Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E05: Getting the Look

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, PBSLover said:

Yes.  My point was they have a huge arsenal of music to choose from.

Everyone can choose from the ASCAP catalog. Even us. DCC:MTT doesn't want to pay royalties, probably bc it is not a show with a huge budget, so they sub music. They don't have automatic free access to everything ever played in MTV. That's not how that works.

• Love 6
On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:59 PM, MelissaMinion said:

I miss Valley Ranch. It was a real, lived-in building, and you could tell there was a lot of dancing and practicing going on in that studio all day. 

The Star just looks like Corporate HQ, or a film set. Not the kind of place that inspires girls to come in and practice before class. I bet they have found a studio closer to where they all live to practice...since I'm hearing the drive to Frisco is kind of a bitch.

The HUGE posters of the squad are very distracting.

• Love 4
On 9/1/2017 at 9:16 AM, Stee said:

I wonder if these little editing mistakes will cause any fury with Kelly and Judy, or with the editors/producers of DCC:MTT??  I thought the closed caption mistake was a bad oversight, but only crazy fans (i.e. US!) would ever catch it or read about it. But if the iTunes episode shows Erica, then they DEFINITELY have some explaining to do!  I feel like a huge group of fans watch this on iTunes, especially since Time Warner/Spectrum moved CMT to a different tier and many people don't get CMT anymore .

The captions are done by a company and no one ever checks them, so if it's wrong, I doubt anyone but us noticed.

With itunes, once you deliver it to them, you kinda are stuck, it's there and it's a PITA to recall it.  The CMT version was likely still in edit, but even if it was already delivered, you could edit and send it to Knoxville a few hours before air if you really had to (they wouldn't like it, and I don't think that's what they did here, but you technically COULD).  But that's how they end up being slightly different.   The producers definitely know they are different, they just decide it's too much of a pain to change the iTunes version.  

1 hour ago, Collette1104 said:

But that's how they end up being slightly different.   The producers definitely know they are different, they just decide it's too much of a pain to change the iTunes version.  

Oh, this explains so much. Because I watched the show twice on demand and saw and heard nothing about an Erica. So there's a different version of the episode out there where they metion this Erica person?

On 9/1/2017 at 5:04 PM, dreamcatcher said:

I wanted to ask about these guest choreographers... i know that they are using some of these choreos,but some like the one in this episode are definitely not their material. Why would they interrupt training camp where they have to learn 50 choreos with random stuff?

this is exactly what I said.  It's mean to take brain space on something throw-away when they actually have 50 routines to learn.

On 9/2/2017 at 3:11 AM, GWN 617 said:

I think I remember Kelli explaining in another season she likes to bring in different choreographers to expose the cheerleaders to different styles.  Sometimes they use the choreographer for work they will use on the field i.e. Michelle Keys choreographed a quarter change for them.  Sometimes in the case of Jordan who was on this episode they use the choreography for show group and that number was eventually used at a halftime for the whole team last season.

I think they used Jordan's choreography last year for show group and a half time show.  I think Kelli likes using him as well as some other Dallas choreographers.  

This explains why I really hate everything about that routine.  I even get mad when I see them wearing those outfits.  SO. Hideous.

ya'll, I'm bored by this season.........

• Love 2

He thought Jordan looked like someone's younger brother that had just gotten out of rehab and hadn't seen any women in a long time.

This has to be one of the funniest things I've ever read on the forum, right up there with "electric cattle prod to the hoo hah"! Tell Mr. Angeltoes I think he's fabulous!

He keeps me amused!  As Kelli was "critiquing" one of the women in her office, he said he'd pay to hear one of them say to her,"Get off my back, you old bag, and let's see you try to do this."  I said,"She CAN do it.  She used to be one of them."  He stared at me, took a long look at Kelli and then said,"How long ago was THAT?"

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

He keeps me amused!  As Kelli was "critiquing" one of the women in her office, he said he'd pay to hear one of them say to her,"Get off my back, you old bag, and let's see you try to do this."  I said,"She CAN do it.  She used to be one of them."  He stared at me, took a long look at Kelli and then said,"How long ago was THAT?"

Mr. Angeltoes is a definite keeper!

My hubby, Mr. ATLGirl, has been watching the show with me since Season Three and he watches them with me over and over and over, even though I know he's probably sick of seeing them. Before we bought them on iTunes, he burned what we had DVRed onto DVDs so we could take them with us on trips. On one of them he has written in Sharpie "T. made me do this!" so if anybody saw the DVDs (like the babysitter) lying around at our house, they wouldn't think he was some pervy guy who liked staring at hot cheerleaders all the time when it's really me with the addiction.

Edited by ATLGirl
  • Love 3
On 9/2/2017 at 10:33 AM, Angeltoes said:

He thought Jordan looked like someone's younger brother that had just gotten out of rehab and hadn't seen any women in a long time. 

