Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E13: Top 6 Perform

• Start Topic

I finally watched the duets and the only ones worth watching were Kaylee/Cyrus and Koine/Marko. As a whole, it was a let down. 

I'm also glad that Cyrus and Fik-Shun got time to shine in the group piece. They're always relegated to the back of the formations. 

• Love 1

Lex's Samba was a hot mess.  So was the disco, but that's Doriana Sanchez for you.  I'm pretty sure Brandon and Janette were the only couple I ever saw not just survive but actually manage to perform one of her routines (I feel like Lacy and Cameron in S3 were solid, but he was boring when he wasn't battling the choreography for his very life).  When she said "they're going to be hanging on for dear life," I had two thoughts in quick succession: 1) "Of course, Doriana.  That is literally all you do," and 2) "Bitch, why is that all that you do?"  Seriously, it's a wonder no one has gotten injured doing it before.   That said, Lex is not good at partnering and to me he looked off balance in most of the lifts which likely led to his getting hurt.  But seriously, while I don't think routines should be dumbed-down, per se, when a couple is struggling that much with lifts.... maybe pare it down a bit in the interest of these kids' lives.

I'm glad Kione is in the finale, don't mind Kiki being in or Taylor... But I'm annoyed that they're both in.  Kiki is hardly the first dancer to make the finale on personality and story (I love Cyrus, but he was not good at anything not his style and that remains true). And Taylor isn't the first in a finale to bore me.  But I feel like this is the first time there is one of each in the top 4. And I'm straight up PISSED that Logan isn't in the finale.  

As for Kaylee, I'm sorry to see her go, but hardly surprised. 

Edited by RachelKM
Grammar and typos. What was with me a homonyms last night?
  • Love 4

I'm glad Kiki made it. I'm a fan. I think he performs more consistently than any of the other male contestants. He is a little too ballroom out of genre, but he's not the first dance in the f4 who never truly left their genre. Heck, I don't even think he's the only dancer this season since Taylor always reads as contemporary to me. I

I'm also not surprised Kiki made it to f4 because he's the only male left who generates convincing chemistry with his partners, but he still has a non-threatening boyishness about his look. He reminds me of Pasha that way (and I think Pasha would have been f4 if not for Neil getting the table dance). He's safe sexy, which is right for the SYTYCD demographic.

I feel like Logan and Lex both in the finale would be too samey, so I'm glad only one of them made it. But if it were up to me Logan would be in and Lex would be out. I love Lex's solos so much. I could watch him dance by himself for ages. For some reason, he doesn't seem to know how to partner yet. I don't get it. Don't male ballet dancers start partnering super early? Doriana did one of her best choreographies and Koine KILLED it. But Lex was just bad. He looked like he had never lifted a partner before in his life. And basically everything he did was wrong in the samba (Gaby looked really good, but I'm not sure if she benefited from comparison). That was a great Brazilian influenced Dancesport samba choreography. 

I thought Kaylee went out on a high note, so I'm glad for her. The Bollywood was fun, and I liked both her and Kiki in it.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Sd601 said:

Kiki has grown on me. I like his solos and I watched him more than Jenna last week. His turns are fast and crisp. But I don't think he's top 4 material at all. 

I have always loved Latin Ballroom and always root for the ballroom contestants on this show. For some reason, Kiki is not a favorite this season.....not even on my radar. I think it is his style in his specialty that I don't care for. Anyone who is a Latin Ballroom fan, like I am, knows of Karina Smirnoff's professional partner, Slavik. Now, this man has a style that I find myself immersed in when I watch him dance. Kiki just doesn't do it for me.

This has to be my favorite Cha Cha of all time. Just in case you haven't seen this, watch to the end and see Slavik slay his solo........

Karina and Slavik - Cha Cha

• Love 4

Performances from this week:

Group dances:

Spoiler

Top 6 & All Stars (Christopher Scott)

All Stars

Top 6 duets with each other:

Spoiler

Kaylee & Kiki - Bollywood (Nakul Dev Mahajan)

Koine & Lex - disco (Doriana Sanchez)

Logan & Taylor - jazz (Mark Kanemura)

Top 6 duets with All Stars:

Spoiler

Logan & Allison - contemporary (Dee Caspary)

Taylor & Robert - hip hop (Keone & Mari)

Koine & Marko - contemporary (Mandy Horpinen and Elizabeth Petrin)

Kaylee & Cyrus - hip hop (Phillip Chbeeb)

