Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: The End of the Road

• Start Topic

This made up for a lot of ho-hum episodes this season. I hope it helps insure a third season?

I'm loving Cassidy (are he and Tulip wardrobe-sharing?)

OMG I almost missed the ending.

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 1

On the list of things I never expected to hear anyone say, I believe "Hitler, you saved me again," is at the top of the list.

I was glad Cassidy killed Dennis.

It looks like, as other posters have noted, The Voice is on the fritz.

What did Jesse think he was signing up for?  Why would he be surprised by anything Herr Starr does?

Damn, I wanted Tulip to kick some ass not get shot.

What the hell was that ending?  Jesse let Tulip die rather than have Cassidy turn her, so he could take Tulip to be resurrected by someone else he knows is just as shady as all the rest of these people are?

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 6

I really hope Tulip is not dead and can be resurrected! What I loved the most in the final scene is the blinkin' chicken crossing the road, very much alive all these years later! So there is hope -- if it's the same chicken (and I think it is). Although, I'm sure Ruth Negga is getting tons of really good offers these days, so she may be ready to bail. We'll see!

7 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

I'm loving Cassidy (are he and Tulip wardrobe-sharing?)

Yes. In the after show Joe G. explained that Cassidy doesn't care what he wears and he's been wearing a lot of women's clothes. If you leave something lying around and it fits, he'll wear it. He's taken Tulip's leather jacket and any number of other things. He thinks it's an interesting aspect of Cassidy.

It seems God is now "out of the tub." <--old TWoP joke.

• Love 13
8 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

Jesse let Tulip die rather than have Cassidy turn her, so he could take Tulip to be resurrected by someone else he knows is just as shady as all the rest of these people are?

I think Jesse knew that Tulip would still be human using his method. Will Jesse be able to pay the debt?

Why didn't Grail pick up the fallen camera, they could look at the monitor and know that it had fallen down. It had been like that for a long time.

Grail has 1% of Jesse's soul, how badly does he want/need it. Is this why the "WORD" is failing?

The God/Dog suit is hanging on the rack, does that mean that Jesse has known God most of his life.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Eulipian 5k said:

The funniest line was Hoover trying to save it all after being literally caught with his pants down: "You're out of moisturizer... (Oh sh#t its Tulip!)...bitch".

Took the words right out of my mouth i laughed soooo hard! That and jesse fighting using the guns filled with blanks were my favourite parts! Ejecting the clip and hitting the other guy was dope!

I assumed cassidy biting tulip was a nightmare and then because of that i thought him burning his son was also just a thought but nope im glad he didnt slide to "the dark side" along with his son so he does have some self control (strange for me to be proud of cassidy cutting his son out of his life). And the scene of him watching the video on the laptop was really good such a wide range of emotions on his face. It was funny how he sat in the back seat of the car just out of habit.

Eugene telling the guy his face was preexisting was pretty funny. I like the way they had jesus and his people and that guy talk so informally it made it pretty funny because its so strange to hear. And the girls walking by eugene after hitler booked it made me laugh too.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

It seems God is now "out of the tub." <--old TWoP joke.

Coined by the legendary Miss Alli. Is she still around somewhere?

7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Grail has 1% of Jesse's soul, how badly does he want/need it. Is this why the "WORD" is failing?

This whole percentage of souls thing makes my head hurt. So what happens if 1% of your soul goes to hell? Is a shadow of yourself being tortured, or just your big toe, or what?

• Love 6

Caught the finale today. Really hoping we get more, deviating from the source or not. Seriously . . . Hitler is among the living again! And I can't follow up on that because we're not supposed to go political. Best case? He starts a series of epic rap battles with Darth Vader.

I like the sheer absurdity of the series. Yeah, you can have Jesse take care of "terrorists," but then there are moments like Herr Starr (kinda want somebody to call him "Herrk Starr" one day) tells Jesse that he has his soul remnant just as the car sped off. Or Tulip and Featherstone having an unsaid battle of "I Know That You Know." Sadly, Tulip did not bring a gun to a gunfight.

Young Preacher Jesse was kinda cute. Sadly, it looked like he was in his own personal hell. I reckon the guys in the truck were also the ones that stuffed him in the casket. I know who they are from the comics, but I don't want to spoil here.

RIP Denis. You got too aggressive in the end. I don't know if he's hellbound. He did seem to prefer Shemp over Curly, which might not be in his favor. Y'know, after becoming a vampire and possibly eating a few women. I thought that was vague. Either way, he needed the Old Yeller treatment.

ETA because I have to: "I am Adolf Hitler! Commander of the Third Reich! Little-known fact: also dope on the mic!!"