Goodness, yes. I really like Jordan and his style, but he was looking ROUGH. I don't know if it's just too much caffeine and too little sleep or something less legal, but I was distracted. Hopefully he can get some down time or whatever he needs to get back to his usual. 

My favorite part of the makeovers (besides biggen) was Kalyssa giggling and describing Miranda's horror over her cut.  It just tickled my funny bone and made me like her more. It didn't seem malicious at all, but more good natured teasing. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, kalibean said:

Goodness, yes. I really like Jordan and his style, but he was looking ROUGH. I don't know if it's just too much caffeine and too little sleep or something less legal, but I was distracted. Hopefully he can get some down time or whatever he needs to get back to his usual. 

My favorite part of the makeovers (besides biggen) was Kalyssa giggling and describing Miranda's horror over her cut.  It just tickled my funny bone and made me like her more. It didn't seem malicious at all, but more good natured teasing. 

Nope. It's the heroine. (LOL JK he does look burnt out)

• Love 1

You'd think that in this day and age with the internet and the fact that the show is now on its TWELFTH season, the TCC would know better how to respond to getting called into Kelli's office. During the first set of office visits in this episode, the three girls just sat and stared at Kelli like deer in the headlights after being given feedback. There weren't passionate attempts to convince Kelli that they could fix whatever the problem is.

In past season when a girl was told her kicks weren't high enough, the TCC would say, "I've been stretching and I know that I can gain a few more inches of flexibility if you just give me some more time!" If a girl was told that her dancing wasn't powerful enough, she would say, "I will definitely work on that! Please give me the opportunity to show you that I can be more powerful in my movements!"

I'm not saying that I want to see them beg to stay, but in the past they've at least tried to respond by acknowledging whatever Kelli said was a problem, promising to improve it, and saying that they just need more time. The only girl who I remember from the first group of office visits in this episode who really made an effort to do that was the one with the hair in her face (Alexandria?).

In contrast, Celinda was smart enough to say that even if she hated her makeover, she would tell Kelli that she loved it, which made me laugh.

Lauren really drew my attention this week while she was dancing. She has power and sass and she's really entertaining to watch.

Not surprised that Erin was cut. She didn't have the DCC look so I didn't think she would make the team. She's not unattractive or anything, but Kelli definitely has a particular look for the girls and she rarely strays from it. But man, Erin had beautiful high kicks. Watching her during the kickline made me think she had a chance.

On 8/31/2017 at 7:08 PM, kacesq said:

Also, every year we hear "I've never done a jump split." Why not? None of the prep classes teach it? No one ever tries before entering training camp?

I don't get it either. When I was in high school, I just decided to try one to see if I could do it. My process was (1) bend my knees, jump straight up in the air to do a split, and land on my feet just to see if I could do a split leap from a standing position (2) do a jump split and land on the ground. I already knew I could do regular splits on the floor as well as split leaps (brush and developpé) with squared hips so I was like eh, let's just go for it.

On 8/31/2017 at 9:44 PM, Dccfan126 said:

This hip hop choreography is dumb. The DCC never do this. It is a funny thing for TV but has nothing to do with their performance value.

While I think it's good for all dancers to get out of their comfort zone and try different styles, I think that in a situation like training camp where they are learning a lot of dances (Brianna said they learned four dances during the first week of DCC at some point during this episode), it is a waste of time and brain power to have them learn extra dances that they aren't actually going to perform. They have a limited amount of time to learn numerous dances so their rehearsal time should be focused on that.

It just drives me crazy when any sort of competition insists on adding something to the process that isn't part of the skill set required for the job. I always hated that American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance made the kids come up with choreography after the initial cut from open auditions. Neither show has group choreography as part of the actual competition, so asking them to create choreography is about as pointless as asking them to fold origami cranes or install a carburator. It has nothing to do with the actual competition so I think it's mean to make them do it.

Similarly, the DCC are expected to do pom dances, not hip hop, not lyrical, not pointe, not tap. So why bother asking the girls to do it as part of training camp? Oh yeah, the same reason the kids on AI and SYTYCD have to choreograph: the drama.

On 9/1/2017 at 8:35 AM, M1977G said:

Madeline with her poor me and my air mattress. Since she is a recent graduate from an elite private university, I can believe that doing without furniture for all of 2 weeks was extreme roughing it to her. She is super cute and has a lot of performance potential, I think, but she could have explained herself better in the meeting. Tell them how hard you've trained and what kinds of classes you took the past few years, not about moving to Dallas with an air mattress. Sheesh.

99% of the time when someone on a reality show says, "This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do," my reaction is to think well, if THIS is the hardest thing you've ever had to do, then you are lucky enough that you've lived a very charmed and easy life! Heh, but I have to admit that these days, I am a lot pickier about where I sleep. I used to be able to sleep anywhere without a problem but in the past few years, I've noticed that if I sleep on the floor or a shitty mattress, my back sometimes hurts the next day. Part of a dancer's responsibility is taking care of her body so having a comfortable place to sleep is important. That said, an air mattress is not uncomfortable. I slept on one for a month while I waited to move into my first place after college and it was really comfy! I didn't have a fancy air mattress either. It was a cheapie one I bought at Cost Co!

