Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I hated the way whoever it was pronounced Reading Gaol. I grew up in Reading, PA, and it's pronounced like the past tense of "read" not its present tense. Someone did that while playing me in Monopoly once as well with Reading Railroad.  Drove me nuts!

When I visited Philadelphia on a Road Trip, I took the "Hop-On, Hop-Off" bus tour. Stop #5 was the Reading Terminal Market and the guide kept pronouncing it "Reeding."  Annoyed the hell out of me. All those tourists on his bus are gonna think that's how it's pronounced.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Conotocarious said:

As others have said its Tom F*cking Brady. And yes, it’s a compliment.

Not the way I say it.  And I'll agree with the poster above, the only Tom Terrific pitched for the Mets and is named Seaver.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, teebax said:

I hated the way whoever it was pronounced Reading Gaol. I grew up in Reading, PA, and it's pronounced like the past tense of "read" not its present tense.

After she said it that way, Alex accepted it but said it the right way. I was glad of that because "Reeding" hurt my ears. I got the impression she had seen the poem title in print but never pronounced.

• Love 4

The way she asked for the first clue in the Gridiron category made me grit my teeth because I heard it as “well I know I am a woman but look at me going to the football category first like such a progressive player!”  It was very nearly condescending.

For some reason, I know how to correctly pronounce Reading because of the railroad space in Monopoly, but I have no idea why I would correlate those things because it’s not like the Monopoly board speaks to me.

• Love 8
44 minutes ago, mojoween said:

For some reason, I know how to correctly pronounce Reading because of the railroad space in Monopoly, but I have no idea why I would correlate those things because it’s not like the Monopoly board speaks to me.

The Ballad of Reading Gaol has appeared on Jeopardy! numerous times; people should know how to pronounce it correctly.

I did not get any ts's.  Instaget FJ. I knew Mother Teresa was born in a relatively obscure country although didn't remember which one, plus the quote sounded like her.  I notice they all spelt her name wrong, Theresa, instead of Teresa.  I am Theresa, named after my Aunt Teresa:)

• Love 4

I strongly dislike Tom Brady (for so many reasons, cheating being one of them) so I'm all for just calling him by his middle and last names: Effing Brady. I thought about FJ and how I didn't know Mother Teresa was from Albania. If the category was Countries That Start With A, I would have guessed Armenia, then Algeria. I never would have come up with Albania. Which proves I'm only selectively smart. I didn't notice the returning champ being unhappy to be there. Maybe that's her stress level coming through. All I noticed was everyone talking in upspeak, like they are questioning everything they said. But I've never found any Jeopardy episode boring, I love trying to answer each clue, and I shout out the answers to the harder ones. You know, so everyone in the room (dogs) will know for sure how clever I am.

I have two clients, one is Theresa, one is Teresa. I have to be extremely careful when emailing either one.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

Yes, Brady is called Tom Terrific by the sports media. Among fans he is simply TFB.

14 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

The F isn't meant to be his middle initial in this case.  It's more of a description--Tom Fuckin' Brady, to be exact.  In New England that's a compliment.

LOL - thanks.  It was just a miscommunication on my part.  I didn't think Conotocarious was going there with the initials.  And, yes, I agree...as a New Englander and a diehard Patriots fan, T"F"B is definitely a compliment.  We love our TB, TB12, TFB, Tom, Tommy, Brady no matter what he's called!

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I can't remember the name question, but it said "this 3 named actor", so why did they give it to him for "Dean Morgan" and Alex finished it with "Yes, Jeffrey Dean Morgan"?

Right, the clue said '3 named actor' so say the three names dammit!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Tunia said:

LOL - thanks.  It was just a miscommunication on my part.  I didn't think Conotocarious was going there with the initials.  And, yes, I agree...as a New Englander and a diehard Patriots fan, T"F"B is definitely a compliment.  We love our TB, TB12, TFB, Tom, Tommy, Brady no matter what he's called!

Ah, I’ve found another one. Hello, friend! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Tunia said:

You're welcome.  I thought it was sweet that it didn't even occur to you.  You obviously grew up on the more genteel side of the tracks than I did.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Right, the clue said '3 named actor' so say the three names dammit!

51 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I can't remember the name question, but it said "this 3 named actor", so why did they give it to him for "Dean Morgan" and Alex finished it with "Yes, Jeffrey Dean Morgan"?

Argh yes!  I was also aggravated about this.  And also, JDM is SO damned handsome when he is all cleaned up.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Argh yes!  I was also aggravated about this.  And also, JDM is SO damned handsome when he is all cleaned up.

Agreed.

I was, however, sad that they did not include Supernatural in the list of shows he's been on.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I was super aggravated by that, and Alex didn't even say Morgan, just "Yes, Jeffrey Dean"! 

• Love 4

Oh, YES to the big gaffe on Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Dean Morgan should NOT have been accepted, or BMS should have been asked. Then Alex said "Jeffrey Dean" in reply, so even HE messed up the three-word name. Sometimes this show makes me nuts. And Moose, thanks for the laugh. Kit Dean Morgan indeed. No kidding!

