Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

My FJ guess was Death of a Salesman. I didn't think that was a good guess at all because, 1) there was already a woman character in the play, and 2) I didn't think Arthur Miller had died when the all-female version was produced and the clue referenced the playwright's estate. 

• Love 1

I'm with Dr. Spaceman, I'd love a round-the-world trip too, and be able to take/ship my car with me. If Austin had just said something similar to that instead of going into extreme detail complete with arm gestures, I wouldn't have judged him such a douche ... at least for that. He's still a douche and an asshat. I'm sort of hoping for an Alan win today, although I'd be fine with whomever, as long as that person goes on to win the entire tournament. And yes, I'm a feminist and an extreme sexist ... so depressing only two women qualified and now both are gone (not counting Cindy, RIP). I do acknowledge the difference between male and female humans. My brain is no longer quick enough to compete on this show, Example: I have an art degree and could picture a Chagall painting in detail for that clue, but couldn't come up with his name. Instead, I shouted "That Russian guy!" at my teevee.

I don't think even the most lenient judges would let that one pass. "Kit Carson!"

• Love 6

Well, hell.  At least my Thursday and Friday nights are now free.

I will confess, though, to experiencing a very slight softening regarding Buzzy when he admitted he didn't understand that numbers category.

20 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Mr. Author said Austin wouldn't have enough $$ to buy the car and go round the world. I reminded Mr. Author that Austin had won over $300,000!

What kind of car did he say he wanted?  'Cause there are cars out there which cost well over $300,000.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Fex said:

I thought this game was super hard! I felt like I didn't know anything.

However, I said Waiting for Godot instantly for FJ, even though I've never seen or read it, and I didn't think I knew anything about it. There must be some knowledge about it buried deep in my brain! I don't even know which part of the clue made me say it.

Yes, this game did seem more difficult than the previous ones. 

I did not, however, get Waiting for Godot, despite it being the centerpiece of one of my favorite "dumb customer" stories from my days at Borders in Newark, Delaware.  (A teenager, needing it for his reading list, asked for "Waiting for Go Dot", and while I politely corrected him and got him a copy, inside I was thinking "Is that anything like waiting for DelDot?".  I think you'd have to be familiar with New Castle County to think that was funny, but since I generally only repeated it to co-workers, we thought it was hi-larious. )

• Love 6
17 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Yeah, the ripping apart of every move a contestant makes is enough to make me not want to even audition. If I were competing for money on national television, I would be nervous, and look it. It requires incredible self-control to just "not do" a nervous tic in front of millions of viewers, under mental pressure.

Luckily I was on the show before I found message boards.  Otherwise I probably would never have taken the test.  'Cause I'm sure my first answer, a really stupid one caused by nerves, was rightfully ridiculed all across the internet.

16 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I'll take Who Looked Like a Total Douche and Why for $2,000, Alex - Who is Buzzy for patting himself on the back when he won?

"Austin won it, of course" and Buzzy as "Mr. Personality".  STFU, Alex. 

Wow, Lisa really imploded.  Bye, Jason, I'll miss you.

I got McCloud, Snowy River, plus fours, Jay Rockefeller, Whitefish, and Ruth (missed DD).

Once again I was clueless for FJ.

I am deeply ashamed to have missed McCloud, because my family watched it religiously when it was on.  I also didn't know Jay Rockefeller, but I did get the others.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Didn't Austin already accomplish that?  As I recall, Alex mentioned editing it out.

Yes, I had forgotten about that. And it was even a joke in the Toothbrush household about how that would be me. 

24 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

What kind of car did he say he wanted?  'Cause there are cars out there which cost well over $300,000.

IIRC it was a 1990 or 1991 Mercedes station wagon, but I cannot remember the model #. 

15 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Luckily I was on the show before I found message boards.  Otherwise I probably would never have taken the test.  'Cause I'm sure my first answer, a really stupid one caused by nerves, was rightfully ridiculed all across the internet.

You can't just leave us hanging like that! 

• Love 4

When I shouted "Snowy!" at my teevee for that TS, my dog named Snowy said "What?" I also saw the movie, The Man From Snowy River, multiple times. Questions about Snowy River have been on Jeopardy before. However, I tanked on FJ, didn't have a clue. And the category was SO EASY! I would have bet my entire bank that I would know it. Then it'd be bye bye Saber. "See ya, don't wanna be ya."

Yes, proserpina65, do tell ...

