Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Under The Tent

• Start Topic

On 12/8/2021 at 5:43 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

If we were going off credentials, it would seem that Prue has it over Paul.  I can see where his popularity could advance, based on his looks/presence etc.  I like them both, but would agree that a better judge chemistry has to be out there somewhere.  When push comes to shove, I believe that Prue would lose out, Dame or no Dame

They had the GBBO Christmas Masterclass on PBS this past weekend, and watching Paul and Mary bake together was positively delightful. Mary was clever and playful, while Paul was like her mischievous little brother, who got serious when it was his turn to bake.  (Not quite a mother/son relationship).  Up till then I really hadn't thought much about Paul and Prue, but that made it obvious how disconnected they are from one another. 

• Love 6

I am watching the Netflix Christmas bake off with Rosie, Ruby, James, and Jamie.  Tom is subbing for Noel and is a delight!  Matt and he play off each other very nicely, and watching him chow down on James’ bake while Paul and Pru watch in disbelief is priceless.

• Love 3

Finished a day long marathon of the holiday bake off shows.  Great to see some of the old favorites back and helped to celebrate the season at a time when large get togethers are not a safe option. 

Their baking knowledge is so impressive to me.  I still don't know the specfics in the various types of meringue nor do would I know a short crust vs other crusts if my life depended on it.  They need a Bake Off encyclopedia to help us out plus a special section for all of the bizarre technicals they dredge up from all over the world.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Finished a day long marathon of the holiday bake off shows.  Great to see some of the old favorites back and helped to celebrate the season at a time when large get togethers are not a safe option. 

Their baking knowledge is so impressive to me.  I still don't know the specfics in the various types of meringue nor do would I know a short crust vs other crusts if my life depended on it.  They need a Bake Off encyclopedia to help us out plus a special section for all of the bizarre technicals they dredge up from all over the world.

Shortcrust pastry is your basic pie dough. 

French meringue: sugar beaten into egg whites

Italian meringue: hot sugar syrup beaten into egg whites

Swiss meringue: egg whites and sugar whisked to heat over a water bath, then beaten

Edited by caitmcg
Because yo and to are not interchangeable.
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

So through my wife, I gradually have become a big GBBO fan. Watching back through a favorite season (Rahul was our favorite contestant of all-time), I recalled a particular Noel Fielding scene that I dearly love. It's one where a contestant (I can't remember who) has a big disaster or something doesn't turn out right, and is very upset over it. Like he often does, Noel comes over to try and cheer up the person. But this one time, the reason that I most enjoy it is because during much of the scene, Noel is just silently empathizing rather than trying to chat the contestant out of a funk. I found it very heartwarming.

Perhaps that description could apply more than once, but does anyone have suggestions on which episode I might be thinking of? 

Thanks for any help.

-David Ziegler

• Love 1

The Roku Channel appears to be airing the actual seasons 1 & 2 that have not been aired in the US before. The original  Air date from season 1, episode 1 is listed as August 17, 2010.  They seem to have the first 7 seasons available.  I am very excited.  Absurdly so, in fact.

• Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 6
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

The Roku Channel appears to be airing the actual seasons 1 & 2 that have not been aired in the US before. The original  Air date from season 1, episode 1 is listed as August 17, 2010.  They seem to have the first 7 seasons available.  I am very excited.  Absurdly so, in fact.

Thank you for this! I’m excited to see those first two seasons as well. Watched S1E1 today and was glad to know the Sue and Mel’s original history sections were still included. 

• Love 1

Really interesting catching up with season 1, having never seen it before here in the US. I came to GBBO in the 5th season (i think) and there's so much familiar in season 1, yet many things that were certainly not developed yet. A lot of music that has stayed with the show the entire series, yet also some that got dropped pretty early. Also, you could tell that even during the first season, they were starting to refine the structure of the show from week to week. Most surprising? Paul was actually the first one to utter the words "soggy bottom."

• Love 3
On 9/12/2022 at 8:41 PM, Mittengirl said:

Roku Channel must have just added GBBO - they have also added the Great Celebrity Baking Show (Seasons 1 - 10) which I do not think they had listed on Sunday.  

This is making me so happy right now since Netflix only has the Noel and Matt episodes now. Just over the weekend I was looking for the others and sad that no streamer had them. I've never seen the original two seasons. 

• Love 1
On 9/11/2022 at 10:27 PM, Mittengirl said:

Seriously thank you for this. I don't have a Roku but I signed up for a free account and am watching the never seen by me seasons 1 and 2 on my laptop. It's bonkers how different it is. Wonderful. Thanks again!

