Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E06: Media Training

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, Rubyslippahz said:

Wow, Kelli completely took out Kalyssa's boob during her bra fitting.  i didn't start out as a big Kalyssa fan but she is getting pretty undeniable with each passing episode-- major DCC star quality.  

I know she's been a guest in prior seasons but Michelle Keys came across really awesome in this episode.  I loved her critiques to KelliJudy.  Unlike say a certain Melissa Rycroft whose presence and contribution is basically a big cup of nothing.  

Ive watched some old seasons on the CMT app and wow the total lack of Jay and his boot camp is such a contrast to the early seasons .   I know there was WAY too much Jay in early MTT seasons--- but do they still do power squad?  Does he still make them lie in a state of the art egg to measure body fat?  Or is Jay just relegated to judging auditions now?

I also think Kalyssa is going to be a DCC star. She needs to rein in some of her own head twirls and interpretations during DCC routines, but I think she'll be the "wow" this squad needs.

I kind of forgot Melissa was even in the episode.....

I would like to see more of Jay, though not as much as the early seasons. I liked the Power Squad and hope they still do that.  Re: measuring body fat, etc - I think they try different things, see what works. I don't imagine it's cheap to do those body fat tests for 44-45 girls, so maybe they're using their CMT money in better ways now.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Rubyslippahz said:

Wow, Kelli completely took out Kalyssa's boob during her bra fitting.  i didn't start out as a big Kalyssa fan but she is getting pretty undeniable with each passing episode-- major DCC star quality.  

I know she's been a guest in prior seasons but Michelle Keys came across really awesome in this episode.  I loved her critiques to KelliJudy.  Unlike say a certain Melissa Rycroft whose presence and contribution is basically a big cup of nothing.  

Ive watched some old seasons on the CMT app and wow the total lack of Jay and his boot camp is such a contrast to the early seasons .   I know there was WAY too much Jay in early MTT seasons--- but do they still do power squad?  Does he still make them lie in a state of the art egg to measure body fat?  Or is Jay just relegated to judging auditions now?

Good point.  I had forgotten all about Jay.  I mean, now the girls have access to the big time cowboys trainers and gym facilities.  And maybe jay is focusing on his other PT clients now.  

2 minutes ago, KatebytheSea said:

I also think Kalyssa is going to be a DCC star. She needs to rein in some of her own head twirls and interpretations during DCC routines, but I think she'll be the "wow" this squad needs.

I kind of forgot Melissa was even in the episode.....

I would like to see more of Jay, though not as much as the early seasons. I liked the Power Squad and hope they still do that.  Re: measuring body fat, etc - I think they try different things, see what works. I don't imagine it's cheap to do those body fat tests for 44-45 girls, so maybe they're using their CMT money in better ways now.

I agree.  If Kalyssa WANTS to stick with the team, I see her as a 50 yard line girl, leader, show group, spokesperson etc. 

• Love 4
On 9/8/2017 at 5:25 AM, LadyMsJay said:

They are filmed in sequence.

Tara has her blonde hair with dark roots just like she had at prelims.  I saw other gals with blonde hair/dark roots. Guess makeovers is just a term that is used. 

Good points about the absence of Jay this season.  I think it's entirely possible that he's been cast aside to make room for trainers and facilities at the Star.  I don't even remember him being a focus during auditions.  I hated the power squad and extra activities segments of previous seasons, but he has just disappeared and I actually miss him a bit!  I LOVED the grocery shopping segment in Season 6.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, KatebytheSea said:

I think Madeline is going to be a Maddie 2.0 and will come back stronger next year. I loved when one of  the girls asked her what she's going to do tomorrow, and she said, "Eat pancakes." Good for you, girl! Relax awhile, then get back on that horse!

Except that Maddie 1.0 already possessed and demonstrated her dance chops the first time she auditioned.  Her dance talent was always 'World Class', she just needed to develop a more mature look and a more confident attitude.  

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, California Girl said:

Except that Maddie 1.0 already possessed and demonstrated her dance chops the first time she auditioned.  Her dance talent was always 'World Class', she just needed to develop a more mature look and a more confident attitude.  

THANK YOU!! Exactly! Although I don't think I will ever forget Neil McCoy's comment "you won't be able to change her face" yikes!

