Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

27 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

Why did Austin get 3200 taken away when his DD wager was 2800? I’m confused. 

The DD was the fun nun run.  He got that one.  The $1600 clue was the one he added the s to.

23 minutes ago, teebax said:

If you had told me there would be a TS in final during the TOC that was an instaget for me, I'd call you nuts. But that's what happened today, which was fun for me playing at home.

I also got Narcad, Air Supply, Pala Mata, Innocent,  and Julio Iglesias/Willy Nelson. I enjoyed their camaraderie. Good game.  

I got iPhone instantly because of all those "hello moto" commercials about how smart phones haven't changed in 10 years.  And they've been on forever, so I don't think it's a case of something happening too close to the time of taping.

I didn't like the answer "Innocent" because there was more than one Innocent who was Pope.  Although this particular Innocent was the first (and it was also Urban I), Innocent III is far more famous, mainly because of his secular power and interaction with the major political figures of his day, including Richard Lionheart.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Innocent_III

I couldn't believe no one got Narcan. It's been all over the national news as well as local news everywhere.

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I think the confusing part of the FJ clue was "too big".  I guessed iphone just because the dates made sense but also waffled with ipad because of that.  Hard to imagine the original iphone being called too big

I think that was my problem, too.

• Love 1

Well, color me shocked that my cold, dark heart softened and I teared up at Austin's story of the $5,000 loan from his friend. I wasn't bothered by Austin at all today. Yeah, I don't know what happened to me either. Although his missing "transgender" tells me he does not have the same friends I do. As for FJ, my mind worked exactly as Austin's -- go ahead and kill me for that. I thought iPhone, then remembered when iPad came out and there were all those female sanitary pad jokes about it, and felt that was about 10 years ago. So I tanked FJ. I actually liked all three players today, although I still have to root for Alan because how could I have been wrong about Austin through all those episodes!

Mondianyone, I totally caught your *sarcasm* in saying Lisa should have "taken it like a man." That actually cracked me up, and I agree totally with you and with the phrasing. There are tons of examples that the ultra-sensitive now think are OTT and un-PC. I regularly hear some guy "throws like a girl" (because seriously, females DO throw differently -- and I throw "like a girl" too). And this one that's a favorite of mine: "I screamed like a little girl." Because I HAVE screamed like a little girl on more than one occasion, just this year. And I'm no little girl!

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I think the confusing part of the FJ clue was "too big".  I guessed iphone just because the dates made sense but also waffled with ipad because of that.  Hard to imagine the original iphone being called too big

Agree 100% plus I remember iPad criticisms of it being too big and clunky. Oh well.

Edited by Conotocarious

Yay!  #teamalan!  I was actually cheering when they took away $3,200 from Chewbacca and he missed that DD.  Zero looks good on you, Buzzy.  Keep it up.

I got Narcan, tentacles, Jane Fonda, poultice, Matewan, and Willie Nelson/Julio Iglesias.

Wow, I can't believe no one got FJ.  It was an instaget - finally.  They've been yakking about the iPhone X for the 10th anniversary incessantly, it seems to me.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

I feel really dense but if it was the 1600 dollar clue he screwed up why did he get 3200 taken away?

He was credited with getting it right. So he loses that money along with the $1600 for the incorrect response. 

3 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Wow, I can't believe no one got FJ.  It was an instaget - finally.  They've been yakking about the iPhone X for the 10th anniversary incessantly, it seems to me.

That's how I got it too.

• Love 3

I couldn't believe no one got Narcan, given opioids are all the talk these days. And Jane Fonda! I was yelling that one, I must have seen "Coming Home" a zillion dozen times. Plus I love me some Willie Nelson. And finally, that slug category was THE BEST! I got every one of those. Which, I guess, tells you something about me. Good game though. Everyone was having fun, which got the audience a little rowdy at times. Does anyone know what the big laughing was, it was quite loud and all viewers were given was a closeup view of the category board.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, NoloContendere said:

I think the judges made a huge error today. The clue read ‘this 11 letter word is the ‘t’ in LGBTQ.’ Austin guessed transsexual and was ruled incorrect, and I agree with that ruling. However, Alan’s response was ‘transgendered’ which is clearly more than 11 letters. It was only a $400 clue but if I were Buzzy or Austin I’d be pissed if Alan ends up winning by a small margin.

I didn’t realize he added the “ed” and that is a big error. They should remove 400 bucks from Alan’s score tonight. The clue was clear. 

