Type keyword(s) to search

Texas health conditions

• Start Topic

We all know what condition Texas is now. I am just curious, since its raining so hard in the place and water damages, floods, water pumps are broken even drainage are flooded in water. How are the condition of the people there? That with all these water damages there's gotta be sickness that they can get with all these flows of the water.

• Love 1

We were talking about that at my hair appointment today. Those poor people walking in that water that has sewage, fluids from vehicles, critters, etc., was just horrifying. God forbid you cut yourself in that water and it gets infected. If I were being rescued I would demand a tetanus shot pronto and a horse shot of an antibiotic. I might even shave my head and start over with that. And the sweet little old folks rescued from nursing homes who already are frail and have compromised systems. I can't imagine what all those people will be facing. 

This whole thing is just incomprehensible.

• Love 1

Spunkygal,

I imagine the best way to get a ballpark deal is to think back what it meant for those survivors of the 2005 Tsunami and dial it back   a little re factoring in better access to food, medicine and treatments than folks in Sri Lanka and coastal Thailand would have in the best of times.  Yes, all the accounts of the youths, elderly and those with physical challenges  having to contend with all those issues are rather heartbreaking. However; I'm also wondering if this could herald more outbreaks of Zika Virus with all the standing water and mosquitos!

My parents lost their house in Katrina and I along with my brother and sister spent days trudging through debris that had gone through storm surge.  (Most of the house collapsed, but enough was standing that we could walk through parts of it.) I tried not to think of what that water had in it when it came through (it was sea water, but it had gone through at least two streets of houses before it reached my parents' house), but we wanted to salvage what we could (mainly items that could be carefully cleaned).  The water had receded, but anywhere that water could have been trapped had that stinky water in it (we called it 'Katrina Stew' and it was bad).  I took precautions where I could.  I didn't climb on anything that could make me step in the water itself, I tried to be very careful not to get cut or scratched.  I wore work gloves that I left outside each night when I got home along with my sneakers.  Those never came into my house and were discarded as soon as I finished salvaging.  My clothes went into the washer to be washed each night as well (luckily my laundry room is where you enter when you go into my house) so they never went farther than that room.  I also got a tetanus shot as soon as I could.  We did the best we could and were happy that we were able to salvage at least some of my parents' belongings, but I never want to have to do that again and I really feel for the people that have to go through that ordeal in Texas.  We were lucky that no one got sick.

• Love 2
On 9/1/2017 at 10:22 AM, Spunkygal said:

We were talking about that at my hair appointment today. Those poor people walking in that water that has sewage, fluids from vehicles, critters, etc., was just horrifying. God forbid you cut yourself in that water and it gets infected. If I were being rescued I would demand a tetanus shot pronto and a horse shot of an antibiotic. I might even shave my head and start over with that. And the sweet little old folks rescued from nursing homes who already are frail and have compromised systems. I can't imagine what all those people will be facing. 

This whole thing is just incomprehensible.

I am also shocked with all these terrible happening. I really suggest that you have a tetanus shot. flooded house means all those waste from the basement have been flowing all over. 

On 9/4/2017 at 1:43 AM, BooksRule said:

My parents lost their house in Katrina and I along with my brother and sister spent days trudging through debris that had gone through storm surge.  (Most of the house collapsed, but enough was standing that we could walk through parts of it.) I tried not to think of what that water had in it when it came through (it was sea water, but it had gone through at least two streets of houses before it reached my parents' house), but we wanted to salvage what we could (mainly items that could be carefully cleaned).  The water had receded, but anywhere that water could have been trapped had that stinky water in it (we called it 'Katrina Stew' and it was bad).  I took precautions where I could.  I didn't climb on anything that could make me step in the water itself, I tried to be very careful not to get cut or scratched.  I wore work gloves that I left outside each night when I got home along with my sneakers.  Those never came into my house and were discarded as soon as I finished salvaging.  My clothes went into the washer to be washed each night as well (luckily my laundry room is where you enter when you go into my house) so they never went farther than that room.  I also got a tetanus shot as soon as I could.  We did the best we could and were happy that we were able to salvage at least some of my parents' belongings, but I never want to have to do that again and I really feel for the people that have to go through that ordeal in Texas.  We were lucky that no one got sick.

You also got lucky that none of your family members drowned. I have a friend that she also had survived with the flood over the last years but did not get any tetanus shot, few days passed she had chicken pox from the waste of water damage clean up and she even had to drink some accidentally while evacuating the place

I agree with the Tetanus shots but would take it a step further. I'd want to make sure that I was vaccinated against two of the hepatitis strains (Hep-A and Hep-B). I realize they are a series of injections but at least get them started ASAP and try to build up the immunity. 

People may be getting sick but without a strong working medical community, it make keep them from getting the help, medication or care they need. They should have vaccination stations right near where they are handing out water, supplies or goods. If the insurance system was smart they'd know that this would save them money in the long run. 

There were medical personnel (nurses medics, anyone who could give injections) going door to door offering tetanus shots.  One day someone rang the doorbell and offered me a shot.  I didn't really realize what I had done until later, but I let her give me a shot without even checking i.d. (I seem to remember that she was wearing an i.d. tag and had on scrubs or something similar).  I had heard on the news that this was going on, but later I thought to myself that someone evil could have been going around injecting people with who knows what!  

I didn't think about hepatitis, but I know there were fears by some that typhoid would show up because of the contaminated water, but I don't think there were any water-related illnesses.  I know that although water pressure got low at times, I never lost running water at my house.  You couldn't drink it for a while, though.