Type keyword(s) to search

Retro TV Channels: ”The Good Old Days of Television”

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I'm considering Youtube TV when my cable contract ends in March.  How was it?

I liked the layout and the DVR options. It has a good variety of channels even though I had wished there were more. I'm not really a sports watcher for the most part so the large amount of those channels don't do much for me. I wanted to check out the PS Vue streaming service but it's shutting down next month.

The Starsky & Hutch and Charlies Angels scheduling back to back reminds me of the days when they both aired on TNT years ago.

• Useful 1

Looks like Hallmark Mysteries has picked up Magnum PI starting with a full day marathon a week from Monday (after our long nightmare of sappy Christmas movies finally comes to an end).   

I think it's funny how some of these shows just slide between networks.   Dragnet and Adam 12 are going off COZI but on to MeTV.  Magnum is going off COZI and onto Hallmark.  Facts of Life and Diff'rent Strokes are going off METV and onto Antenna.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Glendenning said:

I loathe Mary Tyler Moore. The less i see of her, the better. Far too many people still pine for the 1970s.

I don't "pine" for the 1970s. MTM was one of the best sitcoms out there - well written with good acting.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, Maverick said:

Looks like Hallmark Mysteries has picked up Magnum PI starting with a full day marathon a week from Monday (after our long nightmare of sappy Christmas movies finally comes to an end).   

I think it's funny how some of these shows just slide between networks.   Dragnet and Adam 12 are going off COZI but on to MeTV.  Magnum is going off COZI and onto Hallmark.  Facts of Life and Diff'rent Strokes are going off METV and onto Antenna.  

Well, be prepared for the bleeping out of "damn" and "hell" because you know, on Hallmark, those are "R" rated woirds, and you can't have them!

I'm ecstatic that I Love Lucy is returning to MeTV Come January 2. Didn't realize Charlie's Angels was being shunted off. But EGADS. Blocks of The Office? Blech. As long as I get my Perry Mason, Carol Burnett, and I Love Lucy on MeTV, I'm satisfied.

• Love 4
On 1/27/2020 at 9:40 AM, DXD526 said:

Upcoming Decades binges, honoring Valentine's Day with Love American Style on 2/8-9 and The Love Boat on 2/15-16. On 2/22-23 is The Jeffersons, and on 2/29-3/1 Remington Steele

Nice to see Remington Steele on there.

Why does COZITV always change its schedule just when they get to the Ironside episodes I haven't seen?  I'm also missing Kojak.

OTOH, Antenna is now showing It's a Living, which I haven't seen since it first aired, and I'm really enjoying that silly show.  Paul Kreppel as Sonny is hilarious.

And I'm still made at my cable provider for dumping METV for Charge!, but at least Charge! has now resumed airing Hong Kong martial arts movies.  They had a whole day of Jackie Chan, and Infernal Affairs was on recently.  Although I am a bit miffed that they stopped showing The Avengers and Secret Agent/Danger Man.

• Love 2
On 2/3/2020 at 11:24 AM, dalek said:

Why does COZITV always change its schedule just when they get to the Ironside episodes I haven't seen?  I'm also missing Kojak.

OTOH, Antenna is now showing It's a Living, which I haven't seen since it first aired, and I'm really enjoying that silly show.  Paul Kreppel as Sonny is hilarious.

And I'm still made at my cable provider for dumping METV for Charge!, but at least Charge! has now resumed airing Hong Kong martial arts movies.  They had a whole day of Jackie Chan, and Infernal Affairs was on recently.  Although I am a bit miffed that they stopped showing The Avengers and Secret Agent/Danger Man.

This TV also stopped showing The Avengers as well.

I don't think of Mary Tyler Moore having anything to do with the 70s. 