Kiki & Jenna - jazz (Ray Leeper)

Lex & Gaby - samba (Sasha Farber)

Solos:

Spoiler

Kaylee

Kiki

Lex

Koine

Logan

Taylor

55 minutes ago, RachelKM said:

Lex's Samba was a hot mess.  So was the disco, but that's Doriana Sanchez for you.  I'm pretty sure Brandon and Jeanette were the only couple I ever saw not just survive but actually manage to perform one of her routines (I feel like Lacy and Cameron in S3 were solid, but he was boring when he wasn't battling the choreography for his very life).  When she said "they're going to be hanging on for dear life," I had two thoughts in quick succession: 1) "Of course, Doriana.  That is literally all you do," and 2) "Bitch, why is that all that you do?"  Seriously, it's a wonder no one has gotten injured doing it before.   That said, Lex is not good at partnering and to me he looked off balance in most of the lifts which likely led to his getting hurt.  But seriously, while I don't think routines should be dumbed-down, per se, when a couple is struggling that much with lifts.... maybe pair it down a bit in the interest of these kids' lives.

Compared to most of Doriana's past routines, this does look like it was paired down.  In fact, this was along the lines of the disco she did for Neil/Sara in S3, music and all.  It even started with the male doing his standout--Neil did turns/flips and Lex did turns/split.  I guess Neil was more use to partnering because I don't remember him missing a connection?  I won't say anything about the samba from two nonballroom dancers.  I never expect it to turn out well.  That's why I still give credit to Josh/Katee (S4) for theirs.

3 hours ago, GeminiDancer said:

I finally watched the duets and the only ones worth watching were Kaylee/Cyrus and Koine/Marko. As a whole, it was a let down. 

I liked those as well.  But the standout for me was Dee's routine performed by Logan/Allison.

4 minutes ago, crossover said:

Compared to most of Doriana's past routines, this does look like it was paired down.  In fact, this was along the lines of the disco she did for Neil/Sara in S3, music and all.  It even started with the male doing his standout--Neil did turns/flips and Lex did turns/split.  I guess Neil was more use to partnering because I don't remember him missing a connection?  I won't say anything about the samba from two nonballroom dancers.  I never expect it to turn out well.  That's why I still give credit to Josh/Katee (S4) for theirs.

Maybe it just looked more difficult because of the struggle.  I spent most of the routine fearing Kione's life. 

• Love 2

So tonight's theme was PROPS. I don't want to sound like a cranky old lady, but can we just have some dancing? I don't mind if the prop serves a purpose but good lord, it felt like every dance this week had a prop. We've got flower petals, black and white boxes, more flower petals, a stick, wings, a metal box, a hanger in a closet, etc.

What really bothers me is when the props become the focus of the dance. Despite that, I enjoyed the big group number with the black and white boxes.

I don't have an issue with disco per se, but I feel like Doriana's routines are always more of the same, which is a frenetic liftapalooza. But disco is more than that (and I say that as someone who doesn't love disco), as we saw from the group routine earlier this season.

Allison and Logan's routine reminded me why I loved Allison so much in S2. I'm disappointed that Logan was cut because I think he's a better dancer than Kiki, but I'm guessing TPTB didn't want two contemporary guys in the finale.

Taylor looked sloppy in both of her dances tonight. She's not a bad dancer, but she didn't look as sharp or polished in her movements this week. I love Mark K, but what was that Coachella mess of a routine this week?

I love watching Koine and Marko dance together and I liked their performance this week, but I felt like it was half aerial work and half dancing. One of the things that makes Koine such a good dancer is that she performs with her entire body and her facial expressions are appropriate for each dance (unlike Kiki who keeps opening and closing his mouth like a guppy with his ballroom faces). She had beautiful pointed toes during her solo!

I have been wanting to see Koine and Lex dance together, but a disco? No thanks! Koine sold it as best she could but I'm tired of Doriana's disco routines. In the moments when they weren't transitioning in and out of lifts, Koine and Lex looked like they were having fun with each other.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I have been wanting to see Koine and Lex dance together, but a disco? No thanks! Koine sold it as best she could but I'm tired of Doriana's disco routines. In the moments when they weren't transitioning in and out of lifts, Koine and Lex looked like they were having fun with each other.

Yes, they both looked joyful, and Koine danced really well. The saving grace of both of Lex's performances this week was the fact that he looked like he was having fun. It must have been especially difficult during that Disco.

