Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Hella Perspective

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

Damn, that "what might have been" montage at the doorway got me. It was so perfectly sweet and sad. I feel like the writing for the show is solid enough to stand by this loss for Issa. I won't say I'm completely convinced that that Lawrence and Issa won't get romantically involved again, but there's actual dramatic tension because I can believe that they might not.  I don't have an actual preference one way or another, I'm just glad they made it to a place where they could try to not hurt one another going forward.

Molly and Dro, ugh. One step forward, two steps back. I guess  it's easier to pretend that you could have it all if it wasn't for the wife than deal with the fact you would probably still find something wrong with him if he was otherwise unattached. 

• Love 3
On 9/11/2017 at 1:17 AM, rozen said:

Sooooo, Frieda has done nothing but ride Issa's coattails, and orchestrated half of this mess in the first place, but sits by and let's Issa get hung out to dry? And gets promoted on top of it to boot? Screw that. Issa needs to start her own shit and leave this struggle White Guilt establishment.

Those partners don't care to retain Molly, they're just using what little time they have left to slap her face all over their website and brag about how inclusive and diverse they are before she inevitably jumps ship.

That Chicago colleague was hilarious. How did he get his pants off so fast?! There is literally no chance the poor dude even brought his A game because he was so thunderstruck that this was even happening to him. If Molly really wanted something healthy, she would have gone back to Marketing Professional Hottie, apologized, and asked to start over. Guess she just loves fuckboys and drama.

I need a full order of Due North immediately. "I hate slavery!" OMG, I was dying.

Real life.

• Love 4

All the crap that Issa and Lawrence went through had to happen so that last conversation had the resonance it did.  For that I love the storytelling structure of the season.  They had me for about a second with the fake-out until they got to the pregnancy.  It had the feel of a series finale not a season finale and looked they looked a little too happy.

I like Aparna and am glad she shut that shit down with Lawrence.  With his jealosuy and extra-ness he was basically pulling a Tasha on Aparna.  But she at least was more upfront about it than he was and just got the fuck out.

Aparna also did what Issa tried to do.  Lawrence wants to vault right to the top with a fantastic idea.  But she attempts to temper his expectations with reality.  Maybe work on an existing project first within the culture of the company so you can see what to do and what not to do.   But he is not feeling that, it is the same reaction he had to Issa when she tried to get him to find a job and work on his app on the side.

Issa whole work thing was a mess.  But I blame the supervisor.  Instead of talking to Issa to really suss out the situation, she immediately jumped to blame and disappointment.  She could have at least acknowledged that Issa was in an untenable situation with the VP and given her some guidance on how to work with it.  Even if you are in charge in the field, there are reasons you have a supervisor and it is just for that type of guidance .  Yes, the inability to make a quick pivot decision while out in the field could (and probably should) have some bearing on her decision or not to promote Issa, but her immediate reaction was so immediately condemnatory that it makes me think she held Issa to a higher standard than she did everyone else.

Y'all know that is Fred's baby.  Tiffany being so extra at Derek's birthday now makes so much sense.

The best part of Molly this entire episode was 1) her seeming acceptance and comfort at being in therapy now and 2) her Moroccan dinner with Issa. I am not gonna lie, I was girlfriend jealous that whole scene!  But the rest.  Nah.  Molly we are done.  I was on your side but your insistence on making the worst possible choice for yourself is making me downgrade you to (almost) Lawrence levels of exasperation.

Meanwhile Kelli is moving on up.  Everything about Kelli this season has been gold. Her breakdown of the whys/why nots of working with blacks versus the whites had me cackling.

Watched the entire Due North and it was really hilarious  Regina Hall is a treasure.  And if "I hate Slavery!" doesn't become and internet meme, than I don't know the internet.  I wish Dear White People had made Defamation available like Issa did with Due North.

Great season.  Can't wait to see what happens next.

• Love 7

After letting the episode marinate a bit. Here are some extra thoughts from me.

I think Lawrence did have some reason to stow away in the back of his mind that Aparna was not being totally forthright about the other guy. I mean the dinner conversation between him and her was interesting. Still, he went about it wrong, imo. I think her shutting it down was the right thing to do.

I am not sold on what I am about to say concerning the Issa/Frieda situation but I am open to it. I think the main thing is that Issa was the lead and anything that Frieda would have done could have been seen as going above Issa's head. It was up to Issa to go to the principal and director. Frieda going to either the principal or director may not have been seen in a good light by Issa. Also, I have worked in places where the chain of command was a huge thing. I can see the director asking Frieda if she brought this to Issa's (technically, her superior's) attention.

Again, I am just brainstorming.

