Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Hella Perspective

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

Well this was certainly not the season Mollly was going to get herself together. If anything, I think she went backwards.  I knew it was going to be Dro she was getting ready for. And no resolution on her job situation...questions.

Lawrence & Aparna blew up as it should. She was hella annoying so bye Felicia. I'm glad Issa and Lawrence had a conversation even though that NEVER happens in real life  I definitely don't think they'll ever get back together but hopefully next season they can be in the same room together.

Issa needs a new job. Plain and simple. And Daniel. And how do we not get to see the conversation her and Daniel had.  Is he a glutton for punishment like Molly? So many questions! 

• Love 5

It's the LA LA Land ending! I didn't really love that but everything else was pretty great. The real Isaa-Lawrence breakup was sweet and intimate and real. I liked that they admitted to still loving each other, I think that's important, to be honest about that at the end. I'm also perversely glad that we haven't seen the last of Daniel because his chemistry with Issa is fire, even though her going back to that made no sense. Also not surprised to see Molly not ready to give up Dro. Looking forward to more of that storyline next season! Issa's work storyline seemed unresolved. It looks like she might get fired but then her coworker gets promoted? Wha? 

So that was Tiffany and Derek's big secret? She had an emotional affair with a coworker named Fred? Blah. 

Edited by PetuniaP
  • Love 2

I ended the episode with two consecutive eye rolls. Not happy to see Dro or Daniel.

12 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

I love that guy.

What did he say is his daughter's favorite meal?

My favorite line was Issa saying a resigned "Good luck, girl" to the daughter.

The actress who plays Frieda has such a nice voice. I'm glad Frieda got the promotion. I'm also glad that Aparna (aka Jasmine) dumped Lawrence. She's more mature than he is.

Why is Issa's brother so bitchy?

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 4

Lord, I was like Fred Sanford clutching my chest at that proposal!  

Pregnancy must be a good color on Tiffany, because this was the nicest she's ever been.  

Interesting with the different POVs, but the tonal shifts were confusing.  Especially after Issa and Lawrence's emotional conversation, then jumping to Issa and Molly having dinner.

Of course NeighborBae was using Issa's wifi.  I'll miss him.

Disappointed that they left Molly's job situation up in the air.  Giving her that pitiful elementary school award.  That should have been the final incentive for her to leave the firm.

LOL, Ahmal is a terrible landlord.  While I can't blame Issa for not wanting to live with him, Daniel was the worst possible second choice.  Really?  We're going back to that?  He must really be sprung on her.

That scene with Issa and Lawrence was heartbreaking.  And once Lawrence teared up I was done.  Glad he finally owned up to his part in the bullshit.  Ok, Lawrence.  You're off my shit list.  Bye Aparna.  Don't blame her for dumping Lawrence, but I wasn't a fan of her, anyway.

I knew the boss would find out about the issues at the school, but again, how is this all Issa's fault?  Why the hell did she take all the blame?  Frieda gets promoted, despite knowing about the problem and not doing jack shit about it?  Seeing Issa kiss up to her was painful.

31 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

How soon is next season??

Not soon enough!

Edited by Amethyst
  • Love 7

First, let me address the most important thing, there was not enough Due North.  And the finale was so confusing.  Like, who had the affair with the matriarch?  Was it a woman (slave) we knew?  They need to put that online ASAP.

I really felt for for both Issa and Molly at work.  Molly because I know how scary it is to leave a place you know for somewhere you don't.  And she knows the challenges she faces at her current firm whereas she doesn't know what she'd face at the new firm.  Kelli kind of touched on this in a joking way but it's true.  And I don't think she said whether or not she'd get a raise.  She might be on more equal footing but not every firm will pay equally.

I thought Issa's boss was ridiculous in how she reacted to what Issa told her and how it was handled.  If anything, she should have told Issa to offer the weekend program to everyone. 

The Lawrence and Issa conversation was really nice but it's true, it rarely happens. I tend to think they did this so they can have Lawrence integrate more into the friend group next season.  And having Issa move in with Daniel is their way of keeping him around, I guess.  That was one move that made no sense.

Dro, sadly, was so predictable on Molly's part. It's like she made a half-hearted attempt with her Chicago colleague and used it as an excuse to go back to Dro when it didn't work out. 

• Love 3

Sooooo, Frieda has done nothing but ride Issa's coattails, and orchestrated half of this mess in the first place, but sits by and let's Issa get hung out to dry? And gets promoted on top of it to boot? Screw that. Issa needs to start her own shit and leave this struggle White Guilt establishment.

