Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: Triggered

starri

Liam and Theo attempt to draw the Hunters away from Beacon Hills.

Except for the parts about Liam's fee-fees, I rather enjoyed much of the episode.  The Liam/Theo stuff that wasn't about specifically how Liam is so sad and angry were enjoyable.  The hallucination of Brett pelting him with lacrosse balls, OTOH...

6 hours ago, starri said:

Except for the parts about Liam's fee-fees, I rather enjoyed much of the episode.  The Liam/Theo stuff that wasn't about specifically how Liam is so sad and angry were enjoyable.  The hallucination of Brett pelting him with lacrosse balls, OTOH...

So bored. That episode was just so boring. I have no idea what happened to Liam in 'Mykonos' because I wandered off to get more wine and didn't bother pausing. It had the feel of a bottle episode for me, even though it technically wasn't. But a good bottle episode should tell you something about the characters: this was just some dumbasses running around being dumb. That includes Gerard. I mean, his big plan for trapping Scott involved him leaving his badass Hunter son and an even more badass Banshee - both with brains and skills for strategy - outside the trap. Not to mention that trap was ludicrously convoluted. It was only one step up from tying him up over a pit of scorpions and leaving the room. 

I knew these writers didn't have the chops for the BIG IDEAS they have when they had random Nazis running around last season. And a train. But they really think they can pull off a global genocide plotline? *sigh*. 

And they were doing so well.

Some points:

1. Scott and Malia. Whatever. This is the world's most contrived romance.

2. I get that Beacon Hills had way more supes running around then we know about but I find it hard to believe there's a werecoyote at the school who's not pack. What pack is he a part of? There were only two Alphas in Beacon Hills. Oh well, he's dead anyway because his family decided it was a good idea to send him to school with a supernatural lynch mob.

3. Casting people who know how to act would help me deal with Nolan. I couldn't work out if he was disgusted or aroused during the murder scene. He was attempting to emote so he was feeling something. What it was? No clue.

4. Where is the principal while students are being assaulted and murdered on campus in broad daylight? Why is the school counsellor in charge all of a sudden? It reminds of when Gerard installed himself as principal in the second season and it was a genuinely menacing move. There's nothing organic about a school counsellor running around school ordering students to murder each other. Nothing organic at all.

• Love 6

Isn't Malia, even though not a wolf, part of Scott's pack?  If so, did this show highlight the extreme bond between an Alpha and his/her Betas and compare it to parent/child relationships...... just before having Scott and Malia makeout?  I'm mean, it's not as ill-advised as, perhaps, formally revealing a character's paternity as a voice over for his unwittingly sleeping with his aunt, but still ....  

Edited by RachelKM
3 minutes ago, RachelKM said:

Isn't Malia, even though not a wolf, part of Scott's pack?  If so, did this show highlight the extreme bond between a Alpha and his/her Betas and compare it to parent/child relationships...... just before having Scott and Malia makeout?  

This is precisely my problem with Scott and Malia. As I said last week, to me they have almost a father/daughter relationship especially when it comes to how reliant she is on him. She's always looked to him for guidance on how to live her life in a way that's very childlike. Technically, he didn't turn her but only recently Gerard referred to her as his beta as well. Plus I get the feeling this is a 'last single female left standing' romance. For some reason, they want Scott to end the series paired up and she's the only one left. It would have been nicer if they'd thought it through a bit more, especially since she's his best friend's ex.

I'm mean, it's not as ill-advised as, perhaps, formally revealing a character's paternity as a voice over for his unwittingly sleeping with his aunt, but still ....  

Que?

I had no problem with the episode itself (or, for that matter, the story this half-season). However, I am having a big problem with the pacing. There are four episodes left of the series. Somehow, they are going to have to reveal the big bad, figure out a way to defeat the big bad, shoehorn in all of the returning characters, and most importantly, explain that scene with Stiles at the FBI watching footage of Derek. I am just going to resign myself to being disappointed in the finale. There is no way they are going to have time to wrap it all up in any way that makes sense.

