Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I couldn’t remember Michael Flynn’s name, and was randomly shouting out names of former members of this administration.  And there are quite a few.

Exactly what I was doing. And thinking! The former members could fill an entire Jeopardy clue board.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Tonight I got manifold and Michael Flynn.  I was shocked no one knew him.  Then again, I'm an MSNBC junkie, where his name is frequently mentioned.  lol

I missed him. So many names come and go over there these days. I tried Manafort.

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, helpmerhonda said:

Did Alex say that Mark Twain said that "this is the little lady" quote? Wasn't that Lincoln?

Yes, it was, but the story is probably apocryphal. I got FJ, but if someone had mentioned Margaret Mitchell, I might have changed my mind. Agatha Christie???

I got ghee, Michael Flynn, qualify, and Dostoevsky. He's one of my all time favorite authors, and I've always remembered the story of the mock execution. It got lampooned in Woody Allen's Russian literature parody, Love and Death. There was also a very similar scene on the season premiere of The Handmaid's Tale. Jean Valjean was a really Goofy Guess, especially since we'd just had a clue on Victor Hugo, I guess that was what put him in Suzanne's head.

Speaking of Suzanne, I never noticed her chest. I made a point of observing her top tonight, only to have her wear a very concealing black sweater. Not a fan of the new champ--kind of boring. Not a very interesting anecdote--"I'm still besties with a couple of girls from high school/grade school." I mean that's nice and all, and it earned a "good for you," but... I would have rooted for Steve, but I couldn't take any more comments about champs from Canada!

• Love 8
(edited)

At first I was impressed that the new champ had known her best friend since the fourth grade.  I thought, "Oh, wow, they've been friends for 40 years."  Then she said they'd been friends for 20 years and I thought, "Wow!  This chick is only 28 or 29 years old?"

A Chelsea Clinton picture.  Facepalm then drink!  ?

On the clue where they were going for VCR, and then accepted Steve's lame VHS...system, I was shouting, "Make him at least say recorder, you lame ass judges!  Sheesh!"

I got Breakin' 2, Dostoevsky (DD), Michael Flynn, manifold, and ghee (DD).

From instaget (yesterday) to totally clueless (today).  That's how I roll with FJ.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
Remove random letter my keyboard likes to insert after sentences.
  • Love 14
10 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I couldn’t remember Michael Flynn’s name, and was randomly shouting out names of former members of this administration.  And there are quite a few.

LOL @saber5055 about the pendant — I thought the same thing!

@Mindthinkr, I believe that scene of Dirty Dancing was actually filmed at Mountain Lake, just a short ways up the road from where I live in Virginia.  Lots of the movie was shot there, despite it not being mentioned in the E! True Hollywood Story about it.

Then someone better stop the tours in Lake Lure that go on about that scene being shot in their lake. IMDB also gives a credit to Lake Lure but your Virginia place is also mentioned. Pembroke? So I think we both can be right as it was filmed in multiple places. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, opus said:

I liked Maryilyn. Nice rack.

I'm going to hell, aren't I?

I guess I'm going with you for laughing at this. Quite loudly in fact.

15 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

At first I was impressed that the new champ had known her best friend since the fourth grade.  I thought, "Oh, wow, they've been friends for 40 years."  Then she said they'd been friends for 20 years and I thought, "Wow!  This chick is only 28 or 29 years old?"

At least you bothered to do the math. And still, they needed a picture of Chelsea Clinton.

I'm hoping tomorrow someone tells us about their nutcracker collection.

At least Jim's black ice story was one Trebek couldn't horn in on, being a So Cal boy and all. The only black ice he sees is in his Good For You drink.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Then someone better stop the tours in Lake Lure that go on about that scene being shot in their lake. IMDB also gives a credit to Lake Lure but your Virginia place is also mentioned. Pembroke? So I think we both can be right as it was filmed in multiple places. 

It’s not too far from Pembroke, I guess.  I’ll have to ask some of the folks around here who were extras and/or worked behind the scenes which bits were shot here, but it was more than “official” information sites would have you believe.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I was thoroughly unimpressed, as I have known my best friend since we were three - definitely longer than 20 years!

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, saber5055 said:
28 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Exactly what I was doing. And thinking! The former members could fill an entire Jeopardy clue board.

I got stuck on "Manafort" and couldn't think of any other name.  Because really, there are just TOO many former members!  Well, he would have fit in well with the My Man category.

• Love 3
(edited)
16 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

I noticed nothing about Maryilyn's chest. 

Drink!