Those partners don't care to retain Molly, they're just using what little time they have left to slap her face all over their website and brag about how inclusive and diverse they are before she inevitably jumps ship.

That Chicago colleague was hilarious. How did he get his pants off so fast?! There is literally no chance the poor dude even brought his A game because he was so thunderstruck that this was even happening to him. If Molly really wanted something healthy, she would have gone back to Marketing Professional Hottie, apologized, and asked to start over. Guess she just loves fuckboys and drama.

I need a full order of Due North immediately. "I hate slavery!" OMG, I was dying.

• Love 15

Enigma, I like Aparna, too. I was impressed that she shut down Lawrence and his BS jealousy so quickly. Some women might have put up with it and tried placate or reassure him. She was just like "Nope, I'm out," giving him no leeway at all.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, rozen said:

Sooooo, Frieda has done nothing but ride Issa's coattails, and orchestrated half of this mess in the first place, but sits by and let's Issa get hung out to dry? And gets promoted on top of it to boot? Screw that. Issa needs to start her own shit and leave this struggle White Guilt establishment.

Those partners don't care to retain Molly, they're just using what little time they have left to slap her face all over their website and brag about how inclusive and diverse they are before she inevitably jumps ship.

That Chicago colleague was hilarious. How did he get his pants off so fast?! There is literally no chance the poor dude even brought his A game because he was so thunderstruck that this was even happening to him. If Molly really wanted something healthy, she would have gone back to Marketing Professional Hottie, apologized, and asked to start over. Guess she just loves fuckboys and drama.

I need a full order of Due North immediately. "I hate slavery!" OMG, I was dying.

I kinda like Frieda, but what the hell was stopping her from telling her boss the VP was racist?  Why does she get a promotion while Issa gets a beat down?

Does it seem like most of the people that work at that nonprofit are asses..I hope this not true in real life.

Pastor body was way too worshipful of Molly.  Yes, maybe she was a little out of his league, but it seemed a bit much.  I knew she was going to get sick of him and go back to Dro.

If Issa and L could have reached this level of understanding while they were dating, then the life she dreamed about could have happened and yes, it's both their faults.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Pregnancy must be a good color on Tiffany, because this was the nicest she's ever been.  

Interesting with the different POVs, but the tonal shifts were confusing.  Especially after Issa and Lawrence's emotional conversation, then jumping to Issa and Molly having dinner.

Disappointed that they left Molly's job situation up in the air.  Giving her that pitiful elementary school award.  That should have been the final incentive for her to leave the firm.

LOL, Ahmal is a terrible landlord.  While I can't blame Issa for not wanting to live with him, Daniel was the worst possible second choice.  Really?  We're going back to that?  He must really be sprung on her.

That scene with Issa and Lawrence was heartbreaking.  And once Lawrence teared up I was done.  Glad he finally owned up to his part in the bullshit.  Ok, Lawrence.  You're off my shit list.  Bye Aparna.  Don't blame her for dumping Lawrence, but I wasn't a fan of her, anyway.

I knew the boss would find out about the issues at the school, but again, how is this all Issa's fault?  Why the hell did she take all the blame?  Frieda gets promoted, despite knowing about the problem and not doing jack shit about it?  Seeing Issa kiss up to her was painful.

Not soon enough!

6 hours ago, rozen said:

Frieda getting promoted was such bullshit. She could have spoken up at some point, instead she passively went along with allowing Mr. Gaines to direct only one population to the after school program. 

If that dumb ass participation certificate didn't clue Molly in, then I don't know what will. The partners know that she's interviewing, which would say that she's not completely satisfied with her current position (because people don't just up and interview if they're totally happy at the current company), and their response to that is some print shop certificate?! Molly, they don't value you! She already knows that she works a helluva lot harder than Travis and she's not being compensated accordingly while he goofs off and bring in nearly $7K after taxes. Now they print out a certificate (did they at least use heavy card stock, damn?) and say that they'll feature her heavily on their website. All this after she came to them with a conversation about a raise, and after they learned she was interviewing. Molly needed to go back to the Black firm, and negotiate and get the hell up out of her current firm. 

5 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

Enigma, I like Aparna, too. I was impressed that she shut down Lawrence and his BS jealousy so quickly. Some women might have put up with it and tried placate or reassure him. She was just like "Nope, I'm out," giving him no leeway at all.