Can someone tell me Jay's affiliation to DCC? I never could figure out why he was there, not that I minded him. I wish they would do more behind the scenes stuff like the etiquette class, that was interesting. Obviously Belk is now a sponsor so we will have to see more fashion show stuff.

6 minutes ago, Princess Chloe said:

Can someone tell me Jay's affiliation to DCC? I never could figure out why he was there, not that I minded him. I wish they would do more behind the scenes stuff like the etiquette class, that was interesting. Obviously Belk is now a sponsor so we will have to see more fashion show stuff.

I miss Jay too. he injected a little bit a realism (ie good old fashioned running, sit-ups and pushups) to the show and did stress the DCC are also athletes.

I found this site about him:  http://jayssoldierfit.com/

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ReneeK said:

Good point.  I had forgotten all about Jay.  I mean, now the girls have access to the big time cowboys trainers and gym facilities.  And maybe jay is focusing on his other PT clients now.  

I agree.  If Kalyssa WANTS to stick with the team, I see her as a 50 yard line girl, leader, show group, spokesperson etc. 

Hopefully that's not the best talent they can get on the team. Leader? For sure. Part of the triangle? Yes. I don't think she can be point, but of course maybe if she stays with the team 2-3 years, she may absolutely become point material.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Rubyslippahz said:

I missed the back story on this.. Is there a medical reason why Kalyssa has re-movable boobs? Or was she just trying to enhance what she has w/o a medical procedure?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, California Girl said:

Don't think that contradicts my opinion, so we could be roundabout agreeing...? :) Not saying the two situations are exact. But Maddie 1.0 was a mess when she entered TC the first time, and the next year she kicked it. If Maddie 2.0 goes home and works on DCC style and confidence, she can do the same! She's cute, engaging, and has good style.

Edited by KatebytheSea
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, PBSLover said:

Tara has her blonde hair with dark roots just like she had at prelims.  I saw other gals with blonde hair/dark roots. Guess makeovers is just a term that is used. 

Having the modified Ombre look with dark roots and lighter going down seems to be the style nowadays, though I always thought it looked more like grow-out than a style. Guess I won't be doing it!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, laprin said:

As a former resident of Dallas that worked in Arlington, that commute from Arlinton to Frisco is only a little longer than an average commute. Many, if not most, commute 25-30 miles per day because Dallas-Fort Worth is very spread out. She lives close to AT&T Stadium, which is in Arlington, so on game day, she has an advantage. 

They probably still take one bus together from The Star, so that advantage will likely get negated. Seeing it will help her stay motivated on busy days though ? 

Have you been gone long? When I moved back to Dallas in 2014 I was shocked at how much worse it had gotten, and by the time I left in May, it was utterly excruciating. The infrastructure hasn't kept up with the tremendous growth in west Plano and Frisco. My four mile drive to work would take 25 minutes, and when I lived downtown and had the "reverse commute" to Plano, it would still take 60-90 minutes. Downtown to Valley Ranch was almost as bad, particularly in the evening. Between 35 and Woodall Rodgers, I was happy for a cocktail when I got home.

Mileage can vary on what an average commute should be though, for sure. An hour to 90 minutes to The Star during pm rush hour is probably the standard. Maybe Arlington to Frisco isn't as bad, but with 121 always under construction and having to deal with 360 and 35 on the way, plus tolls, doesn't sound fun. 

I'm mostly very curious how Lauren manages her schedule! Lower Arlington rent might be well worth the extra drive, and she might enjoy the downtime too. I would rather pay more and be at work in 30 minutes or less.

(Thanks, The Star. I appreciated the extra commute time. You are pretty tho!)

37 minutes ago, KatebytheSea said:

Don't think that contradicts my opinion, so we could be roundabout agreeing...? :) Not saying the two situations are exact. But Maddie 1.0 was a mess when she entered TC the first time, and the next year she kicked it. If Maddie 2.0 goes home and works on DCC style and confidence, she can do the same! She's cute, engaging, and has good style.

It might be better to compare Madeline to former DCC Allie in that they both have a similar (though not identical) physical type.  If Madeline can improve her dancing to the level that Allie's was at, then she could make the team.  

