Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, burner said:

It's got to be random, right?

I don't think so. I think J! wants to avoid--as much as possible--having anyone who played each other in the quarters playing again in the semis. They're also not going to have the women play each other in the semis, I predict. And scores from the quarters probably do come into play. Perhaps the biggest quarterfinal winner is the one who gets the two wildcard opponents in the semis. If any players had the same name they'd be kept apart until the finals, but I don't think that's a factor here.

• Love 1

When I here George Cross I think of The Brady Bunch episode where Jan makes up George Glass as her boyfriend. 

It sounds like an award you would make up.  "Yes I won a big award.......the......George.....Cross, yeah, George Cross!"

Still think it should be Victorian and Georgian, even though they didn't name them that way. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

1940 made it George to me, given they were already at war and Edward was persona-non-grata by that point. But for some reason "George Cross" sounded stupid to me (even though "Victoria Cross" didn't). So I couldn't settle on a name.

I also first thought of George, but just couldn't be confident in that because it sounded so dumb to me!

Briefly thought Edward, which didn't sound as dumb, then realized that was not very likely at all, so then I switched to Albert. The Albert Cross just sounded better to me than the George Cross.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Roaster said:

Who are you rooting for?

I am rooting Andrew Pau because he's old. Well, middle age (like me!) but the oldest contestant left.

I'm for Andrew (I'm probably older than him) and Jason.  At least I only have one that I REALLY would hate to see win.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, whinewithwine said:

I'm for Andrew (I'm probably older than him) and Jason.  At least I only have one that I REALLY would hate to see win.

I'm content to let the best player win, without regard for age, gender or personal foibles.

I'm also never going to tell you what questions I knew and didn't know, or almost knew, because that is of no interest to anyone but me.  

• Love 5
10 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

When I here George Cross I think of The Brady Bunch episode where Jan makes up George Glass as her boyfriend. 

It sounds like an award you would make up.  "Yes I won a big award.......the......George.....Cross, yeah, George Cross!"

Hilarious! 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 3
On 11/11/2017 at 11:07 AM, Bliss said:

If my eyes aren't deceiving me, it looks like they've put Andrew, Austin and Lilly together for one of the semi-final games (I think those are the contestants captured in the photo on the J! website)... I have no idea whether it will be Mon/Tue/Wed.

Here are the final tallies (* won their day):

1. Buzzy $30,000 * day 1

2. Andrew $29,000 * day 5

3. Jason $23,000 * day 2

4. Alan $19,610 * day 3

5. Pranjal $16,401 day 1

6. Austin $16,000 day 3

7. Lisa $15,400 * day 4

8. Lilly $12,000 day 2

9. Tim $11,500 day 2

(Interesting that all contestants from day 2 are playing in the semifinals...)

I'd hazard a guess that they'll attempt to mix up the contestants so that there aren't two from the same day, competing against each other again... and I'm assuming they'll split up the top 3 winners so each plays on a different day... but who knows? Maybe they draw straws or names out of Alex's hat. LOL

Since I think they've put #2, 6, and 8 together, I'm going to predict that they'll team up #1 (Buzzy) with #9 (Tim) and #7 (Lisa).

That will leave #3 (Jason), #4 (Alan) and #5 (Pranjal).

Just a wild guess! Sort of how I play the game ;)

I was close!

Day 1: Andrew Austin, Lilly

Day 2: Buzzy, Jason, Lisa

Day 3: Alan, Pranjal, Tim

(I had Jason and Tim switched - mainly because I thought they'd spread the top 3 winners out over the three days. Guess not. At least they don't have any repetition of same day quarter finalists, so everyone is playing completely different opponents.)

• Love 2

I follow a bunch of the Royal Family twitter accounts and some George Crosses were just handed out so it was just on my mind.  Though, with my obvious obsession, I could have gotten it from the great grandson bit. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Bliss said:

Day 1: Andrew Austin, Lilly

I don't like this match-up because Andrew and Austin are my two favourites.  Other than that, I don't really care who wins; I am just looking forward to some really good games.

• Love 5
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:10 PM, Trey said:

I guess someone wanted it in with the other three crosses - here's of picture of the four crosses in one flag - it is a little busy.

Union Jack with St. David's cross

That would be just a bit eye-bleeding, for sure.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:36 AM, whinewithwine said:

I decided to root for Jason after hearing that he was the one who came up with the ribbons in honor of Cindy, and I like Andrew, too.  So if either of them win, I'll be very happy.  But honestly, as long as it's not Buzzy or Austin, I'm fine.  Yes, they're very good players, but they both come across to me as smug douchebags, and I can't root for that.

