Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Three Episode Talk

• Start Topic

My guide on TV says tonight was season 2, episode 208, but hey...

So we went from farts to peeing.  Never been a big fan of scatological humor but I laughed.  I love Liev Schreiber.  He has the best voice and I like him even better as a narrator than as an actor.  As for Joe Buck, he's totally not my favorite announcer but I've always respected his willingness to laugh at himself.

Oh my Lord, I just saw the Jim Parsons interview and I'm crying. "We're legal! Just like Mom and Dad were!" That, right there, is why LGBTQIA rights are so damned important. And his description of what it was like to be with his love...gah. Tears.

And I had no idea he was so sweet and so articulate and intelligent! I'm almost convinced to watch Young Sheldon now, just to be supportive of him in the only way I know how. I think I might be in love, just a little bit.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

When I heard Chance the Rapper was on, I stayed up to watch because of his financial support of Chicago Public Schools. Who knew a rapper could be such a sweetheart or that rap music could be so moving.

I didn't know they were friends but I can see why they are!  Such a sweet rapport between them.

• Love 7

Colbert in his Sunday School teacher cardigan completely unable to keep a straight face during that sketch with Nick Kroll sent me to bed with a smile on my face. "My penis has never been whiter. You gotta see it smile!" Stephen looks devasted by his own laughter. Ah-mazing. 

As always, love his rapport with Chance the Rapper. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Delwyn said:

Colbert in his Sunday School teacher cardigan completely unable to keep a straight face during that sketch with Nick Kroll sent me to bed with a smile on my face. "My penis has never been whiter. You gotta see it smile!" Stephen looks devasted by his own laughter. Ah-mazing. 

As always, love his rapport with Chance the Rapper. 

I've never seen him break character so much!!!!

• Love 4

Harrison Ford may be showing his age, but his comic timing and physicality were perfection. I seriously LOLed at the ice fishing joke, which made SC's joke seem like a failure in comparison. I wonder if SC planned it that way out of deference for HF.

7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Harrison Ford may be showing his age, but his comic timing and physicality were perfection. I seriously LOLed at the ice fishing joke, which made SC's joke seem like a failure in comparison. I wonder if SC planned it that way out of deference for HF.

HF was over with Jimmy Fallon.

I was ok with their chemistry, it was Jerry's inability to connect with why Bill Cosby might be hard to find funny, anymore. That after a few years now of hearing about his actions (heinous on their own, but also hypocritical in the face of what a lecturer he can be to other people), Jerry still can't see it. Even if he chose to disagree, it's like he hasn't given anyone else's experience a second thought.

• Love 2

This is very late, but I absolutely LOL'd at Stephen's version of Lawrence O'Donnell's meltdown.  Just thinking about it now, and I'm still laughing.  And, boy, do I need the laughter.

• Love 1

I was just watching the Russell Brand interview, and I found it awkward.  Stephen didn’t seem very comfortable with him.  I think Russell is intelligent, but I find him to be a bit of dick.  It seems like he believes himself to be smarter than he is. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saoirse said:

Jon Batiste's New Orleans pre-taped bit was great! Such a nice piece, and getting to see a bit more of him was nice - I feel like it took some time for him to get comfortable with being on camera, but he's there now.

I almost always cut out after the monologue, but I watched the whole show tonight (good interviews with Jackie Chan and Bob Schieffer), and Jon's segment was unexpected and adorkable!

• Love 2
15 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I almost always cut out after the monologue, but I watched the whole show tonight (good interviews with Jackie Chan and Bob Schieffer), and Jon's segment was unexpected and adorkable!

I HOWLED at the say something nice between Stephen and Jon!!!! God I miss Jon.

• Love 5

It's always nice to see Jon Stewart on the Late Show.

Jon Batiste's New Orleans pre-taped bit was great. I wish he would have more bits like that.

BTW, I'm 99% sure that was Colbert's son John on the drums (after the ad break, before Bob Schieffer interview).