Don't the girls have a few weeks between the end of final auditions and the beginning of training camp? Unless TC starts the day after finals, there is no reason why she shouldn't have had a bed until the second week of training camp. Most mattress places will deliver within a few days (there are several I know that advertise same day delivery). The first piece of furniture I bought when I moved into my first real place was a bed. As nice as it is to have a dresser, a dining room table, or a sofa to make your house feel like a home, you need somewhere to sleep so order that first!

On 9/1/2017 at 7:17 PM, Silverleaf said:

I'm evil so I liked that they showed Mirandas horror at getting her hair cut. I was totally underwhelmed with her makeover. I just thought her hair looked messy afterwards. 

The folders are back back in the "office". They are difficult to see because in most shots they are directly behind Judy but sometimes you can see them poking out.

Yes on both counts! Miranda freaking out that her hair was getting cut shorter than she thought reminded me of all those women on What Not to Wear who would FREAK OUT if Nick said he wanted to cut more than an inch of their hair. After taking out her extensions and getting a haircut, Miranda's hair looked exactly the same in the side by side before and after shots.

I spotted the folders too and clapped my hands with glee! I don't know why it gives me such joy. Probably because I'm nosy and like to see what the labels say.

On 9/1/2017 at 8:19 PM, NMDD43 said:

Kalyssa's jump split is perfection! 

Yes I am a weirdo and I pause it during jump splits and kicks ?

Resized_20170901_221831.jpg

I do the same thing too so high five! I also always pause during the first episode to see how many people are actually sitting in the stands and each time the board with the numbers comes out so that I can count. [/OCD]

On 9/1/2017 at 2:24 PM, Stan39 said:

I thought that guest choreographer, Jordan, was ridiculous. He barely even used words when explaining what to do!!!

On 9/2/2017 at 0:11 AM, dreamcatcher said:

Oh god I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought his teaching was ridiculous. I'm sure that dancers who have worked with him a lot can understand what he is saying but random dancers can't possibly understand what "then bam then mmm then whatever" is supposed to be.

On 9/2/2017 at 9:43 AM, M1977G said:

I think the girls understood him perfectly. Choreographers use all kinds of strange terms and sounds that don't make sense to non-dancers. Each dance teacher develops his/her own lingo to build off shared dance terms like pirouette and tendu. They actually can help you visualize the movement and get a sense of the feeling with the music, like when he was talking about the bass sound and how the arm movement needs to fit the sound of the music. But I totally get how it might sound like nonsense.

Normally choreographers teach using counts, but it's pretty common for choreographers to use noises instead of or in addition to counting. I still remember the non-dancers watching Making the Band 3 asking why Laurie Ann made noises when teaching choreography to the girls who eventually became Danity Kane. That's how she earned her TWoP nickname Boom Kat.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
On 9/4/2017 at 0:54 PM, ATLGirl said:

This has to be one of the funniest things I've ever read on the forum, right up there with "electric cattle prod to the hoo hah"! Tell Mr. Angeltoes I think he's fabulous!

I remember Jordan's first appearance with the girls from Season 7 or 8, and I didn't like him then because it felt like he was trying way too hard to sound like he was "from the 'hood" when he's really a (very talented) skinny little white dude. This year, he seemed more relaxed and not trying nearly as hard, maybe his fiance's helped him to relax a bit. He was a lot more enjoyable to watch (for me) this time around because he seemed more genuine.

I liked seeing Jordan's fiancee too.  I think she is adorable!

• Love 1

Am I the only one who liked Miranda significantly less after this episode was over? She reminded me of the immature/ungrateful girls from ANTM who would freak out about their makeovers. Or Loren's reaction going brunette. Then she's having a dramatic crying issue over the jumpsplits 20 minutes later. Maybe her showmanship was better than Celinda's, but at least Celinda has a great/smart attitude with 'If I didn't like my hair I would never tell Kelli. I'd act like I loved it.' Meh

• Love 3
1 hour ago, UnicornKicks said:

Miranda needs to worry more about her bad boob job than a haircut.

Miranda to me seems so mature - like the way she speaks and carries herself she is like a woman among girls around the rest of the DCC.  Like she seems way closer to Judy and Kelly personality-wise than any of the other cheerleaders except maybe Jinelle.  Anyone know how old she is? 

When you watch her talk, it's very easy to forget about her botched plastic surgery for some reason.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, evasworld123 said:

Loren's reaction going brunette. 

If I were Loren I would have been upset too, overall brunette did not look good on her at all.  They should have just done some lowlights to blend out the yellow in her original blonde.

• Love 1