Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E04: We're Sleeping Wear?

Drogo
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Nancypants said:

Heidi Klum does not have to behave a certain way to keep a man. She is Heidi.Fucking.Klum.!!  Gorgeous, Fabulous and LOADED.

She looks more beautiful this season than ever. Fresh and pretty.

And she must have gotten rid of the person who dressed her last year, (cause last season, I'm pretty sure whoever was dressing her hates her)

Meanwhile, I looked up her boyfriend, and I'm shocked that he's younger than her. He looks way older than he actually is and not in a good way. That, or he photographs terribly.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, beaker73 said:
On 9/7/2017 at 9:57 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Is it me or is Amy doing well yet not getting a good edit or favorable commentary because they expect more out of her due to her background? Last week I loved her versatile outfit yet she is seemingly going without notice. 

She may not be getting the best edits but I really like how they are using Amy as a voice of knowledge in the talking heads, like the stuff about Aaron dyeing his fabric and how that would change the movement.

• Love 16
13 hours ago, HunterHunted said:
  • Making a red carpet dress inspired by a work of art after spending a night in the Metropolitan Museum of Art like "From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler"

I love you for referencing this book. And also it's a great idea. I am one of those former children who dreamed of how I would spend the night in various museums after reading that book.  I think the Louvre had one of the Napoleons' bedrooms as an exhibit when I visited.

4 hours ago, Rhondinella said:

Is Heidi on speed this season?

Might be off topic (if so, I apologize) but I saw a blind item a while back that said Heidi was booger sugar-ing to keep up with her new man.

Although, as another poster stated, she is "Heidi-Fucking-Klum."

• Love 4

All in all, I was pretty bored by this runway.  I didn't think any of it was "fashion", none of it was anything I hadn't seen before, and there wasn't anything I would actually sleep in (I hate things on my legs and arms when I sleep, so generally just wear a short nightie or big t-shirt).  That said, there were some pretty things, and some very nice lounge wear.  The only things I loved were Batani's, which I thought would be great for a honeymoon or date night (but not to sleep in *ahem*), Kentaro's, which I thought was gorgeous, and Ayana's (so that's what modest girls wear behind closed doors, huh?).  I liked Michael's, but hated that criss-cross strap up by the neck...I would feel strangled.  So glad Kenya was safe; I just adore her and hated seeing her trying to hold back her tears.  I actually didn't think hers was that bad before her model untied the robe, but when she did...oy.  Agree that Aaron's and Deyonte's were awful.

On 9/8/2017 at 7:45 AM, mwell345 said:

I'm thinking that the twins go beyond "helping" each other to the point where one either designs or creates a look for the other.   Honestly, is it so hard for PR to have  a rule that  family members cannot compete in the same season?  Casting both twins the same season, even though they work together, is asking for trouble.   The other designers are annoyed, and I don't blame them - "sew my top" "thread my needle" "help me with my top" - it's very close to collusion as it is. 

I defended them on this last week, and I still don't think it's cheating, but it is really annoying.

On 9/8/2017 at 10:12 AM, sleepyjean said:

I am really done with Liris waxing poetic about her curves and her shape. What did she say? She's the Naomi of plus? Not hardly.

I'm kind of tired of it, too.  Actually, I don't really mind her giving a little feedback in the workroom, but I'm very tired of all the models talking to themselves in the mirrors.

On 9/8/2017 at 1:29 PM, Miss Ruth said:

I don't.

No, I still don't hate the twins either.

On 9/8/2017 at 1:52 PM, Tabbygirl521 said:

when one judge said of Aaron, "I don't know about his taste," I busted a gut. Yeah, the guy who designs peenie pockets and wears sheer knickers over saggy underpants is loaded with good taste.

The craziest part to me was that Aaron looked like it didn't even occur to him that it might not be an appropriate look for the runway until Zac commented on it, and then he was like "yeah, totally."

18 hours ago, dwarmed said:

Boy, is this show getting low budget. The ‘make your own textile’ challenge has been reduced to a craft project of fabric paint, stencils and stamps, instead of the designers making a print to be professionally produced into a fabric. Lame.

I got a big laugh out of the potatoes on the table to make potato stamps.  High end, indeed.  I think someone even used them!

