Type keyword(s) to search

Line Of Duty - General Discussion

• Start Topic

just added Acorn while under self isolation due to virus.  Love the show.  in the middle of season 3 right now.  I love British TV......I have all but stopped watching American network shows because they become so tedious as they drag things out.  I've been alternating between this show and No Offence....

2 minutes ago, buttercupia said:

currently on season 2 on prime. it's good so far but I just want mark bonnar to read the dictionary or a phone book or some steamy adult novels to me

I know him from Shetland (and he *is* really cute) but didn't even realize he was in LoD!

So, in the penultimate episode of S1, DI Arnott got his fingers cut off, or so I thought.  I just started S2 (The Ambush), and he's not showing any mutilations.  What happened?  Anyway, this looks like a pretty brutal series already.  One episode in and they're 4 cops down.

I'm actually happy Hastings is in trouble in the current season. He has a a problem with female officers. It's especially obvious in season 4. His treatment of Lindsey Denton in Season 2 ep 1 is subtle but it's there. He's a chauvinist twat.

Seasons 2 and 3 are actually my favorite Line of Duty seasons. 

Regarding this episode the husband staring at Kate during his wife's funeral was disgusting.

• Love 1
(edited)

I just watched season 5 this past week.

I was hoping we would find out more about Lisa McQueen - why was she so bad ass and yet so not at the same time? Where did she come from, what was her story? 

I agree that the last episode, which was extra long, had just too much of that really long interrogation scene that caused me to doze off! I like Anna Maxwell Martin, but she's not the most energetic actor, so yikes, snooze city.

And - who was the person on the other end of the computer link before the police spoofed it? Are to assume it WAS Hastings? Because he got rid of the computer? So many unanswered questions, really.

Edited by Eliza422
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

I just finished watching The Caddy and that was a gut punch after the whole season.  Here the entire time I was cheering for Denton and, boom.  Arnott needs a vacation far away for awhile to get away from this cesspool.  Looking forward to the next season.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, nb360 said:

Could someone go through and indicate spoilers in the earlier posts? Thanx!

All five seasons have aired in the UK and have been made available in the US.  Season 6 hasn't started filming yet (I don't think).  Other than casting information, there really hasn't been spoilers released.

What are you looking for exactly?

I’m not looking for spoilers, I’m trying to stay away from them. I just started watching, I’m on season 2... there was a post here about someone not being innocent - I’m not sure what season it was in reference to but I don’t want to be spoiled...

5 hours ago, nb360 said:

I’m not looking for spoilers, I’m trying to stay away from them. I just started watching, I’m on season 2... there was a post here about someone not being innocent - I’m not sure what season it was in reference to but I don’t want to be spoiled...

Sorry, the only way you're going to avoid spoilers for a show that's been on for 8 years is not to read the forum until you are done watching it. What if someone starts watching it two years from now, or five years from now, can't keep everything under spoiler tags forever.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, nb360 said:

For shows with a single thread, I can tell you that once something has aired, Primetimer policy is that it shouldn't be spoiler tagged.  It can be tricky for those watching on a delay---even for those of us in the US who get the show after it airs in the UK. (Shows with multithreads are different.)

The only thing you can do is to pay attention to when the episode you're watching originally aired and not reading any posts newer than that.

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

For shows with a single thread, I can tell you that once something has aired, Primetimer policy is that it shouldn't be spoiler tagged.  It can be tricky for those watching on a delay---even for those of us in the US who get the show after it airs in the UK. (Shows with multithreads are different.)

The only thing you can do is to pay attention to when the episode you're watching originally aired and not reading any posts newer than that.

Ok, DCC, thanks!

I'll ignore the other snark.

Edited by nb360

So, S3 on AMC just ended.  Helluvan ending, too.  Kate must have watched a few episode or a movie or two of American cop shows.  It will be interesting to see where they go from here.  I do want to know who the "they" is that had Dot in the palm of their hands.  If he thought he was getting away, he was sadly mistaken.  If she hadn't taken out that car, his body would have been dumped on an isolated street corner shortly thereafter.

I wonder how long the actress had to rest between those takes of the pursuit.  I was somewhat expecting the Armed Police to be just another group of crooks, but she can't be killed off.

Note to self:  Watch all episodes all the way through.  Somehow I missed the end of The List, and during the "previouslys", I was struck dumb by Lindsay's demise.  I take it from the epilogue that they finally did decide she was involved in the ambush?

I know it said that Arnott still works in AC, but, if I were him, I would bail and find a job as a fruit peddler someplace.  That office sucks.

