Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: The 1 Percenters

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Capt. Lee Rosbach, Kate, Nico, and new crew members set sail on the mega yacht Valor in the waters off the coast of St. Maarten; Kate and Nico have their hands full training inexperienced crew members; Nico deals with a personal tragedy.

• Love 1
On 9/3/2017 at 9:35 PM, Maharincess said:

I can't wait for this. The original is so much better than Med. I would give anything for Fugs to work under Kate and try the bullshit she pulled on Hannah. Kate would bury her. 

That would be fun to watch though (evil laugh)

• Love 6

The boat looks filthy. The pillows (before being put into pillowcases) had stains and so did the sheets. Kate has her hands full with this crew. 

Love seeing Captain Lee back. I just laughed my butt off (pun allowed) about the description of the nail being pounded...in his TH.

• Love 16
On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:35 PM, Maharincess said:

I can't wait for this. The original is so much better than Med. I would give anything for Fugs to work under Kate and try the bullshit she pulled on Hannah. Kate would bury her. 

Who's 'Fugs'?

It's going to be hard to get to know this cast. So many.  But not as hard as it would be to train all these green horns. 

Seems sketchy when the deckhands don't know the difference between 'fore' and 'aft' or how to assist in anchoring a yacht.

The mom stew reminds me of a dumb(er) version of Camille Grammar.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

The boat looks filthy. The pillows (before being put into pillowcases) had stains and so did the sheets. Kate has her hands full with this crew. 

Love seeing Captain Lee back. I just laughed my butt off (pun allowed) about the description of the nail being pounded...in his TH.

I just noticed one of the pillows for the crew looked so stained yellow it was gross.  Even in the best 5 star hotels where the beds seem and feel yummy I'm always freaked about how often they change the actual duvet or the pillow liner.  It really is gross when you think how many have slept and did WHATEVER in that bed.  Even the the Best Hotels.  That's why you never see bedspreads anymore.

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, ryebread said:

Who's 'Fugs'?

Bugs from Below Deck Meh... I mean Med.

3 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

1/2 an hour in and I hate all the new crew, except the chef.  Awesome.  

I was coming here to say... 

A new season begins. Can't wait to find out who I'll come to be annoyed with over the next few weeks.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, ryebread said:

Who's 'Fugs'?

It's going to be hard to get to know this cast. So many.  But not as hard as it would be to train all these green horns. 

Seems sketchy when the deckhands don't know the difference between 'fore' and 'aft' or how to assist in anchoring a yacht.

The mom stew reminds me of a dumb(er) version of Camille Grammar.

"Fugs" is a nickname some posters have for Bugsy who was the second stew on Below Deck: Med.

I think luxury motor yacht Valor would be better off with a bunch of Previously TV commenters as the crew. At least we know the difference between fore and aft.

Even though I know it doesn't happen, I'm going to spend this season anticipating the sinking of Valor. To call this crew green is an insult to greenies. 

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, ryebread said:

LOL.  I dunno.....I get the feeling that caesar salad is the new beef cheeks.

Oh, I'm sure I'll get there with him too.  But he is going to make it through one whole episode.

Poor Nico.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Even though I know it doesn't happen, I'm going to spend this season anticipating the sinking of Valor. To call this crew green is an insult to greenies. 

Their greenness runs the gamut from ignorant (when dumb Camille takes the wrong drink to the guest and then explains that, "Hey man, I didn't make the drink, I'm just delivering it.") to dangerous (swinging tenders in the air, and deckhands that probably can't swim. Bruno.)

Haha.  Nico just said in next week's preview that the deckhands are greener than a leprechaun's dick.

• Love 14
1 minute ago, ryebread said:

Their greenness runs the gamut from ignorant (when dumb Camille takes the wrong drink to the guest and then explains that, "Hey man, I didn't make the drink, I'm just delivering it.") to dangerous (swinging tenders in the air, and deckhands that probably can't swim. Bruno.)

Haha.  Nico just said in next week's preview that the deckhands are greener than a leprechaun's dick.

This nonsense is freaking scary. It's scary to watch. It must have been scarier to live through.

It's also really ridiculous that the deck crew has to put up with Bruno, who is clearly a stew, but can't be one on this season because none of the other stews can do deck crew work.

I can't imagine how maddening this season must have been for Lee, Kate, and Nico.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, ryebread said:

LOL.  I dunno.....I get the feeling that caesar salad is the new beef cheeks.