• Love 2
On 9/11/2022 at 10:27 PM, Mittengirl said:

Thanks for this heads up! I saw the first couple seasons when they were easier to ... obtain ... but it's been years since. I just re-watched the first series. It is very fun to look back at those 2010s production values and styling choices, and to compare how much of a glow up everybody had as soon as the show really started taking off.  I'm surprised by how few of the contestants I remembered apart from the winner, meanwhile I recalled pretty much all of the little detours, especially the pudding and pie making.  And I was very much not surprised by how much I preferred those early challenges. With the new series premiering, it did not escape me that the very first showstopper challenge was to make a chocolate "celebration" cake, and this year they were ask to build a 3D cake house.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

I am watching Season 1 Episode 1 of Celebrity Baking Show (at least as labeled by Roku) and someone made flapjacks for a traybake.  Does anyone have any idea what a U.S. equivalent would be?

I think they’re like granola bars. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I am watching Season 1 Episode 1 of Celebrity Baking Show (at least as labeled by Roku) and someone made flapjacks for a traybake.  Does anyone have any idea what a U.S. equivalent would be?

2 hours ago, MagicEyes said:

I think they’re like granola bars. 

Sorta. They are simpler, a lot denser, and crunchier. They are also a lot sweeter. A flapjack is notable for its heavy use of both butter and golden syrup. The latter is not really known in American baking. You can't really find an equivalent on this side of the pond.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Athena said:

Sorta. They are simpler, a lot denser, and crunchier. They are also a lot sweeter. A flapjack is notable for its heavy use of both butter and golden syrup. The latter is not really known in American baking. You can't really find an equivalent on this side of the pond.

I find golden syrup (Lyle's) here in the US in the small British section of supermarkets, or sometimes with other syrups in the baking aisle. I use it in place of light corn syrup in caramels, florentine cookies, and so on, because it has a nice caramel-y flavor.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, caitmcg said:

I find golden syrup (Lyle's) here in the US in the small British section of supermarkets, or sometimes with other syrups in the baking aisle. I use it in place of light corn syrup in caramels, florentine cookies, and so on, because it has a nice caramel-y flavor.

Plus these days, if your store doesn't have a British or Irish section, there's a thing called the internet, where I hear you can buy things...

But it's true that traditionally it wasn't sold in the US except in some niche markets to people trying to reproduce UK recipes, so recipes here were never developed to use it.

Edited by Rickster
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, caitmcg said:

4 hours ago, Rickster said:

Plus these days, if your store doesn't have a British or Irish section, there's a thing called the internet, where I hear you can buy things...

But it's true that traditionally it wasn't sold in the US except in some niche markets to people trying to reproduce UK recipes, so recipes here were never developed to use it.

Exactly. It's got a more distinct flavour. Some flapjack recipes use honey or corn syrup as a substitute but it doesn't taste the same. A quintessential flapjack is oats, butter, golden syrup, brown/demerara sugar, and a bit of salt. Chocolate is sometimes added on but anymore than that, it's becoming more a super sweet granola bar. In the UK, flapjacks are widely sold in stores as snacks.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Rickster said:

Molly Yeh (Girl Meets Farm) just used it in her recipe for Moon Cakes on her latest show.  She mentioned that it was hard to find.

Thank you for the heads up on the Roku channel! I'm watching Season 1 which I haven't seen before, and it's so incredibly charming and has everything that appealed to me when I first started watching this show. It's so cool how they moved the tent to different locations. They really emphasized the "British" part of it with that and the history lessons. I love it so much.

• Love 3

I have Lyle’s Golden Syrup in my cupboard.  I bought it to make sticky buns.  Does anyone have a good UK flapjack recipe?

I have been watching the celebrity episodes and have enjoyed them, even though I think I have only recognized one celebrity.  Other than Paul & Mary being a little more free with advice, they just seem like regular episodes, not at all dumbed down or silly.

• Love 1

Interrupting the flapjacks discussion to go back to "new" episodes being shown on the Roku channel...

Would someone be kind enough to post a list of who appeared in the celebrity bake offs each year?  I know if I try and google this I will end up seeing winners and getting spoiled.  Much appreciated, thanks!

• Love 1
On 9/21/2022 at 11:44 AM, chaifan said:

Would someone be kind enough to post a list of who appeared in the celebrity bake offs each year? 

