Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: The 1 Percenters

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

I was sold from the moment Kate talked about mad Canadians just being less likely to hug. 

This is maybe off-topic, but I'm getting weary of previously.tv giving up on recaps and switching entirely to podcast format.  I sure as all damn don't have time to listen to 80 podcasts per day, but I could find time to skim 80 recaps.  Writing is a lost art. 

• Love 22

This season makes me sad.  They're on St. Martin (or Sint Maartin), which recently got slammed by Irma.  :-(  

Saint Martin is one of my very favorite islands in the Caribbean (that and Curaçao) and my heart goes out to everybody down there.  

• Love 9
7 hours ago, jumper sage said:

We had a boat when I was a kid.  As Detroiters we would go to Boblo Isand and Cedar Point all the time.

Also a Detroiter!  Married a life-long boater so I'm a boater by default.  Below Deck is the only Bravo show Mr. Ryebread can stomach for longer than 2 minutes.  He was out of town this week so he missed the debut of this season....I wonder if he'll be able to deal with the dum dums.  He's almost obsessive when it comes to safety on the water so I imagine these kids will try his patience hard.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

This season makes me sad.  They're on St. Martin (or Sint Maartin), which recently got slammed by Irma.  :-(  

Saint Martin is one of my very favorite islands in the Caribbean (that and Curaçao) and my heart goes out to everybody down there.  

I love Curacao!  Did not like Aruba.  My favorite has to be St. Lucia.   I haven't been to St. Martin.  Yet!

Not really fond of the extreme sport guests. Mainly because of the No Pants stuff.  

As a female viewer, I'm appreciating the legs on Chef Canada and do not want them covered up.

• Love 4
On 9/5/2017 at 9:27 PM, Mindthinkr said:

The boat looks filthy. The pillows (before being put into pillowcases) had stains and so did the sheets. Kate has her hands full with this crew. 

Love seeing Captain Lee back. I just laughed my butt off (pun allowed) about the description of the nail being pounded...in his TH.

OMG the pillow! I had to rewind to make sure I actually saw that.?

• Love 7

I just kind of assumed the crew brought their own bedding. We don't really see it, but that made sense to me. Sometimes I take one of my pillows on vacations with me (space permitting). I'd probably do the same on a six week work assignment. Mine have pillowcases, though, so at least you can't see how gross they are.

It doesn't excuse the state of that pillow, but at least it's being used exclusively by one person and isn't communal property.

• Love 1

Nico's jacket reminds me of the couch that was in my furnished college apartment...fugly color and squeaky too.

Kate must be heavily medicated during the first episode or she doesn't give a flying FU*K anymore since the guests are just setups who are getting their charter free to be filmed.

As for the tease, the ship must be pegged for dry dock if they allowed it to be crashed later in the season.

The Valor being blown up at sea....that would be a humdinger of a finale!

• Love 1
On 9/8/2017 at 0:11 AM, ryebread said:

The whole boat looks tired.

I wonder if that is why Kate said to Capt. Lee "Valor, again huh?" She really may have meant "I thought you said you'd never pilot this old POS again after the last time..." 

GOD I missed this show, it's filling the RHONY gap. Below Deck Mediterranean begone! I lasted two min on Mediterranean. 

Mom stew would have been fired on the SPOT for throwing the drink maker under the bus in front of the primary ! WTF! Nooo. Nut-uh. Total lame move, poor character there she's dead to me in likeability for the whole season. You don't put your self in front of your team, ever. And the primary knew it. 

That said, the primary and his guests looked like total assholes want want want wanting more adventure, wanting a higher place to jump, they are entitled to a great trip but they came off as more about demanding on camera, more

so than relaxing. 

• Love 1

I have zero interest in the training of the crew. The intentional casting of green deck crew is a tired plot device to yield drama. I think a group of seasoned crew would be far more entertaining  and more drama-filled. Nothing like a bunch of know-it-alls working together.

• Love 11

I just hate the whole - let's throw a bunch of green crew on the boat the day before guests arrive. You can't even have one full day with them showing them the basics before it is a time crunch with guests arriving. I know - where would the drama be in that?!?! but to me all the producer shenanigans just make me cringe. 

• Love 5

Well at least we have The Stud of the Sea back! I was ok with Capt. Sandy but Lee is the OG.

