Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E08: Run For Your Wife

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

Well the point wouldn't be spend time with them while THEY are working out/training. The point would be to do it together and be a support system for each other. Keeping fit and engaging in activities that encourage that and make you feel good about yourself aren't selfish pursuits that should be chastised. A selfish pursuit would be leaving his family to go entertain his side chick. Obviously we can't know for certain how much they communicate with one another but based on what I've seen, it doesn't seem like they have good communication skills. David should be making more time for his family, but is it possible that he would be open to spending family time engaging in outdoor activities that combine bonding with physical exercise? Is it possible that his daughters would actually enjoy spending time with their father in such a capacity? If Shannon is trying to communicate with them behind closed doors the way she does in front of their friends, are you really surprised that he isn't responding? I don't even know the man and even I've seen enough to know that he shuts down from confrontation. He lets her have her anger and insults and he responds with distancing himself from her rather than arguing or yelling back at her. They haven't learned how to communicate with one another in a healthy way and regardless of Shannon's intent of wanting family time with her husband and kids, she's still partially responsible for the state of the relationship between them. 

I'm not condemning her at all for her intentions regarding her children. Doesn't matter how great your intentions are, it doesn't make you immune to criticism when those intentions come with poor delivery. 

Oh, please! Training for a race that happens once a year- if that- is not selfish. It gives him a sense of accomplishment - as it should! The man is close to retirement and in better shape than most men half his age. Plus he seems to spend plenty of time with his kids. He was coaching their teams (that's how he met his side-piece ;) , they shopped for costumes together (that's how the kids had a chance to ask him about his wet dreams ;) But seriously, they've been on the show for a while now and he does not give off the vibe of a distant father, by any means. It's ridiculous to think a spouse selfish for having an interest outside a marriage... I need my me time to knit and watch crappy tv and post here, and want some time to myself to enjoy it. That makes me selfish? My husband plays in a band after work and goes to rehearsals and gigs, that's time-consuming , does that make him selfish? I think it's selfish to try and guilt a spouse into not doing what a spouse loves to do hobby-wise, because it makes the other spouse feel lonely or bored or left out. Yuck! So needy! Such an unejoyable marriage! Get off your ass, shannon, and find your own thing, if you can't support your husbands'. Preferable something that doesn't involve pity-parties, nagging, or criticizing. 

I hate the music my husband plays, but I'm always in the audience applauding, because that's what a marriage is to me. You support the crap your spouse loves to do...because you love your spouse, even if you hate his crap.

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 13

David is smart.  As you get older, you turn to jello unless you continue to do challenging workouts.   He's heading off health problems, having fun, and looking great.  As for his personality, well, no comment.  But I don't think he's selfish and taking away from family time.  The girls are all at the age where they want to spend as little time with their parents as they have to.    With Shannons nutty ass as a mom, they probably need more time away from her than other kids.

These two will be divorced by 2020.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, PhilMarlowe2 said:

To me, Vicki is one of the stars. Much more so than the other women. The remaining cast feel like all supporting players, with the possible exception of Shannon. So, to me, that is an anchor. I understand others will see it differently.

Thanks for explaining, Phil ;)

21 minutes ago, VedaPierce said:

I hate the music my husband plays, but I'm always in the audience applauding, because that's what a marriage is to me. 

Nosy Parkers want to know: Experimental jazz?  Accordion rock? Medieval troubadour songs on water glasses? :)

~i might actually enjoy the medieval water glass stuff.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, VedaPierce said:

Training for a race that happens once a year- if that- is not selfish. It gives him a sense of accomplishment - as it should!

It's not a once a year race, Shannon said he had done several since last year, she saod a number bit i foerget but it was significant and he is training consistently, they have different events all over throughout the year.

I tend to ffwd through all Vicki's work and family scenes because I find her so boring, I definitely don't see her star quality.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, film noire said:

Thanks for explaining, Phil ;)

Nosy Parkers want to know: Experimental jazz?  Accordion rock? Medieval troubadour songs on water glasses? :)

~i might actually enjoy the medieval water glass stuff.

Lol. Rush. I know, I know. Love classic rock, always hated Rush. Even love Roundabout....but still hate Rush. What can I say?

2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It's not a once a year race, Shannon said he had done several since last year. They have different events all over.

Ok, 3 times a year. Big, flipping, deal. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, VedaPierce said:

Lol. Rush. I know, I know. Love classic rock, always hated Rush. Even love Roundabout....but still hate Rush. What can I say?

Ok, 3 times a year. Big, flipping, deal. 