The Mary Tyler Moore Show is remembered for its realistic and complex characters and storylines, in contrast to the simplistic characters and plots typically seen on broadcast television at that time.[1] It was the subject of consistent critical praise and high ratings during its original run, receiving twenty-nine Primetime Emmy Awards, including for Outstanding Comedy Series three years in a row (1975–1977); Moore received the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series three times. The series also launched three spin-offs: Rhoda (1974–1978), Phyllis (1975–1977), and Lou Grant (1977–1982). In 2013, the Writers Guild of America ranked The Mary Tyler Moore Show #6 on its list of the "101 Best Written TV Series of All Time."[

• Love 3
20 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I find Aaron Spelling's series to be horribly written dreck.   The dude was unbelievably rich.   He was doing something right, but his shows definitely weren't my cup of tea.

This weekend I didn't feel well and ended up awake at 2 am watching "Hart to Hart" on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries. Talk about a formula that every single episode followed, complete with an absolutely unrealistic fight scene at the end! On the upside, the leads were charismatic (despite Robert Wagner potentially being a murderer), and over 40, and the concept of the ultra-wealthy couple swanning around solving crimes was entertaining.

• Love 3

So Decades still exists? The station playing it in north Florida switched to "Charge!", which sucks, but their site says they're "coming soon", but I'm not sure when it was last updated. 

ISo Decades still exists? The station playing it in north Florida switched to "Charge!", which sucks, but their site says they're "coming soon", but I'm not sure when it was last updated. I've also read that Decades was phased out or ceased to exist.

Decades is over the air in DC and Baltimore. I bought an antenna that is supposed to work for 60 miles. I'm 30 miles from both, and can't get it - the antenna only picks up 2 or 3 channels that I already get with cable.

Last year, I read that my Decades affiliate was one of the ones that was going to be dumping it, but months later, I still have it, so I'm not complaining.

Some upcoming binges: 4/4-5 The Love Boat; 4/11-12 Matt Houston; 4/18-19 The Father Dowling Mysteries; 4/25-26 Diagnosis Murder.

Starting this weekend, Antenna TV is switching to doing binges on Saturdays and Sundays.    I'm not wild about binges to begin with and really not digging their choices.   This week it's Murphy Brown and News Radio and next week it's Alice and Archie Bunker's Place.   Ugh.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Starting this weekend, Antenna TV is switching to doing binges on Saturdays and Sundays.    I'm not wild about binges to begin with and really not digging their choices.   This week it's Murphy Brown and News Radio and next week it's Alice and Archie Bunker's Place.   Ugh.

I enjoyed Murphy Brown the first time around, especially Dan Quayle's outrage over a single mother, but the few reruns I've watched seem dated.

15 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I enjoyed Murphy Brown the first time around, especially Dan Quayle's outrage over a single mother, but the few reruns I've watched seem dated.

That makes sense to me.  The show-within-a-show on Murphy Brown was a 60 Minutes-like news show, and based out of Washington, D.C., with Murphy as the political correspondent on the show.  Discussion of then-current events and politicians was part of the base format; mixed with the usual workplace sitcom shenanigans, of course.   After 30+ years, most of those references would be dated.

• Love 2
(edited)

RDecades just started running “Bosom Buddies,” for those of you who need a daily dose of Tom Hanks as a 20-something skinny guy in women’s clothing.  They replaced one of the “Newhart” (Vermont) reruns to start this; Peter Scolari starred in both of them. 

ETA:  I tuned in on April 7, but they were still airing two “Newhart” episodes—although the guide said “Bosom Buddies”.  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 1

I recently discovered the Comet was running Quantum Leap on weekday afternoons, so I've been watching. In the 2 hours before the 2 episodes of Quantum Leap, they are showing Sliders. I watched that occasionally during its first run, but I've been watching. There are things I don't understand since I didn't watch the show before. Does anyone know anything about backstage gossip on the show?