31 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Allison and Logan's routine reminded me why I loved Allison so much in S2.

Allison was very, very good in that routine. Logan was disappointing in comparison -- his movement looked strange in comparison to hers, like he was trying to copy her power and speed and precision, but failed. 

It's strange because I've always loved his solos, and the one he did last night was his best.

I also feel like there is some cross something or other to get his ass back on DWTS  I am so distressed at his presence in the top 4, esp over Logan and I keep wondering wtf it means

WTF it means is that Nigel (like our President IMHO) doesn't do anything unless it helps him.  Nigel must have a financial tie with DWTS.  But Kiki is the least sexy Latin ballroom dancer I've ever seen, so why are they trying so hard.

Did Mark Kanemura gain weight or is it just because he’s older that he looks so different?  He looks like someone’s Dad now.

Why is there no slow ballroom this year—Viennese Waltz, etc??

Lex sucked as a partner in the Samba and Disco.  Sucked badly.  His own personal performance in each of those dances were fine,b ut he has no partnering skills and also seems to have no interest in developing them.  His wheelhouse is individual performance.

I hold hope for the fact that my beautiful/homely Logan will go far, since he's so young.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

WTF it means is that Nigel (like our President IMHO) doesn't do anything unless it helps him.  Nigel must have a financial tie with DWTS.  But Kiki is the least sexy Latin ballroom dancer I've ever seen, so why are they trying so hard.

Did Mark Kanemura gain weight or is it just because he’s older that he looks so different?  He looks like someone’s Dad now.

Why is there no slow ballroom this year—Viennese Waltz, etc??

Lex sucked as a partner in the Samba and Disco.  Sucked badly.  His own personal performance in each of those dances were fine,b ut he has no partnering skills and also seems to have no interest in developing them.  His wheelhouse is individual performance.

I hold hope for the fact that my beautiful/homely Logan will go far, since he's so young.

I always try to remember that this show is one long tryout for these dancers. They are getting a chance to showcase what they can do and how versatile they are over the course of the show. Even when they don't win, or even make top 4, they have gotten the attention of people in the dance world that they would have been hard pressed to reach. Logan is a talented dancer and I think he will do fine after the show. 

Although I'm not a huge Kiki fan, I don't think he's awful. I also know that some dancers make in impact in person that doesn't come across on TV. It's possible that the judges are seeing something we don't in Kiki because they are watching live.

• Love 1

Since I have been so critical of her I do have to direct my first comments to Kaylee, unbelievably Nigel agreed with me to boot, she has never looked as free, genuine and open as she did in the bollywood routine.  If she had let that spirit shine like that previously she might have been in final four.  Where was that girl the whole season?  I enjoyed her even if I thought the number was pretty weak sauce.

My heart broke when I realized with the way they were doing announcements that both Koine and Logan were not going through to finale.  I was thrilled for Koine, who has been my girl from the start, but brokenhearted for Logan, who also deserved to continue.  I would suspect that for a very sad reason we might see Logan in finale afterall, except that they're combining votes from this week and next -- and obviously Logan's votes will have been cut off with his elimination.   Kiki and Taylor haven't earned their spots in the finale with me.  Taylor has some incredible technical skills, but absolutely zero emotional resonance, none.  Kiki is skilled in ballroom.

Enough with the Doriana Sanchez twisting speedlift numbers!  They are not something to hang on inexperienced dancers in a week.  Makes me sick to think production and the choreographer don't have more care and concern for the wellbeing and career potential of these dancers to exercise proper restraint.   The one number that sticks in my memory as working was I believe S9 with All Star Brandon and Audrey spinning like a glorious golden disco ball on the stage.   I had been thinking we were going to dodge the disco bullet this season.  Unfortunately not, particularly for Lex.

Lex only shone for me this week in his solo.  I don't like his chemistry with Gaby, and I'm not certain it's about Lex not showing emotion.  I've felt for weeks there is a tension between them.  I felt a spark with Koine was muffled when it came time to bring it to the stage and I suspect it was about serious pain on Lex's part.  So, so very disappointed the show chose to jeopardize dancers' careers and futures with that damn disco!

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Sd601 said:

Kiki has grown on me. I like his solos and I watched him more than Jenna last week. His turns are fast and crisp. But I don't think he's top 4 material at all. 

