Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 Discussion

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Firefly did the Drugged Lipstick of Plot Contrivance (tm) better.  The only thing that would have improved the plot contrivance would be if Percy suddenly went over all woozy and faint because she snuck a frantic grieving kiss on LaSalle's Drugged Lipstick of Plot Contrivance (tm) contaminated lips.  Then it would have just been straight up homage.

In one of those world has changed moment since they now teach hands only CPR and Percy is on the relatively young side so probably got the more recent training in school the excuse when asked how was she drugged too has been taken away

• Love 1

Another crappy episode.  And is the actress who plays Gregorio pregnant or just have some weight gain?  It seems that they have her wearing tops that are loose in the belly area.  She's probably too young for a "menopot" but that kind of top is generally covering something.

14 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

the actress who plays Gregorio

Speaking of, this episode to me she seemed especially pushy for someone who has only been with the team part of a season.  It might also just be my interpretation, but she seemed louder than usual and that would stand out like a really sore thumb everywhere in New Orleans but in bars, etc.

• Love 1

Yeah, I think the writers really seem to push the NY stereotype of being pushy and loud. The actress really is from NY and maybe is a charming person in real life but on this show the writing and direction turn her into a cartoon but then this show appears to be turning all the charecters into cartoons.

The west bank cemetery where the final shoot out happened.....brought back memories.  My next door neighbor's family was buried in that cemetery.  Late October, every year, she'd go to that place to whitewash the graves of her family.  Then one year she got mugged, badly there.  Really broke her spirit.  The next spring, she discovered she had a fast growing cancer and she didn't make it to the following October.  When I saw some of the graves there that hadn't been white washed in a while, l remembered Irene.  

• Love 7

Pride finally admits he has a problem! Whohoo! Do this right, show.

Loretta was awesome as usual and there was a lot I liked about this episode. Danny was used well, especially drawing the similarities between him and Pride. The rest of the team working to save Pride's ass, following LaSalle's lead, was great. What an ingenious way to have the marshalls tracked - thanks for the creativity, show. Love that the marshalls didn't cave and tell Pride stuff he shouldn't know. And I really liked the doctor - she struck the right note of helpfulness and professionalism. Hope we see some more of her.

Wasn't thrilled with another Pride off the rails story but if this actually leads to change for his character, I'm down for it.

@enoughcats, so sorry about your friend.

Edited by marina to
  • Love 3

When I watch the Mothership, it seems to me that Gibbs' team is stationed at some Naval facility (yard) in Washingon.  Of course, that means that NCIS Director Vance is also there.  But tonight when that shrink showed up to interview Pride, she said she came from Telegraph Road in Quantico which is the location of the NCIS Headquarters?  She could have made that a lot simpler if she just told Pride that Vance was ordering him to talk to her, but there was no mention of Leon Vance by name at all. 

Have the writers on this show (and NCIS:LA as well) totally forgotten that they are supposed to be a part of the total NCIS television universe? 

• Love 6

I dunno.  I felt like I was watching the Romeo and Juliet version of NCIS.  I get being in love, but basically risking your entire team because of Danny's less-than-a-year GF? Couldn't get into it.

I did enjoy LaSalle taking lead as well.  His character adapts well to being in charge.

• Love 5

Damn I hate Pride like this. The character was so good in the first season.

I almost want then writers to have him diagnosed with a brain tumour or something, just to explain away his stupidity. Then he can have surgery, come back and be less of a complete asshat.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

Christ that Danny was irritating with his constant   "I would do anything to protect her........I love her.........Pride, you have to save her......" shit.   Best to stay calm and let Pride do his job.  I also thought that Loretta's  anger toward Pride was completely uncalled for. 

• Love 11
19 hours ago, marina to said:

Pride finally admits he has a problem! Whohoo! Do this right, show.

Loretta was awesome as usual and there was a lot I liked about this episode. Danny was used well, especially drawing the similarities between him and Pride. The rest of the team working to save Pride's ass, following LaSalle's lead, was great. What an ingenious way to have the marshalls tracked - thanks for the creativity, show. Love that the marshalls didn't cave and tell Pride stuff he shouldn't know. And I really liked the doctor - she struck the right note of helpfulness and professionalism. Hope we see some more of her.

