Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: A RuPaul Awakening

• Start Topic

That has to be the weirdest mix of celebrities ever on this show.  And what the hell was Nancy doing there?

it seems the obvious choice was RuPaul and Margaret Cho.  And by obvious choice, I mean really the only choices.  The only way she could have picked worse was to select the other guy on her team instead of Al.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

it seems the obvious choice was RuPaul and Margaret Cho.  And by obvious choice, I mean really the only choices.  The only way she could have picked worse was to select the other guy on her team instead of Al.  

I thought she would pick those two also. II was in another room but I could still hear when she making her picks of Al and Nancy...and I was saying out loud before she picked them...Margaret,take Margaret! when she said Nancy I said WHAT?! I knew that contestant would be screwed.

Whoo boy that was the worst clues I think I've seen on this show(I don't remember all the celebs) I was screaming at the tv, YOU SUCK!! and pounding my fist on the arm on my chair. I usually don't get that mad but I was pissed how bad they were. And I kept yelling PASS PASS!   And you shouldn't have to wait three seconds for to come up with a clue for Cher, you immediately say SONNY and....  which Al did but he did hesitate.  Nancy Grace was absolutely use.less! Man, I'm getting pissed all over again.  

Edited by Valny
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Maverick said:

And what the hell was Nancy doing there?

Selling her new book.

Did the civlian misunderstand the rules and pick the 2 worst celebs?  Nancy and Al?  Are you serious?  Margaret was a powerhouse the whole game, and Ru was definitely the top player on his side.  Bad choices civilian!

I would have picked Ru and Margaret too but i kind of get tge rationale for Weird Al. He's been doing parodies on songs and pop culture for decades. He should know a lot of celebrities through their projects pretty easy. I have nothing for Nancy Grace. She was useless the whole time pretty much.

• Love 1

First of all, the two teams were wildly unbalanced. Tyson, Nancy and RuPaul were awful. I felt so bad for the contestant that was stuck with them. The other team was just sailing past them in all the games until the last, and the fact that the guy was able to get so close to catching up during I Love A Charade proves he was the only decent player on his team.

But then . . . that had to be the worst bonus round ever. It wasn't that much of a shock that Nancy Grace sucked at giving clues, but Weird Al had been pretty good up to that point and he just tanked.

I love you guys on the podcast but are you kidding with Scarlett Johansson not being a gimmie? She is black widow in the marvel universe. The biggest female action character in the world and the biggest female franchise in all of marvel right now. It's a super easy one for her. Or Lucy which was huge for some reason. She's the top paid female actor in the world. She was married to Ryan Renolds who is also big. Sorry for the rant but that's just way off. 

Edited by Racj82

I know who Scarlette Johansson is (when I see her, I recognize her and can name her), but I couldn't name a movie she's been in, strangely.  And all your great clues, @Racj82, wouldn't have helped me at all.  I don't know who played the Black Widow, I only have seen some of the Marvel movies. I didn't know she was married to Ryan Reynolds. 

• Love 1

Ditto, aquarian1, I know who SJ is, I know she's a good actress.  Didn't know she played a superhero, never saw any of the Marvel superhero movies, don't know anything about her personal life.  The only thing that popped up when I saw her name was The Horse Whisperer.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Racj82 said:

I love you guys on the podcast but are you kidding with Scarlett Johansson not being a gimmie? She is black widow in the marvel universe. The biggest female action character in the world and the biggest female franchise in all of marvel right now. It's a super easy one for her. Or Lucy which was huge for some reason. She's the top paid female actor in the world. She was married to Ryan Renolds who is also big. Sorry for the rant but that's just way off. 

I feel like that's an overstatement.  Maybe it's not, but if you would ask me who the biggest female action character was right now, it would be Wonder Woman.  She may very well be the top paid female actor (although, I would not know that- I would've guessed Jennifer Lawrence or something). 