• Love 2
On 8/3/2020 at 11:09 PM, Dowel Jones said:

So, S3 on AMC just ended.  Helluvan ending, too.  Kate must have watched a few episode or a movie or two of American cop shows.  It will be interesting to see where they go from here.  I do want to know who the "they" is that had Dot in the palm of their hands.  If he thought he was getting away, he was sadly mistaken.  If she hadn't taken out that car, his body would have been dumped on an isolated street corner shortly thereafter.

What I did not get was why the person driving Dot, drove around in what seemed to be circles.  What the hell was the point of that?  Should they not be trying to get away from the area?  Just odd.

I am not happy that AMC only had the first three series.  I did not know that and I was waiting for the new season to start Saturday night.  This sucks, I wonder if they will show the rest of the show or not.  I was looking forward to seeing Thandie Newton (Hands down the best character on Westworld) and Stephen Graham (Loved him as Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire and for his work in This Is England ) on the show and now I do not know if that will happen. 

I have to admit it was tough seeing Keeley Hawes as the kind of, sort of villain.  She killed it in both seasons, but after being a fan of hers on Life On Mars it was tough seeing her play bad. 

On 5/9/2020 at 11:13 PM, Dowel Jones said:

So, in the penultimate episode of S1, DI Arnott got his fingers cut off, or so I thought.  I just started S2 (The Ambush), and he's not showing any mutilations.  What happened?  Anyway, this looks like a pretty brutal series already.  One episode in and they're 4 cops down.

It doesn't look like anyone came back to your question. I'm about halfway through the entire run. DCI Gates had a change of heart and couldn't leave DS Arnott to his fate went lights and sirens and the bad guys scattered for his rescue. 

From what I am reading about the city they seem to have an fallen officer rate riviling Hawaii 5-0 version 2 HPD or CSI's Las Vegas PD. 

That was a good opener. I've never cared much for Kelly Macdonald as an actress, but she's not bad in the lead role. I guess it could go either way that she is a dirty cop or a marginally competent cop who is being set up by her ex-girlfriend.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Dammit.  I just read that it has moved from Acorn to Britbox for Season 6.  I don't have Britbox.  I don't even know if I want to get Britbox.  

That's weird, Britbox doesn't even carry series 5.  I'm watching series 5 currently on Hulu.

12 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Dammit.  I just read that it has moved from Acorn to Britbox for Season 6.  I don't have Britbox.  I don't even know if I want to get Britbox.  

Got it for this reason, although I missed the part that it doesn't start until May!   Already had Acorn and they switched this year....thought I was covered...

On 4/5/2021 at 9:42 AM, sugarbaker design said:

Just finished series 3.  I need some time to recover.

I totally understand!!

• Love 1
On 5/3/2021 at 3:53 PM, Avabelle said:

I feel I’m in the minority - I didn’t think it was that bad. I also don’t for a second think it won’t be back for another season. 

I liked it!  Looking forward to S7-

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

For the adventurous. I found this online UK March 2021 article regarding the trailer for Line of Duty. I placed the item in spoiler tags in case some don't wish to know what the trailer and its Easter Eggs reveal:

The Line of Duty Trailer Reveals a Lot More About Series 6 Than Just DS Arnott's New Facial Hair

https://www.popsugar.co.uk/entertainment/line-of-duty-series-6-trailer-hidden-easter-eggs-48213535

Spoiler

"If you get a frisson of anticipation every time you hear the Line of Duty theme tune, no doubt you've been waiting for series six to drop with the same impatience that you waited for unscrupulous gutter rat DI Cottan to be unmasked for the nefarious scoundrel that he was. And whilst series six is a week away from finally returning to our TV screens, the trailer that dropped last week has offered up a lot of hidden details about the season ahead.

Not only does the trailer depict the next stage in the evolution of DS Arnott's facial hair, and confirm bets over whether DI Fleming's will have a bob or a pixie, it brings Easter to you early with a meteor storm of eggs. As reported by Stylist, dedicated Line of Duty aficionados didn't float up the Lagan in a bubble, and in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment at the start of the trailer, they spotted a magazine bearing a QR code. In a digital twist that allows viewers to get even more involved the show than their already overinvested selves could imagine, the code can be scanned. It leads to a PDF document called Operation Easter Egg Hunt and an apparently private correspondence between Chief Constable Philip Osborne (played by Owen Teale in the show) and DCC Andrea Wise (Elizabeth Rider), regarding the efficiency of AC-12, and particularly that of Superintendent Ted Hastings (Adrian Dunbar) . . .