So I think on paper, lex and Gabby should have had a great partnership. Both have that quality that makes me watch them in group routines. I wasn't a huge Gabby fan her season, but I like her quality of movement in big routines--it's not big and flashy like Allison or sexy smooth like Jenna. Just something draws my eye. Obviously choreographers feel similarly, as both are often featured up front. But together they fall flat. Lex seems so awkward around her. Well, he's just awkward in general. Personally, i find it endearing, but I'm sure it's uncomfortable for others. Sasha was clapping for them after their samba, but didn't look super enthusiastic. I liked lex in it (thought Gabby looked stiff. Koine looked better last week), but I'm not any kind of ballroom expert. I had fun watching lex. 

Would Logan have benefited from waiting a year or two to audition for the show? Why does he seem so much younger? I like him in many routines, but I just wasn't compelled to watch him. I can't put my finger on why.

Was Kaylee off in the beginning dance? In a routine where one should blend in, I found her dancing stood out. I'm trying to decide what all-star I would have preferred with her: Joshua Allen? Twitch? Her dance style is unique, and I can't figure out who would best complement her. Definitely not Cyrus. I kinda liked Philip's routine tonight. 

I'm thrilled Koine is in the final. I like her. Not sure who I'm voting for yet. Taylor is meh. Pretty. Decent. But that's all I can say. Her routine with Robert was odd. I thought they didn't go all together. 

I'm still watching ?

I was thinking that of all the "street" dancers that have been on the show, Joshua would have made the best partner. However, I'm pretty sure he will never be brought back.

Edited by Percysowner
  • Love 1

Although Lex was really hurt I doubt it is career ending, so Lex in the short term I want this kid to get healthy, he has been pretty great as a soloist and a group member. I wonder if Logan will come back for the finale, I love to watch him dance, and this is a dancers life so it would not be out of the ordinary for someone to sub in.  It will be interesting to see how the show handles this. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, crossover said:

I've always liked the 1st bollywood--S4 Josh/Katee.  There will never be a disco as good as S5 Brandon/Janette.  I even liked Ade/Melissa's.  S1 and S3 had good disco routines but I don't think they were Doriana??  At least, S1 and S3 didn't have all the lifts.

Actually I think Doriana has been the disco choreographer since season one.  I remember being stunned that the very slight Nick Lazzarini could manage the lifts so well and wondered if it was possible because he and Melody were so used to working together.

ETA  Some of the most successful careers for competitors from this show have not come from those crowned the winner.  Also, I suspect that Lex is a big piece of the bait that lured Mia back.  Sadly I suspect that the return of Wade and Mia is a real indication the end is nigh and these are their farewells to the show.

Edited by Tikichick
  • Love 1

It’s so funny that when I saw Doriana in the audience I immediately said OH NO that disco B is back somebody is gonna die LOL  I find her choreography maybe 2 minutes longer than necessary and the dancers never seem to be enjoying themselves.  It’s so strength based with all the lifts that only the muscular dancers seem to be able to keep up with it.  She should maybe only do group routines.  I really felt for Lex because he looked like he was in some serious pain up there. 

Nigel has had a hard on for Ki Ki and I think it is because KiKi is that masculine male dancer that he likes.  In recent years Nigel has cut back a lil on berating the male dancers not being masculine enough.  With KiKi he has his unicorn of a masculine dancer that he can push forward.  Maybe he is also looking for another male ballroom allstar down the line and with his pimping him out to DWTS in a year or two he can come back as an allstar. Not that I think he deserves to be.    

Whereas I think what did Kaylee in (even though the female competition has been tight) was that she was not feminine enough.  There is no softness with her.  She is all strength which makes for a good dancer but does not fill Nigel’s requirement for the female dancers to get him aroused in order to go all the way.  Shallow comment coming up warning (LOL) she really needs to rethink her makeup and hair color choices – the intentional paleness of her foundation, matt lip and blue hair all come together in an unflattering way.  It’s a shame because she is a powerful dancer.

Was not impressed with Mark K’s choreo last night.  It seemed like a mash up of moves that I have previously seen in a Ga Ga performance.  On a shallow note I like how he has aged. 

Also was it just me or did anyone else get a creepy vibe from Lex’s mentor as we he was speaking his praises?  I got a “they had sex”  vibe. 

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Some of the most successful careers for competitors from this show have not come from those crowned the winner.  Also, I suspect that Lex is a big piece of the bait that lured Mia back.  Sadly I suspect that the return of Wade and Mia is a real indication the end is nigh and these are their farewells to the show.

