Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: ʻAʻole e ʻōlelo mai ana ke ahi ua ana iā (Fire Will Never Say that It Has Had Enough)

• Start Topic

McGarrett and Danny recruit Tani Rey (Meaghan Rath) to join the task force when diabolical hacker Aaron Wright (Joey Lawrence) releases a dangerous arsonist from prison, on the eighth season premiere. The season premiere includes animation of one of McGarrett and Danny's infamous "carguments." Also, Randy Couture returns, and Joey Lawrence joins his brother, Andrew, when he guest stars as Aaron Wright, a hacker.

Original Airdate: September 29, 2017

SOURCE: https://cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=48414

Well, I guess that answers that debate last season about whether or not Duclair is still alive.

I also read the first sentence too fast and was like, They're seriously making Danny's nephew a diabolical hacker what the what?! Yeah, anyway - Joey Lawrence as diabolical hacker - I'll give that a try.

20 hours ago, JessDVD said:

Well, I guess that answers that debate last season about whether or not Duclair is still alive.

I also read the first sentence too fast and was like, They're seriously making Danny's nephew a diabolical hacker what the what?! Yeah, anyway - Joey Lawrence as diabolical hacker - I'll give that a try.

He plays the brother or something to the guy that kidnapped Samantha Grover (whom WoFat released aft killing her kidnapper.)  I think his name was Ian?

7 minutes ago, roamyn said:

He plays the brother or something to the guy that kidnapped Samantha Grover (whom WoFat released aft killing her kidnapper.)  I think his name was Ian?

Yeah. Joey plays Aaron Wright, brother & fellow computer hacker of Ian Wright, the Joe Jonas character who appeared in 2 eps of S4, including the Finale, & who kidnaped Grover's daughter, Samantha, then was killed by Wo Fat after which Wo Fat released Samantha from her captivity (as I remember, Ian had her locked in a super large dog kennel at some house somewhere).

So now Mc-Danno wants to open up a restaurant as well.  The two of them fight so much already, I can just picture all the "hilarity" happening this season as they argue about everything from the color of the walls to the items on the menu (which should be a different font type).

And BTW, between Pryde and his restaurant, the zombie restaurant, and now this, I think this is the "new" plot device used by Hollywood writers.

Chin Ho (and I guess Kono) are now in San Fran and he is in charge of his own task force.  I know (obviously) we will never see it, but it would (in universe) make it easier for them to work with NCIS:LA.

That was the most ridiculous climax that I have seen since................ well, I have been watching "Zoo", soooo, about three weeks ago.

Edited by Twilight Man
2 minutes ago, bmoore4026 said:

Did they just lift a house into the air like it was the fucking Wizard of Oz?

EMBRACE THE CAMP!!!

Yes.

It made me laugh kinda hard at the shear absurdity of it all. I wish Joey had been able to do more as a baddie. 

• Love 2

I kind of liked it. And really think that so far. Even though Daniel and Grace's not being there at all still is missed.

And how that really Danny can name the restaurant whatever he wants. As really again Steve just gets his way way too often. 

Kind of like the new girl. Won't replace Kono but still she is kick a*s!

I like Meaghan Rath, so I feel like I was kind of predisposed to like her character. Bonus if Sam Huntington or Sam Witwer pass through, because I could use a dose of the Being Human threesome.

I laughed at the house being lifted by the helicopter. I am use to the cheese on this show, so I try to roll with it. That was a over the top for my incredibly low standards with this sort of show. Then again it did make me laugh, so I guess I found the unintentional hilarity entertaining.

I did not miss Chin Ho or Kono that much. Well on a shallow note, I did miss staring at Daniel Dae Kim.

Joey Lawrence does play the villain well. Even though Eric is Danny's nephew, I was kind of hoping for a twist that he and the Joey Lawrence character were somehow related.

• Love 1

I think H5O has officially Jumped the Shark. Lifting a house out of a raging fire with a helicopter. Really?????? Also, Joey Lawrence wears too much lip gloss. In fact, I think he wears more lip gloss then 10 women combined.  

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I think H5O has officially Jumped the Shark. Lifting a house out of a raging fire with a helicopter. Really?????? Also, Joey Lawrence wears too much lip gloss. In fact, I think he wears more lip gloss then 10 women combined.  

