Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

16 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

W.S. Gilbert = Words

A. Sullivan =  Music

The trick is remembering whose first name is William, so you can relate W = William, Words.

That is so freaking helpful! Thank you!!!

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, opus said:

FJ was an instaget, and also saddening, because Len Wein just passed away on September 10.

I will admit, that while I also thought FJ was an instaget, my mother, who loves Wolverine and has seen all the movies, said "Badger. Those animals are tough"! A comment she repeated when one of the contestants also said badger.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, opus said:

FJ was an instaget, and also saddening, because Len Wein just passed away on September 10.

Aw, that is sad. Glad he is getting some recognition on Jeopardy tonight! I had never heard of him, before. FJ was an instaget for me, too.

There was a TS that I was completely shocked by, and I already can't remember what it was. In a category where part of it was quotation marks ("you know what that means"), I think.

So frustrating when they don't clear the board!!!!

• Love 1

I've never heard of Len Wein, and don't read comic books, but FJ was still an instaget for me. 

I'm glad they gave end woman "cable" because that's what I said, too.  I also got Limerick Day, Ovid, House of Cards and Spanish Armada.  All of which were kind of surprising as TS -- especially Spanish Armada.  They showed a bloody picture of it!  No idea how I knew who Frank Underwood is, though, since I've never seen House of Cards.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, AuntieL said:

Nobody expected the Spanish Armada? Sorry, couldn't resist. 

That was the one that shocked me! It seemed so obvious! It was about ships, there was a picture, and the category gave them "SPAN"!

• Love 8

I've never watched House of Cards either but I faithfully read Entertainment Weekly so that one was pretty easy.

I didn't even understand the wording of FJ but knew it immediately.  It's hard for me to understand how people didn't get it but I guess if you don't like that type of movie?  Because I actually don't read comics but I watch Comic Book Men and have seen a few X-Men movies so I absolutely know who Wolverine is.

• Love 3

A German category!!!! I They finally heard my cries!

The second round took forever. So frustrating. 

I got Daylight Saving Time,  Ovid, House of Cards, and Spanish Armada. I whiffed on FJ. I'm not a comic book fan, but I should've gotten it right. 

• Love 6

I only got Ovid, Spanish Armada, and telegraph cable.  I thought Diane said telephone, and then later tacked on cable.

Yes, saying Thom was an OB/GYN doctor (twice!) was redundant.  I liked his swimming from Alcatraz story.

I would have bet nothing on FJ, for good reason.  I know less than nothing about comics.  I guessed the Tasmanian Devil.

3 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

So (ha!) who do we think the big Hollywood actress in Justin's story was? I am thinking Scarlett Johansson or Julia Roberts. 

I'm thinking Glenn Close.

• Love 6

I got the New World Symphony, Ovid and the Spanish Armada. As a naive German speaker, I was thrilled to see the German category. From a purely selfish standpoint I was hoping Thom would win, he was kind of cute. 

Didn't know FJ. Superman & Archie are the only comics I know.

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:53 PM, peeayebee said:

Ah, so THAT'S why I couldn't get Alberta out of my head during FJ. I was working backwards, trying to come up with the state from the presumption that Alberta was the province mentioned.

I loved Betsy's description of the trout in the lake (or river?) feeling like a mattress of fish. Nice visual. Yucky, but nice.

For TSs I got cutthroat, tree hugging, Des Moines, and Mrs. Malaprop, as well as Elizabeth Dole for the DD. For the "saucy dance" clue, I thought they were going for something punny, like salsa or... soy. You know, that crazy soy dance.

I don't think I've ever heard of Black Wednesday.

I need to learn of Gilbert & Sullivan who writes the music and who the libretto.

I have never heard it called "black Wednesday", but the its a big night at bars as kids from college come home for Thanksgiving and go out to see friends from high school, apparentely

I never really cared much for people from my high school even at the time, so never meant much to me

I knew FJ. 

I know they were just guessing, but a comic superhero named the Weasel is amusing. 

We do have an "ant man", so who knows what they might come up with

Also glad they mentioned the Bryan Cranston quote from Breaking Bad, that is the greatest scene of the whole series.  One of the great speeches in TV history, but they worded it a bit weird, should have gone with the iconic "I am the one who knocks" from the speech

• Love 2

Did FJ mention superhero? If so, I missed that and guessed Tasmanian Devil. I really didn't think it was created for a comic book, however, but for cartoons. Anyway, I didn't have another guess.

5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

W.S. Gilbert = Words

A. Sullivan =  Music

The trick is remembering whose first name is William, so you can relate W = William, Words.

Thanks, but you've prompted me to come up with one of my own: Gilbert & Sullivan = Words & Music. You always say each of those phrases in that order, or at least I do, so now I'll remember. Again, thanks.

I got Ovid, House of Cards, and the Spanish Armada.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

Spanish Armada

Seriously. That's a $1200 clue?! Picture of a fleet of ships, 30,000 men aboard, 16th century, sailing towards England. "SPAN" is in the name. How many hints do you need here?

Today was the time for the US state capital city of Alberta. 

3 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Did FJ mention superhero? If so, I missed that and guessed Tasmanian Devil. I really didn't think it was created for a comic book, however, but for cartoons. Anyway, I didn't have another guess.

Not superhero, just a character. Sadly, Len Wein, the creator of Wolverine and other characters passed away a couple of weeks ago. His wife Christine was a 4 day Jeopardy! champion in 2009..

• Love 3

I ran the music & German categories, and am glad that Alex again restrained himself from extraneous accents. 

TS: Spanish Armada & telegraph cable (until it was no longer a TS). I have been doing really poorly lately. 

Blind guessed FJ. Even though I really only know about Wolverine because of hot Hugh Jackman, I am sorry to hear that his creator recently died

5 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I felt "OB/GYN doctor" was a rather redundant job title.