Mia's back? Because of Lex? That would be the ultimate "we-want-this-guy-to-win" routine! 

I especially think throwing in disco in a week where the competitors dance 3 times is even more reckless and disrespectful.

6 minutes ago, fan94 said:

Mia's back? Because of Lex? That would be the ultimate "we-want-this-guy-to-win" routine! 

Yes, they announced that Mia is back for two routines next week.  I predict a group routine and the guys' final number dancing together.  Good luck, Kiki.  (Please show us Ms. Michaels' facial expressions in closeup when she's forced to attempt to do something with him in rehearsal.)    If I am right I will be watching and imagining the number performed with Lex and Logan.

Edited by Tikichick
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Yes, they announced that Mia is back for two routines next week.  I predict a group routine and the guys' final number dancing together.  Good luck, Kiki.  (Please show us Ms. Michaels' in closeup when she's forced to attempt to do something with him in rehearsal.)    If I am right I will be watching and imagining the number performed with Lex and Logan.

I'm here for Mia telling everyone that Lex should win. XD

Wow, the show's pulling out all stops, isn't it?

I'd rather have Lex and Koine dance her routine, though.

Edited by fan94
  • Love 1

I was so disappointed with the bottom three but glad of all of them that Koine was saved. I really wanted Taylor and Kiki to be in the bottom and leave. Unfortunately I think having Kiki in the bottom last week rallied his fans to make sure he made it through this time. I just don't see him improving that much - I feel like every choreographer is adjusting to him and adding props to distract. I think Logan was way more justified to stay around than Kiki. But am glad that Lex made it through. You knew they would make sure to have an even number of guys and girls in the finale. 

While I think Logan is uber talented I finally realized what slightly bothers me with him - he is so bendy that he always goes to extremes. He doesn't seem to have quite the control to hold that back and work with others in his group. It throws the timing slightly off. It's like the dancer in Center Stage who keeps trying to do a triple instead of the choreographed double. 

I really miss the top 20 and between the top 10, barely any dancing shown at the academy, the immense focus on the all-stars, and now a double elimination, the season feels ridiculously short. I feel like I don't have a huge vested interest in the dancers as much as I have in the past. I just finally remember Taylor's name! I wish they had the audition eps be 2 hours so that they would have only lasted two weeks. Then the academy should have focused on the dancers and not the all-stars. And they should never have the schedule work out that they have to do a double elimination if it starts with a top 10. 

Back to the ep specifically - I was crazy impressed with some of the routines last night. When the two new young choreographers popped up with Marko and Koine I was a bit nervous - but I loved the closet routine! Kaylee nailed her routine with Cyrus. So happy to see Chbeebe back!!! Enjoyed the opening number with the blocks (knew instantly it was a Christopher Scott routine). 

• Love 4

Because I was pissed off that Kiki was probably going through to f4, I very carefully didn't take my eyes offa him, esp during the Leeper piece. Ridiculous - there were even a couple of times when the camera focused on Jenna so hard that she filled the screen and I couldn't see him at all.

And on a similar note, the f6 come out and then all 10 Allstars?  What are these people smoking?

Didn't really like the opening number - it seemed like it would be great if done precisely, but it was pretty sloppy looking to my eyes.

I also got the same creepy vibe from Lex's mentor.  As a teacher, I get super disturbed not just by the statuatory issue, but also by the sullying of the student-teacher bond.

I did predict that Koine would get the disco, but its direness as a dance is being overshadowed by the stupidity of the injuries.

Hmmm Kiki, Koine, Taylor and Lex.  I have big trouble seeing ANY of the first 3 winning.  I feel a Kiki win would be worse than a Melanie s8 win and that is saying something.

I did NOT love the closet routine.  Nearly every time they reached for the twisty center thing, it was so strongly telegraphed - they needed 2 more weeks practise with that prop to make it fluid and seamless.

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, fan94 said:

I'm here for Mia telling everyone that Lex should win. XD

Wow, the show's pulling out all stops, isn't it?

I'd rather have Lex and Koine dance her routine, though.

I'm not going based on what I want to see.   I'm basing my suspicions on what the picture might have looked like weeks back, possibly even to the actual time of Academy, with production's guesses as to who would be in it come finale.  I think money was down for Lex and Logan, and it's likely Mia is familiar with both, or Lex at the very least.  Of course it could be a Lex/Taylor number since she is also a known commodity.  I just don't credit her being able to sell it -- I mean Robert has had his hands full this season trying to sell their routines -- and it ain't her technique holding them back!