• Love 1

As bad as the series got, I still watched out of some weird loyalty but this season has been SO BORING! It feels like fan fiction and not even the good kind of fan fiction. This whole season hasn't even felt like the same show and its not completely down to Dylan not being around as much all the characters just feel OFF to me. Maybe it'll flow better if I binge it all at once after the season/series is over but right now week to week? Blah. You'd think if you have 10 episodes to finish off your series you'd make it GOOD but I feel like everyone is just phoning it in at this point.

• Love 1

This show is positively dreadful.

I also need someone to stick Monroe in the nematon or give her a train ticket for the Wild Hunt Limited Line. She's smirky and annoying. Why does Monroe get to kick the FBI off campus?

Additionally, I'm pretty sure that Natalie Martin said that she was the new principal in Said the Spider to the Fly (S6.E11). What the actual hell Natalie?

• Love 1

A whole lot of nothing.  The whole bit of "mazes to kill off invaders" wasn't even used. 
Was Malia holding up her hand at the end?  I couldn't see what we were supposed to be looking at.  I wouldn't be surprised if she was shot, knowing these idiot writers.

7 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

1. Scott and Malia. Whatever. This is the world's most contrived romance.

2. Where is the principal while students are being assaulted and murdered on campus in broad daylight?

1. Agreed.  They could have let one of the female werewolves from the other pack live and pair up with Scott if the absolutely had to have romantic pairing (but why?).

2. A teacher may not be allowed to break up fights but if a student is slicing other kids, hell, yeah, they can have that kid held and arrested.

8 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Was Malia holding up her hand at the end?  I couldn't see what we were supposed to be looking at.  I wouldn't be surprised if she was shot, knowing these idiot writers.

They showed Malia's face looking all concerned but basically ok so I think it's someone else.  I was trying to tell if it was a male or female hand.  I think it's Scott's mom.

I don't mind Scott and Malia. Most shows have everyone hooking up with each other. I've always enjoyed their interactions. I think introducing some random girl in the last season would make less sense. We also wouldn't really care about her and she'd take even more screen time from the characters we do care about. 

I'm still not a fan of Liam and Theo, however they were surprisingly ok together. Have they dropped the Liam being the next alpha thing? Because he is definitely not ready for that. Also since Scott barely treats him as the beta. Malia seems more like the beta. Gerarad even called her that. Then this episode it was back to being Liam. You'd think he would go after Malia also because she's been their muclscle. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, RachelKM said:

Sorry, I made a reference to another show.

And I'm obviously not ready for the work week to have started, because I was curious what show this might have been, so I googled "sleeping with your aunt" without stopping to think what the consequences of that search might be...

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

That show Game of Thrones also has twincest. So no one was really unprepared for it. 

Truth.  Also, everyone pretty much saw both the biological and romantic relationships coming for the last decade, plus.   And I don't really have an issue with it since they didn't grow up knowing they were related, much less were they raised as family.  Their connection is purely biological.  But I do question the wisdom of directly stating the existing familial relationship as a voice over to the scenes depicting the start of the sexual one.

Likewise, I don't really have an issue with Scott and Malia.  She doesn't really act in a manner that indicates her Beta status impacts her reactions and responses to Scott (i.e. she is fully prepared to state that his plans are dumb).  I just don't know that it was the best plan to highlight the fact that they are bonded in a hierarchical manner just before having them make out.

21 hours ago, Scott said:

And I'm obviously not ready for the work week to have started, because I was curious what show this might have been, so I googled "sleeping with your aunt" without stopping to think what the consequences of that search might be...

Sorry.  I did not intend to lead you into trauma.

Edited by RachelKM
5 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

That show Game of Thrones also has twincest. So no one was really unprepared for it. 

I think highlights what Ted Sturgeon said about incest being the last taboo.  There's no power conflict just from their biological connection, so any "ewww" factor is simply the (fairly illogical) reaction to incest.

If Scott and Malia's relationship was more like "parent/child" like Gerald said, the power conflict would be more of an "ewww" factor than any hint of incest.  They've pretty much shown that that's really not the case.  (But I think it would have been funny if Malia had said "I want to experience what I haven't... so I'm going to an orgy so I can get porked!!!"