• Love 5

Mr. Author said Austin wouldn't have enough $$ to buy the car and go round the world. I reminded Mr. Author that Austin had won over $300,000!

Aaannddd...Jalopnik to the rescue again!

https://jalopnik.com/mapping-the-jeopardy-dudes-road-trip-around-the-world-1820444383

I have to admit that I did warm a bit toward Buzzy because he actually knew the Meet Your Automaker answers. Most of the time car categories are met with blank stares or comical answers. 

• Love 3

Two questions about Austin's proposed trip (then we can return to our usual nonsense).  1.  Why New York plates (other than the fact that he is from NY?)  2.  Why a 1991 MB?  What is special about that year and model?

• Love 1

Okay, the category was The Ig Nobel Prize, and the clue was: An Aussie woman's study of this 3-letter word & the alphabetical order problems it creates won a literature award

I rang in without thinking and blurted out "and" - the correct answer was, of course, "the".  As someone who'd worked in both a library and a bookstore, I'd come across that exact problem.  D'oh!  In my defense, neither Phil nor reigning champ Carl got it either.

So I have sympathy for Lisa, who was clearly experiencing some serious panic issues.

Oh, and I probably swayed back and forth, since I tend to shift my weight from foot to foot if I have to stand for very long.  And I told a cat story for my interview bit; I had ones I thought were more interesting, but that's the one Alex picked.  But hopefully I didn't molest the buzzer too much, lol.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 10

I know Saber, I know I have the same problem. I totally know the answer, in fact for one thing I had just mentioned the famous person the day before, Patti Lupone, and was talking about the play War Paint, but I could not think of the name Patti Lupone fast enough. Often when this happens, I pause the TV, and give myself time to answer. I took me at least 3 minutes to find Patti Lupone in my brain. And I was JUST talking about her! I did scream Chagall though in time!

• Love 2

Lisa literally fell apart. The categories were rough and the guys were all over the buzzers. She was simply outplayed. And I feel for her. BUT, the body language that indicated she was giving up and the slouching over the podium while Alex spoke with her over the credits were a bit over the top. She strikes me as one of those super competitive perfectionist types who can't accept defeat graciously. She won big during the season and she made it to the semi-finals in the TOC. She went home with ten grand. She has nothing to be ashamed of, and I wished she had gone out with her head held high and applause for the winner. 

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, Babalooie said:

The Battle of the Precocious.

I read that first as "The Battle of the Precious" - also seems to suit:)  I do like them both though and have enjoyed seeing them again.

I am predicting Alan for the win tonight - just speculation. If he is the winner I can see him taking the whole ToC since he is so fast on the buzzer.

• Love 5

LOL at The Battle of the Precious because I imagine Gollum crawling around. I never get tired of "My precious ..." My bet is whomever wins today is put between Austin and Buzzy. Although does the one with the most money get the first "champion" position? If that's so, then I'm not betting. Hpmc, I'm thinking your evaluation of Lisa and her deteriorating attitude could be correct. As I compete in a sport in a very public venue, I've learned to always smile when I lose, congratulate the winner and leave the ring with a smile on my face. It's only when I get back to my vehicle that I can "let down" and feel like cr*p.

Gah, sorry Mpmec, for spelling you incorrectly. "I'll take rude typos for 1000, Alex."

• Love 2

No spoilers for today's game, but I will say that when they showed Austin and Buzzy introducing themselves, my husband was like "ugh, get a load of these fuckin' HIPSTERS," so he is decidedly Team Whoever Else Is Playing :-P I told him he is in good company on these boards, LOL

• Love 5
7 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I guessed Ruth since that was the only book of the bible named for a woman that I knew. Now I know Esther. I also got "3 PM" because I randomly just learned it from watching Slasher Season 2 on Netflix. Don't judge me.

I thoughts 3 pm was commonly known as the time Jesus supposedly died. At least, that's what I was taught from childhood ;) Apparently it's not as widely known as I thought! Just as well, since it's probably +++inaccurate, given the time period.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I thoughts 3 pm was commonly known as the time Jesus supposedly died. At least, that's what I was taught from childhood ;) Apparently it's not as widely known as I thought! Just as well, since it's probably +++inaccurate, given the time period.

I randomly learned about the 3 PM thing from watching The Exorcism of Emily Rose. I think about it every time I watch the 3 PM showing of Dr. Phil, heh.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Two questions about Austin's proposed trip (then we can return to our usual nonsense).  1.  Why New York plates (other than the fact that he is from NY?) 

