Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

23 minutes ago, Tabasco Cat said:

I disagree with this completely. Not posing, nothing to prove. Not even a flag to fly or a statement. Just a simple indication of where you're from. In my experience you get more respect from the locals yokels when you've got NY plates on your car. Not trying to be gangsta or anything like that. It's just a fact.

No, it's not a fact, it's an opinion, and calling it a fact doesn't magically transform it into one. That attitude of secretly, or not so secretly, thinking of the locals in anyplace but NY as yokels is part of why people elsewhere often find us insufferable.  And I say this as someone who was born in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, which I guess would make me a proto-hipster, if I believed there was such a thing.  Austin's desperation to advertise himself as a NYer just proves to me he's anything but.  Mileage, and plates, obviously varies.

In other news, I thought Alex was being very kind to Lisa at the end of the show.  As a woman, I wish she'd sucked it up and taken her loss . . . like a man.  It's just a game.  Ya win some, ya lose some.  The more some of us behave that way, the more the rest of us get tarred with the same brush, of being too weak to compete against men and needing to be coddled when we come up short.  Throw rocks if you've got 'em.  I'll duck.

• Love 12
47 minutes ago, Tabasco Cat said:

In my experience you get more respect from the locals yokels when you've got NY plates on your car.

I kept the NY plates on my car for 2 years after moving to North Carolina - in fact, until I traded in the car when I got my current ride.  I did seem to get more respect on the highways down here - I think people saw the NY plates and assumed I'd run them off the road and beat the crap out of them if they did something to piss me off on the road.

• Love 4

Congrats to Alan! I liked all 3 players tonight, but Alan was on a roll. I love that his Jeopardy winnings gave him the financial security to go back to school for a masters in creative writing. Pranjal's cat story was adorable, and he is not wrong about prescription cat food being pricey. Tim is a great sport!

TS I got were Reagan, auxiliary, abruptly, dropped, guitar, and the missed DD of the Knights Templar.

7 hours ago, secnarf said:

I thoughts 3 pm was commonly known as the time Jesus supposedly died. At least, that's what I was taught from childhood ;) Apparently it's not as widely known as I thought! Just as well, since it's probably +++inaccurate, given the time period.

That's how I got it. But I went to Catholic school from K-12, so who knows of its widely known. 

On 11/14/2017 at 5:39 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

Did they cut back on the video clues? I feel like I haven't seen Jimmy and the others in ages.

On 11/14/2017 at 5:51 PM, mojoween said:

I feel like Beetlejuice you just summoned an entire category of video clues.

Are you 2 witches??? And how do I get the winning Powerball numbers? 

• Love 7

Alan played one hell of a game and deserved that win.  I'd found him somewhat annoying during his original appearances, but given what I've had to suffer since, I'm fine with him winning since his mannerisms seem unintentional, unlike Buzzy and (especially) Austin, who seem like they're putting on acts for the camera.

I did kind of find myself rooting for Pranchal last night after his cat story.  And yes, prescription cat food is hella expensive.

• Love 5

I did kind of find myself rooting for Pranchal last night after his cat story.  And yes, prescription cat food is hella expensive.

Same here, about Pranjal. Before the interviews, he was getting on my nerves with his post-answer commentary, and I thought, "When did Jeopardy become a chat show?" But the cat story won me over completely. Talk about whiplash.

Count me as another rooting for Alan. Do it, young fella!

• Love 7
14 hours ago, teebax said:

OMG Pranjal was driving me nuts. Alan was cute trying to calculate how far ahead he was. I liked Tim's FJ answer. It must be frustrating when you can't ring in.

My gets were Reagan, the DD of Massachusetts, auxiliary, abruptly, Joan Allen (teaching The Crucible this bloack and we just watched the movie), Hoover, guitar, and the Templar DD. 

I didn't know FJ, so I'll have to research Petain. 

I didn't get Hoover, and I came up with Joan Allen probably a fraction of a second too late, but I did get the rest, plus FJ.  That took me a moment, because I first said "Vichy" then realized that wasn't a person's name and pulled Petain out of my brain with enough time to write it down, I think.  Petain was a French hero during WWI, but then he became the head of the government for occupied France during WWII (Vichy France), and agreed to an armistice with Germany, thus basically surrendering the bulk of France to Hitler.

