Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Three Episode Talk

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

—whereas I got the impression that the card SC was reading for his interview questions was pretty much a script written by Hank Azaria, which omitted the unasked elephant of a question in the room of: "Well, then, Hank, tell us will you leave The Simpsons?" (if the issue of the character of Apu being used to torment the South Asian community isn't addressed).

it came up....

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/25/entertainment/hank-azaria-apu/index.html

26 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

How disappointing to have a monologue I could finally laugh at, for the first time in ages, only to be followed by the perennially unfunny Big Furry Hat.

SC seems to have trouble reading the cue cards from up there or something, but I did enjoy his almost-cracking up while reading that the spork was being upstaged by a cross between the spatula and the nutcracker that is the nutcrackula—probably because I was punchy with exhaustion while SC was probably a little drunk with punch. 

I did enjoy the cold open for once. Comedians should be able to milk the sound proof phone booth for jokes for quite some time. I especially enjoyed the sight gag of Clark Kent pausing to ask the question that begs (why does the head of the EPA need a sound proof phone booth in his office??) resulting in him getting CGI'd with the meteor he was going to save the world from; it was both very clever and well directed.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I did enjoy the cold open for once.

My favorite cold opens are usually Jim Anchorton/Jill Newslady, the lawyer guys, and the North Korea bits (because the woman doing the "translating" has an absolutely perfect cadence and tone).  

• Love 4

That story with H. Jon Benjamin and the threesome was screamingly funny - I lost it as badly as Colbert did.

My husband is a huge Archer and Bob's Burgers fan, so I'm going to have to save that one for him to watch.

• Love 6

I really wanted to hear more about Uganda. I was so disappointed when Colbert cut Patinkin off just as he was about to talk about how wonderful Ugandans are. How often do we ever hear anything remotely favorable about Uganda? I'm really bothered that he didn't get to finish what he was saying.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Miss Dee said:

That story with H. Jon Benjamin and the threesome was screamingly funny - I lost it as badly as Colbert did.

My husband is a huge Archer and Bob's Burgers fan, so I'm going to have to save that one for him to watch.

I never got into Archer but I LOVE Bob's Burgers. It's was fun for me to close my eyes for a second and pretend that Bob was being interviewed on LSSC.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

Watching Colbert crack up made me laugh that much harder :D. 

I would've liked to hear more about Patinkin's time in Uganda as well. I liked his comment about the 'Princess Bride' line that he suggested Ted Cruz should use. 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I liked his comment about the 'Princess Bride' line that he suggested Ted Cruz should use. 

I've seen Princess Bride a million times and I don't remember that line, either.  What's funny is that Mandy said it first in his best Inigo Montoya accent, and when nobody in the audience really responded, said it again in a normal voice, apparently thinking it was because people couldn't understand the accent.  

Oh, and Jon, you don't have to play "Mandy" when Mandy Patinkin comes on, because now that damn song is stuck in my head, all these hours later.

• Love 2
(edited)
42 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Last night he did his character from the Colbert Report.  Did Comedy Central finally give him permission to do it, or I wonder if he just said screw it.

Who cares! It was "COLBERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

????????????

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 8

I'm such a sap.  I was hoping Stephen would offer words of support to Michele Wolf (whom I'm confident can take care of herself, but still), but I heard "Stephen" utter the word "Nation", and little tears of nostalgia snuck down my cheeks.  It was like unexpectedly stumbling across a video of a long departed pet.  I knew at the start of the relationship that I would likely (hopefully) outlive it, but god I still miss "Stephen". 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Last night he did his character from the Colbert Report.  Did Comedy Central finally give him permission to do it, or I wonder if he just said screw it.