15 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

I got stuck on "Manafort" and couldn't think of any other name.  Because really, there are just TOO many former members!  Well, he would have fit in well with the My Man category.

Manafort was all I could come up with too. And yeah, he was perfect for the "Man" category.

16 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I was thoroughly unimpressed, as I have known my best friend since we were three - definitely longer than 20 years!

*cough* And ... that would be ... HOW much longer? *cough*

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

At first I was impressed that the new champ had known her best friend since the fourth grade.

We'll see if she has an even more impressive story tomorrow.

For FJ, I quickly said "Uncle Tom's Cabin -- who wrote that?"

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, NoloContendere said:

Can someone explain to me Alex's pre-final Jeopardy comment "Believe it or not, if you are good at math, it may help you with our final today." 

It was odd, but maybe he thought that realizing that the author might have been writing around the time of the Civil War would help. Birth and/or death dates do establish a general time frame when a person would have been a productive adult, but there's a lot of unknown factors and not much real math. The death date in the question was 1896, suggesting a time frame from say, 1850-1890 for when they might have been writing. I got the answer by combining both parts of the clue - the 19th century plus the most widely read book of that era equals Uncle Tom's Cabin.

• Love 6

Thought of all the Virginia/W&M people on the board when Newport News was an answer.  I spent way too much time at Patrick Henry International Airport back in the day.

Liked that it was a close game up until FJ but I didn't have a rooting interest in anyone.  The new champion made me feel old since my longest serving friend and I go back much further than 20 years but I will wish her good luck even though she is from Ohio.  (Michigan and Ohio don't like each other much ?.)

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And didn't the new champ get a resounding "Good for you!"?  Big drink!

I thought that was weird, even for Alex. "Good for you" for having friends for 20 years? I mean, that's great, but many adults have friends from their childhood.

My brain was malfunctioning even more so today. I couldn't think of Breakin' or ghee, though I "knew" both of them. I could only remember Rick, not Warren. I came up with Flynn in the nick of time.

I did get Dostoevsky and manifold. (My obstetrician was named Dr. Manifold.)

I was pleased I got FJ, though I spelled her name Harriet Beacher Stowe.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Kathira said:

It was odd, but maybe he thought that realizing that the author might have been writing around the time of the Civil War would help. Birth and/or death dates do establish a general time frame when a person would have been a productive adult, but there's a lot of unknown factors and not much real math. The death date in the question was 1896, suggesting a time frame from say, 1850-1890 for when they might have been writing. I got the answer by combining both parts of the clue - the 19th century plus the most widely read book of that era equals Uncle Tom's Cabin.

That's a good explanation. I thought he was referring to skill at wagering.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, lb60 said:

Tonight I got manifold and Michael Flynn.  I was shocked no one knew him.  Then again, I'm an MSNBC junkie, where his name is frequently mentioned.  lol

I couldn't believe he was a TS. I watch a lot of MSNBC as well but I think these days, Flynn is just one of those folks Americans need to be aware of.

The other TS I got were Breakin' and dry cleaner. No clue on FJ; I wild guessed Alcott. Forgot all about Uncle Tom's Cabin.

2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

On the clue where they were going for VCR, and then accepted Steve's lame VHS...system, I was shouting, "Make him at least say recorder, you lame ass judges!  Sheesh!"

We were shouting in stereo. That really bugged me!

I didn't notice Suzanne's boobs before reading about them here. Maybe I just know a lot of big breasted women so I didn't notice?? LOL Anyway, I'm sorry to see her go.

I suspect the new champ will be a one and done.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I've known my best friend since we were 12 - that's a big 52 years.  Not as impressive as from the age of 3, though.

My (snarky) point was that I was shocked Marilyn was as young as she is.  I thought she was in her late 40's, not 20's.  Yeah, I'm mean (and old).  

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Driad said:

Might it be helpful to give a description of what is being spoiled?  Some viewers might want to see the name of a contestant in tomorrow's game, but not who wins or any of the questions.

There was some mild spoilage about questions earlier today. In general, posters should use discretion and be careful what they reveal about contestants, winners, or questions. If any  poster would like to hint about questions or contestants, you can preface it before using the spoiler tags. I'm  here to make sure no one gets spoiled when they don't want to be.

• Love 4

Did Alex say that Mark Twain said that "this is the little lady" quote? Wasn't that Lincoln?

Stowe's daughter Hattie was told that when the President heard her name he seized her hand and said, "Is this the little woman who made the great war?"

Mark Twain, Alex? Okay, I suppose it could have been Twain, who fit the time period (although Twain fought briefly for the Confederacy).