No one who's a native NYer would say anything that stupid.  NY plates can get you in more trouble than they're worth, the assumption being that if you're from NY, you need to be cut down to size (and thank you for making this seem to be true, Austin, wherever you're really from).  But if you're a poser with something to prove, I guess that's the flag you need to fly. 

I like that Buzzy's been making fun of him (although Buzzy's not in the best position to do so), and I really like that he apologized for talking over Alex.  So I guess I'm still rooting for the lesser of two he-vils (since there aren't any she-vils left).

• Love 5

Alan is like greased lighning.  I'm picking him to win it all.

If he were right on that final DD (I was yelling Knights Templar! at the TV) he would have iced the runaway and not had to answer any more.  Which is impressive against someone as fast as Pranjal.

It worked out for Alan anyway, so all's good.

• Love 6

OMG Pranjal was driving me nuts. Alan was cute trying to calculate how far ahead he was. I liked Tim's FJ answer. It must be frustrating when you can't ring in.

My gets were Reagan, the DD of Massachusetts, auxiliary, abruptly, Joan Allen (teaching The Crucible this bloack and we just watched the movie), Hoover, guitar, and the Templar DD. 

I didn't know FJ, so I'll have to research Petain. 

• Love 8

This will be the most annoying TOC ever.  I guess I'll have to root for Alan over the two Austins.

I did rather like the reasons that Pranjal named his cat Gray Lady after the New York Times, though.

I had absolutely no clue for FJ, and still don't, even after hearing the correct response. 

The only TS I wrote down were Reagan and auxiliary.  I sort of stopped giving 100% of my attention to the game after those.

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, teebax said:

OMG Pranjal was driving me nuts. Alan was cute trying to calculate how far ahead he was. I liked Tim's FJ answer. It must be frustrating when you can't ring in.

My gets were Reagan, the DD of Massachusetts, auxiliary, abruptly, Joan Allen (teaching The Crucible this bloack and we just watched the movie), Hoover, guitar, and the Templar DD. 

I didn't know FJ, so I'll have to research Petain. 

He took it much better than last night's third place finisher. 

I remember Marshal Petain from my late European history teacher talking about how he went from hero in WWI to a traitor. 

Got all those except Joan Allen (I said Julia Stiles instead). I'm from Massachusetts so I better have known that. Toll House morsels are delicious. 

• Love 2

As for Lisa, she let people see her sweat, something that deodorant commercial tell you to never let happen. Instead of staying graceful, she let us all know she was tanking, which was surprising for someone who had made it that far. 

Exactly.

It's called anxiety and panic.  Hopefully it never happens to you.

Actually it does. Not in the context of trivia games, but to elaborate would be off topic.

• Love 6

We had a Reagan biography called Dutch in my house. What an easy question. The book was terrible.

i thought Pranjal’s cat story was cute. I also liked Tim and felt bad that he was basically a non factor. 

I am resigned to Alan winning it all. It’s not like I dislike him per se but he’s just not my style. And he looks like a kid.

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

This will be the most annoying TOC ever.  I guess I'll have to root for Alan over the two Austins.

I did rather like the reasons that Pranjal named his cat Gray Lady after the New York Times, though.

I had absolutely no clue for FJ, and still don't, even after hearing the correct response. 

20 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Can't wait to watch Austin and Buzzy try to out douche each other for the next two days.  <insert eye roll>

Go Alan!  

I got Ronald Reagan, auxiliary, dropped, guitar, and the Knights Templar (missed DD).

I'm batting 1000 in not knowing FJ.  Off to research Marshal Petain.

• Love 6

Yaaaaay Alan! I find his awkwardness endearing. And good for Tim for having a sense of humor and going out gracefully.

For TS I got auxiliary, Joan Allen, Herbert Hoover, and guitar. No clue on FJ but I looked it up immediately afterward. #myJeopardyeducation

• Love 4

Well, the nightmare came true.  All I can say is that, as an elementary teacher, if I could have advised producers during filming, I would have advised them to place Alan between the two gifted mischiefmakers during the finals for the championship.  Too late now.

AFTERTHOUGHT:  Buzzy and Austin would be the ones who were irritating and distracting in class, but the ones that I would laugh about when I got home.

