Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E04: We're Sleeping Wear?

Drogo
  • Start Topic

On 9/9/2017 at 8:22 PM, gibasi said:

I think it must go without saying that you don't help an opposing team.  Do the Yankees need to be told they cannot help the Red Sox?

Well - we know that the Yankees didn't give the Red Sox any Apple Watches as gifts....   ;-)

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Hey Tim, the designers are not "creating" a textile, they are enhancing one.  Can't see any of these people coming up with the new spandex or nylon or cotton.

I criticized this one season when they used a computer program to design an image to be, I think, printed onto a textile. But another poster defended Tim. I still feel like this is not "creating a textile". Wool crepe is still wool crepe. Silk charmeuse is still silk charmeuse.

• Love 7

Silk is the WORST to sew! So is chiffon for that matter. Slippery awful stuff. 

I sleep in warm PJ's in the winter (hello, flannel) or just short elastic waist pants with a tank top in the summer. $200. for something to SLEEP in? No. Just NO. 

I did buy a shortie nightie for summer (from Target) and the straps keep slipping off and my boobs have a tendency to wander out. Now it's only worn when everything else is dirty. 

I can't wait to see the "cheating scandal" either! Smart move to put that out there and keep us all watching!

I really, really, really can not stand the twins. 

More of the lovely woman who is a teacher and KNOWS what she's doing please. What the heck is her name????? I've done fabric manipulation for years (like 30) and as soon as he started painting I was like Oh NO! Paint sits on top of fabric and makes it hard unless you had a fabric additive or use fabric paint. And even then it's still not flowy anymore. Dye on the other hand, sinks into the fibers and tends to be much softer. There are pluses and minuses to both but you need to know that!

• Love 5
19 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Edit: I may be wrong here. It seems I read the camisole size chart incorrectly and the measurement given (98-102 cm/40 in) for size XL is actually the over-bust measurement, not the bust measurement. I'm not plus-size (I'm actually the exact OPPOSITE), so I don't know whether the 48 in. measurement as "standard" for size 22 is accurate (again, the bust measurement for size 22 isn't on the size chart on Heidi's site for camisoles and such - I found that info elsewhere as a "general" measurement for size 22).

Sizes aren't standardized in the US so one company's 22 could be another's 18 or 28 or anywhere in between. Most women I know have at least 3 sizes of clothes in their closets (I know I do) and they all fit--it's frustrating and is often (though not always) due to vanity sizing. You know, you try something on and--'ohmygod--I'm a size 6!!!'-when maybe 20 or 30 years ago the same garment might have been marked a 10 or whatever. There's also a sort of patronizing or closed minded attitude regarding larger women whereby a size, say,  12 or 14 is their XL when 14 is generally accepted to be the average size in the US. I find that not only judgemental but flatout stupid as manufacturers and designers often remove themselves from a large and lucrative section of the market.

• Love 5
On 9/7/2017 at 10:41 PM, Nidratime said:

I'm guessing the other designers are going to get fed up with the twins helping each other. . .

I don't know why no one has filed a complaint.  These two dysfunctional dingbats are working as one person, but producing two (crappy) garments each time.  They both need to go.  They need a medication adjusment anyway.  

• Love 6
On 9/8/2017 at 11:41 PM, Lamb18 said:

The twins had to have been on stage - they speak like stage actors (as opposed to TV/movie). The projection and enunciation, indeed.

They speak like people who've had too much of the wrong medication for a loooong time.  They are also untalented jerks.  

• Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:43 PM, SnarkyTart said:

It goes to a maximum size XL, which the size chart shows as maximum hip measurement of 110 cm (43.3071 inches).  I'm guessing a few of the "curvy" models on this season's PR won't be able to buy it. 

To be fair, that's from the size chart for briefs/pants,  and the gown has more ease in the hips than briefs/pants would have. However, I agree, based on using the over-bust measurement from the camisole size chart, that a size 22 would not fit in the winning gown. So much for this season being all about designing for "real women."

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Sprockets said:

I don't know why no one has filed a complaint.  These two dysfunctional dingbats are working as one person, but producing two (crappy) garments each time.  They both need to go.  They need a medication adjusment anyway.  

I think that is the only reason no one has filed a complaint: their cheating only yields crappy garments.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I think that is the only reason no one has filed a complaint: their cheating only yields crappy garments.

They're also being too disruptive.  They need to be returned to the secure facility.  

• Love 5

Reading that article, the line about being prepared to be filmed at all times...did they conceive of this as some kind of act? They do dominate, while I struggle to remember some of the other contestants. If it's all calculated...they aren't smart people. They'll probably be successful, because the world is broken, but they're not all that swift. 

• Love 9
14 hours ago, dleighg said:

I'm a size 14 and XL is often just right. Maybe I like things loose, but I don't think a typical XL is going to fit a 22.

For me it REALLY depends. Some places rock the vanity sizing hard enough that I can fit into an XL. It also helps if the material is stretchy and cut generously in the bust. It won't fly with bottoms, but I could potentially fit into an XL dress in some brands and I'm a size 18. That being said, there is no way in Hell what Heidi's selling is anything targeted at plus women. Although I'm not her target audience anyway, since I find myself most comfortable in a plain cotton sleep shirt.