That whole mess between Lawrence and Aparna is why you don't need to be screwing where you work, or if you are, then you keep it on the hush hush until you know it's something serious. And that's part of why I don't care for Aparna. She knows nothing about discretion and she's messy as hell. That she invited herself to a birthday dinner after knowing that Lawrence's ex was going to be there told me all I needed to know about her. Lawrence was being an ass about the Chad (Corey? What's dude's name?) situation, but Aparna is still a messy chick with no sense of what's appropriate.

• Love 17

I adore this show, there is always so much to unpack.

I loved everything about this finale, everything, Issa Rae is awesome and so was the scene between her character and Lawrence. I knew that whole happily ever montage HAD to be a dream. The entire time I was like no way is this real, no way.

Good lord, do I love Kelly, the stuff that comes out of her mouth without any hesitation nor regret, love it.

So Molly's job situation...that was left up in the air right? Or are we to assume that she decided to stay with the "whites" because the "blacks" weren't where she'd find the money? Although at her current job, she's looking for more money. I can't get over that paper gold star award they gave her, LOL.  

Ugh, Dro is back, Issa is on Daniel's couch. Although, I love how Issa told Molly she loved her too much to stay with her any longer or move in. No, she'll just impose on Daniel and torture him some more, LOL.

Aparna gets a clap from me for nipping Lawrence's bullshit in the bud, she wasted no time. I do like her.

I don't know how to feel about Issa's job situation. I like the consequences that she had to deal with, but I just feel that Frieda does and does not deserve that promotion. She could have very well gone over Issa's head to the boss, and that's what she should have done. So she was passively complicit in what went down. She didn't need to wait for Issa, to take charge and do the right thing and put the discrimination in the report. If you're going to be given a promotion that makes you a leader, then you need to lead. You need to be able to make the call when your back is up against the wall. I don't think she did this entirely.

I love that guy.

What did he say is his daughter's favorite meal?

Bauliflower soup. I think he has a letter C or B issue.

I know, I'm going to miss him, hot mess. The best part was when Issa said something to effect of "Good luck" to the little girl, LOL.

Oh, I forgot about Molly and the Chicago guy, yeah, if he doesn't make you tingle, then why fake it. Dro isn't the answer IMO, because the tingle he's giving won't be enough in the long run because of his wife. But why play around with the other guy when you know he's really into you but you just can't get there.

LOL, I know it would be must see tv for me. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 2

I screamed when Issa told Thug Yoda's daughter, "good luck, girl".

I may have some thoughts on the finale later, but Due North was doing the most. That shit looks like a Tyler Perry show on Oprah's channel. It is so bad and so embarrassing, I was literally cringing. It was like a train wreck. That said, if it was a real show, people would watch the shut out if it. I HATE SLAVERY! I can't.

• Love 5

If that dumb ass participation certificate didn't clue Molly in, then I don't know what will. The partners know that she's interviewing, which would say that she's not completely satisfied with her current position (because people don't just up and interview if they're totally happy at the current company), and their response to that is some print shop certificate?! Molly, they don't value you! She already knows that she works a helluva lot harder than Travis and she's not being compensated accordingly while he goofs off and bring in nearly $7K after taxes. Now they print out a certificate (did they at least use heavy card stock, damn?) and say that they'll feature her heavily on their website. All this after she came to them with a conversation about a raise, and after they learned she was interviewing. Molly needed to go back to the Black firm, and negotiate and get the hell up out of her current firm. 

Let me just go on record and say that I'm through with Molly. I adore her friendship with Issa, but that's it. She doesn't want to win.

You know she was probably happy with that bullshit certificate. I hope next season her therapist gets to the root of why Molly thinks she deserves crumbs. She's turned down several men who are available, interested, and drama-free, all to settle for being a sidepiece. Why? 

Given her track record, I doubt she's leaving her firm. The other firm she interviewed with offered her a position, I'm sure with a higher salary, but because in her mind she doesn't deserve good things, she'll most likely stay at a firm that undervalues her, because she doesn't value herself.

Issa's final conversation with Lawrence was well done. Kudos to both Issa and Jay for putting in their best work during that scene. Maybe now they'll allow themselves to properly grieve their relationship. No ho phases, no rebounds. 

I don't know how I feel about Frieda. Sometimes, I think she's a stealth Darth Becky. 

• Love 11

I wonder, at what point do things get too awkward for Aparna at work with all these exes littering the field?

Aw, Molly, no. I guess she felt like she needed a win after her bosses shot her down but Dro, IMO, is slow ride to failure. And they left us hanging on whether Dro's wife knows she's in an open marriage. Saving that drama for next season then.

