Type keyword(s) to search

Star Trek: Voyager - General Discussion

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, KatWay said:

also Janeway and Chakotay have great chemistry and so much storyline potential and then the writers get him with Seven out of nowhere. Why is Star Trek so bad at writing romance. Literally who asked for this.

I was glad Janeway and Chakotay kept things mostly professional, and that aside from the occasional episode, the show was not that concerned with Janeway's love life.  And as a general principle, Janeway could do better than Chakotay.  

• Love 1
23 hours ago, KatWay said:

I will say that it feels like it just never lives up to its potentially far more interesting premise. Stranded in the Delta Quadrant, with a crew of ex-terrorists and there's really SO LITTLE conflict?? I didn't need it to be a gritty survival drama or super dark, but it would have benefited more from a DS9 approach than the TNG one they were aiming for. Some serialised storytelling - they practically blow up Voyager in a bunch of eps, in the middle of nowhere and yet the ship is mysteriously back to pristine condition the next ep, there's almost never any "crap we need those parts and have no way of getting them" conundrums. And the maquis and starfleet are essentially best buds after ep 3, all the characters lose their edge. I know Paris and B'Elanna are a loved pairing but I found them surprisingly boring together for a half Klingon ex-maquis and a former prisoner rebel.

Yeah. You look at BSG, that's how Voyager could have been. Though maybe not quite that grim. I agree that the tone of Dominion War-era DS9 would have been the sweet spot.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I was glad Janeway and Chakotay kept things mostly professional, and that aside from the occasional episode, the show was not that concerned with Janeway's love life.  And as a general principle, Janeway could do better than Chakotay.  

I mean if they hadn't gone with Chakotay/Seven apropos of nothing, the Janeway/Chakotay chemistry and bond would still have been a plausible "maybe when they're not stuck on a ship in the Delta quadrant anymore" idea. Chakotay was really only interesting in scenes with Janeway.

To me it's just another baffling instance of Star Trek writers writing bad romance. Romantic plots have always been the weak point of the franchise tbh, with a few exceptions sprinkled in.

• Love 3

I'm finished with the show and well, it's fine if somewhat mediocre for the most part. Season 7 was kind of tedious to get through. Seven did kind of eat the show at some points where it felt like every second episode was about her. Harry Kim had some good eps in the first half of the show and then was stuck in doomed romance plot of the week episodes when he got any screentime at all. Tuvok...was there. Chakotay...was there. It was kind of the Janeway/Seven/Doctor show. Wayyyy too much time travel - especially once they started doing time travel as "we didn't like how this turned out so we'll just change it" plots. It kind of lowers the stakes of...everything...if you think about the fact that they can just go back in time and change it. Cause they did that. A lot. Also I guess some character deaths warrant time travel fix-its and others...don't? Sorry Joe Carey. The whole finale was like...the world is fine, life is fine and Janeway decides eh fuck it, I'll go and mess with everyone's lives cause I feel bad about Seven, Chakotay and Tuvok. Who's to say that due to her machinations other people won't die now? that felt very convoluted to me.

still it's a pity they didn't go with a darker direction. The whole premise needs a darker direction. Maquis vs Starfleet, Alpha vs Delta quadrant. You could still do Federation optimism and morality but with stakes and some actual uphill battles. When they ran into that other ship with the gone crazy crew I was like, see this might have been more interesting to follow lol.

• Love 1

It maybe an opinion of one but I am actually really glad they didn't keep the Maquis vs starfleet. In the show the characters realize that their main goal is exactly the same, to get home. They may disagree how to do this but in the end them getting along will lead them home. What the show did miss was that it should have been more serial then it was. Like if something is damaged on the ship, they can't just have it magically better the next episode. 

