Type keyword(s) to search

S16 Fashion Week Discussion

• Start Topic

On 10/27/2017 at 3:07 PM, sarasue59 said:

I don't know, the collection that looks like Ayana has Myesha (hope that's the right spelling).  She has been the model with the golden touch lately.  If Brandon doesn't win with Liris, then Ayana will win with Myesha.

Meisha won six challenges and has a mutual love relationship with Kentaro so something happened there.  Similarly, Christina has won once with Brandon and probably would have won in the last episode as well.  He worked with Liris in the first challenge but did not win with her.  And she clearly would been the Kenya selection.  I think Kentaro/Meisha, Kenya/Liris, Brandon/Christina pairings were designer/muse and I would have liked to see them continue in the finale.  Ayana got Meisha, Brandon got Liris and Kenya got Christina which makes me uncomfortable for Kentaro.

Interesting fact:  Of the remaining five models, only Meisha and Christina have been the winning models of challenges.

Edited by gingerormaryann
  • Love 1
On 10/7/2017 at 8:14 PM, sleepyjean said:

Margarita?

Margarita1.JPG.902218a25ef2e2ac010c4193276df56b.JPGMargarita2.JPG.e42dd630ea0a0931b748ad3796312ade.JPGMargarita3.JPG.dae96ba083eae5b4f6ab4418227a94e3.JPGMargarita4.JPG.7db68b688547cca7d331c8469357fe8d.JPGMargarita5.JPG.5a2b73b0e0d091748b66acb3e0cfdc7e.JPGMargarita6.JPG.6c79d67a76a134e6992b060eb6a190a9.JPGMargarita7.JPG.e5b2444eb02209edd7ad376156fe5349.JPGMargarita8.JPG.c409ec9f97d3116c1e36dc74f18a7200.JPGMargarita9.JPG.afb1c8eb454e6188f4e4a9adf2050765.JPGMargarita10.JPG.c83e27b20ba974fc7f1cc5b70c26e323.JPG

Assuming this is Margarita (which seems right), do the judges go for "we understand her point of view now" or "we question her taste level" or both?  I actually like the fish dresses a lot but the rest...no.

When I look at the designs I try to picture them on a red carpet or a photo call or in a film rather than, “would I wear that?” I mean, Michael Kors as a judge never looked at a garment from the, “I would or would’t wear that” standpoint. The clothes as shown on the runway aren’t styled or put together for average every day wear (unless that is the particular challenge.) 

So, looking at these designs, I’m asking myself what star would wear them on the red carpet and to what venue would they be worn and how good would they look. Other than the striped jumpsuit (?), second row first photo, and the navy blue dress, third row third photo, I got nothing. Some of these could be turned into ready to wear pieces like the first dress and the floaty black skirt, but I don’t see this line going anywhere. 

FYI, when doing some red carpet imaginings, I try to use a range of women/body types, Cate Blanchett, Leslie Jones, Zendaya, Gwendoline Christie, Julianne Moore, Helen Mirren, Kristen Stewart, and Lupita are my visual go-to actresses. Not every outfit will work for every woman, but if I can’t picture one of those ladies looking good in the outfit, it probably isn’t working.

Edited by BlackberryJam
Red carpet is different from runway styling.
  • Love 2

Whoever did the collection with all the color and prints and fish showed everyone else up. I have a hard time believing this is Margarita even though some of the construction is like hers, because she's shown no real facility for prints. Only Batani has shown that kind of skill with prints, and if this is hers, I want to strangle her for not showing stuff like this during the season.

What were Brandon and Ayana thinking? Their collections are so depressing.  I've found Brandon's architectural approach interesting at times, but I never understood his love of washed out looking colors. I think he might be colorblind. 1990 hospital wallpaper pastels are just unforgivable.

Why do so many decent designers choke once they are allowed to go home and make a collection? Are they overwhelmed by how much they have to do in so little time? Are they distracted by day to day life? Does the pressure cooker environment inspire them in ways they can't replicate once they are left to their own devices? Year after year, so many of the designers who do their best work on the show just lose sight of their vision by the time fashion week comes around.

Okay, now that colorful collection is looking more and more like Batani's.

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 2.11.15 PM.png

Edited by 7-Zark-7
3 hours ago, 7-Zark-7 said:

Why do so many decent designers choke once they are allowed to go home and make a collection?

I think a lot of these designers do better with parameters and instructions. Giving them such freedom to do whatever they want seems to really trip some of them up. 

