Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E04: We're Sleeping Wear?

Drogo
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, CaughtOnTape said:

When Demi Lovato made that comment about "sometimes you don't have time" I wanted to punch her in the throat.  

Hate it when guest judges start acting like the voice of authority.   It's so presumptuous.  And what was with her dark lipliner?  Didn't that look go out several years ago?

• Love 6

I think this challenge was hard.  Just like bathing suits are hard. There is just not that much you can do. Pajamas or a nightgown and some designers threw in a robe.  Heidi specifically said for sleeping. So if you ask me that leaves out negligees and jumpsuits. Shawn's design had a tie (belt?) that hung down to he floor!  That would end up choking me if I slept with that thing. So that left it to people to do something with the fabrics. Hence the painting. And silk is not very  practical for sleepwear! It stains and water spots. If Heidi is using the toilet I worry that in washing her hands she drips on her pjs!

Edited by gibasi
All the typos!!
  • Love 5

Thank you to posters for reminding me of Batani's.  Honestly I looooooved it.

Personally, as a woman, I cannot imagine wearing more than underwear/tshirt/sleep bra to sleep, but I know that a lot of women do, hence, the challenge I guess.  

I noticed that Joe Fresh has been selling "sleep bras" lately.  I bought one and became obsessed.  I have 5 now.  that's what I sleep in on top.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Absurda said:

I think the twins are going over the line with their collaboration.  Asking advice is okay.  Asking if you can help someone finish their garment when it's down to the wire is fine.  That's individuals bouncing ideas off of each other while still working on their own, separate designs.  

Asking:  "if I do your top will you sew my pants?" is over the line.  Saying "I need to focus on helping her so she can then focus on helping me" is over the line.  That's a team producing 2 garments rather than 2 individuals producing one garment each.

We don't know yet what the cheating is, yet but from the previews it does sound like an on going thing.  In the preview Tim says "it's cheating and it's got to stop now" makes it sound like something that's been going on a while.  If it's the twin collaboration I'd be really irritated that the producers saw it going on the whole time and did nothing about it until someone complained. 

I did like most of the designs, even some of the safe ones so the bottom designs really stood out as being particularly bad this week. 

Agree with this. In individual challenges, we haven't seen this level of helping all throughout the challenge. The twins have each admitted to different personal strengths. So if they are each utilizing their strengths in each of their garments, you have the significant benefit of two people working on one garment. If the work is actually close to 50% each per garment, that is really something.

ETA: I'm not predicting this as the "cheating" scandal. I'm just commenting in general that I think it's iffy. I haven't even seen the preview with Tim Gunn getting upset about some sort of cheating. 

Edited by VMepicgrl
  • Love 8
20 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Nina's face while Shawn was droning on was made of win. I'm not a huge Nina fan, but the look said it all. 

I loved that, too. I was expecting a bad review after that look, but it was really just Nina having no patience with Shawn’s blather.

I don’t think the other designers would even mind that the twins collaborate so much, if they would only do so quietly and stop being so annoying. It’s not like they are sweeping all the top spots with their designs. The worst part is that they are constantly disturbing the other designers with their loudness and running around. Since Shawn has been designing pajamas for every challenge, she just got lucky this time. I'm not seeing a lot of wins in their future.

Boy, is this show getting low budget. The ‘make your own textile’ challenge has been reduced to a craft project of fabric paint, stencils and stamps, instead of the designers making a print to be professionally produced into a fabric. Lame.

I love Kentaro’s response to Tim Gunn’s crude metaphor to call him anal. “I like diamond.” Take that, Tim Gunn, and stop trying to be Michael Kors.

• Love 17

Watching the twins design process over the past few episodes, including tonight, it seems that Claire does all or most of the creative, design, and construction for the two of them.  Shawn seems to be mostly the gofer, "Thread my needle...Press my top".  Shawn's completed outfits seem to be more than 50% made my Claire, and it seems (imo) as though Claire's designs are suffering in the process because she doesn't have enough time to devote to her own look.  My guess for the cheating scandal is that it's a team challenge, with the twins being on separate teams.  Claire will largely abandon her own team and give more time to the competitor's team (Shawn).  Claire's team will lose the challenge, which is what we see in the teaser clip where Michael Brambila is shown storming off the runway saying "I don't agree with the way this went down!".  That's followed by Tim in the workroom yelling about the cheating. 