• Love 3
On 12/22/2015 at 6:34 PM, Miss Dee said:

I always thought it was stupid that the writers didn't go for the Janeway/Chakotay romance near the end of the series. Not because I shipped them all that hard, but because it was the ONE Star Trek series where such a plot line could be explored with s

I'm pretty convinced the writers didn't go there because they didn't want the one female captain/series lead in the franchise be the one who had a big romance storyline. But DAMMIT that was a waste of a good plot that literally could not have been done on any other series.

These two actually had some on screen chemistry, while Chakotay and Seven did not. I see your point of diminishing the female.

Although, in the episode Resolutions, where they are both on that planet together, Janeway inexplicably turns into a whiny, scared baby girl. ..I could never figure out that writing.

• Love 1

The people behind the DS9 documentary are making a Voyager one. It sounds like they got some footage, however unfortunately were shut down due to Covid. I'm looking forward to seeing this when it is finished. I loved the DS9 one, so this should be good too.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I've just started (re)watching Voyager. Just as I did with DS9, I had watched the first two seasons, but lost touch with the show after that. So I'm essentially watching it all the way through for the first time. I'm midway through season 2 and enjoying it.

• Love 5

Just watched "Distant Origins" (S3 E23), and I found this episode absolutely gripping. The performances (especially from the guest actors) were outstanding. For an episode dealing in such big themes, it's not very showy; it's actually very character-driven, which gets me every time.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Just watched "Distant Origins" (S3 E23), and I found this episode absolutely gripping. The performances (especially from the guest actors) were outstanding. For an episode dealing in such big themes, it's not very showy; it's actually very character-driven, which gets me every time.

I just watched this one today. I've been doing a very random Voyager binge watch on Netflix. I don't think I've really seen it more than one random ep here and there since I was a kid and it came on before Buffy in the UK. Sue me, it's addictive despite it's flaws. 

I really enjoyed the premise of aliens grappling with the fact that they came from Earth and how that knocks their religious, cultural and political beliefs on their axis. I liked the bit about "updated doctrines" which clearly happened here on Earth in the uneasy relationship between scientific discovery and religion along with everything else.

I thought the Voth reminded me a bit of Doctor Who's Silurians. 

It's also one without an easy ending.

In general whilst there is potential for more Starfleet vs Maquis way of getting home I'm not altogether sorry that there wasn't much. SGU had way too much petty squabbling about who controlled Destiny and it made *everyone* unlikable, pretty and most of all boring to me. 

Chakotay was very, very chill about Tuvok writing a training program and (logically) pegging him as the one that would start a coup and the whole crew thought it was a great game. Good ep but zero people felt any weirdness about the scenario that could have played out. 

• Love 2

I am watching the episode "Lifesigns". That's the one where the Doctor becomes involved with a Vidian patient. At one point she mentions that in her society social gatherings are strictly controlled for reasons of public health. Ack😬

I am watching the episode "Lifesigns". That's the one where the Doctor becomes involved with a Vidian patient. At one point she mentions that in her society social gatherings are strictly controlled for reasons of public health. Ack😬

Watched that episode a few months ago, and yeah it hits a little too close to home.

"Bride of Chaotica!" was on tonight.  Everyone gives Tom a hard time over his Captain Proton program.  I guess it would have been much better if the aliens stumbled into Janeway's gothic romance novel, with a crazy maid and creepy children tryin to kill them or Neelix's Talaxian resort program where everyone is barely clothed and coming on to them.   Like geez, lighten up snobs.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I was doing a recent rewatch of some Seven of Nine episodes, and realized I'd never even seen them before. I was a casual Voyager viewer back in the day and found the show okay at best.

The episodes that stuck out to me were the Unimatrix Zero Parts 1 and 2 because...well, holy ****, Janeway voluntarily allows herself and BLanna and Tuvok to be assimilated! Whaaaa...!?!?

Sure, Jean-Luc survived...but he'd only been Borg for what...a day? Maybe two? Seven survived but had to live with Borg implants permanently. My point is having your body overrun with implants and Borg tech is not a simple thing to reverse. And yet there the three of them were, basically treating assimilation like a day of dress-up to gain access to the main computer thingy.

