Type keyword(s) to search

Retro TV Channels: ”The Good Old Days of Television”

• Start Topic

Another MeTV update.  Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea is coming to the end of its first season (aka the black & white episodes that made sense) and will be starting season 2 on Saturday night, July 16.  Jonah and the Whale is the first color episode of the series and the beginning of the monster of the week stories featuring extraterrestrials and sea monsters galore.  The whale in Jonah and the Whale is comically proportioned and will pop up again in later episodes.

On 7/4/2016 at 2:38 AM, Collinwood said:

Attention Perry Mason fans.  MeTV is coming to the end of the series run on the evening of Thursday, July 7 with the final episode, The Case of the Final Fade-Out.  On Friday evening they are starting over with the first episode, The Case of the Restless Redhead.  There are no guarantees of course that we'll get another full run (nine seasons), but since MeTV shows Perry twice a day, the show must be pretty popular.

Thanks for the news!  I just wish MeTV would put Perry on at 9 or 10 pm in prime time, since it doesn't come in well in my cable/over the air reception via Tivo in New York City, and the best way I can watch it is on Time Warner TV which I can get via Roku.  Sometimes it's hard to record *everything*!

Here in the Chicago area, MyNetworkTV is also advertised as My 50 Chicago. I get it free over the air with an antenna. While watching The Closer reruns (one of my favorite offerings on that station), during a commercial break they said the station will become the CW. Does that mean no more reruns like The Closer?

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Here in the Chicago area, MyNetworkTV is also advertised as My 50 Chicago. I get it free over the air with an antenna. While watching The Closer reruns (one of my favorite offerings on that station), during a commercial break they said the station will become the CW. Does that mean no more reruns like The Closer?

If your MyNetwork station is turning into a CW station, yeah. No more repeats as they are two separate stations as far as I know (as I have a CW affiliate here as well as a separate MyNetwork station). Sorry.  :-(

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

If your MyNetwork station is turning into a CW station, yeah. No more repeats as they are two separate stations as far as I know (as I have a CW affiliate here as well as a separate MyNetwork station). Sorry.  :-(

I'm going to hope that at least one of the other 40+ free channels I get will at least pick up the rights to air The Closer.

(edited)
On 2/4/2016 at 7:00 PM, shapeshifter said:

If only modern crime shows had a main character with half the heart of Matlock!

Andy Griffith is such an underrated actor.  To play both Andy Taylor and Ben Matlock so easily and naturally is really a tribute to his versatility.  To say nothing of his performances in Centennial, Murder In Texas, and one of my favorite made-for-TV movies, Winter Kill.  Plus: A Face In The Crowd.

I don't understand why what I consider the best TV show that ever TV'd - Mission: Impossible - is nowhere to be found.  At least in New Mexico.  I bought the whole boxed set, but somehow it's not the same lol.  Miss you Cinnamon!

Edited by Albino
  • Love 2

Mission Impossible shows up on Decades every so often.  If I remember correctly a bunch of years ago it was on FX ... it's one of those shows that isn't shown much anymore, unfortunately.  I watched many of the later episodes during the original run but was too young to realize what a good show it is.  I was hooked last year during the Decades binge marathon, nothing but Mission Impossible for me for about 5 days straight.

MeTV had Mission: Impossible a few years ago.   They cycled through the entire at least a couple of times.  It was a good show, but it definitely lost something when Rollin and especially Cinnamon left.   None of the permanent replacements held a candle to her and most of the guest agents of the week were passable but were no Cinnamon.   

Heroes & Icons has just landed on my Must Watch list with the addition of ALL FIVE Star Trek series, every day except Saturday. Finally a chance to catch the last season of DS9! And there's still Herc and Xena in between the 2 ST blocks.

"Now here’s a way to boost your channel’s ratings where no ratings have gone before: Schedule all five of TV’s “Star Trek” series to air together nightly. (Except Saturday.)

It’s happening this week on Heroes & Icons, the digital subchannel offshoot of MeTV that launched nationally in fall 2014..."

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/heroes-icons-metv-offshoot-to-air-all-5-star-trek-series-1.12088186

• Love 2

Plus, the original Star Trek series is being shown uncut!  The airings at dinner time during the week is like a blast from the past when it was first in syndication.  Yes, I'm old.

I was planning to finally make an effort to watch DS9 but they're showing it at 11pm. ... Maybe it'll be shown earlier sometime in the future.