Oops, YoureSoUrban beat me to it while I was still writing.

• Love 6

What an ending!

On the final DD, I said Rough Riders, just like Wilbur.  Great minds thinking alike, except we were both wrong.

FJ was an instaget, which was convenient because it takes 30 second to write out the full name of the album.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I like Austin's Road Trip video. Love the soundtrack. Thanks for posting that.

But...what is that building with the sphere that he's pointing to?

I *think* it's the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, but I could be wrong.  I just got all whooped up that he drove up the Merritt/Wilbur Cross Parkway; I drive through that tunnel just about every day. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Roaster said:

FJ was an instaget, which was convenient because it takes 30 second to write out the full name of the album

Question: Do you think they would have accepted just "Sgt. Pepper's" or did you have to have the whole name?

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Ouch, Jeopardy. ouch. The answer (question) is a billion words long and you won't accept a partial response. I really felt for Wilbur there.

That said, my guess was the White Album.

I was so pissed for Wilbur's sake. Why would they select something that takes the ENTIRE freaking time to write??? There's no time to even think about the full title. I understand the ruling, but I thought that should never have been a response to an FJ clue, when the contestants have to write down the answer.

My gets were: dilemma; cosmopolitan; the installation DD; snakebite; and the Wright Brothers DD. I knew FJ but would never have been able to write it by the time I figured it out.

• Love 14

Yeah, FJ sucked big time for Wilbur. I wonder if judges would have accepted emojis/symbols for heart and club. Because writing the entire title in 30 seconds, less if it took a bit to think of it, is pretty much a fail. (Except one person didn't fail, so there's that.) Speaking of fails, I shouted out Córdoba that was a TS for city in Spain. Then I shouted some sort of blasphemy when it was correct since I don't have the slightest clue how I knew that.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Yeah, FJ sucked big time for Wilbur. I wonder if judges would have accepted emojis/symbols for heart and club. Because writing the entire title in 30 seconds, less if it took a bit to think of it, is pretty much a fail. (Except one person didn't fail, so there's that.) Speaking of fails, I shouted out Córdoba that was a TS for city in Spain. Then I shouted some sort of blasphemy when it was correct since I don't have the slightest clue how I knew that.

It is amazing what random facts we have buried deep in our brains. 

4 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I was pissed. Poor Wilbur. They knew what he meant and they knew HE KNEW the ridiculously long title. Justice For Wilbur!

He got Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart. As for as I'm concerned, he got it right. You can tell he's still writing as he ran out of time (and maybe space too). It has been clear that they cannot rule by intent otherwise responses like "Emanciptation Proclamation" from the kids tournament would be acceptable and, as you mentioned, Kiana did complete the title.  

1 minute ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

FJ was an instaget.

For me as well, but do you think you could have written it all out in time though? I'm not sure I could have.  

• Love 4

The Wall was a pretty strange guess.  I guess he really likes Pink Floyd.  We do, too, but not delusionally so.

My proud moment was figuring out what the Cyrillic said.  And then I called my husband in (he knows Russian) to confirm. 

Just in case anyone else wants to play my little cryptic game, I'll spoiler-tag it.

Spoiler

"Let's make it a true Daily Double."

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

The Wall was a pretty strange guess.  I guess he really likes Pink Floyd.  We do, too, but not delusionally so.

My proud moment was figuring out what the Cyrillic said.  And then I called my husband in (he knows Russian) to confirm. 

Just in case anyone else wants to play my little cryptic game, I'll spoiler-tag it.

Hide contents

Nice! Thanks for sharing that. 

Maybe tomorrow's FJ can be that long When the Pawn... album by Fiona Apple. And you have to write out the whole title! 

Edited by teebax
Wasn't finished with my thought
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

It is amazing what random facts we have buried deep in our brains.

Yes, it really is. I have no idea how/why I instantly said the Wright brothers.

I also got Joseph immediately - that musical was my favourite when I was six. It was the first one I ever saw live.

Although for FJ, I knew it was a Beatles album, I just couldn't figure out which!

• Love 1
Just now, Driad said:

To whom shall we send pepper as a protest?

Twitter? Of course I have no idea how to do that, but I'll learn for his sake. BTW I keep reading "Wilbur" in Mr. Ed's voice.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Then I shouted some sort of blasphemy when it was correct since I don't have the slightest clue how I knew that.

I love it when that happens. For some reason, it makes me feel smarter than if I know something for a reason.

But AAARRRGGHHH there were so many clues left on the board. I think 5! We only got to see one of the Netflix and Spell categories. Disappointing.