No she said he had done more like a dozen, again I forget the exact number but it was significant and way more than three and that he kept up the training schedule so it's not just an isolated thing it's his life now. That's his choice but I could see it putting a strain on their relationship.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, VedaPierce said:

He did not do this race 12 times last year. No way. 

You are right but it was Eight last year which is a lot and would take a lot of time not only for training but would require some traveling, Shannon apparently went to at least one that was in Monterey.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

That's his choice but I could see it putting a strain on their relationship.

David's workout regimen (taking him at his word that it is indeed a workout regimen) shouldn't put that much strain on the marriage. Shannon's constant clinging need for affirmation, her endless feng shui and alternative health therapies and, very likely, needing a plastic tube dug out of her heinie --now, that will put a strain on their relationship.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, SCS said:

David's workout regimen (taking him at his word that it is indeed a workout regimen) shouldn't put that much strain on the marriage.

If it takes up all his free time it can. I have two friends that do triathlons and both take up so much time that it has been an issue in their marriages. One decided to take a year off of training and only then realized how much time it was taking away from things so now just decides to do run one race a year so the training isn't constant and he has time to take vacations and spend a few weekends a year sailing which is his husbands passion. The other couple are also negotiating expectations and couple time.

I think both David and Shannon need to compromise and reach something where she is supportive of him and he balances his time. Eight of those races is a year is a lot especially when he has a full time job that also requires a lot of his time and attention. They should probably get a divorce because neither of them seem to want to compromise.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Vicki was so superior and sanctimonious when Meghan and Shannon refused to come to the hospital after the Glamis accident. Vicki said that she would have gone if Shannon was in the hospital because that's what decent people do. Except when given a chance to prove that she's a decent person she completely whiffs it.

If David is truly abusing Shannon as Vicki contends, Vicki failed to go to the police. She failed to go to Shannon. She failed to tell one of Shannon's friends (Meghan, Tamra, or Heather) about her concerns. Heck she didn't even share it as a bit of solidarity with Kelly as Kelly is recounting her own tales of her contentious marriage. Or Tamra and Simon's issues to make the case that Kelly should reconsider Shannon and Tamra because they might be able to bond with Kelly over marital woes. Nope, Vicki "knows" that a woman in her circle is being physically abused and does worse than nothing with the information. Vicki shares the info not to help Shannon, but to hurt Shannon. Vicki has no self-awareness. Even when you view Vicki's actions in the light most sympathetic to Vicki, she's still a horrible person and complete hypocrite. 

Vicki is SO low class. Bravo needs to dump her. She's a homely, nasty bitch with NOTHING to offer.

3 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

These two will be divorced by 2020.  

For both of their sake, I hope it's earlier. Their marriage really seems dead. Armchair analysis - it's probably time to be grateful for the family they created together, cut their losses and start over as singles.

• Love 11

I don't think it's about time together - why exert energy to be together, when you're clearly not happy in each other's company?  -- it's like saying, "I hate this little bit of stew on my plate, but maybe if I had TEN plates of stew,  it would taste more like the chicken piccata I REALLY want!" 

They just don't like each other -- never mind being in love,  they're not in like -- it's over.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

Oh, please! Training for a race that happens once a year- if that- is not selfish. It gives him a sense of accomplishment - as it should! The man is close to retirement and in better shape than most men half his age. Plus he seems to spend plenty of time with his kids. He was coaching their teams (that's how he met his side-piece ;) , they shopped for costumes together (that's how the kids had a chance to ask him about his wet dreams ;) But seriously, they've been on the show for a while now and he does not give off the vibe of a distant father, by any means. It's ridiculous to think a spouse selfish for having an interest outside a marriage... I need my me time to knit and watch crappy tv and post here, and want some time to myself to enjoy it. That makes me selfish? My husband plays in a band after work and goes to rehearsals and gigs, that's time-consuming , does that make him selfish? I think it's selfish to try and guilt a spouse into not doing what a spouse loves to do hobby-wise, because it makes the other spouse feel lonely or bored or left out. Yuck! So needy! Such an unejoyable marriage! Get off your ass, shannon, and find your own thing, if you can't support your husbands'. Preferable something that doesn't involve pity-parties, nagging, or criticizing. 

I hate the music my husband plays, but I'm always in the audience applauding, because that's what a marriage is to me. You support the crap your spouse loves to do...because you love your spouse, even if you hate his crap.