• Love 2
On 9/11/2017 at 0:39 AM, mrsbagnet said:

My favorite line was Issa saying a resigned "Good luck, girl" to the daughter.

[ . . . ]

Why is Issa's brother so bitchy?

That line was hilarious! And I love Issa's bitchy brother.

I don't get all the Due North love . . . ? It was a funny bit at first, but then not so much.

You should have heard me when Lawrence "proposed," I was so pissed, then was like, "This can't be real, this bed' not be real!" I love that Issa and Molly ain't shit, though, running back to their respective dickmatizers. I was hoping Molly and Pastor Body could have a great relationship going on but we can't have nice things. I love that she decided to stick with her therapist, though.

• Love 3
On 9/11/2017 at 0:27 PM, ZaldamoWilder said:

(1) not just emotional and (2) she's still having it.  Derek told the boys she was at Issa's watching the Due North finale and then when we saw Issa nem, she texted Kelli to say she wasn't coming.    They said they'd been trying to get pregnant early on for a while, then bam outta the blue.  Wait'll Derek gets a look at that Fred faced baby.   I watched the finale twice cause I was like, I feel like I'm missing something subtle but hella important.   Where was she ya'll?  lol.   

Daaaaaaamn, Zaldamo is the real MVP, y'all. I never even noticed this! 

On 9/11/2017 at 4:15 PM, Keepitmoving said:

Can someone tell me what the guys were looking at when they were watching Due North? When Lawrence, Chad and Greg were at his place and Due North came on they all turned their heads to the side as if the graphics might have been in the shape of maybe some female anatomy? Is that what they were looking at? That was the only thing I could think of them noticing and then having that reaction.

LMAO, glad I wasn't the only one who had to rewind a few times! I think it's because after all the work of putting that big-ass TV on the wall, the TV was mounted crookedly :)

• Love 3

Issa imagining a future with Lawrence in that instant was like the Six Feet Under ending.

The fact that her head/heart is still in that space, that she still sees him as "the one," seems to suggest she still carries the torch.

She may have thought she could erase Lawrence from her heart by doing her "hoetation" phase but maybe she's just not wired to easily move on?

• Love 2

So yeah for Molly going back to therapy but WTF is it for if she jumping straight to sex with a friend, colleague she hasn't been on an official date with? Official as in we both know it's a date. I mean damn girl! I don't get it. Therapy's no good if you don't actually talk about how f'ed up you are. Molly just wasting money if she don't get real. Then Dro? I wanted to like this dude. I did but now I'm like what a shitty friend. And shitty husband. I think the wife knows but they probably got rules about dating friends. And if Dro's really been pining for Molly all these years, married Stephanie(?) and now with Molly, that's not fair. And she best be leaving the firm after that award. I'm surprised she didn't code switch and cuss them out.

Well, one more yeah for Molly on the Morocco dinner. I was jealous. I love those moments between the two of them. 

Yeah for Lawrence on his being able to analyze his part in the failure of their relationship. WTF though with getting involved with Aparna when you know she slept with a dude at work? Even without the baggage from the breakup with Issa, getting involved with someone that slept with someone at work is tricky. Like some of y'all, I think Aparna is messy but I still kinda like her and was glad she told Lawrence she ain't here for his mess. Now she needs to get a new job. Maybe get some therapy. 

Lawrence was being an ass about the Chad (Corey? What's dude's name?) situation, but Aparna is still a messy chick with no sense of what's appropriate.

Do you watch Wrecked?

I'm glad Issa, too, demonstrated some growth. I was like she better be dreaming when he proposed. I don't know how I feel about Lawrence and Issa getting back together. If they do, they need to be separate for a while longer. Speaking of growth, I don't think she was jealous of Frieda. The whole situation from the time the VP was like no Latinos to the boss's reaction to what Issa didn't do to the Frieda's promotion could've been handled by all involved better. I do think probably Frieda's the best choice of the lost at WGY (I mean look at them) and was based on a lot more than just the current circumstance. At least I hope so. 

Condoms?! Where are the condoms?! I mean.

I would trade Kelli for Molly at this point. Even though Chad is wrong AF with the shit that comes out of his mouth, he funny. More of him.  More Derek, too. I hope Tiffany hasn't cheated because they would probably mean more of her and less of him. Y'all some observant watches putting that all together to come to the conclusion that Tiffany pregnant with Fred's baby. I don't think it is though. That situation is too messy and Tiffany doesn't strike me as the type unless she saw something in it for her and would come out smelling like a rose. She ain't gonna have Kelli, Molly and Issa looking at her like, "Oh, really bitch? Look who's messy AF! Super messy!"