Being privy to this level of involvement in the show is exciting enough, until you realise then when you hover over the bold "next" on the letter, it will takes you to a prescription for DS Steve Arnott (Martin Compston). If you remember, there was a stilted transition between series four and series five, where DS Arnott ended series four in a wheelchair after being thrown down a stairwell, to sauntering into season five upright on two legs like nothing had happened. Apart from a mad dash to detain Vihan Malhotra, followed by clutching his back for a few seconds afterwards, viewers could only construe that a miraculous recovery had ensued between the two series. However, the prescription is for ibuprofen and codeine, Pitradine, and Charzepam. Codeine should only be taken for short periods of time due to its addictive nature and the side effects associated with long-term use. Pitradine and Charzepam are brand names made up for the purpose of the show, but it's indicated that Pitradine is also codeine-based, and Charzepam a benzodiazepine; a sedative used for sleeping issues and anxiety. Has Arnott got a prescription drug addiction that explains the miraculous recovery? Or, is this a ruse and misdirection for something else entirely — something Line of Duty is exceptionally skilled at?

It doesn't end there; underneath the prescription is a sequence of Morse Code, which if you are able to work it out, leads to an unlisted YouTube video set in the Line of Duty universe. Here, a press interview is being given by Crime Commissioner Rohan Sindwhani (Ace Bhatti) that categorically denies institutionalised corruption within the police, stating that Operation Pear Tree's robust and thorough inquiries proved this. They know this is not true. They know we know this is not true. The news reporter in the video (played by newcomer to the show Andi Osho) also places further questions in our minds with her closing statements — this really is next level sofa detective work. Still, that is not the end. With the same level of excitement that we get from counting the number of times "bent copper" is heard in each episode, an algebraic code is found that bottom of "press conference" video; "(Hx6) + ? .xyz". Dig out your GCSE Maths brains, because if you can decipher the it, you'll be taken to yet another video depicting swiping hands deleting text messages.

The Tab went even further than Stylist and found that a link contained in one of the deleted text messages brings supersleuths to yet another video, where new series six detective DC Chloe Bishop (played by Austrlian actor Shalom Brune-Franklin) asks DS Arnott if he thinks there's a fourth man or woman out there before showing a clip of DI Fleming, possibly hinting that she is this woman in question. This could also be another brain-messing way of wrong footing us off course, because at this stage it feels like we are part of The Matrix. And, no, that's not the end of the Easter eggs.

Anyone who is maths savvy enough to break the code will then find themselves looking at a suspect board with the faces of suspects and bent coppers caught in the show so far; and they'll see a Post-it note containing yet more code! Add this new code to the end of BBC.in/, to create a url that deservedly brings the code breaker to the final video; a special video message from The Gaffer himself and even more hints about Arnott. It is here that the trail runs cold and all clues have been solved — for now.

Phew. That was one huge roller coaster. If that hasn't whet your police whistle for series six, we don't know what will. If you managed to get to the end of the Easter egg trail and the final video, then MI5 are clearly missing an employee and you're sharper than DI Fleming's cheekbones. Join us the day after each upcoming episode of series six — after the first one lands on BBC One on 21 March — for episode roundups and answers to important questions and which bent coppers are at the end of this byzantine trail."

I originally watched the first five seasons in a binge a year and a half ago and am disappointed I have to watch 6 in installments but so happy that it's back even if I do have to keep stopping and googling terms to find out what is going on.  (US viewer here)

Looking forward to episode two.

As a side note this series has seasons 1-5 on Acorn and seasons 1-6 on Britbox. And Season six intro says it is a Britbox 'original' production.

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
  • Love 1

Oh yay, there's a forum for this show! Just watched S7 Ep2. Kelly McDonald is a mystery - she always seems to play these stilted, repressed characters that I can never tell what they're thinking. She is quite good if that's what she's going for. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, buttercupia said:

Just started in on season 6 and I am boggled that they just switched Terry Boyleses on us and expected us to not notice. 

Not sure what you mean about it switching in Season 6.  

Elliott Rosen played Terry in Series 1.  Tommy Jessop played him series 5 and 6.

Did a little googling, but couldn't find out why Elliott left the show.  

(edited)

I'm curious about what people are thinking about the interrogation scene (episode 6, I think)--always such a big part of Line of Duty.  The slightly passive persona Jo Davidson adopts--her attempt to maintain that she's good and not a "bent copper"--makes it a little less flashy than some of those scenes, but there's a lot of subtlety in her acting.  And Carmichael is, of course, a scary icicle.  I watched a clip of Anna Maxwell Martin on a talk show, somewhere on YouTube, and she was giggly in a way that was startling, given how she is as Carmichael.

I also liked a lot that Ryan Pilkington has been played by the same actor since he was a kid.

Edited by marybennet
evil typos
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, marybennet said:

And Carmichael is, of course, a scary icicle. 

I loathe her. 

But I love Anna Maxwell Martin for making me loathe her so much.

AMM was very funny in season one (which might be the only season ever) of Code 404 on Peacock. The two male leads were also LoD alums.