14 hours ago, nb360 said:

Tim Gunn Save: I thought Deyonte would have been a recipient of a save.

I was so glad he didn't after the disasters of the last two weeks.  

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Nessie said:

The craziest part to me was that Aaron looked like it didn't even occur to him that it might not be an appropriate look for the runway until Zac commented on it, and then he was like "yeah, totally."

So if you lined up a bunch of guys you didn't know before . . . based solely on their fashion sense as demonstrated by what they're wearing, who would you pick to design something beautiful that you'd love to wear?

Tim Gunn

Michael Kors

Zac Posen

Aaron

Yes, it does matter what you look like.  Unique is one thing.  Totally ridiculous is something else.

• Love 16
3 hours ago, Beezella said:

Jumpsuits: You know, people have to pee in the daytime too. In Jr. High, I bought a very cute coulotte jump suit sundress with a built-in bra. Think Jr. High bathroom stall. I only wore it once.

and why I refuse to wear one piece swim suits. Wet, tight, and you have to pee......

20 minutes ago, Nessie said:

Ayana's (so that's what modest girls wear behind closed doors, huh?).

But I thought it was going to be mostly sheer except for a band across the breast. In the end it wasn't much sheer at all, was it?

And which was the guy who used cock rings and such in his intro? Was that Michael? Or is that guy already gone?

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, dleighg said:

But I thought it was going to be mostly sheer except for a band across the breast. In the end it wasn't much sheer at all, was it?

And which was the guy who used cock rings and such in his intro? Was that Michael? Or is that guy already gone?

That's true.  She definitely made it less sheer.  I still loved it.

And yes, pretty sure that was Michael.  So maybe that's what he was going for with the high criss-cross in the straps of his nightie...bondage-wear...like I said, I would feel strangled in it.  

• Love 1

I thought for sure the bloomers were going to somehow be part of his (Aaron?) look when they showed him in the workroom.  Which would have been different from everyone else at least.  But, no.  And I thought it looked better with the long flap out, not tucked in.  Maybe bec you could see more of the pattern.

• Love 1

No matter who the cheating "scandal" is about, one of the twins is probably still going to make a pair of glittery elastic waist boxer shorts and a short top with long, fluttery sleeves and a fluttery sash somewhere.  Shawn did that in challenges 1 & 3, and Claire did in this challenge. 

One way monkeys, indeed. 

They probably thought they were actually going on "Project PJ", and that's why Shawn's outfit was rated highly this week.  

• Love 8
4 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

I may be alone in this but I think spending the night on top of the Empire state building would be an adventure! I'd totally do that. A once in a lifetime urban campout of sorts. Why not do something a little whacky and out of the old comfort zone?

All the (in)conveniences of wilderness camping plus free jammies and a Sleepy Jean backpack? Sure! 

Even though I was the first to complain, I would do it too (imagine the honor of having them shut down the whole building for my group!)--if my next step in the morning could be a hot shower, then a real breakfast (not out of a bag, not even a bag delivered by Tim Gunn), then a long nap in a real bed for most of the rest of the morning.  My point was that I would not sleep, and then I would not be able to function without at least a shower (a morning shower is my version of coffee) even if my goal were to sightsee or drive home or something, let alone create something in one day for a competition.  

But then, I'm older than Amy by 10 years.  Imagine my decrepitude!  

Thanks to those who created and pointed out the new unspoiled speculation thread!

• Love 10
On 9/8/2017 at 7:51 AM, tiramisue said:

On Face Off there was once a special where the judges competed with each other. They had the same time constraints and had to do more than one look, but got help by previous contestants. It was so interesting to see them struggle and admit, that it was hard and how much time they usually spend on the different steps.

It would be so awesome, if the designers on PR would compete. Gunn, Posen, Kors, Mizrahi. Klum if she dares, I mean she calls herself a fashion designer because of her intimates line!

When Neville said: "Face Off is haaaaard" I lost my shit. We use that phrase all the time now.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, BloggerAloud said:

She may not be getting the best edits but I really like how they are using Amy as a voice of knowledge in the talking heads, like the stuff about Aaron dyeing his fabric and how that would change the movement.

This is a very good point. She has so much knowledge and I enjoy her commentary. I wish the designers had someone like Amy to mentor them...oh wait. There's Tim I suppose. Seems like these days he's more of an extra opinion rather than a mentor/coach.

