Type keyword(s) to search

800 Words - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This show's premise bothers me--am I missing out on a good show?

It just seems such a dick move--their mother just died so let's move away from everything and everyone familiar--yeah, that'll fix it. Don't want any of that pesky grief.

4 hours ago, SeriousPurrs said:

It just seems such a dick move--their mother just died so let's move away from everything and everyone familiar--yeah, that'll fix it. Don't want any of that pesky grief.

This is one of the main themes of the show - how this family deals with their grief.  ( I can only speak for the first season as the second hasn't aired in the U.S. yet. ) Do you want to be in a place where there are constant reminders of your dead spouse?  George decides he doesn't.   You don 't even find out exactly how his wife died until several episodes in, and then his decision makes more sense. 

His kids think he's crazy, although his son Arlo is willing to go along with his dad.  The daughter, Shay, isn't so sanguine.  Both kids face a lot of bullying at the local high school.  Who knew there was such rivalry and dislike between Australia and New Zealand?  And his in-laws back in Australia are more than willing to take in their unhappy grandchildren.

What I like about the show is that it's not straight-forward.   The story starts several months after George's wife dies, and based on the first episode you'd think it was a comedy.  The house that George buys over the Internet is not the house he thinks he's buying.  What he's really bought is a ramshackle building that would be better off torn-down.  The denizens of Weld are nothing if not colorful.  But then the show morphs into more of a family comedy-drama ala Gilmore Girls.  George faces his grief and the impact of his rash decision to move.  The  teens try to find acceptance at their new school.  (Hey, that sounds exactly like Gilmore Girls!)

I wasn't sure about the show after the first episode.  But by the end of the first short season  I was looking forward to each new episode.  And since PBS is now re-airing season 1 (which ends on something of a cliff-hanger) , I sincerely hope that we'll get to see season 2.

I don't know that it's a great show, but it certainly is a good one. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, SeriousPurrs said:

This show's premise bothers me--am I missing out on a good show?

So I guess you were also not a fan of Everwood? I loved that show and one of the reason I started watching this was the similar basic premise of a father moving from the big city to a small town far away after the death of his wife. Both shows are also dramas with comedic elements although 800 Words seems to be a bit more comedic and the town a bit more quirky than Everwood. Gilmore Girls also seems a good comparison. I'd say that 800 Words is probably somewhere in between Everwood and Gilmore Girls when it comes to the comedic elements and the quirkiness of the town.

• Love 4
(edited)

Okay, THIS is new. Finally, a place to discuss "800 Words".  It seems that the few that are here have only seen the first season, is that correct? @SilverStormm, it's nice to bump into you again from the Poldark 2015 AND Good Witch forums. Same rules apply? I will be a good boy and not reveal any spoilers. (Unfortunately, by my saying "have only seen the first season" I may have already revealed a spoiler?)

On 7/6/2017 at 1:35 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

The  teens try to find acceptance at their new school.  (Hey, that sounds exactly like Gilmore Girls!)

There are similarities between GG's Star Hollows and 800 Words' Weld, but not much. Both are quaint towns but in Weld, everybody knows your business. Yes, both Shay and Arlo have a rough time being accepted in school, but it's only by a couple of kids.  Shay has her Paris in the local McNamara girl, and Arlo has a problem with the McNamara boy.  Not many similarities between Everwood (the show) and 800 Words other than in both shows, a parent has died. It would seem strange to move your family after a painful loss, but like @Quilt Fairy said, that's the main premise of the show: How each of the Turner household deals with the loss. George Turner has a difficult time, as is to be expected, but he has his kids, and their new house to deal with. Shay, is very much like her mother and is barely keeping it together because she was the closest to her mom.  Arlo, is probably the glue that keeps them all together because he is the most sensitive and understands his father the most. 

It's a good series and I hope you'll enjoy it. There are comedic moments, but there are also tragic moments, It has a good balance of each. Like Kirk in GG, there are some odd ducks, Hell, they're all basically odd, but you'll learn that they're just regular people with odd foibles.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I am enjoying this series.  I am watching it on KET.  My local PBS isn't showing it. KET seems to have a better selection of show.  Before each episode, there a man comes on and explains that Doc Martin won't be on this summer and 800 words will be instead.  I guess they want to avoid angry phone calls from Doc Martin fans.!