10 hours ago, Whimsy said:

Nope.  Looks exactly the same and it's $200. https://www.heidiklumintimates.com/deco-doll-slip-chemise

It goes to a maximum size XL, which the size chart shows as maximum hip measurement of 110 cm (43.3071 inches).  I'm guessing a few of the "curvy" models on this season's PR won't be able to buy it. 

• Love 15

Heidi was really, really, REALLY excited about them sleeping at the Empire State Building. Did she come up with that idea? Does she secretly maintain an Empire State Building fan blog? Usually she barely musters herself to the level of faux peppy. 

• Love 2

Roll over or catch your foot in one of those spaghetti-strap gowns, and SNAP!, they're down around your waist.  

The fabric Batani used was pretty, but as usual, her design is incredibly simple and completely basic.  A spaghetti strap gown with v-neck and pointed hem.  Wow, revolutionary fashion. *yawn*

Is there a Tim Gunn save this season?  Has it been mentioned at all?

No matter how the state of your bladder, you'd still have to take the sash OFF before you could use the bathroom in Shawn's jumpsuit.  Idiot. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, mansonlamps said:
10 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

Heidi is so goofy. Sometimes I forget how much I like her.

Lol, this is the reason she works my last nerve a lot of the time.  It all seems so forced to me, like a forty year old woman trying to be a cutesy preteen.

I like the goofiness too - it seems like the goofiness of a mom with four kids.  I would LOVE to camp out over night on the Empire State Building observation deck.  It's one of my favorite places in NYC.

I'm surprised so many thought this was a weak runway show. I thought they all did spectacularly well in a difficult challenge.  Sleepwear?  in SILK??!!? Look how many of them said how hard the material was to work with (true).   Even the  weakest did surprisingly well.  Aaron had a strong idea and failed because of his inexperience working with silk (not really a surprise).  Kenya's problems came down to the same thing and as the judges said, it's not like she just did nothing, she struggled to make her outfit and just didn't have the knowhow to do it.

I kind of felt like the show was trying to set it up that Deyonte flunked because he tried to please his model who wanted to show off her figure.  Dude, no.  It would have been a bag on any model and the elastic waist was a big fail.

I continue to be surprised at the skill level on this season, given that so many of the contestants initially looked like they had been cast for comedy value/lack of ability.  A welcome surprise.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 14
4 hours ago, dleighg said:

I liked how several of the guys showed up in what seemed to be identical "classic pjs" with the contrasting piping. I guess those were the ones when told "bring your pajamas" said "I sleep nude". I mean that's got to be a fairly common thing? (or at least for the dorm style living they are wearing their boxers to bed)

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 4.55.52 PM.png

I think they gave them those pajamas in a backpack when they told them about the sleepover. 

• Love 18
4 hours ago, dleighg said:

I liked how several of the guys showed up in what seemed to be identical "classic pjs" with the contrasting piping. I guess those were the ones when told "bring your pajamas" said "I sleep nude". I mean that's got to be a fairly common thing? (or at least for the dorm style living they are wearing their boxers to bed)

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 4.55.52 PM.png

Seems pretty clear to me that they were all given a backpack with their name embroidered on it and with identical men's or women's PJs and slippers (I hadn't noticed, but alas, now I do, that Aaron passed on wearing his PJ pants) and, later, identical sleeping bags and very.thin.mats and no pillows.  

If I had had to "sleep" on the hard floor of the ESB deck with just that mat and sleeping bag and no pillows, I'd have been face down in the dye tubs within an hour the next day.  And ugh!  I'm a city dweller, love NYC and my own town, not a germaphobe, but that scene of them waking up, for some reason especially Amy with her face so near the dirty floor of the observation deck...I know it's always crowded so there's probably not pee there, but there is probably plenty of spit and gum wads...and just particulate matter from air pollution.  It grossed me out!

I paused the DVR to talk to my husband when he came in, and it was in the middle of a dual talking head interview with the twins.  Their super-pink lips frozen into contorted enunciating-shapes as they spoke simultaneously--if Mr. Jobiska had ever been inclined to watch PR with me, I think he's scared off it for life!

I wish there were a speculation thread.  I'm pretty sure that the unfairness is well beyond twins collaborating.  It seemed to imply it was on a team challenge?  

I liked Deyonte's personality, but yeah, his first win was obviously a fluke in a situation that does not suit his creative style.  He was not going to win.  I hope all goes well with his growing family!