3 hours ago, Nessie said:

No, I still don't hate the twins either.

I don't hate the twins. I imagine they are the sort who are fun and entertaining to be around...for a little while. But too much of them would be exhausting. If I had to work side-by-side with them for long stretches of time, they'd work on my last nerve.

2 hours ago, Nessie said:

That's true.  She definitely made it less sheer.  I still loved it.

I thought it was ok on the show. But now looking at photos afterward...meh. I don't understand what's happening in the back. And the print is pretty bad.

ayanajammies.thumb.jpg.dbda029e44dc838c2a319cf145c4235f.jpg

2 hours ago, leighdear said:

No matter who the cheating "scandal" is about, one of the twins is probably still going to make a pair of glittery elastic waist boxer shorts and a short top with long, fluttery sleeves and a fluttery sash somewhere.  Shawn did that in challenges 1 & 3, and Claire did in this challenge.

Claire's was another I liked in real-time and liked less in photos. It just looks messy.  If you slept in that, it would slide right off your shoulders. What's going on with the ends of the sleeves? And is that a pocket in the back? Why would you need a pocket in sleepwear? Or is that just a sad effort to include more of her print?

clairejammies.thumb.jpg.5e4ec8cd8c650c5e890d6963026043ca.jpg

What did you all think of Brandon's? I completely forgot about him.

I don't hate it for lounge wear. Not for sleeping though. And whatever he did to the top makes it look waterstained and washed out.

brandonjammies.thumb.jpg.d1e608a9a5e181543b6baac374e810b6.jpg

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 1

I absolutely ADORED Samantha's. I'd buy it in a heartbeat...even at $200. Now, there's a look that was made for silk. The flow of it was gorgeous.

Shawn (Shaun?)'s was pretty, but I'm sure every high-end sleepwear department in every department store in the country sells something almost identical to it. No design to it at all.

I haven't seen the cheating previews (we missed episode one...we need to go back and watch it On Demand), but I hope I hope I hope it's the twins.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

I have always hated jumpsuits and I don't understand their resurgence. Being basically naked in a public restroom stall is not for me.

Not to mention trying to hold your jumpsuit off the floor while you sit down on the toilet. You really need a whole retinue to wear a jumpsuit and use a public restroom.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, PoshSprinkles said:

If this is the source of the "scandal", then the other designers don't have a leg to stand on. The show has past precedence to show that they don't care who sewed something, they only care who "claims" it. If I had an annoying twin sister and she helped me sew everything I made and a fellow contestant tried to put me on blast for it, I would haul out my PR history book and list every person in every season who won a challenge with help or took the credit for someone else's work.

Is there a PR historical precedence on a team challenge, where the one doing the excessive "helping"  is helping the opposing team while sacrificing the time required to complete her own work on her own team?  If my guess turns out to be true, seeing Michael's comments as he flounces off the runway in protest makes me think the failing team loses largely because they were short a team member, while the winning team technically had an extra team member.  If that happens, and someone on the losing team is auf'd, I think they'd be very justified in protesting and for Tim to call it cheating.  I also think Tim would use his Tim Gunn save in that case.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, carrps said:

When Neville said: "Face Off is haaaaard" I lost my shit. We use that phrase all the time now.

It was also the first time we saw Glenn Hetrick actually sweat!  *LOL*  I thought his guyliner was gonna smudge!  

• Love 4

. However, unless the rules outright state you can't help someone or specifically state during team challenges you can't help members of the opposing team, then I still don't see how it's cheating. 

I think it must go without saying that you don't help an opposing team.  Do the Yankees need to be told they cannot help the Red Sox?

• Love 5

I'm thinking the cheat won't be so grey-area-I-was-helping. For Tim to get that pissed off, it's gotta be a big lie: more than a snitched idea. Ponytail's shirt week 2or 3 (to me) was the baldie's shirt from the first week.

I think Thing One will rethink her design then make a different top for post critique final look. Meanwhile the other is flipping her shit, so give the shirt to Thing Two, and Thing Two presents it as her own. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PoshSprinkles said:

I thought Leni's dad was some old multimillionaire. She divorced the stylist and then got pregnant almost immediately after the divorce with the rich guy, had Leni, and then married Seal shortly after. 