1 hour ago, California Girl said:

It might be better to compare Madeline to former DCC Allie in that they both have a similar (though not identical) physical type.  If Madeline can improve her dancing to the level that Allie's was at, then she could make the team.  

I see where you're coming from. My comparison, however, wasn't about body style, but style and likability. Maddie 1.0 was a trained studio dancer which gave her good grounding in technique. She wowed at tryouts, was engaging and cute, but couldn't do DCC style. Maddie 2.0 did well in tryouts (else she wouldn't have gotten to TC with such a technically skilled bunch of TCCs), was engaging in her smile and mannerisms, but couldn't master the power and panache of DCC style. I hope she comes back and makes the squad next year! She seems like a sweetie.

• Love 1
On 9/7/2017 at 11:01 PM, kacesq said:

I don't understand why Kelli and Judy both said they need to stop babying Brianna but didn't have a conversation with her tonight.

I think she did well with the hip hop choreo and they have said power and know your dances in studio, so I think that is why she was not called in office.  But anytime Kelli is losing patience with you and starts with the snarky comments behind closed doors you need to worry.  I just think they were hoping she could pick up the concept of punch and power in her dancing over time and it just hasn't clicked.  I am still pulling for her but I just don't think she is ready.  Not this season.  :(

No version of Madeline (or Maddie as she is now called) has good dance technique. She has a lot of tricks and can perform, and she's exceptional at hip hop, but anyone who knows anything about ballet can tell she does not have good dance technique.  Her placement is very immature/wrong and she has no extension at all.  Sickled feet in her tricks too.  The studio she was a "rat" in, did her wrong...

Brianna's dance technique is in a whole other league than Madeline's - she clearly has had very good dance training.   She is missing the power and performance element of DCC, so not sure if she'll ever be a good fit...maybe if she really wants it and works at it.   I almost get the impression that she tried out on a dare/whim or something, and had no idea she'd even make it to finals - let alone this far into TC.  So if it doesn't work out I don't think she'll be upset as most of the others.  

• Love 6
On 9/8/2017 at 6:19 AM, dreamcatcher said:

I found the media training segment to be really interesting BUT that's not a training, that's testing. I studied journalism and I wasn't a natural the first time they put me in front of a camera so i wouldn't expect a cheerleader to be amazing without attending some kind of workshop before.

I actually liked the segment, it was something different.  But SO TRUE that it seemed like testing.

8 hours ago, KatebytheSea said:

I miss Jay.  Maybe they pull out the classics later.

• Love 2

(Thank you everyone for the well wishes. Irma is slowly making its way to Fort Lauderdale now but I'm finally all boarded up. You all are great.)

Brennan is such an unfortunate case for me. I love her personality, she's pretty, & her DCC Style is... par, but her facial expressions are always such a deal breaker for me. I'd Like to see her on the team (probably would never make SG), but I don't think she can unlearn those faces.

Someone for the love of God, cut Rockabye Brianna. I've lost interest in you and your proverbial bucket.

I love getting to see them all learn a new routine that we've seen with Michelle Keys. speaking of, I loooove her as a blonde. In retrospect, I don't know what they were doing giving her that other hair back in her DCC days. She looks even younger now!

I love Keyra & Lauren (one of the first take home girls that I've fallen for in the entire series). And I stan for Kalyssa. I love that she's soo sweet in the individual interviews but can sell sex appeal like nobody since Brittney Schram. 

Can't wait to see Robin be a group leader next year. Group 1? ?

Justice for Kaitlyn (from LSU), she would have been an amazzzzzzing addition to TC and the Team.there has to be something more to that cut in auditions. 

Random: for someone who got such attention on the show, I often forget Chantel is a DCC. 

You know what annoys me about the music on the show? They'll rehearse the fireball routine but not play the Fireball song, then in the Power Routine, they'll play Fireball! How do we keep getting here? I know Kanye probably isn't signing over too many rights over to his verse in that routine, but still. This probably goes in show improvements but I'm drunk for the Hurricane and already typing, but for Fireball (for example) I wish they would play the actual song with the actual routine and split screen the girls like they do the vets when they show us them doing the routine. That way we could get all the TCCs in with 2 eight counts each and be able to see them with the music. I want to be able to understand the critics that Kelli and Judy are giving. They have a routine to a Bruno Mars song this season and hat same song was used in the season opener, so I know it's in the cache.