When the initial kerfuffle started about who owns the other Stephen Colbert the Late Show introduced identical twin cousin Stephen Colbert. Here's the clip of his first appearance. My impression was that at this point Comedy Central decided to let it go - maybe there was a gentleman's agreement that identical twin cousin Stephen wouldn't show up too often.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

If I have to guess, I'd say he just said screw it. It's not like he bothered to ask for permission the first time he did his character. I'm just wondering if he's going to get another letter from Comedy Central lawyers.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Hooper said:

I'm such a sap.  I was hoping Stephen would offer words of support to Michele Wolf (whom I'm confident can take care of herself, but still), but I heard "Stephen" utter the word "Nation", and little tears of nostalgia snuck down my cheeks.  It was like unexpectedly stumbling across a video of a long departed pet.  I knew at the start of the relationship that I would likely (hopefully) outlive it, but god I still miss "Stephen". 

Agreed. 

I loved that bit last night. And I loved his response to the whole WHCD controversy in general. 

• Love 3

The dilemmas of producing a live to tape show. Between the time Stephen interviewed Michael Avenatti and when the show and interview was broadcasted, Rudy Giuliani told Sean Hannity, on live TV, that Drumpf was indeed fully aware of Michael Cohen paying $130,000 to Stormy Daniels to be quiet about their affair (and nearly causing a massive stroke in "Lumpy"). And Avenatti goes on Lawrence O'Donnell's show, live an hour later, to gleefully talk about Giuliani spilling the beans. Stephen must have been exasperated - and somewhat amused - by that. Can't wait to see his response to all of it.

• Love 4

I really like Chris O'Donnell. I remember him from "Men Don't Leave." Another great, intelligent interview. Dick Grayson has done all right for himself. Grisha cleans up good! LOL. Chris is as charming IRL as his characters. It's good to see that Hollywood doesn't destroy everyone it touches -- some rise above it.

SC is the most talented talk show host ever. DL should have retired sooner.

• Love 2

Colbert has been on FIRE lately. How could he not be? With the addition of Rudy and such, it just gets wackier by the day... who knew it were possible?! ????‍♀️

Even the stabs at Melania are funny as hell. He’s right - her slogan is “be best”?! Girl, just “be better”! ?????‍♀️??‍♀️??‍♀️

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

Colbert has been on FIRE lately. How could he not be? With the addition of Rudy and such, it just gets wackier by the day... who knew it were possible?! ????‍♀️

Even the stabs at Melania are funny as hell. He’s right - her slogan is “be best”?! Girl, just “be better”! ?????‍♀️??‍♀️??‍♀️

His commentary on the Giuliani appearances was hysterical. Poor Stephanopolous...I half expected him to look into the camera like Jim from "The Office" at one point during his interview with Giuliani. 

I also cracked up at Colbert's reaction to tripping up on the whole "unpaid parking tickets" thing :p. And I liked his conversation with Parsons. I've only seen a little of "Big Bang Theory" here and there, but anytime I've seen Parsons on a late night show (I remember he was a frequent guest on Craig Ferguson's show, too), he always comes off like such a lovely guy :). 

• Love 7
On 5/3/2018 at 6:08 PM, Victor the Crab said:

i don't know why this quote box is here and I can't delete it.  Sorry

Came here to say the Jim Parsons is delightful!  He always does a great interview.  

• Love 7

Loved Melissa McCarthy’s Community Calendar for Plainfield, IL. I’m from that area—actually, the next town over, which interestingly enough connects Plainfield with another Community Calendar town, Minooka, which was presented by Nick Offerman. All they need is someone famous from Shorewood and they’d get the west-of-Joliet trifecta. The Minooka segment was funnier for me just because I actually worked at the two libraries that prompted the line, “What’s up with all the lasers at the libraries?” You could tell that Plainfield’s actual calendar was a little light on activities, though, since the really interesting stuff was going on in Naperville, the next town north. Plainfield has the wine walk and a lot of businesses opening, apparently. 

• Love 3

Same :D. That trailer was all kinds of awesome.

Also, while I totally agree with the anger people have over that caged tiger at that one school's prom, 'cause seriously, wtf, people....Stephen's take on that one person's post about, "DID THE TIGER ASK TO GO TO PROM?!" cracked me up. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ABay said:

I would totally watch Strangest Things season 1: The Golden Mystery.

Same! The cameos were great! Was that David Tennant?? I'm not gonna lie, was disappointed it wasn't Jeff Daniels playing himself but the ending made it worth it. And that kid! I'm just going to pretend his parents expose him to awesome music and not Dumb and Dumber.

