Type keyword(s) to search

TDS 3.0: Season Three Talk

• Start Topic

I'm baffled that Kelly would come out on record and say something that is easily disproven by video. Did someone just give him a set of talking points and they built the speech around that? I would think he has his own staff that would check whatever points he was given for accuracy. It's not like the video was difficult to access. 

Fox News has no shame. That loud woman they show all the time is so one note too. She ALWAYS talking LIKE THIS. 

I think the biggest shade of this presidency was Khan calling it an anomaly. BURN

• Love 5

Something retired senior officers can have trouble dealing with is having their pronouncements (and orders) disregarded, or even questioned.  A friend of mine who retired after 20 as a lieutenant colonel nearly twenty years ago still has problems with her civilian subordinates not getting things done.  Generals don't get lip from subordinates.  Four-stars (who in peacetime must have political skills to get that rank) don't get questioned or contradicted.  

Frankly, I think Patton would have done a better job then Kelly did.  

• Love 2

Subordinates not getting things done is quite different than going on record and saying something that is verifiably disproven with ease. A four star general should know that. Unless his staff screwed up, it seems much more likely that he was just given the narrative and told to discredit the woman. Which is just spineless on Kelly's part because now he looks like a stooge for the administration. 

• Love 3

My thought is that this is how Kelly remembered it.  Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but I don't think he deliberately lied. In my scenario, at the time he didn't like that in talking about how the building got named, Rep Wilson included herself in the story -- Not that there was any untruth in what she said, but it seemed to Kelly like she was bragging. As the years passed, the story changed in his head from her talking about how she helped get the building named to how she got the funding for it. 

How could anyone listen to the first lady talk about bullying without laughing her out of the building?

I was only half listening to the song, and I was like, hey, good for her, she sings, plays her own guitar, only needs a piano to accompany, and then I heard, "starting drinking when they foreclosed on the house and now has liver failure." I was like, whoa. 

• Love 5

I liked the piece on the senators getting under Trump's skin, but it's also kind of spineless. Flake is retiring because he knows he can't win his primary, so it's not like he was taking this big stand. I'd also have a little more respect for them if they didn't vote with the president (repeal ACA, the banking bill yesterday) like all of the time. Words are a bunch of hot air. It's how you vote. 

At least Trevor showed the 3 senators that have been taking a real stand and voting against the president. And Collins is taking a risk because she is running for reelection. 

I mean, they knew what they were getting with Trump. I think they (congress) made a serious error in thinking Trump was just going to do whatever they said, and they underestimated the ineptitude of their own caucus, who largely was elected as the "party of no" against Obama. 

• Love 9

I actually didn't think about Flake and Corker being in office for their rest of their terms -- Is it 15 months? 

And, yes, their words are kinda hollow when they vote with Trump so much. 

I loved Ronny's segment about robots and fast food. Some of that was news to me. Anyway, very segment.

I'm really enjoying The Deuce. I didn't find the interview with Maggie to be all that informative or interesting. But she's fantastic in the show.

Rubio said he wouldn't run again

and then he did! 

I personally they will change their minds once they impeach Trump. To me it's like those cop movies where they put their badge on the guys desk and say yes my police career is finished. Then they solve the case and reinstated. (In this case re-elected.)

• Love 3

Khzir Khan still has hope and faith for America, even after the country let him down last year.

Fox News can report on Harvey Weinstein's sexual misdeeds, but no Trevor, they have no business putting their two cents about it. Not only with the way they "brought back" Bill O'Reilly, but also with the likes of Roger Ailes, Eric Bolling, and who knows whoever's been making miserable the women who work there. And I loved Dulce's appearance as God laying the smackdown on crybaby O'Reilly. I would have liked it even better if, after she said "God Himself cannot wreck the Titianic", she said "So I turned to St. Peter and said Hold my beer, P-Dawg."

No Sens Corker and Flake. You both don't get to claim to have a moral and a spine when you insist on riding out your terms in office while voting yes to everything Drumph puts out. The two of you are a part of why Drumph became president in the first place.

• Love 7

Did it seem like Trevor was walking on eggshells around Gretchen Carlson? She was there to discuss her book and sexual harassment, so just do that. It seemed like he felt he needed to apologize for or explain why he wasn't challenging her conservative political beliefs.