Selfish is simply putting self-gratification over accommodating others. While the term sounds negative, it doesn't have to be. You and your husband having your own hobbies that bring you happiness and gives you sense of fulfillment - that's a necessary selfishness that can be great for your relationship because it creates a partnership where you're not having to sacrifice your individuality. I think it's healthy when two people can have their own things but still have the support of each other in pursuing those interests.

In fairness to Shannon, she did later explain that the reason she didn't go to the race had to do with obligations she had for her kids extra curricular activities. But that said, that doesn't give her a pass for quickly dismissing the idea of participating with David in his interests rather than complain that he has interests that don't involve her and the kids. And it doesn't give her a pass for her horrible delivery in communication. Instead of complaining about always working out and never spending time with the family outside of the 15 minutes it takes to eat dinner with the family, she could have just as easily said 'I love that you love working out and that  it makes you happy and feel good about yourself. I don't want you to give that up but it would be nice if you found a better balance that allows you more time to dedicate to spending time with your family'.

I understand that David fucked up and that has caused a rift in the trust between them and has caused a rift in their marriage BUT Shannon chose to stay and make her marriage work. Making it work means coming to a place where both parties acknowledge how they contribute to an unhappy marriage and what they can BOTH do to improve it. Their communication sucks. Shannon is a nagger and David is a recluse in the face of confrontation with his wife. Maybe they wouldn't have to constantly remind themselves that they love each other and want their marriage to work if they ACTUALLY bothered to learn how to speak to each other first.

• Love 5
On 8/29/2017 at 8:34 AM, FamilyVan said:

Stick a fork in them, they are done.  Worse then awkward, it was horrible.  There is nothing there, they may stay married, but nope, these people can't stand each other.  This marriage has not worked out.

Here's a little piece of advice for Shannon:  Bitching and griping at your hub in public (or anywhere) about how he's never home and doesn't want to spend time with you, is not going to make him want to spend more time with you.  Shannon is just not fun.  Why would he want to stay home and hang out with her?  So she can bitch at him more?  So she can cook lousy food and make passive aggressive digs at him?  If she was happy, and had her own things going on in life, she would be fun and happy, and a person he would want to be around.  She is just a drain.  I love her on the show, but I can clearly see why her hub is like peace out.

I'm going to cut Shannon a huge slice of slack.  She is most likely still depressed from David's affair, still overweight due to emotional eating and/or the effects of antidepressants....also from David's affair, and I don't see him doing anything to reassure Shannon.  Deciding that you must spend all your free time working on your physical appearance, is selfish and not really building a bridge of trust to your wife that you cheated on.  I believe Shannon wants the marriage to work, but if David doesn't, he needs to move the hell on and let Shannon heal.  My heart truly breaks for her.  Honestly, I wish she would dump him, as he is not good for her physical or emotional health and he seems so distant and cold.  There is nothing wrong with falling out of love with your spouse, but cheating on them, and then professing that you want to stay married, when you obviously don't, is just adding to the hurt.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ButterQueen said:

I believe Shannon wants the marriage to work, but if David doesn't, he needs to move the hell on and let Shannon heal.  My heart truly breaks for her. 

Do you think she wants the marriage to work because she doesn't want to be alone, or because she truly loves him? 

• Love 5
On 8/29/2017 at 9:36 AM, Mu Shu said:

It's hard to be fit and have an out of shape partner carbing up for a night on the couch.   After awhile, all those sweaty rolls and c cup moobs are a fucking turn off.   

I'm not chubby, but I find this statement so sad.  As we age, it's hard to keep in shape, and for women.....menopause is a huge hurdle, not to mention side effects of drugs for certain illnesses.  I hope my husband never feels this way if I gain weight.  He married ME, not just my body.  

• Love 20
3 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

I'm not chubby, but I find this statement so sad.  As we age, it's hard to keep in shape, and for women.....menopause is a huge hurdle, not to mention side effects of drugs for certain illnesses.  I hope my husband never feels this way if I gain weight.  He married ME, not just my body.  

I find it sad when people accept morbid obesity as a part of the natural aging process.  It isn't.

Plenty of seniors out there are fit and trim.  It takes discipline.  David has it.  Shannon doesn't.  She whines and makes excuses. 

This isn't about your weight and your marriage.  Don't take it so personally.