• Love 3
On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 5:46 PM, Cobb Salad said:

Mission Impossible shows up on Decades every so often.  If I remember correctly a bunch of years ago it was on FX ... it's one of those shows that isn't shown much anymore, unfortunately.  I watched many of the later episodes during the original run but was too young to realize what a good show it is.  I was hooked last year during the Decades binge marathon, nothing but Mission Impossible for me for about 5 days straight.

The show was on Decades this evening, August 3 (episode from season 3). 

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 0:53 AM, Maverick said:

MeTV had Mission: Impossible a few years ago.   They cycled through the entire at least a couple of times.  It was a good show, but it definitely lost something when Rollin and especially Cinnamon left.   None of the permanent replacements held a candle to her and most of the guest agents of the week were passable but were no Cinnamon.   

I know that some people are pleased with H&I's Star Trek line up, but they've lost me until the wee hours when it's time for The Man From U.N.C.L.E. I am not now, never was nor will ever be a Star Trek in any form fan. I'll be looking for something else until I find the part to repair the remote sensor and get another remote so I can go back to Netflix or maybe Hulu

Supposedly BUZZR will be airing 'new' repeats starting Monday.  For those that are tired of seeing the same 50 or so episodes of Match Game, Family Feud, Block Busters, Password, and Tattletales, there's hope!

• Love 1

after complaining on here about H&I running all Star Trek every night, they may be redeeming themselves, a little. In September they will be running cartoon shows, including Superman and one of my all time favorites, The Greatest American Hero! I know it was not a great show, but I loved it and look forward to seeing it again. And Superman was one of my favorite shows when I was a child. Not sure other than Batman  what else they will be running, I've only heard the ad once. Batman - I can take or leave, usually leave.

4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I wish we got H&I, I loved The Greatest American Hero!

I am amused by the description on my cable guide for Seven Brides for Seven Brothers on Get TV because it is always for the movie and not the TV series.

44 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Technically, my area gets H&I, but only OTA. Which means if one doesn't have a digital antenna and has cable instead, then it's down to being SOL.

Yes, I get H&I with my Mohu Leaf antenna in my window facing Chicago, which is 30 miles south. I use a cable splitter so I can also watch or record to my DVD recorder/player, so you could use a splitter to choose cable or antenna if you have both.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I don't think an antenna will reach Chicago's signal, I'm in PA! The only station in PA that has H&I is in Allentown, which I do not live near.

Ah! I made a geographic assumption based on your screen name. 
My daughter is in PA, and was thinking of getting an antenna, so I guess research is in order first. 

• Love 1
On 8/27/2016 at 3:41 PM, Lola16 said:

Supposedly BUZZR will be airing 'new' repeats starting Monday.  For those that are tired of seeing the same 50 or so episodes of Match Game, Family Feud, Block Busters, Password, and Tattletales, there's hope!

So much for that. BUZZR took off Super Password, Child's Play, and a few others.  Tattletales only runs for an hour on Weds morning which sucks because the show was shot 5 episodes in a row. For Match Game and the Family Feud, it seems they are airing different episodes early in the morning but runnign the same old repeats in the afternoons and evenings.  WTH.  Are they that challenged at making a schedule?

24 minutes ago, Collinwood said:

Last minute reminder.  Tonight's Svengoolie on MeTV is the original pilot for Star Trek from 1965 starring Jeff Hunter.  It will be shown in two parts this evening.  No Kirk or McCoy in this one.

Thanks, @Collinwood, I'm going to attempt to record it on my old DVD recorder from over-the-air MeTV while I watch the season finale of Aquarius.

3 minutes ago, Collinwood said:

Last minute reminder.  Tonight's Svengoolie on MeTV is the original pilot for Star Trek from 1965 starring Jeff Hunter.  It will be shown in two parts this evening.  No Kirk or McCoy in this one.

I've been watching the Star Trek marathon on BBC America and looking up the original pilot made me understand where the footage came from in the first season two-parter, "The Menagerie".