Cut Brianna please.

Serious question, does Celinda do anything wrong besides not get noticed? I don't notice her either, but I don't think she's gotten any other substantive dance correction, to my memory.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tajalexander said:

(Thank you everyone for the well wishes. Irma is slowly making its way to Fort Lauderdale now but I'm finally all boarded up. You all are great.)

Brennan is such an unfortunate case for me. I love her personality, she's pretty, & her DCC Style is... par, but her facial expressions are always such a deal breaker for me. I'd Like to see her on the team (probably would never make SG), but I don't think she can unlearn those faces.

Serious question, does Celinda do anything wrong besides not get noticed? I don't notice her either, but I don't think she's gotten any other substantive dance correction, to my memory.

Yup, stay safe!

Re: Brennan - I just think she kind of looks old, though I hate to say that. Seems like she doesn't gel with the other DCCs. But her facials do seem like she's anxious all the time. :(

Re: Celinda - Maybe Kelli and Judy don't even notice Celinda enough to give her corrections...? Which would be double-ouch. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, sATL said:

I missed the back story on this.. Is there a medical reason why Kalyssa has re-movable boobs? Or was she just trying to enhance what she has w/o a medical procedure?

Haha no I just meant that Kelli lifted at least one of Kalyssas boobs out of the bra during the fitting to the extent there was major pixelated blurred out action on the screen.  They are attached to her chest (I'm assuming).    

I agree whomever above was contrasting cut Madeline with Brennan.  If Brennan had Madeline's face she would be fine but I think that is the main sticking point.    I did feel like Madelines farewell was kind of poignant, I don't know what the hell is wrong with me.    I also feel for rockabye baby Brianna and how emotionally wrecked she is.  

Kinda wished in the middle of the episode when girls were being called in that Kelli and Judy just would have cut Brennan, Christina, and Dullinda en masse with a simple "Yeah I guess we were right the first time about you guys.  Buh bye."

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

But anytime Kelli is losing patience with you and starts with the snarky comments behind closed doors you need to worry.  

Love this! We've got Kelli's personality down pat ?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Rubyslippahz said:

Haha no I just meant that Kelli lifted at least one of Kalyssas boobs out of the bra during the fitting to the extent there was major pixelated blurred out action on the screen.  They are attached to her chest (I'm assuming).    

I agree whomever above was contrasting cut Madeline with Brennan.  If Brennan had Madeline's face she would be fine but I think that is the main sticking point.    I did feel like Madelines farewell was kind of poignant, I don't know what the hell is wrong with me.    I also feel for rockabye baby Brianna and how emotionally wrecked she is.  

Kinda wished in the middle of the episode when girls were being called in that Kelli and Judy just would have cut Brennan, Christina, and Dullinda en masse with a simple "Yeah I guess we were right the first time about you guys.  Buh bye."

Dying ??

• Love 2
6 hours ago, tajalexander said:

You know what annoys me about the music on the show? They'll rehearse the fireball routine but not play the Fireball song, then in the Power Routine, they'll play Fireball! How do we keep getting here? I know Kanye probably isn't signing over too many rights over to his verse in that routine, but still. This probably goes in show improvements but I'm drunk for the Hurricane and already typing, but for Fireball (for example) I wish they would play the actual song with the actual routine and split screen the girls like they do the vets when they show us them doing the routine. That way we could get all the TCCs in with 2 eight counts each and be able to see them with the music. I want to be able to understand the critics that Kelli and Judy are giving. They have a routine to a Bruno Mars song this season and hat same song was used in the season opener, so I know it's in the cache.

The song they use in the show are not the songs that are used URL in the performances. The songs in show has to be paid for & they are probably really expensive , Other than the country songs bec CMT can probably help with that. I think they pay for one new big song hit every season and they used the rest are old ones they used before. (The still use Wild one & that song is at least 5 years old). I think this year they spent the entire music budget on "I feel it coming" by the Weeknd feat DaftPunk which they probably paid a tun of money for & thats why they use every single ep since the beginning of the season. (Which is ironic since Kelli trashed Daftpunk a couple of years on twitter after they won Album of the year at the Grammys. Plus DCC pretend to be conservative and kinda uptight K & J probably doesn't get that they real meaning of the song. Which makes me laugh every time the song plays !!)