How are we supposed to swallow that Janeway, in order to help Borg get some of their individuality back (which may or may not have any substantial effect on the collective, beyond getting those free-thinking drones killed by the Queen), would willingly get assimilated...complete with a shaved head and tubes going into her and all that jazz?

I had to rewind to try and figure out how on earth they intended to survive the experience. Only then did I catch that the doctor had injected them with some kind of "cognitive suppressant" or something which, presumably, would filter out the Queen's commands? Or something?

1) the Borg Queen knew Janeway by this point, and would have taken a personal interest in her assimilation. There's no way she wouldn't have noticed that Janeway was retaining her ability to think for herself after becoming a drone...if the Queen would have even permitted her to be a drone. She might have made her something special, like some kind of trophy to wave in Voyager's face during their next transmission. But no...apparently Janeway just becomes a regular drone and the Queen seems not to even care.

2) When did this magical serum that prevents your brain from being overtaken by Borg commands become available to the crew of Voyager? I must have missed that huge development. It's basically almost a cure for assimilation!

3) Even if you can undergo the physical change into a drone and block out the commands...your body has still been mutilated and overrun with Borg nanoprobes! Which we have already seen to be fast-acting. So...how on earth can you casually allow yourself to be massacred and then, after a brief stay in sickbay, be perfectly fine again with hair and everything? Wouldn't Janeway have lost some limbs in the process of being converted into a drone? Seems like her entire plan hinged on the Borg essentially leaving their bodies completely alone and just putting some superficial Borg Drone clothes on them and leaving them to operate as usual.

...maybe I'm missing something, but it seemed like the laziest writing ever in an otherwise clever story, about Drones regaining their identity in a dream world they visit during their regeneration cycles.

Then there's the matter of Seven's "boyfriend" whom she's never technically met. I actually kinda liked the guy. Certainly liked him better than Chakotay, who had no business becoming Seven's boyfriend later on that season. If they'd set up this grand "he's on the other side of the cosmos, but he loves you!" tease...why not bring that back into play?

Finally, where the heck were the Borg Kids during this adventure? They were there in the episode about the Ghost on Deck Ten or whatever (the electrical gas cloud that tries to kill everyone and take over the ship episode). The story didn't really need them in it, but it did seem glaring that all this contact with the Borg had no effect on the recently-escaped Borg Kids, who should have been rightly terrified by what Janeway and Seven were risking to help all of Borg-dom.

This thread seems pretty dead so I'm not expecting any immediate response/thoughts to these inquiries, but I figured I'd post them anyway :)

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 12/12/2020 at 10:15 AM, Hawk said:

These two actually had some on screen chemistry, while Chakotay and Seven did not. I see your point of diminishing the female.

Although, in the episode Resolutions, where they are both on that planet together, Janeway inexplicably turns into a whiny, scared baby girl. ..I could never figure out that writing.

I noticed in the 100th episode, Janeway and Chakotay sharing dinner in her quarters under the guise of "we're going to celebrate our last night in the Delta Quadrant as the two top officers!" had a distinctly flirty vibe. I couldn't quite tell if Kate was maybe playing it that way, or the script was, but it seemed like a pretext for intimate time.

I'm glad they didn't hook up because of the optics of it...but I kind of wish they'd killed him off or something a few episodes before the end of the series and skipped his "romance" with Seven. He would have been more interesting possibly in death, and raised the stakes near the end somewhat.

• Like 1

The thing for me with Seven was that I didn't like any of the Borg centric storylines usually  I skip those in rewatching. But I have to say, they may have brought Jeri Ryan in as "eye candy" for male viewers but man she could act!   That episode where she is channeling all those different people that had been assimilated?  Wow.  

