Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Tonya and Nancy

2 hours ago, CanadaPhil said:

You must be very young.... just Google "Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan"

Oh, I'm plenty old enough to remember T&N.  I also remember being bored silly by the entire spectacle, but that pretty much applies to me and figure skating any time.  Put the skiing or bobsledding back on, where there's a decent chance of a real injury (snark).  Sorry to range off topic; I tend to agree with cinless in that the episode titles are a mystery.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:03 PM, dubbel zout said:

When Joe was talking about click beetles and his cochlea,  a line Lee Pace had as Aaron in Wonderfalls popped into my head: "I wanna see an enlarged cloaca!" Hee.

I also like the Airstream as a little Wonderfalls Easter egg too. 

I am so sick of Cameron.  All she does is whine.  I don’t know if her little melt down in the woods was supposed to be in any way funny, but I just found it annoying. Then her moping when Joe had people over.  Ugh.  She was the one who wanted to go live in the woods.  Was he supposed to just sit in his apartment and mourn her absence?

I get that Cameron was trying to help Bos, but did it never occur to her how pissed Joe and Gordon were going to be?  She looked so upset at the end like it never occurred to her, but I had absolutely zero sympathy for her because I am so sick of her character. 

Shallow alert- Joe looks soooooo much better with the haircut!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

I am so sick of Cameron.  All she does is whine.  I don’t know if her little melt down in the woods was supposed to be in any way funny, but I just found it annoying. Then her moping when Joe had people over.  Ugh.  She was the one who wanted to go live in the woods.  Was he supposed to just sit in his apartment and mourn her absence?

I get that Cameron was trying to help Bos, but did it never occur to her how pissed Joe and Gordon were going to be?  She looked so upset at the end like it never occurred to her, but I had absolutely zero sympathy for her because I am so sick of her character. 

Shallow alert- Joe looks soooooo much better with the haircut!

Was she moping because Bos and Gordon came over? Maybe I need to see it again, but that wasn't the impression I got. I also thought they'd both invited Bos and Gordo over.

Cameron never thought Joe and Gordon, or anyone, would find out. She trusts Bos, and has good reason to -- up until now anyway. I suspect someone else found out somehow, and not through Bos doing any lip-flapping.

Have to second your shallow alert. He looks great now.

• Love 3

No, I think they meant that when Cameron came back to Joe's, she looked miffed there were people there because Joe said, "Oh, I didn't know you were coming over tonight," and then went with her down the hallway to talk. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Catbookss said:

Was she moping because Bos and Gordon came over? Maybe I need to see it again, but that wasn't the impression I got. I also thought they'd both invited Bos and Gordo over.

Cameron never thought Joe and Gordon, or anyone, would find out. She trusts Bos, and has good reason to -- up until now anyway. I suspect someone else found out somehow, and not through Bos doing any lip-flapping.

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

No, I think they meant that when Cameron came back to Joe's, she looked miffed there were people there because Joe said, "Oh, I didn't know you were coming over tonight," and then went with her down the hallway to talk. 

Yeah.  I meant when Cam showed up at Joe's and people were there. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I am so sick of Cameron.  All she does is whine.  I don’t know if her little melt down in the woods was supposed to be in any way funny, but I just found it annoying.....

I think the Chris-is-is-izz are having delusions of grandeur. Unfortunately, they are not Vince Gilligan and the only characters who can pull off angry rants in tightie whities and getting drenched in excrement water are Walter White and Jesse Pinkman.

I found those scenes a bit ridiculous... but not in a funny way. 

• Love 2
On Sunday, September 10, 2017 at 5:42 AM, AllyB said:

I spent the first 90% of the episode mainly distracted by why Cameron, who is dating a giant of a man, would buy that tiny trailer and think he would come live in it with her. A trailer the size of a small apartment isn't too expensive, even in present day, and could still have led to all the drama of Boz coming to fix something and Cameron finding out about his financial woes. It would also have made Joe's dislike of retired rural living manifesting in an irrational fear of beetles more relevant because the only excuse he needs for not living in Cameron's trailer is that he can't stand up in it. I just hate when the show makes the characters so ridiculous for no good reason.