Wasn't thrilled with another Pride off the rails story but if this actually leads to change for his character, I'm down for it.

I was also excited for Pride to admit he has a problem and start working towards change for his character. But then the promos for next week came on, and seemed like Pride was going to go off on his own, totally off books, all over again. Nice juxtaposition, promo-monkeys.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, threebluestars said:

Damn I hate Pride like this. The character was so good in the first season.

I almost want then writers to have him diagnosed with a brain tumour or something, just to explain away his stupidity. Then he can have surgery, come back and be less of a complete asshat.

First season. Hmm...that was when he was married , correct? I’ll never forgive the show for his ridiculous divorce. And I’d love to see Paige Turco again. His daughter hasn’t been around either has she? (Have they even mentioned her?)

i should disclose that I haven’t been able to bring myself to watch a single ep this season. I HAVE been following this board though. Perhaps I’ll binge watch during mid season hiatus.

i have also noticed that the commentary is wayyy down as the seasons progress. Other shows have hundreds of comments per episode...this one is lucky to get 15-20.

Edited by neuromom

Yeah, regular flavored NCIS has been on a long time and has acquired a big fan base by now.  I still watch it too.  NCIS:NO hasn't been around for nearly as long.  So maybe that's why it gets less traffic in here.

I didn't care for Pride going off the rails again.  But at least there is some hope that his character now will eventually change.  Though I think Loretta's talk to him really triggered that behavior in this episode. Not that he didn't deserve being laid into by her.  I mean, her son is stashed all nice and safe in NCIS headquarters.  You would think they would have people watching him.  Then when the kid says, "I have to go get some air" you just KNEW once he was outside he would run off.  And of course nobody would have followed him or knew where he went.

Will give this episode points for something a bit different.  Never considered some sort of chemical that they could be tracked by.  I think a bit on the far-fetched side that they could be tracked so precisely by that chemical in their clothes.  But I suppose not as far-fetched as some rogue NCIS agent kidnapping some rich criminal boss's son and going back to said boss's home to tell them he was the kidnapper.  So there's that.

I also don't know why they don't mention Vance more.  You would think he would have been mentioned when the FBI was leaning on them so much earlier.   And now apparently he wants Pride to get some couch time.  Even if Vance can't get screen time, it would be nice for them to occasionally mention his name and stuff.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, brgjoe said:

Even if Vance can't get screen time, it would be nice for them to occasionally mention his name and stuff.

I wonder if Rocky Carroll's agent worked some clause into his contract with TPTB that provides that he gets paid on LA and NO whenever his character is ever mentioned "by name".  Obviously, he gets paid if he makes a real appearance, but his unexplained absence in times of extraordinary crises is odd.  There must ab an explanation somewhere.  I always blame the agent. 

• Love 3

I literally have zero cares to give about Danny and how of course Pride is his surrogate dad (OMG I have totally never ever seen that before on an NCIS show!).

I'd give points for creativity on the Chemical Tracking of Plot Contrivance but it's really too reminiscent of the Drugged Lipstick from two weeks ago.

LaSalle leading was the high point. I feel like they could use his character a lot more.

Rogue Pride, again, something I have NEVER EVER seen before on every other NCIS (LA, NO, etc) episode ever written...

I watch all 3 NCISes and comment on all 3 forums when I feel like I have something useful to say, but I don't see a whole lot of overlap of people who post on more than one. Mothership definitely gets the most traffic. The LA forum got condensed into one thread for the whole season this year due to lack of posting.

• Love 4

I pretty much loved the last 5 minutes with Pride and Gregorio (also loved the DFS guy's smack down of Pride as well).  And, some pretty good self-awareness in his conversation with Loretta.  Of course, I was a bit confused when the team were all challenging him so obviously (nice subtle eye rolls there Percy)...considering they are usually like: Fuck HQ!  Fuck protocol!  Pride is our hero!  Pride is the only person in the world that cares about New Orleans!  And here they were all reacting the opposite of how they've reacted in Every.Other.Episode of NCIS: NOLA. 