It's tricky to make comedy out of such a painful subject but "I hate slavery!" was a winner.

So is Issa now going to do to Daniel what Lawrence did to her? Hopefully she'll recognize her own hypocrisy before several years have passed.

Me too until it became clear it was a fantasy. I hate dream sequences! It's like bait and switch.

I can't get over that paper gold star award they gave her, LOL.   

Me either. That was quite an insult, especially since they told her they knew she was out interviewing with other firms. They might as well have given her the Get Over It or Get to Steppin Award.

• Love 9
41 minutes ago, Sheenieb said:

Let me just go on record and say that I'm through with Molly. I adore her friendship with Issa, but that's it. She doesn't want to win.

You know she was probably happy with that bullshit certificate. I hope next season her therapist gets to the root of why Molly thinks she deserves crumbs. She's turned down several men who are available, interested, and drama-free, all to settle for being a sidepiece. Why? 

Given her track record, I doubt she's leaving her firm. The other firm she interviewed with offered her a position, I'm sure with a higher salary, but because in her mind she doesn't deserve good things, she'll most likely stay at a firm that undervalues her, because she doesn't value herself.

Issa's final conversation with Lawrence was well done. Kudos to both Issa and Jay for putting in their best work during that scene. Maybe now they'll allow themselves to properly grieve their relationship. No ho phases, no rebounds. 

I don't know how I feel about Frieda. Sometimes, I think she's a stealth Darth Becky. 

I hope Molly gets over herself and moves to the black firm.  Then the next season her old firm begs her to come back, because all the boys are too busy going to sporting events to do any work.

She really makes her brothers seem trifling and I guess she is sorta the star of her family.

Wasn’t too much of a fan of the out of the blue format for the finale, but oh well. 

Molly – do you ever use condoms?  Dro in the bday dinner bathroom and now with Pastor body.  WTF?!?!? She continues to be on the bad decision 2017 world tour and doesn’t look like it is winding down anytime soon.  There was no good reason to escalate the dynamic with her mentor and friend Pastor body.  Now she has one more uncomfortable relationship under her belt.   Also, Glad to see she is back in therapy but I gotta assume she hasn’t brought up the Dro situation to her therapist.   Molly really hasn’t thought this through.  What fantasy has she worked up in her head?  Do you think he is going to leave his wife?  And if he does leave her for you are you ready to be in an open relationship with him?  Once in the relationship will you be able to trust him ever? Just a matter of time before she is pregnant.    

I liked the scene between Issa and Lawrence.  Glad they were able to say those things to each other.  Both accepting blame and apologizing for it.  Good steps toward closure. I don’t think they are completely done and can see using him as a plot device in 2 years when the show eventually gets into a slump.   Not surprised at Lawrence and Arpana’s (sp?) crash and burn.  It was too soon for him to be in a relationship with anyone especially since he has not worked though his feelings.   Anyone who has gone through a breakup that he has gone through is definitely going to have trust issues. 

I don’t have a problem with Issa being skipped over for the promotion.  I understand the President’s reaction.  Issa opened the company up to a lawsuit and that showed incredible lack of judgement.  Also, the position, I believe, was Director of Recruitment or something along those lines and given the positions responsibilities Issa going down the road of creating a separate and equal situation with the weekend classes  was huge mistake.  Also, Issa, rightfully or wrongly, accepted full responsibility for keeping the racial dynamics from the president which I think to the president was the bigger issue.  I think it was Issa’s thought process and judgement that did her in. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, NYCNJbear06 said:

Wasn’t too much of a fan of the out of the blue format for the finale, but oh well. 

Molly – do you ever use condoms?  Dro in the bday dinner bathroom and now with Pastor body.  WTF?!?!? She continues to be on the bad decision 2017 world tour and doesn’t look like it is winding down anytime soon.  There was no good reason to escalate the dynamic with her mentor and friend Pastor body.  Now she has one more uncomfortable relationship under her belt.   Also, Glad to see she is back in therapy but I gotta assume she hasn’t brought up the Dro situation to her therapist.   Molly really hasn’t thought this through.  What fantasy has she worked up in her head?  Do you think he is going to leave his wife?  And if he does leave her for you are you ready to be in an open relationship with him?  Once in the relationship will you be able to trust him ever? Just a matter of time before she is pregnant.    