I also felt throughout the episode like it was being very heavily hinted that Comet and Rover are two halves of a potentially successful whole and they will either eventually merge and succeed or continue fighting and fail. But either way the series is setting to end on a message that the four main characters all need each other if they really want to make a lasting mark on the tech world.

Joanie is definitely blackmailing Hayley. Most likely about whatever it is that Hayley was crying about in the car a few episodes ago.

Cameron is a thirty year old punk rocker that is too cool for the school she aged out of years ago.  Depite being pretty self centere, she is very good at getting people to cater to her.

She never condidered Joe for one second when she bought her land and set up her tiny Airstream.  She just thought of what she wanted and surely Joe would just come along to make her happy.

I do not have to mention that Donna is still longing for Cam's friendship and respect.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Whimsy said:

Yeah.  I meant when Cam showed up at Joe's and people were there. 

Okay, I got you now. I read it that she was disappointed Joe fell asleep the first night in the trailer. Presumably it was the next day everything went pear-shaped at her trailer, and she showed up unexpectedly at Joe's, still upset and probably wanting to vent to him about it, and instead found Joe with a bunch of people she didn't know so she couldn't talk it out with him. Human and understandable, but childish of her (I know, whodda thought?) to not even come in and say hello, then begging off and going to bed.

• Love 1
On 9/11/2017 at 0:51 PM, Whimsy said:

I am so sick of Cameron.  All she does is whine.  I don’t know if her little melt down in the woods was supposed to be in any way funny, but I just found it annoying.

I was hoping to see MacKenzie Davis sopping wet in her underwear before the series was over, and there she was.

Only Cameron could think you can fix a dripping faucet by pounding on it. It completely showed her advanced problem solving skills that have gotten her so far in life.

• Love 2

I think this might be the first time we've seen Joe socializing with a larger group of people, where he genuinely seemed to want to be doing it, instead of doing it as part of the image of who he thinks Joe should be (like at the parties he used to throw last season). 

Every season, Joe's character changes. This is the first one where he seems like he's becoming comfortable with who he is instead of being self conscious about the image he is portraying. 

Donna, on the other hand, seems to have taken on a complete reversal of roles. She's now consumed by her status and how the world views her. 

• Love 3

And Cameron has regressed back to S1 Cameron where she exudes the vibe of a homeless hipster doofus.

Will she entertain us with scenes of stealing games of Centipede in a dank, dingy arcade by using a quarter tied to some fishline in upcoming episodes??.. We can only hope??  

;P

• Love 2
On 9/11/2017 at 4:05 PM, Catbookss said:

I vote for Tanya sleuthing around & finding out or guessing it was Cameron.

• Love 1
On 9/10/2017 at 2:42 AM, AllyB said:

. A trailer the size of a small apartment isn't too expensive, even in present day,

Not to get too far off topic, but I got to thinking about Airstream trailers, so I looked it up.  They make a variety of sizes, and from the looks of it, the  model she bought would be around $70,000 new.  The trailers we all see on the road (25' or so) start at $139,000.  I knew Airstream was the Rolls Royce of trailers, but that really set me back.  If you're going to fling that kind of cash around, Cameron, you'd better learn how to take care of it, or have the service department on speed dial. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

Not to get too far off topic, but I got to thinking about Airstream trailers, so I looked it up.  They make a variety of sizes, and from the looks of it, the  model she bought would be around $70,000 new.  

Yes, they cost about the same as my first house cost in 1993, but could you imagine Cameron doing something as sensible as buying a house? I can't. 

• Love 1

Maybe I'm misremembering but hasn't Cameron been in her panties at least twice this season?

If they're going to feature cheesecake, I'd rather it be Kerry Bishe but maybe she's too smart to consent to such scenes.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, scowl said:

Yes, they cost about the same as my first house cost in 1993, but could you imagine Cameron doing something as sensible as buying a house? I can't. 

