Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got FJ from the category alone! I jokingly shouted Sgt Pepper when the category was given. Then when the clue was shown, I doubted myself a little but stuck with it. I'm on team JusticeForWilbur. I think if he had only written Sgt. Pepper, then that would indicate he didn't know the full title of the album. The almost whole name shows he simply ran out of time.
There seemed to be a lot of TS's this game, can't remember all of them though. I know I got the DD miss Wright Brothers, based on the year. 

• Love 4

Poor Wilbur! Eric didn't annoy me too much yesterday, but today it seemed to take him forever  to pick the next clue. I like Kiana so far.

TS I got were The Torah; installation (missed DD that wasn't really missed), and the Wright Brothers (missed DD). 

FJ was an "INSTA" (heh) get, & I think I would have been able to write the complete title in the 30 seconds allowed. 

Thanks for the Cyrillic translation and the Austin video. 

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I've seen FJ written as scrawls that have to be interpreted for Alex by the writer. But heck, Today Alex couldn't even decipher "The Wall," which was obvious to me.

I'm thinking that Alex isn't familiar with that particular classic album and thought there was more to the title. 

• Love 5

#JusticeforWilbur indeed! It was an instaget for me but only because coincidentally last week, to settle a bet with a fellow music nerd, I Googled "best James Taylor album" and came upon the fact that Sgt. Pepper's is widely considered to be the greatest album ever. I'm not sure I would have come up with it otherwise. I would definitely choose the Beatles but maybe the White Album instead. Anyway, even as an instaget I don't think I would have been able to write Sgt Pepper's full name in time. I think they should invite Wilbur back to play another game and added that plea to the uproar on Twitter.

The Wall was a pretty strange guess.  I guess he really likes Pink Floyd.  We do, too, but not delusionally so.

I thought the same thing. I love Pink Floyd but The Wall is definitely too dark to be considered the greatest of all time.

For TS I got Torah and Netherlands, and the missed DD installation. Picture clues for Pope Francis and Qaddafi? *Sigh*

That Cyrillic translation was fun - thanks for sharing!

• Love 6

I have terrible handwriting unless I write slowly. Even with an instaget, I think I would struggle getting a mostly legible Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band in time. I felt for Wilbur and not just because he looked so dapper! (I don’t think male contestants need to wear suits, but his was lovely.)

I did have to root for the winner early on because of her academic interests though. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

That makes the whole thing sound a lot smarter than it was, but thank you.  It's not like I got a conk on the head and woke up knowing Russian--it was a letter-for-letter substitution from English.  I just figured it had to say something.  I knew the counterparts of maybe two of the Cyrillic letters, and then I looked for letter and word patterns.  It helped that the two final words were capitalized with letters that looked like D's, and then I kind of worked it out from that.  This sounds like it took all night, but it really took only a minute or so.  It helps to be the kind of person who sees an odd word or name and immediately checks to see if it spells something backwards.  I was born too late for Bletchley Park, I guess.  ;o)

I thought it said "Drink more Ovaltine." J/k

• Love 16
7 hours ago, Fex said:

But AAARRRGGHHH there were so many clues left on the board. I think 5! We only got to see one of the Netflix and Spell categories. Disappointing.

I think we can blame the 20/20 product placement category in the first round for that. I assume Jeopardy was contractually required to show all five of those clues.

I also feel bad for Wilbur. I would have liked to see him play more games.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I thought the same thing. I love Pink Floyd but The Wall is definitely too dark to be considered the greatest of all time.

Of course, what's considered greatest varies (did the clue refer to a specific list - ie Billboard?). I wouldn't have chosen The Wall, but I can understand why Pink Floyd fans would think so.  Sgt. Pepper also isn't on my personal list. But I can't say as I have a particular album I consider the greatest of all time. I also don't have a favorite color, book, etc. - I just can't commit to one thing being the best. Too many choices. :)

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Of course, what's considered greatest varies (did the clue refer to a specific list - ie Billboard?)

The clue was "Hailed as the “Greatest Album of All Time”, in 2017 it returned to the top of the charts 50 years after its first release."

While there may be differences of opinion on what is the greatest album, the second part of the clue, returning to the top of the charts 50 years later, would have narrowed it down significantly.

BTW, I missed it last night, but I see that Wilbur is from Patchogue, NY - he's a Long Islander like me! I've been to and through Patchogue a million times.  I wish he were sticking around for a bit.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

While there may be differences of opinion on what is the greatest album, the second part of the clue, returning to the top of the charts 50 years later, would have narrowed it down significantly.

