Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I was rooting for Wes (although the Lavender answer for Macaroni made it tough).

I liked Michelle despite the attempted accent and weird pronunciation of mimeograph [any other mature individuals remember how good they smelled?]  She knew Dance Ten, Looks Three also known as the T & A song.  She got lucky with the Alexander Graham Bell category since Brantford and Paris are a hop, skip and a jump from Toronto.

Finally Prevailing Wind, Bill Sykes' song scared the crap out of me when I was a kid but Oompa Pah is the song stick in my head (with lyrics I shouldn't have know as a kid).

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Brookside said:

Regarding the Agatha Christie clue, do you think they would have allowed the original "Ten Little ------" title?

If a contestant answered the original title (which has a bad word in it), J! certainly would not show the response on air.  I thought about that when I saw the clue.  I am surprised J! put that clue in and took the risk of having to throw out an entire game in case of an embarrassing response.

• Love 4

I was sad to see Wes go, but I like Michelle & her story. Kids in my family are introduced to the original Star Wars trilogy at age 6 also. Johanna was ok too (we also did not hear "what is"), so any of the 3 winning would have been fine, with an edge to Wes. 

TS I got were Norman Bates, Adam Sandler, Trojan War, parabola, Tenderness. FJ was an instaget.

11 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I  I'd have liked Stel to win, for purely shallow reasons.

He was very handsome. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Brookside said:

Regarding the Agatha Christie clue, do you think they would have allowed the original "Ten Little ------" title?

IIRC, the question was about the movie, which has never used the original title. I would hope that anyone with enough brains to be on Jeopardy! would know better than to say it.

6 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Finally Prevailing Wind, Bill Sykes' song scared the crap out of me when I was a kid but Oompa Pah is the song stick in my head (with lyrics I shouldn't have know as a kid).

I didn't even realize up until now that Bill Sykes had a song, since it wasn't in the 1968 movie.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Brookside said:

I thought the same thing, although I believe that title has been officially changed.  I’m sure the original is a collectible.

• Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I liked Michelle despite the attempted accent and weird pronunciation of mimeograph [any other mature individuals remember how good they smelled?]

I never liked the smell, myself. I also never liked new car smell.

8 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I was sad to see Wes go, but I like Michelle & her story. Kids in my family are introduced to the original Star Wars trilogy at age 6 also. Johanna was ok too (we also did not hear "what is"), so any of the 3 winning would have been fine, with an edge to Wes.

We introduced our kids to the original trilogy prior to taking them to see The Phantom Menace when they were 10 and 6. My youngest, after the lights came up, said something like:  "Darth Maul's not so great - he died in the first film, Darth Vader was in three films!"

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I want to say Johanna reminded me of one of Kate McKinnon's characters on SNL, but I can't think of which one. 

The cat lady?

Didn't we talk about the difference betw mimeographs and ditto machines fairly recently? Or am I thinking of another forum I post at?

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't listen to the interviews but I thought Michelle's interview went on forever.  Missed the introductions so I didn't know until later that she's Canadian.  We pronounce mimeograph the correct way up here in Canada - I think it was just before her time and she had only ever seen the word in print. Although rules of phonics should have told her how it is pronounced.

Didn't we talk about the difference betw mimeographs and ditto machines fairly recently? Or am I thinking of another forum I post at?

It was this forum.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 5
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Trey said:

Although rules of phonics should have told her how it is pronounced.

If only kids were still taught phonics. It was invaluable to me as a kid, we had drill cards and everything. But I don't think it's as emphasized in current curriculum, and hasn't been for a while. At least that's my impression from my kids' education. Teachers on the forum, do you still teach phonics?

I could see her pronunciation coming from "mime - ograph", myself.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Also, I did not hear a "What is" when she answered the inertia clue, so it doesn't hurt my feelings that she lost.

This!  We rewound several times and did not hear the "What is.... at all".  And a few of her other answers were very suspect as well. If I were competing against her, that would infuriate me!  I'm glad she didn't win.  

I didn't keep track, but I knew quite a few answers last night, including FJ, which is definitely not a commentary on my intelligence but, rather, an indicator that the questions were easy!  LOL!

I'm a little confused regarding the "Ten Little ......." answer. If that's the name of the book, why is it not an acceptable answer?  Would you just expect all contestants to stay silent to avoid saying the word?  What if the questions were about the Cleveland baseball team or the Cherokee tribe?  Should they be silent then as well? 