• Like 2

I liked the character of Seven since it gave us more insight into the Borg.  There were a few lines here and there during the time she was on the show where we got some history about how long they’ve been around.  I thought she was a better character overall than Kes, who I had enough of mostly due to that squicky relationship with Neelix.  

Something I would have enjoyed seeing was a story on how the Borg originated - supposedly it was a storyline that was planned for Enterprise but the show was cancelled before that.  I’ve always imagined it was someone’s experiment gone horribly wrong.  

• Like 6
47 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

The thing for me with Seven was that I didn't like any of the Borg centric storylines usually  I skip those in rewatching. But I have to say, they may have brought Jeri Ryan in as "eye candy" for male viewers but man she could act!   That episode where she is channeling all those different people that had been assimilated?  Wow.  

Same. I didn't care a lot of the personal Borg centric lines (the borg cyberworld) either but I loved watching Jeri Ryan to act. She was more interesting to Kes for me too. I didn't mind the Borg plots as a whole but they went too much into it with Seven there.

I have mixed feelings about the Chakotay/Seven relationship. When I watched the last season for the first time, I was surprised but I didn't hate it.  I never had interest in Chakotay/Janeway so that was not an impediment for me. In retrospect and rewatch it did come out of the blue and very contrived way to end the show.

I liked the Janeway/Seven mentorship relationship a lot. I've since learned that Ryan was basically miserable for the two seasons she was on the show (in fact until she started dating the producer boss) and most of it was due to Mulgrew who has owned up to her behaviour. Really unfortunate. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Athena said:

I've since learned that Ryan was basically miserable for the two seasons

IIRC In an interview she said a lot of it was due to those costumes. The silver one had a corset thing that prevented her from bending. I enjoy seeing her in Picard wearing normal clothes and looking just as beautiful.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, marinw said:

IIRC In an interview she said a lot of it was due to those costumes. The silver one had a corset thing that prevented her from bending. I enjoy seeing her in Picard wearing normal clothes and looking just as beautiful.

Yes, that was a factor too. She had trouble going to the bathroom because of it  but Ryan has also admitted that her working relationship with Mulgrew was difficult at first. Garret Wang corroborated this. This all only came to light in the last few years because Jeri was professional and didn't even name Mulgrew directly when first asked.

It's all in this article including how Mulgrew has admitted she could have behaved better. Since then, it's been reported by other Voyager fans that the two of them now are very close.

The other cast have admitted that it was a really tense set at times because the ratings were not what the suits were expecting and Mulgrew herself felt intense pressure. When they let go of Lien, it made matters worse so they were all feeling the strain. Then Ryan comes on, bumps up the ratings (and the subsequent budget), and Mulgrew felt further that she had not been enough.

I think the tension in their relationship worked itself on screen in a good way because Janeway and Seven did have a lot of issues of trusting each other for awhile. It added to their relationship and Seven's character growth.

• Like 4

Interesting @Athena. The Mother-Daughter vibe between Janeway  and Seven is a testament to the acting chops of Ryan and Mulgrew.

No amount of acting could help the lack of chemistry between Ryan and Robert Beltran. Another thing I enjoy about Picard is that Ryan can enjoy a relationship where there is genuine chemistry between her and Michelle Hurd.

(And yes, I know Picard has issues which we have discussed in the appropriate forum)

OTOH Ryan and Robert Picardo were great together.

• Like 2

I definitely liked the relationship between the Doctor and Seven. I guess in hindsight, what with her being so "young" in many ways emotionally, it wouldn't have been a great look for her to get into a serious love affair with her mentor figure...but I still shipped them. They connected on so many levels, and it was nice in a weird way that she wouldn't be thrown by him being a hologram or him looking older (since shows always emphasize putting pretty-looking people together). There was something so sweet about them bantering and exchanging long looks. The episode where he suddenly decides to leave Voyager to be a celebrity opera singer on a random planet made it was clear Seven deeply loved him.