I liked the scene between Issa and Lawrence.  Glad they were able to say those things to each other.  Both accepting blame and apologizing for it.  Good steps toward closure. I don’t think they are completely done and can see using him as a plot device in 2 years when the show eventually gets into a slump.   Not surprised at Lawrence and Arpana’s (sp?) crash and burn.  It was too soon for him to be in a relationship with anyone especially since he has not worked though his feelings.   Anyone who has gone through a breakup that he has gone through is definitely going to have trust issues. 

I don’t have a problem with Issa being skipped over for the promotion.  I understand the President’s reaction.  Issa opened the company up to a lawsuit and that showed incredible lack of judgement.  Also, the position, I believe, was Director of Recruitment or something along those lines and given the positions responsibilities Issa going down the road of creating a separate and equal situation with the weekend classes  was huge mistake.  Also, Issa, rightfully or wrongly, accepted full responsibility for keeping the racial dynamics from the president which I think to the president was the bigger issue.  I think it was Issa’s thought process and judgement that did her in. 

I don't have a problem with Issa not being promoted for those reasons. My issue is that what leadership did Frieda show for her to be the recipient of the promotion? In a way, it just parallels the shit that Molly is dealing with at her firm. The white dude who is a goof off, who shows no leadership capacity, is still being compensated generously. Similarly, Frieda got a promotion for doing what exactly? Not being Issa?

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Mozelle said:

If that dumb ass participation certificate didn't clue Molly in, then I don't know what will. The partners know that she's interviewing, which would say that she's not completely satisfied with her current position (because people don't just up and interview if they're totally happy at the current company), and their response to that is some print shop certificate?! Molly, they don't value you! She already knows that she works a helluva lot harder than Travis and she's not being compensated accordingly while he goofs off and bring in nearly $7K after taxes. Now they print out a certificate (did they at least use heavy card stock, damn?) and say that they'll feature her heavily on their website. All this after she came to them with a conversation about a raise, and after they learned she was interviewing. Molly needed to go back to the Black firm, and negotiate and get the hell up out of her current firm. 

If Molly stays, she will be having the same conversation with the partners a year from now because she'll have taught them that she can be placated by that condescending-ass certificate. If you want to retain a good employee that a) has told you she wants more money and b) has started taking interviews elsewhere, you have to actually give her something. More money is the first place to start; if there is none, then you tell them that and offer something else - a key project, flex time, more PTO. They're not doing anything to convince her to stay and they deserve to lose her. I REALLY hope she at least has her head on straight where her professional life is concerned. I see some of myself in Molly in terms of not always recognizing my worth (therapy has helped a ton so I hope she keeps going), but I've made really strong gains toward recognizing that I bring a lot to the table professionally and am actually looking to leave my job because I'm more ambitious than it allows.

The Dro thing is just ... girl. You know this isn't what you want. Love yourself. 

Is everybody at Aparna and Lawrence's work sleeping together? Messy!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, qtpye said:

I kinda like Frieda, but what the hell was stopping her from telling her boss the VP was racist?  Why does she get a promotion while Issa gets a beat down?

Because if nothing else, this show is real as f*ck and that shit happens everyday in real life.

Chad was killing it this week.  First with the "Jasmine." Then observing that women don't need male friends.  " Just a spare dick around for no reason!" 

I'm so done with Molly.  

Issa and Lawrence broke my heart.  But I agree with y'all--maturity like that never happens in real life. 

Due North needs to be HBOs new show instead of that bullshit Confederate.  

• Love 5

Again I have to defend Lawrence.

It's not actually defending him it's just looking at both sides of an issue. Now, yes that blow up basically happened over Lawrence and his insecurities. But, remove that and just a person in a relationship getting that info. Aparma has been shitting on that dude all over the office. Calling them a drunken mistake. Now It's somehow a mistake she makes multiple times... but she don't like the dude....and it was just because she was drunk everytime...and you are doing all that with a colleague. A colleague that she mocks a lot. But she's seems super cool with him anyway. From the outside it reads as super fishy. It could all mean nothing and everything Aparma said is honest. I don't blame any person from having cause for concern here.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, PetuniaP said:

It's the LA LA Land ending! I didn't really love that but everything else was pretty great. The real Isaa-Lawrence breakup was sweet and intimate and real. I liked that they admitted to still loving each other, I think that's important, to be honest about that at the end. I'm also perversely glad that we haven't seen the last of Daniel because his chemistry with Issa is fire, even though her going back to that made no sense. Also not surprised to see Molly not ready to give up Dro. Looking forward to more of that storyline next season! Issa's work storyline seemed unresolved. It looks like she might get fired but then her coworker gets promoted? Wha? 

So that was Tiffany and Derek's big secret? She had an emotional affair with a coworker named Fred? Blah. 