Definitely. My husband is a pediatrician, not a pediatrician doctor. 

• Love 3

Tasmanian Devil for me too, although I didn't think he was in a comic book, just Bugs Bunny cartoons.

I thought the exact same thing but couldn't think of any comic book animals, just superheroes. Wolverine never crossed my mind.

Add me to the list of those dumbfounded by the Spanish Armada TS.

I was impressed by the 3rd contestant (Diane? Denise?) and wish she had pulled off the win. On a more shallow tip, I thought Thom was handsome.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I was impressed by the 3rd contestant (Diane? Denise?) and wish she had pulled off the win. On a more shallow tip, I thought Thom was handsome.

6 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

I thought she had a lovely speaking voice.

Yes to all. The only complaint I had about Diane was that she took a smidge too long to select the next clue/category, but that could have been nerves.  

• Love 4
8 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Also glad they mentioned the Bryan Cranston quote from Breaking Bad, that is the greatest scene of the whole series.  One of the great speeches in TV history, but they worded it a bit weird, should have gone with the iconic "I am the one who knocks" from the speech

I think they wanted a bit that had Skyler's name in it, to give more of a clue to the show.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

I thought she had a lovely speaking voice.

Yes, and she pronounced the French and German words so well that Alex didn't feel compelled to repeat them in his "here's the correct way to say them" tone.

I knew limerick, the New World Symphony, Ovid, House of Cards, and Spanish Armada. I always remember the latter not from history classes but from a "color by numbers" drawing I did as a kid, showing the burning of the Armada. I got FJ on a total guess. It was almost an asset not to know too much about comic book heroes; otherwise I might have thought of Badger or some other animal giving his name to a more obscure character than Wolverine.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Well, it might've been OB/GYN Nurse Practitioner or OB/GYN Practice Manager.  I've always called 'em GYNOBs, because we're women first, some are mothers later.

It could have been, but I think "doctor" is the "OB/GYN" default, so specification only becomes necessary if one is not a medical doctor. Also, they are both nouns. It'd be like saying cardiologist doctor.

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

It doesn't stop them with other accents.

LOL. Good point. The French wouldn't bother me if it were once in a while, but it's all the time.

It probably wouldn't bother me if I spoke a lick of it, but I was stationed in Germany and studied German in school. I'm way more comfortable with German and with Germanic languages.

ETA: I didn't mean to imply French people bother me; I want to clarify I meant the amount of French on Jeopardy bothers me. Oy....

Edited by teebax
Ensure I don't sound like a jerk
  • Love 3

When the FJ category came up, I immediately shouted "Walt Whitman!"  Imagine my (non) surprise when that turned out to be correct.

I also shouted "shoulder!" at Betsy, but I guess she didn't hear me.  She should have at least left herself enough to play in FJ. 

Other TS/missed DDs I got include Sleeping Beauty, lizard, Judge Roy Bean, geographic center, and Nippon.

• Love 7

Not too many TS's tonight. I got Sleeping Beauty, lizard and Judge Roy Bean. When FJ came up, I just knew it had to be Walt Whitman, the go-to answer for 19 th century poetry. 

What a way for Betsy to go out. I too was yelling "shoulder!" to my TV. 

The new champ is very knowledgeable but seems a tad pretentious. He may give Alex a run for his money on the accent, though. His pronunciation of Khayyam threw Alex for second there. 

• Love 5

Must be tough for Alex and his accents to have a native speaker of Russian and many Arabics there.

I was really hoping for Freddie Mercury to show up in the Zanzibar category.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 6

He may give Alex a run for his money on the accent, though. His pronunciation of Khayyam threw Alex for second there. 

And I love Ivan for it. Alex only made himself look silly trying to correct Ivan with an incorrect (or Westernized) pronunciation. Shut up, Alex.

I got the lizard, Kevin Hart, and Nippon TS and the Sleeping Beauty DD. I don't know much poetry so I had no clue on FJ. 

• Love 6

In the regular game, I only got Nippon, Bloody Caesar, and the missed DD of "shoulder". Sad way for Betsy's run to end. But I like Ivan and don't find him pretentious--just exceptionally well traveled and educated. He reminded me a bit of a taller and younger Woody Allen.

I figured out FJ but didn't think the game had become so predictable that one could call Whitman before seeing the clue. The category didn't say "American Poets" or "19th Century Poets."

• Love 2

That was a pretty good game, even though Betsy flamed out pretty spectacularly. How did she miss shoulder with so many of us shouting it at her? ;-) I was really hoping she would be season 34's first 5-day champion. Lauren seemed unstoppable for a while in DJ, but I am glad Ivan won. He's smart, pleasant, dapper, and starts at the top of categories, even if he jumps around the board a bit.  

TS I got were geographic center, Kevin Hart (timely, but not in a good way), benchmark, and the missed DD of shoulder. FJ was an instaget.

• Love 5
On 9/22/2017 at 11:33 AM, ClareWalks said:

It could have been, but I think "doctor" is the "OB/GYN" default, so specification only becomes necessary if one is not a medical doctor. Also, they are both nouns. It'd be like saying cardiologist doctor.

Or Women Authors.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ChicagoCita said:

I have no idea what Alex was thinking when he chided the middle contestant for being shy about answering "Sex on the Beach" because (he brought up) she plays on a women's rugby team. It was a true WTF moment.

A lot of what he says are WTF moments, especially in the beginning of shows when he talks about the returning champ.  He often says something to the effect, "They played a pretty shitty game but lucked out because they were the only one to get FJ".  Sometimes it's mindboggling.

I liked that the contestant told him she played the position of hooker.  That kind of shut him up.

• Love 14