P.S The fireball is a Pitbull song. 

• Love 2

I heard Calvin Harris "My Way" this season which I didn't mind, and of course the baby make you sweat, which we've heard in past seasons (and ESPN used it often during this year's us open).  That whistle song was big last season or the year before, and I could not remove it from my brain:  AND THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD IS WHISTLING!  

It really makes a difference when the music meshes with the moves - and sometimes it just doesn't.  It's hilarious when Kelly says something about musicality at that moment.  How can we tell if they are correctly dancing on the beat when different music is dubbed in after?   Good music truly adds to to the show - especially during the solos episode

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Rubyslippahz said:

I felt so bad for Kalyssa in this scene. I get that dancers are used to this but I'm sure having a director you probably fear grab your boob in front of the cameramans can't be comfortable. Major props to her there.

• Love 2
On 9/7/2017 at 11:48 PM, MyFavShows said:

Kalyssa just keeps getting prettier and prettier in comparison to the other girls - she's just gorgeous.   I loved it when she got called out for doing extra choreography to get attention though - I HATE when show off-type people do that (almost every dance team/group has an obnoxious one in the bunch that's always trying that crap) and it was so nice to hear them correct her.

I haven't gotten the vibe that Kalyssa is doing extra choreo to try to get attention. I feel like that's her dance style, kind of like Cassie in A Chorus Line. She gives 150% to the dance and it comes out as "extra", and she may not have been aware of it. It's gonna be a challenge for her to reel all that in and in essence become a "chorus" girl.  I was the same way and only realized it when I saw a video of myself in rehearsal. But I totally agree that there are performers that do it on purpose,  just to stand out and get noticed. Hers just seems so natural to me.

• Love 4

I like Kalyssa. I think she is pretty and a great dancer.  I think that they definitely cast "types" and "nasty/naughty" is one of those types they have cast throughout the years going back a number of seasons.

i also think if Kalyssa keeps it up, at least half the people who love her now will start complaining about how she is "too much" and "extra" and "thirsty". It will be a Holly 2.0 scenario around here with her.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Dccfan126 said:

I like Kalyssa. I think she is pretty and a great dancer.  I think that they definitely cast "types" and "nasty/naughty" is one of those types they have cast throughout the years going back a number of seasons.

i also think if Kalyssa keeps it up, at least half the people who love her now will start complaining about how she is "too much" and "extra" and "thirsty". It will be a Holly 2.0 scenario around here with her.

Yup. Kalyssa might be prettier, but it's very obvious she hasn't danced that long. Pretty lines, not so great technique. She got on the team based in her face.

13 hours ago, MyFavShows said:

No version of Madeline (or Maddie as she is now called) has good dance technique. She has a lot of tricks and can perform, and she's exceptional at hip hop, but anyone who knows anything about ballet can tell she does not have good dance technique.  Her placement is very immature/wrong and she has no extension at all.  Sickled feet in her tricks too.  The studio she was a "rat" in, did her wrong...

Brianna's dance technique is in a whole other league than Madeline's - she clearly has had very good dance training.   She is missing the power and performance element of DCC, so not sure if she'll ever be a good fit...maybe if she really wants it and works at it.   I almost get the impression that she tried out on a dare/whim or something, and had no idea she'd even make it to finals - let alone this far into TC.  So if it doesn't work out I don't think she'll be upset as most of the others.  

THANK YOU. Maddie 1.0 has vastly improved since her first audition, but to be a self proclaimed studio rat, horrible technique. She could do a lot of tricks, and that impressed people who have never danced, but that's about it. She still falls out of turns and and can't connect/transition anything with fluidity. I also don't think she's DCC pretty at all. Looks like a round faced kid. Hip hop, well she's good for a babyfaced white girl from Utah, so there's that novelty. I just don't get the Maddie 1 appeal.

Brianna is gorgeous and clearly studio trained, just way too young to handle the whole thing. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

I felt so bad for Kalyssa in this scene. I get that dancers are used to this but I'm sure having a director you probably fear grab your boob in front of the cameramans can't be comfortable. Major props to her there.

