Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Actionmage

Retro TV Channels: ”The Good Old Days of Television”

Thank you for posting the schedule.

Mannix is very watchable, although I like the early seasons far better than the latter ones.  The first season is my favorite.

T. J. Hooker.  Not a bad series, but I do get a little distracted with that tribble on Shatner's head.

Matt Houston is a decent series.  I think it went down hill a bit when Buddy Ebsen joined the cast.  And I do like Buddy Ebsen, but I just don't think he fit the series.  Much like when Dick Van Dyke joined The Carol Burnett Show.  I like Dick Van Dyke, but that was a terrible fit.

The Rookies, not a bad series.  I will probably watch a few episodes since it is rarely on television.

I am still not much of a fan of Aaron Spelling series.  And yes, I know Spelling was an executive producer for both The Rookies and Matt Houston.

It seemed like Matt Houston was ABC's answer to CBS' Magnum P.I.

Edited by icemiser69

45 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Mannix is very watchable, although I like the early seasons far better than the latter ones.  The first season is my favorite.

I find them enjoyable too.  The first season, though, is a completely different show - it's all Mannix versus the Machine.  Starting with season two we get Peggy! who I love.

Also it's shocking just how good the show looks. Somebody spent some time and money on remastering because honestly every episode looks as though it aired for the first time last week.  As opposed to, ahem, Cannon, which looks its age (not that I don't love it, because I do, but it looks, shall I say, unrestored).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I find them enjoyable too.  The first season, though, is a completely different show - it's all Mannix versus the Machine.  Starting with season two we get Peggy! who I love.

I like the first season when his boss turns on the camera and spies on him.

And yeah I agree, a totally different show when he went out on his own and hired Peggy in season two.  I liked Peggy. 

I do wonder how Mannix survived all of those years.  If he wasn't getting conked on the head, his car was getting knocked off of the road and careening down a hill.

Rockford got smacked around pretty good, but I don't think anywhere near as much as Mannix.

4 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Also it's shocking just how good the show looks. Somebody spent some time and money on remastering because honestly every episode looks as though it aired for the first time last week.  As opposed to, ahem, Cannon, which looks its age (not that I don't love it, because I do, but it looks, shall I say, unrestored).

Both Cannon and Barnaby Jones episodes haven't aged well at all.   Not only do they not look remastered, but the clothing.  Yikes the clothing.  Not only the horrible colors, but the collars on those shirts.  Yikes, they were so big, a gust of wind could lift someone right off of the ground.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

The Pink Panther cartoons are joining the cartoon line up on MeTV.  A The Inspector cartoon was on Toon in with Me, this morning.

Interesting that the Flintstones were pulled from the 6:00pm EST weekday lineup and replaced with the Adams Family.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 3

On 1/20/2019 at 1:17 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

All good shows. I don't think any of the other channels, ME-TV, Cozi, Decades, showed "Danger Man" (AKA, "Secret Agent").  Which also leads me to wish someone would show "The Prisoner'.

Both "Danger Man" and "The Prisoner" are shown on the free IMDb Channel. 😎

Also, "Danger Man" is shown on the Z Living Channel, two episodes a day, 4:00 a.m.--5:00 a.m. EST. 

Next up are Season 1, Episodes 30 and 31, Monday, 4/17/21. 

Decades is doing a little doubling-up for some of the binges next month. On 6/5-6/6 is Police Squad! and Sledge Hammer! There were only six episodes of PS! and all six will be shown once each day. On 6/12, Mama's Family, which on 6/13 is paired with Bosom Buddies, and on 6/19 is Taxi, paired with Cheers on 6/20. The only solo of the month is 6/25-27, Greatest American Hero

• Useful 3

23 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Decades is doing a little doubling-up for some of the binges next month. On 6/5-6/6 is Police Squad! and Sledge Hammer! There were only six episodes of PS! and all six will be shown once each day. On 6/12, Mama's Family, which on 6/13 is paired with Bosom Buddies, and on 6/19 is Taxi, paired with Cheers on 6/20. The only solo of the month is 6/25-27, Greatest American Hero

Sledge Hammer! was so ridiculous, but I still loved it [hence having the DVDs, which actually had a lot of great bonuses!], so I'll have to check that out.

• Like 3

Damn fetv. They're pre-empting their 4-10 pm time slot with father oriented shows for Father's Day - which is next Sunday! How dare they take away my Jim West from 4-6. Harumph!

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 7:17 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Sledge Hammer! was so ridiculous, but I still loved it [hence having the DVDs, which actually had a lot of great bonuses!], so I'll have to check that out.