Maybe that was the point...

• Love 2

One bit of dialog early on indicated that at least one writer had talked to locals.  When Gregorio whined as to why she should be the one undercover, the two old timers explained that the local scuzz all knew them.  

This is so true, from what a NOPD friend of ours told us about a sting they had done to try to protect Navy personnel coming ashore for Navy week.  Within a day of the undercover out of town police coming in, they couldn't make any arrests the second day, because all were known by the perps.  One day was all it took to ID the good guys by the perps.

• Love 3

I was waiting for the Artful and Dodger and Fagin to break into "You've got to pick a pocket or two".  I thought the whole
street kids make a family was hokey -  pathetic writing.  Little Man?

Aside from that, the B story about the team suddenly not being on board with Pride's plan - it might mean more if it wasn't completely out of the blue.  They've never not backed his "gut".

• Love 1

I watch The First 48, and almost everyone they bring in has a street name (sometimes a ridiculous one). Usually their friends don't even know their real name and have to guess at it. I find street names really fascinating.

Some of my favourites - Murda, Cheeseburger, Squirt, Uncle Junior, and the piece de resistance - Little Boobie.

Little Man does not hold a candle to some of the real street names people use lol.

• Love 3

That was... interesting and enlightening. For example, who knew that all you have to do to get a favorable foster care placement is have Pride talk to the guy at DFS.

I think Gregorio (whose first name does not fit her person, which is why I can't remember it right now, or possibly it's because I call her the name of someone I knew in college whose last name was DeGregorio) and Sonja are both smart enough to not try the "hey sista!" approach to getting a kid like that to talk. I probably would have taken the approach of, you don't have to like me, you don't even really have to trust me, but you do have to believe that this is happening and I could really use your help to keep this bad other time from happening, so throw me something and I won't throw you to the crankiest DFS worker they have. Also, how did Artful and Dodger make Mexican eggs out of the previously mentioned hot sauce and ice cream?

Sonia's moment about Pride, while totally understandable, would have meant a lot more if they'd built up to this point. Normally I could go for a good soul searching about impulse and it magically always turning out fine (since these are fictional characters, it wouldn't really bug me if their impulsive moves turned out wrong more frequently, like ever), but this one is really falling flat. Pride talking to Loretta about his team not trusting him might have been a start but then she's all, oh they totes love you!

LaSalle continues to be the best part of the team and I wouldn't really mind if everyone went away except him, Sonja, and Patton. Maybe Loretta and Sebastian but only in the lab, and both only for brief cameos.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, JessDVD said:

LaSalle continues to be the best part of the team and I wouldn't really mind if everyone went away except him, Sonja, and Patton. Maybe Loretta and Sebastian but only in the lab, and both only for brief cameos.

I am totally on board with this.

• Love 2

I'd even keep Tammy Gregorio if we could just retire Pride.  I'm so tired of his "know everything" routine, and I still get irked every time the Senior Federal Agent for the NCIS shows up to work in a sloppy T-shirt.  How about some professionalism to go with that superior attitude?

Maybe create a spin-off where Pride gets fed up with the government red tape and resigns to form a Private Investigators Agency.  As his own boss, he could devote 100% of his time to saving "his" city--his way!

I did like the portion of this episode when they revisited Clearwater Baptist Church and Pride as much as admitted that because he stopped Hamilton from destroying that neighborhood for his major development--all economic activity in that area has ground to a standstill, and some folks blame Pride.

18 hours ago, threebluestars said:

I find street names really fascinating.

Because this is the NCIS NOLA, this comment of mine fits here, in a warped way.  I used to read the Times Pic obituaries for the street names.  Not just the deceased's street names, but the deceased' offsprings street names in the obits.  With the occassional third generation of street names.  
Now we don't live there any more, the only 'street 'names we see are Ma Maw and Pa Paw and life doesn't make you wonder.  

16 hours ago, JessDVD said:

Exactly.  