• Love 5

I was hoping for an Andrew/Austin/Buzzy final,  but that won't be.  I don't dislike Alan, but I don't like him and hope he doesn't win his semi.

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 3

I think Andrew and Lilly lost the game - and Austin won by default due to their errors. It certainly wasn't his best game, and I couldn't help thinking that all the people who find him 'annoying' probably need to make a dental appointment to check the new wear and tear from gritting their teeth :)

Andrew bet (way) too much on his second DD - of course, if he'd known the answer which I thought was relatively easy, he'd have been set for the rest of the game. I can't help but wonder if starting a category in the middle had something to do with his misfortune.

Although I appreciate Lilly's speed in making her choices and subsequent responses, I think it misfired for her - she missed 2 easy ones by not thinking clearly (JMO... I remember the circumference of the earth from grade school... plus her answer of the earth's "radius" was geographically ridiculous... I think that would make earth bigger than Uranus! - again, JMO, but I think the teen contestants would have answered that question correctly). Or maybe math/geography isn't a strong subject for her? Or maybe she's been playing too many video games?

I'm a numbers person, so perhaps what I think is easy isn't for everyone. I definitely would have struggled searching through my brain for the answer to the FJ! I know most of the USA presidents, but the VPs? Not so much.

(I laughed out loud when Alex asked Austin about his right arm movements... LOL... I bet Andrew was glad to have lots of distance from that flailing arm.)

Note to Austin - if you happen to read this thread - just a suggestion: when the camera is panning you at the beginning of the show, please smile. Just smile. If you really need to make a dog from invisible balloons, I could care less... but please smile. You're blessed to have this opportunity and the least you can do is pretend to be grateful. An attitude of gratitude may win you some good karma! p.s Congratulations! The end.

• Love 3

I was not a fan of Lilly during the College Games, but I've liked her in both of her appearances here.  Unfortunately, Andrew and Austin were my two favorites and I'm sorry to see Andrew eliminated. on the first day.  Austin did get a lucky break  in that Andrew and Lilly both missed their DD.  I know many probably hated it but I got a kick out of his virtual around the world trip.   

• Love 5

Dammit, Andrew!  If you hadn't bet so much on that DD and then missed it, you probably would have won easily!  And we wouldn't be made to suffer through two more days of Smug Chewbacca! 

I knew the town was Hamlin, but I didn't know there was a VP named Hamlin.

• Love 12
25 minutes ago, Bliss said:

It certainly wasn't his best game, and I couldn't help thinking that all the people who find him 'annoying' probably need to make a dental appointment to check the new wear and tear from gritting their teeth :)

OMG I hate him. I missed the intro but saw the idiotic “dancing” during the FJ music and I just want to hit him.  Not in a felonious way, just enough to make him cut it out.

Also he needs to quit the extraneous noises because he irritates me.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

Close game.  And close=good.

For FJ I immediately thought about the pied piper.  I couldn't remember the VP's first name but they would have given it to me with just the last name.

You did better than I did. I thought of the Pied Piper but couldn't remember Hamlin. Then I also asked myself, "Who was Lincoln's VP?" and couldn't remember that either. So I was on the right tracks - both of them - but came up with nothing.

Andrew blew his game up with that Daily Double and the impala. I was thinking Thomson's Gazelle but, alas, "Thomsonville" was incorrect haha. Having lived in NY for many years, what made me hop on Austin's bandwagon was when he described the automobile trip around the world, "... and I'm doing it all with New York plates."

Edited by Tabasco Cat
  • Love 3

So happy Austin won although Andrew obviously knew more.

My kids were screaming for Austin. They were so so so happy. I think my daughter might have a little crush which is hilariously cute. She had to leave the room for FJ because she was terrified he would lose.

He always makes me laugh. His trip around the world was hilarious. He brings life to Jeopardy. I did like Andrew too though.

• Love 9

Andrew was so winning this, then he bet a strong amount on that DD to clinch his win. But when the clue was a photo of an antelope-type animal, I knew he was screwed. Jeopardy players typically tank on animal/livestock categories. And Lily also bet a strong DD amount, and immediately knew she misspoke with "radius." I wish she would have heard me shouting "CIRCUMFERENCE!" If the players could hear me, Austin heard me telling him to STFU with his crappy loooooooong around-the-world story that I could care less about. Plus he also heard me say, "Eff you" at the very end when he was again displaying his jackassery. IMO, he was the worst player of the three and only won by default. I'm so disgusted he's going to be on my teevee yet again. He most certainly has proven himself to NOT be "the smartest person in the world." Just the luckiest.