I do too. I think we'll see two crew leave this season. The guy deckhand and I think the stewardess that's a mom

Gonna be an entertaining season for sure

• Love 1

Is it really possible to be hired as a deckhand or a stew on a yacht that easily?  It seems that there must be some maritime rules about taking a course or having experienceat least, for the people who are responsible for taking a large vessel out to sea and then parking it in a busy marina, all while ferrying around rich people who are jumping off the top of said vessel. It can't JUST be pretty faces and interesting personalities.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Caseysgirl said:

Is it really possible to be hired as a deckhand or a stew on a yacht that easily?  It seems that there must be some maritime rules about taking a course or having experienceat least, for the people who are responsible for taking a large vessel out to sea and then parking it in a busy marina, all while ferrying around rich people who are jumping off the top of said vessel. It can't JUST be pretty faces and interesting personalities.

I think most of them are from central casting and take a course in Florida to get certified. 

• Love 5

The stew that said she wasn't "thrilled with the maid part of being a stew" ... oh honey, do you even know what you signed up for?

Does Bruno understand English well? It seems like a lot of his issues stemmed from a lack of comprehension. 

Chef Matt talks the right game - "it's important to cook what the guests want". That's reversing after watching a season of Med-Adam blatantly disregarding preference sheets for fun. Time will tell if he turns into a only beefcheeks-Leon. It looks like he turns into a class-A brobag on a personal level, though.

I feel so sad for Nico. Hopefully he finds a smile and didn't crack under the added charter pressure.

I missed Captain Lee and Kate.

Not feeling mom-stew at all. Bruno's heart seems to be in the right place, but he seems kind of inept. Matt seems like he's potentially good at his job but not someone I'd want to associate with. Jury's out on hippy stew and female deckhand.

Edited by McManda
Adam was on Med, duh
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

I think luxury motor yacht Valor would be better off with a bunch of Previously TV commenters as the crew. At least we know the difference between fore and aft.

I…do not.  I assume fore is forward and aft is in the back, but I do not know boat stuff.  Still, I feel comfortable saying I'd be better than any of the greenies.

Who passes the buck in hospitality like mom stew did with the martini?  It doesn't matter who made the drink, it matters that it was wrong and that you quickly correct the mistake.

Captain Lee was cracking me up with his descriptions of the green crew and how he felt about their lack of experience.  I did like that he said he has no problem teaching them new stuff…once.  That's our Cap'n!

The debut-not…I wonder how long it took her to come up with that.  I'm guessing two weeks.

The stews seem useless (except for Kate), same with the deckhands (save Nico)…and Chris introducing himself as "Chris Brown" was old the first time he did it.  And you could tell he thought he was the epitome of wit by letting people know he's not that Chris Brown.  Really, dude?  STFU, not cute for a variety of reasons.

• Love 21
1 hour ago, Emmeline said:

I just noticed one of the pillows for the crew looked so stained yellow it was gross.  Even in the best 5 star hotels where the beds seem and feel yummy I'm always freaked about how often they change the actual duvet or the pillow liner.  It really is gross when you think how many have slept and did WHATEVER in that bed.  Even the the Best Hotels.  That's why you never see bedspreads anymore.

That is why the first thing I do when checking into a hotel room is to remove the bedspread, fold it and put it in the bottom of the closet.  

• Love 6

Me too, but I notice more and more finer hotels are going with just a white duvet.  For years I tried to duplicate the way those 5 star beds felt.  The great sheets, duvet with cover.  I bought it all but it was never the same.  Then I figured out (which is clear from this show;  THE SHEETS AND DIVET COVER ARE PRESSED.  Well I love those comfy beds and great sheets but I'm not going to iron or take them to the cleaners!

• Love 6

I am proud to say that I have not used an iron in over 20 years.  It is my way of rebelling against my grandfather's demanding that my grandmother iron every stitch of laundry from the bed sheets and dishtowels to all the socks and underwear.  I remember my poor grandmother ironing the laundry for hours in the summer heat while he sat in his underwear drinking beer in front of the TV.  I swore I would never let my husband make me do that. This is why I could never be a stewardess, I am allergic to starch, irons, and ironing boards. :)    

• LOL 1
  • Love 20

Did anyone see Kate and Nico on WWHL?  My concern is actually about Andy--he looked really different and has this bulbous thing on the left side of his neck.   And Nico, a mint green leather moto jacket was not a good choice. 

I'm surprised Kate didn't get on the chef for not wearing pants.  I guess that's not a battle she wants to fight, unlike Hannah who constantly freaked out when Adam wouldn't wear his chef's jacket in front of the guests.  