This must be right because if she'd had a kid with the hairdresser, Amy would have won.

• Love 4

I would have failed this challenge miserably.

For one thing, I believe the majority of women do not sleep in sexy and attractive sleepwear. We may put it on and sashay around it in to attract the attention of our significant other, but I suspect once the "goal" is achieved and it comes off,, afterwards we actually fall asleep naked OR don more comfortable attire for the rest of the night. In which case, whether it's full, has multiple straps, or is difficult to get out of should you need to pee in the middle of the night is irrelevant - because you're not going to be sleeping in it anyway.

Most women I know and have known throughout my life sleep in tank tops, sports bras, or T-shirts and undies or shorts (hot weather), and long-sleeve T's and perhaps jogging pants, leggings, or pajama bottoms in cold weather. Clothing that is close fitting made in fabrics that stretch is more comfortable because you don't have the fabric bunching up/twisting and inhibiting natural sleep movements.

So I think this challenge was particularly difficult, because its parameters went against what actually happens in the real world. If you design something that is truly practical that most women will really want to buy - and wear all night long - it's going to be very basic (i.e., a simple bias-cut camisole with spaghetti straps paired with tap pants) and win you the "It's boring, and we've seen it a million times before" comment. If you design something that's really stunning and unique, then comfort, wearability, and mass producing it become issues.

I thought the winning design was absolutely stunning. But I'd like to know how many of the women who buy it actually end up sleeping in it all night long (especially since the garment was produced as full-length, when it was originally designed as knee-length).  My money is on "very few."

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 20

Heidi Klum has trainers, nutritionists, chefs, doctors, nannies, makeup artists, hair stylists, assistants, etc. all at her beck and call. Of course she looks like that. I would guess that after spending 4 hours a day at the sole purpose of keeping yourself looking like that - anyone would. Her job is presenting the image of Heidi Klum to the world. Her livelihood, is being Heidi Klum.

Edited by ChiefWiggum9-1-2
  • Love 15
16 hours ago, Absurda said:

I think the twins are going over the line with their collaboration.  Asking advice is okay.  Asking if you can help someone finish their garment when it's down to the wire is fine.  That's individuals bouncing ideas off of each other while still working on their own, separate designs.  

Asking:  "if I do your top will you sew my pants?" is over the line.  Saying "I need to focus on helping her so she can then focus on helping me" is over the line.  That's a team producing 2 garments rather than 2 individuals producing one garment each.

We don't know yet what the cheating is, yet but from the previews it does sound like an on going thing.  In the preview Tim says "it's cheating and it's got to stop now" makes it sound like something that's been going on a while.  If it's the twin collaboration I'd be really irritated that the producers saw it going on the whole time and did nothing about it until someone complained. 

I did like most of the designs, even some of the safe ones so the bottom designs really stood out as being particularly bad this week. 

I don't understand why the other designers are being so meek about it.   Especially those who find themselves on the bottom, or even out the door.   By that point, what's the down side of calling attention to the fact that two contestants are taking unfair advantage?    If the counter-argument is that there are no rules against it, what's to stop this show from becoming a Survivor-like free for all with teams and alliances banding together to eliminate other designers?

• Love 6

I don't know what it is but Aaron comes across fake as hell to me. I don't know why. It's like he is trying way to hard. Ugh and his see through shorts. No just no. I don't need to know how small your penis is. 

I still love Kantaro. I hope he makes it to the end. But I do wonder did he understand why saying "anal" over and over was hysterical or did he just keep going because Samantha (name???) was laughing. Maybe we just never see him as a funny dude because the show spends 10  minutes each episode on the twins running around like chickens. 

Samantha was robbed. It's Samantha right with th green hair. Who wouldn't love to sleep in that. You can even just lounge around in her outfit.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, ChiefWiggum9-1-2 said:

Heidi Klum has trainers, nutritionists, chefs, doctors, nannies, makeup artists, hair stylists, assistants, etc. all at her beck and call. Of course she looks like that. I would guess that after spending 4 hours a day at the sole purpose of keeping yourself looking like that - anyone would. Her job is presenting the image of Heidi Klum to the world. Her livelihood, is being Heidi Klum.