• Love 1

I forgot to mention, were we supposed to know what Pride was talking about with the person he wasn't able to help when he was talking to the DFS guy? Did that have something to do with Hamilton? What happened with Hamilton? Who was Hamilton? The mayor?

My aging memory can only keep track of so many procedural details and this one went by the wayside...

• Love 1
2 hours ago, JessDVD said:

What happened with Hamilton? Who was Hamilton? The mayor

Yes, Hamilton was the mayor and I think they mentioned he was in prison in the season premiere. The one he couldn't help I think was some child (since it seemed somehow to be related to the current street kids), but I have no idea who or even if we actually know what/who he was talking about.

10 hours ago, UncleChuck said:

I'd even keep Tammy Gregorio if we could just retire Pride.  I'm so tired of his "know everything" routine, and I still get irked every time the Senior Federal Agent for the NCIS shows up to work in a sloppy T-shirt.  How about some professionalism to go with that superior attitude?

Maybe create a spin-off where Pride gets fed up with the government red tape and resigns to form a Private Investigators Agency.  As his own boss, he could devote 100% of his time to saving "his" city--his way!

I did like the portion of this episode when they revisited Clearwater Baptist Church and Pride as much as admitted that because he stopped Hamilton from destroying that neighborhood for his major development--all economic activity in that area has ground to a standstill, and some folks blame Pride.

Pride T-shirt attire doesn't bother me but I agree with the rest of this. Hoping they do a serious revamp of Pride because his tunnel vision isn't an attractive trait in a lead character. You want me to believe that Pride is this great leader? Showing him leading, not dragging his team around. Little disappointed in Loretta for downplaying that bit of self realization Pride had but then again, she gave him hell last week for his behaviour and then he saved her son. She probably felt she had to cut him some slack.

I'm also really happy we got to see the Clearwater fall out. Hope there's more that gets done with that.

• Love 1

I do give the writers a bit of credit in this episode because they allowed Pride's old friend--the DCFS agent to be a good agent--even though Pride did not like his "by the book" attitude toward the kids.

The old tried and true formula would have someone in DCFS be acting as the "Fagin" and controlling that whole gang of street kids.  I can't believe they did not give Pride the chance to destroy another corrupt New Orleans bureaucracy  and save "his city"  yet again.

22 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Because this is the NCIS NOLA, this comment of mine fits here, in a warped way.  I used to read the Times Pic obituaries for the street names. 

There is a thread New Orleans History, Culture, Music, Food, etc. in case anyone wants to use it.

On 11/22/2017 at 11:33 PM, JessDVD said:

Maybe Loretta and Sebastian but only in the lab, and both only for brief cameos.

I like Loretta (at least I like CCH Pounder) and would be disappointed if we saw her less.

• Love 1

Well this episode was a bit of a head scratcher, but I finally figured it out. First we are told Pride is seeing the therapist and everybody is saying he is acting much better. Then he promptly goes off the reservation again and doesn't notify NOPD or DCFS about the street kids so they can be taken into custody - even though everyone is telling him that’s what he should be doing. Yep I’m thinking that the therapy isn’t working out as well as everyone thinks it is.

One of the street kids is then killed and Pride is rather nonchalant about it. He's all "Oh well I guess I blew that one, but let’s not waste time discussing it cuz we gotta find the other kids". Then during the shootout at the park, he keeps telling Gregorio to wait for him even though the street girl is seconds away from being killed. Afterwards he starts berating Gregorio for not listening to him and I’m thinking wait, why is he dressing her down when she just saved that girl's life. That's when it hit me.  Pride didn't want that girl to be saved because he secretly hated those street kids all along and he wanted them all dead. That’s the only explanation that makes any sense at all. :D

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Rambler said:

Well this episode was a bit of a head scratcher, but I finally figured it out. First we are told Pride is seeing the therapist and everybody is saying he is acting much better. Then he promptly goes off the reservation again and doesn't notify NOPD or DCFS about the street kids so they can be taken into custody - even though everyone is telling him that’s what he should be doing. Yep I’m thinking that the therapy isn’t working out as well as everyone thinks it is.

