Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

The TS I got were Silver Linings Playbook & Dangerous Liaisons (of course Alex had to say it in French). I am surprised that when Ellen answered with the English pronunciation of foyer, he didn't repeat it in French.

Ran the stamp category (my paternal grandfather collected stamps & I inherited his collection), but missed the rhyme about my beloved (if 0-2 Saints). In my defense (no pun intended...ha), I know little to nothing about fencing.

No clue about FJ. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

I guessed Enos for FJ. No idea why. At least I've heard of Enos.

I didn't catch where the new champ was from, but I did get a laugh out her answer of "Jefferson Davis" in her very strong Southern accent.

She's from Longview, TX, located in east Texas not too far from Shreveport, LA.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Bazinga said:

I do not think legal is an acceptable alternative for paralegal.

I totally agree. That one should have been ruled incorrect.

As an Eagles fan (poor me), I tried to imagine what they'd rhyme with Eagles and thought if it came up it would be beagles.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

What did the previous champ answer that was ruled incorrect?  I though she said Dangerous Liaisons.

She said Cruel Intentions. It was based on Dangerous Liaisons, so she was on the right track!

• Love 3
16 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I knew that because it's Snoopy's dog house! 

"Curse you, Red Baron!" - Snoopy

Snoopy is the only reason I knew it was a Sopwith Camel! I don't think I've ever heard of the Camel in any other context!

• Love 4
18 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

I guessed Enos for FJ. No idea why. At least I've heard of Enos.

That's in the Book of Mormon - I googled it because I had never heard of it, and was wondering just how behind I am on my bible books!

Other bible books I have never heard of: Hosea, Nahum, Habakkuk, Haggai, Zephaniah (all old testament).

Hey, I'm just an atheist who used to teach Sunday School - I still think bible-related questions would be at the bottom of my list of 'preferred categories' if I was ever on Jeopardy.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Fex said:

She said Cruel Intentions. It was based on Dangerous Liaisons, so she was on the right track!

It was actually "inspired by" Dangerous Liaisons, as the movie credits put it.  I remember thinking that was funny when I saw the movie with a friend.  It was such a trashy (but enjoyable in many ways) teen movie rip off, they would not even say the usual phrase "based on" but instead used the more vague "inspired by". 

• Love 2

I am fully aware it is wrong to objectify people but oh beautiful Farhad.  Be still my heart.

He was a hottie! Becky's a great player but I was hoping to get a second week of Farhad.

For TS I got Quasimodo, Grambling, Thailand, and Jeff Lynne. For FJ I started with Wild Turkey then figured I know more colas than whiskies, so I came upon Royal Crown cola pretty quickly. But how were they accepting either Crown Royal OR Royal Crown when the clue said "Reverse the 2 words in The name of this Canadian Whisky brand..."??

I also didn't think England and the UK were interchangeable... 

• Love 5

Congrats to Becky.  Farhad was some nice eye candy.  Very nice.

The only TS I got was Jeff Lynne.

FJ was an instaget but they asked for the Canadian whiskey so they should have only accepted Crown Royal.

22 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I also didn't think England and the UK were interchangeable... 

They're not.  Alex was smoking crack when he said that.  England is one of the countries that make up the UK.

I think he was dying because he couldn't break out his full on Dracula accent during the Transylvania category and he was dying to.

• Love 9
47 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

For TS I got Quasimodo, Grambling, Thailand, and Jeff Lynne. For FJ I started with Wild Turkey then figured I know more colas than whiskies, so I came upon Royal Crown cola pretty quickly. But how were they accepting either Crown Royal OR Royal Crown when the clue said "Reverse the 2 words in The name of this Canadian Whisky brand..."??

Got Jeff Lynne and Thailand. 

tt took me a while to remember what the RC in RC Cola stood for and it dawned on me after about 5 seconds or so. You're right, the answer was clearly to reverse the Royal Crown (RC) Cola to Crown Royal. 

47 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Becky's a great player but I was hoping to get a second week of Farhad.