...I don't know how much I believe that Kate and Jeri are now "very close". I suspect Jeri is just the type to not make something an issue forever. She's opened up about the hell that was shooting the show and had that catharsis and release....and she's smart enough to know that she and Kate will be invited to Conventions together for the rest of their lives and doesn't see the point in holding a grudge openly.

I'm sure deep down inside she'd be fine with never hanging out with Kate again. The woman was the lead of the series and went out of her way to make a new addition feel unwelcome. I can understand how Kate must have felt undermined by the stunt of bringing in a young blonde babe to boost ratings, but it must have become clear in 5 minutes that Jeri was a fantastic actress and deserved some respect. Kate was cruel and made Jeri feel miserable for years. Maybe they laugh and smile a bit now, but Jeri hasn't forgotten.

Where exactly did Kate do a big apology and own up to how horribly she behaved? I haven't seen it. I haven't read it. Please link me if it's out there because I think at most she probably acknowledged that it was tense and that's about it. Anyway, she doesn't seem the type to weep and beg forgiveness. She probably felt justified in her actions.

It's interesting to me how Garrett broke down in tears at a convention just remembering how unpleasant things were between Kate and Jeri. I watched that on YT and it was really telling. I mean, the guy was nearly fired from the show himself (saved only because People Magazine listed him as one of the sexiest stars on TV right around the time of the decision) and yet...what drives him to tears is the memory of how Kate treated Jeri? Yikes. That says it all.

But back to my question LOL - are we really supposed to believe Janeway and her team would volunteer to be assimilated for a few days, not end up brain dead and manage to fly under the Queen's radar?

I just don't buy it but maybe I missed some logic in that episode that explains the circumstances better.

Did anyone else like Seven's drone boyfriend from that Unimatrix two-parter? I thought he had potential. Wonder why they didn't bring him back into the fold.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I definitely liked the relationship between the Doctor and Seven. I guess in hindsight, what with her being so "young" in many ways emotionally, it wouldn't have been a great look for her to get into a serious love affair with her mentor figure...but I still shipped them. They connected on so many levels, and it was nice in a weird way that she wouldn't be thrown by him being a hologram or him looking older (since shows always emphasize putting pretty-looking people together). There was something so sweet about them bantering and exchanging long looks. The episode where he suddenly decides to leave Voyager to be a celebrity opera singer on a random planet made it was clear Seven deeply loved him.

I loved their mentor/fatherly relationship they had going for most of it but I haaaaaated the romantic subtext. First of all, pairing up a middle-aged or weird-looking guy with a sexy girl is hardly groundbreaking for scifi, in fact it's pretty much the norm, see also Neelix and Kes, while you practically never see it the other way around, and second, it was unnecessary to have the entire male crew lusting after Seven like the viewers needed to be told she was there to be the space babe. Surely at least that relationship could have stayed entirely platonic. But no.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, KatWay said:

Surely at least that relationship could have stayed entirely platonic. But no.

The Doctor taking it opon himself to design Seven's outfits seemed wierd. I know the Silver Catsuit was some sort of body-size bandage, but he why was designing dresses for date night? There wasn't anyone else on the ship who could do that? Yes, Seven looks great in anything, but still.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 2
On 1/20/2023 at 3:38 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

That episode where she is channeling all those different people that had been assimilated?  Wow.  

When a statuesque blonde woman is immediately identifiable as a Ferengi even without dialog, she's doing something very right.

They set out to hire a set of boobs, and got a really great actress attached to them.

• Like 6
On 1/21/2023 at 1:28 PM, DisneyBoy said:

I just don't buy it but maybe I missed some logic in that episode that explains the circumstances better.

This is where I have always had issues with the Borg episodes.  First off I just don't like them for the most part but also they just make no sense to me other than them being frightening as hell.