One other question from this newbie:  what does "TS" stand for?

• Love 3
(edited)
50 minutes ago, Julia67 said:

I'm a little confused regarding the "Ten Little ......." answer. If that's the name of the book, why is it not an acceptable answer?  Would you just expect all contestants to stay silent to avoid saying the word?  What if the questions were about the Cleveland baseball team or the Cherokee tribe?  Should they be silent then as well

That's not the original title.  The original original title was "Ten Little N-words" (except, of course, it wasn't phrased as "N-words").  This was also the original version of the nursery rhyme on which the title was based.

Many people don't know that about Christie's book. For those who do, it seems like a clue that was fraught with peril!  I wonder if the Jeopardy! writers were even aware of it?

Edited by MrAtoz
Corrected capitalization
  • Love 12
12 minutes ago, Julia67 said:

One other question from this newbie:  what does "TS" stand for?

Triple stumper.  None of the three contestants answered correctly or attempted an answer.

Here's a thread with abbreviations commonly used here.  I had to use it a lot when I first started reading/commenting here because I kept forgetting what BMS was.  Now I remember.  

• Love 2
14 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Congrats to Michelle, but mime-o-graph?  Is that how it's pronounced in Canada? 

Even worse, I heard "mom-eograph". 

I didn't like her at all.  I got a very phony, affected vibe from her.  Like she was surprised when she got an easy one, and ho-hum at the difficult ones.

Ditto machines were also called spirit duplicators.  Corrections were made with a razor blade.  Fun in high school!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

We had an extended discussion here about mimeograph vs. ditto, and most of y'all were on the ditto train and wouldn't acknowledge the mimeo as existing. It was all very sad for me, who was one of the chosen allowed to run the mimeograph. I didn't think one way or the other about the smell, but all the kids in class LOVED getting their fresh mimeo  handouts. It looked like the entire class was filming a Downy fabric softener commercial.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

hat's not the original title.  The original original title was "Ten Little N-words" (except, of course, it wasn't phrased as "N-words").  This was also the original version of the nursery rhyme on which the title was based.

Ahh, thank you.  I apologize for my confusion.  I appreciate you clarifying.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

Ditto machines were also called spirit duplicators.  Corrections were made with a razor blade.  Fun in high school!

Remember using razor blades to splice film?  How did we survive?

Memories like these make me feel for today's teachers who have to be ultra-vigilant about everything they do and say due to rules, regulations, potential lawsuits, helicopter parents etc.  I have such fond memories of awesome chemistry experiments.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I have such fond memories of awesome chemistry experiments.

I have of my chemistry lab partner. This is after he was arrested with dynamite getting ready to blow up a local reservoir. I probably got my A for bravery despite acing all the tests lol. 

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I have of my chemistry lab partner. This is after he was arrested with dynamite getting ready to blow up a local reservoir. I probably got my A for bravery despite acing all the tests lol. 

Exactly what I'm talking about.  We are depriving our children of exciting and meaningful careers.

• Love 10

@Prevailing Wind, I can't decide whether I'm sorry or grateful that was cut from the film...but leading toward grateful because I don't think Oliver Reed could have carried the tune. Or any tune. Although, to be fair, I never heard him sing. He was quite convincingly thuggish as Sykes, though (and the best Athos ever).

• Love 4

Welp, here's my kneejerk reaction to Michelle: I don't like her. The English accent, the endless intro story, mime-ograph. She also strikes me as thinking she's adorable. (I seem to have trouble with self-referential contestants.) Mr Mookster said he thought I have a problem with women, until I pointed out the many men I've withered from my couch. I also think Alex was smitten with her, which is always a black mark. I too pre-guessed Jaws.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

TS I got were Norman Bates, Adam Sandler, Trojan War, parabola, Tenderness. FJ was an instaget.

I didn't get parabola (ugh, math & science) but did get the rest. 

19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

macaroni, just from the "feather in your cap" part of the clue. 

Me too.

19 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got drive drunk (DD),

I well remember that ad campaign.

18 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Got those also along with metal detector. 

I also got that one.  I cringed when I saw the AGB category since my disastrous FJ was about him, but then I ran it anyway.  I knew the metal detector answer because he used it to try and locate the bullet in James Garfield's body after the president was shot.  Turns out all he located were the wires in the mattress underneath Garfield.  It was probably too late anyway, because the attending doctor had already stuck dirty fingers inside the wound multiple times searching for the bullet, ultimately causing the infection which killed the president.