Blaming the bartender for the drink? Lame. You can LOOK at the glass and see it's not a martini glass! If you can't remember, duck behind a door, and write it down. Rookies. 

• Love 3

I don't think Jen realizing it wasn't a Martini glass would have mattered. The guest said "gin martini" and Jen heard, "gin and tonic". Because she ASKED Kate for a gin and tonic. She can't even remember a drink in the two minutes it takes to walk back to the galley. And I don't even think she realized SHE ordered it wrong/misheard the guest. She's a real ditz and I would be driven mad working with her. 

• Love 9
On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:29 PM, chenoa333 said:

I'm SO happy Sienna/Sierra/Sahara ( or whatever her f'n name is) has left the cast. I love Ben, Kate & Capt Lee!

Me too.  I am really missing Ben on both Below Deck shows.  

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Peper81 said:

Me too.  I am really missing Ben on both Below Deck shows.  

Why isn't Ben on the show anymore? Could it be he's actually smart and realizes being on a reality show could ruin his career/relationships? Or did he just find a better job on another yacht? 

40 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Why isn't Ben on the show anymore? Could it be he's actually smart and realizes being on a reality show could ruin his career/relationships? Or did he just find a better job on another yacht? 

I love Ben in theory, but he was starting to wear a little thin. Glad to hear he's still with Emily. I thought she was a little young for him, but they were cute together. 

Sorry to hear Kate's relationship didn't last. I just adore her. She's smart, funny, sarcastic, and great at what she does. She would be a terrific catch for someone!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I don't think Jen realizing it wasn't a Martini glass would have mattered. The guest said "gin martini" and Jen heard, "gin and tonic". Because she ASKED Kate for a gin and tonic. She can't even remember a drink in the two minutes it takes to walk back to the galley. And I don't even think she realized SHE ordered it wrong/misheard the guest. She's a real ditz and I would be driven mad working with her. 

I think this chick is going to be a mess. Last season we had Rocky and this year it's stew mom. I guess they need one unstable crew member each season to keep it interesting. 

We're only one episode in, but it looks like she's going to be super cringeworthy.

Neco was not my favorite last season. In fact, I thought he was pretty rude. Let's see if he's matured any. He's been through a lot this past year. I do wish him the best. Hopefully, he'll knock it out of the park!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Hockeymom said:

I think this chick is going to be a mess. Last season we had Rocky and this year it's stew mom. I guess they need one unstable crew member each season to keep it interesting. 

We're only one episode in, but it looks like she's going to be super cringeworthy.

Neco was not my favorite last season. In fact, I thought he was pretty rude. Let's see if he's matured any. He's been through a lot this past year. I do wish him the best. Hopefully, he'll knock it out of the park!

Jen's overly botoxed face makes her look much older than I bet she is. Plus it annoys me that she gets to "live out her dream" of being out to sea and dumps her daughter on her dad.  If you want to live out your dreams, and that includes 6 week stints away from your kid, maybe you shouldn't have been a parent?

• Love 8
On 9/5/2017 at 8:37 PM, TexasGal said:

1/2 an hour in and I hate all the new crew, except the chef.  Awesome.  

This. And the chef described himself as a "meat and potatoes" chef so I'm not sure where that will lead on a luxury yacht..

On 9/5/2017 at 8:40 PM, Emmeline said:

I just noticed one of the pillows for the crew looked so stained yellow it was gross.  Even in the best 5 star hotels where the beds seem and feel yummy I'm always freaked about how often they change the actual duvet or the pillow liner.  It really is gross when you think how many have slept and did WHATEVER in that bed.  Even the the Best Hotels.  That's why you never see bedspreads anymore.

5 star hotels are actually the most likely to be dirty based on studies. I worked for a midprice chain and the duvets were washed twice a year ( That is industry standard.) unless they were noticeably stained or whatever. They were also supposed to do the duvet if it was left on the floor. The top sheets put on the duvets were washed for every guest. The pillow liners were done once a year when housekeeping did "completes" which was completely stripping the beds and washing everything. The blankets on the beds are also only washed a few times a year, which is the grossest part to me. I suggest taking it off the bed and asking for an extra blanket from the front desk to use - those were curiously washed every time they are used. Hotel beds across all hotel classes are pretty gross.

On 9/5/2017 at 8:44 PM, Emmeline said:

I feel so bad for Nico.  You can just see there is no joy in him this go round.