None of which matters without God given good looks, hard work and discipline.

Why do Ponytail and Uncle Festa RUN around the workroom? Its Project Runway, not Project RUNAWAY,  dummies!

• Love 7

I sleep in my undies since I hate the feel of clothes on in bed so I'd be a horrific judge for this particular competition. I couldn't even imagine trying to sleep in some of those outfits.  And at the ripe old age of 39, I've been getting up at LEAST once per night to pee for a minimum of five years now.   It's not an over 50 thing, I think it's a post-pregnancy thing (amongst other things.)

I liked Shawn's design (although I couldn't imagine trying to sleep in it)  but I hate the twins so much I'd still be annoyed if she won.  And Aaron reminds me of one of those people that just tries too hard to be "different" to the point where the end up looking ridiculous.  The bloomers were just....no.  I'm glad Zack said something to him.

Also, I really love the shy guy who won last week (his name is escaping me at the moment) but all of his designs are starting to look alike.  Flowy pant, crop top (regardless of the body shape of his model) and nude-ish color schemes.  He's going to have to switch it up a bit if he wants to make it to the end of the competition. 

Edited by lezlers
  • Love 5

I don't think the rules are unclear. Remember, Anya won while having others do much of her work. The rules quite obviously don't cover helping others complete their work. They don't cover giving people direct instruction about what to do, or Samantha and Kentaro (?) are big cheaters. There's not one thing that the twins are being accused of that hasn't gone on before or isn't going on this season. And I intensely dislike Shawn, and don't really care for her sister. They still aren't breaking rules. 

I won't even pay $200 for a dress, let alone a nightgown. I guess some people have more money than sense. 

• Love 6
On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 5:11 PM, gibasi said:

I think this challenge was hard.  Just like bathing suits are hard. There is just not that much you can do. Pajamas or a nightgown and some designers threw in a robe.  Heidi specifically said for sleeping. So if you ask me that leaves out negligees and jumpsuits. Shawn's design had a tie (belt?) that hung down to he floor!  That would end up choking me if I slept with that thing. So that left it to people to do something with the fabrics. Hence the painting. And silk is not very  practical for sleepwear! It stains and water spots. If Heidi is using the toilet I worry that in washing her hands she drips on her pjs!

Many posters agreed with you, but I felt just the opposite.  I thought it was an easy lay-up.

Heidi wanted a pretty nightie and she made sure she was going to get one by offering limited fabrics consisting entirely of beautiful rich silks, satins and chiffons.  (Never mind that artsy-craftsy option--the judges didn't even mention it when the fabric wasn't manipulated.)

Back in my younger sexy days, I had a few pieces of silk charmeuse, er, "sleepwear" and I swear:  it's nearly impossible to look bad in that stuff.  It just ripples over your body like you're standing in a pool of molten silver.  Bulges and imperfections are disguised by the slipperiness and constantly changing light reflection.

True, it's challenging to sew--yay for the designer who cut on the bias--but seam puckers aren't going to ruin the effect of those models power-striding down the runway with the material undulating around them.

Note:  I'm not complaining!  I thought it was smart for the show to do that and spare us whatever sequins and gingham would have been coming home from Mood.  My girl likes to sleep in burlap.

• Love 17

Realizing I pretty much tune out the twins and their tomfoolery in the work room and even what they usually send down the runway....   I think as I said previously, Shawn's design was not awful, horrible, or otherwise bad, but agreeing with whichever poster (I'm so bad with names! Things stick with me when people say them, but not always WHO says them) said it wasn't fashion. It was perfectly respectable though and looks like something Heidi would wear for loungewear or even out on the town, so I'm sure that's why it was in the top looks.

Cheating scandal: (and I hope this isn't considered off topic, although everyone here is discussing and curious, as am I)  I, personally, do not think the cheating scandal has anything to do with the twins helping each other. It may yet be twin-related, but will be much worse than Thing 1 just helping out Thing 2 or vice versa. There IS a long history of people helping each other - from time to time - on this show. And as I've also said before, I think the twins' antics would barely be noticed by the other designers if they (1 and 2) weren't so loud and disruptive (falling, knocking things over, careening around corners, yelling out to each other).