One of the street kids is then killed and Pride is rather nonchalant about it. He's all "Oh well I guess I blew that one, but let’s not waste time discussing it cuz we gotta find the other kids". Then during the shootout at the park, he keeps telling Gregorio to wait for him even though the street girl is seconds away from being killed. Afterwards he starts berating Gregorio for not listening to him and I’m thinking wait, why is he dressing her down when she just saved that girl's life. That's when it hit me.  Pride didn't want that girl to be saved because he secretly hated those street kids all along and he wanted them all dead. That’s the only explanation that makes any sense at all. :D

It's plot, pure and simple. Had Pride actually worked with the NOPD and the DCFS from the start instead of stonewalling them the whole episode they would have had all the street kids rounded up before the episode was even half over and there wouldn't have been an actual plot. Pride's self righteousness is really starting to grate these days, and we can add hypocrite to the list.

On 11/22/2017 at 4:59 PM, morriss said:

Gutterpunks was a perfect description for those asswipes.

Seconded, and it's clear that the writers missed their mark since it's obvious they wanted us to actually feel for those brats. "Oh poor me! I could have a roof over my head, schooling, and three square meals a day but I'd rather live in squalor and commit crimes just to get by because reasons" was basically the entirety of any of their dialog. Anything short of outright abuse I don't care how terrible the system is and what these kids have to put up with, they are far far better off and have much more of an actual future simply going through the system than they will ever be on the streets.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Just got around to watching this.  

I guess I don't get the point of Pride going through that therapy if he really wasn't going to change his ways.   I mean, I guess he talks a good game about having to stop taking things so personally and having tunnel vision and all that.  But he completely throws all that out and does what he wants to anyway -- proper protocol be damned and stuff.

Not only should he have notified the proper authorities on those kids, but thanks to his incompetence, those kids were in danger.  You'd think they should be taken in for their own protection if nothing else.  But NOOOO...he has to do things HIS way.   That all being said, I thought that DCFS guy who was Pride's friend was unnecessarily pissed off at Pride.  He knows how Pride sometimes has that tunnel vision thing.  He even said Pride was the same 20 years ago.  So why is he all surprised at how he's acting now?  And why would he have the time to stroll into NCIS headquarters and round up all those kids?  Didn't he show Pride a stack of cases that he has yet to get to?  Why would he create even more work for himself?  Especially with him saying how much his resources had been cut.  That scene just didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Didn't much care for the guttersnipes either.  I did feel sorry for them when their friends died.  But at the same time, living on the streets and committing crimes against innocent folks isn't all that endearing to me as well. 

• Love 4

Write up: After Rita Deveraux (Chelsea Field) tells Pride that Douglas Hamilton (Steven Weber) is about to make a deal to get out of prison, Pride and the team rehash the Clearwater case in hopes of locating his mystery partner and spoiling his bargaining chip.

BOO HISS WHY DO WE HAVE TO REHASH THIS BULLSHIT AGAIN!??!?!

• Love 7

This plot made absolutely zero sense. The first three guys that were killed couldn’t reveal the name of the big bad guy? Then why were they given a deal and released from prison in the first place? And after the first two were killed, you would think the justice department would notice and maybe try to protect the last guy. And then you have an imposter federal prosecutor allowed to hang around a high profile fourth witness for a few days and nobody notices. Of course after the fire alarm is set off, you just leave one marshal to guard the witness because an assassin would never use a trick like that. Oh and Hamilton had no objection that the judge hearing his plea deal was the very person he was about to name as his co-conspirator. Too bad fake prosecutor had to go and pull the fire alarm as I feel that would have led to a very funny courtroom scene.

• Love 4

Ok..ok..I haven't watched in about 3-4 weeks due to being annoyed with Pride.  Last night I said..eh let's give it another chance.

AND THEN THE FIRST THING I SEE IS HIM TALKING ABOUT THAT MAYOR ??????!!!!!!

I couldn't get to the remote fast enough!  OMG I'm done...stick a fork in me.

• Love 2