I thought this was the biggest dud to end the season on.  The shows can be shown in any order.  I think they should've ended on someone winning.  The clues that Nancy Grace was giving were really awful.  Really, really awful.  I think she was bringing Al down so he couldn't even think anymore either.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

I know who Scarlette Johansson is (when I see her, I recognize her and can name her), but I couldn't name a movie she's been in, strangely.  And all your great clues, @Racj82, wouldn't have helped me at all.  I don't know who played the Black Widow, I only have seen some of the Marvel movies. I didn't know she was married to Ryan Reynolds. 

Totally understood. That would just put you firmly in the minority. My point is that giving clues for Scarlett is really easy. She's one of the biggest actors in one the biggest franchises in the world. There will always be someone who doesn't know who the biggest stars in the world are. They still are the biggest stars in the world with very recognizable credits.

2 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

There will always be someone who doesn't know who the biggest stars in the world are. They still are the biggest stars in the world with very recognizable credits.

I do know who she is, I just don't know about the Marvel and Ryan Reynold's stuff.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

I feel like that's an overstatement.  Maybe it's not, but if you would ask me who the biggest female action character was right now, it would be Wonder Woman.  She may very well be the top paid female actor (although, I would not know that- I would've guessed Jennifer Lawrence or something). 

I thought this was the biggest dud to end the season on.  The shows can be shown in any order.  I think they should've ended on someone winning.  The clues that Nancy Grace was giving were really awful.  Really, really awful.  I think she was bringing Al down so he couldn't even think anymore either.

It's not an over statement. Wonder Woman just happened. Black Widow has been a popular character on screen since at least 2012. Her and Lawrence trade who gets paid more. Scar Jo was last year for sure. But, I may be talking to viewers that don't follow the biggest stars much if Scarlett Johansson is a blind spot. 

All of this is unimportant. My main point is that she's not someone with no breakout credits or ways to be recognized. That's just simply not true. Many people here have problems picking out big current stars but they are still big. A guest on this show should be able to pick them out without too much hassle.

I do know who she is, I just don't know about the Marvel and Ryan Reynold's stuff

I didn't really mean it that way. It's just if you don't know her through marvel or Lucy as I pointed out, I'm not sure how well one knows her or knows her enough to point her out. Her marriage to Reynolds was also huge as far as celebrity marriages go because they were both big at the same time. She has three big things about her pop culture savy people can pull out with ease. Not to be compared with vivica a fox who I need no help in pointing out but the assertion that she never got the big breakout role to clue someone in is apt.

Edited by Racj82

I know her because she is a big movie star, on the cover of magazines, featured on red carpets, presenter at awards shows, etc.  Plus I probably have seen her in some flicks (Horse Whisperer, Black Dahlia, and I actually did see Captain America: Civil War but that clue still wouldn't work for me because I didn't remember she was in it).  Knowing who someone is doesn't mean knowing everything about them.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

All of this is unimportant. My main point is that she's not someone with no breakout credits or ways to be recognized. That's just simply not true. Many people here have problems picking out big current stars but they are still big. A guest on this show should be able to pick them out without too much hassle.

I totally agree with you about this.  Nancy Grace & Weird Al passed on way too many people and the clues they gave were bad.  The contestant very well could've guessed the clues- if they were actually giving any. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

I totally agree with you about this.  Nancy Grace & Weird Al passed on way too many people and the clues they gave were bad.  The contestant very well could've guessed the clues- if they were actually giving any. 

Yeah any clue. If you dropped, she's black widow on marvel, she was the lead in Lucy and she used to be married to Ryan Reynolds, one or all of those things should dial in for the average person or the average person for this show. That covers her biggest role, her biggest leading role and a big part of her personal life. If the civilian can't guess off that, so be it. Everyone has their own pop culture knowledge. But, at least that's the best shot. The civilian got no shot multiple times.

I'll be honest, I delete the episode when I can tell the final round is a bust. It drives me nuts at home.

I love you guys on the podcast but are you kidding with Scarlett Johansson not being a gimmie? She is black widow in the marvel universe. The biggest female action character in the world and the biggest female franchise in all of marvel right now.

