Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E18: Feeling Destined

Helen still seems kind of cold, like there's a sympathy chip missing in her brain or something.  Paul Sr does seem determined to go through with the divorce though.  I was surprised that Patrick warmed up to his father as quickly as he did and I'm not sure how I feel about that.  I mean, it's good for him to do that; however, I hope Paul Sr. is ok with that and doesn't feel like he's been tossed aside.  Superfly didn't waste much time grieving over Helen not coming to New Orleans.

Kara just can't stop being someone's mama, whether it's Mary Jane or Orlando.  I still think Orlando will get sick of her fussing over him, and even telling him what he should eat.   I got sick of her talking about the damn huevos.  

So I guess Justin does love Mary Jane?  Whatever.  At this point I really don't care about these two. 

• Love 1

Good to see MJ make a mature decision regarding the embryos with Lee.  Old MJ would have kept them and figure out a way to get implanted.  

Love Kara, but I'm also tired of this Latina huevos mami.  Original recipe Kara didn't speak Spanish.  She struggled balancing her Latina and more general ". " cultures.    It was a perspective I had not seen on tv before and found interesting.

Edited by After7Only
Got my actors mixed up. Fred Williamson and Ron O'Neal are not one and the same. Lol
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Why do they call Frank, "Superfly?"

I think it's just in reference to him being around the same age in the 70s as Ron O'Neal when the movie Superfly came out.  In short, he's just got that old school, 70s vibe.  Although I suppose Fred Williamson/Frank could be called "The Hammer" from his pro football days.  

• Love 2

This show used to be something I watched to pass the time but now I actually look forward to it! Ever since they got rid of beady-eyed deadbeat David I've been loving it.

I'm afraid they are setting Kara up for a big fall. Hope I'm wrong! I might like Mama Kara more than MJ. And she's one of the only people on TV--maybe the only--that says "mama" in a way that sounds natural and not stupid.

Edited by anonymiss
10 minutes ago, BigBlueMastiff said:
29 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Why do they call Frank, "Superfly?"

Fred Williamson was also in a bunch of so-called Blaxploitation films like his contemporaries who played Shaft and Superfly.

That wasn't my quote, it was Neurochicks, but yeah, he was in a bunch of Blaxploitation films.

Sadly, I think I'm abandoning this show. None of the storylines interest me this season. And Mary Jane doesn't interest me at anymore. Do we know if the show has been renewed for another season? If so, I'll try it again next season.  

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, topanga said:

Sadly, I think I'm abandoning this show. None of the storylines interest me this season. And Mary Jane doesn't interest me at anymore. Do we know if the show has been renewed for another season? If so, I'll try it again next season.  

I know how you feel.  I do think the show has run its course, and probably should have ended last season.  I'll stick with it if it's renewed, but only because I've stuck with it thus far.   And I guess PJ is just.....gone?

1 hour ago, anonymiss said:

Ever since they got rid of beady-eyed deadbeat David I've been loving it.

That's a funny description of him, but so accurate.  I never could understand why Mary Jane lost her mind over him.

3 hours ago, BigBlueMastiff said:

Fred Williamson was also in a bunch of so-called Blaxploitation films like his contemporaries who played Shaft and Superfly.

Yes, I remember when he was in those movies.  I also remember he said a lot of crap about women.

On 9/6/2017 at 8:44 PM, Ohwell said:

I know how you feel.  I do think the show has run its course, and probably should have ended last season.  I'll stick with it if it's renewed, but only because I've stuck with it thus far.   And I guess PJ is just.....gone?

I was shocked PJ got a mention; it's like he just vanished into thin air. And I guess the show is done with Niecey for the season???

I am glad that the show seems to be avoiding the 'Patrick learns the truth about his parentage and falls off the wagon' trope. People including recovering addicts can receive bad or life-altering news without flipping out or resorting to self-destructive behavior.

As far as Patrick meeting his bio father I can relate. A year and a half ago my brother and I connected with our bio father; there was no anger, bitterness or drama and we've built up a good relationship with him.

I had forgotten all about the frozen embryos.

This show has so much promise; it's too bad the writing is so mediocre.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, woodstock said:

As far as Patrick meeting his bio father I can relate. A year and a half ago my brother and I connected with our bio father; there was no anger, bitterness or drama and we've built up a good relationship with him.

A I said, I think it's good for Patrick to connect with hi biological father, but I hope that Paul Sr. doesn't feel tossed aside because of it.  Patrick can still have both men in his life and I hope it turns out that way. 

I tend to multitask when watching this show so maybe I missed it, but how did The Hammer (formerly known as Superfly) wind up in Atlanta?  Did Paul Sr. invite him, and if so, why?  Did he suspect that Helen was still pining for him and wanted to see for himself?  If so, then he knew that issue of Patrick's paternity would likely come up.  I'm just wondering how this all came about. 

Good questions ohwell. This whole Paul Sr./Helen/The Hammer -*chuckle* - storyline is odd. After all this time this suddenly blows up? Was there any hint of Helen's past relationship with The Hammer in previous seasons?

Another thing that struck me as odd was all this drama went down the past two episodes in the Patterson house and Niecey was nowhere to be seen? I mean Paul Sr. put Helen out! If the actress wasn't available fine but a throwaway line saying that Niecey was at work, hanging out or somewhere should have been included. PJ is off who knows where so his being out of the loop makes sense; Niecey lives at ground zero. Sloppy writing IMO.

• Love 2