MeTV's released it's Summer of Me schedule.  We're getting Happy Days!  Yay!  And Mama's Family!  Yay!  We're also getting Laverne and Shirley.  Boo!  Bad enough Logo plows us up the tucus with that show for hours on end (it ain't camp, Logo) but now we got it on MeTV.

https://metv.com/stories/happy-days-laverne-shirley-and-mamas-family-join-the-metv-schedule-this-summer

I hope Happy Days sticks around.  Ditto for Mama's Family on Sunday nights.  No change in their drama schedule, meaning we're still getting the same Westerns during the day.  What I wouldn't give for them to show The Untouchables and The Fugitive during the weekdays instead of at 3 in the morning Sunday nights.

• Love 2
(edited)

I REALLY wish someone would rerun "Sisters". I always liked it and to this day, it torments me that there were episodes that I missed, so I wish I could see them.

On 12/24/2019 at 6:04 AM, Glendenning said:

Just a reminder that the 1990s were thirty years ago,

Heh. I've been telling people for years that the moment you realize you're getting up there in age is when it's the 20th/25th/30th anniversary of some landmark event like the Challenger disaster/Tianamen Square massacre/Berlin Wall collapse and you suddenly realize that you remember when it happened, even if you were still very young at the time--I was in elementary school when all of these landmark events happened --the Challenger disaster was a big deal for kids because of the "first teacher in space". I couldn't believe it when their 20th anniversaries rolled around and wondered how on earth I could be so young and yet be old enough to clearly remember something that happened 2 decades before.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 5
(edited)

So true. For me, that'd be things like OJ Simpson and the Oklahoma City bombing-I would've been in fourth grade at the time of both (and in the case of the former, that one lasted from the summer before I even entered fourth grade all the way until I was early into fifth grade). 

God. That is weird to think about. 

As for the new lineup for the summer, I'm curious what this means for the "Monkees" reruns, 'cause my mom was enjoying watching those on Sundays, but now "Mama's Family" is replacing them. Will they be on at a different time now, or just not be shown at all? 

Edited by Annber03
(edited)

A sort of public service announcement: 
Here in the greater Chicagoland area, flooding took out the OTA (Over The Air) CBS signal, including all it's affiliates, like Bounce, which airs L&O reruns every weekday morning, and StartTV, which airs Cagney & Lacey and The Closer every afternoon and In Plain Sight and The Good Wife every evening, as well as MeTV and H&I. 🙁
Their power source is in the Willis Tower. (/chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/05/18/willis-tower-power-outage-cbs2

Update:
"...floodwaters gushed into homes and parking garages and Lower Wacker Drive, where a ComEd substation was knocked out about 2 a.m., cutting off power to the Willis Tower, according to ComEd. The power remained out Monday afternoon..." (obviously the least of the worries of those effected, chicagotribune.com/weather/ct-rescue-flooding-chicago-rain-power-out-20200518-zr7xvccykfdotkhqk7ghaizz7q-story.html).

And (chicago.suntimes.com/2020/5/18/21262120/willis-tower-power-outage-flooding-weather-lower-wacker) :

The outage also affected TV stations that use the tower’s antennas for broadcasting. The outage knocked out CW26, The U, MeTV, Heroes & Icons, Decades and Bounce, WCIU said on Twitter.

Latest (https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/05/19/chicago-weather-recent-storms-break-may-record-for-rainfall/:

The flooding on Lower Wacker Drive also has left Willis Tower without power since early Monday morning, after a ComEd substation was knocked out. Crews were still working to pump out floodwater from the basement of the iconic skyscraper on Tuesday. ComEd said they are not yet able to estimate when power will be restored.  The Chicago Department of Transportation said they expect Lower Wacker Drive to remain closed between Randolph and Harrison streets through Saturday night to allow for the water to be pumped out of the Willis Tower basement, and for concrete road repairs to be completed.

Edited by shapeshifter

Z Living has been showing the Conan the Adventurer series (w/ Ralf Moeller as Conan) on Sunday afternoons. They've cropped the top and bottom off so it'll fit into the HD aspect ratio (boo!), the video quality isn't great, and show itself has obvious budget constraints. At least some of the wizards or warlords of the week don't take themselves too awfully seriously and have fun with their roles. I think The Skull That Talks is my favorite character.