If they hadn't gone through with that house mess it may not have been so shark worthy. 

6 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

Chin Ho (and I guess Kono) are now in San Fran and he is in charge of his own task force.  I know (obviously) we will never see it, but it would (in universe) make it easier for them to work with NCIS:LA.

I was glad to hear Chin Ho is now running 5-0 San Fran. Kono is apparently working with some other task force bringing down sex traffickers. I am almost certain we will see both of them again towards the finale.

6 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

EMBRACE THE CAMP!!!

No kidding! Like what luck that McGarrett managed to flag down a heavy lift helicopter rather than a scout!

I was also kind of hoping that the forest fire would be started as Duclair was rubbing sticks together trying to get a torch going and Duke's helicopter gunship fleet unloaded on him with the rocket pods.

4 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Kind of like the new girl. Won't replace Kono but still she is kick a*s!

What I loved was that 5-0 straight up admitted that they are corrupt as hell, care not for any rules and admire people who break them. She will fit right in!

• Love 2

Fun easter egg - they said Joey Lawrence's fake name to get on the island was Mick St.John, and how they couldn't be a more fake name - Mick St.John was Alex O'Loughlin's character on Moonlight. 

That joy was ruined by picking up an entire cabin by helicopter. There had to have been an easier way. The bathtub. The kitchen table. The couch. 

I don't care for the new girl but I'm also a bit peeved about Chin and Kono. I just wish we didn't have another character with bad family issues and an attitude that made people say 'hey maybe you shouldn't hold a gun'

• Love 1
1 hour ago, weightyghost said:

Fun easter egg - they said Joey Lawrence's fake name to get on the island was Mick St.John, and how they couldn't be a more fake name - Mick St.John was Alex O'Loughlin's character on Moonlight

I KNEW that sounded familiar!!! How fun! I really liked Moonlight.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

EMBRACE THE CAMP!!!

On the one hand, I was AYFKM????  

On the other, I was "fuckers should all have been dead from heat and fumes about 15 minutes before they ever found the cabin anyway, so why the fuck not?"

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, jzygayle said:

On the other, I was "fuckers should all have been dead from heat and fumes about 15 minutes before they ever found the cabin anyway, so why the fuck not?"

That's kind of what I thought.  They would have all been dead long before the lift because they were way too close to the raging flames!  It was stupid, but season premieres of all shows are almost always silly and over the top.

• Love 1

The new girl seems okay, but Kono was a perfect mix of tough and soft and this one is too much kickass for my liking. I predict her storyline to be a bit too predictable, but she may grow on me when I stop missing Kono. I'm relieved that Lenkov said Danny won't be romantically involved with her. 

Even though the radiation poisoning thing is stupid, I kind of like that they used it to trim Danny's whining (though it's probably not permanent). 

I don't mind the silliness, as it's all equally silly for me, whether it's 0% or 0.1% believable. However, I think that this episode focused too much on the spectacle and too little on the characters. Duclair's potential wasn't fully used. I also didn't "like" him in the first episode he was in, but the one in which he ended up turning himself in and the one with the escape were both good. Also, I think there wasn't enough interaction between the team. 

I enjoyed it though. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

Did this not make it into the episode after all, or did I just accidentally FF through it?

Maybe it was just meant as a promo. I thought it was supposed to have been in the episode, based on the way it was written about on CBS.com (I'm pretty sure that was linked to by me upthread.) If it was just a promo, it seems like a lot of work & expense to go to just for that. Maybe it'll be in an upcoming ep (shrugs). Apologies for getting it wrong.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix a word that was mistyped.
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Yeah glad to see Taylor, Duke, and the medical examiner as really glad to put them together. As really Lotus Flower it is indeed all for appearances. CBS treats their minority actors and actresses like dirt.

You're right - they were all grouped together (and the only ones that were grouped).  

That was the worst CGI fire that ever was presented as fake CGI fire.

Won't believe Duclair is dead until I see a dead Duclair body.

Could have used more Joey Lawrence and less terrible CGI fire.