On 8/31/2017 at 10:28 AM, PhilMarlowe2 said:

Again, I think mileage varies on this, because I personally find Vicki very interesting to watch. Always have, always will. In fact, she is my most favorite housewife of all the franchises. Not because I "like" her per se, but because I find her fascinating to watch - her narcissism, her neediness, her tackiness, her good grandma-ness, her work ethic, her destructive life choices, her whoop-it-up-ness, her complete lack of shame/censor ("I want to punish them for not being my friends"), all of it. I also do find her funny. Both to laugh at her - "Family Van!" - but, yes, also with her - the few times I have laughed out loud this season have come from Vicki's comic timing, her dry "You have a beautiful store" when Kelly was talking loudly about her own vagina and even her talking head jab, "I'm flattered that Shannon thinks of me when she's eating too much and not working out." Obviously, not everyone will agree on every cast member, but Vicki works for me. That said, I agree with you that the problem is now that two of the women refuse to film with her, and it is ruining this season. For me, the solution is not to get rid of Vicki. I mean, seriously, who is left without her? Are any of these women central to the show in the way that you described? I think Shannon can be funny and likable, but she doesn't have anyone right now to play off in a fun way (like LVP has Kyle). I don't think Tamra can be the star of the show. I think OC is simply adrift right now. Personally, I cannot imagine how dry and boring this show would be without Vicki.

Vicki makes me laugh!  I can't quit her.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mu Shu said:

I find it sad when people accept morbid obesity as a part of the natural aging process.  It isn't.

Plenty of seniors out there are fit and trim.  It takes discipline.  David has it.  Shannon doesn't.  She whines and makes excuses. 

I didn't take it personally; just explaining why I believe your comment to be insulting.  

• Love 14
On August 31, 2017 at 2:48 PM, HunterHunted said:

I think it's funny that you list Kandi as a strong personality. Until the past two seasons, Kandi could relied to be up Phaedra's ass and letting her horrible family walk all over her. She always had a story, but she was never really a strong personality. She and Phaedra became friends because she was the only person who never questioned Phaedra's bullshit and lies about the due date of her oldest child.

Vicki is a strong personality, but she's an asshole who turns on everybody and her life is BORING. They decided to cast around Vicki and give her 3 women who would be her allies. This quartet still hasn't produced a single interesting or entertaining scene yet. The irony of this is that every interesting scene with the other 3 members of the Vickelles (Kelly, Lydia, and Peggy) has featured one of the women who want nothing to do with Vicki. I think you are confusing anchor with plot. Vicki isn't doing anything interesting. She isn't compelling even in the way that Ramona or Bethenny are. Vicki is dumb, greedy, and incapable of checking her base narcissism to wreak havoc the way Ramona, Kenya, Sonja, or Phaedra can. Vicki isn't self aware enough for that.

I think you're confusing the fact that the central conflict for 2 seasons has been Vicki. She's the storyline not an anchor. I actually have faith that if Vicki was excised from the cast, there would still be enough conflict to make an interesting season. For example, if Kelly was the one who had to be life flighted when they were in Glamis, I don't think the argument would have changed all that much. That was an argument about manners and a difference in values. Shannon legitimately couldn't stand Kelly at that point and Meghan was fairly tired of her antics too. They would likely still have been reluctant to go to the hospital. Vicki needs to go.

I will say that I really love that Shannon and Tamra aren't refusing to film with Vicki. They are just refusing to talk to her. A lockout is great for someone like her.

I know this sounds super high school mean girl, but we did that to a girl I went to school with. She was driving in her Mercedes and trying to roll a joint at the same time. She ended up crashing her car. She had been giving another girl in our class a ride. They weren't friends. The mother of the girl who was getting a ride was a teacher at the school. The girl who crashed her car was afraid the rider was going to narc to her mom. The driver started spreading nasty lies about the rider. First at our school and then at other schools. It just pissed me off so tremendously that I proposed we lock her out. No one said a single word to her for the rest of the year. She transferred. I would never spread gossip about her of which there was a ton. I just felt that there had to be a way to communicate that her behavior was not ok. Words meant nothing to her, but the absence of words meant everything. Shannon and Tamra have told Vicki what she did wrong, but Vicki refuses to get it. However, Vicki was really bothered because they completely refused to acknowledge or say anything to her. Bravo!

Wow! That's a strong story. Absence of words...powerful stuff in the age of talk talk talk, incessant talk that goes nowhere, and where usually, there's a person involved that is skilled at twisting and turning facts around to suit their needs. Will remember. 

As for Vickie, not a fan by any means, but she doesn't send me into a rage like she does to most people, but I'm not opposed to her getting fired. Because if she were to be canned, the rest would be scrambling to find the next target to turn on. That would be entertaining. Watching them turn on each other. It would probably be Kelly.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Duke2801 said:

Shannon is not morbidly obese. 