I know the name but I couldn't name a movie she's been in to save my life. It really depends on what kind of movies you watch. I'm not a big comic-book movie fan. 

That said . . . if you could have given me "she has the same first name as the Gone with the Wind heroine who lives at Tara and it's a shade of dark red" I'd have been able to guess "Scarlett" and then I'd have gotten "Johansson." There are ways to get there besides naming movies.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3

Is Nancy Grace the worst clue giver we've ever seen on this show, or am I just biased because I hate her with the fire of a thousand suns? (As Tara said, she is a terrible person. She shouldn't be on anyone's TV. I'd like to banish her from public life forever.) But seriously, "short skirts" and "has a son"?!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I'm not sure that I'd call her a "gimmie", but I do think that people on this show should know the lead actors in The Avengers movies because it's been the biggest movie franchise for the past few years. That being said I now can't think of the name of the actor who plays Hulk in them, even though I could name several other movies that he's been in. (I had to look it up: Mark Ruffalo. Grrrr....)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, April Bloodgate said:

I'm not sure that I'd call her a "gimmie", but I do think that people on this show should know the lead actors in The Avengers movies because it's been the biggest movie franchise for the past few years. That being said I now can't think of the name of the actor who plays Hulk in them, even though I could name several other movies that he's been in. (I had to look it up: Mark Ruffalo. Grrrr....)

Yeah, like i was saying, many viewers here don't seem dialed in to a lot of big pop culture topics and stars but as a celebrity to guess on this show? I don't see how it's argued that she doesn't have the name recognition or the roles to pull out. That's all I'm saying. For this show, it should be a easy get for a player. You possibly know about her black widow role without watching a single movie. Especially as a woman because her having to angle for the same money as her peers in marvel. Thats why she is labeled as highest paid female. Also, backlash against marvel Disney for not giving that character her own movie were big general news stories for a while. If you are a civilian I would expect you to know a lot of these blockbuster movie stars. 

I can never track who people know or don't know on here if I'm being honest though. Among my peers (I'm in my mid 30's) and we would all be able to guess her with obvious hints. Man or woman. I know a ton of people don't track comic book movies at all but they could guess her. 

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I know the name but I couldn't name a movie she's been in to save my life. It really depends on what kind of movies you watch. I'm not a big comic-book movie fan. 

That said . . . if you could have given me "she has the same first name as the Gone with the Wind heroine who lives at Tara and it's a shade of dark red" I'd have been able to guess "Scarlett" and then I'd have gotten "Johansson." There are ways to get there besides naming movies.

I know there are other ways but my comment are relation to the podcast where her movie roles were called into question as far notability.

This was a painful episode to end on. 

Weird Al surprised me at the end since I've seen him numerous times on Celeb Name Game and he normally does well, albeit a bit hyper and can get jumbled. He just tanked at the finale (and maybe Nancy threw him too). 

I sadly think I understood where Nancy was going with "red" for Scarlett but that is like 10 year old reference. To a dress she wore once. Ten years ago. 

I would have been furious if the other civilian won since in Charades, friggin Tyson whistled, Jane said "no sounds", they guessed whistle and then got the point. No. Automatic pass. 

Edited by weightyghost

All I can think is that someone as culturally gay as Sean Hayes seems to be should have known better than to let the show he produces put RuPaul and Margaret Cho on separate teams. That's like Sophie's Choice to those of us who were coming out in the 90s.

1 hour ago, weightyghost said:

I sadly think I understood where Nancy was going with "red" for Scarlett but that is like 10 year old reference. To a dress she wore once. Ten years ago. 

I think it was simply that "scarlet" means "red," and Nancy literally did not know any facts about her other than the name. That was a sad showing on her part all around, in that final round (actually, all through). That wasn't surprising, but it was surprising to see Al do so badly there. He's usually more savvy. (I probably would have chosen him too, just expecting him to know something about any given pop-culture person.)