• Love 1

I never saw a parent/child relationship with Malia and Scott. (I do see it with Scott and Liam). If anything it was more a sort of mentor type of relationship. Malia needed someone to teach her how to be a human and a wereanimal, the whole pack helped her with that.  I actually think Malia/Scott had more of a build up then Malia/Stiles that seemed to come out of nowhere and existed because Stiles needed a girlfriend since they weren't ready to hook him up with Lydia yet. They've shown Scott and Malia growing closer starting in season 5. That's why I kind of don't mind them getting together. 

How do we know that Malia hasn't tried an orgy before? She's never been shy about sex,. Wasn't she riding some random guy in the beginning of the season?

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Whimsy said:

They showed Malia's face looking all concerned but basically ok so I think it's someone else.  I was trying to tell if it was a male or female hand.  I think it's Scott's mom.

I think that's a good bet. Malia took, like, five bullets at close range last season and lived, so...but now apparently bullets kill werewolves (coyotes?). Hard to keep track around here. At any rate, I definitely think it's one of the humans and most likely Melissa--I've seen some persuasive arguments that it's Argent but I can't imagine they would write him off before Kate inevitably returns. If it's either Argent or Dad McCall I think they're probably done. If it's Melissa, almost definitely not.

The stuff in the school is similar to the sheriff station hostage situation--absolutely unbelievable to the point of really not being able to suspend disbelief on it. That Monroe was, with no disguise whatsoever, leading the sheriff station hold up and is still working in the public school on a government salary--I mean, who came up with this stuff?

I hope we're in for an actual discussion next week of the long term repercussions of Scott's refusal to kill bad guys who have the power to take out many innocent lives if let loose. The show has never offered up any kind of satisfactory explanation for what they do with these very dangerous murderers with supernatural abilities. I know they're supposedly in Eichen house, a place repeatedly shown to be corrupt and at times even evil, so that doesn't strike me as a good explanation. Certainly Scott shouldn't feel comfortable with it.

Add me to the Scott/Malia train. I've always enjoyed their chemistry, and I love Malia and want her to have a guy who wants her. I've always seen her as loyal to Scott but not willing to blindly defer to him if she disagreed. She's also saved him more than once. I agree that while Malia is technically a beta in that she's not an alpha or an omega, she was never Scott's beta the way Liam was/is. She needed more guidance as a human than as her wereform, and Stiles seemed to do the majority of guidance on that. 

23 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

How do we know that Malia hasn't tried an orgy before? She's never been shy about sex,. Wasn't she riding some random guy in the beginning of the season?

Her words before the kiss were something like "I want to do something I haven't done yet."  If it's not sex, then that scene makes even less sense.

On 9/4/2017 at 2:36 PM, AudienceofOne said:

Casting people who know how to act would help me deal with Nolan. I couldn't work out if he was disgusted or aroused during the murder scene. He was attempting to emote so he was feeling something. What it was? No clue.

So much this! The script is really ambiguous about whether Nolan is genuinely on the kill-em-all train or whether he has reservations, and it doesn't help that his face acting is really, really unclear. I honestly thought he was getting a sexual thrill from the murder, too. 

1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

Her words before the kiss were something like "I want to do something I haven't done yet."  If it's not sex, then that scene makes even less sense.

She hasn't kissed/had sex with Scott before.

On 9/4/2017 at 5:50 PM, RachelKM said:

Isn't Malia, even though not a wolf, part of Scott's pack?  If so, did this show highlight the extreme bond between an Alpha and his/her Betas and compare it to parent/child relationships...... just before having Scott and Malia makeout?  I'm mean, it's not as ill-advised as, perhaps, formally revealing a character's paternity as a voice over for his unwittingly sleeping with his aunt, but still ....  

While she is part of his pack, only Liam is Scott's true Beta, which is what (I think) Gerard was referring to,   But yeah, still bizarre juxtapositioning. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ahisma said:

She hasn't kissed/had sex with Scott before.