I'm also perversely glad that we haven't seen the last of Daniel because his chemistry with Issa is fire, even though her going back to that made no sense. 

Daniel, WTF dude?! He must be stuck on her because had she fixed her mouth to ask me to stay at my place. Bitch please! You teach people how to treat you and she ain't nice. Though I ain't going to lie, I was kinda sad we wouldn't see him no more. He's so nice to look at and he and Issa do have chemistry. If they do have Lawrence and Issa get back together, Daniel can't be around. And if Issa and Daniel are the endgame, Lawrence can't be around. Cuz it's this show, it would be messy AF otherwise in either scenario. 

First, let me address the most important thing, there was not enough Due North.  And the finale was so confusing.  Like, who had the affair with the matriarch?  Was it a woman (slave) we knew?

Glad I wasn't the only one confused. Speaking of confused, I think the guys were looking at the TV because it was crooked. I thought it was crooked as soon as they stepped away from it. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, nicepebbles said:

Glad I wasn't the only one confused.

I got less confused when I actually watched the six minutes of Due North On Demand after this episode.  It all came together and was hella messy.  Much messier than I could have ever imagined.  And yet it all made sense.

• Love 1

Daniel, WTF dude?! He must be stuck on her because had she fixed her mouth to ask me to stay at my place. Bitch please! You teach people how to treat you and she ain't nice. Though I ain't going to lie, I was kinda sad we wouldn't see him no more.

Ah, I look at it this way, men dick around all the time and women take them back most of the time. IMO they get granted forgiveness and are accepted back into the fold by women a lot  more than they return the favor when women fuck up and ask to come back. Although, yes, she has treated him shitty and I hope she stops. Or, he eventually stops putting up with her shit.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, nicepebbles said:

Well, one more yeah for Molly on the Morocco dinner. I was jealous. I love those moments between the two of them. 

I do too!  And why did Molly get Issa the man's garment?!  "You got a Moroccan man body!"  AHAHAHAHAHA.  Those two have GOT to be friends in real life.  Their chemistry is everything.

• Love 6

So I actually really like the format of the episode with the 30-days "In the Life Of..." but one instance threw me off a bit. So when we saw Molly in the bed and she was talking to someone in the bathroom/shower, because they didn't show whom she was talking to, I knew it was Dro. But then Issa calls and she answers and then becomes alarmed. Was this before with Issa moved in with Daniel or was this after we saw her getting ready and answering Dro at the door?

I REALLY don't like Arpana. For all the reasons and mentioned. But why does everyone think they're done? I know she got mad and jumped out of the car and said she wasn't doing that ish but we've seen sooooooo many women try that stroke and go back to the guy. No judgement. Look at Molly who can't let go of Dro and I still love her. I'm just not convinced it's last we've seen of Arpana. Ugh, really don't like her character. I think we're supposed to see her as the cool, chill chick who is no drama and no stress but WHO INVITES THEMSELVES TO A BIRTHDAY DINNER!?!?! For the friend of a guy you haven't even officially started dating yet? Just like I don't agree with Molly sleeping with her co-worker , who technically isn't even her coworker, Arpana needs to close her legs in the office. Don't shit where you eat. 

I also think Issa should've just sucked it up and lived with her brother until she had an alternative, that wasn't Daniel. Their stuff is so messy already. If she wants to pursue a relationship with him, fine, then do that. But don't live with him.

I don't care too much for the peripheral characters to be honest, Kelly and Tiffany especially. Derek they can keep. He's cute and provides insight for Lawrence. And Lawrence's friend who always calls his chicks by other names. I can tolerate the minimal amount of him that we get. But I don't care if Tiffany's baby isn't her husbands. They didn't add anything else to her character in two season besides her being shallow. And we don't know much about Derek either.

• Love 2

I REALLY don't like Arpana. For all the reasons and mentioned. But why does everyone think they're done? I know she got mad and jumped out of the car and said she wasn't doing that ish but we've seen sooooooo many women try that stroke and go back to the guy. No judgement. Look at Molly who can't let go of Dro and I still love her. I'm just not convinced it's last we've seen of Arpana.

Yeah, I don't think they're done either, but I on the other hand, really like Aparna. I mean, if Lawrence goes back and comes off like he's gotten his shit together in terms of his baggage, I can see her being cool with him enough to maybe start over. She's chill, and just does not intend to put up with the messy and over analyzing of stuff. She's like, I slept with the guy at work, he's funny, we were drunk, but she doesn't think that, that sex is the closest that two people can get. And if she means sex alone does not equal true/quality intimacy, then I agree with her. I'm thinking that's what she meant. Now I get from a male perspective, Lawrence having an issue with one, much less multiple men walking around the office having seen a woman he's in a relationship with naked. And he's definitely conservative, while she comes off like some flower child, so their whole value system and outlook on the world, just may be very different and not compatible. We shall see, at least I hope.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 1

I could do without Aparna and Lawrence.  Both of them together are zzzzzz.