22 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I'm guessing that you sweet talking women (ELO reference) were too distracted by Farhad to realize that the winner's name is Betsy not Becky. 

Well, had he gone all in, he would have won. I'm not sure what Betsy's wager was supposed to be. And yes, he probably should have won anyway as Betsy actually responded "Royal Crown" and put the correct response parenthetically. Jeopardy! has really been forgiving about these things. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 5

Alex was killing me with the accent tonight!  I was glad when we finished those categories.  

Farhad was nice to look at, but lost me when he started starting at the bottoms of categories.

TS I got include chevron, the sun, and as a wild guess, Quasimodo.  Just because it fit the clue.  I had no idea there was an actual person named Quasimodo.

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

The only TS I got was Jeff Lynne.

FJ was an instaget but they asked for the Canadian whiskey so they should have only accepted Crown Royal.

They're not.  Alex was smoking crack when he said that.  England is one of the countries that make up the UK.

I think he was dying because he couldn't break out his full on Dracula accent during the Transylvania category and he was dying to.

I don't usually do this but I totally agree about Farhad. He was gorgeous. Also he won me over with the story about his dog.

I also agree that they should have only accepted Crown Royal (I had never heard of "Royal Crown" so I missed FJ)

You just referred to England as a country, and the clue was asking for a country. I think that is why it was accepted. It is a country that is part of a kingdom. It's not considered a sovereign country, but the clue was not so detailed/specific.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, secnarf said:

You just referred to England as a country, and the clue was asking for a country. I think that is why it was accepted. It is a country that is part of a kingdom. It's not considered a sovereign country, but the clue was not so detailed/specific.

I didn't have a problem with it either. I would have accepted it too. 

• Love 1

Farhad said England, then Alex for some reason added, "England? United Kingdom. Yeah." Why? 

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

HA! You're probably right. Thanks for making me giggle.

I wasn't paying attention thruout the entire game -- I need to stop surfing while I watch -- but the only TS I got was Thailand, which was basically a guess. I thought of The King and I to get there.

• Love 2

Seriously someone should have stormed the stage to silence Alex and his stupid accent.

Even though RC popped into my head I didnt thinl of Crown Royal and just assumed there was a Club Canadian soda I had never heard of before. 

• Love 5

Add me to he Farhad fan club. Handsome & cute dog story. I would be willing to overlook the starting at he bottom of categories & jumping around to keep him around for a while. 

I ran the Men In Hats, Ditlords, & Super Bowl Half Time Show categories.

TS I got were sun; Quasimodo; Grambling; Thailand; Jeff Lynne

I could have sworn that Dennis was the older Quaid brother. 

FJ was an instaget for Dr. Toothbrush, but he is a huge fan of Crown Royal. I completely forgot that it is Canadian.

3 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

You know it! 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, tvaddict44 said:

I thought diploids were going to be awful, but it was the only category where I got all of them...

It's actually ditloids (clues made from abbreviations), but as a biomedical scientist I thought of diploids too (having two complete copies of chromosomes in the cell). 

I got them all as well, but I needed the visual to see what he meant. He said: N 10 D S (Number 10 Downing Street) but I heard it as "Entiendas" which means you understand in Spanish. Well, I actually didn't understand until I saw it.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Seriously someone should have stormed the stage to silence Alex and his stupid accent.

Someone should storm out every.single.time to silence any accent.

I'm beginning to think he had it written in his contract that there MUST be clues which he can read with a French accent at least twice a week, with the word "genre" thrown in for kicks and giggles.

That's bad enough. Other accents? Please stop. STOP.

• Love 7

I almost forgot!  When the "Fishy Movie" category came up, I immediately shouted "A Fish Called Wanda"!  It's one of my favorite movies, so  I was happy to see that it was, in fact, an answer. Although technically, Kevin Kline shoved chips up Michael Palin's nose, not french fries -- he even waxed poetic about the chip before doing so.

• Love 7

Mr. Pallida is not as broad in his trivia knowledge as I am, and his brain went to RC for FJ and was trying to figure out what it stood for. I scoffed and said no in a snotty tone because I thought the C in RC was for cola. And then I ate my humble pie... I had no idea that Crown Royal was Canadian. I have fond memories of a Crown Royal purple bag being the penny bag for playing card games, including poker, with my grandmother when I was young though!