I didn't really notice that. I always feel a little uncomfortable when a guest is on that you know the audience is not a fan of. My main impression from the interview was how self-serving Gretchen was. Yes it's good and commendable that she was not silent about the sexual harassment. But I didn't like how she was practically bragging about her bravery.

My favorite part of the ep was when cab driver Ronny yelled at Desi for not paying and then said, "Sad!" with that stupid Trump gesture.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 6

Carlson was on Larry Wilmore's podcast ("Black on the Air") and they talked for an hour and got into a lot more detail. I agree she's personally annoying and her motives will always be suspect because of her years of shilling BS at Faux, but her book apparently is not just about her experience; it's also supposedly a manual about how to most effectively win a case against a sexual predator. Larry was absolutely gushing about the book, and also her other work on this issue, which includes lobbying for changes in the law that will help with prosecutions, a project that helps women who can't afford a lawyer, and education on college campuses, geared toward changing the culture by addressing attitudes and behaviors before those folks enter the workplace.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

Carlson was on Larry Wilmore's podcast ("Black on the Air") and they talked for an hour and got into a lot more detail. I agree she's personally annoying and her motives will always be suspect because of her years of shilling BS at Faux, but her book apparently is not just about her experience; it's also supposedly a manual about how to most effectively win a case against a sexual predator. 

Like @Victor the Crab, I don't give any fucks about her, and found her to be really arrogant in her interview with Trevor, and it sounded very scripted. Like she memorized what she would say. I feel bad that she was harassed, but that doesn't take away the loathing I have for her. And seriously? She's the poster/face for Sexual Harassment? Please. Take some seats. Does she think all she has to do is testify before Congress, or whatever else she says she's going to do and that menace in the White House will sign it? Assuming of course, she can get the assholes in Congress to pass the bill(s).

6 hours ago, 2727 said:

Great interview with Hillary. An articulate, composed, thoughtful, empathetic politician* discussing issues. I had tears.

* Former and future?

I LOVED the interview. And I loved Hillary's response to Trevor as to why she "won't listen" and "go away" as other pundits and comedians (I'm looking at YOU, Bill Maher) and let others play or whatever have said. I loved that she came back with No one told all the other MEN who lost elections to "go away."

I want her to keep on talking. Keep doing what she's doing. And I'm going to go online later to watch the extended interview.

Considering who Trevor's audience is, I must admit I was taken aback at "woohoos!" that Carlson got when she came out for her interview the other night.

And did I mishear? Did Trevor mention that that Cryptkeeper* also admitted to having been sexually harassed? And yet, she continues to be one of the mouthpieces for 45 and dismissive of all the women who accused him of sexual harassment.

*Also known as Kelly Ann Conway.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 5
Just now, peeayebee said:

I didn't hear (or catch) that he said anything about Conway being sexually harassed. 

He may have meant Megyn Kelly. I'll have to go back and rewatch, because I remember when Carlson sat down, Trevor listed the names of the women, and I could have sworn he said "Kelly Ann..."

I could upvote that post of yours forever, @GHScorpiosRules.

What an amazing interview Hillary Clinton gave last night. Poise, intellect, strength. All of which just depresses/angers me that certain groups and individuals went out of their way to slime and destroy her and hand the presidency to Drumph

I also noticed how Trevor gave her respect. For all his years hosting TDS, Jon almost never hid his contempt for Clinton for whatever reason. Even when he had her on as a guest. I still can't imagine what goes through his mind when he sees Drumph occupy the White House after he sneered at Hillary.

• Love 7
On 11/2/2017 at 10:56 PM, Temperance said:

It was a calm before the storm interview. Too bad she didn't come today. Trevor could have grilled her about the new accusations. 

It was scheduled/announced 2 months ago. 

• Love 3

Great interview with Senator Flake. I'm really impressed at the preparation and research that Trevor (and his staff, I assume) puts in to gather background info and use that to intelligently inform his questions.

Sen. Flake came off very well. Of course, I'm so hungry for any Republican to admit this shit be crazy that I'm predisposed to his side. Not going to buy his book, though.

• Love 4

Flake can say what he wants, and more should, but I question what "fight" he is fighting. He's voted with the president essentially every time, so I find his earnestness a little questionable. 

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Flake can say what he wants, and more should, but I question what "fight" he is fighting. He's voted with the president essentially every time, so I find his earnestness a little questionable. 

Flake is an asshole who voted for the "Replace and Repeal" and "Skinny Repeal," so he can fuck off. 