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

I'm not going based on what I want to see.   I'm basing my suspicions on what the picture might have looked like weeks back, possibly even to the actual time of Academy, with production's guesses as to who would be in it come finale.  I think money was down for Lex and Logan, and it's likely Mia is familiar with both, or Lex at the very least.  Of course it could be a Lex/Taylor number since she is also a known commodity.  I just don't credit her being able to sell it -- I mean Robert has had his hands full this season trying to sell their routines -- and it ain't her technique holding them back!

Ah, maybe that was why Nigel was "shocked".

Where was it announced, BTW? I haven't seen any sources. I think I am missing something, and I haven't watched the full show, just the dances.

Just now, fan94 said:

Ah, maybe that was why Nigel was "shocked".

Where was it announced, BTW? I haven't seen any sources. I think I am missing something, and I haven't watched the full show, just the dances.

Cat announced it during the show last night.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, NYCNJbear06 said:

It’s so funny that when I saw Doriana in the audience I immediately said OH NO that disco B is back somebody is gonna die LOL  I find her choreography maybe 2 minutes longer than necessary and the dancers never seem to be enjoying themselves.  It’s so strength based with all the lifts that only the muscular dancers seem to be able to keep up with it.  She should maybe only do group routines.  I really felt for Lex because he looked like he was in some serious pain up there. 

I immediately thought the same when they showed the christopher scott after the opening number - NO NOT DORIANA!!!! While I may get frustrated when the choreo gets dumbed down to work with a less skilled dancer - I hate it more when the choreo completely ignores the dancers strengths and she never seems to adjust. She has one idea/style of disco and that's it. 

Nigel has had a hard on for Ki Ki and I think it is because KiKi is that masculine male dancer that he likes.  In recent years Nigel has cut back a lil on berating the male dancers not being masculine enough.  With KiKi he has his unicorn of a masculine dancer that he can push forward.  Maybe he is also looking for another male ballroom allstar down the line and with his pimping him out to DWTS in a year or two he can come back as an allstar. Not that I think he deserves to be.  

NO!!! Please don't make Kiki an all-star!!! :(  He should never have made it past the academy. Him being in the finale is way too producer driven. I understand not wanting to have a finale with all contemporary dancers - but they really messed it up in the beginning by the casting - they let a lot of amazing non-contemporary dancers not make it.

Was not impressed with Mark K’s choreo last night.  It seemed like a mash up of moves that I have previously seen in a Ga Ga performance. 

I was excited seeing him again but that routine was a mess - didn't think the choreo was strong and then just felt no connection with the dancers. Surprised the intro video talking about them all about to cry as I didn't get any feels from it. 

Also was it just me or did anyone else get a creepy vibe from Lex’s mentor as we he was speaking his praises?  I got a “they had sex”  vibe. 

Yup. Or at least a "wanted to have sex with Lex" creeper vibe. I don't want to be a hypocrite when other mentors mention I love you and it didn't bother me, but there seemed a weird edge when he said it. 

• Love 3

Also another pet peeve, I’m tired of the forced “hip hop” interludes in the group dances to accommodate Cyrus.  Less so Fikshun and Comfort. Fikshun and Comfort have a more well-rounded skill base and can fit in well to a contemporary performance.  Cyrus is one note and while he is phenomenal in his own genre he is incredibly lacking in others.  I get the feeling that the choreographers insert these interludes to fit him.  If the criteria for an All-star is to be top in their genre but also able to perform above par in others Cyrus falls way short and shouldn’t be an All-star IMO.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Tikichick said:

I especially think throwing in disco in a week where the competitors dance 3 times is even more reckless and disrespectful.

Yes, they announced that Mia is back for two routines next week.  I predict a group routine and the guys' final number dancing together.  Good luck, Kiki.  (Please show us Ms. Michaels' facial expressions in closeup when she's forced to attempt to do something with him in rehearsal.)    If I am right I will be watching and imagining the number performed with Lex and Logan.

I hope Lex is well enough to dance because I am anxiously awaiting what clever routine they manage to put together for the F2 boys.  It should be a good laugh watching Kiki try to keep up with Lex in anything besides ballroom.  Lex might not be a great partner dancer, but I don't know what you could give them besides ballroom that would remotely look good on Kiki.