Something was up with my satellite reception at the beginning of Jeopardy and I missed a whole category.  Boo-hiss!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, mookster said:

Welp, here's my kneejerk reaction to Michelle: I don't like her. The English accent, the endless intro story, mime-ograph. She also strikes me as thinking she's adorable. (I seem to have trouble with self-referential contestants.) Mr Mookster said he thought I have a problem with women, until I pointed out the many men I've withered from my couch. I also think Alex was smitten with her, which is always a black mark. I too pre-guessed Jaws.

Watching her again today, trying to figure out why she rubbed me the wrong way -- I think it's the body language, the way she dips her shoulder and leans in -- it's almost flirtatious, when flirting isn't appropriate.

On the other hand, it could be that I'm jealous.  Gal's got gorgeous hair. 

• Love 2

How?!!! How do you misinterpret: This slang term for an environmentalist is literally true of groups that used passive resistance vs. deforestation, as in India in 1973 in order to come up with "Carl Sagan"??????? 

• Love 19
(edited)
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

How?!!! How do you misinterpret: This slang term for an environmentalist is literally true of groups that used passive resistance vs. deforestation, as in India in 1973 in order to come up with "Carl Sagan"??????? 

Where did this come from? Did I miss it this week.  I assume tree hugger was the correct answer.

ETA: I am so very sorry I posted this response without spoiler tags - when I did post I was suffering from the delusion that today is Saturday. I hope nobody came in here and was spoiled by my thoughtless post.

Edited by Trey
Huge apology!!!
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, Trey said:

I assume tree hugger was the correct answer.

Yes. Not only that, but he initially wrote "tree hugger" and crossed it out in order to write "Carl Sagan" (it was today's FJ, btw). He was leading going into FJ and when the other two contestants' answers were revealed, he made a face which Alex commented on and that's when he said "I misinterpreted the question".

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I don't know. I mean Carl Sagan wasn't even mainly known as being an environmentalist, either, so it's doubly confusing.

I liked all the contestants today. I didn't like Michelle yesterday but was fine with her today. I think she just IS kind of a cutesy person, but not in a contrived way.

• Love 7

Funny, I disliked Michelle more today, but that was mostly because of her intro.  And I had to laugh when Vincent got bleeped.  Nice wager by him for that DD that put him in the lead, too bad he screwed up FJ so royally.  But again, WTF with Michelle's wager?

FJ was an instaget for me -- I may or may not resemble that term.  :)

And in other WTFery, how do you not guess Tucson after Phoenix has been ruled out as a city in Arizona?  Even if you aren't sure?  I got that one, of course, along with pagoda, International Space Station, and crew/Krewe. 

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

And in other WTFery, how do you not guess Tucson after Phoenix has been ruled out as a city in Arizona?  Even if you aren't sure? 

Don’t they have an ASU in Tempe? Anyway Michelle still reigns. I got all three DD’s, Tucson, Pagota, International Space Station, crew/Krewe and Known Associates. I also got a laugh when Vincent got bleeped and Michelle’s chimed in that she thought that it would have been her. Of course Alex stated that wasn’t an acceptable 4 letter word. It never is on Network TV. Could someone please explain to me how Vincent misread the clue to come up with Carl Sagan? I thought that FJ was pretty straight forward. (I did Blind guess Tweet but knew it was wrong as soon as I saw the clue...ah well). 

• Love 6

Michelle better clean up her FJ Wagering or its going to end up costing her sooner or later and who knows might even a TOC Spot cause she been very good in both her games just don't know how to wager.

• Love 6
(edited)
Just now, Browncoat said:

Yes, but the clue was about the University of Arizona, which is in Tucson. 

Ah, my bad. Thanks. Funny how I still got Tucson although something in my brain was niggling me about Tempe. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Could someone please explain to me how Vincent misread the clue to come up with Carl Sagan?

Yeah, that whole thing was weird. Reading the question, writing down the correct answer, then rereading it and going from tree hugger to Carl Sagan??

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Could someone please explain to me how Vincent misread the clue to come up with Carl Sagan? I thought that FJ was pretty straight forward. (I did Blind guess Tweet but knew it was wrong as soon as I saw the clue...ah well). 