That really doesn't fit with the other things she'd talked about, like going to Paris.  She seemed to be talking about "bucket list" items and kissing or having sex with Scott doesn't feel (to me anyway) like it would be on that list.

10 hours ago, jhlipton said:

That really doesn't fit with the other things she'd talked about, like going to Paris.  She seemed to be talking about "bucket list" items and kissing or having sex with Scott doesn't feel (to me anyway) like it would be on that list.

While I agree that kissing Scott is a miss match with things like Paris, I think we were supposed to see being with Scott being a "bucket list" thing in the sense that she didn't want to die not having done the things she wanted to do. So while jumping Scott is hardly the Louvre, even to Malia, she wanted it and she wasn't going to hold back.   The speech was clunky and not well set up, but I took it as Malia deciding to act on her feelings and desires of all types after facing the possibility of dying with regrets.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, RachelKM said:

The speech was clunky and not well set up, but I took it as Malia deciding to act on her feelings and desires of all types after facing the possibility of dying with regrets.  

I guess, but it was not done well.

Well, not that we didnt know this before, Beacon Hills High School is absolutely the worse. Ugh. Where are the good kids/teachers. They cant even give us a scene where some random kids or teachers promise to try and protect each other but obviously look scared shitless? If everything is constantly about packs, how cool would it be to see packs of the Non-Supernatural and Supernatural high school students slowly coming together. Its a bummer they got rid of Danny. It could have been like Harry Potter when they get back to Hogwarts and Neville, Luna and others had been causing all sorts of trouble on their own, coming together in the end for the fight.

It really seems like they knew they had one last season and they're cramming in as much as possible making for an unclear storyline. Scott and Malia? Check. Liam and Theo beating each other to have Theo save him in the end like Liam saved him from the Sand Sisters? Check. Crazy townspeople out to kill everyone? Check. Gerald being the Grandfather from hell? Check. Tease Stiles and Derek but have no check-in with them until the end of the season? Check.

It's literally like they're throwing ideas against the wall to see what sticks.

Ps. Lydia, for the love of everything, learn to channel and use your powers. And the Powers that be stop making her stand all hunched forward, she looks ridiculous.

While I agree that kissing Scott is a miss match with things like Paris, I think we were supposed to see being with Scott being a "bucket list" thing in the sense that she didn't want to die not having done the things she wanted to do. So while jumping Scott is hardly the Louvre, even to Malia, she wanted it and she wasn't going to hold back.   The speech was clunky and not well set up, but I took it as Malia deciding to act on her feelings and desires of all types after facing the possibility of dying with regrets.  

Yeah, my read was that she and Scott have been sort of dancing around each other for a couple of episodes with neither seeming entirely willing to make the first real move, and the near-death experience made Malia feel like she just needed to go for it because she has feelings for him. I don't think it was about sex, more about a relationship with Scott beyond friendship. But I also don't think the Scott thing was supposed to be the main point of her speech. I think it was that she was realizing how much, as an eighteen year old who spent...how many years as a coyote? Seven?...she had a lot of things she wished she had done or seen when she thought she was going to asphyxiate in a weapons stronghold. 

I've seen some speculation that Nolan is a banshee and doesn't realize it yet. I think that won't be the case because it sounds far more interesting than something the writers would have come up with for this storyline.

I hate smirking guidance counselor. I'm surprised that "one dimensional mustache twirling villain" is the way they chose to go on this. 

Edited by Jillibean
  • Love 3
On 9/6/2017 at 3:58 AM, jcin617 said:

While she is part of his pack, only Liam is Scott's true Beta, which is what (I think) Gerard was referring to,   But yeah, still bizarre juxtapositioning. 

This is how I understood this too.  Liam is the only one that Scott has actually turned, so he's Scott's only TRUE Beta that he might have a parent/child relationship with.  Everyone else that is part of Scott's "pack" are really just adopted - Malia, Lydia, Styles, and even (to some extent) Mason.  He didn't turn any of them, so while they are part of his pack, none of them are his Betas.