On 1/22/2023 at 3:42 AM, KatWay said:

First of all, pairing up a middle-aged or weird-looking guy with a sexy girl is hardly groundbreaking for scifi, in fact it's pretty much the norm, see also Neelix and Kes,

See Also: Picard and Kamala in "The Perfect Mate". The cavaet being that Patrick Stweart demonstrates that "weird looking"and "sexy AF" are not mutally exclusive.

Rewatched a few more episodes randomly.

The first was one I still vaguely remembered about the Doctor and another hologram (played by Andy Dick) having to improvise their way through a dangerous mission on another ship. The script was good and I enjoyed some of their exchanges just as much as I thought I would from my memory of watching the show. Example:

Dr: Stop breathing down my neck!

AD: It isn't even real!

Dr: Neither is your breath! Stop doing it anyway!

😄

It's a shame what Andy Dick has done to his life since.

I couldn't help but notice that with basically seconds to come to a decision, Janeway all but orders the Dr off the ship on a mission he could very well never return from and sends him magically to the Alpha Quadrant, leaving the ship without it's only medical professional...even though he was the back-up to replace the real Doctor who already died! That's...not a great situation to leave your crew in...

...but then, in that other episode where he becomes an opera diva/celebrity and asks to resign so he can live on some random planet with his new fans and a woman who he thinks loves him, she hammers it into him, with great intensity, that he'd be leaving the crew in dire straights by departing.

I know these episodes were written months/years apart and consistency can't always be maintained, but it struck me as really bizarre that in this earlier episode she's all "Quick! Go get to other side of the universe! I'll risk never seeing you again if it means we can get some messages to Starfleet, even though they can't save us! Take one for the team!" and in another episode she's all "Who do you think you are, abandoning us just to be happy?! We could never survive without you! Think of our needs!"

I realize the Doctor isn't a "real" person, but he pretty much is, based on how the show writes for him, and as such, I'd point out that his worth and safety shouldn't be determined solely by the whims of the Captain on any particular day. They seem to be.

It worked out well that he was able to make contact with Starfleet (was that episode the only instance of it happening before they finally arrive home in the finale? I can't recall) but it still struck me as odd. Good episode otherwise.

...then, I watched Retrospect. Holy hell, you guys...yikes.

So Seven gets triggered by this one guy who is a new character (?) providing trade opportunities, and then, after she attacks him for getting into her personal space and being aggressive, the Doctor suggests hypnosis and memory reconstruction therapy, which he knows almost nothing about, to determine the source of her hostility towards this guy. The Doctor gently urges her to revisit her memories, doesn't shape them in any specific way, just lets her talk, and from that we get the accusation that the Trade Guy drugged and stole nanoprobes from Seven in his lab.

...but the episode never makes it clear whether this actually did or didn't happen. Instead, it shifts focus to the Doctor strangely riling up Seven to want justice and a pound of flesh, as the Trade Guy insists he's innocent, until he finally runs away and gets himself killed stupidly, leaving everyone feeling guilty because, whoopsie, turns out Seven's account of the assault might not have been true. Or something.

I found an article reviewing this episode and saying it was written in response to "satanic panic" stories of the 90s, which I knew nothing about, and I'm wondering: does that seem accurate to any of you guys? I thought it was purely about medical assault or sexual assault...and if it is, wow is it skewed in favor of having the accused seem like the ultimate victim.

I figured there would be a twist and the story would turn out differently than what Seven initially recounted, but it wasn't the Doctor's inept therapeutic approach that lead things astray, which is how I figured the story would go, based on the set-up. That this would be a story about the dangers of recovering "repressed" memories...for some reason. But nope. His methods weren't really singled out as the issue, even though he offers to delete elements of his program (a kind of self-lobotomy!) as penance for hurting poor mister Trade Guy.

And crucially, Seven's story was never disproved at all. Sure, they say her injuries are quite possibly caused by a gun discharge, the way Trade Guy claimed they were, but it's never made clear why then she has memories of him and an assistant violating her.

