s and early 60s. It must have been more popular in the US than I remembered too. I still recall that our local barber shop had an advertising poster in their window for some mens' hair product with Robin and Marian. I loved walking by the shop just to look at that poster

They actually started with the first episode too. And I remember every word and note of the theme song. 

• Love 1
On 1/5/2022 at 6:53 PM, Hyacinth B said:

And I'm probably one of the three people in the US who remembers it, but it looks like Decades is bringing back one of my favorite childhood heroes. Saturdays at 5:30 AM Central, the old 1950's British "Adventures Of Robin Hood" series starring Richard Greene. Happy day!

I never saw it, but I've always wanted to.  Sad I don't get Decades. :(

7 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I never saw it, but I've always wanted to.  Sad I don't get Decades. :(

There was a brief rash of British shows that ran on US stations in the late 50s-early 60s, including this, "Ivanhoe", and the "Invisible Man" show.  Then there weren't many more until the later 60s and early 70s, with "Secret Agent", "The Saint", "The Avengers", and "The Prisoner". As well some PBS channels showing British shows like "Dr. Who" and "Monty Python."  I wish more non-US shows would run on US channels (such as Canadian "Corner Gas").

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Love 4

"Corner Gas" is so brilliant.  I was introduced to it years ago when visiting Newfoundland (the show was still running at the time) and ended up buying all the seasons from Amazon.ca.  It flows even better without commercials.

It shows now on Amazon Prime, highly recommended.  Some of my favorites are "Telescope Trouble", "Gopher It", "Final Countdown" and the laugh out loud funny "Blog River" in which Hank takes on the internet and Wanda tries to teach cop Davis to cheat on his taxes.  Priceless.

Edited by roseha
fixed typo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, roseha said:

"Corner Gas" is so brilliant.  I was introduced to it years ago when visiting Newfoundland (the show was still running at the time) and ended up buying all the seasons from Amazon.ca.  It flows even better without commercials.

It shows now on Amazon Prime, highly recommended.  Some of my favorites are "Telescope Trouble", "Gofer It", "Final Countdown" and the laugh out loud funny "Blog River" in which Hank takes on the internet and Wanda tries to teach cop Davis to cheat on his taxes.  Priceless.

I describe it as like "The Drew Carey Show," only funny.

• LOL 1

With MeTV adding Full House to their Sunday schedule, I decided to watch it, and oh boy.

I can't believe I actually watched this show back during its original run. Jodie Sweetin is just so adorbs, but ugh. I found myself fast forwarding too much, and decided, nope, no nostalgia for me.

And I'd completely forgotten that Mrs. Rossini* was Jesse's mother! I do remember that John Aprea (who I remember mostly from the first season of Matt Houston, and also who played a young Sallie in Godfather II), played Jesse's dad.

*Who's the Boss?

Decades has changed its binge for this weekend. On Saturday, 2/5. from noon until midnight, in honor of Howard Hesseman, will be WKRP in Cincinnati. All day Sunday is The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis

It looks like The Love Boat has been bumped. On 2/13-13 will be the That's My Mama/The Royal Family pairing, with 2/19-20 remaining Rhoda.

Edited by DXD526
addditions!
  • Love 3

Enjoyed watching the 2 episodes of "WKRP in Cincinnati" on METV on Sunday, even though the "Rip Tide" episodes weren't my favorite.  They did show that "WKRP" was on METV in 2017.  They could bring it back- maybe cut some "Brady Bunch" timeslots.

• Love 5

Out in the boondocks aka "Rochester NY" I can't reliably get my retro TV channels like I did in the suburbs of Chicago. 
But I've been enjoying my first time seeing Quincy M.E. on YouTube, which does not seem to be offered any other way anyway.

On 2/13/2022 at 6:51 PM, DXD526 said:

Upcoming Decades binges: 2/26 - The Flying Nun; 2/27 - The Girl with Something Extra and Gidget; 3/5-6 - Route 66; 3/12-13 - The White Shadow.

"Route 66" is definitely worth watching.  It was filmed on location all over the US (they should have done the same with "The Fugitive"). Can't say I even remember hearing about "The Girl With Something Extra.," but it was on opposite "The Odd Couple."