42 minutes ago, Teddybear said:

Did anyone see Kate and Nico on WWHL?  My concern is actually about Andy--he looked really different and has this bulbous thing on the left side of his neck.   And Nico, a mint green leather moto jacket was not a good choice. 

I'm surprised Kate didn't get on the chef for not wearing pants.  I guess that's not a battle she wants to fight, unlike Hannah who constantly freaked out when Adam wouldn't wear his chef's jacket in front of the guests.  

I agree... 

her is a clip I found on YouTube...

• Love 2
On 9/3/2017 at 6:35 PM, Maharincess said:

Or.  Kate would be appreciative that she had an experienced stew and Bugsy would be appreciative of have a chief stew who isn't a slacker and doesn't whine about her subordinates to the other subordinates. 

Kate wouldn't be dumb enough to enter a primary's suite either.  Or lie about the circumstances.

• Love 11

Ok, watching Kate training some newbies might be fun to watch but a crew of all green deckhands is dangerous.  They don't even have an experienced Bosun to train them.  Nico's admittedly just dabbled in yachting.  Pure craziness.  People could (and looks like they do) get seriously hurt.  

Or.  Kate would be appreciative that she had an experienced stew and Bugsy would be appreciative of have a chief stew who isn't a slacker and doesn't whine about her subordinates to the other subordinates. 

Kate wouldn't be dumb enough to enter a primary's suite either.  Or lie about the circumstances.

Bugs would never be appreciative of any authority figure.  She's a perpetual whiner for sure.  Kate would eat her for breakfast.  I would, however, love to see her complain to Captain Lee.

Speaking of Captain Lee, I noticed that he always has meetings in the crew area (not just this episode but I caught parts of the marathon earlier yesterday) vs. Captain Sandy that had the team meet in the guest salon.  

• Love 3

I can't believe any wealthy person/persons who charter a pleasure yacht and are paying a lot of money for perfection, are going to put up with this group of stupid morons (except for Kate & Capt Lee). This season HAS to be producer shenanigan b.s. 

Edited by chenoa333
Spelling
  • Love 8
28 minutes ago, snarts said:

People could (and looks like they do

Sorry the quote wasn't complete. 

I find this wrong on so many levels. First the boat could be seriously damaged by the newbies working on the deck. Secondly a person could be injured (whether crew or guest) by their negligence. What if there was a fire on board? Who is trained in safety, CPR and medical care? Even insurance wise how can they get away with this...is there an expert hidden in the background just in case? I hope that the preview of an injury was wonky editing. I'd hate to see someone maimed for our entertainment. Honestly, they really only needed one "off" or maiden employee on stew or deck staff for Kate and Nico to have some conflict/fun with. I hope this season doesn't end up disturbing.

This season will test the Captain, Kate and Nico.  I'd rather see them pranking and happy. 

• Love 6

I think this series is quite refreshing so far.  The gang of greenhorns should make for some fun disasters.  So far we don't have any drooling men with raging hormones acting stupid with a bunch of catty women who are all backstabbing each other with an oblivious captain like in that last Med. season.  If I wanted The Young and the Restless I would watch it.

And imagine, a chef who wants to cook what the guests want and seems happy about it!  

Kate and Captain Lee certainly are going to have a tough season.  Watching them break in these newbies has great potential.  It can be easier to train people from scratch than dealing with know-it-alls constantly challenging you.  (ahem, Fugs)

Bottom line is they are in charge and have to get it done to get the tips.

Sad about Niko's brother.  I think he fell or did he jump? I got a little distracted.

• Love 4

Wow, this season is going to be fun. That is one GREEN crew.

I'm kind of feeling for Kate and Nico right now. Kate seems to be handling it better than Nico, though. She's trying to be calm and patient with her stews, but Nico is already losing his shit with Bruno. I know Bruno speaks 3 languages, but English is not his native language and I have to wonder if when under pressure it becomes harder for him to communicate quickly. 

I think Nico is still probably a bit too "green" himself to effectively lead. HE knows what to do, but his leadership and delegation skills aren't where they need to be. Baker will probably be his best deckhand. She seems fairly competent.Bruno is a bumbling mess, but he's very friendly and I think the guests will take to him. Christ brown is....just....Chris Brown. 

But Kate man.....Briana will probably work out alright. She may have no experience, but she seems to be able to take direction and pick up on things quickly. Jen, OTOH, is a mess. From not knowing what outfit to wear to mishearing drink orders and immediately forgetting that ladies are served first....she just seems supremely ditzy. 