I would love it if we had more about the circle of friends.

Can you imagine if Kelli met Chad..it would be like a tornado meeting a volcano.

• Love 5

I never liked Aparna as much as I did when she called Lawrence on his shit and just got out of the car. Jealous is a dealbreaker for me. Either trust me or GTFO. I will not be subjected to continued accusations or passive aggressive huffing and puffing. Take your insecurity elsewhere! Yes, we know that this stems from Issa sleeping with Daniel, but as Aparna pointed out, that's HIS shit, not hers.

OF COURSE NeighborBae as using Issa's wifi. He should have used her wifi to watch S5 of Gossip Girl on Netflix!

Even though Molly is seriously backsliding by sleeping with Dro, at least she's still seeing her therapist. That seems like a small step forward.

On 9/10/2017 at 9:41 PM, Amethyst said:

Lord, I was like Fred Sanford clutching my chest at that proposal! 

I was too! At least until they showed them flopping onto the same couch in the same apartment in their wedding attire. I was like nope, this can't be real if they're still living in that place! Thank goodness it was just a fantasy sequence.

On 9/11/2017 at 11:29 AM, Keepitmoving said:

So are we thinking that baby might not be Derek's?

An acquaintance was a maternity nurse. She said you wouldn't believe how many husbands are in the delivery room and are then shocked when the baby comes out looking like neither the mother nor the father. But yeah, I'm guessing that baby is Fred's.

And just because:

• Love 1

An acquaintance was a maternity nurse. She said you wouldn't believe how many husbands are in the delivery room and are then shocked when the baby comes out looking like neither the mother nor the father. But yeah, I'm guessing that baby is Fred's.

Issa Rae says this is not the case. She was chuckling at all the comments insinuating that Tiffany is cheating and the baby isn't Derek's. She said no, that's not it, they have had problems, but they are supposed to be the stable couple who worked through them. Actually, I think she covered this in one of her after show reviews. She did a wine down one with a female director and I think another video with a producer.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Keepitmoving said:

Issa Rae says this is not the case. She was chuckling at all the comments insinuating that Tiffany is cheating and the baby isn't Derek's. She said no, that's not it, they have had problems, but they are supposed to be the stable couple who worked through them. Actually, I think she covered this in the video that someone posted on the first page of this thread.

I am so glad that there is at least one stable couple, but the last episode definitely did give mixed signals on this.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

Issa Rae says this is not the case. She was chuckling at all the comments insinuating that Tiffany is cheating and the baby isn't Derek's. She said no, that's not it, they have had problems, but they are supposed to be the stable couple who worked through them.

This is a little disappointing, actually.  It's not that the show needs more romantic chaos, I was just hoping for some kind of interesting reveal for the skeletons in their closet.  Tiffany will probably be super-extra about pregnancy and motherhood, but I really don't care.  She and Derek just aren't interesting.

12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I never liked Aparna as much as I did when she called Lawrence on his shit and just got out of the car. Jealous is a dealbreaker for me. Either trust me or GTFO. I will not be subjected to continued accusations or passive aggressive huffing and puffing. Take your insecurity elsewhere! Yes, we know that this stems from Issa sleeping with Daniel, but as Aparna pointed out, that's HIS shit, not hers.

THIS, and I didn't even like Aparna.  But Lawrence defensively called her a liar, and she handled that a lot better than I would have.  Lawrence could have talked to her about what was bothering him (his insecurity about Aparna having hooked up with other guys at work) but instead, he passively aggressively sniped at her, and he had the audacity to wonder why she didn't want to go out with him.  Had Lawrence not reconciled with Issa later on, he would still be a serious fuckboy in my book.

• Love 2
On 9/12/2017 at 10:16 AM, DearEvette said:

All the crap that Issa and Lawrence went through had to happen so that last conversation had the resonance it did.  For that I love the storytelling structure of the season.  They had me for about a second with the fake-out until they got to the pregnancy.  It had the feel of a series finale not a season finale and looked they looked a little too happy.

I like Aparna and am glad she shut that shit down with Lawrence.  With his jealosuy and extra-ness he was basically pulling a Tasha on Aparna.  But she at least was more upfront about it than he was and just got the fuck out.