13 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got Ronald Reagan, auxiliary, dropped, guitar, and the Knights Templar (missed DD).

I'm batting 1000 in not knowing FJ.  Off to research Marshal Petain.

I got 'dropped' as well - all that watching Call the Midwife finally paid off!  lol

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Tabasco Cat said:

I disagree with this completely. Not posing, nothing to prove. Not even a flag to fly or a statement. Just a simple indication of where you're from. In my experience you get more respect from the locals yokels when you've got NY plates on your car. Not trying to be gangsta or anything like that. It's just a fact.

Not when you come to my county, you don't.  But we don't hate New Yorkers as much as we hate drivers from Pennsylvania because we have to deal with them everyday, and they either drive too fast or too slow, never just right.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

On Good Friday at 3PM Catholics are supposed to be in deep prayer/contemplation and not doing anything else.  I think that 3 o'clock is probably made up given the Christian reverence for the number 3, which I think is because of the Trinity. I don't remember all of it but historically Christians have been partial to the number 3.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Tabasco Cat said:

In my experience you get more respect from the locals yokels when you've got NY plates on your car.

Not if you're in Massachusetts or Rhode Island, but that's more of a football kinda' thing.  LOL

(ETA:  I actually feel somewhat threatened when visiting my son in NY during football season, having RI Patriots-logo plates on my car, so it works both ways.)

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 3

I've enjoyed the Cat vs. Dog back-and-forth on NY plates. I kept my Illinois plates when I lived in Ohio for a while. Everyone assumes Illinois means Chicago gangsta, so yes, I got a ton of respect. Which I immediately lost if I told anyone I lived closer to Iowa. You know, where they don't have electricity or indoor plumbing. So I went back to being from Chicago and at the top of pecking order again.

I liked yesterday's game with Alan, Tim and Pranjal the best of this entire week. All three were good players, all good sports, no one acted the douche. Which, it seems, this show encourages given all the publicity given to people who are asshats whenever they see the camera on them. I'm afraid we haven't seen the last of Austin-esque contestants.

• Love 3

I also said Vichy for FJ, realized it was a place not a person, so then I had nothing.  I've heard of General Petain but didn't remember him last night, I just knew it was the head of Vichy France.  My ts's were Reagan (a surprising ts), auxiliary and dropped.

Congrats to Alan for the win; I think these final two games are going to be very fast paced.

• Love 1

How is it determined who plays which days in the semifinals?  If TPTB had any heart, Buzzy and Austin would have been on the same day, thus kicking one of the egotists out.  Rooting for Alan.

Embarrassed in my Benedict Arnold guess last night.  I just finished reading a bio of Genevieve de Gaulle Anthonioz, Charles's niece and a French resistor.

• Love 3

I read that 1991 is the last year that Mercedes made really high quality and reliable automobiles. That wagon (W124?) is a tank and will last forever if you care for it properly. Many afficionados will tell you that post-1991 Mercedes are crap.

Not only that, but Mercedes is sold around the world, so there'd be a good chance you could get it fixed if you needed to. 

• Love 3

That's a good thought, Mortys, but remember Austin was a wild card so I'm afraid even if Buzzy won that imaginary game, Austin could still continue, just like my nightmare of seeing him will continue two more days. Can't wait though!

Today will be interesting in that Buzzy is an above-podium buzzer shaker while Austin doesn't let us know if he is buzzing in or not. I can't remember how Alan buzzes. I just hope he gets to do some air computing on all the DDs.

• Love 3

Was Alan air computing or signaling to someone in the audience for advice on wagering? Even the first time he did it, I thought he was communicating with someone in the audience.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bliss said:

Just saw the brief video on the J! webpage:

https://www.jeopardy.com/tournaments/2017/tournament-of-champions

See, the video they had up just before the start of the tournament showing all 15 contestants was charming and made me feel like I would be friends with all these people in real life.  This video isn't as good.

Alan needs to wear a tie, so he doesn't look like a 15-year-old.  Not a fancy suit like Buzzy,  Just a simple jacket and tie.  I think Austin nailed the appropriate dress for male contestants.