What I can't figure out - is if the show is *trying* to be campy and totally ridiculous, or if they're intending to be serious and are just missing the mark majorly. I mean, it's not like any of us actually think for a second that any of the Fab Four are actually going to literally DIAF, and you'd think the writers would know that we all know they're going to make it so there's no actual suspense, and thus are writing this as campy and fun with zany escapes like a helicopter picking up a house (what? couldn't each of them have just grabbed one of those giant cables?). But I can't quite say that for sure, I think it comes off like they are meaning it to be serious.

Edited by JessDVD
  • Love 1

I've been watching this show on and off for years, but I have been watching the premiere and finale episodes for about four years now, if I can't catch most of the season. I appreciate that I can watch this show whenever and I won't miss all that much.

I have to admit, I laughed really hard at the Wizard of Oz moment with the house. I don't know what else I expected. I mean, I found the fact that Danny wasn't even phased by the fire, and Grover/new girl Tani just coughed a few times more ridiculous somehow. 

I'm a young adult, so my inner childhood is laughing at the fact that Joey Lawrence and Nick Jonas are supposedly brothers. Also, the closest they could get to the Lawrence brothers acting in the same scene is through a computer screen. Well, since they didn't kill the Wright brother off and he's just chilling in jail until Grover possibly kills him, I guess there'll be more opportunities for Joey Lawrence to appear. 

I'm really just embracing the show for what it is, at this point. Steve and Danny are going to open up a restaurant in between cases? Sure, why not? DuClair is probably going to pop up from the dead, maybe with half his face burned off, at midseason or near the end of the season? I wouldn't expect anything less. Tani was compared to Chin, Kono, AND Steve all in one episode? Sure, who is she going to be like next? Danny? 

I didn't mind Tani, though she's no Kono. 

1 hour ago, JessDVD said:

That was the worst CGI fire that ever was presented as fake CGI fire.

My first thought when I saw the fire was, "That fake CGI fire is beautiful, it's fake and cheap looking but really pretty to look at."  It looked just like those flames in those fake fire places you get on QVC.  As a matter of fact it almost looked like Steve and Duclair were teenagers rough housing in front of a big screen tv.  However, I do love the over the top ridiculousness of the show.

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

Interesting to see them put Taylor Wily, Duke, and the medical examiner (all minority actors) in the opening credits montage.  I think it's all for appearances- look at how diverse our cast is!  

Taylor Wily, Dennis Chun (Duke), & Kimee Balmilero (Noelani Cunha, the Medical Examiner who replaced Masi Oka's Max Bergman both when Max was on his Doctors Without Borders sabbatical & when Max decided to join that group permanently, when Masi left the show last season) were all "upgraded"--along with Ian Anthony Dale, who plays Kono's husband Adam Noshimuri--to "regular" cast status over the hiatus, whether that was based on their work, the popularity of their characters with the audience, or for "cosmetic" reasons, attempting to show their diversity in casting (which took a hit after the most "ethnic" looking actors, Grace Park & Daniel Dae Kim left during the summer hiatus, & Masi Oka preceded them out the door at the last midseason). As such, these actors are entitled to have their names in the main title sequence along with Alex, Scott, Chi, Jorge & Meaghan. So we have 4 retained leads/regulars from last season (Alex, Scott, Chi, & Jorge), plus the 4 recurring actors who were promoted to regulars (Ian, Dennis, Kimee, & Taylor), plus 2 completely new cast members (Meaghan & Beulah). That makes 10 "regular" cast this season, up from 6 last season. With the short amount of time designated for the opening title sequence, the only way to include all 10 of this season's regulars in it  (which is the right thing to do, unless something else was negotiated) was, very likely, to do what they did & have Taylor, Kimee, & Dennis's credits on the same "page" of the title sequence. And we still have to add Beulah & Ian to the main titles when their characters join the storyline.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To re-punctuate a very long sentence. Then to correct the spelling of a name.
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I've been watching this show on and off for years, but I have been watching the premiere and finale episodes for about four years now, if I can't catch most of the season. I appreciate that I can watch this show whenever and I won't miss all that much.

I have to admit, I laughed really hard at the Wizard of Oz moment with the house. I don't know what else I expected. I mean, I found the fact that Danny wasn't even phased by the fire, and Grover/new girl Tani just coughed a few times more ridiculous somehow. 