49 minutes ago, NoloContendere said:

I think the judges made a huge error today. The clue read ‘this 11 letter word is the ‘t’ in LGBTQ.’ Austin guessed transsexual and was ruled incorrect, and I agree with that ruling. However, Alan’s response was ‘transgendered’ which is clearly more than 11 letters. It was only a $400 clue but if I were Buzzy or Austin I’d be pissed if Alan ends up winning by a small margin.

If he did say transgendered, that is terrible they didn't catch it, because that is also considered derogatory to transgender people. They  prefer to be called "transgender" and not "transgendered."

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

When the iPhone came out, cellphone manufacturers were apparently having a contest to see who could make the smallest one.  I had a friend who bought one that was about the size of a Zippo cigarette lighter.  It was tiny!  Someone brought an iPhone into his shop and everyone was commenting on how big and clunky it was.

3 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

If he did say transgendered, that is terrible they didn't catch it, because that is also considered derogatory to transgender people. They  prefer to be called "transgender" and not "transgendered."

I heard him say transgender.

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Agree, I didn't hear "transgendered" and I would probably have noticed and been annoyed if he had (since I hate when folks use that word, as if it's something that happened to someone).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Conotocarious said:

I also hollered at Austin when he screwed up transgender. Dude!

Yeah, he's going to get some deserved scolding for that.

29 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Does anyone know what the big laughing was, it was quite loud and all viewers were given was a closeup view of the category board.

I think you're talking about the moment the rickroll lyrics came up.

8 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

When the iPhone came out, cellphone manufacturers were apparently having a contest to see who could make the smallest one.  I had a friend who bought one that was about the size of a Zippo cigarette lighter.  It was tiny!  Someone brought an iPhone into his shop and everyone was commenting on how big and clunky it was.

Yes, phones were getting smaller before they got bigger.

giphy.gif

That's also what I heard.

• Love 5

I thought transsexual could have been an acceptable answer only because I’m not sure there is an official thing the T stands for. I’ve heard several variations. And it’s 11 letters. (But he still shouldn’t have screwed it up. It’s an easy question).

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

I thought transsexual could have been an acceptable answer only because I’m not sure there is an official thing the T stands for. I’ve heard several variations. And it’s 11 letters. (But he still shouldn’t have screwed it up. It’s an easy question).

I wondered if maybe he recently watched Rocky Horror Picture Show, and the word transsexual got stuck in his head. I can't think of any other time I've heard that word in many years.

• Love 3

I wasn't bothered by Austin at all today. Yeah, I don't know what happened to me either. 

I had the same thing happen, but for Buzzy rather than Austin. Somehow he didn't seem as smug as usual to me.

I LOVED how they all did the robot together for the open. 

It was a tough game for me. The only TS i got was Jane Fonda, and though I'm brand loyal to all things Apple I had no clue on FJ. I must be entirely too stressed from work to have missed the connection between X and the 10th anniversary!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

It was a joke.  I thought maybe the ellipses made that clear.  I'm a woman, too.

Nope, sorry. Got the gender, but not the joke. The ellipses might have said joke to me, but the rest of the post did not. Thanks for clarifying. :)

Alan grew on me today, especially when he said he is going to get his master's in creative writing.

5 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

And do what with it? Teach, I guess. 

Open a poem repair shop.

3 hours ago, Bliss said:

Interesting relationship among Buzzy, Alan and Austin - I like the way they're 'friendly' opponents. Hopefully it will be contagious.

It really was enjoyable seeing them be like friends. Or really BE friends.

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I guess I just tune out iPhone or other cell phone news. Anyway, for FJ iPhone did cross my mind, but for some reason I thought it had been around before 2007. Saying "10 years" sounds like a long time, but I guess for me the 2000's seem like yesterday. I dunno. I lose track of time.

I've never heard of Author or Spite & Malice.

I got Jane Fonda, Matewan, and Willie Nelson & Julio Iglesias. I couldn't quite come up with poultice and said potash.

• Love 3
On 11/16/2017 at 0:44 AM, Toothbrush said:
On 11/14/2017 at 5:39 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

Did they cut back on the video clues? I feel like I haven't seen Jimmy and the others in ages.

On 11/14/2017 at 5:51 PM, mojoween said:

I feel like Beetlejuice you just summoned an entire category of video clues.

Are you 2 witches??? And how do I get the winning Powerball numbers? 

Hahaha. Jimmy!

• Love 2

I called Alan to win it all so I'm happy with yesterday's game, but I thought Austin really got screwed on that DD.

I can't remember anything except that the first word was "Olive."  Austin said he didn't understand the "question," and neither did I.  I appreciate the clever wording the writers come up with and the clues within are often the only thing that gives me the answer, but in such an important game and on a daily double, I think they shouldn't be writing something so convoluted that even Austin can't figure out what in the world they're asking for.