This. I only saw FJ, but I can hardly believe what I just saw. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Argh!!  Thanks for nothin', Bryan.

Tonight I got pagoda and International Space Station.  Tree hugger was out of my mouth before the end of the clue was read. I have no idea where Vincent came up with Carl Sagan.

10 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

If only kids were still taught phonics. It was invaluable to me as a kid, we had drill cards and everything. But I don't think it's as emphasized in current curriculum, and hasn't been for a while. At least that's my impression from my kids' education. Teachers on the forum, do you still teach phonics?

In my district, K-3 uses a program called Fundations (Wilson Reading).  By the end of first grade, the kids can mark up words like champs (long/short vowels, blends/digraphs, vowel teams, suffixes, glued sounds, etc.). The program builds on itself through third grade.  Fourth grade they're on their own.  lol

9 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I didn't like her at all.  I got a very phony, affected vibe from her.  Like she was surprised when she got an easy one, and ho-hum at the difficult ones.

Agree.

5 hours ago, mookster said:

Welp, here's my kneejerk reaction to Michelle: I don't like her. The English accent, the endless intro story, mime-ograph. She also strikes me as thinking she's adorable. 

Agree.

Edited by lb60
  • Love 5

I didn't mind Michelle yesterday, but by the end of today's game, I couldn't stand her.  Vincent!  WTF!?  "There are billions and billions of trees"?  Was Bryan churning butter?

A couple of nit picks - Michelle's interview was too long again.  Explaining, in excruciating detail how to learn to play the ukulele.  I was screaming, "Yeah, that's how learning a stringed instrument works!  Now STFU!"  I also think Vincent was cheated on the rice paddy answer.  He said paddies, realized his mistake instantly, tried to say paddy, but Alex immediately shouted, "No!" and let Bryan answer it.  The other day, Alex let someone give what seemed like 42 answers before they gave the correct one.  Sheesh!  Oh! And that Carson answer should have required a BMS.  Kit Carson anyone?!  /rant over

I got Tucson, South Platte River (Alex originally said Platte River, then changed it.  It doesn't become the Platte River until it meets up with the North Platte River east of North Platte, NE.), International Space Station, Krewe, and known associates (sh*t!).

I had FJ written down before Alex finished reading the clue.  Three FJ's for me this week.  Drink, drink, drink! ???

• Love 13
(edited)
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

Maybe because he was so gassed up from getting that DD that he was already envisioning his victory lap around the studio? I'm not a fan of Michelle's but I appreciate her getting Vincent off my TV.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

And in other WTFery, how do you not guess Tucson after Phoenix has been ruled out as a city in Arizona?  Even if you aren't sure?

Right?? That's exactly how I got it.

As it was for others above, FJ was an instaget for me. Also got the pagoda associates and Intl Space Station TS.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
honesty
  • Love 5

I'm curious to know what Vincent said that got bleeped. I wondered if it was "Known Assholes," then Alex mentioned a four letter word. Bewildered by the Carl Sagan answer, like everyone else here.

I knew pagoda, desolation, crew, and known associates. Easy FJ, but I didn't think Modern Languages was the best name for the category. "Slang" or something like it would have been better.

8 hours ago, ABay said:

@Prevailing Wind, I can't decide whether I'm sorry or grateful that was cut from the film...but leading toward grateful because I don't think Oliver Reed could have carried the tune. Or any tune. Although, to be fair, I never heard him sing. He was quite convincingly thuggish as Sykes, though (and the best Athos ever).

I wish it had been included. I love a good villain song! It could have been dubbed if Oliver Reed's voice wasn't up to it.

1 hour ago, lurk3000 said:

Is this the first time anyone ever cussed on Jeopardy?

Probably not, though I don't have any cites.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Brookside said:

Remember using razor blades to splice film?  How did we survive?

Memories like these make me feel for today's teachers who have to be ultra-vigilant about everything they do and say due to rules, regulations, potential lawsuits, helicopter parents etc.  I have such fond memories of awesome chemistry experiments.

My high school Latin teacher, whom I've described before as a young, mustachioed stud muffin, piled 6 of us in his car, and drove clear across the state to attend a Latin convention when I was a senior.  We even spent the night!  He bunked with the boys and the girls had their own room.  We went to see Ben Hur at the Cinerama, too.  Can you imagine that happening today?  It's one of my fondest memories.  Oh!  I forgot!  The kids in the backseat had to hold the life-size statue of Julius Caesar we'd constructed of papier-mâché.  Good times.  ?