21 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Owning a house is for squares, man. Cam needs the freedom of the open road.

You got to remember that Cam is way too punk rock to own a house.  Anarchy rules...unless it means you just can't take care of your shit and end up screaming in your underwear in the rain.

On 9/13/2017 at 0:13 PM, CanadaPhil said:

And Cameron has regressed back to S1 Cameron where she exudes the vibe of a homeless hipster doofus.

Will she entertain us with scenes of stealing games of Centipede in a dank, dingy arcade by using a quarter tied to some fishline in upcoming episodes??.. We can only hope??  

;P

I just watched a post mortem by the writers on ep 4 & they acknowledge Cameron is at loose ends but the woman producer Melissa, says, 'we've never seen Cameron like this'. Huh? This is the essence of Cameron. Unless she gets want she wants, like a petulant child she goes on some binge with no thought. Like screwing up WestNet & coding the algorithm for Rover...

Edited by cinles
  • Love 3
On September 13, 2017 at 9:28 AM, scowl said:

Only Cameron could think you can fix a dripping faucet by pounding on it. It completely showed her advanced problem solving skills that have gotten her so far in life.

Ha ha! So very true.

To others: She wasn't planning on living in the Airstream, BTW. She bought it to live in until she could build a house on the property.

• Love 1

I was a little confused about the airstream. She was living with Joe, then when she was showing it to him, she acted like he would be there, so was she going to live part time with Joe & part time in the airstream? Now she has real problems because once Joe finds out about Rover, she'll be real estate hunting again. Maybe she can pitch a tent. ?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, cinles said:

I was a little confused about the airstream. She was living with Joe, then when she was showing it to him, she acted like he would be there, so was she going to live part time with Joe & part time in the airstream? Now she has real problems because once Joe finds out about Rover, she'll be real estate hunting again. Maybe she can pitch a tent. ?

That's what I got: part time at the Airstream, part time in Joe's apartment.

8 hours ago, cinles said:

I just watched a post mortem by the writers on ep 4 & they acknowledge Cameron is at loose ends but the woman producer Melissa, says, 'we've never seen Cameron like this'. Huh? This the essence of Cameron. Unless she gets want she wants, like a petulant child, she goes on some binge with no thought.

Strange comment. She's changed slightly, but mostly it's the same old Cameron. Decidedly so when things don't go her way.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Catbookss said:

To others: She wasn't planning on living in the Airstream, BTW. She bought it to live in until she could build a house on the property.

I know that but she hasn't started building a house and once she does it could still take a year or so to complete. Tbh, I suspect that she'd have to save and find financing first too. I know a lot of people who have done similar but they've bought a proper sized mobile home to live in while they build/save to build. It's not even that expensive as they buy secondhand and then sell it once their house has been built with very little depreciation. So all they lose is the cost of having the mobile moved to their site when they bought it. You can get a 35"x12" for a few thousand, with proper kitchen, bedrooms and bathrooms (though obviously you need mains plumbing and/or a septic tank for the latter but you just sort that out for the mobile and then have a functioning system already in place when you are ready to build.) What you don't do is buy a teeny, tiny trailer and expect anyone to spend anything more than a rare and occasional night in it. Especially when you and your boyfriend are too tall to stand in it.

Edited by AllyB
On September 13, 2017 at 10:29 AM, cinles said:

I vote for Tanya sleuthing around & finding out or guessing it was Cameron.

Very likely. We know it wasn't Bos, and they've already set up Tanya as someone who's smart and thorough. The only other possibility I can see is Rover's coder.

17 minutes ago, Catbookss said:

Very likely. We know it wasn't Bos, and they've already set up Tanya as someone who's smart and thorough. The only other possibility I can see is Rover's coder.

I usually watch the episode online too, but I haven't this week. Isn't Tanya more than thorough? Didn't she look into Bos's personal business?

• Love 1

Tanya knows about Bos's money problems. She told him she's known for months but won't say anything to anyone.