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

I took me a while to figure out who she reminded me of, but suddenly realized that Tracee Ellis Ross and Ilana Glazer are sisters-from-another-misters.

And don't forget Carla Hall from The Chew!!

As a "Criminal Minds" fan, I greatly enjoyed seeing Shemar Moore on the show tonight :D. Love the "ab-off" thing they did, and Stephen teasing Shemar about his tendency to walk around shirtless :p. Really cute, fun interview. 

(Also, Shemar's mom has good taste in men. Yep.)

The Jake Tapper interview was good, too, though I share in Stephen's feelings of despair now. Ugh. LOL at the whole "apple/banana" thing, though. 

Loved seeing Stephen and Amy chatting it up again last night as well. I love when he gets to hang out with old friends. 

• Love 2

Oh my God, I just finished the latest Covetton House segment and I am CRYING. Literal tears streaming down my face together with barely catching my breath.

Of all Colbert's regular segments, this is my favourite. The viciousness with which he punctures the pretentious bullshit around GOOP and everything connected with it is glorious.

• Love 2

Good thing I am snuggled with my rescue cat or I'd have to throw something at the teevee...again...for Stephen, as usual, only focusing on dogs.

On 10/28/2017 at 11:52 AM, Miss Dee said:

Of all Colbert's regular segments, this is my favourite. The viciousness with which he punctures the pretentious bullshit around GOOP and everything connected with it is glorious.

What gobsmacks me is that there are apparently real people with real money burning it on Gwyneth's vanity project.  I mean, GOOP seems like a parody all by itself, even without Covetton House.

• Love 3
On 10/28/2017 at 11:52 AM, Miss Dee said:

Oh my God, I just finished the latest Covetton House segment and I am CRYING. Literal tears streaming down my face together with barely catching my breath.

Mine too. It really reminds me of TCR as far as combining vicious satire with absurdist humor without him having to do the character again. I hope that when Goop is inevitably sold to some big conglomerate or revealed to be a front all along that Viacom will allow him to have Covetton House become part of Prescott Pharmaceuticals.

• Love 4

I may just be a sensitive snowflake, but I was somewhat disconcerted to see, after all the coverage of sexual misconduct and harassment, a scene of a man baring his butt to a female colleague (albeit a fictional setting and from times past) shown for laughs.  Am I reading it wrong?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I may just be a sensitive snowflake, but I was somewhat disconcerted to see, after all the coverage of sexual misconduct and harassment, a scene of a man baring his butt to a female colleague (albeit a fictional setting and from times past) shown for laughs.  Am I reading it wrong?

I didn't seen last night's episode (CBS's signal was breaking up too much) and now I don't think I'll try to catch it online. But given the Louie C.K. reveal yesterday, I'm not sure what they were going for. Maybe it was related?
Early this morning I deleted an example of how to cite a YouTube video (for college students) that was Louis C.K.'s last appearance on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. I replaced it with a YouTube video that was a demo on editing Wikipedia narrated by an anonymous male librarian. At least no sensitive snowflakes will be disturbed when looking up how to cite a YouTube video at our college, LOL.

1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

didn't seen last night's episode (CBS's signal was breaking up too much) and now I don't think I'll try to catch it online. But given the Louie C.K. reveal yesterday, I'm not sure what they were going for. Maybe it was related?

It was an old clip of William H. Macy, so it wasn't designed for the show.  I just thought it was inappropriate, given the current climate.

• Love 1

She walked into his room to find him that way, and hospital gowns were notorious for their butt-baring qualities.  I don't see a reason to question the clip itself.  Now, why they decided to talk about that clip is another matter.

• Love 2

Ugh! I just caught that INFURIATING interview with Affleck! I'm glad Stephen didn't let him get away without bringing up sexual harassment allegations, but then letting Affleck shrug it off with some lame "Well, there is an allegation against me, and I don't remember it, but she said I touched her chest, it was during a hug or something" as if maybe Hilarie Burton was just some dumb lady who didn't know the difference between hugging and groping... as if this is just coming up now because of Weinstien and bandwagoning, and AS IF it was a recent surprise to him and not something noticed and commented on BACK WHEN IT HAPPENED, and as if it was the only allegation!