The team on the left was as weak a bunch as they've had. None of them was really good at anything. I felt bad for their civilian, because he probably would have made a good showing, were it not for his "teammates." (Even as it was, he almost staged a comeback single-handedly with I Love a Charade, but they again blew it for him.)

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

I think it was simply that "scarlet" means "red," and Nancy literally did not know any facts about her other than the name.

HA that makes more sense. I was stuck on her hands and I had remembered her gesturing and I thought it was to her clothes but I went back and yeah.. no. Again "her name is another word for red" would help the clue

Good Lord. I was not surprised at all to come to the boards and see so many comments already. They really should have played this episode last week and put on the Tyler Hoechlin, etc. episode from last week on as the finale.  That one was much, much more watchable.  And with a bonus round win as a cherry on top.

During charades, I was starting to get annoyed that the clearly subpar team might win based on having an inherently more physical category (which I thought was easier to act out in general). It wasn't the male civilian's fault he was saddled with these guys, but it seemed a shame to me that the female civilian might win just because she got nerds and he got jocks.

Eeeesh, what else is there to be said about that final round that hasn't been said?  I do think this one had a couple of harder celebrities than some of the other episodes - in particular, Vivica A. Fox and Kate Spade. I am VERY VERY up on pop culture and I would struggle with what to say about Vivica A. Fox at all. The only efficient thing they did in the entire round was to pass quickly on Vivica, and that wasn't skill as much as them standing there dumbstruck so the civilian passed. Someone can get Kate Spade but it's a long way to get there, and if you try to say stuff like "handbags, female designer, last name is the symbol from playing cards, the black upside-down heart," you're still taking up a lot of time and may be for nothing if the civilian doesn't even know the name Kate Spade to begin with.  Nancy kept making the same awful fucking mistakes over and over and over like (a) clinging to one clue like she couldn't think of anything else or repeating it would help, (b) not describing the celebrity at all, but instead some other indirect clue about them or their name, and (c) giving awful clues that aren't unique at all - like WTF was with her Christina Aguilera clues??  "Short skirts, has a little boy, long blonde hair."  WHAT!!!!!!  And fuck, Nancy.  Repeating "Olympian" like there's only a handful of those and trying to describe the adjective "gabby" is NOT going to help anyone.  This one was hard, too, because a lot of people wouldn't remember an athlete from two Olympics ago who hasn't gotten much press since. (I know she went to the 2016 games, too, but she wasn't talked about, so that doesn't mean anything to anyone who doesn't follow the sport.)

And Weird Al was not much better. I feel like the civilian picked Nancy thinking, "oh she used to have her own talk show or whatever, right?" but that doesn't translate into Nancy knowing anything about anyone, let alone knowing key clues to their identity.

I will say I was surprised at how good Daymond John was during the regular games.  RuPaul and Margaret were the obvious choices to me, but i would've have been totally fine with Daymond, unless he had already cautioned, "hey I don't have time to keep up with pop culture, don't pick me." And to me that would also describe Tyler Hoechlin from last week, who was good at the games, but I don't believe follows pop culture, so he wouldn't have been a good pick.

Re: the regular games, I was happy not to hear Jane sing and I think this episode highlighted how problematic the backwards song game can be.

I also think the male civilian winner from last week, who won the final round as well, despite very little skill on his end the entire hour and being completely propped up by his celebrities - he should have been a contestant on this week's ridiculous show and one of the clearly better civilians from this week should have been on last week's.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I love you guys on the podcast but are you kidding with Scarlett Johansson not being a gimmie?

She was in Lost in Translation with Bill Murray and was in the news about a white-washed Ghost In The Shell. "Her first name means 'bright red', like the heroine of Gone With The Wind."

9 hours ago, April Bloodgate said:

Is Nancy Grace the worst clue giver we've ever seen on this show, or am I just biased because I hate her with the fire of a thousand suns? (As Tara said, she is a terrible person. She shouldn't be on anyone's TV. I'd like to banish her from public life forever.)