I agree! If Shannon is morbidly obese then what is the correct medical term for the people I see on TLC "My 600 Pound Life"?   IIRC, the doctor who takes on these 600 pound people also refers to them as morbidly obese. Does one become "morbidly obese" once they are 50 pounds or more over normal weight? I don't get it.

I think I must have been almost asleep the other  day but I was "watching" Bravo (RHOC) and I was almost certain I heard Brianna say (in reference to Lydia's mom's famous scene putting her feet/shoes on Vicki's couch) "I spent a half hour scrubbing wine and dirt off my mom's couch because of her" (or something like that). Hey Brianna...I'll bet your 2 nasty little boys have pooped and peed on Vicki's precious furniture so STFU. "Don't poopy the couchy"! 

And wtf Vicki?! You brag about how much money you make and you live in Coto de Caza, but you can't afford to pay a professional cleaning service to clean the couch?! You have Brianna do it? Vicki, you are just as transparent as Grandma Tamra. 

Edited by chenoa333
Afterthought
  • Love 8

I don't think that Shannon and Vicki can co-exist on this show. This experiment of showcasing the women's individual lives with minimal filming together has failed IMO. I think that if she were left with no choice --film with Vicki or quit the show-- Tamra would swallow her pride and reconcile. They would go back to whooping it up, because that's how much Tamra needs the show. I say that Bravo will get rid of Shannon before they even consider firing Vicki.

David is just putting in his time until his daughters are older and he can escape. He has been dodging Shannon for as long as we've known these people. First it was working long hours, then it was his mistress, now it's exercise. He is so disconnected from the marriage that it is beyond the point of repair. He doesn't want to be married to her. Men are simple creatures and not that complicated. If he wanted to make it work with Shannon, he would figure out exactly what she wants and do it.

If I were Shannon I would cut my losses and divorce him. He's just not into you, lady.

Edited by LilaFowler
  • Love 10
On September 1, 2017 at 0:56 PM, ButterQueen said:

I'm going to cut Shannon a huge slice of slack.  She is most likely still depressed from David's affair, still overweight due to emotional eating and/or the effects of antidepressants....also from David's affair, and I don't see him doing anything to reassure Shannon.  Deciding that you must spend all your free time working on your physical appearance, is selfish and not really building a bridge of trust to your wife that you cheated on.  I believe Shannon wants the marriage to work, but if David doesn't, he needs to move the hell on and let Shannon heal.  My heart truly breaks for her.  Honestly, I wish she would dump him, as he is not good for her physical or emotional health and he seems so distant and cold.  There is nothing wrong with falling out of love with your spouse, but cheating on them, and then professing that you want to stay married, when you obviously don't, is just adding to the hurt.  

Shannon herself proclaimed last year that she was over the affair and that she was even happy that it ultimately brought her and David closer together.

How long do all of her actions get contextualized as a response to infidelity? If her overeating and resentment are rejoinders to David's transgressions, then it's just as unfair for her to assert that she's moved past his marital offenses and that everything is great only to continue venting her bitterness through other complaints. 

From her first scenes on the show, Shannon's approach to her spousal relationship has seemed one specifically designed (probably subconsciously) to result in failure (i.e. lamenting that she didn't get to spend enough time with him because of their unsynchronized schedules while staying up all night on the computer fully aware that he had to rise early for work; telling him that she needed to be more intoxicated to sleep with him after her took her on a "romantic" hotel getaway then wondering why he didn't persist with the grandiose gestures or physical overtures; etc). 

Not to mention her own admission that she got blackout drunk and physically aggressive to the point of trying to beat down the bedroom door he'd been compelled to lock. 

Edited by lunastartron
  • Love 6

Ewwwwww!  And OMG!

I would be a complete wreck if I were bleeding out of an eye!  Glad she's okay. 

Yay for Sophie!  LOL at Shannon.  Even bleeding out of every orifice, she's on top of car rules.

And in answer to wirewrap......No.  Andy is so going to show us last year's reunion clip.  He's probably rubbing his hands in glee right now. 

I would have loved it if Shannon had included in her instagram:

#where'smycasserolebitch?

• Love 13
On 8/31/2017 at 9:24 PM, PhilMarlowe2 said:

For both of their sake, I hope it's earlier. Their marriage really seems dead. Armchair analysis - it's probably time to be grateful for the family they created together, cut their losses and start over as singles.

So true. These two are wasting precious time pretending they are still in love with each other and can make it work. Even their kids know it's fake. 

• Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:55 PM, Mu Shu said:

I agree. MOST people who are overweight, fat, and/or obese ALWAYS make excuses. They're either TOO lazy to exercise or TOO undisciplined to put the fork down.

4 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

I don't think that Shannon and Vicki can co-exist on this show. This experiment of showcasing the women's individual lives with minimal filming together has failed IMO. I think that if she were left with no choice --film with Vicki or quit the show-- Tamra would swallow her pride and reconcile. They would go back to whooping it up, because that's how much Tamra needs the show. I say that Bravo will get rid of Shannon before they even consider firing Vicki.

Actually, Tamra reconciling with Vicki might be the thing that drives a wedge between Shannon and Tamra, which the petty part of me would love to see!

• Love 7
On August 31, 2017 at 4:21 PM, PhilMarlowe2 said:

I'm not confusing anything with anything - these are all matters of personal opinion. I find Vicki storylines more interesting than the other cast members. I don't find Tamra doing Spartan Race all that interesting, I don't find Shannon's buttermilk chicken breasts all that interesting, I don't find Meghan's modeling career all that interesting, or Kelly's vaginal rejuvenation. By contrast, I don't mind the family scenes with Vicki and her kids, I think she is likeable as a grandmother, I am morbidly fascinated by her creepy son-in-law, and I actually find her insurance business interesting because it's  real work, which is so rare on this show. Granted it might be damning with faint praise, but I just think Vicki's life - her romances, her family, her work - is way more interesting than the other women that they cast, and I simply cannot imagine this show if it were, say, Lizzie or Gretchen in her place. Again, this is my opinion.

As far as the morality of Vicki being on the show after the cancer scam, I just feel like if Tamra can continue to be on this show after basically trying to get Gretchen sexually assaulted, there's really no going lower.

Agree 100%. Even something so banal as getting the stairs re-stained was made interesting by Vickie. "No scratchy the woody" anyone? Her blissful unself-awareness, her hypocrisy, her pure ignorance and jealousy and hubris...I'm entertained by it. I didn't start watching Housewives to see elegant ladies with impeccable manners, showing off their perfect lives and families. I tuned in for the cracks, as they try desperately to portray their perfection. I detest phoniness and hypocrisy. I enjoy seeing that in them, then watching them get called out on it. I like it when rude, stupid people get called on their awfulness.  That to me is real reality. Megan is not the first person to have a baby. Cute baby, but not enough. Megan is boring as shit. Except when jimmy is blowing her off, that's amusing. If I see another vaginal reguvination moment on tv, I will puke. (And on a side note, couldn't care less about Shannon's buttermilk chicken breasts, but all the talk on these here boards about it made me curious, so I found a recipe involving marinating chicken for 1 hour in buttermilk, then pako breading and baking...BEst. Chicken. Ever. Lol lol love it! Love these boards!

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 5
On August 31, 2017 at 5:34 PM, Mu Shu said:

Vicki used to be funny.  Not that she was witty, but it was fun to laugh at her.  She used to seem clueless and hopelessly self centered, but ultimately harmless.

except she isn't harmless.  Family van.  C**** a c**** a chinaman.  No scratchy the woody.  She was always a smug bigot who bullied people she thought were lower than herself.  Bullied her kids.  Donn.   Treated Laurie like an underling when she was down on her luck.  

Her life is dull.  Homely , not intelligent woman from the Midwest has affair with homely man who gets a great position and moves to California.  She opens an "insurance selling" agency while Donn's income allows her and her unremarkable kids to live comfortably and grow her business without risk.   Divorces Donn, claims she has to give him "her " money (never mind he was the breadwinner for most of the marriage), takes up with the biggest loser yokel that most trailer park queens would steer clear of.  Gets older but not wiser, loses work friends, probably has no personal friends.   

There's just no there anymore for me.  Her status on the show always puzzled me, because she has always seemed like some ignorant doofus dropped in the middle of an affluent area, and never adapted to the lifestyle.   I get we are supposed to laugh at her, but it's at the point where laughing at her is accepting her bigotry, bullying, lying, and all around grossness.  To accept Vicki is to condone her.

I'M DONE!!!  No, really.  I'm done with her.