I'm a young adult, so my inner childhood is laughing at the fact that Joey Lawrence and Nick Jonas are supposedly brothers. Also, the closest they could get to the Lawrence brothers acting in the same scene is through a computer screen. Well, since they didn't kill the Wright brother off and he's just chilling in jail until Grover possibly kills him, I guess there'll be more opportunities for Joey Lawrence to appear. 

I'm really just embracing the show for what it is, at this point. Steve and Danny are going to open up a restaurant in between cases? Sure, why not? DuClair is probably going to pop up from the dead, maybe with half his face burned off, at midseason or near the end of the season? I wouldn't expect anything less. Tani was compared to Chin, Kono, AND Steve all in one episode? Sure, who is she going to be like next? Danny? 

I didn't mind Tani, though she's no Kono. 

I think the house moving was supposed to have been more of an Up moment as opposed to a The Wizard of Oz moment. I've seen the former title come up more often than the latter in describing it anyway.

35 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Taylor Wily, Dennis Chun (Duke), & Kimee Balmilero (Noelani Cunha, the Medical Examiner who replaced Masi Oka's Max Bergman both when Max was on his Doctors Without Borders sabbatical & when Max decided to join that group permanently, when Masi left the show last season) were all "upgraded"--along with Ian Anthony Dale, who plays Kono's husband Adam Noshimuri--to "regular" cast status over the hiatus, whether that was based on their work, the popularity of their characters with the audience, or for "cosmetic" reasons, attempting to show their diversity in casting (which took a hit after the most "ethnic" looking actors, Grace Park & Daniel Dae Kim left during the summer hiatus, & Masi Oka preceded them out the door at the last midseason). As such, these actors are entitled to have their names in the main title sequence along with Alex, Scott, Chi, Jorge & Meaghan. So we have 4 retained leads/regulars from last season (Alex, Scott, Chi, & Jorge), plus the 4 recurring actors who were promoted to regulars (Ian, Dennis, Kimee, & Taylor), plus 2 completely new cast members (Meaghan & Beulah). That makes 10 "regular" cast this season, up from 6 last season. With the short amount of time designated for the opening title sequence, the only way to include all 10 of this season's regulars in it  (which is the right thing to do, unless something else was negotiated) was, very likely, to do what they did & have Taylor, Kimee, & Dennis's credits on the same "page" of the title sequence. And we still have to add Beulah & Ian to the main titles when their characters join the storyline.

Saying the three actors were "elevated" to "regular" cast status and including them in the opening credits is nothing but a PR move by CBS or the show's producers in response to the backlash over the firing of Grace and Daniel.  (It's also odd that you refer to them as "the most ethnic-looking" actors.  ???  What does that even mean? Non-Caucasian?).  IMO, the only way to "elevate" or promote an actor is with pay, and we see how CBS feels about the cast pay structure.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

Saying the three actors were "elevated" to "regular" cast status and including them in the opening credits is nothing but a PR move by CBS or the show's producers in response to the backlash over the firing of Grace and Daniel.  (It's also odd that you refer to them as "the most ethnic-looking" actors.  ???  What does that even mean? Non-Caucasian?).  IMO, the only way to "elevate" or promote an actor is with pay, and we see how CBS feels about the cast pay structure.  

I was trying to point out what I've seen others say: that Daniel, Grace, & Masi were the 3 cast members whose characters apparently best represented Hawaii as the only non-white/Asian cast members (OK... Chi's also not white, but Asians are usually thought to better represent Hawaii)--which is part of the big stink over particularly Daniel & Grace leaving--&, as usual, I did it rather inarticulately. Or somehow wrote it to read as if I was referring to Dennis, Taylor, & Kimee when I was really referring to Daniel, Grace, & Masi.

We'll have to agree to disagree about the merits (or lack thereof) of Ian, Taylor, Kimee & Dennis's being switched (I still consider it a promotion or elevation) from recurring characters to regular this season. I feel that, as they've been on since the beginning or the second season, Dennis, Taylor, & Ian have definitely done the work/paid their dues to (finally) be named to the regular cast this season. Granted, Kimee has only been on since last season but I think her character--like Masi's during S1--has been noticed, & enjoyed, enough for whomever makes those decisions to decide to change her role from recurring to regular as well.