(1) not just emotional and (2) she's still having it.  Derek told the boys she was at Issa's watching the Due North finale and then when we saw Issa nem, she texted Kelli to say she wasn't coming.    They said they'd been trying to get pregnant early on for a while, then bam outta the blue.  Wait'll Derek gets a look at that Fred faced baby.   I watched the finale twice cause I was like, I feel like I'm missing something subtle but hella important.   Where was she ya'll?  lol.   

I see you Issa Rae, you thought you could slick slide one past us.  

11 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Brauliflower!

Poor baby lol!! 

11 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Not soon enough!

Lmaooooo!!!!  Yo.  That kid should never, ever cut his hair.   It's impossible not to come away with #BelugaBae.

9 hours ago, rozen said:

This whole thing.  I rewound because I was like when did his pants come off?   In slow mo, you can see he's unbuckling at the same time she's taking off her shirt.   Ok look, that's as good as it's gone get right there, a glass of henny, catching vibes in the conference room and an unmistakable kiss from a woman you think is everything?  If that isn't A game inspirational, trust it's only gonna get more whack.     That's really what drove her back to Dro, Pastor was aight but Molly need to be slayed.   Derwin's babymuva is gonna whip. that. ass.  Who is Marketing Professional Hottie, I don't remember him.

1 hour ago, Sheenieb said:

I don't know how I feel about Frieda. Sometimes, I think she's a stealth Darth Becky

If you don't get the hell on!

giphy.gif

18 minutes ago, NYCNJbear06 said:

I wasn't here for Freida's position initially but what changed for me was the realization that the program was essentially Issa's to run.  Yes she could've gone over Issa's head but it was more important to get Issa to acknowledge that it was wrong so she could've gone to their boss on her own.   I owe Frieda an apology.   It's hard to appreciate a discrimination speech from her, but she was trying to help Issa (and the kids) by staying in her lane but asking her to do something.   By choosing not to bring it up at all with her boss, outside of including it in the report, she could've mentioned it separately, she opened the company up to potential liability.  She said she hadn't thought about it that way and that's got to be part of it.  It was bigger than her personal feelings. 

That scene in the kitchen.    Ya'll.  lower lip flap, quick snot, real and hard tear drops were shed over people who don't even exist lol.    Then just as I was finished sopping those up, when he's about to leave and takes a knee?  Ok, I knew she was daydreaming but seeing it from her perspective, like this is what my life could've been if I hadn't fucked it up......seriously I had to pause the tv to fix my breathing.

Aparna.   I love and hate her.    It's irrational but hear me out.   She's in the way of my fantasy reconciliation.  Even though I don't really want them to get back together because I don't think they're good for each other, she's wrecking what I think could happen (issa's daydream).    She's messy for sure.   And immature.  Why are we broadcasting our business at work?  And she lied.  She said she slept with ole catnip eating dude one time.  This episode it came out that they were regular drive bys.   The thing I love about her is how few fucks she's got to give about his feelings.   She is not here for any of his unsorted Brian McKnight bullshit and straight bounced, in traffic.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
58 minutes ago, ZaldamoWilder said:

(1) not just emotional and (2) she's still having it.  Derek told the boys she was at Issa's watching the Due North finale and then when we saw Issa nem, she texted Kelli to say she wasn't coming.    They said they'd been trying to get pregnant early on for a while, then bam outta the blue.  Wait'll Derek gets a look at that Fred faced baby.   I watched the finale twice cause I was like, I feel like I'm missing something subtle but hella important.   Where was she ya'll?  lol.   

Poor baby lol!! 

Lmaooooo!!!!  Yo.  That kid should never, ever cut his hair.   It's impossible not to come away with #BelugaBae.

This whole thing.  I rewound because I was like when did his pants come off?   In slow mo, you can see he's unbuckling at the same time she's taking off her shirt.   Ok look, that's as good as it's gone get right there, a glass of henny, catching vibes in the conference room and an unmistakable kiss from a woman you think is everything?  If that isn't A game inspirational, trust it's only gonna get more whack.     That's really what drove her back to Dro, Pastor was aight but Molly need to be slayed.   Derwin's babymuva is gonna whip. that. ass.  Who is Marketing Professional Hottie, I don't remember him.