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 3:44 AM, Jacks-Son said:

Okay, THIS is new. Finally, a place to discuss "800 Words".  It seems that the few that are here have only seen the first season, is that correct?

Yes.  PBS aired Season 1 in the U.S. earlier this spring and now they're re-airing it, so I asked for a forum.  I sincerely hope we get to see Season 2.  I've come across some synopses of S2 episodes, and I really want to see where the show goes.

7 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Yes.  PBS aired Season 1 in the U.S. earlier this spring and now they're re-airing it, so I asked for a forum.  I sincerely hope we get to see Season 2.  I've come across some synopses of S2 episodes, and I really want to see where the show goes.

You won't be disappointed. It's a fun ride and I've learned a few things about Australia and New Zealand.

Spoiler

You'll be be happy to know that season two has 16 episodes.

• Love 1

I haven't heard about this before and just saw episode one tonight.  Thanks ahead of time for hiding any spoilers.

I kept expecting it to rain into the exposed house.  The toilet made me laugh as they panned around to the electrical etc.  Everything about the house needs to be replaced! I wasn't really taken in but I'll keep watching.  They did a good job establishing characters.  The car mishaps were funny and I like it that Shay is on to the women looking her dad over.  

(edited)
11 hours ago, QuelleC said:

The car mishaps were funny and I like it that Shay is on to the women looking her dad over

Shay has coined an appropriate name for each and you will learn why. They're actually quite lovely, and wonderful women, all four of them, and they are all curious about this new addition to their town. George, of course, is oblivious of their attention, which is also funny.  

Edited by Jacks-Son

I'm a bit late posting this, but I only just found out about it while googling the series to see if the start date for season 3 had been announced. I didn't find that start date, but I did find out that Dutch channel SBS6 is doing a Dutch remake of 800 Words. In the Dutch version the main character moves from Amsterdam to a small village in the province Zeeland. The series will film in Cadzand-Bad which is a village with a population of 800 people near the Belgian border. It didn't say if the series is actually set there or if it will stand in for a fictional village. I won't post any links because all the articles are in Dutch, but if you can read Dutch you can find them by googling 800 Woorden (the Dutch title is a literal translation of the original).

Yeah the Dutch remake just wrapped filming in the past two weeks. While the original aka this forum's one will wrap around August (since they're currently shooting Episodes 13 and 14 going by the cast's social media accounts).

16 hours ago, Nadine said:

While the original aka this forum's one will wrap around August (since they're currently shooting Episodes 13 and 14 going by the cast's social media accounts).

Episodes 13 & 14 of season 3 are filming now?  Damn, even I am tempted to break the golden rule and try to find out how they resolved the season 2 cliff hangar.  However, I will grit my teeth and wait for the episodes to air.

36 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

Episodes 13 & 14 of season 3 are filming now?  Damn, even I am tempted to break the golden rule and try to find out how they resolved the season 2 cliff hangar.  However, I will grit my teeth and wait for the episodes to air.

Heh. Don't worry I've been following the action of their filming and even I am still speculating!

(edited)

I don't know if I should put this here, but I will put a spoiler tag on it.  @Nadine, you probably have this site bookmarked or you follow it on Twitter. (I'm old school and don't get involved with social media) 

Anyway, I was looking for the song that was playing when George and a "woman" were planning a dinner party (Season 2, episode 10). I couldn't find the song, but if anyone knows it, please point me to it. I would appreciate it.  I did a Google search on part of the lyrics but the only hit I got was on someone's Instagram page and they only used the lyrics but not the title or artists. Never mind, I finally found the title of the song and the name of the artists.  The song is called, "Kings and Queens" and it's by Brooke Fraser from the album Brutal Romantic, released back in 2015.  I also found the recording studio video for the song. Brooke Fraser gives a little of her story and then the song starts about 1:05 minutes into the video. I believe the lyrics are: 

"Kings & Queens"

