Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Welcome to the Jeopardy! season 34 thread.

Please avoid posting details about the episode of the day before 7PM ET. If necessary, you may use spoiler tags. This allows time for other posters to catch up in their own local viewings.

For a fun reference guide on terms used in this thread and the Jeopardy! fandom, see the glossary thread.

Feel free to create tournament threads as they happen or PM me for help. Thank you.

• Love 2

The final Countdown!  I cannot wait for the new season to start.  Although I don't remember if I saw the end of last season, TBH.

I'm calling it right now... "Women Authors" is a category in the first Jeopardy! round.

• Love 4

I think we need a forum:  if the answer is about X, the question will be Y

If the answer involves American Poets/Civil War, the question is always "Who is Walt Whitman?"

If the answer refers to Scandinavian composers, the question is always "Who is Sibelius?"

Russian novelist? Tolstoy

• Love 5

What the frak?  We've already started with not clearing boards?  And I wanted to see all the clues in both of those categories.

My son was super bummed that there was not an actual AC/DC category.

Season premiere, frenchfied pronunciation. I like to tick off the boxes early.  Such as not having one solid clue about FJ.

Laura seems nice and pleasant enough.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 6

Alex had waaaayyy too much fun with that French pronunciation, didn't he?

Overall, I thought it was a good game -- not too many TS, and a nice, challenging FJ, for which I did not have a clue.  We'll have to expand our list of usual suspects for British authors!

For the TS and missed DDs, I did manage to come up with Colorado, California, Joseph Priestly, worms and NOAA. 

• Love 2

Yay the smart grownups are back! Although at first those new opening graphics threw me off – I thought it might be another teen or college tournament.

What was Alex saying up front, something about them making changes so the game is harder or something? I didn't notice anything very different. I didn't get any TS or FJ but I'm going to pretend that's only because I've gotten a little flabby from not working my Jeopardy! muscles for several weeks. How I've missed you all :-)

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

No clue as to FJ!

Me neither.  Not that the extra time would have helped me, but I was thrown off at first by the wording of the clue.  When he said "O'Keefe painted the tree..."  it took me a bit to get past thinking she had painted a tree, as in applied paint to a tree, rather than creating a painting of a tree.  Yes, my mind works in funny ways sometimes.

• Love 4

Hi everyone! I'm excited for this season because I'm going to a taping next month. Wish I were going for appearing on the show, but it'll do.

We had name her sport instead of women athletes. That's a win in my book. I was bummed they didn't finish it.

I got basketball and worms.  That's it. I didn't have a clue on FJ.

Maybe it's better I'm not going to be on the show!

• Love 5

Normally it drives me crazy when they don't clear the board, but turns out I don't mind as much when it is a sports category. Still though, get your act together, contestants!

I didn't have the slightest idea for FJ, and literature is generally one of 'my' categories. I didn't know DH Laurence had spent time in the US. Just took a gander at his Wikipedia page, and apparently he was quite the wanderer!

• Love 4

That Robin Williams joke clue...was there any way to guess that was a Williams joke? It could have been anybody. One of the contestants guessed George Carlin, and it could very well have been a Carlin joke. There was nothing about it that pointed to Williams; usually clues like that have something in them giving a hint, but not this time. You just had to know it. It felt odd.

Glad to have the show back, though!

• Love 8

Bonjour, fellow posters (I gave bonjour an Alex accent).

Mr. Author shouts DENI (my real name) every time I say how there has to be a French clue for AT, or when Women Authors is a category.

Oh, and this Fine Arts (English) major wouldn't have guessed Lawrence in a bazillion years. 

• Love 2

I have missed this forum so much.  It's like coming home to post here.  I didn't come up with Robin Williams but hadn't George Carlin already been an answer.  

King Zog of Albania was an instaget for me.  But I could have sat under the Lawrence tree for days before I got that answer.

• Love 3

For FJ, at first I couldn't imagine who it was, and then I had one of those brain-sponge moments where the memory popped out through one of the holes in the sponge, which tends to happen if you squeeze just right, and gently enough.  I asked my husband, "Do you know it?"  He said, "No, do you?"  And I said I thought it was D. H. Lawrence, and he said (a bit condescendingly, I thought), "Oh, did Lawrence travel around in the Southwest?"  I didn't have an answer for that, and I started second-guessing myself.  So it was a triumphal moment when that turned out to be the right answer.  He high-fived me, but I said I thought he should bow.  Because that was really hard. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Grundoon59 said:

I didn't come up with Robin Williams but hadn't George Carlin already been an answer.  

Actually, the Carlin clue was the next clue after the Robin Williams one (although, had they done the clues in order top to bottom, the Carlin would have been first).

• Love 2

Excellent game tonight--not a single dud player and not too many TS's. I knew Hanover, strike (surprised no one got that), Goya, and St. Tropez.

I felt smug last night knowing a question that everyone missed; tonight they all got it and I guessed Mariah Carey. I suck at popular music.

• Love 5

If you, like me, wondered What's the difference between album of the year and record of the year? wikipedia says

Album of the Year is awarded to the performer and the production team of a full album.

Record of the Year is awarded to the performer and the production team of a single song.