• Love 4

Okay, when the designers were told that they had to make their own textiles, I assumed this meant that they would be given tablets where they draw/design some kind of print and then it would be printed for them. I definitely did not think that Heidi and Tim meant that the designers would be given dye and foam paintbrushes. Has the show really fallen so far that they are now resorting to arts and craft projects? And they only gave the designers one day to create their prints AND create these sleepwear designs! So mean.

Heh, I had to laugh when Michael described Heidi as "very specific" as opposed to very picky and particular about what she likes.

I'm sure that sleeping on top of the Empire State Building is a once in a lifetime opportunity, as they kept saying, but it looked like it was so windy that I wouldn't have been able to fall asleep. I guess that's why they sent everyone home from the workroom at 8pm the next day - they needed to get a good night's sleep after that!

I know the designers all got pajamas and sleeping bags, but did they get pillows? It looked like someone rolled something up to use as a pillow so I thought maybe it was because they were trying to make do without a real pillow.

I also laughed when Kentaro showed his painted fabric to Brandon and said, "It looks like I killed somebody." I felt for him because I can be an OCD perfectionist about things too and sometimes that means I get stuck on something and can't get past it so I end up wasting time trying to fix it. Loved that both of them were still wearing their PR issued pajamas in the workroom. Samantha's giggle fit every time Kentaro said "anal" totally cracked me up. Aaron's suggestion to Kenya to take five minutes and have a Red Bull was great.

Although Claire and Shawn can be A LOT to deal with, I wanted to high five Shawn when she reprimanded Claire for talking over her during one of their interviews. That's a pet peeve of mine (in real life and on tv) so I was with her on that. Then I went back to not liking Shawn when Heidi gave her some very practical feedback in the workroom about not wanting to fiddle with a jumpsuit when you have to pee in the middle of the night and Shawn's talking head response was basically that she was going to do whatever she wanted. I understand wanting to stay true to your vision, but Heidi is the client AND she is a judge. If you don't listen to her during this challenge, you deserve to go home because she is not going to sell something that she doesn't like.

I know Heidi can be "very specific" about what she likes (short, tight, and sparkly) but in this case, she gave very practical feedback to the designers in the workroom that I agreed with. No, I don't want to fumble with a jumpsuit or fastenings if I have to pee in the middle of the night. No, I don't want a spiderweb of straps that I have to figure out how to get into. No, I don't want a bunch of strings on the top of my sleepwear that might get wrapped around my neck while I'm asleep.

Heidi seemed like she was trying way too hard to be funny or cute in the workroom though. I wanted to tell her to calm down.

I liked the color and print of Amy's fabric, but I didn't like the design. It looked very underdesigned, like she pinned a whole piece of fabric on the mannequin and then cut a slice on each side so the model's arms wouldn't be stuck inside like a mummy.

I hated the bland anemic yellowish color of Brandon's fabric. I feel like painting a few yellow stripes on the top doesn't count as creating a textile. The pajamas looked loose and comfy, but a little underdesigned and simple. I wouldn't wear a crop top to bed either.

I liked the blue color of Margarita's pants and top, which looked really comfortable. The design wasn't anything new but I don't really expect innovation for pajamas. At least hers looked like she put thought into her pieces (as opposed to sloppily sewing some fabric together to cover the model's body).

I liked Claire's bright pink color and I liked most of the actual design. The top was nicely draped (although I did wonder about the looseness of the wrap part. I don't want my boob falling out when I roll over in bed.

I like Batani's silvery purple color and I liked the design, but that nightgown was just a little too lowcut. Like I said, I don't want my boobs falling out if I roll over. Why didn't we get to see the back of her nightgown on the runway? I ask for very little from the runway show. Let me see the front and let me see the back.

I hated that Michael painted his nightgown on the side of each hip. I understand his art deco design but the placement on the hips was not flattering. And there were too many pointlesss skinny straps, the ones hanging off her shoulders in particular. I liked that Demi Lovato pointed out that the blush color will be flattering on a lot of different skin tones.

The elastic waistband on Deyonté's nightgown was unflattering. I also thought the fabric covering her upper torso was ill fitting.

I liked the silver pattern that Aaron painted on his fabric, but I was worried that covering so much of the fabric would make it stiff. The print looked better in close up. From a distance on the runway, the print just made the fabric look like it was wrinkled. The shorts were an unflattering length and I hated the elastic waistband. Weird that the judges said that the neckline was too high with the V straps but they praised the same thing on Michael's. which was even higher than Aaron's.

My favorite thing about Ayana's outfit was the pink robe. I didn't really like the drab olive color that she used for the top and shorts.

I was surprised that I ended up liking Shawn's print on the runway because I didn't really like it when she was testing it in different colors in the workroom. It was a cute jumpsuit but I wouldn't wear a jumpsuit to bed.