Edited by Roaster
typo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Was Alan air computing or signaling to someone in the audience for advice on wagering? Even the first time he did it, I thought he was communicating with someone in the audience.

I never thought this was anything but him doing calculations on his own. That was just my gut reaction, but as "proof," isn't the audience (a) dark (I've never been to a taping) and (b) not in the direction that he was looking? Plus the show is very careful about doing things by the book.

22 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

How old is Alan? Because I know he looks younger than his age, but wow, I'm impressed by his knowledge as such a young man.

25, per a tweet from his original run.

• Love 5

Who had the anecdote where he said how tough it is on Jeopardy, needing to be able to access every fact you know within 5 seconds. "Sometimes it takes six seconds." Was that Tim? They are blurring together at this point, but I just loved that quote.

• Love 7

Yes, that was Tim.  I loved that observation, too.  He also wrote "Who is too old and too slow?" as his FJ answer.  He was clearly outmatched, but there's a lot to be said for quiet and funny--and self-deprecating.  Thanks for leaving the jazz hands in the dressing room, Tim.

I couldn't stand Pranjal during the regular season--I remember that glaring at the other players thing he did, but he seems to have grown up or mellowed or something.  Or I have.  Loved the story about his cat.  Who knew he had that sense of humor?

• Love 7

Alan grew on me today, especially when he said he is going to get his master's in creative writing.

And do what with it? Teach, I guess. If he wants to write fiction, send him to me  :-)

I took creative writing in college and all I really got out of it was a page and a half, single-spaced, with euphemisms for "penis" (in the story I wrote I kept calling it "his thing"... but I was very, very young).

• Love 1
7 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

On Good Friday at 3PM Catholics are supposed to be in deep prayer/contemplation and not doing anything else.  I think that 3 o'clock is probably made up given the Christian reverence for the number 3, which I think is because of the Trinity. I don't remember all of it but historically Christians have been partial to the number 3.

It comes from one of the gospels (can't remember who - maybe Mark?), which specified the hour that the crucifixion and death happened. Of course, time-keeping was different then, so it had to be "translated".

2 hours ago, Trey said:

It has always looked to me like he is computing different scenarios. It never occurred to me that he was communicating with someone - there is no 'lag time' when he would be receiving a message, and his eyes don't look like they are searching out a person.

47 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Who had the anecdote where he said how tough it is on Jeopardy, needing to be able to access every fact you know within 5 seconds. "Sometimes it takes six seconds." Was that Tim? They are blurring together at this point, but I just loved that quote.

It was Tim, and I also loved it because it is very true.

Tim reminds me quite a lot of someone I know, and this sounds very much like something that person would say also.

• Love 6

I was at a day of Jeopardy taping many years ago, and although I was not in the front row, I don't see how a contestant could be getting signals from anyone in the audience. Distance is too far. When I was there, contestants waiting for their turns were seated together in the audience, up front, and they all sang and "seat danced" together when the Jeopardy theme played. I also remember being VERY offended (I was very innocent then!) by Trebek, during filming breaking, saying the carpeting in the studio SUCKED. OMGosh, that was horrible swearing to my ears and I still sort of hold a grudge against him for his "crudeness." Note that there is no longer carpeting in the Jeopardy studio. Of course, all that was long before most of you whippersnappers were born.

• Love 4
On 11/13/2017 at 7:44 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

And I have found him much less annoying this tournament, though I could have done without his long story about travelling around the word and specifics of how he would do it.

I agree. I was no fan, but for some reason he's not particularly bothersome to me at the moment.

On 11/14/2017 at 8:26 PM, Moose135 said:

I confidently said "12 Angry Men" for FJ.

Me too.

19 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

In other news, I thought Alex was being very kind to Lisa at the end of the show.  As a woman, I wish she'd sucked it up and taken her loss . . . like a man.  It's just a game.  

I also wish she'd sucked it up and taken her loss - like the adult and champion she is. I personally don't see it as a gender thing. There have been plenty of men who reacted badly to their losses on Jeopardy, and most people aren't too pleased with them either. I prefer the expression "like an adult" to "like a man" in pretty much all things. 

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 9
31 minutes ago, Roaster said:

See, the writers know how to put together a hard game.  So many stumpers today for three excellent players.  I blanked more than usual, too.