• Love 3

I didn't think Wilbur looked annoyed at the end, he just looked like the earth had swallowed him whole. That heartbreaker after coming back from being buried alive at the beginning of the game ... it had to have shattered a bunch of his brain cells. Congrats to Mondrianyone for even THINKING of translating that Cyrillic phrase. I didn't even look at it after the one second it took for me to ID the font. Too funny, the translation. I wish it had been something ... well, more interesting. But I guess that's why I'm not a writer on Jeopardy. A viewer like Mondianyone would get me fired. Meanwhile, I don't know if I would have gotten FJ because I forgot to listen to the question/answer. I did get that album for Christmas one year though, so there's that!

• Love 4

So if Wilbur has just scribbled something and it was illegible, but said it was the correct answer, would it have counted? 

I think Sergeant Pepper's should count.  IT is long to write out and everyone knows what you mean by that.  I guessed correctly.  Figured it was a Beatles album. 

I thought the last few nights the answers have been easier. 

• Love 3

The Twitter scuttlebutt is split. It seems most people are #JusticeForWilbur, with a few sprinkled accusations of racism on the show's part. The anti-Wilbur folks are vehement, though, that rules are rules. The problem is that, as we well know, Jeopardy is quite inconsistent with the application of their own rules, and such a long response should not be required in FJ because it gives ZERO room for thought. You have to know the answer immediately and start writing immediately. Wilbur was clearly still writing all the way to the end and could have finished the whole answer with a few more seconds. I know I had no clue if it was Sgt Pepper or the White album because I am not that savvy, so I would never have been able to write that whole thing (and would have assumed "What is Sgt Pepper?" would have been accepted. (And is it "Sergeant Pepper" or "Sgt Pepper?" I would have been dinged for sure. Stupid Jeopardy.)

• Love 8

Took me a second to do the math (I am not mathletic!) and figure out what year was 50 years ago, but then FJ was an instaget.  I agree that Wiiiiillllbrrrr [/Mr. Ed] was robbed.  It was clear what he was going for, and also clear that he simply ran out of time.  

I liked Eric, but I'm not sad he's gone -- too much swaying.  Even the camera had a hard time keeping him in the screen for his DD.

Also, did Alex say, "Damn." after Eric finished his zombie apocalypse story?  Anyway, I guess Eric won't have to worry about being in LA anymore! 

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

For me as well, but do you think you could have written it all out in time though? I'm not sure I could have.  

Yes.  I had the entire title written out legibly before time was up.  Of course, I'm sitting in my living room and not shaking with nerves, sweating and peeing my pants on live TV.

• Love 10
31 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Congrats to Mondrianyone for even THINKING of translating that Cyrillic phrase. I didn't even look at it after the one second it took for me to ID the font. Too funny, the translation. I wish it had been something ... well, more interesting.

That makes the whole thing sound a lot smarter than it was, but thank you.  It's not like I got a conk on the head and woke up knowing Russian--it was a letter-for-letter substitution from English.  I just figured it had to say something.  I knew the counterparts of maybe two of the Cyrillic letters, and then I looked for letter and word patterns.  It helped that the two final words were capitalized with letters that looked like D's, and then I kind of worked it out from that.  This sounds like it took all night, but it really took only a minute or so.  It helps to be the kind of person who sees an odd word or name and immediately checks to see if it spells something backwards.  I was born too late for Bletchley Park, I guess.  ;o)

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

It helps to be the kind of person who sees an odd word or name and immediately checks to see if it spells something backwards.  I was born too late for Bletchley Park, I guess.  ;o)

My head does that with the names of prescription drugs advertised on TV but they never spell anything backwards either. 

• Love 4

FJ was an instaget for me.  I felt bad for Wilbur, as he clearly knew the answer, but ran out of time.

Just curious:  if you knew you were running out of time, could you write six fairly illegible words that have some identifying features (such as first letters clear, length of "words" correlating with the real words, and scrawl extending below the line where p/y/g would've been) and get credit?  I know they don't count off for spelling, but what about penmanship?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I like Austin's Road Trip video. Love the soundtrack. Thanks for posting that.

Yes, that was nice. Very well made, and I agree about the soundtrack. Any idea what the music was?

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I liked Eric, but I'm not sad he's gone -- too much swaying. 

I'm sad he's gone, but what was bugging me was that he kept ringing in for the Bible category and getting the answers wrong. Anyway, I loved his zombie apocalypse story, esp the way he told it. I like his sense of humor.

As for FJ, I got it right, though once more I was thinking it was too easy so I must be wrong. Anyway, I audibly gasped when Wilbur didn't get credit for what he'd written. That really sucks. I wonder if the reason he was ruled wrong was not because the title was incomplete, but because he wrote 'Heart' instead of 'Hearts.'

• Love 5

I've seen FJ written as scrawls that have to be interpreted for Alex by the writer. But heck, Today Alex couldn't even decipher "The Wall," which was obvious to me. But I've seen plenty of "doctor's signatures" for FJs. Wilbur (I do love that name, because who is named Wilbur these days? Besides Wilbur, that is.) could have just done some loopy scrawls if he knew he was running out of time. Which I'm guessing he did not. As for rules being rules, just ask Kit Carson what HE thinks about Jeopardy rules. #TeamWilbur

• Love 4