Type keyword(s) to search

Conner Canon and Continuity

That one isn't a continuity error to me; an injury that disqualifies a cop from field duty does not have to be something that would also affect her daily life or pose an issue in another job, so there wouldn't be any reason to mention it other than in relation to that job -- they wanted to relegate her to desk duty, she resigned because that's not the kind of job she wanted, and it only ever came up again when her "Back when I was on the force" stories included mention of being injured in the line of duty (which led to the inevitable jokes about the guy being naked, not actually having a gun, etc.). 

• Love 3

It actually does get brought up again. I can't remember exactly which episode, but Jackie says something about how when she hurt herself on the force she needed either physical therapy and/or exercise and suggests it to Roseanne. Maybe it wasn't permanent or was just enough to keep her from being off desk duty. And I don't really talk about my former jobs now that I'm not in them anymore either.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, BookThief said:

I can't remember exactly which episode, but Jackie says something about how when she hurt herself on the force she needed either physical therapy and/or exercise and suggests it to Roseanne.

Probably from when Roseanne is having back problems, and winds up needing the breast reduction.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, BookThief said:

It actually does get brought up again. I can't remember exactly which episode, but Jackie says something about how when she hurt herself on the force she needed either physical therapy and/or exercise and suggests it to Roseanne. Maybe it wasn't permanent or was just enough to keep her from being off desk duty. And I don't really talk about my former jobs now that I'm not in them anymore either.

Sometimes when you lose a job that was tied deeply to your identity you go through a grieving process similar to losing a loved one. When I had my flower shop sold out from under me I went through it. It can be tough.

• Love 1

The episode when Jackie says she was a cop and could bring anyone down. She jumps all over Dan and tries to tackle him etc. There's a lot of other times she does physical comedy and she doesn't seem to have any chronic issues leftover.

That was how I meant it.

Edited by Mmmfloorpie
  • Love 1

I don't know if this belongs in this topic but anyway I found it really out of character for Roseanne not to know that Gone With The Wind was a book. I was a voracious reader as a child and grew up wanting to be a writer until I got to college and realized I didn't have the gift. My point being that if she had wanted to be a writer her whole life there is no way in hell she wouldn't know that GWTW was a book.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't know if this belongs in this topic but anyway I found it really out of character for Roseanne not to know that Gone With The Wind was a book. I was a voracious reader as a child and grew up wanting to be a writer until I got to college and realized I didn't have the gift. My point being that if she had wanted to be a writer her whole life there is no way in hell she wouldn't know that GWTW was a book.

That's a good catch. I get the impression Roseanne was really into poetry. Dan finds her poem in the garage and turns it into a play. She mentions all those female poets when trying to get Darlene into writing. I'm sure there's other examples out there.

On 11/26/2017 at 5:40 PM, Mmmfloorpie said:

The episode when Jackie says she was a cop and could bring anyone down. She jumps all over Dan and tries to tackle him etc. There's a lot of other times she does physical comedy and she doesn't seem to have any chronic issues leftover.

That was how I meant it.

Just to continue on this, I watched the two "back" episodes in season 4 recently. In the one where she throws her back out, Jackie says she found exercise always helped her. In the one when Roseanne has the surgery, she tells the doctor that her back issue sometimes "flares up" or something but then Roseanne says "since when?" and Jackie says "Shut up..."

Still weird she would have been put on desk duty for the rest of her career for such a minor injury.

• Love 4

There has been officers who had worse injuries than Jackie had, and they were able to back to full time patrol duty. I also find it hard to believe she was able to be a truck driver with a bad back because she would have to sit for long periods of time to drive. I would have rather they do a story line of Jackie going to physical therapy to get back on patrol duty and/or Roseanne getting a clerical job with the police department. In my opinion, the show went downhill once Dan got the bike shop, Roseanne became a waitress, Becky started dating Mark, and Jackie left the police force.

On 11/24/2017 at 1:52 PM, Bastet said:

That one isn't a continuity error to me; an injury that disqualifies a cop from field duty does not have to be something that would also affect her daily life or pose an issue in another job, so there wouldn't be any reason to mention it other than in relation to that job -- they wanted to relegate her to desk duty, she resigned because that's not the kind of job she wanted, and it only ever came up again when her "Back when I was on the force" stories included mention of being injured in the line of duty (which led to the inevitable jokes about the guy being naked, not actually having a gun, etc.). 