I don't know why it wouldn't be anyone but Donna who figures it out. As soon as she heard the problem had been solved, it looked as if the wheels were turning. She knows it wasn't anyone on her staff.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, cinles said:

I usually watch the episode online too, but I haven't this week. Isn't Tanya more than thorough? Didn't she look into Bos's personal business?

Yes, she is and yes she did. She probably knows Bos went to the Big House for Cameron, and that C may be the only one capable of pulling off the algorithm. 2+2. But it might also be the Rover Coder who notices and puts it together … provided he knows about C.

6 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Tanya knows about Bos's money problems. She told him she's known for months but won't say anything to anyone.

I don't know why it wouldn't be anyone but Donna who figures it out. As soon as she heard the problem had been solved, it looked as if the wheels were turning. She knows it wasn't anyone on her staff.

It might be Donna. Tanya wouldn't spill the beans about Bos's money problems, but that doesn't preclude her from figuring out it was Cameron who fixed the algorithm and spilling those beans. Donna doesn't know about Bos's financial mess, unless Gordon mentioned it to her off-screen or will in the next episode. So why would she think C would do such a thing?

13 hours ago, AllyB said:

I know that but she hasn't started building a house and once she does it could still take a year or so to complete. Tbh, I suspect that she'd have to save and find financing first too. I know a lot of people who have done similar but they've bought a proper sized mobile home to live in while they build/save to build. It's not even that expensive as they buy secondhand and then sell it once their house has been built with very little depreciation. So all they lose is the cost of having the mobile moved to their site when they bought it. You can get a 35"x12" for a few thousand, with proper kitchen, bedrooms and bathrooms (though obviously you need mains plumbing and/or a septic tank for the latter but you just sort that out for the mobile and then have a functioning system already in place when you are ready to build.) What you don't do is buy a teeny, tiny trailer and expect anyone to spend anything more than a rare and occasional night in it. Especially when you and your boyfriend are too tall to stand in it.

As we all know, C is very, very impulsive. Bike breaks down, sees sign of lot for sale = buy it! Need somewhere to live on the property, remembers she loved playing in an Airstream when she was a kid = buy it! She's got some money from Space Bike. Not as much as the others have, but enough to buy the lot, the trailer, and build. I knew someone who bought a trailer about this size (and yes, she too was tall) to live in on her property while she built her house. She wasn't even impulsive or childish.

3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Because Donna knows Cameron. 

But that would help Donna, and she has no reason to. She has reason to not help her. D knows about the close relationship between B &C, and may be able to recognize the fingerprint of C's work. I don't think she knows B is in trouble, so there goes motive. 

8 minutes ago, Catbookss said:

But that would help Donna, and she has no reason to. She has reason to not help her. D knows about the close relationship between B &C, and may be able to recognize the fingerprint of C's work. I don't think she knows B is in trouble, so there goes motive. 

There are so many things we don't know. Does Donna know Cameron & Joe are back together? If I missed that, mea culpa. Someone finds out because of the convo between Cameron & Bos - but that didn't sound like a "Donna knows" conversation. More like Tanya or the coder knows. Actually wouldn't the coder have to know or was Bos passing code to him through a window? 

3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Because Donna knows Cameron. 

You're assuming in all these years Donna hasn't known or knows of other coders. For some reason, she got stuck with people who weren't the brightest bulbs, except Tanya & she's not a coder. That does bring up another question - why does she have such dufes when she's in a successful VC firm? Anyway, Donna may figure it out, because she knows her guys didn't do it.

• Love 1

One thing that was not so clear is...

Do the other players at the VC firm even realize that "Comet" was essentially brought to life with the input of Donna's own daughter??

Do they all understand that they ("Rover") are essentially fighting against Donna's youngest girl and her ex-husband??

Generally (in REAL life) that would probably not go over so well. I suppose the very first question would have been... "Donna, how the Hell could you let this happen!?"

But the real Elephant in the room is that Donna "winning" would mean her youngest child "losing"...at her mom's hands. 