You and me both.  How appropriate is it that she was p;laying for "exploited children", since that was her bread and butter.

31 minutes ago, sweetandsour said:

1) It wasn't the male civilian's fault he was saddled with these guys, but it seemed a shame to me that the female civilian might win just because she got nerds and he got jocks.

2) Repeating "Olympian" like there's only a handful of those and trying to describe the adjective "gabby" is NOT going to help anyone.  This one was hard, too, because a lot of people wouldn't remember an athlete from two Olympics ago who hasn't gotten much press since. (I know she went to the 2016 games, too, but she wasn't talked about, so that doesn't mean anything to anyone who doesn't follow the sport.)

3) i would've have been totally fine with Daymond, unless he had already cautioned, "hey I don't have time to keep up with pop culture, don't pick me."

4) I think this episode highlighted how problematic the backwards song game can be.

1. I think it would have been a shame if the male civilian had won.  His team was so bad, half the time they didn't have the right face forward in "Who Are You Wearing?")

2. "2012 Olympian" "black gymnast" "The 'Simone Biles of 2012'".

3. He looked like he had his head down in a "Don't pick me" move.  (I don't have much use for him since
By Us" meant the Chinese -- until recently, he advised all the entrepreneurs on Shark Tank to move their manufacturing to China.)

4. The first (and only other) time they played it, Jennie the civilian aced the game [I just watched -- episode 5 "Playing Hardwick to Get" -- and she got 3 of 4].  The songs this time were too much like classic (better!) songs.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

She was in Lost in Translation with Bill Murray and was in the news about a white-washed Ghost In The Shell. "Her first name means 'bright red', like the heroine of Gone With The Wind."

You and me both.  How appropriate is it that she was p;laying for "exploited children", since that was her bread and butter.

1. I think it would have been a shame if the male civilian had won.  His team was so bad, half the time they didn't have the right face forward in "Who Are You Wearing?")

3. He looked like he had his head down in a "Don't pick me" move.  (I don't have much use for him since
By Us" meant the Chinese -- until recently, he advised all the entrepreneurs on Shark Tank to move their manufacturing to China.)

4. The first (and only other) time they played it, Jennie the civilian aced the game [I just watched -- episode 5 "Playing Hardwick to Get" -- and she got 3 of 4].  The songs this time were too much like classic (better!) songs.

Yep, that was a mistype on my part - I meant it would have been a shame if the dude won just because he got an easier category to act out when his team was awful.  What a downer of an ep.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, sweetandsour said:

Yep, that was a mistype on my part - I meant it would have been a shame if the dude won just because he got an easier category to act out when his team was awful.  What a downer of an ep.

I thought that's what you meant!

I wondered if the Vile Nancy Grace didn't know she could use more than one word to describe the celebrity.  It sounded like she thought she could only say "Red" instead of "This actress's first name is a synonym for the color Red and has the same first name as the heroine from GWTW."  Like, NANCY, use sentences to get your point across!  I wasn't watching the game, just listening to the clue-giving and I had NO idea what they were doing.  Then I watched the game and while some of the celebrities were harder than others, still, they should have been able to get them.  I would have optedfor RuPaul and Margaret Cho too.

• Love 1

Is Nancy Grace the worst clue giver we've ever seen on this show, or am I just biased because I hate her with the fire of a thousand suns?

Can't it be both?

I'm struggling not to read anything into the contestant's choice of Nancy Grace over RuPaul. That bone-headed move probably cost her $20 grand.

• Love 2

I noticed that she picked the two white people, quite honestly.  I know nothing about this woman so it really could just be a coincidence.  I also thought that maybe she just didn't pay attention to the other team that much, to know who was good and who wasn't.

On 9/8/2017 at 2:42 AM, jhlipton said:

I haven't used ghost in a shell as a clue for this game involving Scarlett or rough night because we can't forget that this show is like a year old and pre dates both movies. 