We've got a long way to go but we got the energy
It took a little while to find reality
We've come a long way you know, living inside a dream
Waking to find that we are kings and queens

Lights on
Sometimes this feels like sleeping with the lights on, oho
The memories stay
They loop their lies on endless replay, oho

Been sleeping where I fall if I can sleep at all
Cuz I wake where I wanna if I wake at all
To see the lines are blurred, reality deferred
And we're chasing down tomorrow, oho

Ride on
Let's ditch the dark babe, we just gotta ride on, oho
Don't let lies through
They'll trick your mind and turn your heart to stone

Forget the wars we fight, forget the tears you cry
Cuz we go where we wanna but that won't be tonight
To see the edges fade between the light and shade
And we're chasing down forever, oho

kings and queens, kings and queens

It took a little while to find it, to find it, to find it
It took a little while to find it, to find it, to find it

We've got a long to go but we got the energy

We've got a long to go but we got the energy
Waking to find that we are kings and queens,

kings and queens, kings and queens

Edited by Jacks-Son
(edited)

This topic is a discussion about George's relationship with the four women who are interested in a relationship with him! If you have not seen all the episodes aired live in Australia, you WILL be spoiled.

I have no clue what I'm doing and I wish the moderator would take the lead (sorry) but I'm anxious to know what others think about George and the Spice Girls.

I believe it was Busy Spice (Fiona), Arty Spice (Katie), Teacher Spice (Tracy) & Surfy Spice (Hannah).  I like that George is at least checking them all out, and that they are checking him out also. However, anyone who has been following the story so far, knows that only two of the Spice Girls are in play now. I wish to find out what ship my fellow posters are rooting for?  I am for one ship, but I fear that both ships are ruined now. While I like the one ship (I'm being very coy now), I feel that the shipee is too high strung and is determined about where she wants the relationship to go. While the other ship, is clearly hurting and wants George, I feel she is the best option for him. They have an easy relationship and are clearly comfortable with each other. I must admit there is a fifth edition to the club, and one who inserted herself under the radar. This has added sort of a "wrinkle" to our tight little family. What do our limited number of posters think?

Edited by Jacks-Son

I prefer Katie and George to Fiona and George. Though I do not really actively ship any of the perspective pairings. I feel like Katie and Gorge was over very quickly, but I like the actors chemistry with each other. So where do we put Jan in the mix? I did not mind Jan and George. I thought they had chemistry first season just over Skype/Facetime, but second season I thought it wore off, but that could be the writing/storyline. I did not love it. I can see why Fiona and George have a following, but I find Fiona a bit dull. 

(edited)

I've always been Team George and Fiona *ducks* but I wouldn't be surprised if they go with Katie as being the eventual person he ends up with. Regardless Robbie needs to be kicked to the side.

In regards to the 5th person I'm hoping she takes up Big Mac's offer because I love their chemistry.

Edited by Nadine
  • Love 1

Ahhhh, I can finally breathe now.  I'm team Katie. I love their easy friendship and it's clear she still would like to take their relationship further. It was painful watching her at the dinner party (which the writers made clear to us) and all the little comments by the others (especially Gloria's) brought her pain. I like Fiona, but she is too high strung and her desire to have kids will probably cause that relationship to implode. Katie already has Billie, so kids are not a deciding factor with her. Robbie (who deserves to be kicked to the curb) is offering her a willingness to have kids. George made a mistake by not trying to make it work with Katie. It was too little and too soon to try with Fiona. The problem is, what happens now. Fiona is not calling it quits on their relationship and is holding out hope that George will come around. LOL, George should have read that "questionnaire".

Jan, is a BIG no! They're friends but not that kind of friend. I think the father of the baby is that Aussie guy. Certainly not Zack, who is full of himself.

(edited)

In regards to George/Fiona, if I was a betting person I'd say by the end of the season three premiere (2nd Ep the latest) they'll have split for good... so you'll get your way on that one. Because I can see Fiona swearing off relationships for a while after what happened. And that's not a spoiler, pure spec on my behalf.