If you don't get the hell on!

giphy.gif

I wasn't here for Freida's position initially but what changed for me was the realization that the program was essentially Issa's to run.  Yes she could've gone over Issa's head but it was more important to get Issa to acknowledge that it was wrong so she could've gone to their boss on her own.   I owe Frieda an apology.   It's hard to appreciate a discrimination speech from her, but she was trying to help Issa (and the kids) by staying in her lane but asking her to do something.   By choosing not to bring it up at all with her boss, outside of including it in the report, she could've mentioned it separately, she opened the company up to potential liability.  She said she hadn't thought about it that way and that's got to be part of it.  It was bigger than her personal feelings. 

That scene in the kitchen.    Ya'll.  lower lip flap, quick snot, real and hard tear drops were shed over people who don't even exist lol.    Then just as I was finished sopping those up, when he's about to leave and takes a knee?  Ok, I knew she was daydreaming but seeing it from her perspective, like this is what my life could've been if I hadn't fucked it up......seriously I had to pause the tv to fix my breathing.

Aparna.   I love and hate her.    It's irrational but hear me out.   She's in the way of my fantasy reconciliation.  Even though I don't really want them to get back together because I don't think they're good for each other, she's wrecking what I think could happen (issa's daydream).    She's messy for sure.   And immature.  Why are we broadcasting our business at work?  And she lied.  She said she slept with ole catnip eating dude one time.  This episode it came out that they were regular drive bys.   The thing I love about her is how few fucks she's got to give about his feelings.   She is not here for any of his unsorted Brian McKnight bullshit and straight bounced, in traffic.  

More like Carl Thomas with that mock turtleneck cable knit sweater...

59 minutes ago, Keepitmoving said:

I disagree, I think it's very rare, but it definitely happens.

So, that was weird. That post you quoted wasn't from me lol.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ZaldamoWilder said:

Who is Marketing Professional Hottie, I don't remember him.

I am pretty sure that is Sterling K. Brown's character. 

1 hour ago, Keepitmoving said:

I disagree, I think it's very rare, but it definitely happens.

It does.  I do think it happens more when there is co-parenting involved where the divorcing parties realize that it's better to be on good terms so they do the emotional work to get there.

• Love 1

That scene in the kitchen.    Ya'll.  lower lip flap, quick snot, real and hard tear drops were shed over people who don't even exist lol.   

Z, if you aren't a writer, you damn sure need to consider a career change.  This shit is award-worthy.

You too, Mozelle.

11 minutes ago, Mozelle said:

More like Carl Thomas with that mock turtleneck cable knit sweater...

I.AM.DEAD.

• Love 5

Derek told the boys she was at Issa's watching the Due North finale and then when we saw Issa nem, she texted Kelli to say she wasn't coming.

I caught that, too. I just thought, "Hunh, that's funny." I didn't occur to me that she might be with Fred, but that would be the perfect plot twist. Maybe that effusive birthday speech was her way of covering up her guilt.

• Love 2

Like I said before, I've never met a couple that was that effusive in their praise of each other & the relationship that was actually that happy. Usually the more over the top the professions of love, the shakier the union. So I bet Tiffany is cheating.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, mrsbagnet said:

I caught that, too. I just thought, "Hunh, that's funny." I didn't occur to me that she might be with Fred, but that would be the perfect plot twist. Maybe that effusive birthday speech was her way of covering up her guilt.

So are we thinking that baby might not be Derek's?

• Love 1

I thought Issa was genuinely happy for Frieda, not sucking up to her.  No sign of resentment at being passed over for the promotion.

And she took the responsibility for this weekend Latino-only session, didn't say both she and Frieda came up with it.

Given what was going on with her personal life all season, it's not inconceivable that she made decisions in her work that she otherwise wouldn't have.

We'll see if they do more with the Daniel and Dro characters next season.  Is the show reluctant to let go of these secondary characters whose possible story ideas seemed played out?  For instance, they didn't keep the Asian co-worker of Molly from the first season who got engaged, which annoyed Molly.

Speaking of co-workers, Issa doesn't socialize with any of her co-workers?  Seems like most of them make you want to eyeball but Frieda came across sympathetically.  Molly has obviously socialized with a colleague but in the first season, she was looking for a fellow professional so it's odd that she stopped trying to date professional men, instead retreating to hanging with friends from childhood.

Lawrence socializes all the time with co-workers but maybe he'll back off that in the future.

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, Keepitmoving said:

So are we thinking that baby might not be Derek's?

Yuuup, yuuuup lol.  I mean not that this means anything because it happens once in a while but she said they'd tried everything to get pregnant and had finally given up.   Hell, maybe I'm just ear hustling too closely but this combined with don't nobody know where Tiff was + just a spare dick around for no reason + whatever slip up had Derek put out and at the Extended Stay America for 6 months = some spicy orange pekoe premium darjeeling.    She's pedastal'y as hell so that fall is coming any day now. 