I know Jim is from Canada, but Agatha Christie??? Did she change nationalities? Sheesh!

For FJ my first thought was Louisa May Alcott (J! loves LMA) and the time period was write (heh, I made a pun!), but I knew LMA wasn't write (heh again!), and then I ran out of time because I had to explain -- to Mr. Author -- that Margaret Mitchell wrote GWTW in 1936 !

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

My brain was malfunctioning even more so today. I couldn't think of Breakin' or ghee, though I "knew" both of them. I could only remember Rick, not Warren. I came up with Flynn in the nick of time.

I did get Dostoevsky and manifold. (My obstetrician was named Dr. Manifold.)

I was pleased I got FJ, though I spelled her name Harriet Beacher Stowe.

Breakin' II: Electric Boogaloo. I remembered as it was on TWoP for some forum about a sequel, as Electric Boogaloo is a standard for absurd sequel titles. 

Got the others, but i couldn't think of ghee either. 

It's the same pronunciation, so you're good. I just answered Stowe. 

• Love 6
(edited)
9 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

VCR, and then accepted Steve's lame VHS...system, I was shouting, "Make him at least say recorder, you lame ass judges!  Sheesh!"

VHS system even though it was redundant was commonly used when it was first introduced in the 70s until it won the war with the BETA system in the 80s.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

The spiked wheel by which she was to be killed broke when she touched it (whence the term Catherine wheel), and she was then beheaded.

Hmmm... there's a book in the above.

I mean, if all the Tudor beheadings were bestsellers...

When I was growing up and going to Catholic grade school, my favorite book was The Lives of the Saints. The martyrs all died spectacularly gory deaths and sometimes there were even illustrations. My favorite was St. Lawrence who was killed by placing him on a griddle over an open flame. He allegedly said halfway through the execution " Turn me over. I'm done on that side."

But I digress...

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

When I was growing up and going to Catholic grade school, my favorite book was The Lives of the Saints. The martyrs all died spectacularly gory deaths and sometimes there were even illustrations. My favorite was St. Lawrence who was killed by placing him on a griddle over an open flame. He allegedly said halfway through the execution " Turn me over. I'm done on that side."

But I digress...

Now I’m very glad not to have gone to a Catholic school. I would have had nightmares for ages if I read something like that   book. I have the neebie jeebies thinking about it. Cringe. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, opus said:

Still dwelling on this topic, I think that Alex liked her, too.  It's my opinion that the rack was purchased considering that she is a woman of a certain age and well, you know, gravity happens.

• Love 2

Instaget FJ for me, my first FJ in some time so I was happy.  Only one ts, manifold and the DD of ghee.

I was pulling for my fellow Canadian, Steve, but that truly terrible FJ answer totally did him in. I was surprised too that they gave him VHS system.

• Love 5
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:11 PM, saber5055 said:

Yeah. For anyone who thinks we are harsh here, take a sec and look at some twitter account. That's where the trolls live. We're choirboys (and girls) in this thread.

Remember that this site used to be called "Television Without Pity".

• Love 3
(edited)
16 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I've known my best friend since we were 12 - that's a big 52 years.  Not as impressive as from the age of 3, though.

A friend of mine who's in her 70's has a friend from when they were babies together!

15 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Breakin' II: Electric Boogaloo. I remembered as it was on TWoP for some forum about a sequel, as Electric Boogaloo is a standard for absurd sequel titles. 

Yes, that's all I know about it. On Twitter a couple of TV critics would occasionally stick 'Electric Boogaloo' on something to make a ridiculous sequel. I just couldn't pull the original out of my brain!

Edited by peeayebee
To fixa the bad English
  • Love 4
(edited)
12 hours ago, opus said:

I hope we here at PTV don't become like the guys cited in this article.

ETA: I assume you meant this comment tongue in cheek, but there are viewers who get really crude.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I thought that was weird, even for Alex. "Good for you" for having friends for 20 years? I mean, that's great, but many adults have friends from their childhood.

Unless I mis-heard, Alex said "Good for you" for the first two contestants.

13 hours ago, biakbiak said:

VHS system even though it was redundant was commonly used when it was first introduced in the 70s until it won the war with the BETA system in the 80s.

Not to mention, it was definitely a VHS, not a BETA tape - they were different sizes and formats. I've worked with both. So VHS was the correct answer.

Betavhs2.jpg.5081ceaca12a66c88f42912a432667e3.jpg

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

ETA: I assume you meant this comment tongue in cheek, but there are viewers who get really crude.

3 minutes ago, ABay said:

Too late.