Edited by Nadine

I agree, but there will have to be FOR SURE a grace period before Katie and George can give it a try or George will definitely earn that "Man-Whore" title they bandied about. Hannah was never an option and Tracey is with Woody, although I've never felt any chemistry between George and those two.

I still can't believe Jan slept with Zack and I'm glad George's brother is gone. What he did to Hannah is criminal, but that's our girl Hannah, in one bed or another, just like her dad.

(edited)

This topic is for discussion about season 2 episodes that have aired on PBS. The season starts there on January 6, 2018. Please use spoiler tags if you want to discuss episodes that have not yet aired on PBS.

Edited by paulvdb

As you may have noticed I have changed the title of this topic to season 1 discussion. Because people are not watching episodes at the same time we will be changing to discussion topics per season. If you want to discuss season 2 you can do that in the new season 2 discussion topic. Please don't mention anything that happens in season 2 or later in this topic, even after later seasons start airing on PBS. That way this topic is still spoiler-free for people who discover 800 Words later.

9 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

I liked how they incorporated that song within the episode. Is the artist a local to Australia? I've never heard of her before but I definitely like the song.

She's a New Zealander but they play her music a lot here in Australia on some of the radio stations because of her involvement to Hillsong Church.

Thanks. Its good that they're using local talent.  There was another song that I liked, I think it was playing after Fiona hit the six to win the game. I'll have to rewatch the episode to find it because I don't remember it off the top of my head.

Another thing I can't believe is that George told Siouxsie that he's in love with Fiona during the couples dinner. Had he told Fiona that? Rather quick, no?

Edited by Jacks-Son

Strong bonds!

I like that they all seem to get along.

Doing a season two re-watch and although MY preference is for George and Katie (she's hot!!), I have to accept that her relative hotness may make me partial. Fiona is high strung, but she does have her moments. Misslindsey says that the George and Fiona have a following; so where can I read about this following?

18 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Misslindsey says that the George and Fiona have a following; so where can I read about this following?

I read tweets back when the episodes aired that seemed to be a good amount of people rooting for Fiona and George. So I assumed that they had a decent following. Katie and George really did not last long for me to get feelers on where they stood in relation to Fiona and George. Besides Twitter, this really is my only place to discuss/read about the show. I do not know if there are big fanbases for either ship. Maybe someone in Australia or someone who sees more information on this show can enlighten me. 

I agree; one date does not make a relationship. That's why they should have gone out on that second date. I thought the reasons that they didn't were stupid. George wasn't a school kid. He deliberately sought out Katie and asked her out on a date. Her reaction was a thing of beauty (her mating laugh) and the degree she (hell, the both of them) put into that date in preparation, warranted a second date.

If I remember correctly, George and Fiona had sort of discussed a relationship in passing and George said he wasn't ready. When he finally felt he was ready, he didn't return to Fiona, he sought out Katie. They should have given it another try. Katie put more effort into the dinner party than she had since her first date with George. She clearly wanted to make another try.

That's why I'm curious to see where they go from here. I asked a question before but nobody replied: Do you think it was too soon for George to proclaim his love for Fiona, and why did he tell Siouxsie and not Fiona?

Edited by Jacks-Son
On 01/08/2017 at 10:52 AM, Jacks-Son said:

Thanks. Its good that they're using local talent.  There was another song that I liked, I think it was playing after Fiona hit the six to win the game. I'll have to rewatch the episode to find it because I don't remember it off the top of my head.

Ah my favourite episode of the show. The song is "Hey, My Love" by Evermore.

On a completely different note, Erik posted on his Instagram that he was cast in the new Storm Boy remake (Foxtel production), which starts after 800 Words wraps (in three weeks).

Edited by Nadine
On 04/08/2017 at 2:48 PM, Jacks-Son said:

If I remember correctly, George and Fiona had sort of discussed a relationship in passing and George said he wasn't ready. When he finally felt he was ready, he didn't return to Fiona, he sought out Katie. They should have given it another try. Katie put more effort into the dinner party than she had since her first date with George. She clearly wanted to make another try.

That's why I'm curious to see where they go from here. I asked a question before but nobody replied: Do you think it was too soon for George to proclaim his love for Fiona, and why did he tell Siouxsie and not Fiona?