Tonight on Antenna TV the September 5, 1990 episode of the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson aired, including B. B. King, who sang and played his song, "Peace to the World":

Raise up your hands
And put a smile on your face
I'm talking to everyone
In the human race
We're proud and strong
So stand up tall
Let's all get together
Bring peace to the world
There's a train of love
Beginning right here
So jump on to it
And have no fear
It's yours, it's mine
We got the call
Let's all get together
And bring peace to the world
Let's all get together
Bring peace to the world
Let's all get together
Bring peace to the world
Every man and woman
Boy and girl
Let's all get together
Bring peace to the world
Shelter the homeless
Open your door
Feed the hungry
Give to the poor
Offer your heart
Don't think small
Let's all get together
Bring peace to the world...

http://www.metrolyrics.com/peace-to-the-world-lyrics-bb-king.html

I saw him live in the 70s, and had his albums, so tuned in to see this episode.

Given this year of Chicago (and elsewhere) record breaking high temperatures and the record breaking violence that accompanies this and other (socioeconomic etc.) factors, the hope in his song made me sad. I'm glad he didn't have to see it.

In olden days, the 1960s, I was in high school when The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was on, I loved it and was an Illya girl. To this day, I continue to have a crush on David McCallum and love him as Ducky on NCIS, he and Mark Harmon are the reasons I still watch. A few months ago, I caught UNCLE on one of the retro antenna channels, it was an early episode and in black and white. I found it a little embarrassing. But the last month or so, I've started watching in the wee hours on H&I. I have rediscovered an old love. The show really is full of humor and there are some of the funniest lines, like this little exchange: Napoleon Solo: I.want.you.to.stop.being.obnoxious. U.N.C.L.E. Agent not Illyia Kurikan: Why, I could sooner not breathe.

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

In olden days, the 1960s, I was in high school when The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was on, I loved it and was an Illya girl. To this day, I continue to have a crush on David McCallum and love him as Ducky on NCIS, he and Mark Harmon are the reasons I still watch. A few months ago, I caught UNCLE on one of the retro antenna channels, it was an early episode and in black and white. I found it a little embarrassing. But the last month or so, I've started watching in the wee hours on H&I. I have rediscovered an old love. The show really is full of humor and there are some of the funniest lines, like this little exchange: Napoleon Solo: I.want.you.to.stop.being.obnoxious. U.N.C.L.E. Agent not Illyia Kurikan: Why, I could sooner not breathe.

I also found it embarassing. It was like gratuitous sex and violence lite for preteens. BTW, I was one of the few girls who prefered Napoleon Solo.

30 minutes ago, auntjess said:

It depends on the show, and the person.
I find The Odd Couple and Bob Newhart still funny, but not Dobie Gillis.
And I loved Route 66, but don't watch it, although I still think George Maharis is very handsome.

I never saw Route 66 when it originally aired, but I was captivated by it on Decades when the network went live nearly (I think) a year ago. The plots were very cerebral/philosophical. But that is probably also why I have no desire to watch them more than once. OTOH, I can watch my newly found favorite show Barney Miller over and over because of the mix of social commentary and humor.

I know this is a first world problem and the folks who made the call likely won't  pay attention to this however. . .

I'm annoyed that Antenna TV put Wings in the timeslot formerly occupied by Barney Miller then Family Ties as I looked forward to seeing these shows after my shift and I never liked Wings the first time around. How the latter show lasted even one season much less all the seasons it did is something akin to not getting why Jerry Lewis is popular in France, IMO.

• Love 3

How the latter show lasted even one season much less all the seasons it did is something akin to not getting why Jerry Lewis is popular in France, IMO.

Omg, I have thought the same thing about Wings. I never watched it when it was on, finding it bland and mediocre. One day I was flipping around and found it on reruns, and thought, how the hell was that show on long enough to get syndicated? I looked it up on IMDb and found that it was on for YEARS. 

I just don't find it that interesting. It doesn't bring anything to the table - the writing is serviceable but not clever, and it says nothing about the time and society in which it ran. In addition to being funny, Barney Miller also is a view as to how NYC was viewed in the 1970s. And while I'm less enthused about Family Ties, it did show a family of boomers raising a family, including a Reagan-worshipping son (plus it had great comic acting from the Michaels Fox and Gross.)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

I know this is a first world problem and the folks who made the call likely won't  pay attention to this however. . .

I'm annoyed that Antenna TV put Wings in the timeslot formerly occupied by Barney Miller then Family Ties as I looked forward to seeing these shows after my shift and I never liked Wings the first time around. How the latter show lasted even one season much less all the seasons it did is something akin to not getting why Jerry Lewis is popular in France, IMO.