Edited by Babalooie
...an afterthought.
  • Love 8

One thing I really like about Alan is that he actually seems happy and excited to be there.  Nothing bored or null of ennui with him.  He also seems like someone I would like to know in real life.  I kind of am entertained by Buzzy (NOT Austin), but I think he would be annoying in real life.  

• Love 11

ClareWalks, your husband is a keeper. If you don't want to keep him, I will. I find Alan looking like a tween and being exceedingly nervous and writing his computations in the air to be endearing. He's like Bizarro Austin. Alan for the win. And Tim gets my Most Gracious Loser Award. How "like a champion" he went out.

• Love 11
23 hours ago, Sprockets said:

Why would another person's obvious distress fill you with joy?  

I felt so sorry for her.  Poor thing, to care so much.  

Sorry, dry-eyed here...didn't like her during her initial run and still don't. I'll take 10 of Austin and Buzzy...each...over one like Lisa with her fake Taylor Swift-ish "Me??? Really???" routine.

Super happy with (and for) all three finalists!

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Hpmec said:

Lisa literally fell apart. The categories were rough and the guys were all over the buzzers. She was simply outplayed. And I feel for her. BUT, the body language that indicated she was giving up and the slouching over the podium while Alex spoke with her over the credits were a bit over the top. She strikes me as one of those super competitive perfectionist types who can't accept defeat graciously. She won big during the season and she made it to the semi-finals in the TOC. She went home with ten grand. She has nothing to be ashamed of, and I wished she had gone out with her head held high and applause for the winner. 

There is now a video on Youtube showing her mouthing BS at the end.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

ClareWalks, your husband is a keeper. If you don't want to keep him, I will. I find Alan looking like a tween and being exceedingly nervous and writing his computations in the air to be endearing. He's like Bizarro Austin. Alan for the win. And Tim gets my Most Gracious Loser Award. How "like a champion" he went out.

I liked Tim too! I remember thinking he was a total weirdo in his original run, but he seems like a good guy, and a friend of mine went to school with him and can confirm. Alan is adorkable. It's the battle of the Clean Hipster vs Dirty Hipster vs Geeky Asian, and I am rooting for the Geeky Asian this time :)

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Calpurnia99, do you have a link for that? I've been searching YouTube and can't find it. I want to relive the moment!

In case Calpurnia99 is busy, I just happened to have gone over to watch

• Love 1
1 hour ago, calpurnia99 said:

There is now a video on Youtube showing her mouthing BS at the end.

I don't get it. Why would she say bullshit? Was there a ruling against one of her answers? 

As for tonight's show, I saw bits and pieces of the very beginning, but I think I would have gotten 'Joan Allen' and 'dropped' (in the giraffe category). For the TSs I really did get, there was only auxiliary, plus the DD of Massachusetts.

I had no clue for FJ. When the answer was revealed, I still am in the dark. Never heard of Petain. I guess I need to google.

Loved Pranjal's cat story.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, peeayebee said:
2 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

I don't get it. Why would she say bullshit? Was there a ruling against one of her answers? 

I think it was because Alex was saying she was still in it, and she disagreed.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Two questions about Austin's proposed trip (then we can return to our usual nonsense).  1.  Why New York plates (other than the fact that he is from NY?)  2.  Why a 1991 MB?  What is special about that year and model?

1. Because that's enough reason.

2. I read that 1991 is the last year that Mercedes made really high quality and reliable automobiles. That wagon (W124?) is a tank and will last forever if you care for it properly. Many afficionados will tell you that post-1991 Mercedes are crap.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

No one who's a native NYer would say anything that stupid.  NY plates can get you in more trouble than they're worth, the assumption being that if you're from NY, you need to be cut down to size (and thank you for making this seem to be true, Austin, wherever you're really from).  But if you're a poser with something to prove, I guess that's the flag you need to fly.

I disagree with this completely. Not posing, nothing to prove. Not even a flag to fly or a statement. Just a simple indication of where you're from. In my experience you get more respect from the locals yokels when you've got NY plates on your car. Not trying to be gangsta or anything like that. It's just a fact.

Edited by Tabasco Cat
  • Love 1

Just googled. Now I know who Petain is (I did think it probably had something to do with WWII) but before now -never heard of him. I did know Reagan and auxiliary. Could visualize Joan Allen's face but couldn't come up with her name. Alan's adorable-I don't dislike any of them but I'll be rooting for him.   

• Love 1