I wonder if it wasn't that her injury was that bad as much as her reaction made the rest of the force question her ability to the job. Especially as a woman and rookie she probably would have had to fight very hard to get off that desk if certain people had decided that was where she belonged. I could see Jackie deciding she didn't want fight that hard.  Considering the feminist of Roseanne I'm surprised they didn't go with this angle. Although I suppose 90's feminism would have demanded Jackie stay on the force and fight the evil sexists.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

There has been officers who had worse injuries than Jackie had, and they were able to back to full time patrol duty. I also find it hard to believe she was able to be a truck driver with a bad back because she would have to sit for long periods of time to drive. I would have rather they do a story line of Jackie going to physical therapy to get back on patrol duty and/or Roseanne getting a clerical job with the police department. In my opinion, the show went downhill once Dan got the bike shop, Roseanne became a waitress, Becky started dating Mark, and Jackie left the police force.

The lead to the bike shop just didn't make sense. Neither Dan and Ziggy could get it together, but hell he left the money to Dan to do it and they magically could get it. The problem with Mark is we waited until David showed up before we finally got Mark's backstory of why he was screwed up and how he had a similar life like Roseanne and Jackie. The dinner was fine until they made it that Leon wanted to constantly bring up with Roseanne how she was lazy and did what she wanted. Then he gets a promotion with the place as district manager and then the place shuts down a few days later. Then he showed up 2 years later and he's a health inspector. I wanted to go: "So, he went to class and got his license and a job?" With Lecy going to college and originally Quinn getting a few TV movie shows. They writers felt they not only had to write them off in the only way they thought, but to do that was to sink everyone else's careers. The writers even said when they wrote the year of "hell" as they later put it. They had no idea where it was going to end and sometime around the end of the season they said; "Ok, this is getting boring, we need to fix things." 

I always figured Jackie wasn't going to be on desk duty forever.. just until her back healed and maybe till she got retraining again to go back out on the beat... but Jackie always thought on emotion instead of logic so she figured she'd be stuck and quit on impulse.  

• Love 4

Jackie quitting the force makes sense to me.  She's not a desk job person in general - all the various jobs she tried, and not one of them involved sitting at a desk all day - and she would have absolutely hated being on desk duty (which was not presented as temporary; they didn't get into specifics, but I assume it was a liability issue as the basis for not sending her out into the field again, based on the pre-existing on-the-job injury) in the police station.  Being a cop was the first job she loved, and she'd have been miserable typing up reports about the things she used to be out doing herself, listening to her colleagues talk about their day, gathering information over the phone rather than out in person, etc.

If she'd already had a child, she might have had to suck it up in order to keep the benefits, but with only herself to take care of, she could say "If I can't be the kind of cop I signed up to be, then I don't want to be a cop at all" and move on to something else.

• Love 11

Law enforcement officers have dealt with back injuries, so I do not think her injury could be considered a liability unless one or more doctors say she should not go back to full time regular on the streets duty at all. The sheriff where I live had a what they called a widow maker heart attack while traveling out of county for a meeting a week after Thanksgiving last year. He had a medical procedure and was put on half days until his doctor(s) gave him the okay to go back to full time duty. He did go to cardiac rehab and pass the standard law enforcement physical test before being able to go back on full time duty. Jackie could have work on getting back in shape to be able to go back on full patrol duty, but she did not want to put in the work or do clerical work until she was fine.

I think they're pretending that S9 never happened, except for Harris's birth - but they're aging her down to 14 whereas chronologically she would be 19 or 20 now. It also looks like Andy and Jerry aren't going to be in the reboot, but it's unclear whether the show will pretend they never existed or explain away their absence.

• Love 3

It could be quickly explained that Andy moved away with Fred because of Jackie's odd behavior and he is never mentioned again. In that one trailer where Jackie says "call me Aunt, it's the only title I have".

Maybe Andy no longer calls her mom because they had a falling out.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

It could be quickly explained that Andy moved away with Fred because of Jackie's odd behavior and he is never mentioned again. In that one trailer where Jackie says "call me Aunt, it's the only title I have".

Maybe Andy no longer calls her mom because they had a falling out.

I could see that happening. A boy in his late teens/early 20s would probably have more in common with his father than his mother, especially if she drove him nuts like Bev did with Jackie. 

• Love 1

It also looks like Andy and Jerry aren't going to be in the reboot

I'd just as soon Jerry never existed. He didn't add anything to the show and his birth episode was one of the - if not the - worst non-ninth-season episode of the series. 

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Progeekzy said:

We could chalk Jackie leaving the force up to, she was afraid of losing the man she loved she could get another job therefore she chose to leave the force. 

But she broke up with Gary.  When he gave her the ultimatum, she'd already decided to leave the force, but she didn't tell him that.