On 9/11/2017 at 5:37 PM, jhlipton said:

Lucy, Her and Don Jon weren't huge hits, so I'm not sure they'd have helped...

I feel like there was a lot of talk around "Her" just because of the unusual premise, even if it wasn't actually seen by a lot of people. But I think "Lost in Translation" is the best clue for her, if Marvel movies don't work.

• Love 1
On 2017-09-11 at 7:37 PM, jhlipton said:

Lucy, Her and Don Jon weren't huge hits, so I'm not sure they'd have helped...

Lucy was a huge hit ($460 million on a budget of $40 million) but I don't think it would have made for a great choice because as a name it might have confused the civilian. Avengers and Lost in Translation are probably more memorable. 

I dont passing on Scarlett is a bad choice but the clues they did give before deciding to pass were a fucking waste of time. 

On 9/7/2017 at 10:46 AM, Racj82 said:

I had deja vu reading your post. Really, I thought I had read it before, but that was impossible, so then I wondered if you posted the same thing a year or whatever ago, but that doesn't make sense. [cue Twilight Zone theme]

Anyway, I completely agree with everyone about Nancy Grace. She was awful in that last round. I think it can certainly help to use a clue like "Her first name is another word for the color red" AFTER you've already given real info about the person. Barking out "Red! Red! Red!" is pointless. Oh, and her "imitation" of Cher was godawful and useless.

I was surprised by Weird Al's performance here too, but I'll put it down to his being thrown off by Nancy.

Margaret Cho certainly would have been great, but I probably would have chosen Weird Al and RuPaul.

I hated Turn the Beat Around. It was so hard. I hope they'll retire that game, but they probably won't since they went to the trouble of building that big prop.

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I had deja vu reading your post. Really, I thought I had read it before, but that was impossible, so then I wondered if you posted the same thing a year or whatever ago, but that doesn't make sense. [cue Twilight Zone theme]

Anyway, I completely agree with everyone about Nancy Grace. She was awful in that last round. I think it can certainly help to use a clue like "Her first name is another word for the color red" AFTER you've already given real info about the person. Barking out "Red! Red! Red!" is pointless. Oh, and her "imitation" of Cher was godawful and useless.

I was surprised by Weird Al's performance here too, but I'll put it down to his being thrown off by Nancy.

Margaret Cho certainly would have been great, but I probably would have chosen Weird Al and RuPaul.

I hated Turn the Beat Around. It was so hard. I hope they'll retire that game, but they probably won't since they went to the trouble of building that big prop.

There are multiple times I'm  dumbfounded by very obvious pop culture names that people find hard to describe so it probably sounds the same after a while. I'm 34 but it worries me. I'm like, will there become a point when I don't know or don't know how the describe the biggest stars in Hollywood with ease? I'm already there with music kind of. 

20 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I hated Turn the Beat Around. It was so hard.

I depends on which songs they chose.  Paint It Black sounds like nothing else, and neither does Achy Breaky Heart (to show that quality has nothing to do with it).  They need songs that are distinctive, and that's why the first round (at the start of the season) succeeded but this round didn't.

1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

I depends on which songs they chose.  Paint It Black sounds like nothing else, and neither does Achy Breaky Heart (to show that quality has nothing to do with it).  They need songs that are distinctive, and that's why the first round (at the start of the season) succeeded but this round didn't.

Actually, I think the reason the first time succeeded was because the civilian who absolutely killed that round was a Zumba instructor or something like that. Meaning she spends a ton of time bopping around to the rhythm of various tunes. Apart from that civilian, nobody has done well at the game. So unless they're going to have an episode consisting heavily of fitness class instructors, I think this is one game that should be retired. And I suspect it will be after this.

16 hours ago, Black Knight said:

So unless they're going to have an episode consisting heavily of fitness class instructors, I think this is one game that should be retired. And I suspect it will be after this.

Agree to disagree?  I really think that some songs are so distinctive there's no mistaking them no matter how they're played. 

• Love 1