Kalyssa won me over in that scene. She just had the prefect "do what you want, I don't mind" response to it all. Even when they questioned her about how sexy she comes across and she basically shrugged it off like "if people don't like it, that on them". (not her exact words, but the jist of her response). I just love that she owned it. didn't make excuses or anything, and that it is just who she is. 

1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Brianna is gorgeous and clearly studio trained, just way too young to handle the whole thing. 

I really feel  that K&J are grooming her for coming back in the future to make the team. My fear is, they're going to push her a little too far this season that she won't want to come back. I mean, she's done little but cry this whole time. If that keeps up, why would she even want to come back? She doesn't strike me as one of the girls who has dreamed about this her whole life and will do anything it takes to make the team. So in a year she might have moved on to a new dream, maybe try Rockettes (again?), or get into a dance company, or be on a different squad where she doesn't cry every single day. I honestly don't think DCC is the right place for her.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DCCroutineFAN said:

I don't remember Cassie's character in A Chorus Line, but I can see a relation with Kalyssa and the girl who sang " T_ _ _ and  A_ _ "     LOL

Cassie was the one who was trying desperately to get into the show, but had a hard time being one of the chorus. She would "pop" her head which made her stand out and Michael Douglas' character kept yelling at her because she was too extra.

1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Yup. Kalyssa might be prettier, but it's very obvious she hasn't danced that long. Pretty lines, not so great technique. She got on the team based in her face.

THANK YOU. Maddie 1.0 has vastly improved since her first audition, but to be a self proclaimed studio rat, horrible technique. She could do a lot of tricks, and that impressed people who have never danced, but that's about it. She still falls out of turns and and can't connect/transition anything with fluidity. I also don't think she's DCC pretty at all. Looks like a round faced kid. Hip hop, well she's good for a babyfaced white girl from Utah, so there's that novelty. I just don't get the Maddie 1 appeal.

I think Madeline 2 is better than vet Madeline. I do not see her appeal at all. I guess coming back and making the corrections Kelli and Charlotte wanted her to make wins her a spot on the team. I wonder how Judy feels about her. Madeline 2 reminds me of cut vets Allie and Heather, but she does not bugs me as much as vet Madeline does. I really miss the appeal of the squads we had from Season 2 to Season 5. Season 6 squad was not too bad, but Season 7 left a bad taste in my mouth, and please do not get be started on Season 8 to today's Season 12.

Edited by bigskygirl
1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

Madeline 2 reminds me of cut vets Allie and Heather

Maybe she was too similar to former DCCs Allie and Heather, who say what you may about their reasons for being cut, at least already possessed a mastery of the DCC routines.  

Edited by California Girl
  • Love 1

Why is one of the giant posters of a DCC blurred out in the dance studio?  It's a huge blow-up of someone's face?  I don't follow DCC in real time, so if it's a spoiler please let me know and I'll post it in the other forum.  It was very distracting.

14 hours ago, Rubyslippahz said:

Kinda wished . . . that Kelli and Judy just would have cut Brennan, Christina, and Dullinda 

Thank you @Rubyslippahz for perfectly articulating the issue with Celinda, which I hadn't quite been able to put my finger on.  Celinda is that girl you completely forget about the minute you finish talking to her.  

If I could give her one piece of advice on making it through this training camp, it would be to amp up, exaggerate, and BIGGEN Every - Single - Thing  - You - Do!   Stop speaking in a flat monotone, and instead vary the inflections in your speech from higher pitches to breathy depths.  Throw in some laughs for emphasis.   If you are going for blond highlights, then amp it up several notches with an overall color wash a shade brighter than your planned highlights, and then do even brighter highlights on top of that.  Make it an extra-full, extra-length set of super-feathery eyelash extensions.  Take your eyeshadow to a deeper, sultry shade.  When you apply eyeliner, draw it out into a cat eye for extra emphasis.   Smile during a dance, and then smile even bigger.  Open your eyes to look at your audience, and then open them even wider.  Arch your eyebrows or lop-side your smile for a little oomph.  When you are asked for a shoulder shimmy or a rump shake, do it with the force of a full-on push.  Celinda really is beautiful, appears to learn the dances quickly, and is like 90% of the way there -- IF only she could get herself noticed (but like in a good way).    