I also didn't like her idea of bunking with a dude so she can hog the bathroom and closet. I hope whichever dude she's bunking with is a total prima donna in the bathroom. Maybe he can give her some eyebrow tips, because.....wow. 

The chef seems cool. Pretty focused and chill. I like that he doesn't need to make some super fancy dish, but what he does he does very well. 

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

What if there was a fire on board? Who is trained in safety, CPR and medical care?

All of the crew. Even the moron newbies have to take the course for STCW certification. But that's not a course for basic seamanship, which these greenies desperately need.

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, dsteele said:

All of the crew. Even the moron newbies have to take the course for STCW certification. But that's not a course for basic seamanship, which these greenies desperately need.

I wouldn't bet my life on any of them saving me should there be an actual emergency save Kate (for her cool head), Nico (who probably took these kinds of training seriously) and Captain Lee who has more than likely faced a few circumstances over his years of yachting and could coordinate emergency procedures. 

Agreed about the basic seamanship skills. Even when I went out as crew for a month for my brother, he insisted that I take the Coast Guard test and made me learn navigation should there be unexpected challenges. Dang if I wasn't better than these ppl who don't seem to take this job seriously. I had lunch cooked and served at 1pm, cocktails and appetizers at 6:30 sharp. He usually treated us out to dinner if we were moored or his wife would often cook. Groceries were a walk from the marina and haul back. Most times over a mile. I also was on galley duty, cleaning crew, window washing, line skills (especially helpful when going through locks) and was in charge of emptying the bridge of binoculars, maps, charging walkie talkies etc., only to replace them at 7am so he could do prechecks in the engine room before setting off in the mornings. It was a working vacation but I learned a lot and for a fact I'd be better than the caliber of people they casted for this show. 

Their incompetence will be funny to watch and I suppose they are under controlled circumstances but it's not the real deal. 

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I wouldn't bet my life on any of them saving me should there be an actual emergency

That's for sure. But it's a TV show and though I wouldn't want to be on board with such an inexperienced crew, I'm loving it as a voyeur on dry land. ;-)

I did think the deckhand with limited command of English could cause real problems, though. He speaks well but not knowing the difference between 'fore' and 'aft', among other terms I'm sure, could be a real nightmare when commands are being yelled out during docking or anchoring. Lots of potential for accidents there and I wouldn't be surprised if there is one.

At least they're not on a sailboat, with all the obscure nautical terms -  where the command "Trim the main sheet and make it fast!" does not mean a stew should go to the primary's cabin quickly and tuck the bedding in. LOL

• Love 6

After the last Med season, I swore off this series if it continues to devolve into middle school fighting. So far so good.

Is it possible that the Valor is nothing more than a production set at this point, with hidden crew doing most of the skilled yacht work? Why would a yacht owner entrust such valuable property to unskilled labor? Doesn't insurance underwriting matter? Maybe this yacht is undergoing financial difficulties and the owner needs Bravo's money? Why is the yacht so dirty when our crew arrives?

It's possible we'll see a minimum of activities that require skilled labor, and a lot of cleaning, cooking, drinking, setting up toys, etc. The guests could be in on it, agreeing to a less-than-stellar yachting experience in exchange for being on the show and having a fun experience.

• Love 6

One show in and The Stud of the Sea didn't disappoint with his Lee-isms.  I must've rewound about 5 times from his "idiots" when the cushions blew off to his "the pucker effect is so strong you couldn't get a pin up my ass with a 50lb hammer"  LMAO  There was another one too but I can't remember it.  God he is too freakin funny. 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, snarts said:

Ok, watching Kate training some newbies might be fun to watch but a crew of all green deckhands is dangerous.  They don't even have an experienced Bosun to train them.  Nico's admittedly just dabbled in yachting.  Pure craziness.  People could (and looks like they do) get seriously hurt.  

Bugs would never be appreciative of any authority figure.  She's a perpetual whiner for sure.  Kate would eat her for breakfast.  I would, however, love to see her complain to Captain Lee.

Speaking of Captain Lee, I noticed that he always has meetings in the crew area (not just this episode but I caught parts of the marathon earlier yesterday) vs. Captain Sandy that had the team meet in the guest salon.  

Bugsy didn't have an issue with Captain Sandy.  Or Wes.

Just her boss.  Who, based on editing, wasn't that interested in doing her job as the previous season.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Teddybear said:

He at least looked clean; Adam would greet the guests with a disgusting apron and sweaty hat on, looking like a damn mess.