Anne-Marie Martin was absolutely gorgeous in that series.

I could have done without the laugh track.  I hate laugh tracks with a passion, they are even worse when they are in cartoons.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 12:25 PM, chessiegal said:

Damn fetv. They're pre-empting their 4-10 pm time slot with father oriented shows for Father's Day - which is next Sunday! How dare they take away my Jim West from 4-6. Harumph!

I used to have The WIld WIld West lunchbox.  When I was a kid, my mom broke the thermos by putting hot coffee in it for a family member to use.  I wasn't happy.  The whole interior of the thermos shattered.  She should have know better.  That thermos was only for cold beverages.

I had to get a new lunchbox with thermos. I got stuck with a Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show lunchbox, which I am still embarrassed about.

I am hoping Decades will have another Wild Wild West binge weekend in the not too distant future.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 1

My Decades channel went away about 2  years ago. I'm still not happy about that. fetv is going to redeem themselves on Sunday the 27th with 6 hours of random The Wild Wild West episodes starting at 2 pm. I've discovered I probably have room on my DVR for all 104 episodes. I should just buy the whole series on DVD.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Anne-Marie Martin was absolutely gorgeous in that series.

I could have done without the laugh track.  I hate laugh tracks with a passion, they are even worse when they are in cartoons.

Anne-Marie Martin was married to the late Michael Crichton, author and creator of ER. They divorced before his death, but it is my understanding from what I've read that he still left much of his estate to her and their daughter.

I read she was also one of the writers in the movie, Twister.

She quit acting and now deals with raising horses and competing with them. (Read she even did so in the Olympics one year!)

But she was indeed striking.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

23 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My Decades channel went away about 2  years ago. I'm still not happy about that. fetv is going to redeem themselves on Sunday the 27th with 6 hours of random The Wild Wild West episodes starting at 2 pm. I've discovered I probably have room on my DVR for all 104 episodes. I should just buy the whole series on DVD.

You would probably get to see more of the episodes themselves, assuming they are on dvd as they actually aired first run back in the 60s.  Commercial breaks per hour are far longer now than they were back then.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 2

Well, saw the whole ad on fetv for TWWW marathon on June 27th, and it's a farewell marathon. Damn! How dare they take Jim West away from me!! I don't know how long fetv had been running this show. I rediscovered it during the pandemic. I was 15 when it aired on CBS, and have a vague memory of it, but was in college when it ended so probably did not see the later seasons. I did see it on other channels. Google tells me it was on MeTV and TNT at some point. Off to Amazon to buy the DVDs.

• Useful 1

3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Off to Amazon to buy the DVDs.

At the end of the day, if someone loves a show, and it's affordable and available, that's the best way to go.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Well, saw the whole ad on fetv for TWWW marathon on June 27th, and it's a farewell marathon. Damn! How dare they take Jim West away from me!! I don't know how long fetv had been running this show. I rediscovered it during the pandemic. I was 15 when it aired on CBS, and have a vague memory of it, but was in college when it ended so probably did not see the later seasons. I did see it on other channels. Google tells me it was on MeTV and TNT at some point. Off to Amazon to buy the DVDs.

That’s how I feel about I Love Lucy. MeTV aired it for years, then took it off its schedule in 2019; brought it back in 2020, then took it off again, while other, more stupid shows remain and air MULTIPLE times!🤬🤬🤬🤬

And while I have the series, it’s not the same!

• Useful 1

On 6/18/2021 at 12:22 PM, chessiegal said:

It may not be their choice.  It is possible that for whatever reason, they were unable to secure the rights to continue to air that series. 

I do wonder what they are going to air in its place.

I watch My Favorite Martian on COZI, and am annoyed that I don't get to see the closing credits.  There aren't any visible on my television screen.

Edited by icemiser69

4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I do wonder what they are going to air in its place.

Good grief, they're replacing it with Matlock Like you can't watch that a zillion times a day on fetv and other channels.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I complained to fetv this morning and got this email this afternoon.

Thank you for writing to us with your feedback. We do not take any programming decisions lightly. While we enjoyed airing The Wild Wild West for the last two years, we have some new shows coming for our fall schedule. Matlock will be a temporary replacement until we introduce the new shows this fall.

We are excited about the farewell marathon featuring the best Dr. Loveless episodes (and pop up trivia) this Sunday from 2-8p ET. More details for that marathon will be coming soon.

I guess they only had the rights to air TWWW for 2 years.

• Useful 1