• Love 14

Catching up on two weeks worth of shows (and 10+ pages of posts).

First off, congratulations to Scott for a very impressive run!!

Too many shows to remember all of my TSs and FJs, but Truman and Crosby, Stills, & Nash were instagets.

The guy on the end today looked like he had just crawled out of bed.  I ran Left Field, despite my being a Center Fielder.  Speaking of which, if I were ever on the show, one of my stories would be still playing baseball north of 50 (it's like real baseball, but with courtesy runners ... lots of courtesy runners).  Come to think of it, most of my stories would have some baseball element to them.

• Love 4
(edited)

The clue was "Despite his nickname, this leftfielder for the 1919 Chicago "Black Sox" didn't usually play barefoot."

The accepted response was "Shoeless Joe," which is the nickname mentioned in the clue but not what the clue is seeking-this leftfielder.  The right response should be Shoeless Joe Jackson or Joe Jackson.  Shoeless Joe is not correct, IMO.  Should have asked for more or been called wrong.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 21
2 hours ago, SHD said:

I don't know. I mean Carl Sagan wasn't even mainly known as being an environmentalist, either, so it's doubly confusing.

Obviously we're all confused about this. Like you said, Sagan wasn't known as an environmentalist, using passive resistance, talking about deforestation, or living in India in 1973.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

My first thought after Phoenix was Scottsdale then Yuma -- an odd choice, but probably because of an experience I had driving thru there.

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I also think Vincent was cheated on the rice paddy answer.  He said paddies, realized his mistake instantly, tried to say paddy, but Alex immediately shouted, "No!" and let Bryan answer it.  The other day, Alex let someone give what seemed like 42 answers before they gave the correct one.  Sheesh!

I don't think he was cheated, but I did feel bad for him because, as you said, other people often get a bit more time before Alex rules them wrong. And here Alex really did seem to bark out, "NO!"

I enjoyed Vincent's little bleeped boo-boo. It was cute how he covered his mouth. 

For TSs, I got the Space Station, barrier reef, and desolation.

And why oh why did Alex have to do an accent when reading the Huck Finn clue? It was awful and unnecessary.

• Love 13
(edited)
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Yes, but the clue was about the University of Arizona, which is in Tucson. 

It's my alma mater, and there's a huge rivalry between the two schools, so I was doubly annoyed it was missed*. The very next question was about Philly, my hometown, so I enjoyed the streetcar category. We also had a 76ers clue. Good job, Jeopardy. 

My gets were Tucson, International Space Station, Marlins, barrier reef, and FJ in an instaget. 

I can't remember a contestant ever cursing but that's totally something I'd do. 

*Short story time: A friend from Philly called me one morning at my office in Tucson. She was traveling to Hawaii and had a layover in Phoenix. She wanted to know if I'd meet her there for lunch. I told her just with travel time it'd be a four-hour lunch for me. She apparently thought the two cities were closer together. 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I'm curious to know what Vincent said that got bleeped. I wondered if it was "Known Assholes," then Alex mentioned a four letter word. Bewildered by the Carl Sagan answer, like everyone else here.

He said "shit." He couldn't come up with the second word - I think he got confused and thought that they had supplied the 'A' word in 'KA' rather than the 'K' word. The clue stated, "KA's are known these, potential accomplices" - so he was going for 'known accomplices' (with 'accomplices' being supplied) rather than 'known associates' (with 'known' already being supplied).

I cannot come up with the route he may have taken to get to Carl Sagan. Like, how? HOW?

• Love 7

After not minding Michelle Thursday, she lost me Friday with her mind blown mime in the intro. I liked Bryan despite looking like he just rolled out of bed & his pointing at the board, mainly thanks to his answering the Saints question correctly & his GOOP podcast. I rooted for Vincent once he cursed (totally something I would do), and his gutsy DD wager. I have no idea how he came up with Carl Sagan, and I felt so bad for him! Overthinking probably; also something I would do. 

TS I got were Tucson, pagoda, ISS, krewe. FJ was not an instaget but only took a second or 2. 

7 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

On the other hand, it could be that I'm jealous.  Gal's got gorgeous hair. 

And a beautiful face.

• Love 7