• Love 2
On 10/7/2017 at 9:20 PM, sleepyjean said:

The only ones left at this point in the competition are Amy, Michael, and Claire. This has to be Claire. Which pretty much tells us what happened with the "cheating" issue.

CollectionA-1.JPG.24fd9e78b4d7b058f1ac66fc3090706c.JPGCollectionA-2.JPG.aea74bf2c29b35a44b844e2e9714aac3.JPGCollectionA-3.JPG.3eaf2f77c86ba0d7f43f3e45e89a4b24.JPGCollectionA-4.JPG.552ab54ed6f883ec953eea8a2f37947d.JPGCollectionA-5.JPG.fd697f7d656459edf6b698b5b494dbe3.JPGCollectionA-6.JPG.2c9d3b168f11a4220c4bd967913f5631.JPGCollectionA-7.JPG.64051448a08f77fbafe395699dedab49.JPGCollectionA-8.JPG.e41859aa523b0e8d4a345cb0b67a1156.JPGCollectionA-9.JPG.799a7b7c2f1a1f171273cb4ffb357fab.JPGCollectionA-10.JPG.04cb067b0f5e829c8c47091d35414596.JPG

I gotta be honest...I get secondhand embarrassment every time I look at this series of photos. There are a few outfits that are okay but, for the most part, I think they're just plain awful. 

• Love 4

Rereader 2, thank you for that longer video.  I'm old.  and this time I tried to judge them as to which ones I would have tried to copy when I was in my 20s.  I've pretty much always had cats, and they would have followed Brandon's models down the runway until the models each had a cat or two hanging onto his dangly straps.  Would have made great photographs.  They could have said "No kitty cats were harmed in the making of this video."

Kenya is the one I'd be more likely to copy in my current GreatAunt of the Bride years (which Michael never even considered in his looking down on Mother of the Bride critiques.)

• Love 4

After watching the longer video (thank you rereader 2) I like the last 2 collections.  I too don't really like Brandons prints, however, his collection and the last one are a lot better imo than the others.  I think the first two collections in that video are hideous. 

Edited by Jwd
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I really want to know who designed the nerd outfit in the first collection. (Denim flood pants, anklets and high heels)

Michael. Except for rare instances, the collections are always the last 6 contestants. Who ever didn't make it into the finale are the decoys. This time, Kenya and Michael. In season 9, they really screwed up the timing of the show and had to have the final 9 contestants show at fashion week. There were some fantastic decoys that season.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, rereader2 said:

A longer video:

Interesting to note that Cha Cha, Smantha and others who left very early on, are showing.  Or did they just join the parade but didn't show anything?   Shawn was not there which is no surprise.  

4 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Interesting to note that Cha Cha, Smantha and others who left very early on, are showing.  Or did they just join the parade but didn't show anything?   Shawn was not there which is no surprise.  

The early-outs didn't show - they just joined the parade.  I saw another view of the parade, and Shawn was there with Claire at the end - and Claire was on crutches.  

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

The early-outs didn't show - they just joined the parade.  I saw another view of the parade, and Shawn was there with Claire at the end - and Claire was on crutches.  

Thanks.  I am surprised they allowed Claire to be there given she left in disgrace.  

1 minute ago, wings707 said:

Thanks.  I am surprised they allowed Claire to be there given she left in disgrace.  

I agree.  But then Aaron should have been banned for HIS outfit with the see-through shorts and tighty-whities during judging on one of the episodes.  LOL.

I thought Meisha looked beautiful in her gown. I think all the contestants were in the parade so no one knew who had what collection. Although I'm not sure how that works with the introductory speech they give before showing their collection.  Also I think Claire was in there because the episode where she was kicked out was aired after Fashion Week, so people would have wondered what happened if she wasn't there. I wondered if she broke her ankle by tripping over a tape measure.

• Love 5

The clothes looked much different up close on the show than they did on the runway. Some of Ayana’s clothes in particular, looked much more interesting to me up close than from when they were far away and gray. Also, Kentaro’s peach outfit with the leather tank top was absolutely beautiful on the show. Conversely, Margaritsa’s prints (Who knew she did print on print on print?) looked amazing on the runway, but kind of overwhelming when zoomed in on.

Maybe it's because they had to walk so close to one another, but some of the models in the clips above are horrible walkers. Some looked dumpy.

The model walking in Kenya's black dress looked like she was really struggling, but more due to a bad fit and too tight skirt. 

Kentaro had some beautiful, artistic designs, but I don't think he won.