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

If I had had to "sleep" on the hard floor of the ESB deck with just that mat and sleeping bag and no pillows, I'd have been face down in the dye tubs within an hour the next day.  And ugh!  I'm a city dweller, love NYC and my own town, not a germaphobe, but that scene of them waking up, for some reason especially Amy with her face so near the dirty floor of the observation deck...I know it's always crowded so there's probably not pee there, but there is probably plenty of spit and gum wads...and just particulate matter from air pollution.  It grossed me out!

/snip/

I wish there were a speculation thread.  I'm pretty sure that the unfairness is well beyond twins collaborating.  It seemed to imply it was on a team challenge?  

I'm with you on the not sleeping with the gang.  Due to childhood trauma, I HAVE to be able to choose my own sleeping arrangements.  I can't even sleep in a tent because I can't lock a door.  I'd have been awake ALL NIGHT at the top of the ESB with a bunch of co-workers.

Here's the SPECULATION THREAD.  :-)

4 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

I think you can post your opinions about the cheating scandal in the spoilers & spoiled speculation thread.  Even if you don't have absolute proof, speculation is always allowed in those threads!  

2 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Here's the SPECULATION THREAD.  :-)

Thanks--but it says it's a spoiler thread!  I meant one that's just speculation, no spoilers, as some other shows have.  (If there is one, it wasn't there after the last time I responded to stuff about the cheating previews in a past episode thread).  I don't want to be spoiled, so I'll try not to talk about it at all, though it's hard when others have!

Edited by Jobiska
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

Roll over or catch your foot in one of those spaghetti-strap gowns, and SNAP!, they're down around your waist. 

...trying to imagine how I'd have to contort myself to catch my foot in my shoulder strap...

• Love 11

Actually managed to stay awake for most of this episode.

I loved Kentaro's. I would buy it and wear it and wear it both ways. It was all kinds of adorable. H A T E seeing Kenya cry. I liked a lot of the outfits, even Uncle Festa's, yeah, I know, I hate myself for saying that, but most of them looked to me like something that would have been worn to Studio 54 back in the day, rather than sleepwear. If it was to be sleepwear or loungewear, most of them were okay. I like Amy but I did NOT like her hairdresser smock/caftan. Amy will be gone soon enough because she is "old." Sure, she's Nina's age, but she's too damn old to be doing fashion! /irony

Deyonte was a nice guy and he will be missed, but yeah, I don't think the competition was right for him.

Also don't think the "cheating scandal" will have much to do with the twins UNLESS something changes drastically. I think the designers are tired of them talking and running and falling and goofing all the time but wouldn't give a shite what's going on if they weren't so disruptive about it. At any rate, I'm ready for it to happen, already, so we can see what's what.

This group - save Cue Ball and her ponytailed sis - are relatively drama free so far. I have not seen a lot of backbiting and immature antics. Aaron is just clue-free I think, and maybe didn't realize you could see all the way through those pants. I am not taking up for him and will go so far as to say KUDOS to Zac for bringing up how they were so distracting you almost couldn't notice his model's horrible outfit, but maybe that was the plan??

Looking forward to Thursdays, for now, anyway. :)

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, mwell345 said:

There's probably a third one hiding behind the JC Penney Accessory Wall

That's probably why Tim keeps saying to use the "accessory wall carefully"-it's code for, "Please dear GOD don't let the third one out!"

• Love 17

Aaron's bloomers: he's being so gender-daring by wearing those little bloomers and what do you see underneath them? Traditional tighty whities! Where's the androgynous revolution? He should have at least worn speedos. Also Aaron in those pajamas - that's just a shirt, there's no bottoms unless there's underwear or bloomers or both underneath.

The twins had to have been on stage - they speak like stage actors (as opposed to TV/movie). The projection and enunciation, indeed. I hope one of them tanks soon and the other one is left helpless.

Aaron's and Deyonte's bottom looks reminded me of unfortunate plus-size wardrobe choices I've made in the past. Also reminded me of the days when I weighed 75 more pounds than I do now and elastic waistbands were about the only option for inexpensive clothing.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, BryroseA said:

Heidi was really, really, REALLY excited about them sleeping at the Empire State Building. Did she come up with that idea? Does she secretly maintain an Empire State Building fan blog? Usually she barely musters herself to the level of faux peppy. 

Personally, if I was a contestant, I would have been a little miffed that I had to give up a semi-comfortable bed in a hotel room for a flat sleeping blanket outdoors, even it it was in the Empire State Bldg.