So funny because I just posted almost identical Vickie-isms about Vickie before I read your post. I think we are in agreement about Vickie's awfulness, however when I laugh at her, I'm not accepting her in any way. I find her to be a pretty crappy person, and I'm intrigued by how much lower she can go and still not get it. Still not understand herself. I think one of the problems is that she's not up against really smart people that have the communicating skills to really explain to her where she went wrong. She just has idiot Tamra and Jughead Megan throwing their own feces at her like the monkeys in the zoo. It goes nowhere. Not anyone to really explain to her why what she did was unacceptable. That she has no right to expect apologies, etc. I see Vickie in therapy as an interesting angle. But with a good therapist, not an ass-kissing one. Someone to explain calmly, step-by-step, what she did. I would make that part of the deal to allow her back.

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 1
On August 31, 2017 at 6:31 PM, Mu Shu said:

Phil Marlowe, you know I love you, but selling insurance is pretty dry and far less interesting than doing hair or plumbing. Vicki is a slammer, meaning she sells anything she can and as much as she can.   Call after call, just plugging along and shoving square pegs into round holes if it pays her.  Soulless. She doesn't have the skills or concerns for other's welfare to take the consultative approach. Few people who do strictly phone sales do.   You can't develop that bond and trust that a field agent relies on. Vicki does not have the personality to do face to face sales.

i do meet some interesting people to say the least, but I'd never talk about my clients.  Ever.  At the end of the day, I have no stories to tell.  It's boring, but I'm making good money again, and I help people.   Also, I cannot go train with the Delray Misfits and make YouTube videos.  It vexes me to have to present such a stodgy image, but I sell to seniors.  You have to keep your nose clean. 

The professional life of an "insurance seller" is pretty damn boring.  Sorry kids.

The professional life of an "insurance seller" is pretty damn boring.  Sorry kids.

True, but it's the people selling the insurance that can make for a fascinating ride. "The Office" was based around a company that sold paper for copier machines. If we stopped at that premise as it being a boring job that did boring things, one of the most brilliantly funny shows on tv would not have been made. It's the juxtapositions of boring job mixed with bizarre weirdos that made it so compelling!

• Love 1

Can anyone imagine the outcry if Shannon decided she was really into training because Tamra inspired her, and started training really hard to do a Tough Mudder, and David started making passive-aggressive comments under his breath, and doing talking heads about how Shannon's place is to be home taking care of her kids more. Then he doesn't show up to her race while the cameras are rolling and everyone else is getting congratulated and kissed....Holy smokes! Here come the pitch forks and the villagers! ;)

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, VedaPierce said:

Can anyone imagine the outcry if Shannon decided she was really into training because Tamra inspired her, and started training really hard to do a Tough Mudder, and David started making passive-aggressive comments under his breath, and doing talking heads about how Shannon's place is to be home taking care of her kids more. Then he doesn't show up to her race while the cameras are rolling and everyone else is getting congratulated and kissed....Holy smokes! Here come the pitch forks and the villagers! ;)

Yes, there would be an outcry until everyone found out that he had attended 1 race she ran and that he couldn't attend the day they filmed because he was driving their daughters to things they had scheduled. Oh, and there would be some raise eyebrows had Shannon cheated on David and doing things without him was part of her MO back during the affair. 

Shannon never said that David was only supposed to work to make money for the family and then stay chained to her/the girls/house, she complained that he wasn't home except to eat/sleep....which, again, was how he behaved when he was cheating on her, so I get her alarm/concern. 

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

Yes, there would be an outcry until everyone found out that he had attended 1 race she ran and that he couldn't attend the day they filmed because he was driving their daughters to things they had scheduled. Oh, and there would be some raise eyebrows had Shannon cheated on David and doing things without him was part of her MO back during the affair. 

Shannon never said that David was only supposed to work to make money for the family and then stay chained to her/the girls/house, she complained that he wasn't home except to eat/sleep....which, again, was how he behaved when he was cheating on her, so I get her alarm/concern. 

I thought Shannon said they moved on past the cheating, that now they're good. Better than ever, even. Are we still doing the "David cheated" storyline? Didn't the therapy work? Or the vow renewal that we spent all of last season on? If we're back to Shannon feeling betrayed, I wish she would have said that. And addressed it. I don't do passive aggressive. 

And they were filming , for goodness sakes! Put whatever you had to drive the girls to (give me a break) on hold , so you can at least pretend to support your spouse on camera. Shannon would have had a shitfit if he did that!

What's good for one is good for the other. If Shannon wants David-yes-dear's support, she should show the same support she would have wanted. Again. Can't stand hypocrisy. Or...if she is STILL holding onto resentment after everything she dragged all of us through last season, divorce the cheating jerk. I'm not coming to the pity parties.