Also the only way I could ever see Kiki being an all-star if he's an all-star solely doing ballroom.  If it's a season like this one, he's going to be as much a handicap as Cyrus.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

And on a similar note, the f6 come out and then all 10 Allstars?  What are these people smoking?

The fact that the all-stars are all front and center after every intro dance has bugged me from the start - and then this time to have them completely overshadow the competitors with all 10 all-stars on stage was ridiculous. Of all the things that bugged me this season - this is the one that was the most frustrating. 

I did NOT love the closet routine.  Nearly every time they reached for the twisty center thing, it was so strongly telegraphed - they needed 2 more weeks practise with that prop to make it fluid and seamless.

I really enjoyed the routine but do agree that if they had a bit more time with it it could be flawless - you know it will be part of the tour. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, NYCNJbear06 said:

Also another pet peeve, I’m tired of the forced “hip hop” interludes in the group dances to accommodate Cyrus.  Less so Fikshun and Comfort. Fikshun and Comfort have a more well-rounded skill base and can fit in well to a contemporary performance.  Cyrus is one note and while he is phenomenal in his own genre he is incredibly lacking in others.  I get the feeling that the choreographers insert these interludes to fit him.  If the criteria for an All-star is to be top in their genre but also able to perform above par in others Cyrus falls way short and shouldn’t be an All-star IMO.

And I am frustrated that they forget Comfort's strengths in the group routines, only letting her shine in the parts where they are featuring Fikshun and Cyrus and then sending her to the back along with them.  I think she's probably capable of doing most anything the choreographers want, so let us SEE her more please. 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

And I am frustrated that they forget Comfort's strengths in the group routines, only letting her shine in the parts where they are featuring Fikshun and Cyrus and then sending her to the back along with them.  I think she's probably capable of doing most anything the choreographers want, so let us SEE her more please. 

So much this.  I feel like in every group routine I'm staring at Jenna or Gabby or someone in some big solo moment, usually Jenna.  Comfort is more than capable.  More Comfort.

• Love 4

Lex/Gaby Samba: I didn't expect this to be a technically great routine, and it wasn't. I don't think this was bad, though. They both had a good level of performance, but they do seem to be mismatched.

Koine/Marko Contemporary: It was prop heavy, but still good. Koine is very short, and I feel like it works to her disadvantage -- she looks too heavy in her leaps, to me, and the way she moves her arms, while controlled, seems a little contrived. But she's much better than Amy Yakima.

Kiki/Jenna Jazz: Kiki didn't get too much to do, at all. What little was there was good, but there was just so little of it.

Kaylee/Cyrus Hip-hop/Jazz: This was beautiful. Two weeks in a row they have had routines that capture both of them beautifully. Kaylee isn't the best technician, and she does seem heavy when she does plain contemporary, but she should work on selling her own style of dancing, for sure.

Logan/Allison Contemporary: Allison needed someone who could've matched her every step of the way, because she made Logan seem not-so-good. Not the most interesting choreography.

Taylor/Robert Hip-Hop/Jazz/Commercial/Whatever: The good thing about Robert is that I try to just watch the person he's dancing with. Taylor has been alright in everything she's done, but just alright. I think the choreography would have seemed a lot better with someone else.

Lex/Koine Disco: Not going to comment on this, except for saying that they both had a lot of fun (and Koine was dancing really well).

Logan/Taylor Jazz: Sure, Logan outdanced Taylor, but what was this choreography, really?

Kiki/Kaylee Bollywood: LOL. Was the story that Kiki the rickshaw-driver wanted to dance with his customer in 16th century Mughal India, and then did? I don't even know if there were rickshaws in 16th century Mughal India. And I don't like that singer.

Solos: Longer solos?!

Logan: Wonderful. He has a lot of strength (eg, when he rises up on his toes, and then turns into a leap, and when he uses the momentum of his leg to lift him into another leap), and yet makes the movement look soft.

Lex: Not trick-heavy! Probably because of his injuries. His fluidity always amazes me, and the control he has, even when he was throwing himself around near the end of his solo. His musicality is wonderful.

Kaylee: She can really embody music. I love that she just lets the music let her groove.

Koine: Pretty generic. I think her calling card is that she can perform really well. She has a lot of control, but I feel like it's almost too much control. The way she aligns her arms is not pleasing to me, and she has a habit of not really making the lines look long by either making fists, or opening her hands fully.

Taylor: Different from what she's done before! But she hasn't really shown us a range of movement. Why not a centre-leap? Why not show us how well you can turn?