• Love 3

Well, that was a decent end to the season, even if I think the season kind of puttered out halfway through. I keep wanting a road trip show, and they just keep staying in places! Granted, I much prefer new Orleans over Annville, but still, I think there was too much padding, and too much time spent separating the main three characters. Especially Tulip, who got left out of a lot of the action due to her kind of out of nowhere PTSD. I mean, I get that being beaten down by an immortal cowboy literally right out of Hell is pretty traumatizing, but he is basically just a guy. Guys shoot at Tulip a lot. 

I am positive Tulip wont even be dead for a full episode next season, or at least I hope so. I love her gun happy self. Also looks like we will get more into Jessie's backstory and his creepy family, so I am looking forward to that. I knew that Dennis was toast, but I still felt bad for Cassidy having to kill his son. His expression when he was looking at the website was really interesting. Also, I love that Cassidy sits in the backseat out of habit, even when Jessie isn't around! 

I hope they follow up more on the wardens/demons from Hell taking more and more power now that God is AWOL. For the most part,it previously seemed like God being gone wasn't really that huge of a deal, but now it looks like its screwing up the cosmic order, which does at least made the quest to find God a bit more important and pressing than it has been this season. Also, I cant explain why, but that dog costume seriously creeps me out. 

This show is so weird, and sometimes it can be REALLY meandering and unnecessarily disturbing and nasty, but its always unique, and at least I liked this ending better than last years. I will be back next year!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Well, that was a decent end to the season, even if I think the season kind of puttered out halfway through. I keep wanting a road trip show, and they just keep staying in places! Granted, I much prefer new Orleans over Annville, but still, I think there was too much padding, and too much time spent separating the main three characters. Especially Tulip, who got left out of a lot of the action due to her kind of out of nowhere PTSD. I mean, I get that being beaten down by an immortal cowboy literally right out of Hell is pretty traumatizing, but he is basically just a guy. Guys shoot at Tulip a lot. 

I am positive Tulip wont even be dead for a full episode next season, or at least I hope so. I love her gun happy self. Also looks like we will get more into Jessie's backstory and his creepy family, so I am looking forward to that. I knew that Dennis was toast, but I still felt bad for Cassidy having to kill his son. His expression when he was looking at the website was really interesting. Also, I love that Cassidy sits in the backseat out of habit, even when Jessie isn't around! 

I hope they follow up more on the wardens/demons from Hell taking more and more power now that God is AWOL. For the most part,it previously seemed like God being gone wasn't really that huge of a deal, but now it looks like its screwing up the cosmic order, which does at least made the quest to find God a bit more important and pressing than it has been this season. Also, I cant explain why, but that dog costume seriously creeps me out. 

This show is so weird, and sometimes it can be REALLY meandering and unnecessarily disturbing and nasty, but its always unique, and at least I liked this ending better than last years. I will be back next year!

I wanted more road trip to, but I agree New Orleans is better than Annville.

It seems it depends on the day of the week whether Tulip is smart and will smack men twice her size around, or whether she needs to be saved (which I don't like).

I was expecting Hitler to double cross Eugene or be setting him up or something.  When they got to the guy in the black robe, I thought this is it, but instead the guy jokes around with Eugene, and lets him go.  Then Hitler and Eugene are all hugs and smiles and leave Hell together.  When Hitler took off, I was wondering did Hitler play Eugene to get out of Hell, or was Hitler genuinely trying to help Eugene, and got a lucky break in the process?

I did like Cassidy telling Jesse, "There is something I have been meaning to tell you.  I hate you Jesse Custer."  That's been a long time coming.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

It looks like, as other posters have noted, The Voice is on the fritz.

Yes, but Starr showed Jesse that he had his soul in that little case, so I guess it's the 1% that was given to the SoK  not all of the rest of Jesse's. It's reasonable that giving up part of the soul made the voice go on the fritz. 

3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Young Preacher Jesse was kinda cute.

He was holding the cigarette the same way modern-Jesse was. Good touch. 

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

For the most part,it previously seemed like God being gone wasn't really that huge of a deal, but now it looks like its screwing up the cosmic order, which does at least made the quest to find God a bit more important and pressing than it has been this season.

I've been questioning whether it matters, so I'm glad the show addressed this. Though I also think this could have been an 8 hour season. There's a lot of padding. Things didn't really pick up until Starr came around.

It would be interesting if god left originally to find Jesse and set him on the path he is now. He would have had to have known that the Jesus line was a dead end. Maybe genesis was trying to find Jesse all along. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ganesh said:

Yes, but Starr showed Jesse that he had his soul in that little case, so I guess it's the 1% that was given to the SoK  not all of the rest of Jesse's. It's reasonable that giving up part of the soul made the voice go on the fritz. 