Also, keep flashing back to the preview for that and it looked to me like someone was comforting Batani and she was crying so don't know if it had something to DO with her or if she was the "victim." Michael is a sweetheart so I could actually see him getting upset if he felt someone else were being "victimized."

I'm really anxious to see this though and hope it's not on the next to last episode before the finals. I'm planning to keep watching, but you never know.

• Love 4
On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:06 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

I'm surprised that they didn't show one contestant saying, "When Tim told us we'd be designing our own textiles, I thought we'd be using that computer program."

Hee.  In the season of JC Penney, Avon and "our" hair salon, you think they want to mention that the hi-tech fabric design program has devolved into a raw potato and a paring knife?

• Love 22
1 hour ago, Beden said:

My personal favorite example of this was in the 1st (?) season when Jay Somebody--then eventual winner--was helped by Austin Scarlett. Jay's model was MIA for the runway and Austin was slender enough to fit the outfit, a basically androgynous design for mail carriers so gender didn't really matter. When he was thanked by the judges for stepping in he matter of factly just said 'He'd do the same for me'. I thought it showed some serious class.

I loved that moment -- he's a real gent ; )

austin.jpg

• Love 11

I just thought of something else.

Weren't all the fabrics given to the designers to choose from silk charmeuse? (I looked on Heidi's website at the winning gown and neither the type of fabric or its care instructions were on the product page). But I thought I remembered someone mentioning the fabric was silk charmeuse during the episode...correct me if I'm wrong.

If I'm right, then buyers have another issue to worry about (more than just the gown getting wrapped around their legs or caught underneath them if they actually sleep in it)

Silk charmeuse wrinkles terribly. You make look sexy as all get-out when you go to bed, but you're gonna be a wrinkled mess when you wake up (but maybe that's a plus? Perhaps your bedhead won't look so terrible by comparison?)

But wait! There's more!

Silk charmeuse has to be hand-washed. In cold water. And hung to dry. AND...it has to be ironed after it's dry -

Yeah, Heidi....nowadays, people don't want to be bothered having to iron their DAY clothes - you know, the ones that most people actually see them in - let alone something they wear to bed.

I'm sure women are going to be clamoring to drop 200.00 on a high-maintenance nightgown, right? And she was worried about whether women would be able to remove some of the designs quickly enough in the middle of the night so they could pee. Spoken like one who's probably never had to hand-wash, hang to dry, and then iron one single thing her entire life.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 11

Many years ago, I read an article about Tom Cruise while he was filming the remake of "War of the Worlds."  The action of the film pretty much took place over the course of only a day or so.  He wore a shirt and pair of jeans, which was his entire "costume" for the months of filming.  Mr. Cruise refused to wear the same pair of jeans twice.  Forget having someone else wash, dry, and press them.  He just wasn't having it.  Every day when he arrived on set, they had to have an identical new pair of jeans (and probably a shirt), already "pre-dirtied" to reflect the filming that day.  Those jeans were $168 per pair.  And he wore them ONCE.

I've often suspected that the Cruises and Kardashians of this world don't even bother to have their servants wash their undies.  I think they're a "one and done" situation.  Put on a brand new pair, wear them that day, then throw them away.

Maybe that's why Heidi doesn't care about the fabric or the price.  We are NOT part of her target audience.  Kim, Khloe, etc., are.  

• Love 3

The winning look was really lovely overall, but I would never wear something that came that high up under my neck.  It puzzled me that they picked on another designer for the front coming up too high when it was noticeably lower than Michael's.  Then again, why would inconsistent judging on PR be a surprise at this point?  

Enjoying the season so far, but those twins....  Maybe it was "cheating" to oh, lock one in the closet for a few hours? But at least they're just annoying, not pathological like some past contestants.  

• Love 3

I love Heidi. I think she has a cute, funny personality and she knows what she likes. I am not crazy about her red carpet choices but she always looks great in casual clothes when she is photographed at airports, etc...I don't think this show would be any good without her. Alyssa Milano was no substitute for Heidi. 

It was her line they were designing for, so she had every right to choose the fabric. Also I think she knows silk is tricky to deal with and wanted to challenge them.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, candall said:

Hee.  In the season of JC Penney, Avon and "our" hair salon, you think they want to mention that the hi-tech fabric design program has devolved into a raw potato and a paring knife?