• Love 11

Ok, I think it’s a little harsh to say Austin was only lucky. He played a strong first round tonight and didn’t get any of the daily doubles to pad his score. It’s certainly not his fault the others screwed up. Lilly does everything way too fast and is in general a walking nervous tic and Andrew, while he has the broadest knowledge base, screwed up by going for a kill shot. It happens.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

He most certainly has proven himself to NOT be "the smartest person in the world." Just the luckiest.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Seriously, though, it's the strangest thing. There were nights during Austin's run when I didn't even watch Jeopardy! just because he was still on. And now I'm rooting for him to go all the way. I do understand, though, how he bothers a lot of people because I used to be one of them. Very strange.

• Love 3

Same here. Jeopardy! seems to ask about VPs a lot so maybe I'll study up. For TS I got magnet school and Megadeth. 

I'm so bummed Andrew blew it with that hefty DD wager. I was hoping he, Austin and Jason would make it to the final, then I'd be happy whoever won.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
because people don't as, they ask
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

OMG I hate him. I missed the intro but saw the idiotic “dancing” during the FJ music and I just want to hit him.  Not in a felonious way, just enough to make him cut it out.

Also he needs to quit the extraneous noises because he irritates me.

We know it's his shtick and he's not going to give it up. We have two more days of it at the end of the week. What annoyed me was responding "Uh huh" to AT when asked if he got "Hamlin" and again with respect to his wager. Normally people don't verbally respond to it and let their answer speak for itself. Of course, Austin isn't your normal type of player either. 

Just now, Conotocarious said:

Ok, I think it’s a little harsh to say Austin was only lucky. He played a strong first round tonight and didn’t get any of the daily doubles to pad his score. It’s certainly not his fault the others screwed up. Lilly does everything way too fast and is in general a walking nervous tic and Andrew, while he has the broadest knowledge base, screwed up by going for a kill shot. It happens.

Agreed. While it didn't work out for him, I do respect Andrew making a big DD wager. 

I guessed Hamlin thinking of the Pied-piper vaguely remembering a VP but it wasn't an instaget by any means. 

• Love 5

Damn it all to hell!  Not only did Smug Narcissistic Chewbacca beat my favorite, Andrew, but he was a supreme douche throughout the game.  His dancing and wisecracks aren't cute.  I hope he goes down in flames in the final, even if Buzzy, whom I also can't stand, beats him.

I got Labrador, grey, Roma Downey, and rifle.

I was absolutely clueless for FJ.

• Love 13

I couldn’t believe no one got Megadeth. That was me screaming at the TV.

One thing I like about Austin is he knows better than most when not to buzz in. So while the others hit some and miss some, he is really good about knowing what he doesn’t know. It sure paid off for him tonight and even in his quarterfinal game. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Conotocarious said:

One thing I like about Austin is he knows better than most when not to buzz in. So while the others hit some and miss some, he is really good about knowing what he doesn’t know. 

Over at Reddit, they were talking about Austin's relative low level of activity in this game, and Lily (the real Lily) chimed in that after the game Austin admitted he hoped Andrew and Lily would "run a scorched earth campaign against each other".  Which sort of happened with the missed DDs in DJ.

Lily also speculated that Austin "got spooked by how much Alan was crushing him in the QFs and wanted to dial back his game."

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Roaster said:

Over at Reddit, they were talking about Austin's relative low level of activity in this game, and Lily (the real Lily) chimed in that after the game Austin admitted he hoped Andrew and Lily would "run a scorched earth campaign against each other".  Which sort of happened with the missed DDs in DJ.

Lily also speculated that Austin "got spooked by how much Alan was crushing him in the QFs and wanted to dial back his game."

So interesting! It was a good strategy. And I bet Lilly is right that Austin got spooked by Alan. Alan tore it up. I like that Austin tried to figure out how to work around the more intimidating players. It may not win him the tournament but I like that he has strategy beyond the typical Jeopardy strategy of try to answer everything and bet 2-3 thousand if you get a DD.

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 6

Austin really did not play that well despite winning. 

And I have found him much less annoying this tournament, though I could have done without his long story about travelling around the word and specifics of how he would do it.

I don't think it was any sort of strategy, I think he just didn't know the answers.  He just got lucky on the large missed DD bet by Andrew and was able to hold a slim lead going into FJ.  If Andrew bets even $2000 less on the DD he likely wins this one.  Andrew outplayed him most of the game. 