Not sure what has caused Genesis to go on the fritz, but it can't be that Jesse only has 99% of his soul. Right after Jesse gave the Saint 1% of his soul, he used the voice on him and made him get on his knees. 

• Love 3

Why didn't Grail pick up the fallen camera, they could look at the monitor and know that it had fallen down. It had been like that for a long time.

That seemed inexcusably sloppy for this organization, especially considering how anal Featherstone is. Very much, and annoyingly so, "this is needed to move Plot along." I can see Hoover leaving it but not her. (God bless that actor, he is HILARIOUS. "Uhhh....bitch." Oh, sweetie, nice try. )

Why did the chicken cross the road? To demonstrate that things, on Earth as in Hell, can always get more fucked up on this show. I liked that bit, because first you see young Jesse's background and his rage, and why he killed the poor chicken in the first place, and you think it's the offering he's bringing creepy Grandma. The at the very end you realize he paid a price to bring the chicken back because he felt bad. Jesse ain't the Messiah, but he's not as bad as he tries to be. 

From Denis's demise onward, this episode became what this show's always had the potential to be--finally I felt connected to the characters, like what was happening was actually touching and marking them. Cassidy's anguish in realizing that it was too late for him to be a good father, that Denis is truly everything that he's come to despise about himself since realizing he loves Tulip and still might  not be able to keep himself from hurting her, was fantastic.

(And can I just say that Ronald Guttman, who played Denis, was outstanding. He did such a marvelous job of being a petulant teen who just happened to be in his sixties, while slowly making Cassidy, his parent, realize that he's not just troubled or rebellious, he's an out and out brutal and unrepentant monster who delights in being so. )

Cassidy's feral glaze and rampaging over Tulip's body was another incredible scene. Again, it finally felt like everyone in the scene finally cared about what was happening. Jesse's as-usual routine of stopping him not because he hates Cass or what he is but because, oh, by the way my mama's side of the family has some seriously shady powers going on, did I mention that? I didn't? Well, that's what we're doing felt integrated into his character as opposed to just being really annoying at long last. 

(Also, throwing out the love for Tulip's stripey dress and gold heels. I adored that outfit. Am really pissed it has bullet holes and blood all over it now.)

Oh, Eugene; I know it was your innocence that betrayed you, but. Dude, it was Hitler. HITLER. Nobody on Earth can say they didn't know what FRIGGIN' HITLER was capable of! My husband was willing to forgive him; I understood why Eugene fell for it, but. Again. HITLER. That there was hubris, where you think, no matter whether you realize it or not, that the snake you picked up and warmed in your bosom has really changed, that there's something special about you that means HITLER isn't just using you for a ride. 

That's why it's so hard not to fall into sin; why no human is "good" enough to escape it. You think it's your better nature that can forgive Hitler but it's your demons playing tricks on you, again.

• Love 8

I died when Tulip incredulously asked if they should tell Jesse that they masturbated in the living room.

I had thought that Jesse was in on the scam with the "armenians" since he ran into the main armenian right before he went into the classroom until he actually tried to shoot them and saw the blanks. The fight scene was really well done though.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

ETA because I have to: "I am Adolf Hitler! Commander of the Third Reich! Little-known fact: also dope on the mic!!"

"I'm Darth Vader, Lord of the Sith. I got mad Force powers, you don't fuck with" 

8 hours ago, Snookums said:

I can see Hoover leaving it but not her. (God bless that actor, he is HILARIOUS. "Uhhh....bitch." Oh, sweetie, nice try. )

Have you seen Better Off Ted? He's amazing in that. 

• Love 2
On 9/12/2017 at 0:02 PM, Doyounot said:

Eugene telling the guy his face was preexisting was pretty funny.

Yeah, that whole conversation was great, I thought.  I don't know if he was supposed to be Gabriel, or the keeper of the river Styx, or what, but that could have been a scene in a Monty Python skit.

I thought for a moment that they were writing Tulip out because Ruth Negga had better things to do, but obviously Jesse has a plan to resurrect her somehow using the soul business on his mother's side of the family.

Frankly, I don't care for the sacriledgious nature of the show, but that aside I think this has been a pretty good season.

• Love 1

Here's a real oldies film reference. The music playing on the bus scene with Eugene and Hitler was "Everybody's Talkin" by Nilsson (at least that is what it sounded like to me).  The two male leads in that movie shared a bus ride too.

ETA  I forgot to mention the film - Midnight Cowboy

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

Here's a real oldies film reference. The music playing on the bus scene with Eugene and Hitler was "Everybody's Talkin" by Nilsson (at least that is what it sounded like to me).  The two male leads in that movie shared a bus ride too.