They might as well be cueing up the appointments with the therapist now. ;)

Edited by CanadaPhil
  • Love 1
On 9/9/2017 at 11:43 PM, mjc570 said:

So - Joe/Gordon/Haley have invented (a sort of) Wikipedia ? 

Wikipedia (and the web itself) is a sort of non-relational database because one link leads you to another link and to another, instead of a big table. If you look at search engines now, like Google and Bing, they give you search results but also have some content sorted by category (news, shopping, images, video). Automatic indexing won the battle, but curation is still big. Facebook keeps getting flack for doing it.

On 9/10/2017 at 8:51 PM, CanadaPhil said:

Well, it looks like Donna will have an out for crushing her daughter's spirit. That role may fall to Cameron now. 

There is one element this season that does really work for me though... the new comedic touches have at times just had me just howling unexpectedly.... such as...

"Uh-Oh... Porn Alert!... As per company policy I am now stepping away from the computer"

Hahahahahaha. :D  

But, the now rekindled relationship of trust and friendship between Gordon and Joe has made me really happy. That scene with them interacting at the pool table was pure gold.

I thought it was funny how Bos said the 2 big search terms at Rover were "sex" and "Comet." Maybe they should have just invented Pornhub.

On 9/10/2017 at 10:43 PM, cinles said:

You said, "by next season..." I don't see any emojis on this board, so I wrote 'boo hoo' because there won't be a next season. Now a smiling emoji would be great. How I miss IMDb. *sigh*

Come on! This is board for ancient computing. Use some emoticons :P :)

On 9/13/2017 at 0:28 PM, scowl said:

I was hoping to see MacKenzie Davis sopping wet in her underwear before the series was over, and there she was.

On 9/13/2017 at 3:19 PM, scrb said:

Maybe I'm misremembering but hasn't Cameron been in her panties at least twice this season?

If they're going to feature cheesecake, I'd rather it be Kerry Bishe but maybe she's too smart to consent to such scenes.

Kerry Bishe had a scene changing into her pajamas a season or so previously. 

On 9/14/2017 at 6:32 PM, Catbookss said:

Ha ha! So very true.

I think they've time jumped a few months at this point. You'd think she'd have something built.

Edited by ketose

Has anyone watched this sneak peek for tonight? I know we're all interested in Rover and Comet and Cameron, but did anyone catch the scene where Gordon appears to be naked covered by an afghan & a woman is walking across the room to him? Gordon getting a booty call?? http://www.amc.com/shows/halt-and-catch-fire/video-extras/season-04/episode-05/next-on-halt-and-catch-fire-season-4-episode-5

Edited by cinles
15 minutes ago, cinles said:

Has anyone watched this sneak peek for tonight? I know we're all interested in Rover and Comet and Cameron, but did anyone catch the scene where Gordon appears to be naked covered by an afghan & a woman is walking across the room to him? Gordon getting a booty call?? http://www.amc.com/shows/halt-and-catch-fire/video-extras/season-04/episode-05/next-on-halt-and-catch-fire-season-4-episode-5

Most likely, it's Katie, the sexy librarian they hired in the episode. They were setting up sparks between her and Gordon.

28 minutes ago, cinles said:

Has anyone watched this sneak peek for tonight?... Gordon getting a booty call??

I'm going to wait for the Episode...

But if anyone is deserving of a booty call it's poor Gordon!! :D

The only action he has had so far this season was getting Blue-Man-Grouped!

;P

Hahahahaha...As soon as I saw them in the premiere I thought of all those 90's and early 2000's Intel Pentium ads. They had a good gig back then...

https://youtu.be/Avs10q60qzM

Edited by CanadaPhil
1 hour ago, CanadaPhil said:

I'm going to wait for the Episode...

But if anyone is deserving of a booty call it's poor Gordon!! :D

The only action he has had so far this season was getting Blue-Man-Grouped!

;P

Hahahahaha...As soon as I saw them in the premiere I thought of all those 90's and early 2000's Intel Pentium ads. They had a good gig back then...

https://youtu.be/Avs10q60qzM

OK, I looked again & the legs are meatier, so I guess it could be Katie. I can't believe I'm stopping a video to look at a woman's legs.