Both George and Fiona agreed that they weren't ready back in S1 - that was when she told him about Robbie and basically the hurt he had caused her. It made sense for him to go to Katie at the point he did since had been spending time together, etc.

In regards to your question, I don't necessarily think it was too soon, it honestly depends on the person. The reason I don't think he told Fiona at that point was because they both wanted fun and not serious at the time, etc. (that of course changed when Jan's bombshell hit). That being said when he told Siouxsie it seemed to come out of nowhere, but as Erik said in one of the interviews that kind of thing can come when you least expect it.

Facebook and Twitter were the spots to go to while it was airing. It was interesting to see the reaction of those in NZ after it had already aired in Australia, because you were just waiting for those who weren't spoiled to be hit with the bombshells that were dropping, etc.

14 minutes ago, Nadine said:

The reason I don't think he told Fiona at that point was because they both wanted fun and not serious at the time, etc.

I don't know if I agree completely. Fiona did say she wanted to have fun and play it loosely, but then she hit George with the questionnaire the very next day. That questionnaire took the relationship in a more serious direction.

23 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

I don't know if I agree completely. Fiona did say she wanted to have fun and play it loosely, but then she hit George with the questionnaire the very next day. That questionnaire took the relationship in a more serious direction.

That's when her usual over-analysing kicked in, which is what Katie told George when they were talking about the questionnaire.

• Love 1

Yes, but claiming you want to have fun and then presenting George with the questionnaire belies your original intent. Anyway, I assume since it was the last question, it was probably the most important thing to her.  People tend to hide their real questions at the end. She should have broached the subject earlier. It shouldn't take Jan's pregnancy to finally discuss the subject. 

She's not giving up and I don't think Katie will either. It will be interesting.

21 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

Yes, but claiming you want to have fun and then presenting George with the questionnaire belies your original intent. Anyway, I assume since it was the last question, it was probably the most important thing to her.  People tend to hide their real questions at the end. She should have broached the subject earlier. It shouldn't take Jan's pregnancy to finally discuss the subject. 

She's not giving up and I don't think Katie will either. It will be interesting.

Just to clarify my comment there (hence I didn't go further into it above) - by George ripping up the questionnaire, was a way to eliminate her over-analysing (to keep it fun, etc). Even though by the time they broke up / went on a break they had been together for at least a month (because of the school year starting, etc).

That being said not everyone wants to raise the topic of kids up front, so I can see why they both avoided that until Jan's pregnancy popped up. I think it wouldn't have mattered who George was with at the time, that discussion probably wouldn't have initially been on the table (I mean as whacky as Woody and Tracey are, it took Jan's pregnancy to happen to raise the issue for discussion with them too).

Edited by Nadine

I don't think it even crossed George's mind about kids. That conversation wouldn't have come up. It was obviously on Fiona's mind. When she presented the questionnaire to George, he looked startled. So much so, that she wondered if she had scared him away. I agree, it's not a topic that crops up easily but neither does telling others that he loves Fiona. Knowing Weld, that tidbit will soon get around. More pain for Katie.

However, Jan's news brought the subject up. No sense in getting in any deeper if you already know that one of your desires will not be met. I can't see George being the father and I would hate for Zach to be the father.

4 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

However, Jan's news brought the subject up. No sense in getting in any deeper if you already know that one of your desires will not be met. I can't see George being the father and I would hate for Zach to be the father.

I'm going with Steve being the father, then by not surviving the boat crash she can take up Big Mac's offer to be a family. Albeit even if she doesn't take up his offer, there's a good chance she'll stay at his place since it's the closest thing to Sydney, etc.

The baby daddy is definitely NOT George nor Zach. Not George because that would kind of put a damper on his philandering. Not Zach because Zach already has Hannah, Ike, & Billy, plus he thinks he's a stud and bragging about how you're a stud is clearly not a stud quality. (nor any quality)  However, you think Baby Daddy dies?  Granted, he's probably a Red Shirt and cast to just be a corpse.