Edited by California Girl
  • Love 2

My take (sorry its so long)

I am seeing the overall style of DCC dancing moving into the hip hop direction. Not just with the dances they categorize as  "hip hop" but with the pom and even the country. This is my take from what I am able to see on the show and on the routines on sidelines and quarter changes from this year. I haven't seen every single routine they do but comparing the routines that have been around for a long time and get updated and refreshed with routines that just left the catalog of routines altogether (of which some are my favorite).    I guess doing the Hammer in the 80s wearing the star dress was the only hip hop type style to pull from and I remember how popular and stylish that was with EVERYONE because that was basically all there was, and today I can't watch those old videos and say "work it girl" in a serious way.  While that is for sure out of style, it makes it hard for the younger generation to appreciate how talented the ladies are/were in those days because it's masked by the COMPLETELY DIFFERENT and quite hideous dance moves. There is such a huge range of styles now you can even break up one particular style into several sub genres. I see in this episode and the last episode with DCC a lot less bounce and more sharp and quick, still power but different. It's hard to explain but the way they transition during routines even looks different this year. I have to face the fact that I am living through a music/dance style transition that is taking me some getting used to and it's the kind where choreography that I actually like is being called horrible and lame and to me it was not even that long ago (like 2008).  I do enjoy these new routines and I see familiar sequences it's just different to see this much hip hop as this is the 3rd guest choreo to be teaching on the show (the first one they did over the summer shown on the first episode) and then 2 more. I do really really like Mr. Green (I forgot his first name).  His style was awesome and fun and I wish I could dance with this style naturally . I think hip hop style is very unique and difficult to pull off and be entertaining (in a good way) if you are not very good and natural at it and it's hard t watch a lot of these girls try to dance this way no matter how talented and studio trained they are.  

I am not super crazy about Bri Hafen's  style of dance

I've always been a fan of Michelle Keys. It's amazing to see how much she has grown as a woman and in her dance career since her Mavs dancer days. 

Brennan  ... um I realize now after this episode what the problem is and unfortunately I don't think she can help it. While she is a pretty girl and can carry a non smile or a smile in a still moment, her facial expressions do not visually look good while being bright, fun, relaxed, letting go, not thinking, being confident...etc.  I honestly think she is doing all those things and the way her facial expressions translate while dancing and performing her absolute best are always going to look this way and it's just not pretty or comfortable to watch. So I feel for her and we'll see what happens. 

I liked the media segment but will probably skip over it when watching from now on. 

I don't think  air mattress Madeline is right for DCC just my opinion.

They hardly showed any of DCC uni fittings. Way to little footage of this because to me it's a good way to get to know a little about the TCCs without the sob story intro.

I am a big fan of Alexis, Tara, Alexandria, Kalyssa who I didn't like at first but she has grown on me, now I like watching Lexie and I like Mollie.

I don't know what to think about Gina yet, she seems confident but not knowing her personally, I don't want to make any false judgements. 

I like Kitty and I'm glad she will be back next episode.

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, Mitzi.B said:

Why is one of the giant posters of a DCC blurred out in the dance studio?  It's a huge blow-up of someone's face?  I don't follow DCC in real time, so if it's a spoiler please let me know and I'll post it in the other forum.  It was very distracting.

Do you remember when you noticed that? I don't really remember anything like that so I could rewatch the scene to see what this is about!

9 hours ago, lampwick said:

I heard Calvin Harris "My Way" this season which I didn't mind, and of course the baby make you sweat, which we've heard in past seasons (and ESPN used it often during this year's us open).  That whistle song was big last season or the year before, and I could not remove it from my brain:  AND THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD IS WHISTLING!  

It really makes a difference when the music meshes with the moves - and sometimes it just doesn't.  It's hilarious when Kelly says something about musicality at that moment.  How can we tell if they are correctly dancing on the beat when different music is dubbed in after?   Good music truly adds to to the show - especially during the solos episode

Calvin Harris is sprinkled all over the seasons, and doesn't get edited out of the iTunes versions or repeats.  He has four songs in the episodes, IIRC. He must be a fan. Or cheap ?