Haven’t seen Code 404 but I’ll keep it in mind. AMM is always so good—great in Bleak House, in The Bletchley Circle, in Death Comes to Pemberley. Just seeing she’s in something makes me think it will be good because there’s been thoughtful casting. In LOD, she says the meanest, most dismissive “thank you” I can imagine. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/24/2021 at 10:40 PM, marybennet said:

IThe slightly passive persona Jo Davidson adopts--her attempt to maintain that she's good and not a "bent copper"

She convinced AC-12 but not me. I believe that she was forced, we were shown many times that she was distressed and she refused to put the blame on the innocent man. But she led Kate to the trap and would have walked away and let Ryan to kill her. Yes, Ryan forced her, but she claimed to be Kate's friend (if not more). And even that she then took the blame of Ryan's shooting, doesn't make her former deeds right. In short, she is weak.

On their run she showed Kate the printing office in order near Terry Boyle's flat in order show that she wasn't bent. But how did she know that there would be evidence in the office? Was she more deeply connected with OCG she confessed? And if she did know, she have failed her duty as the police office not to investigate earlier.

Then there was a scene where she pressed to lean the name of the informant and the to meet him. She must have known how dangerous his position was. Still, I rather believe it was Ian Buckells who gave OCG the information that got him to be killed.

Edited by Roseanna
correcting meaning
  • Love 1

How bent were the other characters?

Roz Hunter claimed that she was a good person and it's true that she didn't plan to kill Tim but defended herself against him. But she was willing to let two innocent persons (including her husband!) to be condemned.

Also, although it's perhaps understandable that she, pressured by her boss to get results and irritated as she by Tim's manner didn't read his message (at least carefully enough), she accepted too easily Michael Farmer's guilt. Even when she found the truth, she continued to get him sentenced, unlike Jo with Terry Boyle.

That she in the end informed on rel culprits, doesn't really redeem her as she already knew that AC-12 had evidence against her. 

She tried to defend herself by saying that "you would have done the same", but as Steve said "I would have stopped sooner".   

Tony Gates was guilty of "laddering" (choosing easy case and putting many charges on one crime) to get better statics and thereby to promote his career. As Kate said and we also saw, offers (like the old man who was constantly robbed and bullied but who had no witnesses) didn't get justice. On the other hand, there was also faults in the system of police (like too much paper work).

If Gates had been so good a copper, he hardly would have chosen Morton and Dot to his team as they weren't good coppers but indebted to him and therefore likely to keep silent. And indeed Morton was loyal to the end whereas Dot testified against him (clearly in order to cover up that it was he who had arranged the criminals 15 minutes for the the murder - it was strange that Hastings, Steve and Kate never doubted Dot's testimony).

Gates real plunge downhill began with his extra-marital affair Jackie Laferty. Although she had dumped him to marry an older rich man which showed clearly her morals, and he now had a loving wife and who daughters he adored, he couldn't resist her. A sad example how sex can win not only your moral but your sense!

First it was little thing he did for her although even they were perjuring the justice, but he continued even when the case became sinister and sinister and it was evident that she had lied him and when her lies were found out, she said new lies and that many times (her car hadn't accidentally hit a dog but an unknown man - and finally the offer wasn't unknown but her bookkeeper of her own). Only when he learned her money laundering and concluded that she had on purpose killed her bookkeeper because he had found out, he decided to arrest him, but she succeeded to change his mind by reminding him how difficult coppers have in prison and, before all, how his children would feel after learning all. 

(BTV, Jackie Laferty was among the most bent characters in the series. She lived in luxury, so why did she became a money launder? She was much worse than these small drug dealers who had no decent prospect in life! Before all, she lied and took advantage of her lover all the time and finally blackmailed him. I haven't found any redeeming traits in her. I can't even pity her for her horrible death for I strongly suspect that it was she who had called to OCG that Gates now knew all - how else would they otherwise come to her house?) 

Although Gates' deeds after Jackie's murder (or kidnapping as he believed) were externally more sinister, they can be better understood (and even a bit admired for his creative skills) because he was now in OCG's power who had put his had on the knife and even believed that Jackie was alive. But he had redeeming deeds: in the end he couldn't stand that Steve was tortured (and possibly killed) and saved him. And finally he revealed Tommy Hunter and killed himself so that his family could have a secure life (and probably his wife allowed their daughters to keep their good image of their dad).    

• Love 5

Great post!  I think they all have been bent, even when I find them sympathetic. The power of the series for me (in addition to the fun of it) is in confronting the way corruption corrupts—that good people follow their interests into doing horrible things to benefit or to protect themselves or even other people.  I don’t want to say it or even think it, but Hastings is corrupted by his taking the money for (I forget her name) cop widow.  I haven’t seen the last episode yet, and I’m wondering how they’ll deal with that. 

• Love 1