Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Nostos

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Actually Chief Wolf is the Australian equivalent from their Clearance Diving Branch, much like the US Navy SEALs that also have their roots from the Underwater Demolition Teams but the SEALs got a new name. Although wrestler and Governor Jesse Ventura got the stolen valor acquisition because after going through the BUDS course he was assigned to a Underwater Demolition Unit and not a SEAL Team.

However we have been given a world where the SEAL and Ranger instructors died in the Red Flu, but yet when Nathan James sailed into Norfolk we have a SEAL standing watch in a guard tower. The tradition being what held the Nathan James crew together when everything else went to shit is a good reason why to keep the uniforms. However when sailors go to shore to fight you would think that surplus Army or Marine Corps uniforms like the Navy Seabees use would be better for their mission than the blue based camouflage working uniforms that the Navy is about to retire

I wasn't counting Wolf, because he's not in the US Navy. :-)  But yes, he's Green's Australian equivalent.

I assume that there are still other military personnel around the world and they are doing other things, such as the SEAL and others that we saw in previous seasons.  

And for their land missions, at least so far this season, it's made sense to wear civilian clothes to be "undercover" and not wear uniforms anyway.

In the end though I  count mission above school. To cross over to Marvel in the Agents Of Ultron and paraphrasing a SHIELD Agent with a bow and arrow"if you step outside and fight you are an Avenger". Taken to our world if you pulled the LURP mission you are a Ranger to the world of The Last Ship and you are on SEAL missions with a school qualified Greene and Wolf.

On 2017-09-05 at 2:43 PM, BasilSeal said:

These are the problems i have, also, last season they were acting on executive orders from the president, now they are on their own and acting autonomously again. It's annoying that all this stuff is just hand waived away when it could be quite easily explained without boring us to death with exposition, there's no attempt to build a consistent believable world beyond the Nathan James, they could get away with that in the first 2 seasons because no one could really know what was going on in the rest of the world because the crew didn't know either, but now a very different world to the one we know has been created, i really think they need to flesh it out a bit.

It would nice to see a cameo from the President.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, jzygayle said:

So.....has Chandler just abandoned his kids in Greece?  Or did I sleep through him evacuating them before he took up with Giorgio?

I wondered about this as well.  I might have missed something, but as far as they know he went fishing and never came back!

Anyone have any idea what was with the red envelopes that they kept passing back and forth in the combat ops room on the NJ ?

When they deployed the NULKA, how did the missile from the Greek ship actually show the NJ from it's nose camera ?  The NULKA just deploys ECM, it doesn't produce holograms.

I fast-forwarded through all of Slattery's flashbacks.

How did boxing coach/biomedical researcher/former Robocop Paul Vellek manage to get control of at least one ship in the Greek Navy (is this setting up a spinoff -- The Last Ship: Greek Edition) let alone manage to get his kids put in charge and give orders to this Greek Navy vessel.

Of course Omar is not really dead -- so he will be going after Giorgio.  Omar is like the giant Chicken that Peter regularly battles on Family Guy -- especially when his one eye opened after being shot in the back.

The other thing that boggles my mind is how all of this is taking place in Sardinia, which is a hell of a long way from Greece.

In the initial S4 episodes, Giorgio was extorting fisherman for protection money -- in Greece.  That seems like pretty small-time shenanigans for someone whose family controls a frigate armed with missiles, and is based in Sardinia which is 800+ miles from the nearest Greek island.  Where is all the fuel coming from for these excursions ?  Because luxury yachts don't run on fish or olive oil.

I really don't understand why that woman helped Slattery.  And how come she could understand English, and Slattery could suddenly understand Italian ?
They have to be better on the sub-titles if they are going to have numerous other languages spoken on the show.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Anyone have any idea what was with the red envelopes that they kept passing back and forth in the combat ops room on the NJ ?

I had this mental image of the crew on Major Kong's B-52 opening up their individual packets of "Attack Plan R".  Nuclear combat.  Toe to toe with the Rooskies.  Or the Greeks.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Just speculation, but I think they were on screen reminders to maintain electronic silence/discipline. 

On 9/6/2017 at 7:48 PM, Raja said:

I went through Armor School when it was still at Fort Knox. Every class had the student leader of the day reporting to a USMC Captain when we got to his class to be taught that bit of customs and courtesy before getting to his actual subject. Armor piercing ammunition types if memory serves. I  am reasonably sure the foreign students did not attend as that was classified knowledge. Meaning most of it was in military topic coffee table picture books 

You were Army and you had to learn about the Marines' customs and courtesy while in an Army school? 

On 9/10/2017 at 8:58 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

I do not think it is a red envelope. I think it is a red plaque of sign that they put on their terminal during EMCON - emission control, in which time the ship are not to emit any electromagnetic or acoustic signal, that is radio, radar and sonar. The sign reminds them NOT to activate any signal-generating function.

13 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

You were Army and you had to learn about the Marines' customs and courtesy while in an Army school? 

I do not think it is a red envelope. I think it is a red plaque of sign that they put on their terminal during EMCON - emission control, in which time the ship are not to emit any electromagnetic or acoustic signal, that is radio, radar and sonar. The sign reminds them NOT to activate any signal-generating function.es

That's affirmative although our focus was Germany when my Army actually went to war it was on the Marines left flank in Kuwait and Iraq. A quick explanation from a USMC Captain before his class subject began was a reasonably easy and cheap way to find the training time for it or to reinforce it for those who took ROTC at a school with a Naval ROTC unit where they would have picked up the slightly different customs and courtesy