I'm not saying the timing on this wasn't at least somewhat suspect, being when CBS was accused of racism, "whitewashing", or whatever you wanna call it, because they wouldn't give the 2 remaining, very visible, Asian heritage lead actors in the show a good enough pay & benefits package to get them at least in the acceptable ballpark of what the 2 Caucasian lead actors are/were making for their roles in the same show, so said Asian heritage actors decided to take their toys & go home (& I do think Daniel & Grace probably deserved at least some sort of raise at this point; especially if they hadn't gotten a raise/raises since their original contracts were negotiated/signed). I guess I'm just more willing to attribute those 4 actors' apparently expanded roles to something other than CBS making a PR move amid charges of racism in regards to their treatment of Daniel & Grace relative to their contract negotiations for S8.

11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Grover that is some shitty parenting! The daughter looked different to me.

"To help you get over your kidnapping, I kidnapped some guy whose only association was that it was his brother who kidnapped you.  Sleep well, know I hold you responsible for everything your brother does; and that I will kidnap people at whim.  Be safe!!!!"

Grover's dubious morality at work again!

• Love 7

I thought the same about Grover's parenting. 

Also, it isn't that important (in the context of other silly things), but what was Duclair still doing in Halawa? He escaped two times, and for the first time, he used Five-O's immunity to get out. Seems pretty dumb to keep him there. (I'm not from the U.S., so I have no idea how hard it would be to transfer him to the supermax prison. Still, I think anything would be better.)

5 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I was trying to point out what I've seen others say: that Daniel, Grace, & Masi were the 3 cast members whose characters apparently best represented Hawaii as the only non-white/Asian cast members (OK... Chi's also not white, but Asians are usually thought to better represent Hawaii)--which is part of the big stink over particularly Daniel & Grace leaving--&, as usual, I did it rather inarticulately. Or somehow wrote it to read as if I was referring to Dennis, Taylor, & Kimee when I was really referring to Daniel, Grace, & Masi.

We'll have to agree to disagree about the merits (or lack thereof) of Ian, Taylor, Kimee & Dennis's being switched (I still consider it a promotion or elevation) from recurring characters to regular this season. I feel that, as they've been on since the beginning or the second season, Dennis, Taylor, & Ian have definitely done the work/paid their dues to (finally) be named to the regular cast this season. Granted, Kimee has only been on since last season but I think her character--like Masi's during S1--has been noticed, & enjoyed, enough for whomever makes those decisions to decide to change her role from recurring to regular as well.

I'm not saying the timing on this wasn't at least somewhat suspect, being when CBS was accused of racism, "whitewashing", or whatever you wanna call it, because they wouldn't give the 2 remaining, very visible, Asian heritage lead actors in the show a good enough pay & benefits package to get them at least in the acceptable ballpark of what the 2 Caucasian lead actors are/were making for their roles in the same show, so said Asian heritage actors decided to take their toys & go home (& I do think Daniel & Grace probably deserved at least some sort of raise at this point; especially if they hadn't gotten a raise/raises since their original contracts were negotiated/signed). I guess I'm just more willing to attribute those 4 actors' apparently expanded roles to something other than CBS making a PR move amid charges of racism in regards to their treatment of Daniel & Grace relative to their contract negotiations for S8.

With all due respect, I disagree.  There's been extensive commentary on the media thread about this, but to characterize the departure of Daniel and Grace as them deciding to "pack up their toys and go home" is not only inaccurate but also doing them a huge disservice.  Especially coming from someone who is clearly a huge fan of the show.  The show can spin it any way they try to, but Daniel and Grace were effectively fired.  They asked for equality in pay.  Something their white co-star Scott had demanded and received a few years earlier.  The show capitulated to Scott, but refused Daniel and Grace, and essentially shoved them out the door.  

The show did not expect the huge backlash and accusations of racism they received.  So what did they do?  They said they would have three new main cast members - a part-Asian actor who was getting promoted to main from recurring, a Pacific Islander actor, and a part-Indian actress.  "We aren't racist, we just hired three Asians for the main cast!"