That's why I thought "The Wall", I'm not even a Pink Floyd fan, I was focused on the reason why an album would have a resurgence of sales 50 years later.  I still don't know why SPLHC returned to the charts.

Was there a reason given why the category Truuue had so many U's in it?

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

It also didn't come out in 1967.

I was just about to say the same thing.  No way it was The Wall, which came out in 1979. (Another Brick in the Wall was huge when I was in high school.)    I briefly toyed with Let It Be, but knew that was too late, too, so I guessed the White Album.  

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Kerri Okie said:

I was just about to say the same thing.  No way it was The Wall, which came out in 1979. (Another Brick in the Wall was huge when I was in high school.)    I briefly toyed with Let It Be, but knew that was too late, too, so I guessed the White Album.  

I went with the White Album too. My husband got Sgt. Pepper.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, dcalley said:

I think we can blame the 20/20 product placement category in the first round for that. I assume Jeopardy was contractually required to show all five of those clues.

I also feel bad for Wilbur. I would have liked to see him play more games.

I wouldn't be surprised if they brought him back, if just for the amount of outrage I'm seeing about it. Again, I understand their rule, but it was obvious what he was trying to finish writing. I've seen contestants brought back for what I've considered lesser offenses.

• Love 3

I believe the rule is that if FJ is written phonetically so it's still pronounced the same, it will pass muster. But if it's missing letters, like that Waitin for Godot, you lose. If that person had written Wayting Four Godough, that would have been okay. (I think. Because ... Kit Carson!)

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, teebax said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they brought him back, if just for the amount of outrage I'm seeing about it.

But what exactly did happen?

Did he run out of time?  If so, too bad.

Did he finish with plenty of time thinking that the words he wrote sufficed?

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

But what exactly did happen?

Did he run out of time?  If so, too bad.

Did he finish with plenty of time thinking that the words he wrote sufficed?

From what we could see, he was writing all the way up until the music ended, and seemed reluctant to rise straight at the end. He was definitely "not finished."

• Love 2

Running out of time because the answer requires instant recognition and fast penmanship is not “too bad.”  It’s poor clue design, and someone who knew the answer  and was in progress of writing the extraordinarily long answer lost because of this design. 

I don’t have a problem with the rule stating full titles (or full names...I wish consistently). I do have a problem when they inherently disadvantage people who want to pause and process before writing or who struggle with writing legibily with or without a light pen. 

• Love 17

I just watched some old Jeopardy on YouTube. There is a video of a young man (he looked pre-teen) who was winning a tourney, except he wrote "Emanciptation Proclamation" for his FJ. He lost when he was going to be an easy winner if not for that extra letter. Yeah, FJ can really suck, especially when you know the answer. I guess misspelling is the same as misspeaking, or adding an "s" on the end of a singular word.

• Love 1

The local channel reruns old shows. FJ answer was Benedict Arnold, but the winner of the game just wrote "Arnold." And he won. He could have meant Arnold Palmer, Tom Arnold, Roseanne Barr Arnold, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Matthew Arnold ... the list goes on, but you know what I mean. Using the same thinking, "Sgt. Pepper" should have been sufficient for yesterday's FJ answer.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The local channel reruns old shows. FJ answer was Benedict Arnold, but the winner of the game just wrote "Arnold." And he won. He could have meant Arnold Palmer, Tom Arnold, Roseanne Barr Arnold, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Matthew Arnold ... the list goes on, but you know what I mean. Using the same thinking, "Sgt. Pepper" should have been sufficient for yesterday's FJ answer.

What was the context of the answer? I do think that makes a difference about whether or not the last name is accepted.

On the other hand, I'm with you on Sgt. Pepper. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, DrScottie said:

To share his perspective on the decision, Wilbur posted to Facebook explaining the situation: 

wilbur.png

There is precedent for the show accepting the common shorthand for the title. Unfortunately what Wilbur wrote is not the common shorthand. When the answer is so long, it would be nice if the show could tell all three that they can use the shorthand, but that would give away a hint. Obviously Kiana showed it was humanly possible to write it all out, but you could not pause at all to think during the "think music" if you wanted to write it all down. You have less than one second per character (with a strange pen)! I think it was a bad FJ clue and wish it had never made it to a taping.