Aparna also did what Issa tried to do.  Lawrence wants to vault right to the top with a fantastic idea.  But she attempts to temper his expectations with reality.  Maybe work on an existing project first within the culture of the company so you can see what to do and what not to do.   But he is not feeling that, it is the same reaction he had to Issa when she tried to get him to find a job and work on his app on the side.

Issa whole work thing was a mess.  But I blame the supervisor.  Instead of talking to Issa to really suss out the situation, she immediately jumped to blame and disappointment.  She could have at least acknowledged that Issa was in an untenable situation with the VP and given her some guidance on how to work with it.  Even if you are in charge in the field, there are reasons you have a supervisor and it is just for that type of guidance .  Yes, the inability to make a quick pivot decision while out in the field could (and probably should) have some bearing on her decision or not to promote Issa, but her immediate reaction was so immediately condemnatory that it makes me think she held Issa to a higher standard than she did everyone else.

Y'all know that is Fred's baby.  Tiffany being so extra at Derek's birthday now makes so much sense.

The best part of Molly this entire episode was 1) her seeming acceptance and comfort at being in therapy now and 2) her Moroccan dinner with Issa. I am not gonna lie, I was girlfriend jealous that whole scene!  But the rest.  Nah.  Molly we are done.  I was on your side but your insistence on making the worst possible choice for yourself is making me downgrade you to (almost) Lawrence levels of exasperation.

Meanwhile Kelli is moving on up.  Everything about Kelli this season has been gold. Her breakdown of the whys/why nots of working with blacks versus the whites had me cackling.

Watched the entire Due North and it was really hilarious  Regina Hall is a treasure.  And if "I hate Slavery!" doesn't become and internet meme, than I don't know the internet.  I wish Dear White People had made Defamation available like Issa did with Due North.

Great season.  Can't wait to see what happens next.

pointing-and-laughing.gif

Mozelle, on the show Wrecked there's a character whose name is Corey (I think) but no one can remember his name so it's always, "What's his name Chad? Casey?" So when you typed what's below, it made me think of that. The is basically lost if it were a half hour comedy. It's hilarious. 

Lawrence was being an ass about the Chad (Corey? What's dude's name?) situation, but Aparna is still a messy chick with no sense of what's appropriate.

Can you imagine if Kelli met Chad..it would be like a tornado meeting a volcano.

This needs to happen. I can both of them calling the other on their shit. It would be hilarious. 

• Love 1

The finale was good to me because it felt Ike it wrapped up morestory arches than season one. But actually I do not think the three main characters are in better over all positions than before .

Molly is in a toxic semi-relationship with Dro, undervalued at work and pushing away the two ideal representations of her romantic goals for a physical relationship.  When Issa asked her to teach her how to be a Ho, I think that while agreeing to help her, she actually is not the person to seek romantic relationship advice from. But for someone who has your back she is that friend.  No matter what, she has Issa's back more than any other chracter besides Freida.

Lawrencd ended the season, with no romantic relationship emotionally or physical, he is in a lower position in his mind at work and his friends give him the worse advice.  He does have a nice apartment with an extra bedroom for his feelings , and he finally had a rational discussion with Issa.  I hope he can patch up His relationship with Aparna. When I rewatched he episode it was like she was screaming 'you are special ' being real , at least she was drunk every time she slept with Collin, she told Lawrence that, it was like she was trying to tell him what they had was different. She did not need to be drunk to sleep with Lawrence. His whole that is the most intimate you cam be with a person flies in the face of how he treated sex with Tasha and the 2 1/2 some from hell.  In neither of thise scenarios was he feeling intimate.  Oh well new App new me season three.

Issa has no apartment, no romantic relationship, and is on thin ice at work.  Of the three, the work situation in the most frustrating, she had the chance to advance but took the easy way out that led to her downfall.  When she coukd have ejected from the school after getting no results she took Gaines racist help on more than one occasion while having Freida legitimately question her thought process and while their is a sentiment that Freida coukd have gone to Joanne behind Issa's back that would have destroyed the character they have built for two seasons, Issa said she did not want to make Tasha the home wrecker responsible for the Lawrence Issa breakup because that happened too often putting two women against each other, I think the same applies to Freida, she did not want to make Issa's work problems be based on being backstabbed by Freida.  But a direct consequence on her own actions.  And out of all of the possible candidates I think the only person we have seen be consistently thinking about helping students had been Freida, the rest of her coworkers treat the job like a necessary a place to stroke their ego or a regular paycheck.  There are long periods of time where Issa goes on cruise control at work.  It is like she has been in a haze, her entire neighborhood was gentrified while she was not paying attention. LolBut she has potential. Molly in her corner as a friend, Freida has her back at work, and her brother half way in her corner lol. When you live in someone else's house you have to follow their rules.

• Love 1