At this point I'm somewhat surprised that they provided a paring knife for the damn potato . (that is pretty high tech for this season). 

At this point in this low rent season ..Why not make the designers GNAW the raw potato into the desired shape? 

Perhaps paring knife came from the JCPenney accessory wall. Use it THOUGHTFULLY!

• Love 19
11 hours ago, PepperMonkey said:

Beden: Jay McCarroll. Still my favourite runway/finale show EVER.

Thank you; I'm terrible with names and no disrespect was meant. And yes--he and the others that year were stellar. Okay, Wendy Pepper not as much but still--seriously good stuff on the runway that year.

Weren't all the fabrics given to the designers to choose from silk charmeuse? (I looked on Heidi's website at the winning gown and neither the type of fabric or its care instructions were on the product page). But I thought I remembered someone mentioning the fabric was silk charmeuse during the episode...correct me if I'm wrong.

I honestly don't remember if anyone actually said that the fabric was silk or not. It's possible that it was a synthetic, some of which are remarkably good substitutes. It's possible.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Beden said:

Thank you; I'm terrible with names and no disrespect was meant. And yes--he and the others that year were stellar. Okay, Wendy Pepper not as much but still--seriously good stuff on the runway that year.

Heh, even if Wendy Pepper was hella annoying her designs weren't awful for the most part -- just matronly -- and they were impeccably sewn.

• Love 2
On 9/9/2017 at 2:31 PM, Nessie said:

I'm kind of tired of it, too.  Actually, I don't really mind her giving a little feedback in the workroom, but I'm very tired of all the models talking to themselves in the mirrors.

It would be great if they had a snarky mirror that talked back to them, like some twisted version of "Mirror, mirror on the wall," even if all it did was Muttley-laugh at statements like "the Naomi of plus."

ETA: Ideally, the mirror would be played by Michael Kors.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 16

Wait a minute.

Wasn't the theme of this season to design for women of all sizes, up to size 22? "Real women"?

If that's the case, why is the winning sleepwear design only offered up to size XL, which according to the size chart (sleepwear isn't listed, so I used the "camisole" size chart, because the gown is most fitted in the bust) fits a bust measurement up to 102 cm (40 in)? According to my research, a size 22 US corresponds to a bust measurement of roughly 48 in.!

Why are they pushing the "size diversity" stuff if the winning designs from the challenges (in which the prize is having the garment produced and sold) aren't being produced in the same size range as the designers are being required to design for?

Kind of makes it seem Project Runway is just paying lip service to the whole "real women" thing.

Edit: I may be wrong here. It seems I read the camisole size chart incorrectly and the measurement given (98-102 cm/40 in) for size XL is actually the over-bust measurement, not the bust measurement. I'm not plus-size (I'm actually the exact OPPOSITE), so I don't know whether the 48 in. measurement as "standard" for size 22 is accurate (again, the bust measurement for size 22 isn't on the size chart on Heidi's site for camisoles and such - I found that info elsewhere as a "general" measurement for size 22).

Are there any women here who hover around the size 22 range who can shed some light on whether the over-bust measurement (40 in) is reasonable for a size 22, and what the corresponding bust measurement for that size likely is?

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 8
On 9/8/2017 at 7:41 PM, dwarmed said:

I loved that, too. I was expecting a bad review after that look, but it was really just Nina having no patience with Shawn’s blather.

I don’t think the other designers would even mind that the twins collaborate so much, if they would only do so quietly and stop being so annoying. It’s not like they are sweeping all the top spots with their designs. The worst part is that they are constantly disturbing the other designers with their loudness and running around. Since Shawn has been designing pajamas for every challenge, she just got lucky this time. I'm not seeing a lot of wins in their future.

Boy, is this show getting low budget. The ‘make your own textile’ challenge has been reduced to a craft project of fabric paint, stencils and stamps, instead of the designers making a print to be professionally produced into a fabric. Lame.

I love Kentaro’s response to Tim Gunn’s crude metaphor to call him anal. “I like diamond.” Take that, Tim Gunn, and stop trying to be Michael Kors.

I think maybe they fell in love with the craft projects Erin sent down the runway last season, and ran with that.  UGH!!!  

• Love 5