Then they further said they were adding more Asians to the main cast and took three bit players and decided that they too were now main cast.  

Why weren't they good enough to be listed in main cast before?  Especially Kamekona, who shows up in almost every episode. It's because the show is trying to claim they have always treated Asians as "ohana".   Well, their appearance in the credits just confirmed that all of this was just lip service.  Clearly just a PR move.  I laughed out loud that they were all relegated to the same screen and didn't get their own shots.  Some "main cast" they are.

As for the show itself?  The flying house was simply ridiculous.  Even more so than usual for this show.  This show has hit rock bottom and I wouldn't at all be surprised if this is the last season.

• Love 7
On 10/1/2017 at 6:44 AM, BW Manilowe said:

I guess I'm just more willing to attribute those 4 actors' apparently expanded roles to something other than CBS making a PR move amid charges of racism in regards to their treatment of Daniel & Grace relative to their contract negotiations for S8

So Taylor, Duke, and Ian have been on the show for years, and it's just st a coincidence that this season they're promoted to regular cast status?  Plus, there's nothing "expanded" about their roles except this cast designation and place in the credits.  Taylor was used in his usual way, I don't even know if Duke was in the episode, but he'll probably just have his usual one or two-line cameo in a number of episodes, and the new M.E. is so memorable, I don't even know her name.  I actually feel sorry for them, because CBS is using them for PR purposes, and they deserve better.  So do all POC who are or were cast on the show.

Edited by LotusFlower
  • Love 4

Doggone it, I was digging the new episode.  We knew that this premiere would have a lot of eyes on it, to see how CBS handled the loss of Kono and Chin Ho, and I thought they did a pretty good job of letting us know what happened to the characters, and also bringing in the new folks.  Typical silly crap with someone's brother taking revenge and a bad guy from the past coming back again, but overall not horrible.  As pointed out, then even admitted that they are more concerned with getting the job done than following rules, and I thought maybe the show was going to try to be more realistic or something.

Then they lifted a house with a helicopter when it would have been easier to just put a foot into the big hook and hang on as Steve airlifts everyone to safety.

On the other hand, I was laughing my ass off at the absurdity of it, so as with Misslindsey, I suppose it was still ultimately entertaining.  Realism doesn't matter.  Only entertainment value, even if unintentional.  So they got me; I'll watch again next week.

• Love 1
On 10/1/2017 at 9:13 AM, pinkglove said:

Also, it isn't that important (in the context of other silly things), but what was Duclair still doing in Halawa? He escaped two times, and for the first time, he used Five-O's immunity to get out. Seems pretty dumb to keep him there. (I'm not from the U.S., so I have no idea how hard it would be to transfer him to the supermax prison. Still, I think anything would be better.)

Generally you have to commit a federal crime and be convicted by the US Attorney to be incarcerated by the Federal Bureau of Prisons. Most are incarcerated by their stat Department of Corrections, some states have their own supermax like Pelican Bay or Corcoran having a supermax section where Charles Manson is held in California. But remember in the 5-0 world Wo Fat's operatives blew a hole in our federal supermax prison's wall and he walked out. Supermax however isn't so much "escape proof"max but keeping the convicts separated "max" to keep them from killing other convicts  along with correctional officers and prison guards.

(edited)
On 9/30/2017 at 10:32 PM, biakbiak said:

Grover that is some shitty parenting! The daughter looked different to me.

According to the press release for this ep Paige Hurd, the same actress who's had the role since Samantha Grover was first onscreen in 2014, played Samantha as usual. But her billing was changed from "Recurring Cast" to "Guest Cast". 

Maybe she looked different because I think it's been awhile since we saw her last. Her IMDb says the last H50 episode she was in, before this, was S6 E19; that's the 1 where Grover & his family went on the lam because they were falsely led to believe a mobster Grover had arrested &/or testified against while he was still in Chicago was out to get them (& it was really his ex-partner, Clay, who was suspected of killing his wife on an Hawaiian anniversary trip--which Grover couldn't prove--who set the family up because Grover could prove he was a dirty cop & stole some money from a drug bust years ago, which is what put Clay in prison).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix a name error.
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

According to the press release for this ep Pam Hurd, the same actress who's had the role since Samantha Grover was first onscreen in 2014, played Samantha as usual. But her billing was changed from "Recurring Cast" to "Guest Cast".