For FJ, I said iPad.

Agreed, this was hard! The triple rhyme category was tricky and fun. I was surprised when Alex accepted Austin's answer with an 's' so glad they corrected that.

I guessed iPhone. I wasn't certain, but I did know that iPad wasn't it.

• Love 4

This was a very unique show for me in that I knew some of the answers that the 3 of them blanked on... e.g., Spite and Malice is one of my favourite card games - I swear, I've laughed so hard playing that game, I've awoken the next morning wondering who smacked my jaw and belly (sore from laughing so hard). A lot of it has to do with my opponent - when the two of us get together, it's an extreme giggle-fest.

Interesting relationship among Buzzy, Alan and Austin - I like the way they're 'friendly' opponents. Hopefully it will be contagious.

• Love 5

I think the only TS I got was Colby (cheese), and that's because it's my home state. Tough boards today for me!

7 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Interesting relationship among Buzzy, Alan and Austin - I like the way they're 'friendly' opponents.

They are having so much fun with this game, I love it. I hope it doesn't all dissolve in the competition tomorrow.

My nerdy husband (of "look at these fucking hipsters" fame) was SHOCKED that none of them got iPhone, which he got immediately and declared "the easiest FJ I've ever seen." (I didn't know it was iPhone, I thought that would have been earlier)

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 7

I got FJ because I remembered commercials for the iPhone X stating that the iPhone came out in 2007 but nothing much has been new with it until now.

I had not heard of several of those card games apart from Bridge, and I guessed about Omaha.

That slug category was kind of gross; I hope nobody was eating dinner while watching the show!

• Love 2

I yelled tender fender bender too. That one was easy! I also hollered at Austin when he screwed up transgender. Dude! 

I said Ipad. I went through Austin’s exact same thought process. 

Poor Buzzy. His FJ guess was not good.

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 2

I got iPhone immediately - that it came out in 2007 is, for some reason, ingrained into my brain and has been for a number of years. No idea why - it's such a random factoid - but it would have been my in-an-ideal-world FJ question.

• Love 1

I waffled between iPhone and iPad, and though I hate to admit having anything in common with Austin, I ended up choosing iPad as well. 

What were they trying to do at the start?  Be the Von Trapp Family children singing "So Long, Farewell"?  At least there's only one more day of this idiocy.

So many TS!  And so many that I actually got!  I was quite disappointed no one got Authors or Spite & Malice.  Fun games.  I also got bel paese (delicious cheese!), Narcan (because I live where addiction is a serious problem), Colby, skittles, poultice, tender fender bender, Matewan (because I grew up in coal country), Air Supply, and Willie Nelson and Julio Iglesias.

• Love 3

If you had told me there would be a TS in final during the TOC that was an instaget for me, I'd call you nuts. But that's what happened today, which was fun for me playing at home.

I also got Narcad, Air Supply, Pala Mata, Innocent,  and Julio Iglesias/Willy Nelson. I enjoyed their camaraderie. Good game.  

• Love 6

I got Bel Paese and Colby- I guess I know my weird cheese origins (actually knowing Italian is how I got it Bel Paese) but I was mostly dumb in this game. 

I thought Alan answered some very hard questions, especially toward the end. 

I also thought I-phone at first but then changed my answer to I-Pad, lol.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I also wish she'd sucked it up and taken her loss - like the adult and champion she is. I personally don't see it as a gender thing. There have been plenty of men who reacted badly to their losses on Jeopardy, and most people aren't too pleased with them either. I prefer the expression "like an adult" to "like a man" in pretty much all things. 

It was a joke.  I thought maybe the ellipses made that clear.  I'm a woman, too.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Poultice was a TS?  Really?

I got that it came from polenta - you don't grow up in an Italian family without knowing polenta - but I couldn't make the jump from there to poultice.

• Love 2

I think the judges made a huge error today. The clue read ‘this 11 letter word is the ‘t’ in LGBTQ.’ Austin guessed transsexual and was ruled incorrect, and I agree with that ruling. However, Alan’s response was ‘transgendered’ which is clearly more than 11 letters. It was only a $400 clue but if I were Buzzy or Austin I’d be pissed if Alan ends up winning by a small margin.

• Love 4