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

"Route 66" is definitely worth watching.  It was filmed on location all over the US (they should have done the same with "The Fugitive"). Can't say I even remember hearing about "The Girl With Something Extra.," but it was on opposite "The Odd Couple."

I remember “The Girl With Something Extra”, IIRC it was ESP.  The show didn’t last long so I’m surprised it’s showing up on Decades even though they’ve shown other short lived shows before.  

• Love 1

Decades is doing something different the weekend of 3/19 and 20. Instead of a binge, the 3/19 schedule looks like this (Eastern time): Diagnosis Murder from noon-6 p.m., Father Dowling Mysteries at 6, Back to the Streets of San Francisco at 8, MacGyver: Lost Treasure of Atlantis at 10, MacGyver: Trail to Doomsday at midnight. The 20th begins with two episodes of Vega$ at 2 and 4 a.m., then movies the rest of the day: The Brady Brides, Family Ties Vacation, The Odd Couple: Together Again, Gunsmoke: Return to Dodge, Gunsmoke: The Last Apache, Gunsmoke: To the Last ManGunsmoke: The Long Ride, Gunsmoke: One Man's Justice, The Wild Wild West Revisited, More Wild Wild West, The Capture of Grizzly Adams.

Not sure what that's all about, as the binge returns 3/26 and 27, with Mannix.

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, DXD526 said:

The 20th begins with two episodes of Vega$ at 2 and 4 a.m., then movies the rest of the day: The Brady Brides, Family Ties Vacation, The Odd Couple: Together Again, Gunsmoke: Return to Dodge, Gunsmoke: The Last Apache, Gunsmoke: To the Last ManGunsmoke: The Long Ride, Gunsmoke: One Man's Justice, The Wild Wild West Revisited, More Wild Wild West, The Capture of Grizzly Adams.

"Beating TV into the Ground" Day?

• LOL 4
On 2/28/2022 at 9:59 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

"Beating TV into the Ground" Day?

Could be going back to shows that ended years before and don’t need to see again.  Where’s the awful Patty Duke Show reunion movie or the Gilligan's Island TV movies, lol. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Cobb Salad said:

Could be going back to shows that ended years before and don’t need to see again.  Where’s the awful Patty Duke Show reunion movie or the Gilligan's Island TV movies, lol. 

Even old shows I liked the reunion shows are generally pretty bad. Luckily I think the only one listed above that I saw might have been "The Wild Wild West Revisited" which probably was better that "The Wild Wild West" theatrical movie.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Even old shows I liked the reunion shows are generally pretty bad. Luckily I think the only one listed above that I saw might have been "The Wild Wild West Revisited" which probably was better that "The Wild Wild West" theatrical movie.

I have to confess the first time I saw “Rescue From Gilligan’s Island” I enjoyed it but I was much younger, lol.  I had to see them being rescued.  Watching it years later I realized how bad it is.  Then there’s the Brady Brides which at the time was pretty stupid, so was the series that didn’t last very long.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

The Wild Wild West theatrical movie was terrible. Conrad accepted the award for worst picture at the 20th Golden Rasberry Awards to show his displeasure with the movie.

Robert Conrad, who played the lead role of James T. West in the 1960s television series The Wild Wild West created by Michael Garrison, showed up at the ceremony where he accepted three awards on behalf of the cinematic version of Wild Wild West, including Worst Picture as a way of expressing his disapproval with the film adaptation.

The Wild Wild West Revisited and More Wild Wild West tv movies were very campy by design. IIRC, they both got decent ratings.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Progressive commercial are better than that movie.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

The Wild Wild West theatrical movie was terrible. Conrad accepted the award for worst picture at the 20th Golden Rasberry Awards to show his displeasure with the movie.

The Wild Wild West Revisited and More Wild Wild West tv movies were very campy by design. IIRC, they both got decent ratings.

Wil Smith even apologized to Robert Conrad for that fiasco.  

• Love 2
(edited)
On 3/1/2022 at 5:42 PM, chessiegal said:

Well, it tried to be campy. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Gharlane
  • Love 1