• Love 9

Is there any credible evidence there is an energy vortex in Sedona, Arizona?  I very much doubt it because I don't think science recognizes energy vortexes/vortices.  Jeopardy should not have a clue about a chapel on top of an energy vortex.  Keep to the facts.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Moose135 said:

The clue was "Hailed as the “Greatest Album of All Time”, in 2017 it returned to the top of the charts 50 years after its first release."

BTW, I missed it last night, but I see that Wilbur is from Patchogue, NY - he's a Long Islander like me! I've been to and through Patchogue a million times.  I wish he were sticking around for a bit.

I wanted Alex to ask Wilbur what he lectured on. I imagine the answer would be something like "The Evils of Brentwood", but now we'll never know.

Wilbur was robbed in FJ.

• Love 2

Roaster, I don't think there is credible scientific evidence that there is an energy vortex in Sedona or anywhere else. Of course, I could be wrong. It is a great tourist and hippie draw however. Hippies .. yes, I remember them! As for the Benedict Arnold question, here is the category and clue: NAMES IN THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION. "A newspaper announcing his death in 1801 said he died in England & was “notorious throughout the world.” So, is Arnold an acceptable answer? What about Kit Arnold? I think the full name should have been required.

• Love 1

Kiana seems nice enough but good god they were all annoying to me.  Jim was slow as hell, Kiana kept saying “uh” and “um” and Alex was prompting Kelsey to say what she meant with FJ but she just stood there.

I had no clue for FJ.

• Love 7

Jim. was. about. the. slowest. contestant. ever. to. pick. the. next. clue. please. Alex.  He reminded me of the DMV sloths in Zootopia.  They left so many clues on the board in the first round!

52 minutes ago, Roaster said:

Is there any credible evidence there is an energy vortex in Sedona, Arizona?

I doubt it, but at the same time wonder if they would have accepted ley lines as a correct response. 

On the clue about glottal stops, I'm not sure I would have understood what Alex was saying in his terrible, horrible "British accent" if the words hadn't been written out in front of me.

I got Shroud of Turin and Dupont, but couldn't manage to come up with anything for FJ.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My high school just had its 50-year reunion. When I graduated, my brother gave me the Sgt. Pepper album. So FJ was total instaget for me.

Austin's soundtrack is Prokofiev's "The Troika" from Lt. Kije (a 1934 Soviet movie.)

Thank you -- I just recognized it as part of "I Believe in Father Christmas."

Tonight's game was possibly the slowest one I've ever seen, and I never pay attention to how fast they're going.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, dcalley said:

There is precedent for the show accepting the common shorthand for the title. Unfortunately what Wilbur wrote is not the common shorthand. When the answer is so long, it would be nice if the show could tell all three that they can use the shorthand, but that would give away a hint. Obviously Kiana showed it was humanly possible to write it all out, but you could not pause at all to think during the "think music" if you wanted to write it all down. You have less than one second per character (with a strange pen)! I think it was a bad FJ clue and wish it had never made it to a taping.

Oh, that is interesting! I agree, they just shouldn't have used it.

I felt bad for Jim tonight. Starting off with that "Lost" clue and realizing he messed up what they were looking for. I think it threw him off his game and he never recovered.

• Love 3

I was surprised by Kiana doing so well today since IMO she stole the champion spot from Wilbur yesterday. Yes, I'm still sore about that. I got the TS Bob's Burgers, and I would have gotten Shroud of Turin if the clue hadn't said it was 14 feet long. No kidding! So I tried to think of some Biblical ship or boat, or something, you know, LONG. As for FJ, I didn't even understand the clue.

• Love 2

Clue - "One good thing about TOC"

Answer - "What is the contestants aren't as slow as molasses in January?"

There were a zillion TS and I only got Shroud of Turin (missed DD), Iraq, and Mother of Exiles (don't ask me how I pulled that out of my brain).

FJ was an instaget.  I figured the A in AH had to reference Allah.

7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I would have gotten Shroud of Turin if the clue hadn't said it was 14 feet long. 

It is really big.  I've seen a life size replica at, oddly enough, an exhibit in the Air Force Academy Chapel.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Jim. was. about. the. slowest. contestant. ever. to. pick. the. next. clue. please. Alex.  He reminded me of the DMV sloths in Zootopia.  They left so many clues on the board in the first round!

I doubt it, but at the same time wonder if they would have accepted ley lines as a correct response. 

On the clue about glottal stops, I'm not sure I would have understood what Alex was saying in his terrible, horrible "British accent" if the words hadn't been written out in front of me.