• Love 4

I usually drink a  Crown Royal and ginger ale when I get home from work to unwind as I watch Jeopardy, but I was grading papers last night so I didn't indulge. Therefore, I missed an opportunity to answer Crown Royal while actually drinking it. Oh well... (I made up for it later.)

I didn't write down my TS gets, but I was surprised at how much I knew about the dreaded Transylvania category, and, yes, Alex needs to lose that terrible accent yesterday.

• Love 5
On ‎09‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:06 PM, Fex said:

When I was in Turkey, our tour guide said that Istanbul is the only capital spanning two continents. The Bosphorus strait, which runs through Istanbul, is considered the Asia/Europe border.

Ankara is the capital of Turkey, not Istanbul.  Don't hire that tour guide again.

• Love 9
On ‎09‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:54 PM, Toothbrush said:

The TS I got were Silver Linings Playbook & Dangerous Liaisons (of course Alex had to say it in French). I am surprised that when Ellen answered with the English pronunciation of foyer, he didn't repeat it in French.

It's a French book, so Les Liasions Dangereuses is the actual title.

16 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Even though RC popped into my head I didnt thinl of Crown Royal and just assumed there was a Club Canadian soda I had never heard of before. 

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I love Alex's accents.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Ankara is the capital of Turkey, not Istanbul.  Don't hire that tour guide again.

Lol, typo! Thanks for catching it. We went to Ankara on that tour, as well. Fixed my post.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm not always a fan of his accents but he was having such fun with it last night that it really amused me.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It's a French book, so Les Liasions Dangereuses is the actual title.

Good point about the book title.

2 hours ago, Trey said:

I'm not always a fan of his accents but he was having such fun with it last night that it really amused me.

I agree, and will cut him some slack since he did restrain himself for the most part during the Transylvania category. I know he has said how much he loves this job, and is grateful for it, but I can imagine that after 33 years he needs a little something to amuse himself. 

• Love 2

Shame on the other 2 contestants for coming up with NOTHING for FJ!!! They couldn't think of any state that has a B in its name??? Aren't there only 2 (Nebraska & Alabama)? They had a 50/50 shot of getting it right!

• Love 10
32 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Shame on the other 2 contestants for coming up with NOTHING for FJ!!! They couldn't think of any state that has a B in its name??? Aren't there only 2 (Nebraska & Alabama)? They had a 50/50 shot of getting it right!

Agreed. Can't believe they had no answers. I was also surprised no one got Mrs Malaprop.

I thought the alphabetically next state capitals category was really hard, but Alberta????!!! Not even a city.... yikes!

• Love 5

Yeah, I came up with FJ by thinking of states with an E as the second letter in the abbreviation, then with a B, so Nebraska came to me pretty quickly. 

I was also surprised no one came up with Mrs. Malaprop.  I also got cutthroat, acrylic, and antipodal.  

I couldn't think fast enough for the state capitals category.  However, I never would have guessed Alberta!

• Love 2

That lady saying Alberta (WTF) earlier got me stuck on Alberta for FJ but I couldn't think of a state that fit.  I was able to meander on to New Brunswick...aha, Nebraska! in time.

There was a TS that I got in DJ that I remarked to my husband I was disappointed that Jeopardy! contestants didn't know but now I cannot remember what it was.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Yeah, I came up with FJ by thinking of states with an E as the second letter in the abbreviation, then with a B, so Nebraska came to me pretty quickly. 

I couldn't think fast enough for the state capitals category.  However, I never would have guessed Alberta!

Got Nebraska too. I've been to New Brunswick (NB), so that helped. 

Those state capitals were tricky and took a bit to think of, but I did get Columbus, Montpelier Annapolis, and Des Moines. I know the clue was after Albany, but Alberta is neither a capital nor even a US state. It's also landlocked so there's nowhere to ship off to.  