• Love 3

I didn’t understand it either and given the answer, I feel like I should have.

I still think Alan will win but I think Austin played well enough to have a decent lead and it’s unfortunate it didn’t work out that way. I was also surprised that Buzzy basically laid an egg.

I wish all TOCs were as goofy and fun as this one. Trebeck doing the robot along with the contestant intros were all-time moments for me. I vastly prefer that playfulness to uncomfortable meltdowns like we witnessed the other night.

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, lurk3000 said:

Also - no one knew Julio Iglesias and Willie Nelson. :(

I said "Willie Nelson and that other guy..."  I like the two of them together, so I was embarrassed that I couldn't pull his name out of the dark recesses of my brain.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 4

I've been thinking about why Austin and Buzzy and other J! contestants are annoying to some people, and the judgments about their antics and personalities.

Backstory: Many years ago, I went through a painful situation of abuse and could either have just given up and become a lifetime victim, or fought the feel/deal/heal battle. I chose the latter. One of my most powerful healing techniques was reading books, and after devouring A Return To Love, I began to study the Course in Miracles. It changed my life profoundly. (I am not a religious person per se... however, I am spiritual.) During the CIM, I learned about distinctions, especially the distinction between our soul and ego. One of the distinctions that changed me was learning how we collapse agreement with acceptance; i.e., we won't agree with something and subsequently don't accept it. It gets really messy. Once I learned this distinction, my life became much simpler... easier... and I discovered that it is possible to not agree with someone/something, yet accept them/it. One analogy to this is not agreeing with another person's choice of religion, yet accepting that they have a perfect right to believe in whatever they choose.

Present day: I may not always agree with my observations of what contestants do (or don't do), yet I accept them as the people they are. I see the 'shining child' in Austin and Buzzy and others. It reminds me of a powerful piece of prose written by Marianne Williamson - it was also part of Nelson Mandela's speech. I'll add a link here in case anyone is interested (and there's a bonus piece titled, The Invitation, by an acquaintance, Oriah Mountain Dreamer - also very profound, especially when you know the backstory of her writing). The key point to MW's prose is:

"Your playing small
Does not serve the world.
There's nothing enlightened about shrinking
So that other people won't feel insecure around you."

I believe there's a distinction between the above and pure arrogance. I prefer to see Buzzy, Austin, and others as "playing big" and congratulate them on their courage and ultimate success.

Here's the link:

https://www.personalgrowthcourses.net/stories/williamson.ourdeepestfear.invitation

• Love 6

I managed to figure out that the "olive" pun meant something, but I couldn't think of a single variety of olive in that moment. When Alex said kalamata I was like "OHHHHHHHHHH!" That is, indeed, the only olive I know, and I couldn't come up with it.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I can't remember anything except that the first word was "Olive."  Austin said he didn't understand the "question," and neither did I.  I appreciate the clever wording the writers come up with and the clues within are often the only thing that gives me the answer, but in such an important game and on a daily double, I think they shouldn't be writing something so convoluted that even Austin can't figure out what in the world they're asking for.

I saw 'Olive' and 'Greek', the category was MAT, so kalamata immediately came to mind.

But what the feck do I know?  I said IPad for FJ.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 9

I couldn't believe no one got Narcan. It's been all over the national news as well as local news everywhere.

This, again.  I got most if not all of Current Events right since I'm a news junkie.

They got SO many wrong, and such low numbers at Final Jeopardy. They have to be thankful that they will at least get the minimum win $$ ($50,000, $100,000, etc. ?)

We've said it ad nauseum, but I can't help it ... start at the top of the category!

Alan was cute when Alex asked him how he was feeling during the previous game and he said something like "I couldn't tell you because I couldn't feel my feet and hands at all."

• Love 8
12 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

>> I wasn't bothered by Austin at all today. Yeah, I don't know what happened to me either. <<

I had the same thing happen, but for Buzzy rather than Austin. Somehow he didn't seem as smug as usual to me.

Just shows we can get used to anything. I felt the same way. I was actually laughing out loud at some of the antics.

I'm one of the few who thinks transsexual should have been accepted. I really don't care what anyone wants to be called. I wanna be called "Toots," but I know nobody would. (I'm just not a "Toots" type of woman.) Transsexual is an accurate label, if you want to label people.

• Love 2

Yes, transsexual should have been accepted.  There is no official definition of LGBTQ.  Like words, acronyms mean what the community of users say they mean.  I bet if you surveyed the public a substantial fraction would say the T stands for transsexual (and they are not wrong, because there is no official definition.)