I got Shroud of Turin and Dupont, but couldn't manage to come up with anything for FJ.

Oh my god, he was sooooooo  annoying. 

I assume based on his job as a bartender and the old man with the pony tail might be due to too much weed when younger, but whatever reason.......how do you get on the show like that?  I would think they would screen those people out. 

A rather dull show overall really. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

FJ was an instaget.  I figured the A in AH had to reference Allah.

It actually doesn't. In Westernized/Latin countries, it refers to Anno, same as for AD. The H refers to the first Hajj pilgrimage (the event referenced in the clue).

I immediately said Mohammed, because who else would it be during that time period? Then I was stuck on figuring out what the H might mean...and then decided it didn't matter because it's not like Anno Domini refers to Jesus by name.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I thought it said "Drink more Ovaltine." J/k

I'd give you "Drink more vodka."  All things considered. 

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I said ley lines, too, without a lot of confidence.  But then I Googled, and there's one school of thought that says vortexes are places where ley lines intersect.  So if they're going to accept something as New Agey as vortexes, they'd kind of have to rule in our favor, wouldn't they?

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

"Stop" was really the right answer there, on several different levels.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Roaster said:

Is there any credible evidence there is an energy vortex in Sedona, Arizona?  I very much doubt it because I don't think science recognizes energy vortexes/vortices.  Jeopardy should not have a clue about a chapel on top of an energy vortex.  Keep to the facts.

Or at least have a clue that doesn't state it as a fact (thought to be by some...or some such).

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Roaster, I don't think there is credible scientific evidence that there is an energy vortex in Sedona or anywhere else. Of course, I could be wrong. It is a great tourist and hippie draw however. Hippies .. yes, I remember them! As for the Benedict Arnold question, here is the category and clue: NAMES IN THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION. "A newspaper announcing his death in 1801 said he died in England & was “notorious throughout the world.” So, is Arnold an acceptable answer? What about Kit Arnold? I think the full name should have been required.

Who is Kit Arnold? The only mention of a Kit I could find was in relation to Arnold Palmer (in which case, yes I think only "Arnold" would have been fine). On the other hand, Benedict Arnold did have a son named Benedict (who could have had that nickname?) so even if he didn't precisely match that description, then yes, I think a full name should have been used. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Pallida said:

Running out of time because the answer requires instant recognition and fast penmanship is not “too bad.”  It’s poor clue design, and someone who knew the answer  and was in progress of writing the extraordinarily long answer lost because of this design. 

I don’t have a problem with the rule stating full titles (or full names...I wish consistently). I do have a problem when they inherently disadvantage people who want to pause and process before writing or who struggle with writing legibily with or without a light pen. 

Exactly. My favorite FJ gets are the ones I don't know right away but can think about and then make an educated guess. That's what the think music is for! This clue didn't give enough think time, which is why it was unfair. Either accept the partial answer or don't use an FJ clue with such a long response. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, secnarf said:

It actually doesn't. In Westernized/Latin countries, it refers to Anno, same as for AD. The H refers to the first Hajj pilgrimage (the event referenced in the clue).

I immediately said Mohammed, because who else would it be during that time period? Then I was stuck on figuring out what the H might mean...and then decided it didn't matter because it's not like Anno Domini refers to Jesus by name.

Oh, thanks for letting me know.  *off to Google for more info*

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Who is Kit Arnold? 

It's a joke.  Remember the Kit Carson kerfuffle?

• Love 3
8 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

It's a joke.  Remember the Kit Carson kerfuffle?

Somewhere in the dim recesses of my mind, where I pull answers out of thin air and surprise myself. Sadly, I didn't remember it enough to recognize the joke. :)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Sadly, I didn't remember it enough to recognize the joke. :)

If memory serves..... There was an answer (or question) that referenced Kit Carson, and Alex asked the contestant to be more specific when she just answered "Carson." She could not come up with "Kit" and was ruled wrong. This was such a ridiculous decision, given the wide leeway the show gives in other instances, so now any ridiculous ruling MUST be responded to here with some derivation of "Kit" or "Carson."

• Love 8

If one delves deeply back into the recesses of these Jeopardy! threads, you'll find our extended discussion of Kit Carson vs. Carson when it happened on the show. "Kit" or "Carson" anything has been a running joke here since. I'm guessing some of you are too young to know that. "Git off my lawn."

• Love 6