ABAY, you beat me to it.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Do cars even have carburetors these days?

Not that I'm aware of.  The last car I bought with a carburetor was in 1989, and even then, maybe half the cars I test drove had fuel injection systems instead.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Dear God, who would have expected that level of crudity from Jeopardy viewers. (comments here are mild by comparison). I guess it shouldn't be that surprising, but still.

Well, that's one reason I'm only on Twitter as a lurker.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I guess I should defend myself a bit. Yes, it was just a bit of tongue in cheek, riffing off some of the conversation about previous champ Suzanne, who, honest to goodness, I wouldn't have even noticed the aforementioned attributes if they hadn't been mentioned here.

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Dear God, who would have expected that level of crudity from Jeopardy viewers.

Twitter is full of hate as is every site that accepts comments, which is why most newspapers have closed their comment sections. One reporter I follow receives multiple death-threats every day, along with what these guys will do to her before she is murdered. A film maker I follow gets more than 100 hate/personal attack tweets in response to every tweet he puts out. Anyone who goes on any tv show needs to be familiar with social media plus have a thick skin. That's why I was critical about what Suzanne was wearing. Yeah, women of a certain build have problems finding "cute" clothes, but if you are going on national television where you will be filmed from the waist up, you dress conservatively and cover up. It's not that hard to find a couple outfits that give the haters nothing to attack; that was proven by Suzanne's third appearance when she looked great. Unfortunately, the damage was done by her first two "chesty" appearances, and, as another poster here said, let's hope she does not look at twitter.

Commenting on a contestant's poor clothing choice is not one iota close to posting how someone would like to physically abuse another person, and I'm very disappointed that anyone here even thinks it's the same.

As they say on Page Six tv, "If you don't want it on Page Six, don't do it."

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
(edited)

I got Loch Lomond only because I was there a few weeks ago.  It's even prettier than the picture in the clue.

My only thought on Suzanne's appearance was "Gosh, I wish I looked that good in a bandage dress."  I think she wore that on the second day. 

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, PaulaO said:

I got Loch Lomond only because I was there a few weeks ago.  It's even prettier than the picture in the clue.

So jealous. And a big Good For You! *drink* And a lucky you too. I would love to visit Scotland.

• Love 3

I'm so excited to have found this forum!  Looks like you all are a friendly sort who enjoy Jeopardy--for LOTS of different reasons!  LOL!

Can someone either give me or point me toward a Cliff's Notes version of how the board works after a show has aired:  do you all post which answers you knew?  Does ""instaget" apply just to FJ?  

All that being said:  I also thought Suzanne looked bored out of her mind and, for a librarian, she sure didn't know much about books.  I felt like she gave up a bit shortly into the first round when she was being beaten on every buzzer.  Although she did come back by the end.  I, for one, didn't notice her chest.  I thought her clothing choices were lovely and sophisticated.  I thought Marilyn was a little strange, and I've had ONE best friend since 4th grade.  I'm 50, so you do the math!  LOL!

Can anyone tell me something I've always wondered:  those tv/computer screens that show each question look awfully small to me and the contestants look awfully far away.  How do they read them?  Are the questions shown somewhere else larger or are they really bigger than they seem?  I can't imagine how I would see them clearly that far away in enough time!

I also guessed LM Alcott for FJ last night.  Should have known it though! Thanks for letting me chime in!

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Not to mention, it was definitely a VHS, not a BETA tape - they were different sizes and formats. I've worked with both. So VHS was the correct answer.

I thought they wanted VCR rather than what type of tape was used. That's why I was surprised they accepted VHS system.

I give you many, many likes for your post, @MrAtoz.

Welcome, @Julia67. Hope you post lots and enjoy yourself here.  We often post the triple stumpers we get, and Instaget is usually reserved for FJ although, of course, it can apply to any answer you get instantly:)

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Suzanne's not a librarian; she's a museum education manager.  I'm the librarian.  But then, I did badly in the books category, too, because I didn't catch on to the "month" gimmick. :-)

Thank you for clarifying, MrAtoz!  I appreciate it.  I don't believe I picked up on the month gimmick either!  LOL!

Can you comment on my question about the screens?  Are they as far away as they seem to be?  Can you read them without difficulty?  It's always baffled me!

• Love 1

Welcome, @Julia67. Here's a link to abbreviations commonly used here. And if you play an instrument of any kind (real or imaginary), be sure to check out The Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Orchestra featuring the Good For You Rhythm Section and the Women Authors Singers. With the No Boo Hiss Players and the Alber Camoo Dancers.

• Love 6