Do you think Jan would take Rae's place in Big Mac's family?  Wow, missing out on the man she kind of loves to settle for Big Mac who isn't even the baby's daddy! That might be too much for Weld. The whole town would explode with gossip.

What's the name of the Shay stalker? I notice nobody even mentions him. I think Dude is ready for some serious rubber room therapy with a strait jacket vest.

1 hour ago, Jacks-Son said:

The baby daddy is definitely NOT George nor Zach. Not George because that would kind of put a damper on his philandering. Not Zach because Zach already has Hannah, Ike, & Billy, plus he thinks he's a stud and bragging about how you're a stud is clearly not a stud quality. (nor any quality)  However, you think Baby Daddy dies?  Granted, he's probably a Red Shirt and cast to just be a corpse.

Do you think Jan would take Rae's place in Big Mac's family?  Wow, missing out on the man she kind of loves to settle for Big Mac who isn't even the baby's daddy! That might be too much for Weld. The whole town would explode with gossip.

What's the name of the Shay stalker? I notice nobody even mentions him. I think Dude is ready for some serious rubber room therapy with a strait jacket vest.

Ollie - yeah he is definitely a creeper. Until he was ruled out as not being a baby daddy, it was definitely a possibility for a sec there.

Jan and Big Mac were on the same wavelength level back when she came into it in S1 so the idea of them hooking up wouldn't surprise me at all. Well Rae's only pops in when she wants to (partly due to Nat Bolt being unavailable to film due to Riverdale too). :)

On 8/6/2017 at 8:20 PM, Nadine said:

Ah my favourite episode of the show. The song is "Hey, My Love" by Evermore.

That's the song. I Googled it and yes, that's the song they played after Fiona hit the six and they were walking towards the car after Fiona told Robbie she had a ride and then asked George for a ride right in front of Robbie. That's your favorite episode so far? That was a great episode. It was fun seeing everyone gelling. Embarrassing for some of the guys. I was happy for Monty and glad that Robbie proved to everyone that he was still an a$$.  I think mine is the Weld Wonder of the Second Date. Classic Weld where everybody is in the know and wondering when George would take Katie out for that second date. I also like Guy Fawkes day when they were all sitting around the picnic table and explaining their thoughts about George. I never thought about women just sitting around and plainly sharing their thoughts about a guy. Us guys do it, but we tend to think that women would much rather keep such thoughts to themselves. Especially from those who they're in competition with. Poor Hannah, trying to hang with the big girls.

• Love 1

Hi all, it is ok if a conversation sometimes drifts a bit off-topic from the subject of the thread for a couple of posts. But by now most of the latest posts have had nothing or very little to do with 800 Words in the media. I think this discussion fits better in the season discussion thread, so please continue it there.

On 08/08/2017 at 7:24 PM, paulvdb said:

Hi all, it is ok if a conversation sometimes drifts a bit off-topic from the subject of the thread for a couple of posts. But by now most of the latest posts have had nothing or very little to do with 800 Words in the media. I think this discussion fits better in the season discussion thread, so please continue it there.

Gotcha - to be fair my previous post did mention Erik's new project :)

LOL, yeah, we strayed. It's kind of hard to stay on topic when you're free-wheeling back and forth. Sorry.  So........any word on when S3 starts yet?  Yahoo7 has crap for news. Just video clips from different eps. Although there was an interesting video by Michelle Langstone on what she would like to see happen in S3. 

p.s. Lame attempt at trying to get back on track.

55 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Gotcha - to be fair my previous post did mention Erik's new project :)

Yes, that part was on topic. :)

And season 3 start date will also be on topic here when it is announced. But so far I have been unable to find any information about it.

Hmmm, apparently there is a scam going on with "800 Words" S3 videos on YouTube. They're claiming that you can watch the 1st episode of S3 if you just "register for free". The site they direct you to sets alarms on my WOT (Web of Trust) plug-in on my Google Chrome browser.

The link itself is harmless, but it directs you to a signup page that has been listed as "Untrustworthy".  I have Mac laptop with extensive internet security software and the site didn't set off alarms except for the WOT plug-in. Just a warning for those anxious for a peek at S3.

Edited by paulvdb
removed link