I think he will get beat handily in the finals. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

My first thought was the children were Hansel & Gretel, but then I realized that a town wasn't mentioned. So I thought of Hamlin. But then for a second I thought that was in Ireland. But THEN I realized I was thinking about St Patrick and the snakes. So THEN I went back to Hamlin even though I had no idea who the VP was.

2 hours ago, Tabasco Cat said:

Andrew blew his game up with that Daily Double and the impala. I was thinking Thomson's Gazelle but, alas, "Thomsonville" was incorrect haha. 

I wasn't sure what kind of antelope it was. Impala? Eland? Gazelle? From Gazelle I went to Giza, even though that's not a capital. So.. I had nothing.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

And Lily also bet a strong DD amount, and immediately knew she misspoke with "radius." I wish she would have heard me shouting "CIRCUMFERENCE!"

She also misspoke with missionary instead of mission.

I got (On Top of) the World, Roma Downey, and rife/rifle.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

I think my daughter might have a little crush which is hilariously cute. She had to leave the room for FJ because she was terrified he would lose.

I know the feeling, although not with Jeopardy. (See my avatar and think 7th game of 2016 World Series.) You must be doing a great job as a parent if your kids (1) watch, (2) care, and (3) emote about Jeopardy.

• Love 7

Was actually pretty surprised at how lackluster that game was considering I thought those were the best contestants in the tournament (plus Alan). But makes me more excited to see how the rest of the week plays out. Thinking we might actually see an Alan upset where he wins the whole thing.

• Love 2

Neither Andrew or Lilly bet something in the DD that would finish off Austin so I find the idea that Austin only won through luck odd. Andrews bet would have given him a lead but most of the board was avaliable and Lilly bet to still have a tight lead over Austin who was up by more than 2k over both  at the time of Lilly's bet.

• Love 4

I think I've just come to accept that Austin is the way he is, for the sake of my blood pressure. It was a good game, and I was rooting for Andrew, but I'm fine with the outcome. If I were a betting woman, I'd put my money on Alan, but with good players you can't ever count out anyone. Was there a teen champ in this tournament, or do they not get invited to TOCs?

My gets were magnet, The World, Roma Downey, and the missed DD of circumference of the earth. I didn't get FJ but should have. Like others, I need to brush up on my VPs, but I do know Hannibal Hamlin. I just didn't make the connection in time.

• Love 1

Well, bugger.  I swear, if the final includes both Austin and Buzzy, I'm not watching it since I'd find no enjoyment in watching those two compete to see who's the bigger hipster douchebag.

14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Dammit, Andrew!  If you hadn't bet so much on that DD and then missed it, you probably would have won easily!  And we wouldn't be made to suffer through two more days of Smug Chewbacca! 

I suck at Vice President categories, but Hannibal Hamlin is one of the few I actually know.  Don't know who his president was, though; Lincoln, maybe?

• Love 3

I do find Austin somewhat annoying but I like his gameplay. He's not a board-jumper, and I like that he starts at the top to figure out what they are going for with the clues. I know board-jumping is legal and all that, but it seems like bad gameplay to me unless time is running out. You hop in the middle and get a DD without having a sense of the category, especially those ones that are puns or putting words together (I HATE those). 
Anyway, for this game I was kind of rooting for Austin. He did play the best game. 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

I do find Austin somewhat annoying but I like his gameplay. He's not a board-jumper, and I like that he starts at the top to figure out what they are going for with the clues. I know board-jumping is legal and all that, but it seems like bad gameplay to me unless time is running out. You hop in the middle and get a DD without having a sense of the category, especially those ones that are puns or putting words together (I HATE those). 
Anyway, for this game I was kind of rooting for Austin. He did play the best game. 

LOL... "somewhat annoying" - agreed! I can't help but admire him for his smarts and for all his great qualities (and the way he starts at the top of the category)! I do wish he'd exhibit gratitude at being a contestant by smiling when the camera pans him at the beginning of the show. I don't care if he mimes - doesn't bother me - however, playing the bored/sleepy role seems disrespectful. Just my opinion.

Agreed that Austin played well - he was much more cautious than he'd been during the regular games (and played wisely in that he had few misses)... however, I think Andrew outplayed him (answered more) and unfortunately "lost" the game by his huge wager and then answering his last DJ question incorrectly. Had he known the answer, it might have been a different outcome. Lilly just seemed to be on high-speed throughout the game and I think it played against her.

I totally agree with you about the "bad gameplay". I especially wonder why contestants jump the board at the very beginning of the game - the only reason can be that they're looking for the DJ, right? What's the point when they have no money to wager? (Other than as a defensive move, and not wanting their opponents to get the DJ.)

• Love 7