For antipodal, I said antipodes. Would they count that? At least it's 9 letters unlike antimeridian. 

That British playwright category was just bad for me. I didn't know any of them after Marlowe.

Saucy dance is not a term I'd use to describe twerking.  

Got Libby Dole and cutthroat along with a few others I can't think of right now. 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

Saucy dance is not a term I'd use to describe twerking.  

And thank goodness Alex didn't really try to give us a demonstration!  It was bad enough that he shook his shoulders a little bit.

• Love 7

Once again my Fifty Nifty United States song memorization from 5th grade came in handy.  Just go through all the states and pick out Nebraska. 

2 hours ago, illdoc said:

I guess you are right.  Hard to believe there are only two states that have a B in their name. 

• Love 4

I missed the episode due to a DVR issue (that I suspect is related more to the local affiliate than anything else), but I did look up FJ. I was halfway through reading the clue and said Alabama, only to continue reading and realize that it had to have an E. I couldn't think of anything else that might start with an A, so I moved on to New Brunswick and immediately said Nebraska...and then proceeded to be confused as to why Nebraska would have "NE" as an abbreviation. Apparently all this lack of sleep is getting to me, because it's pretty obvious.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Once again my Fifty Nifty United States song memorization from 5th grade came in handy.  Just go through all the states and pick out Nebraska. 

I guess you are right.  Hard to believe there are only two states that have a B in their name. 

I also had to memorize a song naming the states in elementary school and that's how I got this. That song comes in handy in all kinds of games. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

That lady saying Alberta (WTF) earlier got me stuck on Alberta for FJ but I couldn't think of a state that fit.  I was able to meander on to New Brunswick...aha, Nebraska! in time..

Ah, so THAT'S why I couldn't get Alberta out of my head during FJ. I was working backwards, trying to come up with the state from the presumption that Alberta was the province mentioned.

I loved Betsy's description of the trout in the lake (or river?) feeling like a mattress of fish. Nice visual. Yucky, but nice.

For TSs I got cutthroat, tree hugging, Des Moines, and Mrs. Malaprop, as well as Elizabeth Dole for the DD. For the "saucy dance" clue, I thought they were going for something punny, like salsa or... soy. You know, that crazy soy dance.

I don't think I've ever heard of Black Wednesday.

I need to learn of Gilbert & Sullivan who writes the music and who the libretto.

• Love 3

Lots of gets for me. I must have liked the categories. 

Cutthroat,  twerking, Des Moines, Annapolis, Dole, and Pinter.

I got FJ by concentrating on Canadian provinces instead of states. It seemed an easier way for me to approach it.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, secnarf said:

I missed the episode due to a DVR issue (that I suspect is related more to the local affiliate than anything else), but I did look up FJ. I was halfway through reading the clue and said Alabama, only to continue reading and realize that it had to have an E. I couldn't think of anything else that might start with an A, so I moved on to New Brunswick and immediately said Nebraska...and then proceeded to be confused as to why Nebraska would have "NE" as an abbreviation. Apparently all this lack of sleep is getting to me, because it's pretty obvious.

I kept getting stuck on BC (British Columbia) and couldn't get it out of my head.  Then I would try to look at states, but I just couldn't figure out an E state.  Ran around in circles mentally until the reveal.  If I'd started with provinces, it MIGHT have been better, but somehow having BC so prominently in my mind stuck me.

• Love 2

So (ha!) who do we think the big Hollywood actress in Justin's story was? I am thinking Scarlett Johansson or Julia Roberts. 

I'm shocked that tonsils was a $1,000 answer is a throat category. More like $200-$400 I would think. 

TS I got were Elizabeth Dole (missed DD), woe, & Gilbert. The state capital thread was difficult - I only got Columbus & Annapolis, but at least knew that Alberta is not a US state capital! 

I also got stuck on Alabama for FJ, despite no "e",  and blame Julie(?) for her answer of Alberta in the state capital category. The irony is that we are going to NE for a wedding next weekend, and I added Omaha to my weather app not 2 hours before watching. 

Betsy reminds me of the actress who plays Dot on Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 2