About 10 years ago I purchased a DVR recorder (about $100) since I was working 1-3 evenings per week. Now I mostly watch missed programs online, but for Barney Miller and other older shows, I still use it. At the time my teenage daughter thought it was a waste of money, but it still works.

• Love 1

shapeshifter, I'll agree with you that The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was sexist, but so was everything else at the time, but I think it was done with mockery and humor. I think there was beginning to be awareness. However, I've been half watching Star Trek Enterprise for the past few weeks, just saw an episode where there 3 men rappelling down something. Two, younger, very attractive men, one older, considered less attractive. As they went into a lighted space, the younger men went first, camera tightly focused on their hot young behinds in their uniforms and equipment. As the third, older, less attractive man came into the shot, fade to dark. Another thought, I think this show was a precursor to so many dramedies (however it's spelled), this was probably one of the first times that the writers were aware they were writing sexist, violent, fluff, so they went with it. Bordering on spy movies and science fiction, they had to do something to amuse themselves. I guess the argument could be made that spy movies are part of science fiction, I don't know, getting headache. 

Gratuitous violence? Of course, all of these shows were perceived, and created by men and seem to me to be their biggest, baddest fantasies, the need of some American spirit to get and use their guns to compensate for other fantasies. Have recently been watching Kojak, I believe it was made a few years after UNCLE, but talk about gratuitous violence! And too many shows today also show gratuitous violence, so many of the sci fi and procedural shows are excessive, and that's on major, over the air broadcast tv, not even cable which has much more leeway.

Of course, your experience and opinion may vary. 

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 2

Sometimes you can crash and burn during a trip down memory lane.

Case in point:  I eagerly turned on GetTV Monday night to watch the very first episode of The Sonny & Cher Show.   I remember loving this show...she was so chic and beautiful, he was funny, and the chemistry was great.  It. Was. Awful.  The opening monologue was embarrassing.  It was like they were trying to be so "kooky" and it was...ugh.  And Cher must have sung 6 songs in the hour.  Six!  Jimmy Durante was the guest star.  What?!?!?  And Steve Martin was one of the writers, something I assume is not on his resume.

The show did get better - thank God - but man, the first episode was painful to watch. 

The only thing I loved was Cher's 70's body...no boobs, no butt, thin as a rail.  Those were the days.  :)

It's on every Monday night, if you dare to have your memories crushed.

• Love 3

I thought Cher looked divine during that series. Sonny would make fun of her nose but I thought it was perfect for her face (much like Princess Diana, who reportedly was sensitive about her nose.) I wish she had never changed it.

• Love 2

I wanted to watch that episode of Sonny & Cher, I tried, it was pretty bad, then I fell asleep. I remember when it was on originally and how much fun we found it. I was in college, we didn't have tvs in every room, just one in the chapter room of my sorority and one at my bf's, so there were always a bunch of people watching. We loved it! I don't know if I'll watch it again, maybe, if I remember and can stay awake. 

I did wake up and watch Bette Middler after, she really was divine but frantic.

I hope this has been long enough since my last post so I'm not double posting. I really hate the tv show on H&I, Kung Fu. The writing was terrible, the acting was terrible, I didn't watch this show when it was on and since it's frequently too much trouble to get up and change channels, I leave it on, but I hope to get the remote problem fixed in the next few days and I won't be back for this show. I'd rather watch cooking shows! Actually, as soon as the remote problem is fixed, I'm getting Netflix turned back on.

• Love 1
On 9/14/2016 at 0:29 AM, auntjess said:

MeTV is showing Our Miss Brooks early in the mornings.
I watched one, and loved it at the time, but once was enough to see it, just as a curiosity.

Yup!  That's the thing with these ancient shows.  You think, "Yay...this'll be so much fun!" and then you watch it and are almost glad when it's over...and you don't watch any more episodes.  

IMO, the best writing for TV sitcoms was mostly in the 70's and 80's (Barney Miller, MTM, Designing Women, Newhart-psychologist, Cheers, early Mash, etc).  I wish those writers (any who are still with us) would set up a school so they can teach the young writers of today how it's done.  How to pace those funny one-liners (and fit them into regular dialogue) so they're not on top of each other and actually have some memorable humor to them.  I had to add the word "mostly" as I just remembered my favorite, Seinfeld, was in the 90's ;>)

• Love 5

To me, The Odd Couple, along with Bob Newhart, were the funniest, along with some of the Mary Tyler Moore ones.
Loved the early MASH ones, with Wayne Rogers, too.
Never watched sitcoms much by the 90s.  Mostly watch Nightline and PBS then, when I wasn't on the computer.