• Love 9

I thought Issa was genuinely happy for Frieda, not sucking up to her.  No sign of resentment at being passed over for the promotion.

Yeah, I didn't think she was sucking up either, it was a nice, professional thing to do while the others, especially that guy, acted so unprofessionally about it. I died laughing at his reaction and his side kick, that "wanted" him to get the promotion. When the boss announced the promotion, Issa was the first one to start clapping and then looked around the table because the others weren't trying to clap.

I previously posted that I had mixed feelings about her promotion, even though Issa was the lead on the project and it was her program to run, there's part of me that still feels a real leader would go over her head and make the call. Frieda didn't do this. Issa was the boss on that project, but ultimately she isn't a superior with real power over Frieda. That being said, I definitely don't think Issa deserved any promotion and if the boss had to give it to anyone there, yeah, it would be Frieda.

Can someone tell me what the guys were looking at when they were watching Due North? When Lawrence, Chad and Greg were at his place and Due North came on they all turned their heads to the side as if the graphics might have been in the shape of maybe some female anatomy? Is that what they were looking at? That was the only thing I could think of them noticing and then having that reaction.

Chad with his extra dick hanging around, love him. He never knows, nor uses the names of any of the women Lawrence is dating. He always calls Issa "Old Girl."

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

Exactly, it's suppose to be a parody right? Just like Defamation on the show Dear White People, hilarious.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. It is hilarious. I was just saying it seemed just bad enough to be a real show.

23 minutes ago, Keepitmoving said:

Can someone tell me what the guys were looking at when they were watching Due North? When Lawrence, Chad and Greg were at his place and Due North came on they all turned their heads to the side as if the graphics might have been in the shape of maybe some female anatomy? Is that what they were looking at? That was the only thing I could think of them noticing and then having that reaction.

Chad with his extra dick hanging around, love him. He never knows, nor uses the names of any of the women Lawrence is dating. He always calls Issa "Old Girl."

My assumption was that they trying to figure out if the tv was put up on a slant (crooked).

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Keepitmoving said:

I rewound the scene like 4 times and couldn't figure that out either!

1 hour ago, Keepitmoving said:

I previously posted that I had mixed feelings about her promotion, even though Issa was the lead on the project and it was her program to run, there's part of me that still feels a real leader would go over her head and make the call. Frieda didn't do this. Issa was the boss on that project, but ultimately she isn't a superior with real power over Frieda.

I agree.  Frieda could have also said to Issa, "Here are some possible solutions to the problem I brought up.  Since you're the lead, I'll leave it up to you to decide if you want to move forward on any of them, but this could be a potential problem that I think we should try to ahead of."  But she waited until Issa proposed some ideas and then said, I thought the same thing too.  If Issa had not have said anything, would she have just gone through the rest of the school year being passive aggressive about it?  That's not what a leader does.  

5 hours ago, ZaldamoWilder said:

Oh I caught this too!  Very suspicious that Tiffany's man thought she was one place and her alibi's thought she was somewhere else.  At least go meet up with your friends and find an excuse to leave early to cover all your bases girl!  That said, I was very concerned about how Derek was talking about Fred, especially when he said Fred was nowhere anymore.  I was like, uhmmmmm did Derek murder Fred? What the hell?  But it's probably more like Tiffany told Derek that Fred was out of the picture. had a different job, etc. to get him to drop it.

The montage of Due North episodes at the end just killed me.  So fucking ridiculous/hilarious.

I couldn't stand Aparna, but I was right there with her when she said, "Nope.  I'm not doing this shit with you," and had Lawrence pull over the car.  She is messy as hell to be fucking all those people in her own department(!), but that's her business.  And if she has already told your ass that there is nothing going on, either believe her or don't and make a decision without all the fucking passive aggressive bullshit Lawrence.  Geez.

• Love 3

LMAO! Oh lord, they do have the entire season of Due North at the end of the finale in the HBO on Demand version.

LOL, OMG, you all have got to watch it, it's uncut, it's so good.

Natasha Rothwell AKA Kelly is something else. What a sick mind to come up with this show.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 3

Every time I see "Due North" I think of the Game of Thrones' creators' confederate show.   And I laugh. 

And yes, Issa needs a new job. It's interesting that Freida got the promotion, though they were both involved in the "segregated" program. Yes, Issa took responsibility but Freida was there, too. 

• Love 1