Lol, I didn't catch that (assuming you're right).  Poor Eugene, I wonder if he's going to get into any trouble for unleashing the evil of Hitler on the world.  I've never read the comic books, but it sounds like there could be several seasons of stories based on that alone.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Lol, I didn't catch that (assuming you're right).  Poor Eugene, I wonder if he's going to get into any trouble for unleashing the evil of Hitler on the world.  I've never read the comic books, but it sounds like there could be several seasons of stories based on that alone.

3 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

I didn't catch it at first but it's definitely "Everybody's Talking". What a great choice by the music supervisor! 

• Love 1

I don't know what Hitler thinks he's going to accomplish by running off. He's been out of the world for 60 something years and has no idea how stuff works. I figured he'd stick around Eugene for a little while just to figure things out. 

Maybe he'll enter a freestyling contest. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ganesh said:

I don't know what Hitler thinks he's going to accomplish by running off. He's been out of the world for 60 something years and has no idea how stuff works. I figured he'd stick around Eugene for a little while just to figure things out. 

Maybe he'll enter a freestyling contest. 

The way this show is, he'll probably try to restart his art career.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, PatternRec said:

Are we to assume that Hell extracted the 1% of Jesse's soul from the Saint and gave it to The Grail in exchange for getting the Saint back? 

Somebody did. Maybe it was hell or maybe it was the grail.

Finally got around to this, and damn, shit got crazy!

I figured there was reason that the opening act spent so much time on Teenage Jesse and him taking the rooster he killed to the shaman lady to resurrect, so I figured that was a set-up for someone to die and it end with him taking them there.  And then when Tulip finally found out the truth about Featherstone... well, nine times out of ten, I would still back Tulip in a screwdriver vs. gun fight, but Featherstone has clearly shown herself to be more then capable, so I'm not surprised that things ended badly for Tulip.  But I suspect she'll be back (after Jesse has to make a sacrifice that will no doubt cause issues going forward), unless Ruth Negga wants to move on, which is certainly possible thanks to that fancy Oscar nod and everything, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything (see: recent winner Mahershala Ali going back to television in the next season of True Detective.)

Not surprised Cassidy ended up killing Denis, because he was clearly out of control and likely wasn't ever going to stop.  Still feel bad for him.  Joseph Gilgun was great in this episode.

Good news!  Eugene is back in the real world!  Bad new!  The big old softy brought Hitler with him and now Hitler has already ran off, getting ready to do God know's what.  Dammit, Eugene!

I'm guessing Herr Star having Eugene's soul (or 1%) means he and the Grail are far from over.  At least I hope not.  Hoover is hilarious and Featherstone is a pretty fun antagonist.  And between this and just binging The Crown, I've been getting quite a dose of awesomeness that is Pip Torrens!

As their been any word yet on the show's renewal?  It is rare for AMC to cancel this early on, but weirder things have happened.  I hope we get an answer soon. 

• Love 2

I so need for this show to be renewed...hopefully (to bop in some real life stuff) Ruth Negga will decide that working with her guy (Dominic) is enough fun to keep going despite the well deserved demand for her talents because she is the perfect Tulip in my estimation and I love this series so much! (watched from moment one... and this second season was considerably better IMHO).

And I adore Cassidy (the character and the actor) too. The scene where he makes the fateful decision to destroy Denis was simultaneously heartbreaking and fearful.

• Love 4
On 9/12/2017 at 7:12 PM, TigerLynx said:

I did like Cassidy telling Jesse, "There is something I have been meaning to tell you.  I hate you Jesse Custer."  That's been a long time coming.

I thought he was going to tell him about sleeping with Tulip, which seemed kind of pointless, so I'm glad he didn't.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Miles said:
12 hours ago, PatternRec said:

Are we to assume that Hell extracted the 1% of Jesse's soul from the Saint and gave it to The Grail in exchange for getting the Saint back? 

Somebody did. Maybe it was hell or maybe it was the grail.

Hoover read the instruction manual, which Tulip then found in the Grail's apartment, so it seems likely that the Grail did it.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1

If the Grail did it, Herr Starr probably knows, right?  Which may be a reason why he pressed Jesse to use Genesis.  (Although, that was a valid question whether HS knows or not.  Jesse was in a perfect position to use it and didn't.  No one may know he tried and it fizzled but he and the audience.)

• Love 1

Starr held open a little case and showed Jesse the 1% of the soul as Jesse jumped into the truck to get to Tulip. 

But I don't think the SoK had his soul removed prior to his last encounter with Jesse, it happened after.