• Love 2

I forgot about The Odd Couple...and I'm sure I forgot about a bunch of other classic sitcoms.  And Wayne Rogers was my favorite actor on Mash.  It's too bad they let Alan Alda have so much control over story lines/dialogue.  It got to be more of a downer after a while.  I loved finding out that Wayne, who was an Alabama native, gave himself a New Yawk accent to avoid being given only southern roles.  Ding ding ding: one more great program--WKRP in Cincinnati (Herb Tarlek was my favorite).

• Love 4
12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yup!  That's the thing with these ancient shows.  You think, "Yay...this'll be so much fun!" and then you watch it and are almost glad when it's over...and you don't watch any more episodes.  

Happy Days. I think it's the laughter that annoys me.

Edited by ennui
cattykit pointed out that it's a live audience. I guess I don't like people.
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

And Wayne Rogers was my favorite actor on Mash.  It's too bad they let Alan Alda have so much control over story lines/dialogue.  It got to be more of a downer after a while.  I loved finding out that Wayne, who was an Alabama native, gave himself a New Yawk accent to avoid being given only southern roles. 

Mine too, although I always heard he developed the accent as a homage to Peter Falk.  I couldn't stand Alan Alda in MASH; thought his acting was way OTT, annoyingly sanctimonious, and vastly overrated.

20 minutes ago, ennui said:

Happy Days. I think it's the laugh track that annoys me.

ICBW but I think Happy Days was taped in front of a studio audience.  It's shows like MASH that had no business having a laugh track.  IIRC they tried once to do an episode without a laugh track but gave it up after that.

I've been reading this thread because I discovered H&I on my DirecTV feed but don't quite understand how an antenna works for the other channels they won't carry.  I'm really enjoying seeing Hill Street Blues and Star Trek Voyager again, and am finally getting to see ST:DS9. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, cattykit said:

Mine too, although I always heard he developed the accent as a homage to Peter Falk.

I read this too.  I believe they were buddies.
I always thought Mike Farrell was sanctimonious, or at least his character was.

• Love 1

I also found it embarassing. It was like gratuitous sex and violence lite for preteens.

I wrote about this somewhere else on the board, but I revisited UNCLE also after not seeing it since I was probably a young teenager, and it seemed so silly and implausible that I almost wondered if it was actually intended as a satire.  Probably more "tongue in cheek" perhaps but I don't think from what I saw that it holds up very well (they were fortunate though to have Barbara Feldon as the guest star in the second episode I saw to shore up the comedy aspect).  I do like David McCallum on NCIS however.

Just wanted to add that I have had problems in the past with the over-the-air transmission from METV in the New  York Area (though I live right near the transmitter, it's "low-VHF" which apparently is problematic) anyway it would break up a lot, which really frustrated me when trying to record Perry Mason.  However it has suddenly improved considerably.  I don't know if they changed anything but I hope they keep it up if so.

Edited by roseha
Comment on METV
  • Love 2
On 9/14/2016 at 2:49 AM, shapeshifter said:

It was like gratuitous sex and violence lite for preteens. BTW, I was one of the few girls who prefered Napoleon Solo.

Wow, that's like preferring Kirk to Spock!  And of course it was SEX for one preteen, not that I'm thinking of anyone in particular.....

Signed,  Mrs. Future Ilya Kuryakin 1964 (age 8)

• Love 7

I guess they have buy the shows in blocs, but I 've heard that some shows aren't offered because very few episodes exist.
For many shows, I'd just like to see one or two.  As we mentioned earlier, you don't necessarily want to watch a season of Our Miss Brooks, but it would be nice if you could see a different old show every night.
I'm thinking of My Friend Irma, (Marie Wilson; I Married Joan, (Joan Davis and Jim Backus); Private Secretary, Ann Sothern.
Topper might be one I could watch a season of.
More recently, I'd think they'd show One Day at a Time.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

More recently, I'd think they'd show One Day at a Time.

ODAAT has been running on AntennaTv since last year. Currently at 2-3 PM ET.

Edited by opus
  • Love 2