Edited by VedaPierce
41 minutes ago, VedaPierce said:

I thought Shannon said they moved on past the cheating, that now they're good. Better than ever, even. Are we still doing the "David cheated" storyline? Didn't the therapy work? Or the vow renewal that we spent all of last season on? If we're back to Shannon feeling betrayed, I wish she would have said that. And addressed it. I don't do passive aggressive. 

And they were filming , for goodness sakes! Put whatever you had to drive the girls to (give me a break) on hold , so you can at least pretend to support your spouse on camera. Shannon would have had a shitfit if he did that!

What's good for one is good for the other. If Shannon wants David-yes-dear's support, she should show the same support she would have wanted. Again. Can't stand hypocrisy. Or...if she is STILL holding onto resentment after everything she dragged all of us through last season, divorce the cheating jerk. I'm not coming to the pity parties.

I had a close friend that was cheated on, she also decided to stay in their marriage and work things out and it took years for her to get past it, no matter how many times she claimed she was "fine", (they even did a vow renewal as well) those fears remained, buried but still there. Needles to say, she wasn't over it but tried as hard as she could to convince herself differently. In the end, their marriage failed and it failed because he started doing the same things he did when he first cheated, behavior wise, and low and behold, he was cheating on her again. I'm not saying that David is cheating again but that won't stop Shannon (or any other spouse in the same shoes) from worrying that he is based on past experience, it brings all those fears back to the surface no matter how hard she tries to push them away. Even with intense marriage/personal counseling, feelings/fears will still rear their ugly head time to time. Also, Shannon, as neurotic as she is, was the victim here, not David/the mistress, Shannon/the other spouse. 

Maybe David told Shannon to forget going because she had already been to a race with/for him, cameras be dammed, their girls come first.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

1 hour ago, WireWrap said:

Maybe David told Shannon to forget going because she had already been to a race with/for him, cameras be dammed, their girls come first.

I really don't believe it's a great idea to disrupt the kids' lives too much or short change the kids just for filming. No franchise shows what a colossally terrible idea that is better than this show. This show is littered with kids who were always their parents' second, third, fourth, and fifteenth priority. David does these races often enough that there are probably two more opportunities for Shannon to cheer him on at a race closer to home during the season.

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, wheresmypizza said:

Why is no one talking about Diko's hilarious 'Butterfly'? Or Lydia and her Mom's oh so adorable nose kissing routine? Oh.

They may be stupid, but at least they're boring!

There were a lot of posts re the butterfly.

I didn't see anything about Lydia and her Mom and that silly kissing thing, though.  Personally, I think I blocked it out.  I absolutely cannot stand Lydia or her mother.  And I think her husband is creepy.  I didn't like Lydia first time around, but this time she is truly unbearable.  Total pot-stirrer with her fake innocent wide-eyed look.  

The whole cast is pretty boring, IMO.  I miss Heather.  I didn't always like her, but she added a lot to this show, and was far more interesting than any of the current cast, not to mention smarter.   No one in this current group seems to have any intelligence whatsoever.

• Love 7
On 9/3/2017 at 8:38 AM, VedaPierce said:

True, but it's the people selling the insurance that can make for a fascinating ride. "The Office" was based around a company that sold paper for copier machines. If we stopped at that premise as it being a boring job that did boring things, one of the most brilliantly funny shows on tv would not have been made. It's the juxtapositions of boring job mixed with bizarre weirdos that made it so compelling!

It's true that interesting people can make compelling entertainment. However, Vicki has no one to play off of, especially at her office. It's too small and most of her staff doesn't feel secure or empowered to talk back to her. Watching her there is like watching The Office with only Michael Scott or only David Brent. Or Flipping Out with only Jeff Lewis. Vicki is just an asshole bullying people. That's not compelling. It's been the rare scene that had to do with insurance or the business of selling insurance (as opposed to feng shui, Brooks, the other women, or general housewives shit) in the insurance office in the past 5 or 6 years that's been worth watching.

In contrast, scenes at Lady Morgan's manor with the interns, racist Lydiot and Johanna, or LVP and chucklefuck SURvers are always compelling because the recipients of the crazy are rolling their eyes, giving WTF faces, or talking back. Poor Johanna is always giving the biggest WTF faces every time racist Lydiot demands some new indignity. Or I loved when news of Kristen getting fired from SUR spread through the restaurant until it concluded with the cooks rejoicing in Spanish.

Watching Vicki whine, complain, bully, and berate her employees while they have to sit there and take it isn't interesting. When she films with her kids it's pretty clear that they love her, but they can't stand being around her. Those scenes can be interesting to watch.

• Love 5