Song of the Year is awarded to the writer(s)/composer(s) of a single song.

Now that I see it, it makes sense. Singles used to be on little records (45s), after all.

• Love 4

Another good game, although I was very confused as to why they continued to leave the highest value clue in the category.  Finish the category, folks!  You never know when there might be a DD lurking at those high dollar clues!

I only managed to come up with St. Tropez among the very few TS, and had no real clue for FJ.  I said Beyonce because why not.  

• Love 2

I'm being careful what I read, because I'm a day behind due to Monday Night Football.  (Usually when I'm in this situation, I just catch up here on the weekend.)  But I had to post to say this season's opening is HORRIBLE. I normally don't have any feelings one way or the other, especially since I'm usually fast-forwarding through it.  This sequence struck me as especially bad, though.  

Oh, yeah, and no clue on Lawrence O'Keefe.  

• Love 1

The champ's outfit yesterday made her look a little staid, and today's made her look like a hippie chick! I love when the clothing choices give a clue to the real person.

Glad to be back for this season. Due to a programmed DVR and a lot of turmoil in my life last season, I wasn't able to follow this board in real time much. I hope to be able to do so this year, as I missed the experience of "watching with friends."

• Love 3

Ah, tonight's show was good. I was rooting for everyone. Yes, White Fang was way too easy. My mind can be creative, but it doesn't do anagrams. Well, it might, but it would be the next day before I got them...the champ is a real *spitfire* (heh!)

I don't "do" the Grammys (Grammies?), either, so I always guess Barbra Streisand to any Grammy-ish question.

Or Kit Streisand.

• Love 4

I usually suck at anagrams too. My mind doesn't work that way. But for some reason I found this one dead easy.

As for White Fang well I for one didn't get it because I haven't really read any London. I recognize the name. But I couldn't tell you the plot. Maybe like so many other little facts, I'll learn this for the next time on Jeopardy

4 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

I might have known Adele anyway but a few weeks ago at trivia, there was a question about recent female Grammy winners so I had already been through a discussion about that and was able to eliminate everyone else..  

• Love 2

Happy new season!!

It's only just begun and I'm already OVER Alex and his French accents. 

Last night's contestants were all so lovely - no board jumping, no wild clicking or otherwise annoying behaviors :)

Could not come up with Adele, but anything after the early 80s is usually lost on me anyway.

• Love 4

I love Adele so I'm bummed that I got FJ wrong. I also watch the Grammys every year. My guess was Taylor Swift but then I changed my mind to Drake (both artists I don't really follow) because he made a stink about some sort of record being set when he won an award at this past Grammy Award Show. I'm glad the answer was Adele and not either of those two! 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, mojoween said:

My two older sisters are named Laura and Linda.  I favor Laura.

I love Adele, but did not get FJ.

White Fang was too easy for a DD, no?

I thought of Adele, but didn't think that 19 had won Album of the Year, so I said Taylor Swift instead.  I forgot all about 25, maybe because I didn't feel compelled to buy it the way I did with 21.

• Love 1

So happy that Jeopardy is back! Unfortunately my DVR is not recognizing my season pass, so I have to record each episode individually. First world problem, to the extreme.

I totally sucked Monday - NOAA was the only TS I got, and I missed a ton of questions that had me face-palming. My trivia knowledge muscles definitely need exercise. 

Tuesday was better. Ran the Reality TV category, which I am not sure is something to be proud of, and groaned at the Travel France one. Blind guessed the Grammys FJ. 

On 9/11/2017 at 6:53 PM, mojoween said:

My son was super bummed that there was not an actual AC/DC category.

So was Dr. Toothbrush 

14 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

The champ's outfit yesterday made her look a little staid, and today's made her look like a hippie chick!

That was a great top! 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, MortysCleaningLady said:

Ah, a new season and i'm already 1 for 2.   I still don't think Willa Cather was a bad guess for the Georgia O'Keeffe question, as she was an author who wrote a book set in the area, but my Taylor Swift guess last night was questionable.   I don't do awards shows.

I guessed Willa for the same reasons. DH Lawrence is just not on my radar - and certainly not in America. 

I mis-read the century on FJ, so I was waaaayyy off base.

• Love 2
On 9/11/2017 at 9:29 PM, YoureSoUrban said:

What was Alex saying up front, something about them making changes so the game is harder or something? I didn't notice anything very different. I didn't get any TS or FJ but I'm going to pretend that's only because I've gotten a little flabby from not working my Jeopardy! muscles for several weeks. How I've missed you all :-)

Days later, but he was making a joke about how smart viewers must feel when watching the reruns of the tournaments, because they remember stuff from the last airing -- which is true for me, at least!

• Love 2

We were doing so well, Jen, with starting at the tops of categories until you came along!  I wanted to root for her, too, since she's sort of local to where I live. 

As I have said many times, history is not my strong suit, and ancient history is even worse, so I was clueless for FJ.  However, I did get Palestine, Wild At Heart, and Beasts Of the Southern Wild.

Good game, though, despite Jen's starting mid-category a couple of times, and despite the guy kind of disappearing in DJ.

• Love 1