• Love 1

The word "transsexual," while a bit dated, is not technically wrong (as several folks have pointed out). Jennifer Finney-Boylan uses the word a lot in her memoir about her transition. I think it's more often used to describe a binary shift from male to female (or vice versa), rather than the more inclusive, culturally determined, and spectrum-like "transgender." That might be why transgender has become the more accepted word, because it includes non-binary identifications.

• Love 3

Jeopardy! was pre-empted in our market last night by the pre-game for Football Night in America. ? I see that Buzzy is sitting at zero after the first half.  Could someone please recap the scores for Austin and Alan?  Thamks.

• Love 1

"Life is skittles and life is beer." Due to "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park" I got a J! answer! Thanks, Tom Lehrer! Kind of like when I knew the answer to where the Reclining Buddha is located, thanks to Murray Head. 

Loved the intros. The guys seem to be having a good time, which I enjoy. I know they're all playing to win, but I watch J! to relax, so seeing a bloodthirsty bunch is never fun. 

• Love 6

I didn't watch, because Buzzy and Austin in the same game was more than I could tolerate (and I wasn't home anyway), but I would've gotten Matewan (a friend is a huge John Sayles fan) and Kalamata (I love kalamata olives).  Don't know if I would've come up with IPhone in time.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, SierraMist said:

It was a good game.  I am surprised that Buzzy ended day one at zero. I think Alan should have gotten a BMS for his Barrymore answer.

I've given up on expecting BMS for answers which could really use it. 

3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I called Alan to win it all so I'm happy with yesterday's game, but I thought Austin really got screwed on that DD.

Admittedly I didn't see the show and only read the clue on Fikkle Fame, but I got it right away.  Helps that I eat a lot of Greek food and love kalamata olives, but I didn't find that phrasing convoluted or confusing.

• Love 2

Loved the introductions - wonder if they practiced that.

I like that the game still belongs to anybody.  I was surprised Buzzy ended with 0 but at least he is still in contention.  I am still rooting for Austin but it's okay with me whoever wins. 

Up here in Canada on the news, they always talk about naloxone, not any particular brand name so I didn't get that one. My ts's were Skittles, poultice, tender fender bender, bel paese, and Nelson/Iglesias. Did not get FJ, had no clue at all, since tech stuff isn't large in my life.

eta: Thank you to everyone who responded to my question about Alan air computing or communicating - I will let Mr.Trey know he was wrong:)

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

I got the beer and skittles thing, and don't have any clue how or why I knew that. And transgender is the correct word when used in LBGTQ: Lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender, queer/questioning. Transsexual could be used as an individual word, of course, but to use it as part of LBGTQ is like changing any word in an acronym ... wrong. I've seen players get docked for other incorrect acronyms, like ASCII. LBGTQ is no different.

I really need to go to town today but don't want to miss today's game!

• Love 5

My order of who I’d like to win is Austin, Alan and Buzzy. But I’d be perfectly fine with a Buzzy win. I really don’t dislike any of them. I just love Austin although Alan doing the robot won him major points from me. I just don’t love the twitchy anxiety. But funny, more relaxed Alan is a big plus.

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 3

I was able to get iPhone due to two friends recently having an argument about Samsung vs. iPhone which led to me paying attention to a commercial put out by Samsung that showcases a longtime iPhone user making the shift. This commercial includes years for various smartphone launches/milestones (such as water resistance), so the 2007 was recognizable to me.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I remember the craze for the small phones and it did go in that direction for awhile, but I thought it had reversed by the time the iphone came out.  I believe the blackberries and similar phones were out at the time that were about the size of the first iphone

It reminds me though of a scene in Frasier where Niles takes out his phone and its this TEENY TINY little thing that is about the size of a thumbtack or something, so small he can hardly dial on it.  Great sight gag

• Love 1

Man I hate Buzzy. Ok ok I STRONGLY DISLIKE Buzzy. In the first round was he DD hunting just so Austin wouldn't get it? Getting the DD on the second question (I think) kind of killed that round for me.

• Love 3

There is no official definition of LGBTQ. 

You could argue that there is one for the purposes of Jeopardy, because the show has official procedures, sources, and rules. Unfortunately the public doesn't seem to be privy to all of that information. And of course the show sometimes makes mistakes. But let's say Merriam-Webster, for example, is the One Dictionary to Rule Them All. It has definitions for both LGBT and LGBTQ that do not include transsexual, so "transsexual" would be incorrect. Perhaps their procedure is to consult three specific dictionaries, but none included transsexual in the definition. I don't know the method to the madness but generally trust that there is one.

• Love 3