Kenya's purple and pink pajamas were cute but I couldn't tell if it was a romper or a top and shorts. Rompers are like jumpsuits for me - NOT pajamas. I think it was unfair of Heidi to point out how hard it would be to get in and out of this but she didn't mention this about Shawn's jumpsuit, despite the fact that she told her that this was an issue in the workroom and Shawn refused to do anything about that.

I am glad that Kentaro let go of his perfectionist tendencies because I ended up liking his print. I was glad when Heidi and Tim both told him that the paint looked good when it wasn't perfect. I really liked his nightgown. It was pretty, it was flattering, and it looked comfortable to sleep in. Man, the judges really pulled out all of their favorite buzzwords to describe this. Nina: charming, fresh, modern. Zac: effortless, playful, sophisticated, ambitious.

I liked that Samantha's pajamas were designed but not overdesigned. The striped hem on the pants, the stripes down the back of the wrap, etc. made her pajamas interesting instead of boring.

What the fuck was with the feathered trim on Nina's mandarin collar sweater?

I can't imagine how annoying it must be to have Claire and Shawn yelling and frantically running around in the workroom. I noticed in one shot, the twins were shown running out of the sewing room and another designer just stood in the hallway until they were done running by.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Elizabette said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.lansingstatejournal.com/amp/565138001

This short article is very telling about Twin 1 & Twin 2. I would hazard a guess that Daddy's connections have helped them every step of the way. And I call BS on them being into math, engineering & architecture beyond just saying so. Neither is precise in their measurements at all, and thus they are struggling to sew basic clothes. 

I notice that in one of the photos in the article that Claire is the one sewing and Shawn is just watching her--just like on the show.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was surprised that I ended up liking Shawn's print on the runway because I didn't really like it when she was testing it in different colors in the workroom. It was a cute jumpsuit but I wouldn't wear a jumpsuit to bed.

Responding to this one since it is the most recent. Do we know for sure that Shawn's final product was a jumpsuit and not a top and pants? Admittedly, I wasn't paying full attention to the workroom stuff. It didn't look like a jumpsuit, so I wondered if maybe she did end up changing it and that's why she didn't get dinged on the runway...

5 minutes ago, VMepicgrl said:

Responding to this one since it is the most recent. Do we know for sure that Shawn's final product was a jumpsuit and not a top and pants? Admittedly, I wasn't paying full attention to the workroom stuff. It didn't look like a jumpsuit, so I wondered if maybe she did end up changing it and that's why she didn't get dinged on the runway...

When Heidi raised her concern about getting out of Shawn's jumpsuit to pee at night, Shawn essentially said in her TH that she wasn't going to change it so I don't think she did. When I saw it come down the runway, I was even more annoyed because the blousy top meant that it would have been easy to make it two pieces without changing the look or silhouette and it would have easily solved the late night bathroom issue. 

I think the judges didn't bring it up with Shawn but pointed out the same late night problem with Kenya's for the same reason they criticized Aaron's neckline and straps but not Michael's - they liked a design that had a problem so they ignored it. When the same problem appeared in a design they didn't like, they pointed it out and made it seem like it was a huge mistake. 

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

When Heidi raised her concern about getting out of Shawn's jumpsuit to pee at night, Shawn essentially said in her TH that she wasn't going to change it so I don't think she did. When I saw it come down the runway, I was even more annoyed because the blousy top meant that it would have been easy to make it two pieces without changing the look or silhouette and it would have easily solved the late night bathroom issue. 

I did hear Shawn say she wasn't going to change it, but I've seen some reality show contestants say things like that but ultimately give in. That's why I wasn't sure. If she did keep it a jumpsuit, I agree that she was silly considering that was definitely a design that could be a 2 piece. 

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, VMepicgrl said:

I did hear Shawn say she wasn't going to change it, but I've seen some reality show contestants say things like that but ultimately give in. That's why I wasn't sure. If she did keep it a jumpsuit, I agree that she was silly considering that was definitely a design that could be a 2 piece. 

And thank you to the poster who pointed out that you'd have to loosen the belt to pee!! 

Perhaps they didn't point it out again, because they already had video of the critique given to Shawn and Michael. They may well have discussed it again on the runway, but only aired the earlier comments in the workroom. All things considered, Shawn and Michael had more successful designs, so why air the same points again? 

• Love 2
On 9/12/2017 at 10:56 PM, phoenix780 said:

Reading that article, the line about being prepared to be filmed at all times...did they conceive of this as some kind of act? They do dominate, while I struggle to remember some of the other contestants. If it's all calculated...they aren't smart people. They'll probably be successful, because the world is broken, but they're not all that swift. 

They would be better off learning how to sew, make patterns, and/or design, instead of gaming. So you are right, they aren't smart. 

• Love 3

The good news is that I really like almost all of the designers.  We have seen some fabulous looks this year.

The bad news is that if they don't get rid of those annoying twins, I am going to have to stop watching.  They are like fingernails on a chalkboard.  Please make it stop!

• Love 2
On 9/12/2017 at 2:16 PM, dleighg said:

I'm a size 14 and XL is often just right. Maybe I like things loose, but I don't think a typical XL is going to fit a 22.

I can guarantee you an XL won't fit "the Naomi of Plus" (who I believe lists her size as a 22 on her model card).