• Love 9

Great, just what the world needs. Double the characters on Twitter. As if Drumph's tweets weren't bad enough. Now they'll be twice as bad with twice the space.

Someone needs to laughingly tell shitty pizza baron robber John Schnatter that aligning himself so tightly with Drumph and Republicans gets himself unwanted fans from Nazis and other racist groups. When you lie with dogs, you get fleas. Nasty ones.

I was laughing at Rand Paul's fight with his neighbor that left him with broken ribs. The right was trying to spin this as the neighbor being a liberal Democrat who attacked Paul because he hated his politics and what he stood for, when all it was was continuous petty squabbling by two men over leaving grass clippings and twigs on the others property. Of course, looking at the aerial view of the area, both properties are enormous which makes the squabbles even more petty. Such childish men these two.

• Love 7
  • White supremacists supporting Papa John's pizza: "Heil five, baby!"
  • Turmoil in Saudi Arabia: "He's been arresting a Sheik-ton of other princes."
  • And "Saudi Arabia has more princes than a Minneapolis Halloween party."

POINTS!! (I'm missing @midnight).

In passing, I watch TDS online and really appreciate Comedy Central making it available on the same night it airs, without commercials, and without login requirements.

• Love 5

Trevor staring at camera for such a long time after that Facebook story intro was hilarious.

I can't remember if it was enemies of Trump or of America, but I loved the list: 1) Crooked Hillary, 2) the wind, and 3) China.

• Love 3

I'm disappointed that the interview with Moore on Hannity was on the radio because I would pay to see the look on Hannity's face when Moore was talking about getting permission from someone's mother to date her teenaged daughter. But we all know Moore is going to win this election, right? Trevor correctly pointed out that they turned it into a political issue, and there's no way a democrat is winning the election over a child molester. 

The moment of zen was appalling. "Oh, I wish he'd just have been honest." Like you aren't still voting for him. 

I hate that Trump keeps getting away with being so mealy-mouthed about Russia and getting away with it. 

• Love 2

I'm tired of late night hosts and comics mocking politicians for their looks, on either side of the aisle. Enough with the turkey neck "jokes," Trevor. Skewer people for their words and actions, not their noses.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 8

Yay!  An appearance by Jon tonight! 

I wondered when I first heard the voice on that faked phone call that it could be him.  Or someone doing a bad impression of him doing a bad impression of a Jewish reporter. ;)   But lo and behold, it was indeed Jon!  And yes, I know he has been on other shows plugging that Night of Too Many Stars special.  But for me it's always nice to see him again.

• Love 1
On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎15 at 8:18 AM, 2727 said:

Jon's been doing press for his Night of Too Many Stars special and has done "surprise" bits with Meyers, Colbert, and Kimmel that I've seen. Has he been on TDS and I missed it?

Only if you missed last night's show. :)

It was like someone had set up that entire "Bernie Bernstein" thing just so Jon could make his surprise visit. Trevor, for all of his brilliant accents, could never get that kind of voice.

• Love 5

Trevor can sure do a space alien accent though. 

That phone call (not Jon, the 'real' one) was so ridiculously fake, but I know there had to have been people who bought it. 

I just hate a sloppy con: 'Bernie Bernstein' is the fakest name that ever faked. I'll give them credit for using Bernie because that carries certain connotations, though I think it's accidental. I don't know why they went with "New York Jew" for the Washington Post. They could have just picked a name from the phone book and played it straight. 

• Love 4

Re the lawyer for former chief judge Roy Moore: "At least he's not one of those ambulance chasers with cable TV ads asking if you've been hurt in a dog attack." Cue up ad.

Ha! Priceless.

• Love 6

I've only just caught up with the episode and echo all the love for Bernie 'Jon Stewart' Bernstein.

The show's brief coverage of Australia achieving marriage equality wasn't quite right: we don't have it yet. What we were celebrating last Wednesday was the result of a completely unnecessary, costly and divisive postal survey that all Australians of voting age were asked to do. The result was 62% yes, and almost 80% of those who were eligible completed the survey. It has paved the way for the parliament to do what they should have done in the first place - pass a law making same-sex marriage legal in Australia. So we're not celebrating fully just yet. That will happen, we hope, before Christmas. More info here.

• Love 8

I've lost count of how many times I've literally shaken my head at something Trump has said. I've seen that clip three times today, and honestly I can't watch it without my hand involuntarily covering my eyes. What an embarrassment he is.

• Love 5