Kiki: His weakest solo, I'd say. Good, but his Jive was his best. Not really impressive.

Edited by fan94
  • Love 2

Ah, well, I guess I should have gotten myself in gear and created the macro for "Kiki could take a big stinky poop on the stage and still be praised to high heaven" to save some typing time. I don't dislike him I just don't see the level of dance talent I see in the others and most importantly, I don't get the impression he's enjoying himself--even in his own style.

Doriana, I'm old and I was there for disco. Yes, some folks did lots of lifts and tricks but for the most part it was us in all our glitter-wedged, platform-shoe, qiana-fabriced dress (sprayed with Aquanet so our clothes didn't stick to our pantyhose), frosted lipstick glory enjoying dancing with a partner and TOUCHING each other after years of dancing being gyrating in each other's general vicinity. We had silly, happy fast-dancing fun and for the most part the injuries were minor. That's the disco I'd like to see.

My adorable 82 year old mom watches the show and this is the call I got last night:

Mom: Jenna is Drusilla.

Me: What? No that's not her last name.

Mom: Drusilla, from Buffy, she looks like her. I keep expecting her to say "Spoik, oiy want to dance wif dolly."

And now I can't not see Jenna/Drusilla. Don't get me wrong, I think Jenna and Juliet Landau are both very pretty but it's in my head and I kinda want to see her in a Buffy-themed dance.

• Love 9

I am exactly the disco age...spent my college years clubbing in Philadelphia and NY. I saw amazing dancers and phenomenal performers...but it was not a lift heavy style at all. At least on the club scene. How disco morphed into THAT I have no idea. Disco was a lot of fast movement, syncopation and arm work/spins. 

OMG Drusilla. 

It bugged me that Vanessa was making fun of Kiki about his leaping issue from the video package. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

I am exactly the disco age...spent my college years clubbing in Philadelphia and NY. I saw amazing dancers and phenomenal performers...but it was not a lift heavy style at all. At least on the club scene. How disco morphed into THAT I have no idea. Disco was a lot of fast movement, syncopation and arm work/spins. 

OMG Drusilla. 

It bugged me that Vanessa was making fun of Kiki about his leaping issue from the video package. 

I found it preposterous that a dancer could make top ten, go through the cycle of the show and make finale and not be able to perform a leap.  Even back in the days of the pedaling the "street/untrained" dancer stories that has never been the case.  Such an unearned placement for me.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

I didn't really see that as making fun.  Isn't the whole point of being on the show to get both positive and negative critique and it's fairly glaring if one of your top dancers is unable to perform simple choreography?  I'm pretty sure that is the only critique Kiki has received over the course of the entire show with the exception of week one.  I can't dance for my life but one of the first things we learned in jazz class back in the day was how to do a single leg leap.  That's not advanced. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Tikichick said:

I would have loved to see a Mia routine for Lex and Logan.  Such a waste!!  It reminds me of when Sonja did a final guy routine with Cyrus and Chehon.  I kept thinking it would have looked so much better with Cole and Chehon.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

I would have loved to see a Mia routine for Lex and Logan.  Such a waste!!  It reminds me of when Sonja did a final guy routine with Cyrus and Chehon.  I kept thinking it would have looked so much better with Cole and Chehon.

AAAAA-Men!  And yet Cyrus is the one who's had much more airtime over the years, go figure.

• Love 1

Maybe someone who knows can tell me if I'm off base here, but was it odd for Lex not to be in a Cuban heel for the samba?  Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with the style of samba being presented last night, but the shoes really threw me off.

Don't even get me started on the costumes for that number.  They gave them a hideous look last week as well.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Maybe someone who knows can tell me if I'm off base here, but was it odd for Lex not to be in a Cuban heel for the samba?  Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with the style of samba being presented last night, but the shoes really threw me off.

Thought so, too, but then his foot was clearly injured during his solo. Maybe that had something to do with it, especially because he was wearing appropriate shoes in his AT.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, fan94 said:

Thought so, too, but then his foot was clearly injured during his solo. Maybe that had something to do with it, especially because he was wearing appropriate shoes in his AT.

So the Cuban is appropriate for the style of samba they were doing?  My understanding of ballroom is limited to this show and watching legit ballroom comps on PBS -- including back in the day when Jean Marc was competing. 

I was wondering if the shoe wasn't about an injury -- but the costumes for the number were still dreadful.