Paige Hurd -- who's now 25!  So yeah, she's going to look a lot different!

I had no problem w/them putting Duke, Kamekona or the ME on one screen.  They're not part of 5-0, and they're only in bit scenes - unless they have a storyline.

Actually Kamekona really should be upgraded to be by himself and put Ian with the other two.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Paige Hurd -- who's now 25!  So yeah, she's going to look a lot different!

Thank you for finding that error; I fixed it. I don't know where I got "Pam" from; the actress's name is & always has been Paige. And she's been the only person to play Samantha Grover, which she's done, like, 7 or 8 times since 2014 (according to IMDb). But, as I also said, until this season premiere the last time she played Samantha was in S6 E19 when the Grover family thought they had to go on the run from a mobster Grover testified against, &/or arrested, & it turned out the person causing the problem was Grover's ex-partner, Clay, who should've been in prison for killing his wife, but he was only in for stealing money from a drug bust because that was the only thing Grover could actually prove he did (Clay still had the money, or what was left of it, hidden in a wheel well, or something similar, of an old "beater" car he kept in his garage). The length of time between when S6 E19 was filmed & when S8 E1 was filmed may account for any noticeable difference in how she looked in the episodes (as could the facts that Samantha was still in High School in S6 while she had been accepted by Northwestern University, & is apparently about to start college either there, in the Grovers' old stomping ground of Chicago--which actually no longer feels like home for Lou Grover & has become a "hostile" environment to him--or at another college closer to Honolulu that Samantha &/or her family may choose instead because not only is Samantha possibly not wanted in Chicago because her dad was disloyal to his Chicago PD partner, Samantha may still be having emotional issues related to her kidnaping by computer hacker Ian Wright about 4 seasons ago.

On 9/30/2017 at 9:25 PM, JessDVD said:

What I can't figure out - is if the show is *trying* to be campy and totally ridiculous, or if they're intending to be serious and are just missing the mark majorly. I mean, it's not like any of us actually think for a second that any of the Fab Four are actually going to literally DIAF, and you'd think the writers would know that we all know they're going to make it so there's no actual suspense, and thus are writing this as campy and fun with zany escapes like a helicopter picking up a house (what? couldn't each of them have just grabbed one of those giant cables?). But I can't quite say that for sure, I think it comes off like they are meaning it to be serious.

I was wondering about that too. If they are just trying to be ridiculous I am curious to see how far they can take it. I guess maybe showing a fake house hanging on straps from a fake helicopter through fake fire is easier to do effects wise then fake people. 

I like the new cop girl. The fact that she is a bit like Steve could be interesting. The restaurant seems really stupid, running a restaurant has to be a full time job by itself. How can you do that when you already have a real job that is way more than a full time job by itself? Especially when you have no experience in running a restaurant or any kind of business at all. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I was wondering about that too. If they are just trying to be ridiculous I am curious to see how far they can take it. I guess maybe showing a fake house hanging on straps from a fake helicopter through fake fire is easier to do effects wise then fake people. 

I like the new cop girl. The fact that she is a bit like Steve could be interesting. The restaurant seems really stupid, running a restaurant has to be a full time job by itself. How can you do that when you already have a real job that is way more than a full time job by itself? Especially when you have no experience in running a restaurant or any kind of business at all.

There was a scene at the beginning, like with the post-main titles credits running over it, where Steve & Danny are talking about the restaurant, in the space intended to be the restaurant, & Steve starts talking about opening it before they retire. He says they can hire someone to run it for them until they're ready to run it by themselves.

• Love 1
On 9/29/2017 at 10:33 PM, ByaNose said:

I think H5O has officially Jumped the Shark.

The show is the shark. They had a nuke on the island one time. Grover kidnapped and tortured a guy with zero repercussions. They routinely trample on civil rights. Lifting a house isn't a stretch. 

I'm surprised that McGarrent didn't just shoot the guy in the forest. 

I get that they have to introduce a new character, but stop with the "She's the female you!" Just write a good character. You don't have to force the audience to like her or not. Her backstory was fine; they should have left it at that. 

• Love 3