Z Living has also been showing Silk Stalkings.

On 5/18/2020 at 8:57 PM, Terrafamilia said:

Z Living has also been showing Silk Stalkings.

Now there is a blast from the past! I remember watching that every Sunday night on pre-NBC Universal-owned USA Network. Good times! I do have the DVDs but haven't watched in ages.

Maybe since I don't get this network, I'll have to dig them out. I see they are going for a MINT on eBay now since they are out of print. Wow.

• Love 2
On 5/18/2020 at 11:55 AM, shapeshifter said:

A sort of public service announcement: 
Here in the greater Chicagoland area, flooding took out the OTA (Over The Air) CBS signal, including all it's affiliates, like Bounce, which airs L&O reruns every weekday morning, and StartTV, which airs Cagney & Lacey and The Closer every afternoon and In Plain Sight and The Good Wife every evening, as well as MeTV and H&I. 🙁
Their power source is in the Willis Tower. (/chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/05/18/willis-tower-power-outage-cbs2

Update:
"...floodwaters gushed into homes and parking garages and Lower Wacker Drive, where a ComEd substation was knocked out about 2 a.m., cutting off power to the Willis Tower, according to ComEd. The power remained out Monday afternoon..." (obviously the least of the worries of those effected, chicagotribune.com/weather/ct-rescue-flooding-chicago-rain-power-out-20200518-zr7xvccykfdotkhqk7ghaizz7q-story.html).

And (chicago.suntimes.com/2020/5/18/21262120/willis-tower-power-outage-flooding-weather-lower-wacker) :

Latest (https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/05/19/chicago-weather-recent-storms-break-may-record-for-rainfall/:

And we're back! Cagney & Lacey on in 44 minutes! I have my stress fix. 

cheerleader.gif

• Love 1

Decades binges for June: 6/6-7 Love American Style; 6/13-14 The Monkees; 6/20-21 Car 54, Where Are You? and The Phil Silvers Show; 6/27-28 The Wild, Wild West

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I was glad to see MeTV bring back Happy Days, but I wonder why they started with Season 2. I was looking forward to the pilot and Season 1.

Season 1 is airing on Sunday afternoons. The “why are they doing it this way?” I have no idea.

Edited by opus
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, opus said:

Season 1 is airing on Sunday afternoons. The “why are they doing it this way?” I have no idea.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to set the DVR to make sure I get them, even though we are home most of the time.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I was glad to see MeTV bring back Happy Days, but I wonder why they started with Season 2. I was looking forward to the pilot and Season 1.

13 hours ago, opus said:

I was wondering about that as well! And what a surprise! I thought we only saw Chuck (WHO?) in the pilot, but nope. He apparently made one more appearance in season two. And him disappearing, never to be heard from again wasn't such a bad thing, after all.

I adore Ronnie, er, I mean Ron Howard. And I love that they're playing the extended opening credits--which include scenes from the first season.

And yay! Now we have Don Most on MeTV plugging the show. I wanna see Anson, Henry, and Ron show up as well. And I hope Marion comes back, too.

• Love 2
(edited)

CBS isn’t  a retro net of course, but they’re also doing a Carl Reiner tribute 

>>>CBS will honor the memory of legendary actor, producer, director, writer, comedian and Emmy Award winner Carl Reiner with THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW – NOW IN LIVING COLOR! A SPECIAL TRIBUTE TO CARL REINER, featuring two colorized back-to-back classic episodes of the beloved 1960s series, Friday, July 3 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. As series creator and co-star, Carl Reiner personally supervised the original colorization of the episodes.

The special features “Coast to Coast Big Mouth,” which ranked #8 on TV Guide’s list of the “100 Greatest TV Episodes of All-Time,” and “October Eve,” which Mr. Reiner considered to be one of the series’ funniest episodes. Both were written by Bill Persky and Sam Denoff.<<<

Just now, opus said:

Edited by opus
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1