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Aaron's bloomers: he's being so gender-daring by wearing those little bloomers and what do you see underneath them? Traditional tighty whities! Where's the androgynous revolution? He should have at least worn speedos.

My guess is that Aaron was just going to wear the bloomers and someone in production objected and insisted he wear underwear.  Since Aaron probably doesn't wear any, and certainly not tighty whities,  they had to hustle up a pair from Wardrobe (or the corner shop).

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, shksabelle said:

Lord help me, but I did like Cue Ball's design. However, Heidi ripped Kenya, rightly so, about impracticality. Wouldn't Cue Ball's present the same problem?

So, because we hate Shawn she is "Cue Ball" and we like Kenya we use her actual name despite the fact that they choose the exact same "hair" style?  

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

So, because we hate Shawn she is "Cue Ball" and we like Kenya we use her actual name despite the fact that they choose the exact same "hair" style?  

Correct! LOL.

(I think it's the pretentiousness that inspires a nickname, not the actual shaved head.)

• Love 18

I don't know if the wonder twins helping each other is more than just annoying. I seem to recall seasons when designers helped each other because they wanted to. I bet the cheating thing is something else entirely.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, gibasi said:

I think this challenge was hard.  Just like bathing suits are hard. There is just not that much you can do. Pajamas or a nightgown and some designers threw in a robe.  Heidi specifically said for sleeping. So if you as me that leaves out negligees and jumpsuits. Shawn' design had a tie (belt?) that hung down to he floor!  Thay would end up choking me if I slept with that thing. So that left it to people to do something with the fabrics. Hence the painting. And silk is not very  practical for sleepwear! It stains and water spots.

You're right, plus the silk they were using didn't seem to have any give or stretch, making sleeping (at least for me) even more of a problem if you want to turn over or something. Beautiful, of course, but perhaps used for other applications. Of course, Heidi also emphasized 'sexy'...and as one designer I used to say; 'it tears so nicely'.

And as someone mentioned above, silk is hard to work with--it slips and slides everywhere, making a straight seam a challenge at best. I just finished a job for someone where it was insisted that I use velvet and line it with silk--talk about a pain in the ass. Both fabrics are a bear and together it's bear squared. Seriously--both are beautiful and feel wonderful but to work on them under pressure and without enough sleep? Crikey. My sympathies to the cast.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 14

I have not seen anything of Amy's that was attractive in any way.  This outfit was especially unattractive, didn't have any shape, and with the color really did look like the gown I had to wear for my mammogram.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

...trying to imagine how I'd have to contort myself to catch my foot in my shoulder strap...

I think they meant that if you get your foot caught anywhere (eg at the bottom) in a spaghetti strap nightie, the straps would break.  

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Rhondinella said:

Is Heidi on speed this season?

Heidi is 44; her boyfriend is about 31.  She's trying to look and behave as though she is young and energetic.  Kind of like Darcy on the new season of 90-Day Fiance.  Heidi is doing a better job of it, though, because she still looks fairly natural.  

• Love 3

I think the twins are on the show strictly for the exposure/attention like so many fame whores these days.  Most of their actions are just to gain notice, of any kind.  Look to see them showing up on The Amazing Race, Survivor,  The Bachelor, Big Brother, Dancing with the Stars or any one of the many cooking or home renovation shows.   Many of these shows even have ones dedicated to family groups...think Family Feud.  I think they consider this as a career opportunity just not in fashion.

• Love 6

I may be alone in this but I think spending the night on top of the Empire state building would be an adventure! I'd totally do that. A once in a lifetime urban campout of sorts. Why not do something a little whacky and out of the old comfort zone?

All the (in)conveniences of wilderness camping plus free jammies and a Sleepy Jean backpack? Sure! 

• Love 14
13 hours ago, crazyirishlady said:

Ok.  Tell me the truth.  Who in their right  Mind would spend $200 on a nightgown?  

I wouldn't but there is a market for it. When my daughter was getting married I took her to a lingerie store and some of the prices were way more than $200.

• Love 2
On 9/7/2017 at 10:57 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Is it me or is Amy doing well yet not getting a good edit or favorable commentary because they expect more out of her due to her background? Last week I loved her versatile outfit yet she is seemingly going without notice. 

I've liked everything she's done so far and think she definitely belonged in the top a couple of times. The problem is that she's mature and calm and that doesn't make good tv.  I'm hoping that once the field thins a bit she'll start to get some recognition.  

I giggled like 10 year old girl at Kentaro and "anal."  I'm really liking him  

• Love 13