I'm not sure if it was a good idea or not for him to do this season just a few months after his brother died suddenly.

On 9/5/2017 at 10:37 PM, movingtargetgal said:

That is why the first thing I do when checking into a hotel room is to remove the bedspread, fold it and put it in the bottom of the closet.  

Forget folding it, chuck in on the floor. It is way more likely to be washed in that case.

On 9/7/2017 at 4:19 PM, Neurochick said:

So terrible what is going on there right now. ❤️ 

On 9/7/2017 at 10:33 PM, McManda said:

I just kind of assumed the crew brought their own bedding. We don't really see it, but that made sense to me. Sometimes I take one of my pillows on vacations with me (space permitting). I'd probably do the same on a six week work assignment. Mine have pillowcases, though, so at least you can't see how gross they are.

It doesn't excuse the state of that pillow, but at least it's being used exclusively by one person and isn't communal property.

I doubt that very much. I would assume they are limited on how much they can bring and bedding is already provided. Gross that someone couldn't put down the $20 to get a new pillow instead of bringing that nasty thing to be shown on tv in either case.

On 9/9/2017 at 1:10 PM, laprin said:

I have zero interest in the training of the crew. The intentional casting of green deck crew is a tired plot device to yield drama. I think a group of seasoned crew would be far more entertaining  and more drama-filled. Nothing like a bunch of know-it-alls working together.

Ooh, that would be good!

5 hours ago, ghoulina said:

So far I think Jen is an idiot. She's really going to annoy me.

I'm just not really feeling this season so far. If Lee and Kate weren't there I'd be out for sure.

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, sasha206 said:

Jen's overly botoxed face makes her look much older than I bet she is. Plus it annoys me that she gets to "live out her dream" of being out to sea and dumps her daughter on her dad.  If you want to live out your dreams, and that includes 6 week stints away from your kid, maybe you shouldn't have been a parent?

I agree. Or, ya know, do like most young parents - live out those dreams when the kid is 18 and off doing their own thing. 

17 hours ago, Rebecca said:

Forget folding it, chuck in on the floor. It is way more likely to be washed in that case.

So when staying in a hotel, should I leave by throwing all the bedding on the floor, as a courtesy to the other guests? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:
18 hours ago, Rebecca said:

So when staying in a hotel, should I leave by throwing all the bedding on the floor, as a courtesy to the other guests? 

I picture housekeeping just shaking that out and putting it right back on. Eew. 

I fold the extras up, drape them over a chair and then go wash my hands. 

2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Basically, yes. It's also more helpful to housekeeping if you strip the bed. I usually do, plus it ensures they wash the sheets too since they're already off...

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I picture housekeeping just shaking that out and putting it right back on. Eew. 

I fold the extras up, drape them over a chair and then go wash my hands. 

It's possible but we had a rule that they had to bring the stuff from the floor to be washed. Can't guarantee it will happen but it definitely wouldn't be if it was left on the bed. Plus, is the floor really more dirty than the comforter/duvet that's been used for who knows what for 20-30+ other guests?

Basically, hotels are gross. Working in them really opened my eyes.

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 3

This makes me feel better about my extreme lack of travelling. 

I did go to Ireland in April. We stayed in B&Bs, and I witnessed the hosts stripping and washing the bedding after every guest left. 

I couldn't tell you the last time I stayed in a hotel. But next time I do, I might sleep in the tub. 

• Love 3

Haha, I'm SURE the average B and B is way cleaner than the average hotel room. Smaller places probably usually are. I still travel a lot but I do extra things as much as I can to ensure I'm not touching gross stuff. I'm only speaking for the United States when it comes to room cleanliness. The cleanest place I've ever stayed was a houseboat in Amsterdam! 

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 1
On 9/11/2017 at 9:16 AM, ghoulina said:

I don't think it is even a matter of her not remembering, I think she stopped listening as soon as she heard gin and just assumed a G&T was what was wanted.  

• Love 2
On 9/5/2017 at 9:13 PM, Caseysgirl said:

Is it really possible to be hired as a deckhand or a stew on a yacht that easily?  It seems that there must be some maritime rules about taking a course or having experienceat least, for the people who are responsible for taking a large vessel out to sea and then parking it in a busy marina, all while ferrying around rich people who are jumping off the top of said vessel. It can't JUST be pretty faces and interesting personalities.

That seems like a question for Cherith Cutestory. law2.gif