Here is the first couple of seasons of it. I just cobbled this together on my lunch. The last 5 series are all for Stand Up to Cancer. I can compile that one too if you need it:

The Great Sports Relief Bake Off

Series 1: Angela Griffin, James Wong, Joe Swift, Sarah Hadland, Arlene Phillips, Fi Glover, Gus Casely-Hayford, Saira Khan, Alex Deakin, Alex Langlands, Anita Rani, Pearl Lowe

Series 2: Bonnie Wright, Johnny Vaughan, Michael Vaughan, Samantha Bond, Greg Rutherford, Jane Horrocks, Jason Gardiner, Kristy Young, Emma Freud, Jamelia, Michael Ball, Victoria Pendleton, Alistair McGowan, Doon Mackichan, Helen Skelton, Rochelle Humes.

Series 3: David James, Jason Manford, Maddy Hill, Samantha Cameron, Chris Kamara, Ed Balls, Kimberley Walsh, Victoria Coren Mitchell, Geri Homer, Jermaine Jenas, John Simpson, Louise Redknapp, Ade Edmondson, Alison Steadman, Morgana Robinson, Will Young,

The Great Comic Relief Bake Off

Series 1: Jo Brand, Stephen Amos, Lorna Watson, Ingrid Oliver, Warwick Davis, Duncan Bannatyne, Simon Reeve, Andy Akinwolere, Ellie Simmonds, Kirsty Wark, Julia Bradbury, Bob Mortimer, Claudia Winkleman, Ed Byrne, Martha Kearney, Helen Glover

Series 2: Dame Edna Everage, Joanna Lumley, Jennifer Saunders, Lulu, Jonathan Ross, Zoe Sugg, Gok Wan, Abbey Clancy, Sarah Brown, David Mitchell, Michael Sheen, Jameela Jamil, Alexa Chung, Victoria Wood, Chris Moyles, Kayvan Novak

• Like 2
  • Love 3
On 9/21/2022 at 5:44 PM, chaifan said:

Interrupting the flapjacks discussion to go back to "new" episodes being shown on the Roku channel...

Would someone be kind enough to post a list of who appeared in the celebrity bake offs each year?  I know if I try and google this I will end up seeing winners and getting spoiled.  Much appreciated, thanks!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9022462/?ref_=nm_flmg_slf_7

This should have most of them listed

• Thanks 1

I have been enjoying seasons one and two on Roku and the differences between then and now are striking.  One of the things that stands out was the advice given to the bakers as Paul and Mary walked around talking to them.  It was useful advice during the baking, not just at the judging.  And I like the historical segments as well.  Paul didn't seem as mean spirited as he does now.

• Love 3
On 11/5/2022 at 10:21 PM, Cetacean said:

I have been enjoying seasons one and two on Roku and the differences between then and now are striking.  One of the things that stands out was the advice given to the bakers as Paul and Mary walked around talking to them.  It was useful advice during the baking, not just at the judging.  And I like the historical segments as well.  Paul didn't seem as mean spirited as he does now.

I agree. It's like he's trying to build a brand as a mean judge. When Simon Cowell and Gordon Ramsay are "mean," there's a bit of humor to take the edge off, and always something underneath where you can see the humanity. With Gordon especially, I feel like he wants to build great chefs in the way a good teacher would be hard their students. But with Paul, there's no humanity or humor under it, he's just being a jerk.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/5/2022 at 8:21 PM, Cetacean said:

I completely agree--in one episode in season 1/2 he even rolls up his sleeves to show someone how to oil their hands and knead dough.

New Paul likes to walk around and smirk. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Ms.Lulu said:

I completely agree--in one episode in season 1/2 he even rolls up his sleeves to show someone how to oil their hands and knead dough.

New Paul likes to walk around and smirk. 

He's not a producer, and as such, may not have much control over how his role is directed.  I read he makes 4x the money on Channel 4 as he did when on BBC, and may actually not have a choice about things.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

He's not a producer, and as such, may not have much control over how his role is directed.  I read he makes 4x the money on Channel 4 as he did when on BBC, and may actually not have a choice about things.

If they are directing him to be an asshole, he's really earning the big pay.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Suzn said:

If they are directing him to be an asshole, he's really earning the big pay.

I would refer to the aforementioned Gordon Ramsay and say that by comparison, Paul Hollywood is a pussycat, lol.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I would refer to the aforementioned Gordon Ramsay and say that by comparison, Paul Hollywood is a pussycat, lol.

It's the terminal smugness that gets me plus slightly covert nastiness.

Edited by Suzn
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

I was watching the old Season 2 on Roku and there was a cheesecake showstopper challenge. I can't remember the last time they asked for cheesecake and I thought that would be a good one to bring back. Also in that Season 2 in one of the episodes Sue did a time call and said casually "30 minutes until your croques are in my bouche" and I laughed. I thought that was just a simple, funny time call with no scripts or bits, just one throwaway line. I miss that.

• Like 6