Edited by cinles
1 hour ago, ketose said:

Most likely, it's Katie, the sexy librarian they hired in the episode. They were setting up sparks between her and Gordon.

I'll have to look at it again, but I don't think those were her legs. OK, I might be wrong. I think Katie is a good guess.

Edited by cinles
49 minutes ago, CanadaPhil said:

Gordon and Katie would be fine with me.

"I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating cookies"...

I think they said stuff like that in the 90's.

:D

I think some douches still say things like that.

5 hours ago, cinles said:

I hadn't until now. Did you catch Bos saying to the coder "She can't prove anything"?

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Catbookss said:

I hadn't until now. Did you catch Bos saying to the coder "She can't prove anything"?

Yes, I caught that - the coder had to know something - how did he get the code? 

On 9/14/2017 at 3:32 PM, Catbookss said:

Ha ha! So very true.

It looked to me like she forgot that plan a day or two after she bought the Airstream. What could be cooler than living in a shiny Airstream?

• Love 2
On 9/10/2017 at 5:42 AM, AllyB said:

Joanie is definitely blackmailing Hayley. Most likely about whatever it is that Hayley was crying about in the car a few episodes ago.

Am I the only one who thinks that the source of the blackmail could be that Hayley is gay?  Something about her interaction with the waitress in that scene in "Signal to Noise" when she skips class struck me as she might have a romantic interest.  I just tried to go on the AMC app to review that episode and make sure that I am not totally crazy, but it's mysteriously not available to stream.  Makes me think that there is a clue there.  

45 minutes ago, 2AT said:

Am I the only one who thinks that the source of the blackmail could be that Hayley is gay?  Something about her interaction with the waitress in that scene in "Signal to Noise" when she skips class struck me as she might have a romantic interest.  I just tried to go on the AMC app to review that episode and make sure that I am not totally crazy, but it's mysteriously not available to stream.  Makes me think that there is a clue there.  

That scene where Haley is crying at the cafe along with her other behavior, made me think she has a developmental problem. Very focused. anti-social. Somewhat inappropriate behavior. I would have to watch the scene again to see what leap could be made to her being gay, but in general, I would say probably not and agree that isn't anything to be blackmailed about anyway.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, ganesh said:

That seems like an odd plot, seemingly out of nowhere in the last season. Gordon and Donna don't strike me as the parents that would be too concerned.

Plus, Gordon is already aware of Joe's sexuality. Being gay was becoming less of a big deal by then.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, cinles said:

That scene where Haley is crying at the cafe along with her other behavior, made me think she has a developmental problem. Very focused. anti-social. Somewhat inappropriate behavior. I would have to watch the scene again to see what leap could be made to her being gay, but in general, I would say probably not and agree that isn't anything to be blackmailed about anyway.

Today it would not be anything to be blackmailed about, but in 1990-whatever? And for someone so shy and reserved as Hayley?  I had friends who came out around that time and it was very difficult for them.  I don’t think that Gordon or Donna would have a problem per se, but she might assume differently.  I’m probably completely wrong, but that was my initial reaction to the restaurant/crying in the car scene.  I’ll return to lurking...

1 hour ago, 2AT said:

Today it would not be anything to be blackmailed about, but in 1990-whatever? And for someone so shy and reserved as Hayley?  I had friends who came out around that time and it was very difficult for them.  I don’t think that Gordon or Donna would have a problem per se, but she might assume differently.  I’m probably completely wrong, but that was my initial reaction to the restaurant/crying in the car scene.  I’ll return to lurking...

Again, I'd have to rewatch the scene, but I remember I had a strong reaction to that scene. It made me think Haley doesn't process the outside world like the rest of us. There has been no foreshadowing that she is gay, which of course doesn't mean anything. We weren't prepared for Joe to get it on with Lulu's boy toy either. But for all their faults, Donna & Gordon are cool open-minded parents, so I don't think they'd care & why in the world would her sister blackmail her about that?

• Love 1