Not belonging to above quote, but a diff post about music rights and such that didn't copy and I'm on mobile so naturally can't find it again...I thought OP was saying it was odd that they used Pitbull's Fireball music, but not with the routine that went with it. There was a different music shown with the fireball routine, despite the actual music being elsewhere in the episode. Which I think is kind of bananas too. 

• Love 1

I think Brennan's issue is that the underlying muscles in her face make her mouth look almost like a snarl, or that she's baring her teeth, when she tries to smile. There are speech pathologists that prescribe face/mouth/tongue/jaw exercises that can help to balance this out.

2 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

Do you remember when you noticed that? I don't really remember anything like that so I could rewatch the scene to see what this is about!

It was when the rookies were dancing around in the studio during uniform fittings.

Madeline is cute.  Her dancing style looked odd and somewhat kiddy compared to the group.  Her time was up for me.  I was fine with seeing her leave.

Brennan works very hard, and I would like to see her on the team.  I hope she can improve her facials.  I think her last tryout is a monkey on the back.  I'm not sure Judy and Kelli can get past it.  For example, when the guest chorographer did not notice anything weird facial wise they introduced doubt in her mind.  I think the facial expressions come from the stress of wanting to please to get on the team.  I think she wants it a lot and does not want to fail again.    

I am always wondering when is it time for Brianna to go home.  She got the look, but not the dancing.  I believe she can get it, but not this year.  She has an advantage for next year: Kelli and Judy would love for her to be on the team.  Half of her battle is already won.  She just needs to become a more powerful dancer, mature some, and use her sex appeal in her dancing (she appears apprehensive on those sexy moves).  

I was happy to see Keyra get positively noticed.  She does not appear to be a struggler, so we don't see much of her on the show. 

It is fun to see the guest chorographers. In the back of my mind I'm thinking they are trying to eliminate you borderline girls, good luck.  The chorographers are teaching fast to separate the weak from the strong.  

I really like Kalyssa.  The comments on her dancing style would not bother me either.  It's not stiff, boring, off beat, or dancing like a child.  

The media training segment I could do without.  I don't watch the show for that training, but I know it is a part of training camp.  

Edited by DaisyFields500
  • Love 2
On 9/9/2017 at 0:06 PM, 123DCCWoooo said:

Good points about the absence of Jay this season.  I think it's entirely possible that he's been cast aside to make room for trainers and facilities at the Star.  I don't even remember him being a focus during auditions.  I hated the power squad and extra activities segments of previous seasons, but he has just disappeared and I actually miss him a bit!  I LOVED the grocery shopping segment in Season 6.

Maybe because they only take girls in shape, they don’t focus on him like they did.  I hope they bring him in to talk about nutrition or something like they have in the past.  He’s very inspiring nd good at what he does..

• Love 1

I liked Kelli's tender tone when Madeline asked her about coming back next year and Kelli replied, "We would like that." I don't know if I ever heard her sound that way before.

In regards to the comments about Kalyssa being the future face of DCC, I saw Maggie in that role. During her rookie TC year, they seemed to show her a lot and she was well spoken. I thought she could be a replacement for Jenn K as the spokesperson. I'm surprised they hardly show her at all this year.

49 minutes ago, TobyBelle said:

I liked Kelli's tender tone when Madeline asked her about coming back next year and Kelli replied, "We would like that." I don't know if I ever heard her sound that way before.

In regards to the comments about Kalyssa being the future face of DCC, I saw Maggie in that role. During her rookie TC year, they seemed to show her a lot and she was well spoken. I thought she could be a replacement for Jenn K as the spokesperson. I'm surprised they hardly show her at all this year.

Like Kelli would ever tell the girls anything other than "we really would like you to come back , we haven't told that to anyone else"

• Love 2

I loved, loved, LOVED this episode!   We actually got to see all the rookie candidates in one show, how long has it been since that happened?

Loved the media training!   

Still hoping for a revamp of the uniform.  Maybe if they can't give up the one they have now, just make one alternate one for certain games.  I would love to see a modern version of it.

I think Rachel is very pretty.   I am hoping she makes it.

• Love 1