• Love 2

Def was stupid for Jackie to quit the police force but it was ultimately good for the character and the series.

Jackie was a flake. If she had been a cop for the next 7 seasons, she would have been a completely different character. Instead of us calling her Gilligan, we'd be calling her Barney Fife lol.

• Love 3

In my opinion, Jackie was more than a flake. Her character was dumbed down on the show along with Dan, Becky, and Mark. I could not stand Roseanne, Darlene especially when she went to writing school and David. I think Seasons One and Two were the best ones. I cannot stand the show once Season Three starts. Not too excited for the remake because the acting is bad.

3 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

Def was stupid for Jackie to quit the police force but it was ultimately good for the character and the series.

Jackie was a flake. If she had been a cop for the next 7 seasons, she would have been a completely different character. Instead of us calling her Gilligan, we'd be calling her Barney Fife lol.

I ALREADY called her Barney Fife. Despite the episode where she plays Gilligan, her mannerisms in later seasons always reminded me MUCH more of Don Knotts than Bob Denver. 

And this was apparently intentional on Laurie Metcalf's part: She actually had conversations/took tips on this very thing at one point from Don Knotts himself. So even without Jackie being a cop anymore, I STILL got Barney more from her than Gilligan. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, UYI said:

I ALREADY called her Barney Fife. Despite the episode where she plays Gilligan, her mannerisms in later seasons always reminded me MUCH more of Don Knotts than Bob Denver.

Which makes sense, since Laurie Metcalf studied Don Knotts in the role of Barney Fife and took Knotts to lunch to pick his brain, in order to inform her portrayal of Jackie.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

In my opinion, Jackie was more than a flake. Her character was dumbed down on the show along with Dan, Becky, and Mark. I could not stand Roseanne, Darlene especially when she went to writing school and David. I think Seasons One and Two were the best ones. I cannot stand the show once Season Three starts. Not too excited for the remake because the acting is bad.

In season 2 though she was still normal Jackie. But I feel her underlying character was as a flake.

Flake meaning someone who can't commit to anything long term. 

Season 1 I don't think she was originally concieved of as a flake though.

I think she was originally supposed to be the immature younger mooch sister who constantly hung around Roseannes house and pestered Dan. 

The flake part developed more in season 2 but not quite fully. There was that 2 parter where she was really spaced out about Gary and Roseanne was tired of having to take care of her.

The flake part really came out in season 3 with all the various jobs. Funny how season 2 was Roseanne bouncing around from job to job then season 3 was Jackie's turn.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yet she was always more financially solvent than Roseanne. She actually saved money and always had it to lend to her sister's family.

I can tell you that the finances surrounding a single person and a family with three kids are very different, particularly in a low cost of living area like Lanford. I was single and lived at a reasonable cost of living city, though probably not at inexpensive as Landford. I always had extra money, but I was pretty financially responsible. I did treat myself to going out with friends and buying myself something nice once in a while.  My expenses were all about me and I could control them pretty well like rent, car note, utilities, etc.

Now I have a family and two children. We are still very financially responsible, but with kids, the costs and surprise costs go up exponentially. The kids want to do an extracurricular and then that extracurricular comes with uniforms, snacks, gas for getting there, time, etc. Insurance is more expensive because I am covering more than myself.

Of course, this is not news. It is a lot harder to support a family then just yourself, but I definitely had more room to splurge as a single person than when raising a family, so it was no surprise to me that Jackie always had a little extra at the end of the month. Also, her jobs, like police officer and truck driver probably paid much better than Roseanne's later jobs like waitress and fast food worker.

• Love 9
16 hours ago, Progeekzy said:

Was Becky/Darlene marries to mark or david? In the book it was one way but shown another. Whats canon there? 

Canon is the way it was shown for 99% of the series.

• Love 2

If they are ignoring the last season, then Dan still had a heart attack because that happened in season 8. But they apparently are also not including Andy and Gerry who were born in season 7 and 8 respectively. So who the hell knows.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Progeekzy said:

Was Becky/Darlene marries to mark or david? In the book it was one way but shown another. Whats canon there? 

It's going to be Darlene/David, not Darlene/Mark.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

If they are ignoring the last season, then Dan still had a heart attack because that happened in season 8. But they apparently are also not including Andy and Gerry who were born in season 7 and 8 respectively. So who the hell knows.

I can’t see how they can’t ignore the two boys, especially since Jackie’s pregnancy and marriage was such a big part of her story during those seasons. 