It is completely maddening that he gets to shrug this off AGAIN, and pretend to distance himself from Weinstein, whose abusive behaviour he has defended until now (when the tide of public opinion is against him), and make vague comments about how much he's been hurt learning about the experiences of women close to him, without ever actually taking responsibility for his own actions! He came across like a complete dirtbag. And I'm all for people learning from their mistakes and making better choices in the future... but he's so obviously trying to sweep this under the rug FAST, and fake like he's on the right side of the issue and always has been (and let's definitely not bring up supporting his brother though sexual assault allegations).... I can't remember the last time I watched an interview while boiling with such unbridled RAGE. I get that it's Stephen's job to make celebrities look good and help sell their projects, but this was a hard one to watch.

Edited by Slovenly Muse
Found another link
  • Love 5

Why did Stephen's interview with Alia Shawkat seem so rushed? He didn't even throw back to her to explain the scene from Search Party. I thought she was really well-spoken and wanted to hear more.

And did my ears deceive me, or did the lyrics to that Dead etc. song include the line "share the women/share the wine"? Great fucking bookend to all the sexual-harassment-is-bad talk. I'm sometimes glad I'm half-way done with my life because this shit is so ingrained, it ain't leaving anytime soon...

• Love 2

I am never not there for Colbert/Banana prop comedy shout outs.

PS: When your “Charlie Rose is wonderful banter” comes across as incredibly callous because of pre-taping. 

Edited by Delwyn
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Delwyn said:

That was absolutely hilarious :D. 

(What a stupid invention, too, that tent thing. I kept wondering how often people would likely wind up tripping over the little side thing you could put your legs in.)

3 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Senator Warren pretty much filibustered the Franken question AND Stephen let her get away with it.  So much for taking a strong stand.

Yeah, she really danced around directly answering that question, didn't she? 

Given the mention of pre-taping in regards to the Charlie Rose thing, it'll be interesting to see what Stephen might say about that tonight. I like that he has been discussing this issue where possible on his show. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Annber03 said:
On 11/21/2017 at 3:05 AM, Delwyn said:

That was absolutely hilarious :D. 

(What a stupid invention, too, that tent thing. I kept wondering how often people would likely wind up tripping over the little side thing you could put your legs in.)

"we never said it wasn't a tent".   That was just flat out hilarious. 

TBS, I have not been impressed with the show lately. The monologues just bore me to tears.  I guess I'm just worn out from Trump.  And I don't like the opening where they announce in that little cutesy headline what he's going to talk about.  I find nothing funny about the sexual harassment allegations, and it's not that a joke couldn't be made, in the right context,  I just don't think Colbert's writers are coming up with anything interesting or funny. 

I've actually started watching The Opposition. Maybe because it's like Colbert Report, but I find Jordan Klepper very good at playing an Alex Jones type idiot.  He did the same joke Colbert did re the  Louis Gohmert flow chart. 

I still love Colbert but sometimes I wonder if he's burnt out on T***p.  His commentary was more scathing a few months ago.  I don't feel like he goes in hard enough on the tax bs the Republicans are trying to pass.   

Edited by partofme
  • Love 1

I think it's definitely gotten to a point of frustration and despair, for sure. I know he's talked with a couple of his more politically-oriented guests about why the Republican Party hasn't done more to rein Trump in, but since their explanations just further make the whole situation all the more depressing, that definitely seems to be impacting his commentary to some degree. Especially since it seems no matter how much people protest or call Trump or the Republicans out for their behavior and the stuff they're trying to pass, they're clearly not listening and don't seem to care what people think. I can see where one would start to think, "Why bother?" after that, and where the monologues would start to reflect that attitude. 

I am glad he's still discussing this stuff, though. And I do agree that he should talk more about the whole tax thing. I'd also be interested to hear his commentary on this upcoming net neutrality vote. 

• Love 3