It just seemed like they wanted to write a whole episode about how sad it is to be accused of something and how it can ruin your life, which...MUST have been obviously a weird message to put out there? Right? I can't imagine the writers in the 90s were unaware of how strange it would be to slant the episode so that more sympathy is aimed towards the possible "rapist" character than to the victim, who's pain and confusion is never resolved in the episode...right?

Were we meant to believe Seven just didn't like the guy, conflated their time in his lab and the rifle accident with her time getting assimilated...and...something? That doesn't track at all. She distinctly remembered her nanoprobes being injected into another person in the lab. That probably wouldn't have happened when she was a drone...so where did these "memories" come from?

It's like the real message here regarding her is "damaged people will point fingers in all directions - watch out!" because Seven is recovering from intense trauma. It's so tone-deaf and strange to me.

Does anyone else remember this episode? I never saw it when it first aired, but I'd be curious to hear what people thought about it then and now.

Edited by DisneyBoy

"Message in a Bottle" is one of the better episodes.   I like Seven electrocuting the Hirogen when he refuses to listen to them and the Prometheus was an interesting concept.   It does bear a bit of a resemblance to the Lost in Space episode where Will Robinson is sent back to Earth and has to try and convince everyone the Jupiter 2 survived.

As I recall, in Retrospect they made it fairly clear that Grady Fletcher didn't assault Seven and that the Doctor's suggestive treatments caused her to construct basically fictional memories from what little she could remember.   To me it was basically a tale about being presumptive and about the malleability of human memory.   Ultimately though I think was just to give the Doctor and Seven something to be angsty about.   I've never heard about it having anything to do with satanic issues.

• Like 2

I Loved this series but the one thing that was the worst part was Barclay and Deanna Troy on the show.  Anything and everything with them ruined it all.  You brought her on to Star Trek Enterprise.  Must you bring her on all the shows?.  And Barclay.  Must Barclay be in this show???

• Like 1
18 hours ago, MyMaui said:

I Loved this series but the one thing that was the worst part was Barclay and Deanna Troy on the show.  Anything and everything with them ruined it all.  You brought her on to Star Trek Enterprise.  Must you bring her on all the shows?.  And Barclay.  Must Barclay be in this show???

I agree.  This was in the (I think) last season - usually when shows do this it’s to get people to watch the new show.  Voyager was established by then.  They might have done this to give the main cast a break.  Then Barclay names his cat Neelix, after the most annoying character on the show.  

I think she’s been on Star Trek:Picard as well.  I haven’t watched it so I don’t know if her appearance makes sense story wise.  

I love Voyager as well.  

On 1/28/2023 at 11:59 PM, DisneyBoy said:

Does anyone else remember this episode? I never saw it when it first aired, but I'd be curious to hear what people thought about it then and now.

Having just slogged my way through all 7 seasons for the first time, I remember this episode well. Yes, it's very cringe-y in the 21st century. Worst of all, Trade Guy was that nice, inoffensive Grady - Jessica Fletcher's nephew. (He was in the First Contact and Insurrection movies, too.)

Janeway was written to be the most inconsistent starship captain EVER and I'm not sure the writers even noticed that or cared, if they did notice.

I just discovered SF Debris, who has been reviewing Voyager and other Trek series for years, and I've been binging his videos.  He's particularly tough on Voyager and Janeway, and even does voiceovers as "Psycho Janeway," which are hilarious, as he highlights how inconsistent the character is (as noted by @Prevailing Wind above).

https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/v801.php

(Some of his videos are available on YouTube, others only on his website.)

I almost enjoy these snarky reviews more than the shows themselves, and it saves me from having to rewatch the episodes. 

I've got Voyager on while I'm puttering. I just happened to look up. The doctor is off-screen, communicating with Janeway on the bridge. Closed Captioning labels his dialogue as coming from "Zimmerman."  LOL.  That's the second time today I saw that - closed captioning knows The Doctor as Zimmerman.

• Useful 1