1 hour ago, dosodog said:

Bugsy didn't have an issue with Captain Sandy.  Or Wes.

Just her boss.

Just the person who had the job she wanted.  If Bugs was second stew to Kate's Chief Stew, I'm sure she'd find plenty to complain about.

• Love 14

While Bruno has issues understanding more than conversational English, both he and Camille-stew (I don't know her name) suffer from the same problem.  They do not actively listen.  They hear it and dismiss it before it has a chance to reach their brain.  That's why the stew heard gin and assumed it was gin and tonic and didn't bother to listen to what was said, and when he was supposed to remove the rope from the hook Bruno just didn't pay attention to Nico.  I'm surprised the guy didn't drown, he does not have strong swimming skills at all.  He swims like I swim, and I can barely swim to save my life.  He's such a newbie that he didn't realize being a deck hand meant actually swimming in the water to perform chores.  We've seen deckhands go in the water to clean the boat at the waterline/below the waterline, the infamous propeller-rope situation, jumping in to help an injured client...tons of situations that involve swimming.  I would not trust him at all with anything at this point.

• Love 13
28 minutes ago, Eater of Worlds said:

They do not actively listen.  They hear it and dismiss it before it has a chance to reach their brain.

So true. Also true for many native English speakers I know.

• Love 5
On 9/3/2017 at 8:35 PM, Maharincess said:

6 hours ago, dosodog said:

10 hours ago, Spotlight said:

Kate's answers on WWHL indicate that Kate does not agree with you @dosodog even after filming with this shit show crew.

Did anyone catch Kate drawing a diagram on how to set a table at the end of the episode? I'm fairly certain that Kate would have been better off with an actual waitress and an actual maid as her stews because each of them understands how to do half of the job. These dopes can't take drink orders, don't know how to serve, can't set a table, and don't really know how to clean and set a room. 

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 7

Dear Bruno,

You should really be a stew.  I learned, at the age of 6, of how to remember left, right, port, starboard, red and green.  The more the letters the more the letters.  I was 6 so her is what is means:

Left = port = red

Right = starboard = green

• Love 5

OHHHH You KNOW there are a ton of actual, competent, seamen (seawomen?) aboard and they do the majority of the work. Once in awhile you can catch a glimpse of them towing in a rope or some such thing. NO ONE would run a yacht with that crew. Plus you need more than the people we see.  Engineers, maintenance guys, etc.,etc.

I was a server for 45 years. I would have been a kick ass stew! Only taking care of, what, 5 to 10 people? Servers serve, often, up to a 100 people a shift on a busy night. 10 people? Heaven. 

Go Kate!! 

• Love 7
20 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Dear Bruno,

You should really be a stew.  I learned, at the age of 6, of how to remember left, right, port, starboard, red and green.  The more the letters the more the letters.  I was 6 so her is what is means:

Left = port = red

Right = starboard = green

Ahoy, matey.  Someone needs to tell them they need to be facing the bow of the boat for that to be correct.  They are that green.

What happens when they are told the old navigation standard, "Red, Right, Return".  Can you imagine?  LOL

"Wait, I thought you said Left is Red."  or, "Isn't the left Blue?  Red states are right. I'm sooo confused."

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, ryebread said:

Ahoy, matey.  Someone needs to tell them they need to be facing the bow of the boat for that to be correct.  They are that green.

What happens when they are told the old navigation standard, "Red, Right, Return".  Can you imagine?  LOL

"Wait, I thought you said Left is Red."  or, "Isn't the left Blue?  Red states are right. I'm sooo confused."

Many boaters are familiar with the saying, Red, Right, Returning, meaning the position of the red buoy should be on the right side of the boat (starboard) whenreturning from sea, or heading upstream or toward the origin or headwaters of a water body.

Here is another saying but I do think my 6 year old adage is the easiest.

The phrase is a reminder in two basic ways:

Side: When on deck and facing the front of the ship, the "port" side is always to the left, just as after dinner port wine is always traditionally passed around the table to the left.

Colour: The "port" light is always red, just as port wine is always red.

Chris Berkeley of Seven Hills, NSW (Australia) sent an e-mail in 2005 with a better way to remember:
"Port is always left at sea, but never left at dinner".

Other simple ways to recall port and starboard sides are:

"StaRboaRd is Right." (ie. 2R=Right)

"The ship's left port!"

We had a boat when I was a kid.  As Detroiters we would go to Boblo Isand and Cedar Point all the time.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 2