• Love 3

A little belated, but I can't stop thinking about (and feeling disgusted and disappointed by) Jason Bateman's interview. I may have been reading too much into Stephen's subdued reaction, but it seemed like he too was uncomfortable with each time Bateman's story involved a "Lady Arnett" or "Mrs. Arnett" reference, implying that only a woman (naturally weak, amirite?) would have a cautious reaction to a so-called fender-bender (one that was nonetheless strong enough for the airbags to deploy). The first time he tossed out the Lady Arnett insult I was willing to forgive it, but it just kept going and going. THEN to read about and listen to the now-infamous NYT Arrested Development interview was just horrifying. To think I was going to get myself logged back into Netflix to get AD season 5.... now, no fucking way. I'll continue to watch Archer and Search Party for the ladies, though. (And hell, even the summertime guilty pleasure Gong Show for Mr. Arnett.)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Dewey Decimate said:

A little belated, but I can't stop thinking about (and feeling disgusted and disappointed by) Jason Bateman's interview. I may have been reading too much into Stephen's subdued reaction, but it seemed like he too was uncomfortable with each time Bateman's story involved a "Lady Arnett" or "Mrs. Arnett" reference, implying that only a woman (naturally weak, amirite?) would have a cautious reaction to a so-called fender-bender (one that was nonetheless strong enough for the airbags to deploy). The first time he tossed out the Lady Arnett insult I was willing to forgive it, but it just kept going and going. THEN to read about and listen to the now-infamous NYT Arrested Development interview was just horrifying.

He kept using "she" to refer to Arnett also.

He seems to lack the ability to hear what is coming out of his own mouth. 

• Love 3

Chris Matthews seemed positively manic during his interview. I’m as upset as everyone else about the Trump administration but if our spokespeople ( and I’m looking at you,too Sam Bee)don’t calm the f. down we are going to look as nuts as the  When you people start loosing your shit, I’m starting to think we’re in real trouble.

• Love 1

I loved the show's redone North Korea movie trailer! "Lose their virginity before prom" was funny, but I absolutely lost it when they included Dolph Lungren. The piece de resistance!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

The “Mooch”and Avenatti went over like a lead balloon. 

Two guys who need attention more than a room full of Kardashians.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, ahisma said:

I loved the show's redone North Korea movie trailer! "Lose their virginity before prom" was funny, but I absolutely lost it when they included Dolph Lungren. The piece de resistance!

That video was hilarious. For some reason the use of "All-Star" made me laugh especially hard. Though I also kind of cursed at them during the whole"virginity" bit because I don't want to think about anything sexual in relation to Trump and Kim.

(The actual video, though...I can't believe that was a real thing. What even is with this administration, seriously?)

1 hour ago, Brandi Maxxxx said:

I don't know why they were on the show but I think Stephen did really well in that interview.

Agreed. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Brandi Maxxxx said:

I don't know why they were on the show but I think Stephen did really well in that interview.

Didn't Colbert mention they were shilling/pitching their own show? Maybe that was a joke but it sounded serious (i.e. crazy enough to be believable).

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

Didn't Colbert mention they were shilling/pitching their own show? Maybe that was a joke but it sounded serious (i.e. crazy enough to be believable).

Yeah a show with both of them is being pitched to networks, although Avenatti -- a man who's never met a TV camera he didn't want to shove his face into -- claims has "no interest in television right now.”

I don't know if this was supposed to be a proof of concept, or if Colbert's people just read that and thought "Hah let's make that happen!" but either way, I don't think the networks will be fighting each other to make this a reality.

Edited by retrograde
  • Love 2

I was glad Colbert was more willing to challenge them than he was when Jason Bateman was the guest. But I agree that a show with Avenatti and Scaramucci is a terrible idea, and I was really annoyed that they wasted any time on it. I've heard rumors that it's something they want, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone picks it up, or something like it. There are a lot of "panels" like this, and both these guys have a lot of name recognition. But I think we need more actual journalism and less airtime for people just arguing over their opinions and delivering their talking points.

• Love 4