I am really curious about how they’ll address Mark being gone. The family really embraced him by the end of the series and he seemed to appear more than Becky in the last few seasons. I wonder if they will ignore the Becky pregnancy from the finale or if she will still be living in a trailer park. 

• Love 1

As far as i can tell there making it up as they go. Nothing and everything is canon as they want when they want how they want. Canon means nothing to them. 
And i guess we as the fans are supposed to be brain dead and just go with it? 

• Love 1

In a little over 24 hours, we'll either know where we stand on a lot of the canon questions (and any resulting continuity issues) or we'll be even more confused, with decades more discussion material. :-)

Stay tuned... 

• Love 5

It's Roseanne and not Star Trek so I will let a lot slide. Especially if it means ignoring the 9th season and Jerry and Andy. 

Would be nice if they had contacted some of the real fans of the show to get their opinions on things.

That Producer Whitney Cummings or whatever her name is really annoying. She talks about how she loved the original show and how important it was to recreate the set and blah blah blah. Seems as phoney as all her plastic surgery.

Their idea of canon is just replicating the set.

Watching some footage I noticed that lamp with the pleated shade by the front door isnt quite the same as the original. It makes it appear that the Conners got rid of the original at some point and replaced it with one that looked mostly similiar.

When, in reality, it would have made more sense that they didn't have a lamp for 30 years and they just replaced it with a new and more modern one. I expected them to update the decor as real people would.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Small nitpick, but Andy was actually born during season 6. You're right about Jerry (he was named after Jerry Garcia, so it's spelled with a "J") being born during season 8, though. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Progeekzy said:

I would like to ask nobody post spoilers in here from tonights show. Because of my work schedule i wont be watching till many hours after it airs, possibly tomorrow morning. 

The continuity thread will likely be busy after the episode airs. Within this thread, discussion of content already broadcast is not considered a spoiler. I'd advise avoiding this forum altogether until after you've had a chance to view: especially this thread, the live comment thread, and the two-episode thread unlocking after the shows air tonight. 

• Love 6

If they’re going with the final season was a dream, I wonder if Dan’s unfinished boat will still be sitting in the garage unfinished. If the final season was  a dream, then Dan’s Mom didn’t burn it down. 

Edited by Stacey1014
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

If they’re going with the final season was a dream, I wonder if Dan’s unfinished boat will still be sitting in the garage unfinished. If the final season was  a dream, then Dan’s Mom didn’t burn it down. 

Well, its been 20 years. Im sure the boat is in a different condition after 20 years, not unfinished on the garage floor. 

• Love 2
On 3/25/2018 at 11:30 PM, Progeekzy said:

Was Becky/Darlene married to Mark or David? In the book it was one way but shown another. What’s canon there? 

After the first two episodes, we still don’t know. Darlene said she is without a partner—avoiding name(s), gender(s), and the parentage of her children. Roseanne (or was it Jackie?) said Becky’s unnamed husband died.

Harris’s age has been retconned to high school frosh, and Mark is probably named after his dad, uncle, and/or biological father.

The actor who played Mark is dead, so TPTB could either recast the role, make Mark Becky’s dead husband, or have Johnny Galecki play Mark as the father of one or both of Darlene’s kids. Yes, that sounds farfetched—but so is Roseanne saying grace and voting Republican, or Andy being MIA.

It would allow Galecki to play a character that’s nothing like Leonard Hofstadter. And Darlene could make a wisecrack about Harris’s height. (Sidebar: I love Emma Kenney on Shameless, and think she’s well-cast here.)

• Love 2
On 3/23/2018 at 4:03 PM, Stacey1014 said:

I could see that happening. A boy in his late teens/early 20s would probably have more in common with his father than his mother, especially if she drove him nuts like Bev did with Jackie. 

I could too. My sister divorced when my nephew was seven, and shared joint custody with her ex. Now that my nephew is early 20s, he works for his dad's business and recently moved in with him. Andy gravitating towards Fred would make perfect sense for a young man his age.

Regarding Mark, I'm glad they didn't recast. I can't imagine anyone but Glenn Quinn in that role.

Harris being a high school freshman is driving me batty. 

• Love 4

What happened to the diner? Thats still canon, right? If they still owned it they should be making some money. If they sold out they should have or do have some money. Or, lemme guess, it failed somehow and they had to close the doors cause they have to be poor cause reasons. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Progeekzy said:

What happened to the diner? Thats still canon, right? If they still owned it they should be making some money. If they sold out they should have or do have some money. Or, lemme guess, it failed somehow and they had to close the doors cause they have to be poor cause reasons. 

It's not "reasons".  Most restaurants fail, especially by the 20 year mark.

• Love 6